Status
Not open for further replies.

Zilfer

Mistwalker
Mordent
Blackburn's Crossing
755 BC (Barovian Calender): Beginning of Autumn

Dawn of the 12th Day:

Things finally seem to be going back to normal around Blackburn's Crossing. Most of the buildings have been repaired from the damage, and the forge isn't banging non-stop. The death of Jeremiah the head Priest of Ezra has passed and while some people still mourn his passing things begin to go back to normal. For now Emilia is staying with her extended family at the Marsh Residence and will be letting a few acolytes test themselves giving the daily word. Meanwhile Thomas is back to recruiting those he can into being guards for the town, and trying to do paperwork at the Constabulary as Simon is on leave having heard about the return of the group they sent out.

James in the morning delivers letters speaking of holding a ball for important figures in three days from now. Making plain he will be searching for a suitable wife soon. Invitations have gone out to some residents as well some outside nobles. Perian receives a letter from a noble far up to the north, and the Church of Ezra inquires as to whether Bernard will be stepping into Jeremiah's place now that he has returned or if they should make a request to the Chapel of Pure Hearts in Mordentshire.

Last edited:
Arissa rises early, her dreams haunted by visions of Zindan’s fate, mixed with nightmares of her friends meeting their own ends. Her grip on the sword at her side that she had slept with tightens. Enough of this. I will not sit back idly and watch as every single one of my friends is taken away from me. Arissa quietly gets out of bed and crosses the room to her bag, removing a pad of paper and quill. She quickly wrote down a note to Bernard in celestial.
Dear Bernard,
I was unable to rest for long, and will be down by the river if you need me. Zindan seemed to like it there. Do not spend your concern on me, I will return soon.
~Arissa

She places the note on the night table beside the bed, before stepping over the large form of the snoring man on the ground. She paused for a moment, conflicted, before a look of determination crosses her face. I have been a liability for long enough. No more. Without taking the time to change out of her night gown, Arissa sets off from the inn, sword in hand as she entered the dark swamp.

Swampland:

It isn't long before Arissa treads the now familiar ground, crossing the threshold and wandering aimlessly. Legba never seems to show up in the same place twice, when Arissa finds Legba he is watching a girl look around as if investigating something. She pokes forward in the air with her spear as if expecting to meet some invisible contact which passes inches from Legba. Approaching she doesn't seem to notice Arissa either as she steps around looking, constantly scanning the swamp.

"This one is a curious one, much like you. What is it that you want this time Arissa?"

Hearing some noise from the other side of the stall door, Kallisto groggily opened her eyes, laying as she was against Sirot's flank -- the name she had given the mare that had arrived with the new stranger. She somewhat heard the smaller form yelling at her as she slowly stood, pulling bits of hay and straw out of her hair and off her clothing. As the halfling stood staring at her, finished with his current string of curses and insults she bowed her head slightly, "I'm sorry I took the stall ... we found this horse in the swamp on our way back, I thought this would be the best place for it." Rubbing her eyes she yawned slightly, attempting to keep her mouth from opening too widely. "I did not mean to spend the night as well, but the church ... was too busy with other things, I just wanted to be out of the way."

She edged around Crooks, "If the horse needs to be taken elsewhere ... let me know. Her owner might come around later, I did not steal her, before you assume." Still picking things out of her hair she slowly worked her way towards the church, clanging occasionally from still carrying all her items with her from the journey to Tumbledown. The acolytes at the church seemed too busy with their own tasks to speak to her as she silently gathered her things, sadly noting that Tara had left while they were gone. In her mind she recalled the address she had been given, starting to picture the gift she would try to carve for Tara in thanks for her help.

Gathering her things in her bag she moved back towards where she used to keep her items, James stopping her for a moment, handing her a letter. Kallisto held it in her hands for a moment as she read it over, giving James a confused look. "I ... do not know how ... fitting it would be for me to be around nobles, and dresses -- fragile things. But if you need someone to keep an eye on things, I can help with that." Placing the letter in her bag she gave James a small nod as they went their own ways.

