Best Way to Find an RP Partner?

Sepulchritude

Perpetual Brainfart
<p>

This is a bit of a dumb question, but what is the best way to find a private RP partner? How would I go about best describing to people what I was intending to RP, how I was going to RP it and other such details? Is there any good formula that you could recommend?

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
The best place to post for this is in the 1x1 Interest Check forum! You can post all of the things you want to roleplay, your style, etc etc. :)

A great habit I always recommend is to offer and ask for writing samples. This is a good way to ensure compatibility style wise. I always like to have a beginning post ready too, so they can get a feel for the story and jump right in. You may want to have a general plot already laid out. I prefer to let the story write itself, and be surprised. I think it's more fun, and that way I'm never disappointed if it doesn't turn out exactly how I imagined it. Certainly you can suggest plot points, and nudge the story in a specific direction. A good partner will be able to roll with the twists and turns and offer their own to keep it interesting.

nerdyfangirl said:
1x1 Interest Checks Here's the link to the 1x1 interest checks.
As for what you put in a search that's entirely up to you.
I certainly knew about 1x1 Interest Checks, but I wasn't sure on how I would go about attracting potential people to RP with.

melissaphilia said:
A great habit I always recommend is to offer and ask for writing samples. This is a good way to ensure compatibility style wise. I always like to have a beginning post ready too, so they can get a feel for the story and jump right in. You may want to have a general plot already laid out. I prefer to let the story write itself, and be surprised. I think it's more fun, and that way I'm never disappointed if it doesn't turn out exactly how I imagined it. Certainly you can suggest plot points, and nudge the story in a specific direction. A good partner will be able to roll with the twists and turns and offer their own to keep it interesting.
Hmm, I see. Thank you for the advice, you've been very helpful!

I find that one of the best ways to find a partner is to include samples or fragments of plots that you've been working on. Even if it's just a shell of a plot, it's something a potential partner could latch onto. It's much easier for me personally to say: "Hmm, that plot looks interesting, maybe we can work with that" rather than to come up with an idea for a pairing.

Just using my own experience, though.

as the others mentioned, checking out the 1x1 Interest Check forum

is a must. you could make your own post there and list out necessary

info. the necessary infos i consider would be:

-
a little bit of info about you ( include interests / fandoms, timezone, rp experience )

-
preferences ( and maybe pet peeves ) in character / tropes / cliches / plots / etc.

-
the plots, pairings, genres, and/or fandoms you're interested in roleplaying

-
what you would like for a partner ( e.g. how often should they post? do they have to use faceclaims?

any word / paragraph count per post? do they have to play multiple characters? do they have

to exclusively play
*insert gender here* for this plot?, do they have to give out rp samples?, etc. )

> you could write this as a rules / guidelines page and format it however you wish
:)

of course, you can add
more info than you would like and be as specific as possible

so people already have a clear idea of what you have in mind. i suggest
being specific

enough for them too understand but not too specific to the point that it gets too dull

to read.

other than making your own post, you could also just
lurk the forums and find a roleplayer that

suits your taste. you could do this by
checking out their posts in the 1x1 interest check, check out

their posts in group forums and look at their rp preferences, etc. after that, obviously, you have to

send them a PM ( or post in their 1x1 search thread ) and tell that you are interested in rping with

them. when messaging someone, i highly suggest that you
pick which of their preferences / plots /

pairings / etc. interest you and expand on it more. add your own ideas! be enthusiastic! be friendly!

another tip i can give you is that if you are making a 1x1 interest check thread ( or any rp thread at

all actually ),
try to make it pretty! i know that aesthetics isn't everything but actually, it does help in

garnering attention and keeping your audience reading instead of closing that tab midway. if you

aren't good in bbcode and/or graphics, you could ask someone who offers their services in the

Creativity forums OR you could do it yourself. of course, it doesn't have to be super pretty but at

least make it pleasing to look at!
:D

i hope these tips helped and i also hope you find a rp partner for you soon! ヾ(^∇^)

Chennn said:
as the others mentioned, checking out the 1x1 Interest Check forum
is a must. you could make your own post there and list out necessary

info. the necessary infos i consider would be:

-
a little bit of info about you ( include interests / fandoms, timezone, rp experience )

-
preferences ( and maybe pet peeves ) in character / tropes / cliches / plots / etc.

