• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Battle Royale

Hearing the boy's name made Aron smile politely. "The pleasure is truly mine, Azazel of House Nicht." The prince made no mention of his House, yet it was part of Aron's education to learn the various families of prestige and fame in all Twelve Kingdoms. "My name is Aron of House Sanagar." He had to admit, Aron was genuinely intrigued with Azazel, for he seemed remarkably cultured for a Fantasma Islander. "If you would be so kind as to grace me with your company, why don't you see me later and enjoy this fine day over a glass of wine? I have a few bottles of Matrisian Red stowed away somewhere. . ."

The sounds of music and song spilled from one of the open windows above. The instrument was nothing like Aron had ever heard before - not like the lute, nor the harp, nor the flute, nor any other instrument that was played in your standard ballroom. Its sound had a graceful bell-like quality to it, and it was oddly soothing. If the peals of clock tower bells could have been turned into an instrument upon which they might be played, this was it."Such a lovely sound . . . but what is it?" Aron commented.

@SweaterGabe @NightFlame

Last edited by a moderator:
Venise raised a brow at the guard who went down. Shrugging, she's returned her head to the piano. She could hear slight whispers through below. Has he not ever heard a before? Sure, it was not common in most balls, but castles usually had all existing instruments, at least, hers had. Perhaps his wasn't exactly fond of instruments. But what was not to like? A this broke the heiress in her thoughts. The princess heard a soft this from the wood. Ephraim seated himself nearer to her. His attempt for small talk was something Venise found nice but cliché. "I've been playing it since I was a child." She replied, feeling no need to say more. Yes, she'd want to talk fondly about her past. But no matter, she didn't want to talk about it to a simple acquaintance. You could never trust Venise on what she says mostly about herself unless she truly trusts you. She hates being lied to but she hates nosy people. What was the girl to do?

"Wow. You must really have a thing for music for you to have been learning it since young." Ephraim exclaimed. He never got the passion that most musicians would have. He never managed to have that passion where musicians always linger on which makes them play so beautifully. He does fortunately, appreciates many forms of arts. Music is one.

"Oh, don't worry about Seth." Ephraim told her when he saw her raising an eyebrow at Seth. "His just a bit too peculiar about all that's happening." And he was right. Seth's been around with him ever since Ephraim was a young lad. To have him stayed loyal to Renais for so long was a story told by knights all around Renais.

Venise turned her head to Ephraim once again. She gave him a nonchalant shrug. Although she seemed lazy, once she had developed a passion for it, nothing can stop her. Be it rules, restrictions, consequences. "And I take it you just like the sound?" She more of said than asked. Although Venisse appreciated it if they liked it, she felt quite annoyed sometimes when people paid people to play against their will. If they wanted to do it, do it themselves, although she doubted she had the right to say that. She was awfully lazy when it came to things that bore her.

Venkse eyed the door. "Exactly why I protested to bringing any sort of servants." She muttered loudly. She hated it when people stuck their noses where they weren't supposed to be. Her business was her business. A gust off wind flew from the window as Venise's thought went wild.

"I don't just like it. I enjoy and appreciate it. In my opinion, music isn't something everyone could handle. Just look at me." He joked, a little ashamed of his inability to play any musical instrument, apart from whistling, if you could even call that an instrument.

"Well I would have just wanted to come here with Seth but my father insisted the entire squad to follow." He said, looking down. For some reason, he felt a little embarrassed saying that. He bit his lips.

Venise smiled. She was quite glad to know that he appreciated it. She rolled her eyes at Ephraim. "Just because you appreaciate it doesn't mean you need to play it, much less can." She pointed out. She surprised even herself. How long since she'd play the piano. She never was this nice. Never. Yves finally found his mistress after a few minutes of looking. He peeked through the door. He went into a little shock as he saw his princess talking with someone who didn't seem annoyed with her. He blinked, just to make sure this wasn't a hallucination.

