Blackburn's Crossing Chapter 3: A Ball to Die for

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peri smiles, “I didn’t fear the Vistani themselves just being a spectacle, but your presence did ease my fear so promise.” taking in all he had to say, her heart pained and also leapt when he said he found himself making the crossing his home.

When he started she had though just another far off country on the other side of the misty vale, but that didn’t seem correct as he described his experience. “How do you speak Mordentish then? Is it similar to your native tongue? I remember you describing a beautiful place, looking down at the floor which caused her to stumble but Yelcan’s lead in the dance made up for her distraction.

“I bet the earth doesn’t feel sick there.” The look on her face was an obvious struggle of embracing what he says to be true and lessons of this land. The mists were known to do strange things.

“So many questions, is that where Oberon is from too, or is he from where Hyde is from Lina told me Hyde was from a different place.” Questions were rattling around in her head she didn’t look at him for a while before looking straight up into his eyes through the darkness of the mask. “I’m sorry, too many questions thrown at you. I am sorry you were sent to this place of darkness, but I am glad you are here.”

Ludwig taps his fingers on the table, anticipation written all over his body language. "Let's see what's in store for me tomorrow."

When Arissa starts the reading, it seems like she slipped into a trance. Noticing that it's quite unusual, Ludwig leans over the table and attempts to get a hold of her to snap her out of it. Just before he could reach her, she starts to fall backwards from the chair onto the ground. As Arissa stands up by herself shortly after, Ludwig sighs in relief before looking at the card that was revealed.

"Ghost.." He whispers softly, picking up the card and inspecting it for a moment. "Well, that was quite the performance. I agree that we should leave it at this, I wouldn't want you to get knocked out cold too often." He puts the card back on the table and walks over to Arissa to help her on her feet. While lifting her, he notices some minor changes on Arissa. The tips of her once bright coloured red metallic hair turned silver.

"You've put in quite the effort, Lady Di Encanta. So much effort that the colour has retreated from the very tips of your hair it seems." He says as he runs a hand along the silvered strands of hair, it snapping back in position as soon as he lets go. "It seems that deck has more than meets the eye."

Arissa takes the help gratefully from Ludwig, feeling oddly stiff from the brief moment she had been seated. That was unpleasant... what is it that he is saying about my hair? Arissa reaches back and pulls down a few of her long curls from their natural raised ponytail-like position, and gasping slightly as she saw the silver spiking her hair had received. She groans slightly and puts a palm to her head. Bernard is going to kill me... or himself over what I have done in his absence...

Arissa turns to look up at Ludwig nervously. “I am afraid that the effort may have taken a greater toll than merely a cosmetic one... I feel stiff, older almost... I had felt a similar experience when I entered these lands, and was informed that the mists collected a toll from me for my entry. Herr Doktor, I know that you, like I, are not well versed in tovenarij this world seems to present at every turn, but do you think there is anything that could be done, medically speaking?” Arissa shudders at her memories of the Carmanthian doctors and clerics of her childhood, but was praying for a solution so that she would not add to Bernard’s burdens.

Léone nods at Bernard as he approached, having just finished her cupcake. "Our discussion went pretty well, yeah. James just thinks Jonathan was joking, he doesn't suspect a thing about it." She raises an eyebrow, frowning. "...Jonathan doesn't know yet either? And can't spill the beans? That's kinda strange... But no, I haven't seen Arissa yet. Sorry." At the mention of his memories returning she gives him a concerned look. "Er... that's great? Why were they gone in the first place, did something happen? Was it related to... whatever is going on with Jonathan?" She scratches the back of her head awkwardly, not sure how to respond to all of this.

Bernard held his hand up, looking at the glowing ring then cupped his other hand around it to confirm it was actually giving off light. "She never left..." Bernard sighed. "Oh, just memories of Jonathan's ghost sight. I don't know why I lost them but things make a bit more sense now. I guess it's alright. It doesn't really help with anything going on tonight or even in general anymore I guess... Should I be worried about Arissa? It's a party, she's probably off having fun, no need to worry right? I mean she didn't seem so swell when she left but she can turn it around..."

Bernard grabbed a cupcake to shut himself up and began to eat it, only realizing how hungry he was after his first bite. "She hasn't eaten since breakfast... I hope she's alright."

Listening to Arissa explaining her medical condition, Ludwig cracks a grin under his mask while calmly nodding and soothing her. "Oh, you poor thing. There must be some tovenarij at work for sure, this wouldn't have happened in our world. You say it's your second time aging already? How interesting, I'll have to write that thought down."

