Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 4: Snake Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Entering the Crossing, Bernard smiled. "Finally home." He took Arissa by the hand, "We should go to the church, see Archibald and have him document our union." He turned to Peri, "Take care of yourself. I'll see you later, at home, yeah?" He gave her a smile before pulling Arissa toward the church.

"Durendal, how's the house? Lina didn't burn it down, did she?" Bernard mentally chuckled as he and Arissa neared the church, entering through the large main doors. "This should be quick, I hope you don't have many errands this evening. We still have to burn your letters."

Church of Ezra:

Archibald looks up from the main room to see Bernard and Arissa coming back through. He judges the mood for a moment before offering a smile. "It is good to see you return in such high spirits. I had begun to worry with you gone so long, but I see my prayers to Ezra were heard," says Archibald approaching both Arissa and Bernard. Meanwhile mentally there was a horse snort of laughter.

"The little one has flown around the house easily distracted, and occasionally gone out about the town invisibly I think," comes Durendal's reply.

Arissa followed after Bernard, somewhat nervous about how the news would be received by town. She looked over to Bernard and managed an apologetic smile. “I am afraid I actually have much that I need to do before we embark on our next quest... I still need to accomplish Phoebe’s task. I also would like to pay a visit to Reginauld, I hope to sell these useless gloves for something that may actually be of use in our quest. I am certain that there are other things, but they may have slipped my mind at the moment.” Arissa subtly ran a hand over herself, magically cleaning herself as a nervous habit before she entered the church.

Léone breathes a deep sigh of relief, happy to finally be back in the Crossing. It was a heavy journey back, especially after that strange encounter with Mortimus, but she tried her best to shrug it off and get out of the swamp as quickly as possible - despite the heavy feelings the others had towards her for keeping secrets and telling lies.

That night she had tried to sit the group down and explain the scenario: the morning they were at the witch's house James had informed her of Mortimus's arrival, and while she was worried there was literally nothing she could do four days out in the swamp - she believed there was no point in worrying the others while there were more pressing matters afoot. She had discovered that the Helle Welle was a prearranged transaction between James's parents and Azalin Rex, and she didn't want to risk him taking it by force - especially when she found evidence that Azalin had already tampered with James's memory to an unknown degree. And while she most likely didn't want to have any "future ventures" the fact that Mortimus mentioned there were things James's parents could do that Azalin himself could not raises many questions, and she wanted to figured out just what the hell they had hidden away that made it so worthwhile.

Finally getting all of that out of her system, she willingly took whatever questions or concerns that the others had for her once they knew what exactly she had gotten herself into. For the rest of the trip she continued to count down the days to returning, keeping James updated on how close they were and eventually telling him that they had made it back to town safely.

Waving the others off she eventually made her own way back to the manor, opening up the familiar front door and wandering around its familiar halls once more looking for a particular face. There was much to do and much to think about, but for now she just wanted to see James again.

Bernard smiled back to Archibald, "Ezra guides us. She has also sanctified our union." Bernard looked to Arissa and lifted their hands into the air. As he focused, the silver dust floated down from their shoulders to form their knot once more. "Witness our marriage knot and please make sure that it is recorded in the town records. There is still more work to be done, but when we are finished I expect to hear how the church is doing. Also, alert any acolyte who is on watch to be mindful of any from the swamp. There is a creature out there that stole my memory and had the form of a man. Do not be tricked by it. And if the Children of Blood flee the swamp to survive the cold, offer them lodging and keep them fed and they should be no danger here." He watched the flowing of the dust in the intricate knot with an expression of joy, pulling Arissa in to kiss her as the knot turned to dust and fell to the floor once more. "I am glad you are safe Arissa Hathoway. If you'll have me, I'll join you on your errands." He gave her a warm smile before turning back to Archibald, "There is much to be done, do you need anything else before I go?"

Church of Ezra:

"Children of what...?" asks Archibald slightly confused at that terminology before focusing on the creature. "Yes, there was a man that came to town asking about such a thing about almost a week ago? Said his whole village had been killed by the thing, I wasn't sure what to make of the story but let him know I couldn't do anything to help him until you got back. I believe he was going to stay at the Roaring Rapids for now? Jared I believe his name was. As for the paperwork I can get that taken care of today. We've had some recent cases of losses in the crossing as people were being found dead. Luckily some lamplighters are currently in town with Sir Samuel Cosse, and they seem to have figured out what it was though I'm afraid they wouldn't tell me any of the details despite an inquiry."

