Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 3: A Ball to Die for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bernard's smile was warm, but he looked tired. "It's been a long day, lets go take a seat." He led her over to a seat at a small table then pulled a seat of his own so when he sat their knees almost touched. He placed a hand on her leg, and let out a sigh. "So, Esmerelda took you to a dark room with other Vistani and then just left? Do you think they would have hurt you? Who are these Vistani that questioned you before? Questioned you about the Raunie? Could this be connected to that? Could it have something to do with that deck of cards you shared this morning? The Raunie is important to them, wasn't she Esmerelda's mother? What if they were going to ask for it back?" He grimaced at the thought, then a tear rolled down his face at a second.

"When my father died..." He struggled to get through the thought but knew he had to finish for Arissa. "When Ferrin died, he gifted Perian his title, and I gave her his staff, I thought he wanted her to have it. I loved my father... so much.... I was so... hurt. I just wanted something to remember him by. I'm ashamed to admit it but I was... jealous." Bernard continued to cry, he couldn't help it. "Just a small piece of something to remind me of him, that's all I wanted. What if Esmerelda wants the same, just something so special to her mother that she felt jealous and betrayed when you were given the box? What if she felt like she wasn't good enough, because the Raunie didn't pass the legacy down to her?"

Bernard sat up slightly in his chair and wrapped his arms around himself.

As Kallisto and the others talk amongst themselves, Yelcan and Marcus stood quietly off to the side for a moment or two just listening in. Eventually Yelcan turns back to Marcus, “Oh so sorry I got caught up in their conversation, I totally forgot to reply to you. I am...I would say acquaintances with Kallisto, we have been on the same side in battle before, she’s actually already saved my ass big time, but we haven’t really had a chance to just chat between us. What about you, how do you know Kallisto? And what do you do around town?”

Kallisto nodded as Brian spoke about the hounds, "Oh yes -- some of them can be really smart, and if you have enough of them together they can be quite impressive. Still usually distracted by an enticing stick though." She smiled for a moment with her teeth visible before she remembered herself and closed her mouth.

Tilting her head slightly as her mind realized what had been mentioned, "Noble status ... just from solving things? I ... I doubt that will happen to me, but who are the 'Lamplighters'? Awhile ago ... we actually were attacked by some pirates, and I heard some rumours that 'Lamplighters' helped defend the town, but ... I never really got a chance to ask what that even meant before we kind of got tangled up in the next thing to come through."

Ballroom:

Marcus laughs heartily, "I'm the one who raised her, and I'm not surprised you don't know your who your foreman of the docks. Don't worry most people don't recognize me in my suit," says Marcus.
"I'm glad that she saved you, I'm going to guess it was during the Pirate attack a few days ago. Heard she did some work against those that attacked this very house. Sounds like it was a rough fight all things considered."

Peri blinks in amazement as he pops the thistle into his mouth. Bringing her hands up she burst out laughing shaking her head. “Shih sir you weren’t supposed to eat it. Oh my goodness, luckily the buds aren’t poisonous. I am so sorry.” Devolving into giggles her nose crinkled. “I was meant to be a gift, but that is okay, would you care for a glass of water?”

Holding her belly with one hand she wiped a tear away with the other while she looked to the others deep in conversation. Looking back up to Shih she smiles. “It is very good to have friends even if only a few.” The flashing of the fireworks caught her eye as she looked to the ceiling in wonder.

Thinking of making a little harmless mischief she begins pointing g at the chandeliers whispering under her breath causing flower petals to fall. They flit and float like confetti over the guests dispersing as they hit the floor.

Last edited:
Oh so you’re kallisto’s father? Oh, I’m not actually from around here, I’ve only been in the crossing for a couple weeks, but yeah I agree I probably should have known the docks foreman.” Yelcan frowns as he remembers the incident at the manor where he was almost cut down but was saved by Kallisto. “Yes indeed it was a very brutal fight all in all, but luckily with your daughters help we were able to emerge victorious. I don’t know what it was that you were feeding this girl, but she turned out to be one hell of a fearsome warrior.” Yelcan laughs wholeheartedly for a moment, then quiets down and pulls Marcus a little further aside, dropping his voice a little lower. “So tell me, what was Kallisto like as a little kid? Any funny stories I can embarrass her with later?”

Arissa follows Bernard to the table, trying to focus on his flurry of questions but completely unable to latch on to a single thought. However, as Bernard began to break down talking about his father’s death and seeming favoritism towards Peri, Arissa began to listen intently, unsure of what to say. She heard a cruel laugh bellowing in her head. You sacrificed power and redemption for this sniveling wretch? Fucking pathetic. Arissa paused, considering his words before responding coldly. Yorgi, for once in your sad state of unlife I believe I must thank you. A deck of cards is a small sacrifice to pay for lightening this burden, even if only a little.