Ludwig whips out his notebook and starts scribbling real fast for a couple of seconds before folding it with one hand and shoving it into his back pocket. "I'll ask questions later, for now we should put our attention on the matter at hand, ja?" He takes off his jacket, revealing his entire medicine kit being wrapped around his body like a ballistic vest. Several syringes and small vials tucked away in tens of different small pouches, ready for swift use.

"I do not know the boundaries of the tovenarij of this world, but I sure know mine. I'll do my best to settle this with my medical knowledge, though it's a foreign force at work." He chats on as he puts his jacket over his chair and rolls up his sleeves, tightening his gloves around his hands. With a finger he strokes past every pouch, whispering different names to himself until he gets to a certain syringe. "Ah. Regenerative Detoxination, if it functions like diseases at home, this should get rid of whatever is troubling your system and rebuild what used to be there."

He pulls out the syringe and takes the small piece of cork from the needle tip. Flicking against the needle a couple of times to get rid of excessive air bubbles, he prepares Arissa's neck by gently brushing her hair aside for a moment. "Alright, let's see what this does, shall we?" Ludwig says as he injects Arissa in the neck.

Last edited:
Ballroom:

"He seems to travel a lot, I'm not quiet sure exactly what he does exactly but he seems rather noble in bearing. Odd for an Elf but not unheard of. I wonder where he hails from? A noble elf seems to point towards Darkon but his accent..." says Tara thinking for a moment and then shrugs. "I was never good at placing those anyways. I am happy to hear your making a present but you didn't have to. I'm sure if Atanase knew you were here and got a chance he'd say hello once again."

Léone raises an eyebrow, confused. "Er...his ghost sight?" She tilts her head at Bernard, almost wondering whether he had snapped or something. "I... wasn't aware of that?" She grabs a glass of wine from a nearby servant and sips it quietly, continuing to let him rant for a few minutes and get it all out.

When he mentions Arissa not eating she frowns and awkwardly pats him on the shoulder. "...I'm sure she'll be fine. She's a strong woman, and you've always got her back. Don't worry too much." She slides another cupcake in his direction. "I think she'd appreciate it if you lightened up as well, honestly."

Kallisto shook her head, "No -- it's, for all you helped me and did for me, it's only proper I give something in return. I don't know how long you'll be staying after the ball, but hopefully I can give it to you before you leave this time."

Glancing around again across the ballroom, Kallisto attempted to catch sight of Atanase -- what she remembered of the outfit and mask that she had seen on Tara's arm, but could not manage to find him amongst the crowd. "I did not realize he was an elf? I guess my mind was elsewhere when we met ..." she gave a small smile towards Tara, "as I said earlier though, I am a difficult person to miss. It would be nice to at least ask him how his travel went."

Arissa looked at Ludwig in surprise as he unveiled his massive array of syringes that he had kept beneath his uniform. She laughed nervously as he began to run through his stock. “My, you certainly were prepared for quite the party, ja? I was actually planning to attend a dance in Garmonn when I was taken...” She trailed off as Ludwig seemed to have located a needle to use in the procedure. She tried to follow along as Ludwig began to talk about what this ‘Regenerative Detoxination’ would do to her, but was distracted by the needle he was preparing. She took a deep breath as he approached her and rubbed the ring on her finger, praying that it would work, until she felt the sharp pinch of the needle.

Arissa felt a jolt coarse through her body as the serum shot into her system, feeling a sharp pain building up in her spine and up through to her skull. Her head pounded and aches for several long moments, and she had to shut her eyes and bite her tongue to stop from screaming. Suddenly, it settled, and Arissa felt the fog that had clouded her mind for days ease and then disperse. She could still feel the malevolent presence of Yorgi, but it seemed distant, as if he was now locked in a cell rather than creeping behind her back. She no longer felt the aggressive need to protect what she found before something could take it from her.

Arissa opened her eyes, turning and smiling to Ludwig, not even bothering to check if the serum had helped improve her hair. Dank je, Herr Doktor, je bent een wonderdoener!Arissa stands and embraced Ludwig, before stepping away and beaming at him. “I suppose I find myself owing you a great deal once more. Perhaps a dance? I am afraid I have already made several promises, but there is always room for one more, ja?”

Arissa walks over to the table, carefully collecting the cards and returning them to their box before staring at it. These are powerful... and greatly dangerous. Bernard will know what to do with them. She turns to Ludwig and smiles to him before offering him an arm. “Shall we?”

