Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 4: Snake Eater

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arissa nods in understanding at Van Richten’s refusal of breakfast. “It is very kind of you to offer to help Perian with her new duties.” She then frowns thinking of the town’s mass gathering at the church. Has something new happened? Bernard would be there, ja?

Unable to shake her feelings of apprehension, Arissa resolves to go see what was going on herself. She smiled apologetically to Van Richten. “I must apologize once more, it seems that hosting is not a skill that I am well versed in. If something this important is happening, however, I believe that it would be best for someone to be there for it. I trust Perian will prove to be far more enjoyable company anyways, ja?”

Arissa curtsies again to Van Richten before returning to her room to collect her flute, fixing it to her side just in case. She glanced again at the sword as she left, but then shook her head. I am certain everything is fine... Nonetheless, she quickly walks across the surprisingly barren town as she approached the church, from within which she could hear voices but not make out who it was or what they were saying.

Arissa carefully opened the closed doors, relieved when she saw that it was merely a sermon. She was about to leave when she saw that Bernard was presiding over it, and after a moment of hesitation, stepped in and found a seat in the back, ignoring the glances she got as she walked in.

She smiled as she listened to Bernard’s talk, trying not to call attention to herself so as to not distract him. I pray that Bernard considers me a companion on his quest as well. Durendal is a fine steed, but no replacement for a real person, ja? Or perhaps he still thinks of me as a horse. Arissa quietly giggled, probably drawing more stares, but not minding them in the slightest. As Bernard went on to talk about his new, more altruistic and accepting plans for the church, Arissa nodded in approval. The church should not turn a blind eye to those who are the least fortunate, ja? Jeremiah seemed content to care for his flock when it suited him, but ignored the plights if all others. It warms my heart to here that Bernard sees the mistakes of the old church.

After Bernard concluded his service, Arissa waited a few minutes to allow the townspeople to filter out before approaching Bernard, beaming at him. “Greetings, Vader.” She looks at Bernard’s old, ill-fitting robes and giggles, smiling teasingly at him. “Could the church not provide robes for it’s new head? I half expect to see your knee caps when you walk.” She then looks at him with sincerity in her eyes. “I rather enjoyed your service, Bernard. You seem to be a born speaker, ja?”

Bernard waved off the last few people and turned to see Arissa approaching. When she had spoken, he smiled kindly. "I'm glad you came to see it. I was a bit nervous, but what was said needed to be said. I think it went alright." He looked down at the robe with a bit of a frown, "The robe is Jeremiah's. It's traditional even if a little small for me, and I did not want to shrug off tradition in the same speech where I introduced by ghostly steed as well as my plans for the church. Change is good, and important if we're going to continue to succeed as a town, but too much change all at once can be a shock that causes them to revolt." It was clear Bernard had a better understanding of the politics of religion than he let on. While it was not his favorite topic, his natural charisma gave him a slight aptitude for it. He guides Arissa over to the priest's study, opening the door for her. "I need to get this robe off, we can talk inside."

Arissa smiles and nods to Bernard. “I agree. There are many changes that need to be made around here... like those robes of yours. At some point before your next sermon, please do allow me to take a look at them.”

Arissa followed after Bernard and entered his office before twirling back to face him and clapping her hands together and beaming to him. “Oh, I had made breakfast today! Perian and Yelcan said that it was quite good... although I never had the opportunity to try it for myself. Van Richten arrived to speak with Perian just before your service began... He did seem to be in a hurry, however. How was your morning, besides the lovely sermon?”