"Pardon me for interrupting," Yves creaked the door open and entered. He bowed. "But I'm afraid The Heiress must come with me. She hasn't done what her father has requested." He added politely. Venise glared at Yves. She knew all too well that he knew that she'd never do it on her own will.

Azazel nodded his head to a'Aron politely, 'Certainly, any time. It would be an honour to drink with you.' Over the years, he had learned many a thing about Allenova, but biased as they were by his father, he was not surprised to find that al'Aron was not the brute dimwit that his father had made him out to be. This was actually somewhat of a relief, as Azazel believed he had just found an ally, even if only for now.

Their conversation was cut rather short at the pleasant sound of an instrument somewhere high in the Castle of Twelve. Honestly, Azazel was familiar with the instrument with w, though he could not play himself. There had been a dusty piano somewhere in his own castle back home, though his father had never allowed him to get lessons, believing music to be a waste of time for a noble. Occasionally, however, he would sneak in to the ballroom and press keys, never quite able to produce a sound as beautiful as that which he was hearing. 'It's a piano,' Azazel smiled deeper now, his uncomfortable posture straightening with pride.

When it stopped, a sullen emptiness overcame Azazel. He wished for it to continue, to perhaps see the mastermind behind the song in action. Alas, he knew this was selfish of him and simply nodded towards al'Aron, eager now to get inside and find whatever treasures the Castle walls might be hiding. 'Shall we find our quarters?' With his arm, he signaled for al'Aron to take lead. Somewhere behind him, Darion was returning from hitching the horse in the stables, carrying Azazel's plentiful amount of leather-bound books.

Ephraim politely stood up stepped aside. "Well then, I shall leave you to your business. I apologize if I... intruded you earlier on. I guess I'll see you later." Ephraim smiled charmingly to her before he proceeded for the door. He gave a friendly smile to Yves before he went down the stairs.

As he exited, the Knights were still standing in the same exact formation when he left them. Ephraim couldn't help but laughed.
"Is there something wrong Prince Ephraim?" Ephraim shook her head, "Nothing. You guys should to relax a little." Ephraim saw the group of nobles conversing and decided to get acquainted with them as well.

He walked towards the group and gave a warm smile,
"Greetings. I'm Ephraim of Renais." Seth and the Knights waited patiently a few feet away from the group.

@SweaterGabe @Lorkhan @NightFlame

@everyone

The white-haired boy either ignored Tian's whistle, or didn't realize that it was directed at him. Or maybe both. Both was likely. Tian pouted, a little upset at being rebuffed like that. "He's a strange one," he huffed.

"If you say so, my lord," Exton intoned flatly--and suddenly-- behind Tian, causing the prince to jump.

"Oh for the love of the sun in the sky! I had forgotten you were there," Tian admitted, laughing a little sheepishly.

Up ahead, a faint sound was drifting down from the castle-- a sweet, haunting sound that caused Tian to shiver slightly, despite the warmth of his riding clothes. The sound reminded him of the castle muscians back at Circinus, mute individuals who only seemed to come alive seated in front of the black and white keys of the castle's grand piano.

"There's still time before the ceremonies, if I am correct. I want to know who it is that's playing this piece. It's so... familiar," Tian remarked, brow furrowing. They set off down the path towards the castle, and Tian filled the silence with his trademark chattering, "Us Circinii absolutely adore the arts. My parents especially loved music, and we have a few musicians to play for the courts. I had thought their skills were unparalleled, but this... this comes close."

The music took them up through the castle, to a room where most of the royals seemed to be gathered. Tian whistled quietly as they arrived, to announce their presence, "Pardon the intrusion but I heard the piano, and I could not resist the urge to come up here to compliment the muscian responsible for such a haunting, lovely tune! A tune, I must say, as exquisite and charming as the one responsible for its source." Tian bowed deeply to the silver-haired royal sitting at the piano bench.

Odierne followed Lord DeNua's lead, through the twisted halls and up the stairs of the castle and into the piano room. She half listened to his chatter, nodding periodically in acknowledgement. The other half of her was entranced by the beautiful piano music. She quite enjoyed making music herself, though she had little experience with the piano, and so admired the skill of its player even more.