Finally storing her things back where they had been before, she kept the new blade -- Sulrac -- on her hip, the aura of cold still felt pleasant after the fires from the hounds. In her pocket rested the small crocodile tooth necklace, feeling heavy on her hip from what it represented. She slowly pushed the door to the constabulary open, attempting to catch sight of Simon.

Constabulary:

Thomas looked up to see Kallisto walk in and grinned.

"Here to accept that offer from a few days ago? I'm taking a shot in the dark here but I'm guessing Toben got to them all before you could get there. Damn but I knew it was too late to save anyone, Donall shouldn't have gone on his own," says Thomas standing up and moving over to greet Kallisto properly. He had been sitting in Simon's desk. His expression grew a bit more grim.
"How is every one else holding up?"

Kallisto picked at her beads before speaking, "I... I think it's been a difficult past few days for everyone. It's hard for me to ... truly understand what they're going through, but silence can say a lot." She shrugged, "Time will tell, and things will be as they'll be, but I think ... everyone just needs some time to deal with everything?"

She pulled the necklace out from her pouch, "Before we got very far, we actually ... met Toben. A Toben at least, in a mansion. He offered us a deal ... the others were hard set against it, but ... I still wonder if it might have been worth it," she clenched her fist over the teeth, "but decisions were made, and things will be as they'll be." She gave a low growl of a sigh. "Bernard has a letter for you to read, it was Toben's final gift to us. If he does not give it to you, I remember mostly what was said. Tumbledown ... is ash. The few who were left ... are as well." Kallisto opened her hand again, "I hope to give this to Simon so he might have some ... I don't know. I told him I would try to find something of his nephew and I did. For better or worse."

She raised her head, meeting Thomas' gaze, "If you need me for the guards, I would like to help. From the sounds of things, we can't rely on ... other things to protect us as much as we used to."

Arissa glances briefly at the girl, noting her tribal appearance, before turning to Legba with a grim expression. “My friend is dead, and there is nothing I can do for him. Day after day, I watch my companions bleed, able to do nothing but utter words of encouragement. I am a harlekijn, unable to aid them in combat despite how hard I may try. But it does not have to be that way... ja?”

Arissa holds out the blade in her hands towards Legba for his inspection. “This sword bears within it a spiteful but powerful spirit. One that I believe to be of the man that my companions and I fought several days back during the brigand invasion on Blackburn’s Crossing. He was a powerful warrior that nearly brought us to our knees. And... I want you to grant me his service.” Arissa could feel the anger and hatred coming off of the blade in her hands, but focused her attention on the constantly amused face of Legba before her. “It is poetic, that a man who has inflicted such harm on the town would be fated to use his strength to protect it, ja?”

Swampland:

"Oh is that all? I thought you might ask for something a bit more... challenging."

Papa Legba walked up to Arissa and reached out his hand with two fingers extended almost at her forehead, then pauses.

"You ever think it might be the opposite way? That instead of protecting the town you are instead inflicting harm?"

He seems momentarily curious about her response.

Constabulary:

"Thanks for your assistance," says Thomas crossing his arms and leaning against the desk as he usually does. "I'd send the letter to Alanik Ray, hopefully it provides a bit of insight into the mind of the man, that is if Bernard chooses to share it. We'll just have to see. Anyways I'd appreciate it, guards in Mordent are always volunteers but I like to pay the men and women of the watch a bit from my families fortune so they don't do everything pro bono. Let me know whenever you can spare your time."

He hands her a small badge with a badger on the front. "Use it responsibly, and if your looking for Simon his house is near the west docks, on the other side of the river. Look for the sea green house."

Arissa pauses, considering Legba's question. It does seem as if no matter what we do, things tend to go wrong. She frowns a bit, until finally coming to a conclusion. "I suppose that may be true, but what else can be done? The only people with knowledge in this town are dead or koppige dwazen who seem intent on withholding their knowledge. The only thing I can do is protect the ones that I care for, and I shall do my best to help guide them, as much as I can. Besides, to turn back now is to spit in the faces of the sacrifices that have already been made. I shall not allow Zindan to be spoken as a man who died in vain." Arissa thought back to James Blackburn and his foolish decision to venture off without them. I pray that whatever you found was worth the price that was paid in blood, Blackburn.