Bernard shuts the door behind them. He drops his holy symbol down the neck of the robe before pulling the robe off over his head and tossing it to the side while Arissa spoke. When she finished he wrapped his arms around her, leaning in and giving her a kiss before he pulled back smiling, "Sorry I couldn't stay to make breakfast. It was difficult to leave, but I had to tend to Isaiah and Maria before the crowd arrived. I had wondered why I did not see Peri here, she is usually so good about attending church, I was really hoping she would hear my first sermon." Bernard seemed a bit disappointed as he looked to the safe then bent down to unlock it. "I almost mentioned you today, but I didn't think you'd want the attention..." He retrieves his pack and unloads the gold back into the safe as he continued, "not like that. I know you have a complicated history with churches. You really do mean so much more to me than I could accurately express anyway." He locked the safe placing his bag over his back and turning back to her with a smile. "How did you sleep?"

Arissa returned the kiss, warmed by Bernard’s presence more than ever. She smiled as she looked back into Bernard’s eyes. “It was my pleasure to try my hand at the culinary arts. Perhaps tomorrow we can compare notes, ja?” Her expression dropped slightly at the mention of those who died the previous day. “I... I am still not sure what to believe about Isaiah... I am so sorry, Bernard. I wish I could have helped restrain him... but I suppose there is little point in regrets. I pray that apprehending those Falkovnian’s with Jonathan will help bring justice to his mother at least.”

When Bernard looked disappointed at Peri’s lack of attendance, Arissa put a hand on his shoulder. “Perian had a hard day yesterday. She deserved some rest. I am certain she would love to hear your next sermon.” Arissa then blushes a bit before smiling mischievously to Bernard. “I do not believe it would be proper for the head of the church to go about boasting of the lovely woman his goddess had sent him. Although, perhaps it would be a good way to garner more followers.”

Arissa struggles to remember her dream from the night prior, but could only recall bits and pieces like usual. “I am not entirely certain why, but something feels... different about me. I believe I had the same visions as usual... but something had changed. I... I think you may have been present.” Arissa then grins to Bernard. “If that was the case, it must have been a lovely dream.”

Arissa then looked to Bernard curiously. “So, what is next for us on this fine day? I do hope to speak to the sheriff soon about the contents of the letter I had found.”

Peri looked up from her food as Arissa stood once again and headed for the door. She could only imagine who it could be having already forgot about Van Richten. As Arissa brought him into the kitchen rushed to grab her napkin from the table covering Hyde.

Looking up over her shoulder she gave the man a smile and stood passing Hyde to Yelcan. “It is good to see you sir, I am sorry It had been a long night and we’ve had a late morning.” Offering him her seat she moved into the kitchen to set a kettle for tea.

“I’m unfortunately not as prepared as planned. My friends had more questions, I will try to recall them. Kallisto also had a sketch for your opinion but I guess we can talk basics. You said we may be dealing with a Naga?” Pulling our another seat Peri sits wiping the sleep from her eyes and combing through her hair.

"I had intending on making my way over to the constabulary. Need to congratulate Simon on his promotion and speak with that scientist Violette captured last night. First however," Bernard spoke as he dug through his bag to remove the cloth wrapped book found on Isaiah's person. "I thought I might try to destroy this. Though I have no idea what might work." He glanced at the torch lighting the room. "Can't imagine it's as simple as burning it or it may have been destroyed long ago." His mind raced slightly as he tried to think it through, "It's possible it cannot be destroyed and one must bear the burden until they fall to the evil within its bindings. I know for sure I am not willing to 'lose' the book and let it be someonelse's problem."

Bernard stood and grabbed the torch from the wall. Placing the book on the cold stone floor, he held the flame to the cloth until it lit.

The Green:

Aluc jumps down to Kallisto's shoulder again today. She seems to wait intently for the slow human animal speaker to finish her usual ritual before speaking. "I saw big big snake. It spoke to old lady in the hollow tree. I followed it back to it's nest. It gave birth," said Aluc as she walked along Kallisto's back to her other shoulder seemingly intent on finding the shiny she was owed.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Marsh House:

"There is nothing to worry about my dear, my old bones have trouble enough getting around sometimes as it is," he says amused by Peri's explanations. He takes a seat where Peri has indicated before leaning his cane against the table. "Yes, a Naga is what I was thinking it was from your description. Usually a large snake with a face, though sometimes they have the upper body of a man or woman. I can tell you that often times it's better to try and capture one than trying to out right kill it. This presents a problem of course with how dangerous they generally are. The one I fought could cast spells, and when we had thought it defeated it returned a few days later with a newly created body!"

