• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Azae - A World At War (IC Started But Still Recruiting)

King Ad Rock

Abednego
Roleplay Availability
Still Accepting Applications!

What's up everybody! It's the King Ad-Rock, that is my name and I been puttin' in work in this role-playing game...

I'm brand new to this site after coming out of retirement and seeing several of my old favorite sites have, unfortunately, lost big chunks of their active members. But with a little bit of googling, I was able to find this magnificently active/huge place and am happy with what I am seeing. I will be bringing a friend from one of my old stomping grounds to help me co-run the RP if we get any interest and get it off the ground. We will also be looking for a director in the RP (someone experienced in writing and role-playing who will be privy to plot information and be able to make decisions when we cannot be reached for more than 24 hours).

After reading through the FAQ, I wasn't too sure if this type of thread was better fitted for either Fantasy or Nation-building as the story will be being told in several nations at once. I went with what seemed like the safer of the two options. If anybody thinks it would work better over there, let me know!

Now for my idea, it's pretty much a type of Galactus/Silver Surfer meets Game of Throne/Berserk. Now let me try to explain that and make sense of it. The story is set in somewhat realistic medieval fantasy world, but please be as creative or as colorful as you want with your characters. Here is a little copy/paste background from when I have tried this RP in the past:

Worldatwar_zps6b324d85.jpg

Azae

A World At War

On the planet of Azae, a quiet peace has reigned over the beautiful, colossal continent of Zeldwa for just a few short years. Zeldwa, which covers over half of the planet's surface and is home to the vast majority of the planet's population, is split into five nations:

Kildra, the oldest and largest of the nations, spans over the entire North West corner of Zeldwa. Once, most of Zeldwa was under Kildran rule, until the infamous First Kildran Civil War, where two noble families took a stand against the slave-trade and the current monarchy, splitting the nation in half and creating the Queendom of Roadalia.

Kildra didn't have to wait long for their Second Kildran Civil war in which the people who were born into slavery finally revolted against their oppressors after a hundred of years of extreme labor and abuse. The war, which remained even in it's entirety, lasted a little over a decade and resulted in the then Kildran King, Gillian II, to split Kildra in half again and relinquish the Southern half over to the newly freed slaves. The slaves set up a new nation under a semi-democratic government called, Libertia. Slavery was finally abolished throughout Zeldwa.

Libertia didn't last longer than a hundred years until the nation was split between two political parties, the Lindors and the Soovs. The Lindors were still hateful and bitter over their slavery, and demanded that the nation practice a mindset of closed borders. The Soovs had more of a 'forgive and forget' mentality and wanted to start their live anew. When the soon to be famous Soov, Zelsi Wintso, was elected as the new leader of the council many Lindor leaders were enraged. It wasn't long until Libertia was in a state of civil war itself. Kildra, still bitter over Libertia's secession, resolved to remain neutral throughout the conflict as did Roadalia. After just a few years of bloodshed in the streets of Libertia, Zelsi and the council decided to make the same decision King Gillian II had made years before them. They agreed to split Libertia between East and West. The Lindors and their followers took the Western half, South of Kildra and created the militaristic nation of Indoria.

Indorians still craved retribution against Kildra, and now have a booming economy, plus a strong, dedicated, and well-trained army.

Not much is currently known about Roadalia since their construction of large walls around their border, other than it must still be run by the mad Queen Gayana.

The T'Odis Empire and The Fishing Nation of Parshum have finally ended their decades long war that started over a single conflict. The youngest members of each ruling family have married each other as a sign of peace. But not all is well behind closed doors.

A fragile peace remained between these six nations for just a few years...

Until...

Annihilation, Ragnarok, The Apocalypse, Destroyer of Planets, Consumer of Souls, and Bringer of Destruction. Engriact has been known by many names to the people of many planets before he terminated them. An advanced being, consciousness, or entity that travels the cosmos; feeding on the force or energy that breaths life into a planet and it's inhabitants. Some advanced civilizations knew of it's coming beforehand, but were powerless to stop it. Most did not have a clue until the very end.

The Heralds of Death are four immortal beings who serve Engriact, and three of which travel to the planets beforehand to prepare them for it's arrival. When the majority of creatures on a planet die within a close proximity, the planet fills with their life-force (some view this as their souls). This is the only time when Engriact can feed on the planet. It is the Heralds' job to enure that in some way, shape, or form this happens.