Léone woke up early, thinking carefully about the day before as she glanced about her room in the manor. With a nod and a sigh, she reached for her spellbook and began to write, refining some notes in one of the later sections. "I ought to practice more... we were almost out for good that other night. I had those notes somewhere...oh! Maybe test that spell, and that one...?" She spent a bit of time studying and working out the theory for some of the more advanced spells she had learned back at the university, trying to commit them to memory best she could. Every now and then Attimer would poke at the sigils she tried to trace, otherwise patiently waiting and watching as his master went to work.

Once she was confident she had a good grasp of the fundamentals she got ready for the rest of her day, dressing up plainly and packing all of her regular gear together. Feeding Attimer the last of the crumbs from her rations, she made her way downstairs to eat some breakfast herself. Eventually, she picked at the remains from her plate and set off to find James, eventually turning to the library. Wandering inside, she flagged James down. "Morning, James. I know you said something about family research, so I figured I'd find you here. The day treating you well? She took a look around, glancing at the few others in the library. "I could use some time just reading, after such a long time out in the swamp." She considers asking about the crypt, but decides against it for the time being.

Holding the small badge delicately in her hand she placed it in her pouch, along with the necklace. Nodding, "It's more... let me know when you need me than anything else. Compared to most, I have very little to keep me busy -- I either am at the docks, working on small crafts or, er ... feeding some of the strays around town." She glanced away at the last part, not entirely sure if she was something she was allowed to do, considering how often Ocer was in trouble.

"I'll have to let Marcus know at some point I can't be at the docks as often as well ... but for now I will speak with Simon." Moving towards the door she paused, "... when we arrived at Tumbledown, I spoke with Toben for a little while. He is ... a strange person, if -- if he can still be considered one." Kallisto turned to look back at Thomas, "He claimed to be bored of this area for now ... but I doubt his boredom will last long..."

She bit her lip slightly as she thought before speaking again: "There have been too many secrets, and I feel you should be kept informed," she gave a sly smile, "especially if you are my new 'boss'. The mansion we met Toben at -- the deal he offered. He asked us to retrieve a key inside the house, one he said would open a door that locked away some of him elsewhere." Picking at her beads, "Bernard turned him down ... you can probably guess the way he did so, but we did find a key in that house. The room it was in had all these strange markings and lines -- I made no sense of it, but Leon seemed to understand them. As far as I know the key is still there." She glanced up towards Thomas again, "Perhaps the Alanik Ray will be interested in that?" Bowing her head slightly she left the Constabulary, headed out towards Simon's home.

Swampland:

"Vanity. Amusing. Perhaps you'll find your answers one day when you pick the right person to ask. For now watch over this one for me, I doubt she'll stay in town for long."

Without another word his fingers pressed against her temple and a burning surge of power went into and over her body. Shadows swirling around Arissa as her wings burst out the backside of her back once more. The black flames seeming to rise in intensity, and Arissa's eyes turn black. Her sword swirls with shadows until at last it seems to have almost a subtle shadow hanging over the blade itself. When Arissa is finally once again aware of her surroundings she sees the girl suddenly aware of her presence.

The spear is out pointing at her but upon opening her eyes the girl seemed to shrink back a step, and then quickly bowed down low into the mud spear firmly placed against the ground with both hands on it, almost as if in a worshiping pose.

"You're touched by the Shadowman. I meant no offense, I am merely seeking the land of the Others. Our Shaman has read the bones, and I must find the one our people lost. The Lost One will save us from the Great Serpent," she says.

Blackburn Manor: Library

As you enter into the Library you see James silently reading a book, with his hair combed back and his suit much neater than he normally wears it. He perks up as he sees you enter the room.

