Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 3: A Ball to Die for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arissa laughs. “I had no intention to keep the poor girl invisible for the duration of her stay. I am sad to say we are here for my clothing as much as we are for you.” She then quirks an eyebrow at Bernard’s questioning of her eye. “What is wrong? Do I have something stuck in it?” She then fell silent, only hearing the first part of Ialay’s statement before immediately fumbling for her compact mirror. No... no... no... There is no way that he would have done this... not even Legba would be so cruel. Her mind goes blank as she finally gets the mirror open, and the blood drains from her face as her knees buckle beneath her. “No... no... no...” Was all she could manage as her dreams of eventually living a normal life evaporated before her.

Léone nods at James. "I suppose I'll shop around town. I'm sure there's something I can tolerate wearing for a night. But first, I'd love to explore this house a bit more." She chuckles, though her smile falters slightly at the mention of Arissa. "Heh. Me, asking for fashion advice from Arissa. It'd be a better topic of conversation than I've tried, at least." She follows him out the door and into the hallway, waving goodbye to Grimdosh as they walked towards the ballroom.

"I'm just surprised you managed to cheer yourself up for this so quickly, honestly. I know it's been a rough few days for everyone in town." She shrugs, continuing to keep pace with him. "Maybe a ball is just the thing to get people's mind off of the recent tragedies - though it might be a bit too soon, regardless of your personal need to find that special someone."

Blackburn Manor: Ballroom

"I think you're right, it might ease some peoples minds and put pressure on others. I don't expect everyone to be happy with my decision but if I don't move forward I'll just be stuck in a limbo. No forward momentum," says James as he makes an imaginary fencing thrust into the open Ballroom. "I figure if I don't start taking things more seriously than people won't take me seriously so it's time to show that I am a Blackburn, and that name means something."

"Do you have any suggestions on what we should have for entertainment? Jugglers are OK, Fire Breathers are flashier, and maybe we might even be able to ask Thomas if any of the Vistani are around," says James as he turns to Leone with a large grin.
"Dare I ask for a practice dance? I can't say I won't need the practice if I'm going to be dancing in three days, though I've been told it comes back to you in spurts."

Bernard frowns at the new guest, "This is not good." He reaches for the amulet around his neck and finds it missing, picking up his shield quickly off the floor he utters a prayer and his eyes flash with divine light before he embraces Arissa. "It's alright, I am here for you. Do not worry, we can deal with this." He holds her close and rubs her back, trying everything to calm her down.

He glances over to Ialay. "I believe we can find your lost one. Please find something more appropriate for town in that bag while I take care of my friend. Then we will take you to her."

His attention turns back to Arissa, "Tell me you didn't see him again. Please tell me there was no deal this time." Why do you do this to me? Can't you see that it tears me up inside that you keep doing this to yourself? What can I possibly do to keep you safe from yourself? Must I sacrifice my light for your happiness?

Willow's Heart Inn:

Ialay looks at the bag and lifts it cautiously with the end of her spear. "Have the Spirits at least been appeased with these...?" she asks unsure as she begins to cautiously take things out and hold them out a ways. Once she gets one she decently likes she starts to get undressed from hers and into the new cloths without another word. She leans her spear against the wall, and her bow and arrows hoping no evil spirits would come back and haunt her for wearing whatever weird animals these cloths were made from.

Arissa barely even registered what Bernard was saying when he first spoke to her, still staring into the oily black pits that glared mockingly back at her in her mirror. Slowly, Bernard’s touch brought her back to her senses, enough that she could understand what it was he asked. She choked out a sob before stammering our a brief response. “I- I-I just wanted to be able to p-p-protect you and the others... To be strong...”

Bernard tried to focus on one crisis at a time. He covered Arissa's face with his hand and breathed gently into her ear, "Shhh", he stroked her hair, trying to calm her.

He turned to Ialay, "They come from no animal I've ever seen and I'm sure they were given the proper attention if the Angel of Shadow wears them. If it makes you more comfortable there is a fur in my pack which I skinned myself and thanked both Ezra and the Ancients for. Now, please, what is this Day of Blood and what did my father do that you owe me this?"