"Take the rest of the day to rest, you've probably earned it with all that stomping around the mud out there," says Archibald smirking a bit. "I'm glad to see both of you have found some happiness in the bond Ezra gives between husband and wife."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
Blackburn Manor:

As Leone and Violette arrive at Blackburn Manor Grimdosh greets the door and Violette steps in past him handing her pack to him. "Grimdosh, if you could cook me a steak that would be delightful, I will be down to devour it shortly," says Violette continuing on her straight path to the showers. Grimdosh looks at the pack for a moment before slinging it over his shoulder and looking at Leone. "James is in the fencing room."

Upon reaching the fencing room, Leone would see James attacking one of the automaton's furiously. Having never seen him fight before you are impressed with his form, and the speed at which he reacts. He does not seem to notice you enter and is saying numbers whenever he gets a strike in, counting up by one each time he lands a blow. Suddenly the Automaton strikes forward after he stumbles back slipping from the sweat on the floor, the blade instead of aimed for his chest heading towards his face. James' arm twists just in time to deflect the blow past the side of his head and then lands on the floor to which the Automaton seems to reset itself in the default position.

"Watch you're footing," he scowls to himself before noticing Leone finally in the room. "Your back! Sorry I was testing the different settings on the automaton. It seems to have a variety of settings. Some harder than others," he says slowly standing up and wiping his head off with a towel. "I know we spoke briefly about Mortimer and the Helle Welle but I knew we couldn't have a proper conversation through those messages."

"I'm guessing you probably haven't heard what happened yet?" asked James his expression going grim and searching Leone's reaction for any sort of recognition.

Léone peers inside the fencing room, impressed at his fighting skills. "He definitely knows his stuff... I should ask him to teach me a thing or two sometime." She raises an eyebrow at his scowl, but says nothing of it at the moment. Waving him down as he approaches, she mutters a small incantation and cleans him up with a bit of magic, then does the same to herself as she notices she's probably has a similar stench. "It's definitely an interesting contraption," she says, glancing at the automaton before turning back to James with a weak smile. "It's good to see you're still alright at least. And handy with a weapon - that was quite the show."

Her smile fades as he mentions Mortimer and the Helle Welle. "Right... that. You had me worried sick - and for the record, you're not nearly as good of a liar as you think you are. He knows something's up and is reporting back as such." When he mentions something happening, her expression softens to show weariness and worry. "... No? What happened?" She frowns, going over the possibilities in her head. "... Did he use it already?"

Arissa smiled to Archibald as he approached, but looked to Bernard, unsure of how the Crossing handled such affairs. She allowed Bernard to lift her hand and once again watched in wonder as the knot formed between them. She kissed Bernard back, no longer caring who might have seen. She beamed to him as he pulled away, briefly holding his gaze before smiling mischeviously. “I would be honored to have you with me, Bernard Hathoway. After all, I need someone to dig me a hole.”

When Archibald began to speak again of the mind wiping monster and of Jared, Arissa’s expression slipped. She glanced over to Bernard with a hint of worry in her eyes before turning back to Archibald with a smile. “Thank you, Archibald for your well wishes, and for all of the news. I cannot speak for Bernard, but gods know I need a good rest. Ezra kept us safe in our recent misadventures, and I pray she will continue to watch over my new family for many years to come.”

Last edited:
Kallisto was glad to feel the familiar grass and rough pathways under her feet again as the group finally returned to the Crossing. She gave a long sigh looking over the town.... The tribe had been interesting, but she felt this was her territory now, this was where she felt comfortable. She understood the swamp, but it was the Crossing she had truly come to know and consider home after so long.

As the group began to split off, Kallisto glanced towards the small string of beads she wore on her upper arm, half of the string of Ahretakan's beads, before pulling out the serpent tooth she'd kept of the two she'd collected. Putting the tooth away she made her way towards the docks, trying to spot Marcus after so long -- she'd asked Leon on her nightly messages to ask after him but it seemed with everything else it had gotten lost. Finding him on the docks eventually she walked up behind him, grabbing him in a bear hug, lifting him slightly for a moment. She made sure to keep the axe pointed away as she hugged him, giving a low growl of a sigh. "We're finally back... We all came back..." she muttered before finally releasing Marcus, not caring about the scene she was likely making. Her clothes were dirty and torn in places, her braids scruffy and unkempt, various scratches and mostly healed scars across her arms.