"Ah Leone, glad it seems rest has reinvigorated you, I actually don't need your help researching my family as it turns out, I've found records that indicate the vault valuables that were transported out there were in case the mansion and valuables here were to ever be lost. Pity it's buried underneath so much rubble now, but there is other things to discuss," says James setting a book down upon the table. "I'm under a time limit to marry and still keep the fortune so I'll be throwing a ball in three days. I'm inviting you and all of our companions to it if you'd like to come. Perhaps it's forward of me but with the intelligence behind your eyes, and what I witnessed during the attack might you have a bit of noble blood yourself?"

"Feel free not to answer that question if it suits you, but it is an avenue I feel I must take before writing it off," says James calmly.

Constabulary:

"I think he would greatly interested in hearing about anything that madman might have wanted, thanks for sharing the information. I'll be here for the next while if you need me. Tell Marcus we should get together for cards again sometime, I still need to win my money back. I'm sure Bernard will be by eventually looking for me as well," said Thomas as he went back down to Paperwork on his desk. He sighs before trying to figure out more of the filing system Simon was using.

Arissa looks at the girl, surprised that she had become suddenly visible, as well as by the intensity of the transformation, although similar to last time she had dealt with Legba, she felt little pain from it. "Well. Hello there... you. I am sorry, but I am uncertain what you mean by a 'Lost One", or a 'Great Serpent', or even who you are for that matter." Arissa pauses, suddenly recalling the scene of Ferrin's death. This girl looked suspiciously similar to the tribes people who had gathered to send him off to his fate. "This Great Serpent... tell me about it? What, and where is it? What danger does it pose to your people? For that matter, who are your people?"

Perian woke on the twelfth day upon her mothers urgings she should wake and eat something. Her head pounding from her emotional episode and dehydration rolled her as she stumbled down the hall greeting by a smiling Emilia and the noises of her mother in the kitchen scraping together a warm honey porridge breakfast for her.

Morning Momma, Aunt Emilia she groaned over her headache. Giving Emilia a bracing hug Peri sat at the table. Upon it was a basket of late summer flowers which she touched to make bloom once again. Behind it she saw as she bent forward we’re two letters and a decoratively wrapped box. One of the cards was attached to it, “Momma what are these letters on the table.” Peri questioned her mother setting her porridge before her replied. One is an invitation from James, and the other, is from an admirer I hope.” Merris moved the box and letters closer to Peri so she could look them over.

Peri stares at her porridge the knot in her stomach once again fighting against her. “Eat up Peri,” her mother urged it had only been a few days since Ferrin had been gone and Peri’s face was looking thinner.

Managing a few bites as the two women talked over things Peri pushed her bowl aside grabbed her letters and returned to her room to read.

Wandering between some of the homes by the docks, Kallisto eventually found the one she assumed Thomas had meant. Hesitantly she approached, rapping her knuckles on the door, answered by Simon who seemed in the middle of a task. He motioned her in as he returned to hammering onto his wall a display of cutlasses collected from the pirate attack a few days ago.

She listened to the hammer a few times as he finished, standing back to admire his work. "A ... nice collection?" Placing a hand in her pouch she began to bring out the necklace, "I ... you probably guessed as much, like Thomas, but Tumbledown did not ... go well."

The crocodile-tooth necklace rested in her outstretched palm as she stood with her head bowed slightly, her voice soft. "I promised I would ... bring something if I found him. I wish it had been your nephew I brought back instead."

Léone looks suprised at James and his strangely neat appearance. "Oh, that sucks for the vault. It's good to see you're doing...well?" As he begins to talk about marriage and a ball, she raises an eyebrow. "Ah, I didn't realize you had to marry so soon. I hope you find the right lady. Who else are you inviting?"

As he goes on to flirt with her, she takes a step back, flabbergasted. "I, er...what?" She glances down at her ring, worn around her neck as always, and sighs. "Of course. Can't help that the thing gleams like the damn sun." Shaking her head, she looks back up to James with an awkward shrug and smile. "I mean... I might, yeah. I've got connections, though I don't necessarily think they'd be good ones." She gives him a strange look, unsure of what to say. "...What exactly were the terms of that will, again?"