Arissa forced the connection between her and her blade shut, and turned back to Bernard, putting an arm on his shoulder. “Bernard, I cannot imagine a man who would not be proud to call you his son. I am certain that he did not intend to cause you such grief and uncertainty... but if what you say is true, I fear you may be correct about Esmerelda. The Raunie gave me these cards so that I could correct my fate... but I believe that I am already on the correct path when I am with you.”

Arissa stands and embraces Bernard briefly, before turning to him with a determined expression. “I am sorry, but I must hurry if I am to right this wrong. The Vistani left a few minutes ago... would it be possible for me to borrow Durendal? I will return as quickly as I can. I would ask you to accompany me, but there are far more important things that may happen on this night, and I am afraid that your skills may be required here. Do not concern yourself with me, I can take care of myself. Besides, if you are correct about the Vistani, I fear no danger from them.”

Bernard looked up to her, pain and tears still in his eyes. "You don't have to be alone, I could... You can take Durendal. He'll be ready for you, mind his head." He forced a smile and stood. A quick embrace, he felt so vulnerable at that moment, wished he could help, wished she would stay, but he knew Arissa's mind was set and there was no changing it.

"Durendal, Arissa, the girl you met in the graveyard, she's coming to you. She needs a ride to the Vistani. Please be careful, take care of her, and let me know what's going on. Will you do this for me?" Bernard's mind reaches out, his thoughts touching his steed in an instant, accompanied by feelings of love and sorrow, images of Ferrin, Peri, and Arissa.

Bernard turned to see James off in the crowd and Leone nearby. As Arissa left, Bernard moved to her, "Thank you, for being near. Let's make sure that this is the worst that happens tonight. I... Must ask for your help. We should find Jonathan." Bernard continues to give a weak smile, wishing his mask covered more. If she can help me with this it is one less thing to deal with later tonight.

Arissa smiles to Bernard reassuringly. “I am not alone. I have you with me, ja?” She turns to Léone with a smile. “Please, distract him for me until my return, ja? I would hate for him to die of worry.” Arissa removed the rings from her finger, taking her signet out from the one Bernard gave to her. She stroked it lightly and it began to pulse with crimson light as she handed it to him. “As long as the light glows, know that I am well. If it stops... I may be in need of a hand.” Arissa puts Bernard’s oddly shaped ring back on her finger and gives Bernard a quick kiss before quickly turning before she could second-guess herself.

She makes her way to the entryway of the manor, frowning at the downpour before her but resigning herself to the task. She turns to one of the guards. “Excuse me, sir? Could you tell me where the Vistani entertainers went off to? I was hoping to speak to one of them about their fabulous performance... it simply cannot wait.”

As Arissa and Bernard move over to a small table, Léone's eyes drift downwards as she considers what Arissa had just said. "The... Vistani men from the questioning? But they told us to never come back... " Immediately her mind flashes with the horrifying death of the Raunie, followed by a strange warping sensation, followed still by the dreamlike sequence of "her" standing up and addressing those two men... next to Arissa, frozen in fear and shock for quite a bit more time. She shakes her head, trying to brush it off but still feeling a shiver down her spine from the experience. "Why would they come for her now, did we do something else...?"

She snaps back to reality as Bernard begins to spew out his train of thoughts. Not having much to say at this sudden slew of emotions, she stands silently at a respectful distance as Arissa and Bernard discuss. She sighs internally as Arissa resolves to go after the Vistani, knowing that she wouldn't let her come along after the last incident. "She'll be safe... right? She just has to give them back, that's it."

Glancing at her as she passes with a silent nod of acknowledgement, she turns to Bernard with a half-smile. "Of course I'd be here. It's the least I could do for friends... both of you." She nods, then raises an eyebrow in questioning. "Er, Jonathan? Is something up? I saw him around, you can't miss the horn."

Outside Manor:

The bank of fog has run up against the party over and past the party leaving the world suspended in a surreal state. The night seems to float endlessly with no signs to mark the passing of time. The moon and stars are all but obscured as Arissa reaches a guard who jumps at first startled by Arissa. "Oh, it's just one of.... Yes Ma'am I did see them leave recently off into the fog. They disappeared like phantom's into it without a word. I thought I've seen.... nevermind. Enjoy your night Ma'am."

Bernard smiled, "You are a good friend, I'm glad we've met. I'm afraid what comes next might be the most I've ever asked of a friend..."