Peri separates herself from the others as Bernard bids her goodbye as his long day continues. Heading home to the empty cold house, it’s atmosphere unwelcoming with Merris gone and having been left for days. As she pushes her way in she greets the room. “I’m home Papa, Momma,” a tear escapes her leaving a streak across her dirty face.

Clearing her throat she calls out to Lina setting her stuff down and leaning her staff by the door. Stacking wood into the fireplace the least she could do was make it warm for Bernard and Arissa. Tossing a bit of flame at the dried wood she makes her way to the kitchen and repeats the process.

Peri then set to the task of refreshing the water from their well and filling a few extra buckets to heat to soak her feet and wash with. As she washed she set a water to boil in the kettle preparing tea.

Dressed in clean garb and the shall her mother had made she settles herself with cushions in front of the living room fire just watching the flames sipping her tea and hugging her knees.

——————————————————
A Few Moments Later
——————————————————
After a few minutes of staring at the fire ad the letter she had found at the door Peri slips it into her pockets unread as she sets her teacup on the mantle and steps out into the early evening to catch the grocer before he closes to refill the larder.

Upon getting home again she puts everything away and begins a simple stewed dinner. Potatoes, carrots and onions, cubes of beef browned in butter. Letting it simmer in water with some different spices salt and pepper mostly and a bit of flour to thicken it.

As dinner cooked Peri tidied making sure to not wander too far in order to stir the mixture. When all was said and done it was hearty, perhaps not as flavorful as Bernard would have made it, but good none the less. Setting the pot on the cooler part of the stove she waited for Arissa and Bernard to return as she set herself by the fire once again with another cup of tea.

Bernard sighed slightly, but smiled. "The Children of Blood are the last remaining tribe in the swamp, their climate is in flux and they are not prepared for the winter. If any wander in, take care of them and keep them fed, just as we should any in need who come to the Crossing. I think Simon wanted me to meet with Sir Cosse and I should speak with Jared, but for now, you are right. I need rest, and the night is not yet over there is more yet to do. Thank you for taking care of the Church in my absence." Bernard turned to Arissa, "Shall we away?" He shared a smile with her as they began to leave the church.

Walking through the streets, Bernard turned to Arissa, "It's good to be home, but it seems the troubles continue. Are you sure we can sit by and do nothing once we've recovered my mother from that book?" He reached for her hand, "I am glad to be home with you, my love. Shall we dig a hole?"

'Haunted' House:

After getting confirmation from Archibald that he would keep an eye out for that, though he seems a bit taken aback like he wants to ask more but realizes you both need to get on with your rest, and that a newly wed couple should get some time alone. Both of you wander the streets eventually finding the house in question for it is the only abandoned house in all of Blackburn's Crossing not too far from the Gilded Ladle. An Inn that most on foot travelers end up resting at not too far from Church of Ezra. Phoebe's words come back to Arissa with her instructions. "You will take a bag and bury it under the floorboard of an empty house. Simple."

It sits before you worn out, the door closed, and windows busted out. It is the sight of a haunted house if you have ever seen one. It is clear that it used to be a beautiful house at one point, and there is a loud creek as you push through the small iron gate into the yard.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Blackburn Manor:

"I don't know... I think I did a pretty good job but perhaps I said something. I don't know," says James composing himself as his breathing slowly came under control. "Two days ago, as far as we can tell in the evening King Azalin Rex and the head of the Eternal Order Lowellyn Dachine activated a device that I believe was supposed to channel the Helle Welle. They had gathered quiet an audience in the center of Il Aluk near the university. We don't have any reports as to what happened from within the city but outside a large wave of bright light emanated from within pulsing outward to encompass the whole city and out a little ways into the country side.... I've exchanged letters with a few that have written me and have sent a message to Lord Balfour."

James looks at Leone the color that was there from exertion was slowly draining. "The city remains in tact from whatever the wave was but anyone approaching the city to investigate has fallen deathly ill, and some have even dropped dead pressing to far into the 'shroud' which is what they are beginning to call the zone that seems to have over taken the city," says James shaking his head.
"I had communication through a magical mirror with a friend of mine from Nartok. He says the Falkovnians have had word that King Azalin is not known to have survived the event, and they are mobilizing another invasion. I fear for their lives, and cannot help but wonder if maybe somehow the Helle Welle was broken or altered... or maybe it wasn't finished yet?"

"What have I done...?" James asked himself clearly unsure of what else to say.

