Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 3: A Ball to Die for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simon's House:

"The pendant's from my sister, she's always going on about the Morninglord and wanted to make sure he protects me even here. The Banner was who I served once upon a time. The Zaroviches maintained an army in case Borca ever decided to attack our borders, there's no love lost between the Von Zaroviches and the Dilisnya's. Kept it when I left to go serve in the small skirmishes in Richemulot where I felt I could protect people, and that's where I met Thomas. His father had sent him out to experience real fighting. Not a war like Darkon and Falkovnia or anything but they still were ruthless in the skirmishes," says Simon simply talking about some of the decorations he had up. He pulled out a gauntlet with falcon designs. "Fear the Falcon. This gauntlet we won off one of Drakov's elites. Made to never be taken off."

He shakes his head at the thing. "Fanatics all of them. Thanks for spending time and listening to me yabber on. You listen really well compared to most," says Simon patting Kallisto on the shoulder.
"Hear you'll be joining the guard potentially, might be good to have someone like you out and about. Sometimes it only takes the present of a guard to stop a fight. If not you look like you could handle a brawl."

Arissa immediately begins to make connections with what the strange new woman was saying. The man he is describing is certainly Ferrin. That must mean that the ‘Child of the Trees’... Peri? Is this what she came to Legba about? Then, hearing what the girl said about the others not being able to communicate with animals, Arissa’s mind immediately went to Kallisto. What do I know of the woman? She seems to have no home or bonds with people of the town, and is treated as an outsider although to her own confession she has lived here her whole life...

Arissa then gets down on one knee, and raises the girl’s chin, smiling at her. “I am glad to hear that you were not sacrificed. There is no need for such formality in my presence, by the way. We can speak as friends, ja?” Arissa then takes a breath, before testing her theory, switching to speaking Sylvan. “I am Arissa di Encanta, daughter and heiress to Heizan di Encanta, baron of Carmanth. To whom do I have the pleasure of speaking with?”

Swampland:

"You honor me Angel of Shadow. I am Ialay. It was... necessary that I step down to allow the Father of the Swamp to do so. There is no shame in this," she says. It is not long before she averts her eyes from you again. "Do you know the way to the Land of Others?"

She looks around as if lost or trying to figure out where you came from.

Kallisto listened with honest interest as Simon worked his way across the wall. "I don't mind listening to people speak -- it's interesting to hear them talk of places or events in their own words. At the docks ... I overhear people speak of the same places, but rarely do they use the same words to describe them."

She smiled, showing her teeth slightly as she pulled out the small badge from her pouch, "Actually, I came here from Thomas -- speaking about that. I hope I can be of help, more so than just at the docks." Her smile widened a little more, "More than a few drunken sailors have decided to calm themselves when they see me."

Léone raises an eyebrow at James, then shrugs. "I see. Well, that's understandable that you're in a rush - can't be helped." She picks up her ring and peers through the hole, catching glimpse of a small engraving on the inner side. It reads "E. L. Vaugrenard" in a tiny, delicate script. "I can't say that I'd want my family getting their hands on that money either, though I doubt I'd ever let them." Grasping the ring more tightly in her hand, she looks up at James once more. "I don't mind it. I'm flattered, really. It's obvious you're trying to switch it up for this occasion, and it seems to be going well so far. She cracks a half smile, trying to ease the awkwardness.

She looks curiously at Heather as she enters, not saying much as they converse about the book. "Curious. I do remember it being mentioned that one time when the sibling nobles were here..." As James mentions her she waves back curtly, trying to keep up pleasantries. "Ah, a pleasure. Good to know that other people are making use of the knowledge here."

When James refers back to the "discussion", she mulls it over for a bit as she considers the idea. "...It's a hard offer to pass up, that's for certain. I won't say that I'm blowing off the opportunity entirely, but I'd have to make some arrangements and...get in touch with some people back home. You know how it is." She looks back to James and tries her best to smile sweetly, mostly out of politeness. She thinks back to her time at Port-a-Lucine for just a moment, wondering how the people she left behind were doing in her absence.