Ballroom:

"At least I think he was elven. He had the sort of sharp ears one has, though I guess he could have been maybe Half-Elven?" said Tara now thinking back on it before shrugging. "Whatever the case, I don't know where he wandered off to, though I'm sure it's not too far. Thank you again in advance for the gift, I look forward to receiving it."

"Maybe you're right. I just don't know how. It's so easy to protect people from creatures of darkness and heal wounds." Bernard finishes his first cupcake picking up the second. "It's not so easy to protect people from themselves." He looked at the cupcake turning it in his hand.

Having injected the contents of the syringe into Arissa's neck, he pulls out the needle and wipes it off with his handkerchief before putting it back in one of the many pockets. "I always come prepared, dear. You never know when someone might need medical attention, even after simple card games there might be a dire situation." He chuckles a bit to himself as he sees Arissa's body language change from a cringe to a stance full of relief and relaxation.

"Seems like it certainly did something for you, didn't it? Though your hair seems to be the same for now, I'll find something for that in due time." He says, walking back to his chair to don his jacket once more. Closing every individual button on his jacket, he suits up once more, leaving no skin to be seen.

When Arissa turns towards him with a big smile on her face, he opens his arms to accept her embrace with some friendly laughter. "I suppose you do. I'll accept your invitation to dance, though you shouldn't promise things you can't follow." He hooks his arm around hers, straightening his back with a certain refined dignity.

"I'll call upon your help when it's needed, but I'd gladly take this dance from you."

Léone shrugs, slowly twirling the glass of wine in her hand. "Well, of course that's hard. Everyone's their own worst enemy and what have you." She glances over to Bernard and flashes a reassuring smile. "But that's why you have each other, yeah? To enjoy the good times and help brush off the bad times together. In that regard, I think you're doing a pretty nice job. Both of you."

Arissa smiles to Ludwig as they began to walk back to the ball room. “I am afraid that our dance may have to wait... I have some good news to share with my friends first.”

As they enter the room, Arissa immediately spots the silver dolphin mask that Bernard wore, and guided Ludwig over to him and Léone. “Hello, you two! You both recall Ludwig, I am sure. He had helped me with a bit of a problem I have been having...”

Arissa’s smile wavered as she recalled the ending of their previous conversation when she looked to Bernard. “I am afraid that the Vistani had already disappeared into the mists by the time I had reached them... here, they are safer in your hands then my own.”

Arissa removed her flute case from her side and handed it to Bernard before looking at him concerned. “I know you likely have a great deal of questions, and were likely worried sick when I had not returned, but I promise you, after the night has ended I will tell you everything. I assure you, I am quite alright, despite slight... oddities in my appearance. No more secrets... for real this time, I promise.” She then looks up at Bernard and smiles. “Until then, let us enjoy the night, ja?”

Ballroom:

James is handed a bag by a servant on the stairs and setting it against the railing next to him he claps to get everyone's attention. "Thank you for this fine evening, of drinking, dancing, merriment and hopefully above all you will remember this party fondly. I'd like to thank each and every one of you for coming and as some of you may have suspected I plan to show off at least one more device to those who would be interested in furthering aspects of my research. Details of which can be later entailed via lettered correspondence of course, but before that lets move onto the main reason I have called a great deal of people from all over. I have danced with daughters, and bachlorettes from across the land tonight and let me say I envy no man who has the attention of so much feminine attention." James starts to go to the bag to draw something out of the bag. He takes out a sword and unsheathes a silver blade and continues to hold the bag as he continues to speak, slowly walking down the stairs.

"While I have enjoyed the company of all who have graced me with there attention there is one among you who has stolen something from me," says James holding the sword out to the crowd and passing it back and forth over the crowd before letting it rest upon his shoulder. "This person I fear may get away with this great crime but I have a feeling she is among this crowd of people now. I say this with no shame but she has stolen my heart and secreted it away to where no other may reach. Would the thief of my heart, and the owner of my family ring please step forward."

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

On the Mist covered river a boat continues to row up river to the small blackburn dock. A single lantern barely giving enough light to see as something much larger seems to follow beneath them, disturbing the flow of water as it follows. A man exits the boat and the cloaked ferryman looks to the empty side of the boat until the boat moves as if a second person has exited the boat. The large creature exits the river the water pouring off and from within side it. Smaller creatures walk forward from the water similarly. The ferryman takes one last look back it's skull face never changing emotion before it begins to slowly start to make it's way back out into the mists....

