• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern ━━━━ // b e l e a g u e r [♕]

Vesuvius

‘ —◆— so cry me a river of gold ”
1 x 1 roleplay between vesuvius & chromquistador

Beleaguer
|

muse a and muse b are childhood friends, their mothers being close friends in school. muse a is the class clown - almost everything they do is done for the sake of amusement, be it for them or others, and they just don't seem to know where to stop. muse b is much more by-the-book, acting as a voice of moderation for muse a on their more dangerous escapedes. due to their more mild and agreeable nature, muse b is well liked around the campus, but they are truly inseparable from muse a. A new term has started, and muse be has less time on their hands, but muse a is just as insistent that muse b tags along with their adventures, and a crack begins to form between the two. will they manage to patch things up, or will their friendship fall apart?

Last edited:
meredith vane || nineteen || female || campus grounds

QMb6P1s.png
wake up
look me in the eyes again

It was the first weekend since the semester started, and boy was Meredith ready for it. Not that her first few days were not interesting, in fact, they were anything but, however, Merry was never a hard worker, and there was very little time to get used to the more intense schedule of the university.

She’d figured she was due a rest about now. Perhaps this morning off, and then she would take the afternoon to catch up on her courses. Not that there was any compulsory homework, but…

She had done some further research about university life before, in high school, but she was still surprised at how lax the curriculum was. Nothing compulsory, but not handing in homework would be a big black mark on your grades. She wasn’t completely convinced she liked it. She was a creature of freedom, but there needed to be some rules, some regulation in life.

Her courses were fine, the lectures easily understood, and no one cared if she slacked off a little. Of course, she was expected to catch up in her own time, and the workload would eventually increase, if she didn't want to fall behind.

At the very least, today, she was free, from both school and what little restraint that served as her conscience. Probably one of the last few times she’d have such an opportunity. The campus was not an ideal place to wander, despite its large size, but it would do for now. The university was not without its merits, and she would have been admiring the scenery, if it wasn'r all so mind-numblingly boring. Instead, as she wandered, she focused on the meagre few people around the campus, idly observing their actions out of the corner of her eye.

Note that, of course, she wasn't lost. Just wandering, for a little while, until better hours. The campus library was around here somewhere, and she would be able to meet up with her childhood friend there, as they'd arranged, and then she would be able to properly explore the town. Right now, however, she was uncertain if he'd arrived yet, and she despised waiting. Which was why she was walking around in no particular direction. Yup.

It was still the early morning, and few people were around, in pairs or groups, walking towards a specific destination or strolling around like her, some with breakfast in hand. She felt a slight pang of hunger as she saw. Perhaps she should indeed have eaten more for breakfast. Of course, the reason she had eaten so little was so she could have a good breakfast in town, but that didn't stop her hunger now.

If only she could find Sampson, though of course she wasn't in too much of a hurry. She could do with finding the library first - which seemed to be just there. She breathed a sigh of relief - not that she was lost or anything - and increased her stride to reach the entrance more quickly. Well, now she would see if her friend was here already.

Last edited:
SAMPSON SMITH
kawaii-shy-anime-boy.jpg
Ugh.......college. Even though it had been Sampson's plan since day one of Freshman year of high school to attend, he had to admit; he felt like it really sucked sometimes. He had been put into a dorm, thankfully, by himself, but the rest of his floor apparently decided that every night for the past week was party night. Sleep had become a rare thing for poor Sampson these last few days, especially with all the work from his classes piling on. He couldn't really complain; the classes he signed up for were considered advanced. But did they really need this much paper for their homework!? You could fill an encyclopedia with the amount of work they were given!

But still, Sampson's alarm went off like usual, and he got up at six thirty and hopped into the floors shower before anyone else could. He had gotten a text from Meredith saying she wanted to meet up today, which Sampson was truly grateful for. Meredith was pretty much the only real friend Sampson had around campus, and he never truly realized just how much he relied on her to get him to do actual things outside of school. He took his time in the shower, letting the warm water run over him before he finally had his fill and returned to his room. He put on his freshly washed red tee and winter coat, and threw his jeans and shoes on.