When they entered the room she saw it was the silver haired girl she had noticed earlier who was sitting at the piano stool; the De Troy heiress, if she remebered correctly. She stood a little behind Lord DeNua, glad to let him do the talking and not remembering to introduce herself. Her mind was still on the music, which had relaxed her greatly, and she had almost forgotten about her surroundings and about the many regal figures nearby.

@tanagerie

@NightFlame

"A piano." Aron said, stumbling over the foreign word. The name of the instrument was familiar to Aron. He remembered reading about these pianos from one of the books in his father's personal library, yet he'd never had the opportunity to hear their music personally until today. Aron wondered why such an instrument never caught on in Allenova; it would drive an entire ballroom mad with awe and amazement for sure. Had his people really become that insular?

Lost in thought, Aron almost failed to notice the young man that had come to greet him, who, with a pleasant smile on his lips, introduced himself as the Prince of Renais. The prince before him certainly looked like a Renaisian, what with his golden blonde hair, deep green eyes, and remarkable height. Surely Aron could stick around for a little while to chat? The lordling of House Ephraim might be of some use to him. "Ah, hello to you as well Prince Ephraim." Aron bowed courteously, extending his hand to the Renaisian. "I am Aron, of House Sanagar. Prince Azazel and I were just heading in for some wine. Perhaps you'd like to join us?"

@SweaterGabe @MrPotato

Ephraim pondered over the thought of wine. Perhaps a bit of drink would help him to relax. A cup won't kill him. "Splendid. A cup of wine would do me fine." He finally replied to the handsome noble. He thought that everyone as well was enchanted with the piano. Miss De Troy certainly possess a talent for the piano. But there was also something about her that he felt enchanted with as well.

The princess nodded. He was certainly something.

Venise glared at Yves as he went down stairs. The specific will of the king was to keep away from all kinds off relationships that would not benefit her. Her moods was now ruined, and doubt was in it that it would return. Going on to the piano, she took a deep breath and calmed herself. She continued tonplay the piano. The piece was already in its middle parts. Despite the sounds of the footsteps she could hear, she continued on.

The two entered. The prince bowed to her, sending quite a charming compliment too her as well. "I've been told. Although flattery won't get you anywhere, I suppose stating facts about my skills doesn't count." She stood up and turned around. There she bowed down. "Princess De Troy of Azure. And you must be?" She raised an eyebrow. Her blue and green eyes curiously eyed the girl behind the prince. Were they perhaps in a relationship? Venise returned to her post and smirked. "I don't mean to make assumptions, but is that your spouse behind you?" She questioned. She didn't judge, but really, bringing your loved ones to death?

Odierne flushed red at the De Troy Princess's question.

"Oh! N-no that's not it at all..." she stuttered "We met outside the palace less than an hour ago, and then we decided to follow your beautiful piano music all the way up here..." In her frantic attempt to fix the misunderstanding, she almost forgot, once again, to introduce herself. "Ah I appologize, I should have introduced myself earlier. I am Princess Odierne of House Malenfant of Matrise," she said as formally as she could manage, still feeling a bit flustered. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Princess De Troy." She gave a slight, anxious curtsey.

@NightFlame @tanagerie

@NightFlame @arellealone (@MrPotato ?)

Tian laughed off the De Troy's blunt question, "Oh no, Princess Malenfant and I have only just met. I am Prince Tian DeNua of Circinus, and it's a pleasure to meet you, my lady." He punctuated this with a sweeping, dramatic bow.

Tian walked farther into the room, circling around the piano and De Troy, "As a child, I took it up as a hobby, but I never did have the patience for the long hours it demanded. You must have some remarkable will to be able to have developed your skill to such a masterful level! If I could only have a single drop of your talent, surely-- hm?" The last part was addressed to his guard, Exton, who had tapped lightly on Tian's arm.