"One of the first distinctions you should try and figure out is whether it is a Guardian or Spirit Naga. Spirit's are usually the more hostile ones, but the guardians can also grow aggressive if their territory is threatened or if something has been stolen from them. There is also the faint possibility that the creature might have become corrupted somehow from it's original purpose. I've found through records, of Naga's that the more it dies the more erratic the creature seems to become," says Van Richten thinking a bit and then pulling open one of his journals to read a few notes while speaking.

Listening to Aluc speak, the hairs on Kallisto's arm raised -- it sounded like the snake had finally been found, along with its nest. At the mention of it giving birth Kallisto shuddered, her thoughts returning to her dream ... the strange people with green scale-like skin. She moved her twin braids out of the way as Aluc hopped back and forth on her shoulder, reaching into her pouch for Aluc's reward as she walked toward the Marsh house.

"I'm glad you may have found the serpent -- did you hear anything that was said to the 'old lady'? And ... what did it give birth to?"

Blackburn Manor:

"You're probably right about that. I'll tone down the humorous side a bit," says James looking to Leone and putting a hand on the one she had placed on his shoulder. He frowns for a moment. "A lot of specific details regarding on what they do to the human body, and possible applications to use them offensively. The thing I showcased at dinner on Marcel? Apparently it wasn't only developed for that but a few other substances, for quick delivery. I'm beginning to think I didn't know my parents at all."

James stood up from his seat still holding Leone's hand. "I'll take a nap a little later in the day to catch up, there's still people to see off, and if your friends will have it. I'd like to help in whatever ventures they currently are up to. Promise." He said the last word reassuringly with a smile creeping onto his serious look.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Aluc took the prize admiring it for a bit before responding. "Birth to smaller two foot like you. Old woman speak words yes but I did not hear. Annoying wings would not leave alone. Think he is helping, but buzz helps no one."

Church of Ezra:

As Bernard's torch comes into contact with the book, screams are heard as it slowly begins to spread along the book. Within moments the fire turns to a darker flame, and black smoke begins to pour forth into the room. After which the book remains on the floor charred, and blackened.

Bernard watched as the book burned. "Well I didn't expect it to be that easy." He watched the charred remains of the book for a moment as if they might jump up and run away before he gently poked at it with his foot. As the book crumbled to ash where he touched it, he nodded then used his foot to break apart the rest of the book. "I don't know if I trust it to be destroyed just yet." He collected a small urn typically used for silver powder for ceremonies, one he had emptied that morning laying Maria and Isaiah to rest, and began to carefully transfer the ashes into the vessel. "We need to figure out what's next for this ash. Maybe we should scatter it on the river, or split it up and keep it in many places?" He had cleaned up all he could and sealed the urn before placing it into his pack, glancing at the small bit of ash on his foot and the ground he could not coax into the urn.

"You just figured out you didn't know your parents? I guess we're in the same boat, then." Léone smiles sadly, continuing to hold James's hand. "I'll take your word for it, I figure you don't want to be known as the man who breaks promises - on top of all the other rumors floating around town. And you really should get the rest, seriously." She chuckles softly and gives a small nod. "I'm sure they'll appreciate the help. In the meantime I'll try to help you out with all this crap, maybe catch up on some reading for one." With her free hand she pulls out the journal he had left on her nightstand this morning and holds it up. "I hadn't had the chance to look at this yet, I came straight here to check up on you. You said it was one of your family's oldest records?"

The casual way Aluc spoke about what the creature birthed made Kallisto stumble as she walked -- her dream might have been more prophetic than she thought -- not just a nightmare, but a vision of what was to come.