Sampson took his glasses from his desk and quickly put them on, making sure they weren't fogged up. He made his way out of his dorm and across the campus towards the library. His walk there was undoubtedly faster than Meredith; Sampson didn't stop to observe everything like she did. He much preferred arriving at his destination with as much time as he could spare. Entering the large single building that was the library, Sampson was unsurprised to see it with few people. With winter rolling around, it wasn't unusual for most students to simply do their studying in their dorm room. Meredith was nowhere in sight; he had undoubtedly arrived earlier than she did. That, too, was unsurprising; Sampson was usually more of an early bird than she. He made his way towards the back of the library, towards where the comics were, and began to browse through them. Well, technically they were called 'manga', a type of Japanese comic - but Sampson usually couldn't be bothered to tell people the difference. His hands glided across the backs of them as he searched for a particular one...

Last edited:
meredith vane || nineteen || female || campus library

QMb6P1s.png
wake up

Stepping inside the automatic doors of the campus library, she was greeted with a warm blast of air, delightfully welcoming after the biting cold. She took some time to just look around, admiring the large library. She'd probably have to come here often in the next few years. She probably should have visited earlier than this, to be honest, but she never found the time or an excuse to visit. There was almost always something more interesting to do compared to shutting herself inside the library surrounded by books probably older than her.

Her interest in the scenery spent, she began wandering around, looking for her friend. There were only a few places he could be, and she knew his interests. Unfortunately, she wasn't tall enough to look over the shelves - enough of them reached the ceiling that it didn't matter - to see her friend. She would have to make her way around using the ancient method of asking for directions form the librarians.

She was immediately pointed towards a directory, and spent some time memorizing the basics of the small map, before heading out to explore the library, humming slightly off tune. Sampson wasn't at the first place she looked, but was at the back of the library, amidst a pile of what looked like comic books. The second she saw him, she swerved to the side, attempting to inconspicuously approach the boy from the back. She slowed down the pace, attempting to seem like just another avid reader visiting the library.

She circled towards the back of her friend, deliberately assuming a sneaking pose, to reach up and tap the boy on the head. Whether she succeeded or not, she would swerve to the side to avoid any potential retaliation, grinning widely from ear to ear. She had been friends with Sampson for longer than she could remember, and she rarely missed a chance to irritate an reaction out of the boy, all for fun, of course, with no ill will directed at anyone.

"Boop. Found you." She laughed, casually picking up a comic from a nearby shelf. "What is our resident genius doing reading comics?" Her eyes seemed to be on the book she picked up as she flicked through its pages, but a continuous twitch of the corner of her mouth betrayed her amusement as she waited for a reaction from Sampson.

SAMPSON SMITH
kawaii-shy-anime-boy.jpg

Sampsons hands paused as he, surprisingly, found the book he was looking for. He gently pulled it from its shelf with a curious look. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders, huh? He had heard about it from a couple of friends, but had never had the chance to take a look at it himself. Apparently it was popular enough to warrant a tv show as well, which Sampson had taken a liking to. He figured he might as well take a look at where it started first though. He opened it up and let his eyes scan the illustrations...

But then, he felt a force from behind him. It felt...familiar. Then there was a tapping on his head; her signature move. His hand shot up to his hair, but alas, he was but a moment too late, and he grasped only at air. Frustration filled him, and he turned to face his walking annoyance, but she was not there. She spoke up next to him out of his view, and he jumped a little at her voice. He sighed as he shook his head and gave her an annoyed look.
"Manga, Meredith, not comics. And I'm no genius, either; though you're certainly no Einstein yourself."
He straightened his coat in frustration before closing the manga he was holding. He detested how Meredith always seemed to insist on irritating him in this way, and she had done it for years. He figured she would grow out of it when she got to high school; But no, she still acted like they were both in fourth grade, when she still had some height over him. Ah, fourth grade....those were the days- when he didn't have to write reports every other day.

He sighed as he looked over to Meredith once again, crossing his arms.
"Still....its nice to see a familiar face. I'm glad there's at least one person I recognize around here. I feel like I see more paper than people these days. What about you? Keeping up with the rest, I hope?"