"My lord, the ceremonies will begin soon. You may want to seek out your quarters," Exton said quietly.

"Ah, I had almost forgotten," Tian clicked his tongue. He turned to address the occupants in the room, "It's been a long ride here, my friends, and I have it on good authority that the ceremonies will be starting soon! As charming as we all appear, a little freshening up never hurt a lord or a lady. What do you say that we make a journey to the royal quarters?"

Azazel felt somewhat on edge, at the thought of being friendly with people who would later likely kill him and his weak body. Alas, this fear that niggled away at his flesh like an infestation made the thought of a cup--or three--of wine sound particularly appealing. 'Absolutely, we would be grateful to have you in our presence,' he added to al'Aron's offering to the newcomer to the conversation, Ephraim. The boy appeared to be around his age, perhaps just slightly older, and held himself in a casual but distinctly noble manner that accompanied all royal families, he supposed.

Azazel was very familiar with the Arcane Kingdom of Renais, as it is the home place of the boy with whom had been captured and slaughtered beneath his castle; it was the kingdom that had taught Azazel that brutality and shameless totalitarianism was not the way a kingdom should build itself, but instead as a people focused kingdom that has only the best thoughts of its residents in mind. Because of this, Leon Ephraim was somebody whom he had read many an article upon, that is, unbiased ones unlike the propaganda that his father produced. In many ways, Azazel looked up to the Renaisian heir. Gently, Azazel bowed to his idol and smiled genuinely, holding his hand out despite generally disliking human contact, 'Azazel of the Fantasma Isles. Nice to meet you.'

Venise nodded in understanding. Only an insolent fool would bring people whom they care about. Smiling, Venise bowed to the Odierne. They're kingdom's customs we're a bit different. Ladies only curtsied in dances and when someone was of higher standing. In this case, the princess didn't recognize the others as of a higher standing, and more off an equal. "Yes, of course, Matrise. I'm familiar." Venise wondered in her thoughts. She was fairly sure that it was an heir. She had met him in one of the visits of the kingdoms.

Turning to, Prince Tian, the heiress could only shrug. "If it we're a hobby, I wouldn't have played it. I take it more as a.. A profession perhaps." She pointed out. She wasn't one to work hard. They usually came in naturally. It was rare for her to work hard for something. She would often manipulate manipulate people.

Venise simply offered a smile. "Well, I'm sure you have your charm to make up for it." She complimented. Prince Tian was charming, but she was used to it. After the many marriages her father offered her, she had developed an immunity to cliché charms.

The white head nodded. "Of course." She replied.

Odierne was relieved to see Princess De Troy nod in understanding. She sighed at herself, realizing too late that the Azurian customs surronding when to bow and when to curtsey were different than those in Matrise. There were so many things to remember that it felt like an impossible task. She hoped she hadn't given the wrong impression.

"Yes I think it would be wise to seek out our chambers before the ceremonies begin..." she replied in acknowledgement, feeling extremely grateful for an excuse to steal some time alone to collect herself. "It was a pleasure meeting you both. I look forward to meeting again at the ceremonies," she said with a small smile, bowing slightly before turning to make her way back down the long hallway and spiral staircase.

Outside the piano room, she spotted another group of royals (@SweaterGabe @Lorkhan, @MrPotato). Though she thought she should probably introduce herself, she felt far too mentally drained to undertake another attempt at socializing just yet. As a compromise, she nodded toward them and bowed her head slightly in acknowledgement, sending as much of a smile as she could manage before continuing down the hallway toward the staircase. "I'll introduce myself properly later..." she thought to herself, anxious to slip away to her quarters as quickly as possible.

Ephraim held up his own hand and warmly greeted Azazel's. "A pleasure to meet you as well." Ephraim said with a smile. Ephraim of course knew about the history of fateful incidents between their two kingdoms. Initially, he found out through rumors and gossips of the servants as his father decided not to inform him, afraid that it would change his state of heart of a caring and peacekeeping person into a hateful and have an eye for vengeance. His not ignorant nor naive but he knows if he gives in to such behavior, Renais may never know peace. He would work hard like his father before him to build peace and harmony in the region. For the people.