Simon's House:

"Good to hear some people have some common sense, we can't always be so lucky," he says starting looking to the pirate swords on the wall. "Hopefully this town can finally have a breather after all that... craziness. Plants that possess people, and Pirates are enough for me."

He looks over to Kallisto.
"So, out of curiosity really everyone treating you alright? I know you were raised by Marcus and are practically townfolk but anyone still bothering you? I remember having to arrest a few aggressive men that was bothering you and Marcus' house."

Arissa pauses to think for a moment. I should tell Kallisto before taking this Ialay to see her. For all I know, I could still be mistaken. Arissa could feel her wings folding in behind her, and she sighed a breath of relief. “I can lead you to the Land of the Others, but I am not always in the form that you met me in, and I would be extremely grateful if you would keep my true shape between us. The Others are not always as accepting of irregularities as you and I seem to be. On the topic of this ‘Lost One’, I am afraid I have no idea who you could be referring to, but I would be happy to help you in your search.”

Bernard stirred slightly as Arissa carefully hopped her way over him. His eyes did not open, he barely moved as she left, but mentally he reached out, grabbed her ankle, begged her to stay. He didn't want to be done, he didn't want her wandering off and getting hurt, but his near exhaustion left him unable - not unwilling - to stop her.

He thought perhaps it was a bad dream, she'd stayed in bed, wrapped herself in the warm blankets and enjoyed the evening of comfort and commodity that his loss had afforded them. He hoped that was the case as he woke that morning to a knock at the door.

Bernard rose and pushed his bedroll out of the way to properly open the door. Straighten his tunic, his heart sunk noting several things:
  • Arissa was not in the bed.
  • There was a small indent that told Bernard she'd slept with the Cutlass again.
  • She'd left a note on the side table.
He opened the door, Clarence's Porter handed him two letters sealed with dogs in blue wax. Bernard nodded and thanked the young boy, closing the door. He discarded the letters from James on the nightstand, collecting Arissa's letter and reading it.

Foolish girl, of course I will worry. I cannot keep myself from it, it is not in my nature and I care about you. He took a seat on the bed, leaning his back against the headrest and watching the door. You best return safe, I cannot bare more loss at the moment.

Another knock at the door. This time the porter had brought an acoylte to the room. "I will be by the church in due time, leave me to my morning." Bernard slammed the door. Moving to the window, he collapsed to his knees, clasping his hands and praying to Ezra for strength to handle whatever may come. As he finished his prayer he was met with more power from the goddess than he'd ever been gifted in the past. He bowed his head and thanked her for her grace.

He moved back to the bed to continue his silent vigil, waiting for Arissa.

Blackburn Manor:

James nods in affirmation. "Well parties don't plan themselves, Heather could you do me a favor and go visit the bakery to see what he might be able to cook up for the occasion. It's always best to give the cooks a few days to prepare," said James. Heather nodded. "Uh yes, I can do that for you. Thanks again for the book!"

Once Heather left the room James looked back to Leone. "There was one other matter, I've locked the room to the Machine for now since I'm going to be having many guests coming and going, I have the only key so if you need anything from there you'll have to come get me," said James taking out a key and showing it to Leone.
"If you see Yelcan I know he was really into that project to let him know I'd rather we kept that to a minimum for the next few days if at all possible."

Swampland:

"I am not welcome among the Others either. I may have to watch from afar, this is a dangerous thing to go to the Land of Others. An Angel may walk among them but I... they will know. I can keep your Form a secret," she says looking at Arissa. "Thank you Angel of Shadow for guiding me to the Land of Others. I hope my journey will be at least a bit safer with you."

She finally stands up tall, with the help of her spear. It is then you notice that one of her right pinky finger is missing.

Kallisto picked at her beaded bracer while she thought back to what Simon was talking about, "People ... seem to prefer to just ignore me if they can. I don't mind too much, their pets are far more friendly." She shifted her weight slightly, "Honestly this is the most attention I've gotten in a long while, and I'm not entirely sure I enjoy it. I hope things calm down as well... Though from what little I understand... Things have been set in motion."