-
the plots, pairings, genres, and/or fandoms you're interested in roleplaying

-
what you would like for a partner ( e.g. how often should they post? do they have to use faceclaims?

any word / paragraph count per post? do they have to play multiple characters? do they have

to exclusively play
*insert gender here* for this plot?, do they have to give out rp samples?, etc. )

> you could write this as a rules / guidelines page and format it however you wish
:)

of course, you can add
more info than you would like and be as specific as possible

so people already have a clear idea of what you have in mind. i suggest
being specific

enough for them too understand but not too specific to the point that it gets too dull

to read.

other than making your own post, you could also just
lurk the forums and find a roleplayer that

suits your taste. you could do this by
checking out their posts in the 1x1 interest check, check out

their posts in group forums and look at their rp preferences, etc. after that, obviously, you have to

send them a PM ( or post in their 1x1 search thread ) and tell that you are interested in rping with

them. when messaging someone, i highly suggest that you
pick which of their preferences / plots /

pairings / etc. interest you and expand on it more. add your own ideas! be enthusiastic! be friendly!

another tip i can give you is that if you are making a 1x1 interest check thread ( or any rp thread at

all actually ),
try to make it pretty! i know that aesthetics isn't everything but actually, it does help in

garnering attention and keeping your audience reading instead of closing that tab midway. if you

aren't good in bbcode and/or graphics, you could ask someone who offers their services in the

Creativity forums OR you could do it yourself. of course, it doesn't have to be super pretty but at

least make it pleasing to look at!
:D

i hope these tips helped and i also hope you find a rp partner for you soon! ヾ(^∇^)
Ah, I already did pretty much all the things you first suggested, and then more.

However, I'm not quite sure on how to pretty my post up: I've already inserted lists, boldened important details and other snatches of BBcode, but I'm not sure on how to further improve it. So thanks for recommending those forums!

And thanks for everything else too, I appreciate it.

Through use of an ancient ritual.

First you gather your materials, a candle, a bell of some sort, a book of the dark arts(or a hentai manga), 3 pieces of chalk, a box of sea salt(not the table top variety, demons are picky) and finally a bottle of ox blood. Also a lighter.

After you collect these items follow these steps.

Clear the floor of your ritual area and draw a large circle with the chalk, then use the salt your acquired to make another just over it, this is to protect yourself and to help with your summoning.

Safety first~!

Now with the chalk draw a star with each point extending out to the edge of the circle, doesn't need to be perfect just have the lines straight enough to resemble a star.

Next, place the book you gathered in the middle of that circle and then place the unlit candle atop of it. You must then wait until midnight before you kneel down before the book within your circle and ring the Bell 6 times, not 7 times, not 5 times, 6 times.

It's important, no more then 6, alright? Good.

You must then repeat these words 6 times.

"Come, come, I beckon you! Come to my circle and say it true! Show me the one who will join my quest! Show me the one who will fit me best!"

Once finished before you should be the god of roleplayers, or goddess whoever it feels that day really, last time it showed up to me as a teddy bear and- sorry, got side tracked. Give this creature the oxen blood, while telling it the partner you so wish to have, along with any ideas you've had for other roleplays.

It will bless these ideas, protecting them from the lethargy and apathy demons that prey upon them. From there you must give your thanks and light the candle with your lighter and the spirit will be gone.

And with that, you shall find your partner! Hope this was helpful~!

Orikanyo said:
Through use of an ancient ritual.
First you gather your materials, a candle, a bell of some sort, a book of the dark arts(or a hentai manga), 3 pieces of chalk, a box of sea salt(not the table top variety, demons are picky) and finally a bottle of ox blood. Also a lighter.

After you collect these items follow these steps.

Clear the floor of your ritual area and draw a large circle with the chalk, then use the salt your acquired to make another just over it, this is to protect yourself and to help with your summoning.

Safety first~!

Now with the chalk draw a star with each point extending out to the edge of the circle, doesn't need to be perfect just have the lines straight enough to resemble a star.

Next, place the book you gathered in the middle of that circle and then place the unlit candle atop of it. You must then wait until midnight before you kneel down before the book within your circle and ring the Bell 6 times, not 7 times, not 5 times, 6 times.

It's important, no more then 6, alright? Good.

You must then repeat these words 6 times.

"Come, come, I beckon you! Come to my circle and say it true! Show me the one who will join my quest! Show me the one who will fit me best!"

Once finished before you should be the god of roleplayers, or goddess whoever it feels that day really, last time it showed up to me as a teddy bear and- sorry, got side tracked. Give this creature the oxen blood, while telling it the partner you so wish to have, along with any ideas you've had for other roleplays.

It will bless these ideas, protecting them from the lethargy and apathy demons that prey upon them. From there you must give your thanks and light the candle with your lighter and the spirit will be gone.

And with that, you shall find your partner! Hope this was helpful~!
Sam and Dean would be so proud (> :D )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back