Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 4: Snake Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernard returned the adaptive weapon to a maul before joining Arissa in her search. "Just in case," He mused as they headed toward the kitchen. "Best place to put an entry to any cellar is probably in the kitchen. Maybe they had a fancy wine room like the Blackburns." Bernard let out an uneasy chuckle before opening the door and looking around. "You sure it's not easier to just pull a floorboard up and check what's underneath? If there's a basement we might be able to see where the stairs come from. No one has lived here as long as I've lived, I don't think anyone will mind."

Constabulary:

"Actually this is one of the members I'd spoken to you about quiet a few days ago,"
says Simon pointing out Kallisto. The older man turned along with the larger faintly green skinned man. Now at this moment you could see the man had abnormally large tusks and glasses on his face. His cloths were very well made seeming to contrast heavily with his brutish looking face. "Kallisto come over and join us."

"Ah, that must mean the others have arrived back in town. I must say from what little you mentioned in the letter it sounds like I'm going to have quiet the story to hear from the people invovled,"
says the older man nodding his head to Kallisto. "It is nice to formally meet you Kallisto. I am Sir Samuel Cosse just an old man with too much time on his hands. This is my good friend Allistair one of the illustrious Lamplighters."

The tusked man shook his head. "And incredibly humble with his own accolades. Sir Cosse here is actually the Co-founder of the Lamplighter's organization, and probably one of the main reasons it is so respected around here in Mordent," says Allistair who speaks with the manner of someone more academic than his exterior would lead you to believe. "It is very nice to meet you Kallisto. We were invited to hear about the murder of Maria Einhorn though I don't think is the proper place for such a chat. I understand you and your friends where off on a hunt of some sort of large snake creature. I would be interested in hearing how that tale turned out as well but perhaps we can save that for a later time."

"Indeed, Allistair. They probably just came out of the swamps, we should let them have a day to recover at the very least, I know your inquisitive nature wants to find out today but there will be more time to come, besides we should check up on Grace soon,"
says Samuel as he looks back to Simon. "You'll have to excuse us, Ms. Rivers will need her medication soon."

Allistair nods to Samuel's inference before looking back to Kallisto. "I do look forward to hearing your tales. I'm sure with someone of your stature the hunt went easily enough," says Allistair as he attempts a smile. Because of his tusks however it looks like a cross between an uneasy smile, and a growl.

____________________________________________________________________________________
Haunted House:
Taking a look around the base of the house there doesn't appear to be any clear door ways that lead down to the cellar as well as any trap doors that might lead to a cellar either. The kitchen looks in a state of disrepair with pots and pans scattered about the place, and the kitchen table having rotted away caving inward to a crack. The floorboards creek as you move about the house, but there seems to be nothing on the ground floor that is alive. The only thing of not seems to be a gathering of toys at the foot of the stairs leading up as if some youth had played with them here once long ago.

_____________________________________________________________________________________
Blackburn Manor:

"Well that explains a few things,"
says James thinking over what Leone told him about the history of Blackburn's Crossing. "So the guardians were a way for the settlers to... well settle, and then a veil you say? Must have been to keep both sides on their side of the line I'd guess so we weren't warring or rubbing elbow's as it where. Huh... wonder what would have happened if those things didn't go on. I might not even be here."

He seems to follow that line of thinking for a moment before looking over to Leone and putting an arm around her to pull her closer. "The map part is interesting. I wonder who made that? It would explain why a lot of maps of the swamp are often inaccurate or not to scale. It's like this very land that we live on is full of magic, and has a mind of it's own," said James resting his other hand on his knee. When Leone asked him more about the feeling he had he took a moment to think and remember back. "I don't know... it's there sometimes and other times its not. Like I can't make up my mind, and I've given some thought into the subject and wondered if maybe the meshing personalities between who I was, and who I am aren't fighting each other for head space. Maybe some memories are hidden away like you say. My parents have research about going into and influencing peoples minds while they are dreaming. They collected research from a Dr. Gregorian Illhausen, who described this place as "The Nightmare Lands". A place we often go when we sleep, and according to some research it might be possible to enter into other people's dreams and by affect possibly explore ones memories if the subject could become lucid in this dreamscape."

James shook his head. "Sorry we've more important things to worry about than my parent's interests in dreams, we should focus on helping the others get Merris back. No doubt Peri and Bernard are eager to go in after her, and I can only imagine how they must feel. If Jack were in that book I'm not sure anything would stop me from diving right in," says James wistfully. He hugs Leone tighter for a moment before standing up.
"Well I'll go make sure Grimdosh prepares a meal and at least you'll finally get to spend a night in a comfortable bed? Oh I almost forgot, did the trip sure up anything with Violette or is she more of a liability to hire on as protection. If she's dangerous like we may have feared than just say the word and I will send her home, I do have a few more books I could send her away with that should appease any misgivings."