The Crossing Docks:

"Whoa there Kallisto, not so tight. You're liable to break on old man's ribs doing that," he says laughing a bit. As he looks around seeing everyone staring he yells at them to get back to work before looking back to Kallisto. "Been gone for quiet awhile but I knew you'd be back. Figured I'd get a tattoo while you were gone so I'd have something to show you when you got back."

Marcus grins for a moment rolling up his sleeve and showing a snake crushed under an axe on his upper arm. "I assume it was something like that yeah?" he says grinning widely.
"I'll catch up with you a little bit later tonight and you can tell me all about it."

Arissa looked to Bernard as he took her hand and smiled to him nervously. “I am relieved to have returned with you safely as well. I suppose you are correct, there is much to be done here in town. I just wish our lives were less dangerous... I had not planned to live my life every day checking under stones for giant reptiles, or wondering if the next person I will speak is going to turn out to be some sort of monster on our side, or that will try to kill us.” Arissa looked off to the side for a moment before turning back to Bernard with determination in her eyes. “Still, I stand by what I said before. I will not rest until I see Merris returned to us, you have my word on that.”

Arissa trailed off as her eyes fell on the desolate house. She looked at it nervously for a moment before smiling to Bernard. “Well, shall we? I suppose there is little need to knock, ja?” She pushed through the gates and moved up to the house with feigned enthusiasm, turning back to Bernard with a smirk before trying the handle of the door.

Upon hearing a knocking Peri folded her letter and tucked it back away. When she called out and Yelcan answered she quickly opened the door. Upon seeing Yelcan the tears she has just dried spilled once more her throat choked her words as she wrapped her arms about him and squeezed him tightly. Hyde slipping to her shoulder to nuzzle her as she tucked herself up under Yelcan’s chin.

A few moments pass the chill in the air cut off as they closed the door and settled back in front of the fire with more tea. Leaning against Yelcan head resting on his shoulder she smothered, a belly up Hyde, in her lap with tickles and rubs on the good spots.

Haunted House:

Upon entering the house, a staircase leads up to the upper floor almost immediately in front of you with two side hallways behind the stair case leading off to the left and right. Behind the staircase is also a double door leading into another room. To the immediate right and left of you is a door on each side seemingly to lead into a kitchen and a sort of waiting room. The doors barely hang on hinges and are left partially open. Bernard upon opening up his divine sense he detects nothing within this main room or the staircase.

Léone at first takes note of his seeming lack of awareness, but her attention immediately shifts to the news about Il Aluk. She stayed silent throughout the entire report, her expression slowly darkening as time went on. "Oh, by Ezra... all those people..." She sat there processing all of the information, still in a state of shock. The entire city's population, gone? Did they spark a massacre and an invasion from dealing with a device they could not comprehend? Why was such a thing created by his parents?

She leans back against a wall, rubbing her temples as she considered the possibilities and spoke her thoughts out loud. "What the hell happened...? What sort of machine could drain so much life away without impacting the physical city structure at all - and why would Azalin think it was safe to test it in front of so many people with that level of power? On top of that Mortimer thanked us back in the swamp, saying that the Helle Welle was made to Azalin's exact specifications... could that mean... " Her voice trailed off, unwilling to finish that line of thought. He couldn't have known what was going to happen... could he?

She slumped against the wall, looking just as distraught as James did. "I... I don't know what's going on. I don't think anyone currently alive knows either. And to think, I suggested sending the Helle Welle over just to get Azalin off our backs... how naive could I be?" She puts her hands to her face and stares at the ground, at a loss for words. All of those deaths were on her conscience as well now.

Kallisto placed her knuckles on Marcus' tattoo to make sure her claws didn't cut his arm, nodding slightly, "Yes, something like that."

She glanced around at the busy work on the docks, rocking on her heels for a moment, "I probably need to speak to Simon if he's still in today... maybe when I've finished you'll be done as well and we can talk about what happened for both of us. I just ... had a bad feeling and was worried it had come true." For a second her hand went to where her bracer used to be before remembering it was gone, and dropped back to her side instead. "I wanted to know one way or the other..." she turned back to him with a tired smile, "Maybe we go to the Rapids, a dinner neither of us have to make -- maybe I finally try the alcohol you drink sometimes?"

Docks:

"Sounds like a plan, I'll meet you there. Maybe introduce you to some of my friends there, you might like the short one, crooks. Just don't talk about his nose, I think he might be a little sensitive about it," says Marcus laughing and slapping Kallisto on the back. "I will see you soon. In the meantime I have to finish up work here, and after that maybe ol' Thackery will pull out the stops to try and get more of your coin with his cooking."