Attachments

• kawaii-shy-anime-boy.jpg
    kawaii-shy-anime-boy.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 0

QMb6P1s.png
wake up

She chuckled lightly, leaving the book on a nearby shelf - most likely not the right shelf, and perched on the edge of a table. After all these years, she could almost predict the reactions of her friend - although it didn't make it any less hilarious. The small joys in life were what counted the most.

"Aww, are we arguing over semantics again?" She countered, a sweet smile on her face. "Such a very useful part of life, I'm sure." She cast a glance at the book her friend had been reading. Nothing she recognized, as she had expected. When was the last time she had properly read a book, even a comic?

"I've been just peachy during the past few days." She chirped, eyes bright. There really wasn't much to say besides that. Classes were still starting, and had yet to pick up the pace. The fact that she was also minoring in economics made things just a little busier, but not by much. Besides, her major and minor complemented each other pretty well. However much homework she had, she couldn't imagine burying herself in her work, without any socializing at all. She couldn't imagine how Sampson coped.

"I met a lot of new people, but... really? You don't know anyone else? I'd think Uni would be a great time to make some friends."

So she maybe could have spent a little more time studying, but it was all for a good cause! She was a person that went through life with the aid of her friends; the more connections she had, the better. Sampson was doubtlessly still her closest friend, however.

"Wait, no, I know why. You've been working far too hard."

Sampson looked like he needed a break more than she did, and she wasn't sure he'd have gone to town if she hadn't decided for the two of them. Honestly, school had just started. If there ever was a time to slack off for a bit, it was now, when they were all newly freed from the cruel grasps of-

She remembered why she hadn't become a poet. Her attempts at eloquent speech were terrible.

Either way, not the most important issue at hand right now.

"Tell me when you've finished the comic, and we'll head out, genius."

SAMPSON SMITH
kawaii-shy-anime-boy.jpg
Sampson rolled his eyes at her little quips. "I would argue that being able to argue a point is useful in life, so....yes."
The comments like these were usually just to get him even more annoyed. He was unsure why she delighted in teasing him so. He should have taught not to do this at a younger age; maybe then it would have registered. The thought took him back to the times when he and Meredith were younger; much simpler times, with Meredith easily being the most excitable kid in school and Sampson trailing along behind her, apologizing for the messes she would make. He chuckled slightly at the thought, but quickly caught himself; there was no need for Meredith to know he was thinking of the past. For all he knew, she might just call him melancholy and give him a speech about looking ahead to the future, and he had already heard speeches like that plenty of times from Meredith already.
"I'm...glad to hear you're adjusting well. To be honest, I thought all the responsibility would go right to your head, and you'd start panicking like you do when we did book reports back in high school and you always waited the night before it was due to even open the book. Heh. Good times."

Perhaps Sampson was thinking of the past too often; but his old life just really had too many enjoyable moments for him to not. Adulthood was both a frightening and humbling thing, and because he wasn't quite there yet at being a full adult, he wanted to enjoy all the time he had as a kid. Her disbelief about the friends thing threw him off for a second though, and he shifted awkwardly, not looking her in the eye.
"C'mon, you know how I am, Merry. Other people......ugh, it's always a chore meeting someone new. Plus you know how shy I can get, not to mention that I'm almost always buried up to my neck in homework for some reason."
He scratched the back of his head awkwardly. He wasn't sure why, but he didn't like it when people criticized his social abilities. He's had at least one friend for years now! That has to count for something, right?

Unfortunately for Sampson, Meredith seemed to finger the core of the problem rather easily; Sampson was always working. He scoffed, crossing his arms as he did so. "Of course I'm busy working. I can't afford to be slacking in my studies right now. If you ask me, my entire future is worth sacrificing a few human interactions for."
And that was true, at least for Sampson. If he was ever going to fulfill his dream of becoming a great architect, he couldn't afford such distractions such as that. Speaking of which...

He carefully set his manga back into place and gave it a pat for security; he'd come back and check it out later. He turned to Meredith with a rather serious look; normal for Sampson, but he couldn't say the same for Meredith.
"I told you, they're called Mang- ugh, nevermind. Are you sure we should even be fooling around? Why don't we do something productive, like....make flashcards of the subjects of our classes and quiz each other on them? Don't even need to go outside for that."