Upon searching the first floor of the house and not finding any stairs down, Arissa turned to Bernard with a sheepish smile. “Apologies. I suppose you are correct, although in my defense I was taught fairly early on in my years not to tear up the homes of others.” She glanced briefly at the toys by the stairs before turning back to Bernard as she untied the pouch from her belt. “Well, I suppose here is as good a spot as any, ja?”

Kallisto bowed her head as she approached and as Samuel and Allistair introduced themselves. "It is nice to meet you both as well, and yes, we finally returned from dealing with a snake in the swamps." She tilted her head slightly as they spoke of 'Grace', "I came here to let Simon know how things had gone since we didn't expect to be gone for so long, unfortunately the heavy crossbow and bolts I borrowed were lost ... It's interesting to meet 'Lamplighters' -- I met someone recently who was very keen on them, and I heard when we dealt with a pirate attack a few weeks ago that some had potentially helped defend the town." She paused for a moment, "With Maria ... I think of those to ask about it would be either myself or Bernard -- he seemed to put the pieces together, but he explained it to me a few times as well if you cannot find him. He's head of the Ezran church in town, but he's not always there."

She looked over towards Allistair and his attempted smile, and replied with her own, teeth slightly visible, amused to see someone else with perhaps an intimidating smile. "It ... happened at least. Hopefully we can speak tomorrow, I think we may not be in town again for a little while since we still have something else to deal with."

Léone shrugs. "Supposedly. Though according to what we were told from the tribe's elder, the Guardians didn't 'guard' the settlers so much as... actively hunt down the natives, before forcing them to come to a truce under Legba's supervision. As for the veil, it's supposedly magical in some way: aside from some rare moments that it was 'weaker' than usual - hence the appearance of the natives, and the sighting of the serpent - the tribe was supposedly unable to ever find the Crossing, instead only seeing an endless land of totems... it's definitely strange."

She manages a small smile as she leans into the embrace, listening to his line of thought. "It really does seem like this place is magic, doesn't it? I don't know what your ancestors thought or how they managed what they did, but there's no changing history now. Only uncovering it from underneath all the rubble," she says, glancing back at him. "I've wondered about that too. You were in Darkon for quite some time... how long could you have worn that false identity? And what if the memory modification is suppressing those other memories... will you be alright when they all come flooding back?" She shakes her head, trying not to go wild with hypotheticals. "Nevermind, I'm sure you'll be fine. One way or another the truth will have to come out anyway, no matter how painful."

She puts some more thought into the dreamscape as she stands up herself. "Interesting... it may not be the most urgent matter right now, but I'd say looking into your parents' research is definitely important once we find time. I know you sent me some notes about your mother and I read a bit on her interests in radiant energy, but I'm sure there's much more hiding beneath the surface. In fact, Mortimer mentioned in our brief conversation that your parents were capable of things... that even Azalin himself couldn't accomplish. That alone raises questions," she says, standing up as well.

"I'll probably meet up with them in the morning, I know the others in the group had business to attend to and a good night's rest to take before jumping straight into the book. I could use some good food and a bed as well," she muses, smiling faintly at James and hugging him back. "As for Violette... she definitely has more combat prowess than we thought, but not in the way we assumed. During our travels, right before we set up the final trap to kill the Great Serpent, she confessed to us that she was a natural-born lycanthrope. A wererat if you will, though apparently without the loss of control." She shrugs, recalling the transformation in her mind's eye. "Runs in her bloodline or something - a secret that would ruin her family name if it got out, yet she shared it with us. I would still like to discuss with her about what her family-related business was - and perhaps her brother's, on the Machine - but as it stands I'd be willing to give her a chance. Liability or not, she did risk her life for us several times... including during dinner, as her weakness is apparently fruit." She chuckles. "I hope Grimdosh isn't pairing that steak with any fruitcake or anything."

Bernard moved to back to the entry of the house and found a warped floorboard. With gloved hands he pried and pulled and removed the board. He looked down into the crawlspace. "Hmm, no basement after all. I guess we should get this over with." He smiled as he pulled up several more boards to make a hole large enough for him to dig into for the sack. Using the Adaptive Weapon as a shovel, Bernard dug a hole for Arissa. "There you are, my dear." When she had placed the bag inside, Bernard filled the dirt back in and placed the boards back over the hole, doing his best to make it as safe as possible should someone come into the house. "And that's another task done." The Adaptive Weapon melted and curled back into a signet ring as he wipes the sweat from his brow smearing some dirt across his forehead. "I'm with you, all night. Where to next?" He gave Arissa a fond smile opening the door of the house for her.

Haunted House:

A sudden scream from upstairs as small feet thunder down the stairs. A small lad with a pumpkin on his head runs out the door towards the front, and stops just past the iron gate looking back to the house. The figure looks back, flames flicking behind the pumpkins visage as it looks back to the house. Flames hissing from within the pumpkin for a minute as it slowly dies down. Shoulder's slumped it begins to walk out towards the swamp.