Willow's Heart Inn:

"Father of Swamps did not tell you of his gift to us? He gave himself unto the Great Maw and the beast within taking my place as the offering, and safe guarding our village for another four seasons from the Great Serpent. That is why I must find the Lost One, the Bones had told us she will rid us of the Undying One," she says explaining as if Bernard was supposed to understand.
"So I owe you a Day of Blood, where I will follow you into battle and kill your enemies. This is the price one pays when someone takes your place in the Great Maw."

She says this as she finishes changing and then grabs her spear, and bow putting them back in place. Then adjusting it not once but twice. "These cloths are restrictive...." says Ialay not pleased.

"Who is the Undying One and how are they connected to the Great Serpent? How will the Lost One rid you of either? Not by sacrificing herself to the beast within the Great Maw I hope?" Bernard tries to reason through what's going on. This must be what father meant that the end of his life must mean something. He then worried that his naivety might cause the girl pause. "Forgive my confusion, your customs and terms are foreign to me, but I am willing to try and help if I can. Once the Angel of Shadow has calmed down."

Willow's Heart:

"The Great Serpent and the Undying One are the same. The Lost One will defeat it at last, and I've been tasked with finding them. The Great Maw does not require the Lost One, if they were to do that then all would be lost. We would continue to die out slowly as the Undying One picked us off on our hunts. Even our Great Feasts would not sustain us before long," she says still looking down at the dress unhappily. "Why does the Angel of Shadow seem distressed? She has been given a blessing this day. Should she not rejoice?"

Having entered the manor with the help from his new acquaintance Leoné, Ludwig grins as he walks past the giant man, patting him on the chest. "No hard feelings, my friend. You only did your job, I can respect that."

Wanting to walk off and explore the manor, he's halted by the giant man, this time he's the one holding his hand on Ludwig's chest. He proceeds to point towards a section of the manor, explaining that he'll show Ludwig his temporary room. Ludwig nods and gently takes hold of his hand with both hands and steps back. "I see, what a warm welcome." He looks back towards Leoné "Thanks for letting me in, we'll talk tomorrow. I should be getting some rest, you should too!" As Ludwig is led away to his room he thanks the man and gives him another pat, tiptoeing to reach his shoulder. "I'll see you tomorrow as well."

Having closed the bedroom door behind him, Ludwig walks over to the bed and puts down his gear and belongings. He spreads out his kit of capsules, vials and syringes on the bed and grabs the big tome that he had fastened on his back. He neatly places it down on the wooden bedstand and strokes his fingers past the several bookmarks that are embedded between the pages until he reaches some specific markers.
  • Debilitation
  • Rejuvenation
  • Subjugation
  • Stimulation
  • Enhancement
  • Preservation
  • Experimental (Unstable)
Studying every section carefully, Ludwig starts preparing his concoctions for the upcoming day. He digs into his backpack, putting it's contents on the available shelves in the room. Having set everything up to start his work, he begins to mix several liquids and powders together making pastes of all kinds. Whenever he finishes one dose, Ludwig dips the end of his syringe in it and sucks up the mixture in the glass capsule, sometimes heating it or physically shaking it.

He repeats this process until he gets to the 'Experimental' tab, it is then when his face starts growing into a combined emotion of happyness and fear. Ludwig takes out the small notebook out of his pocket and starts adding some of the information he wrote down in it straight into the tome. With every line he writes he gets more intense and anxious, until he jabs one of the short needled syringes in his neck and takes deep and slow breaths, his fear ebbs away leaving only the pleasure of practicing medicine.

The next morning:

Ludwig slowly wakes up, still rolling in the softness of the duvet. He stretches his limbs, letting out a mellow groan as he fumbles around his arm to blindly grab his glasses. Having the ability to see once more, Ludwig gets on his feet and walks over to the concoctions he had prepared the night before. "Oh, that looks good. They've settled quite well, though I wonder about 'X'... I'll take it with me just in case." Ludwig puts the syringes in his kit and puts the grinded powder in his pouch, tapping his pouch and kit twice.

Having donned his gear and cleaned up his materials, he steps out of his room and wanders aimlessly through the manor, trying to find Leoné and Attimer, many questions still present in the back of his mind.