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonathan smiles fondly as he recognizes that sword in James' hand, and his grin grows a bit as James continues to talk glad that he at least provided a show piece but then there is a flash in his mind. A command to move. He searches for Arissa in the crowd locking his gaze that direction trying to get her attention to mouth the words. 'It's time.' Then he moves towards the back of the Ballroom and slips out one of the doors when he gets a chance. He could feel Legba's presence almost as if it was breathing down his neck.

Bernard removed the signet ring from his finger and placed it in Arissa's hand as he took the flute case. Then he offered her a cupcake. "Here... I thought you might be hungry. We'll... Talk tonight. I'm glad you're alright." He hugged her then stood awkwardly holding the flute case with a slight smile.

Léone sets her glass of wine down and crosses her arms, a smile creeping onto her face. "Oh, he's enjoying this way too much." As she continues to watch the spectacle unfold, in the corner of her eye she notices a slight... ripple in the wine. She glances over and raises an eyebrow ever so slightly. "What...?"

Just as she's about to question it, James calls out for the "thief of his heart" to step forward, and she quickly snaps back to reality, distracted by the expected cheesiness of it all. "Hah... guess that's my cue." She begins to weave forward through the crowd, slowly opening her wristlet and pulling out the Blackburn ring before grasping it in her hand. Right before making it to the bottom of the staircase she palms it and puts her hands up, like she's being detained. "All right, all right. You caught me. And to think, I would've gotten away with it too."

She extends her hand forward and upwards in the air, letting the ring gleam under the light of the chandeliers. "So what are you going to do about it, huh? I'm putting myself in your hands, Mr. Blackburn."

Bernard watched water ripple in the glasses on the table. Odd, I wonder what invention James has cooked up this time to entertain his guests. What if it's something more nefarious? Bernard shook his head, No, I'm sure James is just preparing some strange machine to amaze and amuse.

As James continued his speech, Bernard noticed Jonathan leaving the ball, presumably for the vault. He leaned over to Arissa and whispered, "It's time to help your friend, my love. Please be careful." He nodded his head in the direction that Jonathan ran off.

As Leone stepped forward, Bernard grinned. Good for you both. It's nice to see such Light, and in the Crossing no less. I do hope I get to perform the ceremony.

Arissa turns to Bernard, disappointed that she had arrived only to disappear again so soon after, but knowing that she would never forgive herself if something happened to Jonathan during his task. “I promise you, I will be back as soon as I can.” She turned to look at Léone and James and then smiled to Bernard. “Keep them safe, ja? I pray that the Crossing can wait until my return before all hell breaks lose.” Arissa began to move away for a moment before returning to Bernard, kissing him deeply. “Keep yourself safe as well. I could not bear a world without you in it.” Having said her peace, Arissa quickly moved to follow after Jonathan, a sense of dread filling her with every step she took out of the room.

“It is very similar to my native language actually, which I agree is curious; maybe ancestors of one of our lands helped settle the others, and thereby creating similar languages?” Yelcan moved his hand from her hip closer towards the small of her back as she stumbled, pulling her slightly closer to help keep her balance. “No, Oberon is not from my realm, but from another realm of fey, as is Hyde actually. There appear to be multitudes of different worlds out there in the unknown, but I’m not sure how much of that has been explored by anyone, and as such is very dangerous. Not everyone is so lucky to have ended up in the swamp of a powerful druid such as yourself, so I didn’t want to overwhelm you with this or anything, but I just wanted to get all of my cards out on the table. I’m glad to be here as well, and I am very glad to have found you.”

The sound of the music starts to die away and is replaced by James clapping and making a speech, calling for his chosen lady to reveal herself. Yelcan stops dancing and turns to face the stairs, taking his one hand out of Peri’s, but keeping the other on her back as they looked on. Yelcan sees Leone weave her way through the crowd and he beamed happily as he watched the couple introduce themselves to the crowd.

Ballroom:

As the figures move toward the mansion the thick fog makes it impossible to see there way but when Attimer goes to investigate the noise, the dark figure sees and with a quick hand gesture three green skulls fly out eliminating Attimer from the sky....
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
James smirks at Leone playing along and playfully snatches the ring from her hand. "I knew it to be you," says James as he winks at Leone walking closer to her as he theatrically looks at the ring for a moment then back to Leone. "Yes your fate is in my hands, and ever shall it be so." He grabs Leone's hand and places the ring on her finger. "Out of everyone here tonight, it is you I choose. What I think the crowd really wants to know though is do you choose me back?"

As Leone speaks back to James a shadow forms at the top of the second story balcony, and then speaks.