Arissa smiled to Bernard as he worked and dropped in the pouch after he had finished digging. “Heel erg bedankt, mijn ridder.” She watched as he filled in the hole, and after he had finished, ran a hand along his cheek, sparks trailing behind and cleaning the dirt off of his clothes as they made their way out of the house. “Thank you, I really do appreciate your help. There’s not much left to-“ Arissa was cut off by the sudden wailing, and whirled around with a hand on her sword as the pumpkin child came barreling out of the house. She watched for a moment and breathed a sigh of relief as he left. She laughed nervously and and turned back to Bernard. “Well... that was interesting... anyways, to Reginauld’s?”

Bernard was surprised by the child, moving out of his way as he passed. "Didn't expect anyone... or anything... to be here. I guess that means the job is done?" He shrugged and rubbed the back of his head. "Yeah, Reginauld's sounds good. Was there anything else you needed to do after that? I know Leone mentioned Jonathan left, I wish he would have waited so we could see him off." Bernard stepped out of the house and waved his hand out to guide Arissa, "After you, Lady Hathoway." He chuckled and followed her off toward the Curio Shop.

Arissa shrugged when Bernard asked if they were done. “I would assume so. My instructions from Phoebe were far from complex.” Arissa’s expression dimmed noticeably at the mention of Jonathan, but she said nothing on the subject, removing the gloves from her hands and running a finger along them to clean them off. “No. Nothing after Reginauld’s.” She walked the rest of the way to the Curio Shop relatively quiet, although her energy seemed to return to her as she opened the door.

Constabulary:

"Don't worry too much about the equipment, Kallisto but thanks for letting me know. I'll make sure it's noted in our supplies, but I'll take it as a win that the swamps are a little bit safer now," says Simon nodding to Kallisto who seemed a bit disappointed in loosing the crossbow. At the mention of Lamplighters around during the Pirate attack Samuel looks curious for a moment. "Interesting, I wasn't aware that anyone was in the area around that time... Well regardless at least they were around to help out."

"Keeping busy, that is a commendable," says Allistair as Samuel began to lead the way out. He gave a wave at Kallisto before disappearing with Samuel out into the streets. Simon looked back over to Kallisto. "Not sure if you are that big on writing, but I could have someone help scribe you're report of what happened out there just so that we have a record. Records can be a bit of a drag but they are important for anyone trying to look in the past. We'll worry about that sometime in the morning."
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Blackburn Manor:

"Well hopefully all went well out there and we didn't start some sort of war with that natives. I'm sure Kallisto was a help in that," says James as he leans against the door. "It wouldn't surprise me if the settlers somehow knew of the sort of place the swamps were, but I wonder what specifically made them want to move here out of all the places they could have settled."

"As for the false identity... couldn't be more than about ten years right? If they do come flooding back I'll know more but hopefully I'm safely seated for such an information rush," he says as his lip quirks up into a smirk. "Falling can be as dangerous as a blade."

"That only reminds me of a rumor that floated around quietly. Supposively a young mage challenged Azalin to cast a simple spell once, and he was never seen from again. Rumor was that he couldn't cast a Ray of Frost for some reason though I've been told it is a rudimentary spell," says James whispering as if this were the court gathering. Then she shrugged returning back to normal voice. "At least that was the rumor, I've no idea if it is true. Sounds fairly outlandish but no one would speak it above a whisper for fear of a Kargatane member hearing."

"Wha... a what? Lycanthrope?" says James in the middle of Leone's explanation. He remains quiet through the rest of it and shakes his head. "I guess that might explain your concerns from earlier when you read her mind. I'm not sure how I feel about a Lycanthrope being under my guard though if you know it, I assume everyone else must know it as well and trust her. You were gone out there separated from any sort of help... she didn't bite you or anything did she?"

For a second James seems taken aback by the errant thought. "I guess I'll make sure to have an apple at hand when around her just in case, at least until I reevaluate a few things about her. As for her family ties, I think you're right it would be good to ask her directly though I'd rather do that when we are both there, not to read her mind or anything just so I can assure her of my silence on the matter since she seems to have trusted you all with it. I'm not sure it will be the wisest thing to openly mention that I know. I'll remain ignorant for the time being," says James running that over in his head a few more times.
"It does explain a bit of oddness to the group though Ludovico seemed like your average talented wizard. Do you think everyone in their family is a lycanthrope? I can't imagine that looking good on the reputation of the Reiners if anyone ever found out. We should definitely keep this between members of our trusted circle no one else. I fear what might happen if word spreads too far. Come if you wish to discuss further we can talk while Grimdosh prepares food, I'm sure you are hungry. I might have heard your stomach a little earlier."
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Curio Shop:

The Curio shop had a few things going on as Bernard and Arissa entered. First off there were about five different things floating around being rearranged and restocked by invisible hands while Reginauld gave orders to the seemingly invisible helpers, touching a piece of wood held up by a string over his desk with each instruction. He then looked over to Arissa and Bernard as they entered in.