She placed a hand on the greataxe, almost reassured by its low growl -- did that mean ... what she saw of Marcus would come true too? Her grip on the axe tightened as she bared her teeth for a moment -- no -- she would not allow it to happen.

Taking a deep breath she turned to look at Aluc as she continued, "Before you fly off, did you see any others like what it birthed? I'm also headed to the Marsh house to see if we can 'awaken' you today. Do you remember our conversation about it?"

Arissa scoffed when Bernard referred to the scientist as the one Violette had captured. “Please, Hyde could have captured that man by the time I was done with him.” Her eyes were then drawn to the book that Bernard removed from his bag. She looks at it quizzically, unsure of what it was, but then decides that if Bernard felt like it was dangerous, he was probably right. She immediately began to brainstorm means to destroy it, confident that the torch would not work. “If it is magical, I doubt that an ordinary flame will be able to do the trick. Perhaps Léone’s magic could be of use. Depending on it’s strength, I believe there is a song that I may be strong enough to perform now... or...” Arissa thinks back to the chamber in the room at the house in which they had spoken with Toben. “Perhaps that field that blocked magic back in the manor at the swamp could...”

Arissa turns back to see Bernard stomping on the ashes of the book, and smiles to him brightly. “Or perhaps it is just as simple as it seems. Goed gedaan, Bernard! I see I had feared for naught. I believe it would be wise to disperse the ashes as well. Perhaps we could give some to those of our guests whom we trust? Frankly, I believe the further from the Crossing, the better it will be. We should likely keep some of the remains here as well, somewhere we could keep an eye on it.”

Blackburn Manor:

"I just had this feeling that I knew who they were, that my father while harsh was a brilliant man who knew not to touch some area's of research. If that's the legacy I'm given I'll just have to change it," says James firmly. When Leone brings the attention to the book he nods looking at it. "Seems to be a journal from about two hundred years ago. Seems like forever ago, but maybe it has something relevant."

A knock sounds at the door, and James looks at Leone. "Guess the day beckons, come in," says James loud enough so the person could hear, and Violette enters the room. Upon seeing Leone and James she smiles.

"Oh! Did I interrupt the two love birds? Figured you'd want to know a guard stopped by saying they were going to question the Darkonese Scientist about his Falkovnian counter parts, figured you'd want to know..." says Violette as she seems to grin suggestively looking between the two. "I'll just pretend I couldn't find you for awhile longer." She winks and slowly goes out the door before James can speak otherwise.

"Hmm.... going to have to get used to that," says James with a slight blush.
"I guess we'll bridge the subject at a later time... ahem anyways. Let me know if you find anything interesting in it, and when you aren't busy maybe we could go out to be seen around town for once. I'm sure Jonathan might have a few suggestions. Which reminds me I haven't seen him since that talk last night. I may have to pay him a visit soon."

Bernard nodded, "We'll need containers and we'll pass it out where we can." He smiled at Arissa as he hefted his pack back on his shoulder. "Lets go see if Simon has that letter, shall we?" He offered his arm to Arissa when she took it he led her back out the front of the chapel where Durendal waited. Looking to Arissa, he grinned, "You wanted a ride, no?"

Arissa smiles as Bernard leads her out the church, and catches sight of Durendal. “I must say, he does look rather dashing in full Ezran garb. He almost looks like a brand new horse.” Arissa walks up and rubs his snout before turning back to Bernard in confusion. “This may sound odd considering I had asked for Durendal last night... but I have never actually ridden a horse before. How does one...” She glances down at her formfitting dress, and then back to Bernard questioningly.

Bernard let out a deep chuckle. "Well, you'll need some help." He reached out with both arms grasping her around the waist hoisting her up onto the saddle. Once he was sure that she was not going to fall, he moved a hand to guide her leg helping her wrap it around the horn of the saddle with her knee. "This one hooks here, around the horn. Durendal will help support you as your ride." He guided her other leg down to the stirrup, making sure her foot was properly in it. He smiled at her, taking her hands and after a quick kiss, placing them on the horn of the saddle as well. "He's a great horse, he doesn't need you to guide him or anything. Just focus on keeping your balance and watch the world fly by." Bernard nodded, "That should do it." He pulled himself carefully up onto Durendal as well, wrapping his arms around Arissa's waist and leaning in close. "Don't worry, I've got you. Are you ready?"