QMb6P1s.png
wake up

She narrowed her eyes at Sampson’s replies. A little bit of banter between the two friends was always interesting to her, and she would have to answer carefully. It wasn’t her goal to win, but that didn’t mean she was going to let any comment slide past so easily. Occasionally, she might even get a laugh out of the stoic boy, though she supposed she irritated the boy as many times as she amused him.

“You would argue… That arguing… is useful.” She stated slowly, one eyebrow raised.

The statement wasn’t wrong, exactly, but the odd juxtaposition of sentenced was one of the few things she could nitpick at. She wasn’t as sharp in the mornings, especially after a long night yesterday, attempting to keep ahead of her work before she headed out today. She wasn’t a person who would usually voluntarily complete her work, as Sampson had said, but she wasn’t lazy, and understood the benefits of completing her work ahead of time. That didn’t stop her from occasionally forgetting, however.

“Oh, c’mon. That was one time. Maybe two. Three at most.” She protested, eyes wide open as if to signify her innocence. “You can’t hold that against me forever!”

She was an reformed person, honestly. She would never panic about something as small as assignments anymore. Besides, there wasn’t anything to panic about when classes were barely compulsory. Unless, of course, you were someone like Sampson, who can manage to fret about homework after a week of school. Sure, she had a pile of homework waiting for her when she go back from the outing, but she wasn’t worried, was she? She had ages before anything was due. Almost four days until the next task was due, and she had finished it already. Almost. And then there were two more days until the next bit of homework. She would get started on that today. Or maybe tomorrow.

She was just the busiest little student, wasn’t she? She definitely deserved a rest today. Speaking of which…

“You always know how to pick the last thing I want, Sam.” She didn’t even think they shared any classes. Speaking of which, what classes did she have on yesterday…? No matter. If she thought she could have pulled off puppy-dog eyes, she would have directed them at Sampson. Trust him to almost take the fun out of a whole day. Unacceptable.

“You should learn to enjoy rare days of relaxation such as these.”

She stood up abruptly, completely ignoring the serious look Sampson gave her. Really, did the boy have no sense of fun? She flashed a smile her friend, hoping he’d show some enthusiasm too.

“Besides, you know, life isn’t always about studying. You need connections to do well in life as well.”

That was her own motto, of sorts. Mostly, she’d take any excuse to not do work. But it was fully true, of course. Maybe even doubly so for Sampson, whose awkwardness in social situations hindered other’s knowledge of his abilities. He needed to be known by others.

“We are definitely not staying here. Tell me when you’re ready to leave, will you?”

SAMPSON SMITH
kawaii-shy-anime-boy.jpg
Sampson's face did not change at her reply.
"Yes, arguing is useful. Haven't you watched a single episode of Law and Order? Or perhaps even heard of a lawyer? They make a living out of arguing. Learning how to better craft your speech so that your words have more impact is essential. And you would know that if you had ever participated in the vocabulary quizzes I made during middle school."
A slight grin made its way onto his face here. Meredith might like to argue sometimes, but Sampson knew his expansive registry of words could usually confuse her enough to back down when things got too heated. It's one thing he actually appreciated about her; it was a weakness she refused to work on, and make Sampson's job of cooling her jets all the more simple.

But then he chuckled. Oh, poor Merry; she didn't quite understand how petty Sampson could be with mistakes made in their youth. He wasn't quite sure why, but he always got a kick out of it whenever he made a point that referenced back to something Meredith did in their childhood.
"As I recall, it was along the lines of eight. Ms. Biggs wasn't your biggest fan that year, either. Heheh. And as long as it's relevant, I don't see why I can't bring it up. Keheheh."
His short bursts of laughter were slow and quiet; Sampson never quite did like his own laugh. His laugh always sounded like someone clearing their throat after a nasty fit of coughs. He would have much preferred something like....well, Merediths. Sure, her face scrunched up some while doing it and there was the occasional snort here and there, but her laughs were always so....full. Pleasing to the ear, if he had to describe it.