"Been while since I've seen either of you two in here. Is there anything in particular you're looking for today or just coming to window shop like a lot of the yokels around here?" asked Reginauld before touching another one of the sticks.
"Move that Ever-burning Torch to the miscellaneous pile in the corner." After issuing the command he looks back to his customers like nothing had happened.

Arissa raised an eyebrow at the floating objects, but shrugged and stride up to Reginauld with a smile. “It is marvelous to see you again as well, Reginauld. Apologies for the extended leave of absence, I had no idea you would have missed us so much. Believe it or not, I was actually hoping to interest you in an object of arcane wonder.”

Arissa pauses for a moment before removing the gloves from where she had tucked them into her belt, and placed them on the table, sliding them towards Reginauld for inspection. “Magically reinforced Falkovnian velvet, and owned by Yorgi the Dread, the devil who was responsible for the attack on the Crossing a few weeks back, these gloves allow the owner to climb up the highest heights or swim through the harshest conditions with supernatural ease and quickness. They have served me well when I have needed them, but I believe that they could find a more suitable home, ja?”

"As safe as they can be at least. Still not a place to wander casually."

Kallisto returned the wave as the pair left before turning towards Simon, rubbing the pads on her hands. "I can write yes ... but it is a bit more difficult now if I want it to be legible and not accidentally destroy the paper. I also tend to break pencils ... I do not mind telling someone so they can write it instead. I at least wanted to let you know we had returned, but if you want to deal with that in the morning, then I might head back to the docks to meet with Marcus." She scratched at her head idly, "We plan to have dinner at the Rapids, talk about happened for us both while I was gone for so long." Kallisto smirked, "I certainly did not expect for him to get a tattoo of all things ... but I suppose sometimes he still has his surprises."

As Léone goes to speak her stomach rumbles again, and she blushes slightly at the sound. "... Right. We can walk and talk I suppose," she chuckles awkwardly, starting to follow James out the door. "I don't suppose I can grab a bottle of wine with that meal? Yelcan shared some of his during the trip, but a dirty wineskin found at the bottom of a pit isn't exactly my preferred preparation. This is good a night as ever for a drink."

Starting to head down the hall, she began to backtrack to the rest of the conversation. "We're actually on favored terms with the natives now, the death of the Great Serpent has made their village much safer and it's even unlocked an... 'oasis' of sorts for them. On that note... it's possible that the death of the Great Serpent may cause the climate around the Crossing and the swamp to shift again, as the death of her mate supposedly made them opposite in the first place. It was already quite cold heading back," she notes, continuing on.

At the mention of how long he was in Darkon she frowns slightly. "Anything could happen in ten years," she thinks to herself, momentarily pondering just what a merciless aristocratic urchin could do in that timespan. Thinking ahead to the the rumor about Azalin she raises an eyebrow and tilts her head. "Really? A Ray of Frost? That's something they teach a first-year student, if not self-taught before they even enter school... surely a master like Azalin could teach himself such a basic cantrip." She thinks back to the conversation in the swamp. "Imagine if that was true... what else would be out of his 'purview', so to speak?"

She thinks about it for a few seconds, then shrugs and moves on. "As for Violette... the rest of the group knows, she willingly transformed in front of all of us to prove she had control over the hybrid form. I don't know if they trust her entirely but they didn't immediately look to attack her at least. Things probably would've gone differently had she attempted to turn a party member, but as far as I can tell her condition is only passed down to offspring - hence her having it from birth. Either way I'd be glad to join the discussion with you and her." She looks at James questioningly at the mention of Violette's brothers. "I already had my suspicions about Ludovico but I didn't really talk to Gaspard at all, is he strange as well? I guess if they're as good as masking it as Violette is there's no telling what they're hiding."

Blackburn Manor:

As James walk and talk they make a quick detour to the wine cellar grabbing one from his stock and bringing it with them. "Not sure we'll run out of wine any time soon considering the cellar size but your welcome to try," he says chuckling. It isn't long before they make it to the dinning room where Grimdosh is already cooking some food, and the smell is drifting into the room. "So the reports on the weird weather was the cause of that, I wonder if that will change the seasons here at all or if the weather patterns were completely separate without affecting one another."

James sits down in one of the seats around the table placing both his hands down on it. "Yes it was a rather odd rumor to have about someone so powerful in the arcane arts. Odd enough that it caught the interest of many though again whether there actually was anyone brave enough to ask him that, or foolish enough to have him try... I've never found out for sure," says James as he taps his fingers a few times. "You mentioned Ludovico was interested in the Machine? Maybe one of these days we'll figure out its intended purpose. As for Gaspard he seemed well enough, a person that likes to go to events and be the center of attention though as Violette has noted he does seem to be a bit of a coward when it comes to fighting. A trait his siblings don't seem to share."