Last edited:
Swampland:

"The Great Serpent or the Undying One lives in the Wetlands. It waits for hunting parties out in the Wetlands and they are never seen form again. Our only safety is in Gnash. We feed the Great Maw to keep the Undying One away but it is slowly bleeding my people dry. I must find the Lost One." The girl keeps her self in a respectful position not to anger an agent of the Shadowman. "My People are the Children of Blood. We are sustained on the life force of others so that we may grow strong, and survive the Wetlands."

Blackburn Manor:

"It stats that I must marry before a specified date, or the fortune could be forfeited many of the investors of the Blackburn family. Some of them on this list I wouldn't want to ever get a large sum of money. It does not specify a person of noble blood luckily however seeing as you were an might have had some connections already I figured it wasn't outside of possibilities. Forgive me if I put you on the spot there, it was not my intention," says James as he closes the book he was reading and places it back onto the shelf. Heather enters into the room not long after and smiles at Leone nervously for a moment.

"Did you find that book helpful?" he asks and she nods vigorously. "Your family collects many books from far and wide, I dare say that book might have been just the one I was looking for referencing signs of past inhabitants of Richemulot! That book combined with some of my research into the advanced sewer system leads me to believe that the civilization that left it behind may have been more advanced than our own!"

"Exciting, well keep the book and I was just inviting Leone here to the ball I'm throwing in three days. If it's not too much to ask I'd suggest staying as my guest until then, maybe you'll be able to take a ship back with one of the nobles that show from Mortingy or Pont-A-Museau," says James waving off her concern at keeping the book.

"I couldn't this book could be worth quiet a bit where you ever to sell it," says Heather hesitantly.

"I prefer knowledge to be used, please keep it. Leone perhaps we can discuss another time, if you're interested let me know otherwise I will pursue no further in that regard," he says avoiding specifically stating what it was. Heather looks confused for a moment before pocketing the book carefully into a bag.

Simon's House:

Simon looks over and nods slowly. He gives her a grin. "You shouldn't hang your head, there's nothing to be ashamed of," says Simon walking up and grabbing the necklace. He hangs it on his wall next to an old banner with a stylized Z on it, and another necklace that seems to be made out of shining copper with a sun symbol emblazoned on it. "Thanks for bringing it back to me, means a lot. I made that when he visited me a few summers ago, he thought it might bring him luck. Guess that wasn't the case, I'll write a letter to his parents soon letting them know. I just don't know if it's going to get through the frontlines of the war. I can only imagine Krezk right now. Must be a mess."

Arissa eyes the girl warily, before taking a more commanding tone. “I am familiar with the Great Maw. A few days past, an outsider came into your tribe, did he not? A man who was cursed to die a hundred deaths at its hand. Tell me what you know of him. Also... tell me of this ‘Lost One’. What do you know of them, and are they to share the outsider’s fate?” Arissa glances around briefly, already growing anxious. What time is it even? I had hoped to arrive home before Bernard had awoken... I pray that he does not worry too much.

Kallisto raised her head, looking at the other objects on the wall. "...Are all these from other family members as well? Or -- more collections?"

She picked at her beads, "If it means anything ... he at least was one of the few that Toben had not managed to claim until the end." She glanced around the house as she shifted her weight, "I'm sorry ... I don't know if there's more I should be saying, or if I should just ... leave. Do you need me to ... help hang anything else?"

Swampland:

"The man with Sharp Ears, and the Father of Swamps. He came lending his strength to the Great Maw. My Sister told me he came once long ago for his child, a Child of Trees. He has bought us protection for another four seasons, his sacrifice was... unexpected. I had been chosen for this season," she says into the mud still face down and unwilling to lift her head to meet Arissa's dark eyes. At the mention of the fate of the Lost One she shakes her head in the dirt. "No, The Lost One should not be offered to the Great Maw, they must defeat the Great Serpent. I know the Lost One lives among the Others. The Others who cut trees, and float on large Rafts. The Others who cannot hear the animals speak. The Bones tell us this, and no more."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back