Bad Vibes?

Ecstasyia

11:11
<p>

<span style="font-size:8px;">So, this has happened to me a bunch of times. I find myself looking at a roleplay, thinking its a really good idea. Then I head over to the OOC tab, and guess who I see: A group of people I'm not so fond of. So, would you guys join the roleplay regardless? Or would you slink away and find another one? PLEASE BE KIND A RESPECTFUL TOWARDS OPINIONS.</span>

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
I would personally avoid the RP.

Though I haven't experienced such a thing on this wonderful website, I have on others and I most certainly do not join no matter how much I love the entire concept of the RP and how good the cast of RPer's are. It takes quite a bit for me to hate someone to such a level but when I do, I just avoid them like the plague to avert any future drama and happenings.

In my opinion, there's always other Rp's out there that are just as good or even better hosted and joined by people I like or dislike.

I've actually had this experience somewhat recently. I found a roleplay with an interesting concept from a fandom that I enjoy. I signed up, eager to see where the roleplay would go. I sidled on over to the OoC chat to find...

- OoC roleplaying

- Many anime memes

- Gifs everywhere

- "lol random" humor

- *nosebleeds* (and similar anime tropes)

To clarify, there is absolutely nothing wrong with any of those things. They were all enjoying themselves, and that's the important thing. Not everyone has to be like me and prefer conversing in a more conventional manner. I have no feelings of disrespect for any of these players. They were chatting in a way that made them happy, and I can appreciate that. I'm sure they were all nice people, it just wasn't my scene.

Sometimes you just know that things aren't going to work out. Either the group is people that you dislike, or the other players just aren't the type of person that you'll enjoy playing with. It might seem like you should give them a chance, and maybe if you're on the fence and think that you might change your mind, it could be worth stepping out of your comfort zone. However, if you know right off the bat that it's not gonna work, even if you've already made a character, the best thing to do is to bail. It's much better to drop out before your character becomes an integral part of the plot, and it'll allow them to enjoy their roleplay without having to work around you if you decide in retrospect that it was a bad idea to join.

I usually stay away from roleplay groups that give off bad vibes.

Especially if the GM is a condescending a**hole that takes roleplay way too seriously.

I haven't seen any on this site thus far, and I hope that I never will.

On one particular site, I have faced that problem and it isn't pretty. Sometimes I'll get the courage to ask, but many times I would be ignored or even told to leave. A certain few people chose to dislike me with a strong passion for unknown reasons, and even went to the point of telling a good friend that I'm secretly an arse. They intruded on my safe haven of a land filled with RPs and left me with no one to roleplay with and a sour taste in my mouth.

Sometimes the people hosting RPs were too intimidating. One I remember was harsh with newcomers, but easygoing on people they knew and there was an obvious bias. I really liked many of their ideas, but I wouldn't dare try my luck.

Strict GMs still tend to keep me away from their roleplays, but the ones I've seen here so far have good reason if they were to ask somebody to change something in their CS. That's why I love this site so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean, yeah, this has happened to me before when I liked the idea of a rp but not the players or our personalities just weren't compatible.

Honestly if you clash with someone or know you're going to have problems with them, it's much better to avoid it imo. Better to put no effort into joining an rp than to expend all that effort into rping and fighting with people. Especially if you know you could get into trouble for it.

Sometimes an rp looks really cool but then the way it's executed just isn't my thing. I don't see any problem with backing out if it's not what you expected. It's better to do that than dislike the rp you're in and keep rping for the sake of other people, but then have lower quality or less frequent posts because of your lack of interest. In the end it's better for everyone involved if you didn't force yourself.

I don't really see it as slinking away either. Looking out for yourself and not joining something that would be troublesome feels more like common sense to me :v Afterall, for me rping is just a hobby I'm doing for my enjoyment, and no one else's.

Honestly, not having anyone you want to roleplay with is pretty much the same as not having anyone to roleplay with at all.

I did this a couple times, generally if the RP was worth it I just ignore the OOC and play it out IC as long as I can.

I'll challenge myself and give it a go, I will always fall for good concepts and plots. I will just ignore the OOC part, staying IC most of the time but yeah, from my experience, it ends up with the mods/members getting clique-y and will only roleplay with those who talk with them in OOC. Usually, resulted in me losing interest in a few days and give up.

I hate clique-y RP groups.

Well I guess it would depend on the kind of bad vibes I'm getting. If it's just one person who maybe does a few of my pet peeves I can mostly let it go and just ignore that person in the OOC and go along my merry way.

But if like a majority of the people are cliche-y or seem to incite drama than I hit the back button so quick you think I had super speed.

ApfelSeine said:
- OoC roleplaying

- Many anime memes

- Gifs everywhere

- "lol random" humor

- *nosebleeds* (and similar anime tropes)
These are the things that turn me off. It's hard being an anime roleplayer when majority of them are like that, but I've been slowly moving to other types of roleplays anyway. Something else that turns me off is when there's a group of friends in a roleplay together and you can tell they're ignoring everyone who's not in their clique.

I've rarely seen a rp with a plot so good I have to do it despite me not liking the people/getting bad vibes, so I usually just don't join.

Eesh, that sucks so hard. I hate feeling that way as well...but if you really enjoy the roleplay that much then I'd avoid talking to the certain people OOC. It's just between you, the GM, and the other players besides the ones who cause problems. Try not to let negativity ruin your rp experience dear

:)

But yeah ugh I hate stumbling upon that too. Especially if they are FLOODING the OOC.

Finding/Being in a thread full of annoying people is bad, but the worst feeling is when you realized that you probably made someone feel the exact same way at some point. I doubt anyone would be perfect masters at RP from the get-go, and certainly had plenty of moments of cringe and giving bad vibes. It's good to realize what you've done in the past, to help you move forward and become less cringey, I think. Unfortunately, some people just haven't realized what they're doing yet and probably will in the future. Hopefully. Until then, just tolerate them and let them have their fun. In the meantime, just stay away from them.

I guess a bad experience for me would have to do with timezones in general. Also this one warrior cats forum that just went downhill after a while, but onto the timezone thing. The issue is that, at times i'd get left behind because people would be awake while I would sleep. So yes, I'd ask for recaps and eventually I'd just get more tired of lagging behind and just wished for them to slow down. Do I sound petty for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back