Violette entered the room her hair damp and wearing nicer cloths than when she had made the trip through the swamp upon seeing Leone and James for a moment she almost stepped away but decided as Grimdosh came in with her steak to come sit down. "I hope I'm not interrupting anything," says Violette sitting down and beginning to eat.

"Not at all, we were just discussing you actually," says James bringing his attention to her. "Leone let me know you did fairly well on the tip to hunt the Great Serpent. I already knew of your prowess from our trip to the Blackburn tomb so I was wondering if you wanted to stay on to help guard the manor. We'll be hiring more people of course but i need someone to head it. You'd have access to my library still for anything you wanted to work off on the side and you'd be paid a decent amount of wage."

Violette swallowed before answering. "Indeed, Leone had let me know as much so I've had time to think about it. Considering it might sure up strong ties between Mordent and Richemulot's alliance of the Four Towers, it might be good. There were letters in my room about Falkovnia moving forces to which I am not surprised to hear," says Violette sitting back in her chair straight. "There is another factor that you should consider before offering me this job, I am unsure whether Leone explained it to you yet since you two seem to be so close."

"And what matter would that be?"
asked James in a level voice. Violette looked at him for a moment and then to Leone before smiling and shaking her head. "It was a good attempt James but I'm fairly good at reading people. It is good that you've already been told which will save us some time, but I must ask are you ok with having one such as me within your employ, knowing what you know?"

James mouth half retracted into a frown before he pushed past whatever it was to answer. "I think my reputation is how you put it in your home land. 'Gone to the sewers?' I suspect we'll be keeping the subject hidden from anyone that might find out so yes. I am fine with this arrangement. I understand it comes with some advantages afforded to you?"

"And a whole host of disadvantages,"
muttered Violette in response before taking another bite out of her steak. A moment later Grimdosh comes back in with food for Leone, setting it down carefully in front of her and then pouring her some wine in a glass. "Thank you Grimdosh," says Violette as he fills up her glass as well.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Curio Shop:

"Don't try to sell me anything over grandiose about the item. I'll inspect it and see how I feel about it,"
says Reginauld taking up the gauntlets as another person walks into the shop waiting off a ways for Arissa and Reginauld to finish up. Reginauld picks up a pearl casting a spell and closing his eyes for a moment. "I see you are correct about the item's uses though I wouldn't chance a storm in them unless you were of fit conditions. Something like this should sell pretty quickly around here with the Sailors needing to occasionally swim and the climbing affect would work wonders for someone up on the mast. I could offer you about five hundred gold pieces for them."

His eyes briefly look over Bernard and Arissa's shoulder to the man approaching as a slight grin appears. "Five hundred gold pieces? And how much will you turn around sell that for old man? One thousand? Surely you could offer her better," says the man shaking his head. "I'll offer you eight hundred gold pieces right now to take that off your hands."

"Dergan, that is far to expensive for such an item," says Reginauld shaking his head. Dergan steps up to the counter placing a large bag of gold. "Non sense, there is no price that I would place on my life, and that item very well could save my life one day."

Reginauld looks to Arissa and shrugs.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Constabulary:

"Sailors and there tattoos. I'm surprised Marcus doesn't have more to be honest," says Simon before nodding to Kallisto. "Then I hope you enjoy your time at the Rapids. I've had a few chances to eat there with Thomas, and it seems to be good cooking. A bit rowdy there but I'm sure you and Marcus will be fine. We'll have someone help you write the report sometime tomorrow."

Simon waves goodbye as you head out to find Marcus already closing up for the docks, giving a few last instructions to the remaining hands of what they need to do before they can go home. He waves to you and then both of you start headed to the Roaring Rapids Inn. The hustle and busy is alive at this time, and Marcus sits you down at one of the tables. Terra is soon by to take orders. "Aww, I don't think I've seen Kallisto in awhile, and both of you came here to have dinner?"

"That is right Terra, Thackery better have something special on the menu for my girl here,"
says Marcus with a wide grin and a wink. Terra laughs for a moment looking over to Kallisto.

"It is very nice to see you again, is there anything in particular you'd like? I already know what Marcus wants since he comes here all the time and never changes his order," says Terra who ignores the aghast look Marcus gives her for a moment. Seeing that the expression had no effect he drops it and instead turns to look around the room for a moment before bringing his attention back to the table.
"My da, should be able to cook you up anything right quick."

Arissa deflates slightly at hearing Reginauld’s offer for the gloves but turns with a smile to the new man who entered. “Quite right you are, Dergan. A swordsman with a cheap blade and a loaded pocket falls to the one with proper arms and not a cent to his name.” Arissa smiled as she slid the gloves towards the man and took the gold pouch from him. She then turned to Reginauld with a slight smirk as she bounced the pouch and estimated the amount to be correct. “Apologies, Reginauld, but I am certain you understand that business is business, ja? I do however seem to find myself with considerably heavier pockets. Would you mind showing me your wares? I have heard that they are rather impressive.”