Marcus gives Kallisto one more hug before moving off to direct the last bit of traffic at the docks.

Blackburn Manor:

“That is partly what frightens me the most. Did he want that to happen? To his own people no less? Or was it sabotage from my parents? Why did Mortimer think we were my parents?” asked James as he saw Leone slump against the wall. He frowned coming over to sit close next to her.

“Don’t blame yourself, it was my decision. If anyone is to blame it is me, I guess I’m just cursed to blow up anything I ever touch huh?”
says James before looking over to Leone and trying to feint a smile. “Be careful one day you might just explode when I walk in the room.”

He laughed though it was easy to tell it was forced. “You know I spoke with Jonathan before he left about his mother and what he was told about the situation. I’m starting to get the feeling that was somehow connected to the larger picture…” he says watching as the automaton slowly begins to sink into the floor after being inactive too long.

“Something about it seems familiar to me somehow, and I don’t understand why. What manner of creature could switch bodies with other people? How would you even track such a thing?” he says continuing on before musing.
“I bet my parents would have been interested in trying to mimic something like that. Crazy fools. The rumors don’t even come close to what they must have been into with Azalin Rex, and the devices they invented in this house of mine.”

Bernard stomped the ground a few times, listening to see if it was hollow or solid. He recognized the sound of a space between the floor, but had no idea how large it might be. Turning to Arissa he shrugged. "We could try pulling up a floorboard and see if there's a crawlspace, or we can look for stairs down into a basement. Though I'm not sure how common basements might be so close to a swamp." He held out his hand and commanded the Adaptive Weapon into a shovel. "This should do the trick, lets get this over with and get out of here. I'd like to burn these letters and enjoy the evening with my wife, if that's alright with you." He smiled at her punctuating it with an exaggerated wink.

As Kallisto worked her way towards the constabulary, she spoke a little with Aluc, pointing to a few posters trying to see if she could read or not. Hearing her struggle to make out what the letters were, Kallisto smiled, thinking back to when Marcus had tried to teach her how to read. She offered to teach Aluc as well, however she still had to help Bernard with getting Merris back from the book.

Eventually she entered the constabulary, she caught Simon in the middle of a conversation with an older man, noticing someone else standing to the side -- a man who seemed as though his shirt didn't quite fit him well. Giving Simon a slight nod she leaned against the wall, waiting for her chance to let him know what had happened in the swamps.

Arissa pauses to listen for sounds in the house as Bernard stomped the floorboards. Upon hearing Bernard asking to move things along, she laughed and smirked to him. “Gods, I would have expected a Paladin of Ezra to be more patient. We will be done soon, and you can ‘enjoy the evening’ with your wife all you like once I am through my errands.” She paused for a moment to consider his question. “I suppose it is worth looking for stairs. I would hope to cause as little damage as possible while we are here.” Arissa rested a hand on her sword as she began to move around the house, looking for the stairs down.

Léone sighs, giving James a solemn nod of acknowledgement. The joke didn't help her feel much better, but she appreciated the attempt at least. "...It's alright. I'll be fine I think. If nothing else I would've exploded by now if that was really your curse." Forcing a weak chuckle, her gaze wanders over to the fencing automaton as it sunk back beneath the floor.

"There's definitely a much larger picture here, between what your parents have done and what your family has done as a whole," she says, mulling over what she had discovered during the trip. "I learned quite a bit out there. Your ancestors made a deal with Legba for the Guardians, so they could hunt down the natives... then another deal for placing the totems down and putting a 'veil' around the swamp, so to speak... then they even managed to hunt down and kill the Great Serpent's mate while searching for immortality... and seemingly succeeded in their venture, to a degree."

She reaches for her bag and hugs it tightly to her chest, looking back to James as he sat down next to her. "That map you gave us? It was enchanted to magically track down the swamp landmarks, even as they shifted around... how did they make that in the first place? How much did they know about the nature of the swamp?"

At the mention of it all seeming familiar, she frowns again. "...It probably has to do with your modified memory, I'm almost certain of it. Something is being hidden away from you, but I have no idea what it could be or how much it could be. Or what happens when it's fixed... but I don't have time to even consider that yet, not while Merris is still in the book." She considers it for a second, then glances up into his eyes. "I wonder... do you often feel like something is 'off'? Like something seems familiar when it logically shouldn't, or your emotions rise further than you would normally see yourself going? Perhaps it's related...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back