"Some legacy they left, huh? Ah well." Léone sighs, simply nodding at the mention of his father. "... He really doesn't know a thing, does he?" She shrugs, then glances back to the book. "Sounds intriguing, I'll go through it and let you know if I find anything interesting."

At the arrival of Violette, she blushes and withdraws her hand by instinct. "O-oh, hey..." Before she can even stammer out half a sentence, she's already out the door. She turns back to James with a slight chuckle. "It's... something to get used to, I suppose. And sure... at a later time."

She takes the old journal in both hands, glancing one last time at the letter he had left in the morning before dropping it in her bag. "Well, no time for standing around I suppose." She flashes an amused smile. "I'd love to go out if there's time, wouldn't mind tagging along on whatever business you have for the day. Or maybe for something else." She winks. "Otherwise I'll be here if you need me."

Arissa followed Bernard’s instructions, a bit nervous, but trusting that Bernard knew what he was doing. She gripped the horn of the saddle tightly, but loosened her grip slightly when Bernard put his hands around her. At Bernard’s question, Arissa turned to him with a grin that was far more confident than she actually felt. “Ja, as I will ever be.”

Arissa’s hands tightened slightly as Durendal began to trot at an easy pace at first, and she allowed herself to relax into Bernard’s grip. Slowly, the spectral steed began to pick up speed, until they were moving at a full gallop towards the constabulary. Arissa’s fear gave way to enjoyment at the sensation as she laughed aloud at the feeling of the wind blowing past. Finally, they slowed to a stop in front of the constabulary, and Arissa accepted a hand down from Bernard after he hopped off. She grinned at him. “We should be doing that all of the time. It felt as if we were flying!”

Arissa took a moment to recompose herself, and then took Bernard’s arm with an easy smirk. “So, shall we have words with our foreign friend?” They walked together to the door of the constabulary, and Arissa looked to Bernard before opening the door.

Constabulary:

Arissa and Bernard enter into Simon shaking Thomas' hand before they notice you enter. Thomas clears his throat. "Seems you'll be busy here in a moment," says Thomas with the hint of a smile on his face. "Good luck Simon, you've earned your position and I'll rest soundly knowing that you're the one that has to deal with the knocks on your door at midnight."

"Tom, we'll grab some drinks at the Roaring Rapids later tonight, I've a feeling I'll need some sort of ritual to keep me sane during the transition. As a last thing could you stop by Sereal's home, she won't take my word as of yet and I think you telling her directly might help her understand, I've heard that we'll be getting a few extra people going around with our guards soon,"
says Simon before turning to Arissa and Bernard.
"What are you two dropping by for? Thanks for the backup in the streets, I think it will ultimately be helpful but we can discuss that later."

Bernard reaches out to shake each man's hand in turn. "Thomas, Simon, good to see you." He smiles and continues, "We're here for a lot of things. First, I heard about your promotion. I thought I should congratulate you. Then I was hoping to find out where Thomas might be - I guess that's solved. Thomas, I'd like to speak with you later and in private about something you said last night. Maybe I can come by your place later, now that you've some free time?" He smirked at Thomas and pressed on, "Third, Arissa was hoping there might have been some progress with the letter she retrieved off the Falkovnian. Fourth, I offered some assistance getting to the truth last night and I meant it, I'm here to help with the scientist. And finally, I didn't realize this would be a thing we needed to discuss, we need to discuss the acolytes assisting on patrol."