Kallisto smiled before scratching her head hesitantly, "I ... don't have anything specific in mind, just I suppose something hearty. Spent almost the past two weeks eating either rations or the small game Bernard caught in his traps ... it'd be nice to have something that doesn't take two or three bites to finish." She glanced towards Terra, "I guess I leave it to you and your father to decide."

Curio Shop:

Dergan nodded smiling a bit as he picks up the gloves examining them before looking back to Arissa. "I've never heard that before, but I think I get your meaning. Thank you," he says before he heads outside already trying the gloves on. Reginauld followed his eyes outside before giving a half amused grunt. "What are you sorry for? That was a little too easy," said Reginauld turning his gaze from Dergan looking back to Arissa.

"Anyways lets say I've come into a couple of items since some of the troublemaker's around town have disappeared,"
says Reginauld looking over to a bag that hadn't been set out yet. He takes out a cloak, a flute, and a glove. "A cloak that changes to look like any sort of clock you can imagine, good for matching outfits of course. The glove is particularly interesting in that it allows you to catch missiles heading your way, though I really hope you wouldn't be in such situations. The last one is a flute dropped off by an entertaining showboat that passed by recently. Pity the instrument is rather finicky when it comes to it's magical abilities. Only someone with excellent musical talent would be able to use it."

"Such a waste considering I'd never be able to use it, for it has an array of useful skills. Hardening the skin, summoning a cloud of mist, healing the wounded, flying, floating off the ground, invisibility, and even a protection spell," says Reginauld tapping his finger on the counter as he thinks.
"Any of those sound interesting to you?"
_________________________________________________________________________________________
The Roaring Rapids:

"Hearty huh?" asks Terra nodding. "I'll make sure it's a fairly large meal then. It'll be done in a few!"

Marcus smirks a bit looking back over to Kallisto. "It's the same when you are far out to sea on some of the longer voyages. Sometimes if you don't have a good cook or good supplies you start to not look forward to meal time."

It isn't long before a plate of fish comes for Marcus, and a steak, potatoes, a few large vegetables on the side comes for Kallisto. Marcus begins to eat as he asks you questions about you're trip through the swamp. He seems to be particularly interested about the Children of Blood out in the swamp and what they were like.

Arissa’s eyes widened for a moment and then she smiled to Reginauld. “It sounds as if you are already rather familiar with my interests given the selection of items you have provided here. Though Bernard here is rather talented himself, I am afraid that I might be the only person in town capable of mastering such an instrument. Seeing as you have no use for the thing, what say you we call it three hundred and fifty gold pieces for the flute, and for the lovely cloak, ja? Suitable cloaks are rather difficult to find in these parts.” Arissa smiled to Reginauld and began to count out the coin to pay for it.

Curio Shop:

"Actually I already have a buyer in mind in Invidia. They often play for the festival in Karina around this time of year, and I'm sure they would buy it for six hundred gold pieces but if your here I think I could narrow it down to four hundred and fifty with the cloak included. Saves me a bit of waiting in the long run," says Reginauld watching as Arissa is already going through her new bag of coin. He picks up the gloves and puts them back into the bag before tapping one of the hanging sticks.
"Put the bag in the back."

Kallisto nodded towards Marcus, "It was better than not eating, but yes ... I'm a little tired of rabbits or dried jerky."

She smiled widely as the plate was set before her, teeth very visible as she nodded appreciatively towards Terra before beginning to work through her meal.

As she ate, she began to describe the trip -- starting with the first thing the group had to deal with just outside town, when Violette and Bernard lost their memories for a bit. Pulling her shirt aside slightly, she showed him the scar on her chest from where Violette had stabbed her, but as she did so, "It was ... terrifying when it happened. Everything went black, and ... I felt something pulling me away, but thankfully Perian was able to heal me and I was -- well. Not 'fine', but at least not bleeding out anymore. I don't blame Violette for her actions, I just wish she had told me more of what her sword did." Kallisto rubbed the scar again for a moment, "Thankfully their memories came back, but I cannot imagine how things would have gone had it not returned."

After a few more bites she continued on to the Crevasse -- in an amused voice she repeated some of the rumours hunters had said about it, before describing it to Marcus: a bridge across a chasm, further down than she could see and looking off to the sides couldn't see the edges either. Slightly embarassed she explained how she tried to cross the bridge, but lost her footing and instead fell down into the gap. Seeing Marcus' concerned expression, she rubbed her shoulder, "The fall definitely hurt ... but where I landed was interesting. It was like a strange void, all I saw was a ladder off to the side and..." reaching into her pouch she pulled out the small dream journal -- slightly dirty from traveling with her. Kallisto placed it on the table, but kept a hand on it, not allowing Marcus to flip through it. "This journal was on the ground, and a voice just kept repeating to 'take it'. I couldn't leave until I picked it up. At first it was blank, but now ... quite a few pages are filled. A few others also fell and had to come back with various things -- Arissa actually came out with a book of Mordentish nursery rhymes." Kallisto leaned on the table for a moment, smiling towards Marcus, "I remember when you used to read them to me ... when you had first started, I still didn't really understand what you were saying, but ... I think I understood the intent."