Peri set the mask and letter aside picking up the Invitation from James. Her fingers shook a little as she held it distress weighing on her heart. Cracking the seal she reads, an invitation to a ball, perhaps she hadn’t alienated him too much. With a sigh she set her feet upon the floor she would see him then and make up for her behavior, unless something forced her into James presence she needed till then to meditate on her feelings.

Setting the invitation in the box with her mask she raked her fingers through her hair. Slipping outside, in her nightgown still, and sat in her mothers green house. Surrounded by the beautiful and scented flowers of her mothers passion Peri fell easily into meditation. Whispering words of vitality peace and rejuvenation. Her fingers drawing the druid words into the dirt.

Taking in a deep breath she closes her eyes as the plants surrounding her and the grasses and bushes including her Papa’s tree double insize and lushness within 100 feet of her. The flowers on the table in the kitchen grow roots and the blooms appear to grow and open reaching in the direction of the greenhouse like they would the sun if planted.

Ballroom:

Léone follows James inside, looking around in slight awe and reverance as she looks around the grand ballroom. "Ah, not bad. Glad I get to see it before it fills up with stuck up women desperate for a handout." She chuckles, nodding in understanding. "A name is only as important as you and everyone else in the world make it. So I can understand the effort."

She considers his question for a second. "Hmm. It depends on how adventurous your guests are, I suppose. Don't think I'm the best judge of that - I think the fire-breathers are mild, if anything. The Vistani could be interesting, I've only ever seen them from a distance."

As he extends his hand for a dance, she barely manages to stifle a laugh. There was just something about his newfound confidence and cockiness that amused her. "Haha! I leave for a couple days and come back to a different James, huh?" Easing up slightly, she rolls up her sleeves and approaches him, assuming a mock waltz position. Keeping the wide grin on his face, he takes her hands and begins the mock dance, stepping to and fro on the ballroom floor.

Despite her casual intent, the combination of the grandeur of the ballroom and James's surprising skill brings back a slew of memories - reminding her of when she was a young teen, rebellious and unwilling, dragged (almost physically) to dance lessons and then to diplomatic banquets accompanying her mother. "One step forward, one step back..." Against her better wishes her muscle memory kicked in, easily matching James's step and rhythm. "Three bourée steps to the right, then he matches, then a turn as the music crescendos..." An old and overused Dementlieuse tune played in her head, drawing her into the dance even in the absence of actual music or ambiance.

The waltz continues to flow and weave almost naturally, each of the two in sync, until it finally ends in a half-twirl, looking up into each other's eyes. Léone blinks for a few seconds before snapping back to reality, releasing her grip and stepping back. She shakes her head in the disorientation. "What the hell am I doing? Just the other day, I told Bernard we were still together - and then I go and do this?" Still trying to get a hold of herself, she sighs internally. "It's been a couple months, at this point...I hope she's still doing alright."

She looks back up to James and chuckles with a smile. "My bad. You're a wonderful dancer though - don't even think you needed the practice." She breathes a sigh of relief, her expression calming slightly. "Also... thank you. That reminded me of home, perhaps too much - I'm almost tempted to write back for the first time in quite a while."

Outside the Library:

Attimer perches atop one of the chairs just outside of the library, staying outside at Léone's request so as to not disturb anyone reading inside. As his master and messieur James exit the library and leave in the direction of the ballroom, Léone chuckles and waves him off. "I don't think you'll care too much for dancing, Attimer. If you want food or fresh air, you have my permission. I'll be back soon." With that he nods and flies off, taking a morning lap and then making his way back to the kitchen to nibble at the scraps from Grimdosh's cooking.

"I remember that ... I still feel bad about some of the scars I gave him." Kallisto's eyes moved over the various items hanging on Simon's wall, "I appreciate all that Marcus has done for me, truly -- though from watching other families, I can tell there's still ... it's not entirely the same."

She frowned for a moment before returning her gaze to Simon, "I appreciate the offer, maybe we'll work together on something for the guard at some point?" Kallisto stretched, her beads clacking slightly from the movement, "I've been crisscrossing town a lot today, but I think I'm nearly done with my errands ... I intend to find Marcus, since he might be at the docks already for the day, then I want to buy some scraps of wood and make some carvings ..."