Bernard sighed as his smile gave way to a frown and he leaned in close to Leone, whispering "Jonathan is here to acquire something from James' vault. I don't know what he's after and I didn't get all the details, but if we can find him and speak with him, maybe we can prevent some tragedy." Bernard shuffles uncomfortably, "I know he's here because of Arissa's deal. If we don't do something, she will. I had hoped to speak with James but it is a busy night for him." He studies her for a moment, and waiting for a reaction.

Léone raises an eyebrow at Bernard, considering it for a few seconds then slowly nods and whispers in reply. "... Alright. As long as this is finishing up the last deal and not making a new one. Hopefully we can figure this out. " She glances over, noticing Jonathan sitting next to Heather, and turns back to Bernard with a shrug. "I honestly don't know him that well at all... do you want to go get him? I'll see if I can get a word in with James in the meantime, it might seem strange if we both just walk up to Jon and his date."

Bernard nods humbly, "Thanks. I'm sorry for getting you in the middle of this." He leaves to approach Jonathan.

As he reaches Jonathan and Heather, Bernard smiles. "Good evening Jonathan. And you must be Lady Heather Blackstone, it's a pleasure to meet you. I'm Father Bernard, I run the local church of Ezra. If you wouldn't mind, I could use a moment to speak with Jonathan privately."

Arissa looks out into the mist, thoroughly frustrated by this change of circumstances. I cannot be certain... but nothing is worth leaving the life I lead her behind. She feels a nudge on her arm, and turns, seeing nothing there but knowing it to be Durendal. She pet him on the head, and turned back to the guard. “I am very sorry for frightening you, sir. I did not know that the night grew so terrifying out here. I suppose my question can wait for when they next come to town.” Though I doubt that may ever come to pass.

Arissa turned slightly to Durendal, and rubbed his head, hoping he would listen to her as well. “Thank you for your help, and for your assistance. I will be returning to the ball, please feel free to come find me if they happen to return. Until then, keep up the good work out here.”

Arissa curtsies, turns and leaves to head back into the main room. She glances over to Bernard and Léone who seemed to be speaking intently about something, and decided to give them some space. There is no need to immediately report my failure. She turns to head up the stairs towards the balcony and nearly walks into a man wearing an odd shaped bird mask... a familiar design. Is that Garmonian? She decided to chance the question. Herr Doktor? Is that you behind that ridiculous beak?”

Having talked to the mysterious black haired woman for quite a while now, he thanks her for her trust and takes his leave. "I see. What a perculiar device. I'll take care of it for now, let's meet face to face tomorrow. I'll be at the apothecary, you'll be able to find it as it is... under construction." With another slight bow, he starts walking off towards the main stairs. "Until we meet again, madam."

Making his way down the stairs, his mind is processing what just took place, almost causing him to walk into a woman wearing a butterfly shaped mask. He thinks nothing of it until she speaks to him in an accent he's definitely heard before. "I wouldn't say ridiculous, but it's certainly a beak." He says, turning around to face Arissa.

"Having a good time, Lady Di Encanta? I know I am." He lets out a chuckle as he straightens the folds in the nape of his mask. "Quite the interesting individuals around here. I've caught wind of an fortune teller that's present at the party, though I am a man of facts, I can't help but to amuse myself by determining one's future."

Arissa frowns behind her mask at the mention of the fortune teller, but keeps her tone upbeat. “I am afraid you have just missed the Vistani, they took their leave but a moment ago. I was hoping to catch up with a friend as they were the one who welcomed me to this land... but it seems that my friend was not amongst them tonight. If you wish, I could try my hand at it at some point. I have had my fortune told before, though I must warn you it is unlikely to be a pleasant experience. I do owe you for your previous aid though, ja?”

Arissa then pauses for a moment before looking up at the man. “Where is it that you have been for the past few days? I have not seen hind noch haar of you since the excursion into the wilderness. What is it that occupied your time?”

Ballroom:

"It is nice to meet you as well Father Bernard, I'm glad that you were able to step in after the previous Father. I hope his name does not weigh too much on you, Jonathan here was telling me you were a distant cousin of the previous?" says Heather sounding curious about the matter but nodding at the fact that you wanted to speak to Jonathan. "I think I'll go get something to eat. You can come find me later when your done Jonathan."

Jonathan gives her a quick smile. "I shouldn't be too long, maybe some of this spilt wine will finally dry," says Jonathan chuckling before watching Heather leave. After she left the vicinity he turned back to Bernard.
"What's going on? Something the matter?"

Léone nods at Bernard. "It's not a problem, really. I want to make sure you're all alright. If I can help, I"ll help."