Working her way through her plate a bit more she thought, "Hm ... the next thing I think was we met a Witch in the swamps. Her home was very interesting. She let us stay for the night, and told us a little more about the Serpent. Perian told me her father had said to stay away from the Witch but ... perhaps he knew something we didn't learn of." Kallisto rested her head on her hand as she pushed some of the vegetables around her plate. "After that we ... met the Serpent proper for the first time." Her gaze was aimed down towards the table, "I felt like my heart was going to explode ... I was so anxious about what might happen, and then ... at first I thought maybe we'd only have to deal with the Serpent -- I knew it had made its own allies of sorts, people it had taken and transformed to be more like it -- and they were there too, but then out of the river nearby came a five headed hydra ..." She shook her head, "I felt -- I ... I was scared. I thought we would die, I wasn't sure we could win, and the Serpent offered us an escape ... if I let it cast a spell on me, a 'geas' it said."

Kallisto was silent for a moment before continuing, rubbing her forehead, "I accepted ... I was too unsure, I didn't have a strong feeling in my gut like I usually do ... it commanded me to leave my weapons and return to the Crossing, and never interfere with its concerns again. It was such a strange feeling ... I can't even truly describe it. I just know I disliked it, but I felt it was the only way to get us out of a bad situation. After we traveled a bit further, we stopped for the night and Arissa managed to remove it from me." Placing her hands on the table she clenched both of her fists for a moment before relaxing, "I had never felt so angry before at what had happened -- leaving my weapons had meant I left my greataxe and as we had left, I felt a disconnect. It had been taken from me in many ways."

Picking up a fork she started eating again, "That was when we decided to find the Children of Blood ... at the very least, we had to try and tell them what had happened, even see how many of them were left." She glanced towards Marcus for a moment, "I thought maybe if there were only children, perhaps they could return with us ... give them a chance as was given to me, so long ago." Finishing her plate finally she pushed it away from her as she leaned on the table.

"The Children of Blood were ... interesting. It was ... strange to see so many of them missing limbs, the Elder only had his torso remaining." Kallisto smiled for a moment, "We were given a tour of their village ... I found it amusing how much of their crafts were wooden as well. Seems some things can't be avoided. In return for their offer of letting us stay as long as we needed, a few of us offered them our blood ... since they were low on food and we knew it would sustain them." She rubbed her arm where Bernard had cut her, "In return for our gift they offered a spear to the party, and that night they had a 'Feast' ... but before they truly celebrated, Arissa and I had to convince the tribe to help us fight the Serpent." Kallisto smiled hesitantly, "We managed to convince them -- I was so nervous ... I'm not really someone to 'rally' people, or convince them of very much, especially not with words. Most of the party couldn't understand them though ... everyone in the tribe spoke as I did when I first arrived." She smirked, "It was strange using this language so much after so long," before returning to Mordentish, "but I learned many things that night. Most of it tied to the Serpent, even the hydra, but some of it was ... more personal."

Kallisto placed a hand on the beaded armband she wore, "One of the Children pulled me aside ... her name was Ahretakan. I ... perhaps I disappointed her slightly when she revealed she was actually my mother. Disappointed in that I didn't react more but ... she was a stranger to me. Any memory I might have had of her was old and faded. Ahretakan told me of my younger sister as well ... and my original father. You'll probably be amused to know he's apparently where my habit of growling comes from." She smiled towards Marcus again before frowning. "The Child who came originally ... who asked me to deal with the Serpent ... she was my sister, but was taken by the Serpent." Shaking her head for a moment she continued, "We learned of a Graveyard in the Swamps, and went there next -- we met another Child of sorts -- an Elder from generations ago who had taken part in killing the other Serpent along with some from the Crossing. He had become a guardian of the Graveyard, and told us much before we left again to prepare for our final fight with the Serpent -- deciding to do it in the Graveyard using the same Glyph that had been used in the past."

Here Kallisto was silent for a few moments as she thought back to the fight. "It was strange ... there was so much buildup to the battle, yet it was over so quickly. When we activated the trap for the Serpent, she came with the Hydra and Children she had taken -- Violette and a few of the tribemembers we had recruited went to deal with the Hydra so we could focus on the rest, but ... the Serpent forced its children through a wall of thorns that was formed from someone among the party, and when the wall fell, the only one that had made it through was the Serpent. It didn't take much more to make the Serpent fall ... one of the Serpent's children had the axe that was mine, and once it was returned to me, I ... dealt the finishing blow."