Bernard looked over Simon with a critical eye before smiling again and deciding where he'd like to start. "I'd very much like to start with the last bit. I'm more than happy to offer the acolytes in assistance to the guard, anything to make the job safer, however - the acolytes are not guards, they are healers and Anchorites of Ezra. I'd prefer that they not be associated with the guard in garb. I don't want to give the town the wrong impression. I'm not trying to militarize the church, I'm trying to keep the few able bodies men and women brave enough to join the guard alive for another day. I know that being a Paladin rather than a Cleric can be an uphill struggle - there's a reason we are so few in number and prefer to wander. Obviously it's important that I make this distinction clear now so it doesn't become a point of contention later. Ezra's acolytes in Blackburns Crossing are healers not soldiers. I will not forbid them from carrying weapons for their safety, but we won't be holding arms at the church. I hope that's an acceptable line to draw."

Bernard watched Simon with a warm smile, he knew that this was the beginning of a partnership or the start of a struggle that would last forever. Bernard didn't want to create tension between the law and the gospel, he wanted them to compliment t each other. The acolytes could use protection as much as the guards could use the healing. It made sense to preserve what little the town had left by banding together rather than struggling apart. Unfortunately, Bernard didn't know Simon well and was unsure the measure of man he was speaking with. He hoped that by being himself - honest and to the point - he might prove himself the leader of the church he wasn't sure he could be.

Arissa followed after Bernard into the constabulary, smiling and curtsying to the two men, but content to let Bernard lead the conversation. She took a few moments to appraise Simon, not certain that she liked what she saw. I cannot say I have been particularly impressed by this man during my time here, seeing as when we had first met he had only just been taken over by some odd mind controlling plant. I suppose he was competent enough in the battle with Yorgi and his crew, but beyond that... I am afraid that I would have preferred Thomas to remain in his position. Perhaps Simon will be easier to deal with at least.

When Bernard mentioned the letter and the Darkonese scientist, Arissa looked over to Thomas. “Ja, I had been hoping to have some news in regards to the murder of Maria Einhorn. I am afraid that the letter and the man sitting in that cell may be our only leads remaining on the identity of her killer. I likewise wish to assist in the scientist’s interrogation, for Jonathan’s sake.” He has asked nothing of me but to see his mother avenged... I pray that I can see it done.

Constabulary:

"Very well but if they are working with the guard they are going to get paid. Not quiet sure how it works at the church but they will have a salary. Almost the guards are volunteers, but they are still paid. Thomas has graciously promised to fund this salary from the Von Brekker money, though I suspect if James manages to pull some more businesses in we could start to gather money in other ways. The Boritsi Trading company has already expressed an interest in increased security. While the Ball was going on someone hit their warehouse, and stole a few items headed for Lamordia. Anyways back to the subject at hand. I think working in pairs would be good, and we can store some weapons here for you're acolytes. Most of them aren't trained in the sword but they might know how to use a club I'd imagine. Doesn't quiet stop fights like a sword but does the job of apprehending people just fine. Hopefully it won't ever come to that, and my side comes through with their job," says Simon with a hand to his chin thinking it over. Thomas seems quiet simply observing until he sees a point to interject on one of the other topics.

"I've already translated the letter, they where after something called 'Helle Welle' that was commissioned by the Wizard King. They wanted to steal it before it fell into his hands, though they don't quiet say why. It mostly just details about the device and where to find it in the house and the drop point. The Darkonese Scientist is a defector that was supposed to study the device," says Thomas crossing his arms. "This leads me to believe the two are completely unrelated but I'll leave that up to the new blood's to determine that for themselves."

"I guess that time you spent learning that vomit of a language wasn't a complete waste of time like I told you," says Simon smiling over in Thomas' direction. Thomas shrugged at the jab, deflating the attempt at humor.

"It's proved useful on a number of occasions," says Thomas simply before he looks over to Bernard. "We'll talk then I guess. I should really get going, the longer I stay the longer it looks like Simon isn't in charge and he's just a figure head. I don't want that." Thomas looks between everyone seeing if anyone has anything more to say to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back