She shrugged once more, "When I was younger I didn't understand how to deal with people. I still don't really, but I've learned nails and teeth aren't always the best answer." Kallisto gave Simon a toothy grin as she finished speaking before closing her lips again.

Léone waves Heather goodbye, continuing to smile slightly as she exits. Once she's out of earshot she turns back to James, nodding as he took out the key and spoke about the Machine. "I didn't plan on it anyway, not for the time being. It's too loud and too dangerous, and I still need to sit down and do some proper research - among other things. Don't worry, I'll do my best to keep him out of there, enthusiastic as he might be."

She smiles, looking him up and down before catching his eye again. "With that aside, I think I need some more details about this ball of yours. What do I wear? What do I do?" She sighs, chuckling. "It's been far too long since I was forced to go to something as fancy as this. I don't even remember the last time I wore a dress."

Arissa eyes the missing digit. “What has happened to your little one? Forgive me if it is a painful memory, but I did not expect to see such a wound. In any case, I have means of getting you within the confines of town undetected. From there... are you certain that it would be impossible for you to blend in?” Arissa quickly glances around the girl, sizing her up before smiling to herself. “I believe I can tailor an outfit to your size. Are there concerns other than appearances that you hold?”

Peri sits in her bed legs crossed staring down at the box and letter her fingers gliding over the Wescot wax seal. Tears pricked at her eyes. Legba has said he had written.

Opening the letter she began to read its contents, he seemed happy, but Legba had been right his sister did raise him back from the dead and she paid the price with this sickness. Hugging the letter she wept freely for the young man and his sister. Praying to Ezra for their tragic story. Looking to the box she pulled at the silk ribbon, holding the pretty box closed, lifting the top to find a fox mask.

How did he know she wondered reaching into the box to the delicate mask a lily white adorned with ace and beads. Little pointy fox ears poked out the top giving it it’s shape . The ridge for the nose slightly elongated to a pearlescent painted fox nose. Light lines painted in orange and pearl quick strokes outlining the two tones of a foxy face. Silk ribbon affixed to the outside edges for her to tie around her head keeping the mask on.

Her finger again glided delicately over the details. Then she remembered she had asked James to help her with a bouquet to be sent to the Wescots, now she would also send a letter with it and her hopes for his sister’s returned health. Then a darkness shades her eyes and she can almost feel the panic return. James would be a difficult person to face after what happened the night prior. The letter would have to wait or she would have to face James again sooner than she liked currently as she hid in her room.

Swampland:

"I do not doubt your powers Angel of Shadow. Were you to cloak me in them I think I could sneak really well. I do not know if their strange Skins will fit me, nor do I know if the animals that made them have been prayed to," says Ialay as she looks at what Arissa was looking at. Took a moment to realize what she had said. "It was painful, but also a great honor to offer something up for the Great Feast that sustains us."

Arissa raises an eyebrow. "Can you not wear garments besides furs and skins? This gown I am in is made of silk from Criam... Never mind, that is besides the point. Come with me, I will take you to the Others, although I do not believe it would be wise to refer to them as such in their presence. While we are on the subject, I would appreciate it if you would call me Arissa, ja?" Arissa smiles at Ialay before she begins to lead the way back to Blackburn's Crossing.

Swampland:

"I do no understand... but I will call you by your proper name then, Angel Arissa," says the girl as she follows you spinning around occasionally to check where you were coming from like she's trying to keep track of all angles. It isn't long before you make it back to the outskirts of down where the girl goes low to keep her presence to a minimum. "The Land of the Others is much larger than I expected. So many Death Houses."

Arissa glances at Ialay out of the corner of her eye as she was keeping an eye out for townsfolk, before responding to her in a whisper. "Here, we just call them houses. I am not certain what is so deadly about them. I am about to cast a spell on you to render you unseen. Please, hold on to my hand so that I do not lose track of you." Arissa lightly but firmly grasps her wrist in one hand, and then ran the other down the length of Ialay's side to turn her invisible. Arissa quickly led her through town back to the Willow's Heart, and up to the room she had rented for the night. She knocked on the door. "Bernard? It's me. I hope you are decent, ja?" She then glances around, and calls out to him in celestial. "I've brought a guest along, I hope you do not mind. She speaks our other tongues, but I doubt she understands that of the heavens. Just a warning, she is currently concealed from sight, as her appearance would stand out a fair bit." Her hand lightly squeezes Ialay comfortingly. "Bernard is a very kind man. I am sure he would love to help you as well."