Wait, why was he thinking about that? He was in the middle of a conversation! He shook himself out of his reverie and directed his attention back to Meredith, who was currently scolding him for his idea of flashcards, telling him that he always picked the last thing she wanted. His eyebrows furrowed and an annoyed look crawled onto his face.
"Flashcards are a fun activity! It's not my fault you separate productivity and recreation."
She continued on, now chastising him on not knowing the value of days of relaxation. Sampson gave his eyes a hard roll at this.
"Pffft. I recognize those types of days just fine, thank you very much..."
It was almost like he was pouting at this point. Meredith continued to splurge on about how life isn't about studying and how you need real connections and....blegh. Honestly, some of the stuff Meredith said sometimes sounded like it came right out of a sappy novel.
"I'll have no need for real life connections if everything goes according to plan. I'll already be working in an architecture firm and will soon be on my way to designing my very own buildings if everything goes right. I'll have the results I need to impress anyone I apply for."

He raised his chin up some subconsciously, as if his plan was foolproof. But given all the thought he had put into it, he would most likely not be convinced otherwise. But still, Merediths plea to not stay inside and do flashcards rang clearly in his ears, and he felt a twinge of guilt. A little part at the back of his mind spoke up and told him 'She's your best friend, Sampson. You owe her some free time, don't you think?' Sampson begrudgingly agreed; Meredith and he had been friends through thick and thin, and he was almost always preventing her from doing what she wanted. For a few hours at least, he could be a little more lenient.
"......tch. Alright, fine. We can....go see the town or whatever it is you want to do. But only for a few hours, got it!?"
He turned away from her and crossed his arms, signifying both his want not to go out but still acknowledging his friend's wishes. He began walking to the front door of the library, not pausing for Meredith.
"Come on, then. The sun doesn't stay out as long during the winter."

QMb6P1s.png
wake up

She scrunched her face up in an exaggerated fashion, as if she had smelled something bad. Trust Sampson to take an argument so seriously. She was just as fond as anyone was with the occasional good-willed exchange of points of views, but to talk of lawyers was, well, taking it too far, was it not? The boy didn’t enjoy talking as much as Meredith did, and it was difficult to remember that he was capable of an argument sometimes.

“Oh, hush.” She muttered, flapping an hand at the boy as if to dismiss his idea as a bad smell. “Lawyers are the first, only, and last ones to need fancy word-juggling, and you ought to know that.” Normal people only needed to comprehend and understand, not necessarily utilise. More importantly, though not something she was going to ask the boy, how did they manage to get to talking about lawyers when they had started with manga?

“And of course, as you know with my grades, I couldn’t be a lawyer if I wanted to.” Wordplay was occasionally interesting, but to do it in an professional manner, without any of the rudeness and playfulness she incorporated into her everyday speech would be difficult, not to mention boring. “I promise you, any animosity Miss Biggs felt towards me was mutual.” Not only was it the missed assignments, but she was just a terrible teacher in the first place.

Study was not particularly interesting for her, as it was for Sampson. “Excuse you, but connects are definitely important.” For example, work experience opportunities, recommendations for a first job. Or- at least it was important for her, if she wanted to do well in economics. She could always coast by with her parent’s help, but that would just be sad.

“Just because you know what relaxation is doesn’t mean you know how to relax.” She muttered, stretching.

She didn’t particularly want to irritate her friend, but she didn’t want to miss her holiday – what kind of person misses a holiday? The kind of person that makes flashcard for fun, she guessed. If the boy was willing to go, she would totally jump at the opportunity, but even if he didn’t go, she would go alone. It was fun having Sampson as a person to bounce ideas around with, but secondary to going out and exploring a town she had never been to before.

“Well then-“ She started, just as Sampson agreed to go with her. She straightened, mouth wide in a grin.

“Finally!” She crowed, racing to catch up with the boy, then almost skipping ahead. As Sampson had said, the days were short, and she wanted to get a head start on window-shopping.

“Of course we’re only staying a few hours,” She called back to the boy, not even turning her head as she gleefully sprang forward. “There’s not enough interesting stuff around this place.”

She could save a bit of exploration for later weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back