"Oh I'm sure they are wondering more than just that James Blackburn," says a voice from high up on the balcony. The dark cloaked figure slowly walks down the grand staircase towards James as he takes a protective position in front of Leone with the silver sword raised. "And you are..?" asks James with a firm voice."

"I've come to weed the crossing of your filth Mr. Blackburn," says the man who continues to about the halfway point before reaching up a darkened hand to reveal Isaiah's face. Half his face is blackened and charred, with a glowing violet eye that seems to pulsate. "I think it would be best if you left. Now!" stated James as firmly as his voice would allow. Voices among the crowd began to pick up, and one voice rose above the other, a young man. "Yes, sir you are invading a private gathering. Leave or I will remove you."

Isaiah laughs at the younger man. "I'd love to see you try..... BOY." A moment later he proceeds forward and before he even reaches Isaiah he drops to the floor like a ragdoll. "AS... I was saying before I was rudely interrupted! I've not come for you all, I've simply come to kill the last of the Blackburns." Isaiah's gaze seems to wander the crowd rigidly with his slightly hunched form before it snaps down to James. James leans a head back to Leone. "He's here for me back off for now. You might need this," says James handing her the bag with the gauntlet she had worn a few nights ago.

Van Richten comes up next to Bernard seemingly oblivious at what is going on in the middle of the room. While eyes are transfocused he pours a vial of water into a glass, and then proceeds to the next table seemingly refilling drinks. As he passes you he gives a knowing glance, and winks. Most of the other NPC's seem on edge focus inward.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Jonathan joined by Arissa races through the hallways up to the third story of the building and come to a closed door. Jonathan tries it but it is locked and he frowns. "I guess he's not going to hand us everything on a silver platter..." says Jonathan as he slams into the door a few times before it bursts open. Three figures spin around to face Jonathan, and Arissa, a fourth is down on the ground bleeding out. One of the Falkovnians, the other two draw weapons, while the Darkonese scientist seems to be at the vault attempting to look at the make up of it. "Filthy Falkovnian scum, stealing from my friend!" says Jonathan as he takes the horn he was wearing and produces a long thin stiletto from it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hyde outside seeing the flashes of green in the distance squint his eyes in the cold rain looking out to the foggy storm, the wind blowing fiercely making his time out there miserable. It soon changes as a figure walks into the light of the party of the outside, and then vanishes, but right after him a large skeletal creature on two legs, following by more creatures with two horns and axes filter out around the Ballroom's glass.

Arissa follows after Jonathan apprehensively through the hallways, going deeper and deeper into the manor to an unfamiliar door. She watched as Jonathan broke down the door, and then looked in shock as she saw that someone else had already beaten them to the vault. Several long moments passed until finally a whispering began in her mind. What the fuck are you waiting for? Let me at them! Arissa sighed as she drew her blade, twirling it as she quickly closing the distance towards the armed Falkovnian. For once, we are in agreement!

Arissa took a deep breath, before focusing on her celestial ancestry, feeling the familiar sensation of bones creaking and snapping as they extended from her back, black flames wreathing them. She quickly turned to Jonathan. “Keep them alive! We want justice for your mother, not more death!” She turned to the man before her and her black eyes fixed him in an icy gaze. “This one is mine.”

Vault Room:

Jonathan nods as the scientist quiet literally panics in a corner, the other Falkovnian afraid of Arissa's wings moves away from her trying to get past Jonathan. He steps in the way tripping over himself and slamming into the door frame as the man gets out the door. "Damnit!" he curses as he moves out the door after the Falkovnian who shakes his head starting to regain his composure. Jonathan manages to slip the dagger through the guys back but he turns slashing at Jonathan. Despite the Falkovnian's shaking hand he manages to score a hit across jonathan's chest.

The Falkovnian sneers as his alley shaking his head as his falcon gauntlets wrap around the hilts of his sword firmly and he slices getting a slice on Arissa, and then following up with a plunge that she is able to parry. Black flames leap from Arissa's skeletal wings towards the Falkovnian but he manages to jump back his feet slamming against the desk behind him but avoiding most of the black flames that erupt where he was standing. "Fucking undead witch!"

Last edited:
Arissa grunts in pain as the Falkovnian scored a blow against her, cutting into her side. The flames from her wings exploded outwards, engulfing her attacker as she stared at him in anger. This dress is one of a kind! Let the bastaard have it, Yorgi. Yorgi was happy to comply, and Arissa felt a hum of power run through her body as she quickly feinted left, before scoring a massive blow against the man’s chest. She called out to Jonathan in the hallway. “These pathetic men are no match for us!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back