"Well then, shall we head inside now?" Ephraim asked as he politely withdrew his hand and gestured to the castle.

Aron nodded approvingly at Prince Ephraim's acceptance. "Inge! With me. And bring the good wine." A bald-headed man in blue and white livery shuffled out from behind a tower of crates and chests. In his hands was a bottle of fine Matrisian red wine, a favorite among the Emperor's courtiers. With Inge now at his side, Aron sauntered into the keep. He'd taken a stroll around the castle before the others arrived, so he had at least some idea of where he was going.

Eventually, they came to the solar, a small yet modest room. Brilliantly colored paintings lined the walls here, each depicting one of the Twelve Heroes of old. Six ornately crafted chairs tucked into a similarly styled table, where Inge set down the wine bottle, as well as three silver goblets. Taking a seat, Aron took it upon himself to fill each of the goblets, all the while gesturing his guests to take a seat as well.

@SweaterGabe @MrPotato

Azazel followed quietly behind al'Aron, he himself having not the slightest clue where they were headed. As it seemed, however, al'Aron did, and so he took faith in the fact that they weren't on some blind walk, but on a path to a particular location.

When they reached their destination, Azazel stopped halfway through the doorway. The paintings had a thin film of dust coating their otherwise immaculate artwork, painted in a similar style to his own portrait in the hall of his home castle in Fantasma. He wondered briefly if perhaps a descendant of the original artist was that with which had painted his, though it seemed unlikely.

At al'Aron's gesture to seat, he gently pulled out one of the ornate chairs and sat down, all the while taking in their beauty. Small but precise patterns had been embossed in to the gold lining of the chair. Said gold hadn't faded at all since its molding, nor had the deep wine coloured velvet that it cradled. The fact that there were only six chairs set out at the table was curious, considering the Heroes of Old counted twelve. Alas, Azazel had spent enough time thinking hard on unimportant details, and was ready to settle down to a nice swig of wine.

'Thank you kindly, al'Aron,' Azazel proposed his thanks before taking one of the goblets from its place in front of al'Aron; he admired its shine while lifting it to his mouth. A taste not bitter nor sweet entered his mouth and he swished the liquid around on his tongue for a few moments before swallowing, enjoying the soft burning sensation as it slid down his oesophagus. Returning the goblet to the table, he smiled meekly at al'Aron. 'What beautiful wine; much better than that with which I have stocked at home. Is that cherry I taste?' He then turned to the newcomer to their presence, Ephraim, 'You absolutely must try this, friend!' Already, he felt more at home, comfortable with his new acquaintances. Best not to dwell on their upcoming task of, y'know, killing each other. Make alliances while you can and all that.

@Lorkhan @MrPotato

Even before Ephraim could take another step, Seth cleared his throat and gestured to Ephraim his katana. Ephraim gave a quiet laugh and shook his head. He mouthed the words "Just stick around." quietly before heading off with the other nobles. The Knights of the Round Table simply nodded while Seth gave a worried look. Its not that Seth does not believe in the ability of his prince but he is simply worried. The Knights of the Round Table waited patiently at the castle gardens.

As the little group went to the room, Ephraim got a free tour as he hasn't got the opportunity to roam the castle ground properly. From time to time, he stopped for awhile to appreciate the majestic and beautiful art pieces hanged around the walls.

When they reached the table, Ephraim politely seated himself as Aron poured the wine. When he saw the smile on Azazel's face as he drank the wine, he decided to try as well.
"A cup won't kill me." He joked as he sipped the wine. He savored the wine as it reached the tip of his tongue. "Mmm, truthfully I'm not a fan of wine but this is good." He complimented the taste of Aron's wine.