Finding a sneaky piece of hay in her hair she picked it out as she continued, "These past few days so much has happened. I know many would like to entirely forget, but I feel we should still ... honor? That may not be the right word... respect maybe? Everything that has happened." Marking off on her fingers, "As you said, the plant-things, the pirates, Toben, ...Jeremiah and Zindan... the er, werewolves..." she closed her eyes for a moment, recalling the pain she had felt when the strange person appeared and apparently cured her of the affliction. "Many things in a short time." Holding her hands outstretched infront of her, "I am not the best carver, but those who have been at the front of all this, I wish to give them something. Tara as well, for her aid, and Arissa -- the woman with the very shiny red hair -- asked for a pendant also. The time it takes me to carve will give me a chance to settle my thoughts as well..."

Kallisto smiled slightly, "If you ever want to just 'yabber on' again, I don't mind listening." She bowed her head as she moved to the door, "Enjoy the rest of your day, Simon."

Bernard looks at Ialay with frustration, both at her for calling Legba's games a blessing and at Arissa for her foolishness. "It is not a blessing, it is a foolish game from a child playing a being a god. She had the most beautiful eyes." Bernard held on to Arissa a moment longer then let go.

He stood, placing his shield with his maul and spear in one corner of the room then crossing to the other, out of reach. "Legba, I know you walk among the town. Show yourself." Bernard pictures the strange man he saw as he left the manor after the exorcism. He focuses on that image hoping to summon him, unsure if he would come.

Arissa heard the disappointment and frustration in Bernard’s voice, and wished for it all to end right then and there. Why can’t he see that I did this for him and the others? No... that’s not true. I did this for myself... because I was afraid to lose them... to end up alone again.

Bernard suddenly moves to stand, catching Arissa off guard as he did so. She reached for him, missing him by a few inches as Bernard began to call out for Legba to show himself. She chokes out a desperate plea to him in celestial. “Bernard... please do not do what it is you mean to do. Dealing with Legba... it is not worth whatever price you must pay... I know that now. This was my mistake, and is my burden to bear. Please, leave him out of this before things get any worse!”

As Ludwig is marching around the manor, he takes note of every point of significance he can find. With his trusty notebook in hand he's noting down things while walking in a steady pace. "The sight from the outside is quite decieving, it feels to be a lot larger on the inside. If I wasn't counting doors and hallways I would have a hard time pathing out my way."

When Ludwig lifts his head from his notes, he sees a black blur in the distance speeding up towards him, quickly revealing to be Attimer. As he flies over his head towards whatever goal he had in mind, Ludwig looks back over his shoulder and watches him disappear around the corner. "He seemed to be heading from that direction.. Might as well check that out." He shrugs to himself and tries to pinpoint where the bird came from, leading him up to the kitchen.

Ludwig looks at the closed door for a moment and puts his ear against it. Not hearing anything in particular, he softly knocks on the door just in case the giant man is on the other side of the door and doesn't want to be abruptly disturbed. While waiting for response, he pockets his notebook and taps both his front pockets, back pockets, medicinal kit and tome.

Last edited:
Blackburn Manor: Ballroom

James took a bow at the very end to an imaginary crowd.

"I must admit I am surprised as how much comes back. It must speak to our individual teachers that they were so passionate about us learning and internalizing," says James seeming to come back to reality as well. "And I think you should write back to them. Family is important, you don't want to end up like me with no one left."

"Thank you for indulging me for a little while, did you have plans with the others today? I'd not keep you all to myself if you have other plans," he says with a bit of curiosity in his voice.

Kitchen:

As Attimer flies in Grimdosh skillfully flips food up into the air and towards Attimer who catches it and begins to eat. Once Ludwig knocks on the door Grimdosh finished and sets a plate down at the table for Ludwig. "Breakfast is ready for you," he says opening the door to Ludwig and then gestures towards the plate.