Bernard opens the door, he's disheveled but looks well rested. "I was worried, Arissa. Why didn't you bring me along? What if something had happened and who have you brought here?" He waits an extra moment after Arissa enters before closing the door. He turns to Arissa and the room and bows, "I'm Bernard, nice to meet you." He shoots Arissa a confused glance.

Willow's Heart Inn:

When entering the room she raises her free hand leveling the spear at Bernard as she comes uninvisible, spear pointed towards his neck but after getting a good look at him she seems a bit surprised. "Angel of Shadow, your Mate is a Son of the Sharp Eared Father," she goes to bow her head to the floor before sitting back on her legs. "I owe you a Day of Blood. If you should need me you need only call the Whistling Bird. They will tell me. Do you know where the Lost One might be?"

Arissa smirked briefly at Bernard at the word 'mate', but it dies quickly from her face at the mention of Ferrin. She then listened to Iolay's statement and shrugged apologetically to Bernard as her head is down. "This is Iolay. She comes from a tribe nearby, one that is apparently under the protection of the Shadowman. She is here looking for someone that she is calling the 'Lost One'. They would likely have arrived in town in infancy, and speak the language of the feywild. They also would possess the ability to speak with animals. Strange, ja?" Arissa felt she could not have been more clear about her suspicions without shouting them aloud, and hoped that Bernard got the message.

Bernard seems nonplussed as the woman appears in front of him. The surprise was not that she appeared but that Arissa had let the woman in with a spear in hand. His confusion was compounded by her speech. "Angel of what now? Why does everyone think we're 'mates'?" He looks the new girl over, "You knew my father? You owe me nothing... Though it would be nice to have a name. Who is the Lost One?"

Bernard takes a moment to compose himself. "Do you speak Mordentish? Are you here searching for someone you lost? I'd be happy to help if I knew who you were looking for or what you plan to do when you find them..." He turns to Arissa, "She'll stick out dressed like this and you can't keep her invisible forever." Finally focusing on Arissa for a moment, he frowns and reaches out for her face. "What in Ezra's name happened to your eyes?"

Blackburn Manor: Library

"Balls are supposed to be fun and you're supposed to be yourself. That being said, you should probably get a dress and a mask if you want to fit in, and if not you'll definitely stand out. I'm sure my attention will be pulled in every direction but I can handle that for a night I think. I'm sure you look fine in a dress, and I'm also equally sure Arissa would have something for you to wear if you don't find anything to your liking around down, or that you secretly packed with you," James says confidently as he heads to the door. "Would you like to see the ballroom? Not sure how much of the place you've explored, Grimdosh is almost done moving the tables in there I think."

James starts to head to inspect the Ballroom where the festivities would be in a few days. "Grimdosh, I'm sorry you're going to have to miss it," he says as he walks into the Ballroom.

Willow's Heart Inn:

"She was touched by the Shadowman, and given his blessing,"
she says as if not sure how Bernard could not know that. "My name is Ialay, and I come from the Children of Blood. I am looking for the Lost One who will save us from the Great Serpent. She is here with the Others, or so the Bones had told us. The Angel of Shadow has lead me this far in search, and I am glad she showed me to you. Remember the Whistling Bird," she said as she did a pretty good imitation of a bird before switching to Mordentish. "I do speak the Other's tongue as well."

Simon's house:

Simon seems to relax for a moment at that and chuckles when she bars her teeth. "I'm well aware that we put you in the cells when you were smaller because people insisted that you were a demon child. If I recall correctly, Marcus came down and spent the night in the cell with you," says Simon scracthing at the stubble beneath his chin. "He seems like he made a good father for you. You're welcome to stop by any time if you need, I'm fairly quiet most of the time when I'm not hanging anything up. Prefer it that way honestly, reminds me of my home in Barovia."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back