@Lorkhan @SweaterGabe

Odierne took the stairs back down to the main hall of the castle...or at least that was where she thought it was taking her. She realized too late that she must have made a wrong turn somewhere, the surroundings becoming increasingly unfamiliar. It seemed she had somehow gone too far down, ending up in a darker, stone corridor. Perhaps it led to the dungeons. She sighed deeply. "How is it that I can navigate a forest without any trouble, yet I manage to get lost in a castle?" she wondered. She wished she had asked one of the servants to go with her, but her entourage had dispersed much earlier. She did not have her own trained guard as some of the other royals did; such precautions were an expense too great for Matrise's current economy.

Just as this thought entered her mind, she heard a small skittering noise from somewhere behind her. She turned quickly, senses heightened and ready to defend herself, only to see a small mouse scurrying accross the stone floor. She relaxed immediately, a warm smile spreading over her pensive face at the sight of the tiny, furry creature. She knelt down and extended her hand slowly, humming softly in a way that mice usually seemed to enjoy. The animal came toward her quickly, sniffing at her hand for a moment, whiskers twitching with interest. Odierne felt a mutual sense of comfort overtake the both of them. Mice were easy to charm, and she was quite glad to have found a companion who was sure to know the castle far better than she did. "Can you show me to the way to the main hall?" she asked aloud. She conveyed the question both through her words and through her hazel eyes which, stared right into the mouse's black ones. The mouse, understanding the request, scurried off again, stopping and turning every so often to make sure the dark-haired Princess was still following behind.

In no time, the two were standing in the main hall. Odierne smiled with relief. The mouse looked up at her curiously, and she knelt down to look into its eyes once again. "Will you stay with me? I could use a friend like you in this strange place," she asked. The mouse let out a small squeek, which Odierne knew was an agreement. She scooped up the willing creature in her hand and slipped him into the pocket of her skirt. She felt him shuffle around a bit inside until he settled into a comfortable position. Once they were both ready, she continued down the main hall in search of someone who could direct her to her temporary living quarters.

Venise nodded and left. She had scouted the castle out before the others went in. She had always had a good sense of direction, be it forests, castles or mazes. The princess stopped in for oont of the door, the Azuranian royal crest was encrypted on the door. Sighing, Venise opened the door. The pedestal in front of it with the crest imprinted on it seemed to glow as the large doors we're opened. Inside had three colors in it. The colors of Azure. Black, Grey, White, Silver, Gold and Cream, which happened to be Venise's own favorite set of colors as well. Black for hunting, white for mourning, grey for war, silver for honor and gold for love. She sat down. Her things had been put Iin their right places, as expected from Yves. Kicking her shoes of, she went in her walk in closet and.closed the door behind her softly. Half of the clothes was hers and the other half was Traditional Azuranian clothing. She changed into an off-shoulder long sleeved black silk shirt. It opened up to the wrists. Then some white leggings and gold riding boots that reached up to her knees. She his a dagger in each of her boots. Hey, a girl needs to be prepared. Venise clicked her boots to the door and left the closet. She left the room with a breath of relief. She didn't know why, but she felt somewhat anxious. The girl started walking, beer thoughts scattered all around. Somehow, she found her way in the main hall, where the other royals seemed to be gathered. Approaching Odierne, she smirked. "It seems the ceremonies are about to begin princess." She spoke with confidence.

@arellealone

Odierne turned to find herself face to face with the silver-haired royal she had met in the piano room. "Ah hello again Princess De Troy," she greeted, studying the girl's face. She seemed to radiate confidence and had an air of rebelliousness about her. Odierne admired it. It was an honest confidence, not like the arrogant and haughty sort she saw in many of the political figures she had been forced to meet prior to her arrival at the castle. She got the sense that the De Troy heir was unapologetically true to herself, not tied down by a desire to please. They had some things in common, Odierne thought, in terms of honesty, but that sort of confidence was something that always felt out of reach.

"Do you think perhaps you could point me in the direction of our quarters?" she asked, trying not to be nervous. "I'd like to bring some of my riding gear to my room before the ceremonies begin, but I manged to get lost on my way back from the music room..."

@NightFlame

Users who are viewing this thread

Back