Waving him off as he goes to approach Jonathan, she takes a deep breath then looks around for James. Spotting him at the table just about to finish up his food, she briskly walks over and gives him a curt wave and a smile. "Been busy, eh? I definitely wouldn't have the energy to keep up with all that dancing."

Ballroom:

James cleans his mouth setting it down starting to stand up before he hears a familiar voice. He laughs at Leone's statement. "I feel like I'm ancient, maybe I should have done this a while ago, when Il Aluk University still required me to do physical exercise," he says laughing and walking up to Leone. "I feel like I might have one more dance in me before the demonstration. I think I'll need an assistant too, are you up for that? You are a spellcaster after all."

Bernard waved Heather off, "I'm afraid Jeremiah will never be replaced, but I do my best to make good the Hathoway name."

When she had left Bernard took a seat. "Arissa spoke with me of your task. We may be able to help but we need to know what you are to collect." Bernard leaned on the table, the weight of these decisions and the cost they might incur were a lot to bear. That compounded with his concern for Arissa who Durendal had reported was not seeking the Vistani was more than enough for him today. But he remained resolved, I owe Jonathan a debt for his sacrifice after what I have taken from him. Unintentional or not, matters of heart are not something to be taken lightly and his price is grave. Now we will resolve this debt to Legba and one day the sun will rise on a crossing free of that fiend. He flashed a tired smile at Jonathan, not upset with the man, but ready to help.

Ballroom:

"Wish I knew more, you probably know just as much as me. I was going to let James know but something stopped me, so I don't think you know who wants James to know. I figured it might be easier if I just asked but who knows the will of dark spirits beyond our comprehension," says Jonathan as he uses air quotes on the last part of his sentence. "I also still don't know where it is, what I'm stealing, but I can almost feel his presence here. I think he's waiting to let me know the information."

Jonathan looks around the Ballroom.
"I've also been seeing some weird people at this ball... but I don't think they are living."

When Ludwig learns of the Vistani leaving the party, he gives her a nonchalant shrug. "Ah, is that so? Well then, no point in sobbing about lost opportunities. I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't meet with your friend, the Vistani seem very unique and interesting. There's always later though, I don't think it's the last we've seen of them."

Hearing Arissa talk about the fact that she can read fortune as well, he perks up and claps in his hands. "Well isn't that just the biggest coincidence! Here I thought I'd miss out on one of the most unusual attractions of the party, only to have a fortune teller right in front of my eyes!"

He chuckles and lowers his voice a tad. "I'm sure it'll be fun, Lady Di Encanta. Do not think too much about it, a party exists for fun to be had!" Noting Arissa's curiosity towards his absence, he clears his throat. "Ah yes. I've been busy with rebuilding the apothecary since I came back from our little expedition. If everything goes alright, we might even open up tomorrow! Maybe the cards will tell me more..?"

Ballroom:

Shih shrugged before chuckling. “I guess it’s better that it’s not poisonous, though I’m sure there is someone nearby that might be able to save me were that the case,” says Shih the cat giving another grin.

Marcus chuckled a bit at Yelcan. “I’ve only fed her whatever child eats, though she did have quiet the appetite when she was younger, I thought I was going to be living on the streets with how much she ate,” says Marcus fondly remembering. He grows deathly serious when Yelcan asks for any funny stories. “You’re not looking to make fun of my little girl are you?”

Shih watches the petals fall to the ground trying to swat at one before looking at Peri, and then shrugs. “Reflex.” Brian turns to Kallisto and looks surprised at Kallisto's questions. "The Lamplighters are some of the best detectives Mordent has to offer, they go around solving mysteries and fighting monsters that go bump in the night. They even are sent out to other countries sometimes I hear."

Tara Kolyana walks up in her green Ezran robes, and greets the group. “Hello, friends and potential new ones. I am Tara Kolyana of the Church of Ezra. It is nice to meet you all,” she says giving a slight nod of her head to everyone. She wore no mask upon her face and instead wore a slight smile. “I see you’re not into the hidden faces either Kallisto. Are you still doing well?”

Last edited:
Léone chuckles at James, nodding as he approached. "You're faring better than me at least. I could barely get a single dance out." She shrugs, trying not to let her grin grow too wide. "I was already your assistant the other night, of course I'd be down for a second round. As for the dance... well, I promise I won't make it too hard on you." She winks teasingly, then gestures for him to follow her to the dance floor. On the way, she glances briefly in the direction of Jonathan and Bernard before turning back to James. "By the way... I heard it through the grapevine that something was up with Jonathan. Has he spoken to you, by chance?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back