Willow's Heart:

"We are all children, I do not understand. Do you not find her eyes beautiful? They are the Eyes Touched by the Shadowman,"
she says switching back to Sylvan though she had been speaking Mordentish. These folks had a habit of switching languages too much, especially when they talked in the forbidden language. Upon hearing Legba's name she quickly falls to the floor in a similar manner that Arissa had originally been regarded. "His name shouldn't be used, it will draw his Ire. Forgive us Shadowman for we do not come with the appropriate offering."

Einhorn Forge:

The day just wasn't going well for Jonathan at first he had felt a searing pain flow through his whole body, it had come on suddenly while he was working this morning. Then he had just messed up a blade had he spent hours on making and injured himself at the same time like he was an apprentice smith. He wrapped his burnt hand with cloth, as he headed off towards the Curio shop hoping he could by a salve with what little money he had this month after buying Zindan that necklace so he could talk normally. Maybe Reginauld would take pitty on him. He doubted it, the man was a business man, and would know such wounds were a hazard of Jonathan's job. After meeting with Reginauld and working out a price he applied it to his hand, and then wrapped the hand once more. Back at the forge he got back to work, his father and mother wouldn't hear of excuses from him. Einhorns always got back to work without complaints he reminded himself. His hammer blows fell more inconsistently but he would be damned if he didn't finish this request. Annabelle needed a new blade, and he was going to make it personally, just like he had always done for his friends.

Bernard shakes his head. "No, it's time the games end. I do not revere Legba so he gets no offering, nor do I fear him so I am not afraid to summon him to fix his mess. He is no god, but a powerful devil playing a dangerous game. If he were a god he would not interfere in our affairs as he does. He would watch from beyond the mist as Ezra, silent and unapproachable. If he wants the respect my father gave him, he must earn it like any other."

Bernard shouts, "Come out Legba, your games have gone far enough and I'll not see my friend suffer any more!"

Standing in anticipation for the door to open, Ludwig silently taps his right foot up and down on the ground. Once the door opens and the giant man appears behind it, Ludwig sighs a sigh of relief that he was right to knock first. When the man gestures towards the hot steamy plate full of morning goodness, Ludwig steps into the kitchen and gives the man a firm handshake. "Thank you for the meal, may I know your name? I'd be easier to initate conversation like that in the future."

He walks towards his meal and sits down at the table, picking up his knife and fork and gently cutting into the food. "So tell me about yourself, or don't. Whichever you prefer, I'll entertain myself if you don't. Talking about entertainment, where are the inhabitants of this manor? I assume they'd come for breakfast as well." Piercing the cut off piece of food with his fork, he lifts it to his mouth and takes a bite before tapping the corners of his mouth with a napkin. "This is pretty well made!"

Arissa holds her breath for a moment, terrified for Bernard about what Legba might do. After several long seconds, she finally speaks up. “He does not appear within the town... only beyond the totems out in the swamp. Bernard, I beg of you, please do not seek him out... I... I couldn’t bear it if something were to happen you. What is done is done... I can’t lose you as well.” Arissa goes silent again, tearing up at the thought of a world without his Light. Him and Perian are all that I have... Please, gods, do not take them as well.

Léone chuckles, giving James a mock curtsy as well. "It is surprising. I haven't had those lessons in years. I suppose my memory is just better than I thought." She looks back to him. "I don't think I have anything in particular to do today, no. If anything, I think I'm keeping you from preparing your fantastic ball. I'll be around if you need me, though."

She smirks, but it quickly turns into a genuine smile. "Until then, I think I'll take a walk or something. Relax for a bit. And, just maybe...write a letter or two. It might be long overdue." With a nod, she heads out the door and back down the hallway.

She wanders around aimlessly about the manor, not having much in mind. Eventually she makes her way back to the kitchen to find Attimer slowly pecking at some meat. "Oh there you are, Attimer! Still hungry, huh?" She walks over and pets him, before nodding to the other two in the room."So. Lovely day we're having, eh? Better than yesterday at least." She seems slightly chipper, though her stare is slightly distant - as if she's thinking to the past or far ahead or both.

"I have seen the Shadowman in town before and I would see you made whole again. Let's get this one to her Lost One then." Bernard moved to collect his things with a frustrated huff.

"Come on then, no more of the ancient tongue in town." He offers a hand to Ialay as he watches Arissa, eyes full of sorrow at his failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back