Kallisto placed her head on the table, "She was ... delirious at the end ... calling for her mate. I told her the first time we met I was not there to merely kill her and be done with it, prophecies and destiny be damned. I offered rest from her neverending cycle ... rest from waking each time after her latest death only to recall her missing love, the betrayal she suffered so long ago. I didn't want to fight her, I wanted it to be her choice ... a path with the least death." She turned towards Marcus, still with her head down, "But things will be as they'll be ... and death still showed its face." Her eyes were slightly damp as she started to reach the end of her story, "When the Serpent died ... she bled, but it was unusual ... the Graveyard began to fill with blood. We fled, collecting the bodies of the dead Children -- even taken and transformed, they didn't deserve to be left to whatever was happening to the Graveyard. Before we left the village ... the Shaman of the tribe had said they would make a pilgrimage to a 'Lake of Blood' once the Serpent was killed, but no one knew where it was. Turns out we had fought where it was -- when we turned back, the Graveyard was instead a Lake of Blood." Pushing herself upright, "We carried the bodies back ... and laid them on funeral pyres." Placing a hand where her beaded bracer used to be, "I ... gave half my bracer to Ahretakan, and placed the other half with the sister I never knew ... the only gift I ever got to give her." Moving her hand further up to the armband, "This is half of the beaded arm band Ahretakan wore ... I split it with her before we left. When the Serpent died, I took two teeth from it, one I left with the village Elder, and the other I kept with me."

Kallisto reached into her pouch and pulled out the long fang of the Serpent, placing it on the table in front of her. "The rest of the journey was reasonable ... just a lot of travel in the swamps. Most of us were quiet, I think we all wanted to just ... return to the Crossing. To come home."

Arissa looked up to Reginauld from her counting and stopped to think for a moment before nodding to Reginauld with a slightly satisfied smile. “I suppose that would be agreeable, considering the unexpected toevloed of gold. It is quite a lovely instrument as well, so the quality is worth the price paid.” Arissa glanced down at the bag and sighed briefly before continuing to count out coins. “Tell me, however, why is it your people insist on such a cumbersome unit of currency? It is positively ridiculous having to lug around a pouch of solid gold in order to make purchases. Still, I believe this will be more than worth the bargain.”

Arissa finished her counting and slid the large stack of gold over to Reginauld before carefully taking the flute in her hands and inspecting it, feeling it vibrate with power. She smiled to Reginauld as she stowed it away in her pack, and took the cloak, holding it out briefly in confusion. “How does the cloak work? Does it change with a thought, or with verbal commands?”

Bernard was relatively quiet as he looked around the shop at the trinkets and baubles, careful not to run into any of the many floating items in the shop. He looked to Reginauld as he spoke, but had nothing really to add to the conversation. When Arissa sold her gloves, Bernard gave a satisfied smile at the price she'd gotten from Dergan. As she proceeded to request Reginauld's goods, Bernard was disappointed to hear there was nothing of use to him on offer. He gave a slight sigh, "Arissa's way with instruments is simply enchanting. I could listen to the songs of her homeland for hours." He gave Arissa a brief smile as she complimented his own skill with a flute, but she was likely right he was no master, it was simply something he'd learned to pass the time. In truth he'd only ever played the crude simple flute he'd crafted for himself in the swamp. When Arissa brought up the currency Bernard chuckled, "If it is too heavy, I could always carry it, dear. As for the purpose, gold has value regardless of domain. It allows us to do business across boarders and insures that our debts are settled." He shrugged at the thought then rubbed his eyes and looked out the window of the shop watching the other businesses start to close up for the evening.

Curio Shop:

"Perhaps you should see if you can ever make your way to Paridon were they use paper money, easier to transport by far but much easier to loose larger sums of money due to the convenience," says Reginauld amused by the comment. "As for the cape all you need to do is spin around twice and it will take the desired shape."

"I had heard a few rumor's coming from the Roaring Rapids that she had played an 'enchanting' song or two. She'll definitely get more use out of it than I would be able to, though I'd avoid too much displays of power. People are still afraid to come near my shop with some of the recent spells I've used in the Apothacary fire and Pirate attack," says Reginauld smirking a bit before it turns to a scowl.

"If you wanted to make that gold bag weight a bit less though I'd suggest transferring some of it into platinum which I could do for you if you'd like," says Reginauld as he places the amount of gold into a large drawer that he pulls out. "Regardless it is nice having a few more familiar faces back around town. Lets just hope there's nothing noteworthy for a few days."

Roaring Rapids:

During Kallisto's speech Terra had brought Marcus a mug of ale, and then sat down listening to the tale as well until someone else needed to order something as well. Marcus was quiet through more of it just sipping and he was done with his mug well before Kallisto had finished the telling. At the end he just shook his head thinking about it. "Sounds like you went though a lot, though I'm not sure I understand all of it. It's clear you wanted to get some of it off your chest though so that's good. Maybe it could be made into a ballad or something if you ever find the right person for that kind of thing," says Marcus smiling a bit wider at the suggestion. "Anyways I'm glad your home too. Was getting a little weird when Ocer began to pile up things on the doorstep while you were gone. That dog doesn't have any idea of what property means."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back