News Backups and Be safe!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dark Wizard

🔥
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
Hey everyone! As you may know already, the southeast U.S. is facing Hurricane Irma over the next several days, possibly followed by Hurricane Jose. We know many of you (and/or your loved ones) are in the threatened area, as are several of us. We’d like to take this time to remind everyone to please stay safe. Get as prepared as you can, and if you have to, evacuate safely ahead of time. You can track the storm at National Hurricane Center, and also keep your (battery-powered) radios tuned to a local station to stay updated with any and all news. A good list of what to do and what not to do can be found at Hurricanes | Ready.gov. (Remember, don’t run generators inside, or near any air intakes!)

I myself have done my best to prepare and stay safe, but if none of you see me for a few days, it is because power and internet got knocked down.

For those of you in Texas, we haven’t forgotten about you. Please take care of yourselves and each other, and we’ll keep thinking of you and doing what we can to help. At least the three currently-active storms aren’t heading your way, right? *crosses fingers*

-Techy Stuff-

The site’s server that we built is actually co-located in a datacenter in downtown Miami near where I live. The Datacenter Facility is actually made with hurricanes and all sorts of natural disasters in mind. It has its own separate power source from the city and all that kind of stuff. But it is still possible for it to be affected and the physical servers to be damaged or for the facility (even with power on) to be disconnected from the outside world if all the internet providers to the facility go offline.

To this end, instead of our regular nightly backup, Ghan Ghan will be backing up the site hourly. In the off chance the Miami Datacenter is disconnected, Ghan will grab the latest hourly backup (so you might lose some posts up to an hour) and bring the site back online in a different part of the United States.

This is most likely not going to happen, but it's better to be safe than sorry!

Thank you for the great work you do, Wiz

Also, everyone stay safe out there c:

Well, As much as I love RpN, I'd rather not lose our precious admins and staff. Stay safe.

Thank you for the great work you do, Wiz

Also, everyone stay safe out there c:

<3

The site will most likely not be affected. We pay for a really great facility. Though it's better to be safe than sorry!

Cheers mates, and all of you in harms way, be safe! Shame I can't come on down and kick the storm right in the sporran, but you have my prayers mates.

<3

The site will most likely not be affected. We pay for a really great facility. Though it's better to be safe than sorry!

Thanks for the kinda words m8. I myself live in southern Florida (not in Miami, but in Lee County), and my family has been worried since Monday how this hurricane will affect us. Now all we can do is wait for this weekend when it makes landfall, but seriously to all in Florida stay safe and take care.

Well, safety first!
Wear your seatbelt and a helmet and make sure that your eye protection is secured tightly in place.
And make sure to be aware of your surroundings!
Prayers to everybody!
Not much comfort, but remember, it should hit as a Category 4, not a Category 5. So what you see right now is worse than what will actually happen.

[Edit: I don't know if this is helpful, but I heard something about how Irma has higher winds, but less rain, as opposed to Harvey, which had more rain and lower winds. So most of the damage will probably come from wind. Still not good though.]

Last edited:
Thanks Wizard, for all you and the admin/staff do! I myself live in Florida, on the East Coast, and am doing what I can to prepare. Good luck everyone, and stay safe!

I've only been on this site for two days and we don't get much hurricane weather here in Illinois. But I have friends in Texas andfamily in Florida(cousins and such) but I'm hoping ALL of you stay safe!

Thanks Wizard, for all you and the admin/staff do! I myself live in Florida, on the East Coast, and am doing what I can to prepare. Good luck everyone, and stay safe!

I may just be a complete stranger but shoot, I'm hoping you and your friends/family come out of this without a scratch! You're an asset to this community and I hope you'll be ok!

As everyone said, much love to everyone affected and their families. We can only hold tight and hope the damage isn't too great, but please remember to be cautious for those who are in the area. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Stay safe love and anyone else in the areas that have been recently affected by these Hurricanes!

As long as I have my prtable chargers for my phone, I'll live...

wait... I live halfway across the world... Welp, really glad the servers won't die. Really great work, Black Mag---

hang on... what have you done with The Real Dark Wizard?! D :

Thanks for this heads-up! Stay safe, everyone!

We can replace posts, material possessions, and houses, but lives are priceless, irreplaceable things! Protect what matters most! Lives>Stuff

Good luck and Godspeed to all affected by these terrible, terrible hurricanes. I myself have relatives in Florida that are evacuating at the moment.

I may just be a complete stranger but shoot, I'm hoping you and your friends/family come out of this without a scratch! You're an asset to this community and I hope you'll be ok!

Thank you so much! That means a lot (: Here's hoping Irma (and Jose later on) loses steam and everyone makes it out safely, absolutely spotless.

Best of luck you guys and don't loose hope. When the storm hit here in Houston many people came together to help hold everything together.

I'm confident that it will be the story in Florida as well. My prayers are with you all, and together you all can overcome this. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back