Shala is drawn to the remnants of war on Azae. Her love of manipulating lesser beings draws her to the idea of sparking a full-scale war all over Zeldwa using her telepathy and shape-shifting abilities that her race once possessed . She decides to visit the leaders of each nation...

Garnerge has always had an insatiable blood-lust, belonging to a race of monstrous, warring behemoths. His only wants are to end life with his bare hands, and to taste the flesh of those who fear him. He accomplishes this by retaining his incredible size and strength while destroying and consuming anything in his path.

Cornelius was a genius weapon inventor from a planet lost to Engriact centuries ago. Building a weapon that was actually able to damage the celestial being, Engriact granted him the curse of immortal life and servitude becoming a Herald of Death. Cornelius retains his knowledge in weaponry and uses it help nations advance to a quick holocaust.

Ezra, or The Voice of Engriact, never leaves his master's side. Being the oldest and most enigmatic of the Heralds, he is rarely seen by the other three. Ezra is the only Herald capable of comprehending Engriact's will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! Dirk, your co-GM here making my introduction post. I'll be running everything with KingAdrock and taking any questions you may have so feel free to ask away. I'm brand new to this site as well, but am pretty well experienced in role playing. I want to go over several themes that will be explored in the thread to give anyone interested a general idea of what to expect.

As Adrock said before, our story is heavily influenced by Game of Thrones (both the books and the series) so expect there to be plenty of political intrigue. We are currently working on a long an complicated history between the six countries of Azae to explain how they currently arrived at their peaceful states from once being nomadic tribees hundreds of years ago. The anime Beserk was also mentioned because a currently disbanded mercenary group plays a significant role in shaping the history of one of our kingdoms.

We will also be exploring some mature themes as well such as racism, religion, fanaticism, alcoholism, betrayal, death, PTSD, the effects of war, and failed parentage. These will all be running themes that constantly pop up and shape our narrative. If you have any questions feel free to let them fly or even DM me or KingAdrock.

Character Sheet

Name: Vance D’Enishora

Race: T’Odis

Weapon of Choice: His double-edged long sword “Khione”, always sheathed at his side. It’s a long thin blade with a thick golden cross-guard and spade shaped pommel.

Personality: Many outside the Lawful Lands of T’Odis could describe Vance as cold and humorless, but he shares the same temperament as most T’Odis Justice Horde soldiers. He is a man of keen focus and determination and a firm believer in his own moral code. His peers describe him as quiet and intimidating, but those closest to him would rave about his kindness and patience. He always thinks before he speaks. He is well read and fluent in the Kildran Common Words, T’Odis, and even old Parshumese. A lover of fine wine and poetry, Vance is also a gifted dancer, exceling in the Waltz classes all Justice Horde trainees must take.

Description:​
Cameron.jpg

Vance is the epitome of the T’Odis race. His thin, stern, and focused gray/blue eyes are made ever more prominent by his thin face and frost white skin. His golden hued white hair and long and layered. Cut just above the shoulder, it resembles almost that of a lion’s mane. At 6’6”, with a slim frame and a medium build, he has a very stoic posture. With his chin up and his shoulders back, his militaristic background is always obvious. He walks with purpose. Often seen resting his left hand on the hilt of his blade, always at ready.

Background: One of the many children left orphaned due to the violence in the Lawless Lands of T’Odis, Vance was taken in to the justice horde training academy at the age of nine. Showing exceptional aptitude at combat, language, and T’Odis Law, Vance flew to the top of his class. After his graduation at twenty-two, the instructors felt it was in his best interest to be placed under the most effective Justice Horde Captain in T’Odis’ history, Xhane M’Iam. Vance served under Xhane for a contentious yet successful decade, until things came to head when a lone surviving but severely injured member of Vance and Xhane’s Justice Horde came back from a mission claiming Vance was accused of not allowing a culprit to submit peacefully. When confronted by the rest of the Horde, Vance was accused of slaying them all, including Xhane. The surviving member claimed Vance then fled and believes he is on his way to the T’Odis Gate to escape the country. Several Justice Hordes have been sent out to capture him, with the Duke, Kart G’Orm claiming Xhane’s defeat only frees Vance from one murder, not the other seven.

Races: 65% Kildran, 25% Nomasdae, 9% Kildran-Nomasdae mix, Less than 1% Other (Parshumian, T'Odis, other mixes)

Religion(s): Religion of Azae(All interpretations), The Worship of Anahit, some Devotion to the White Being temples, & the first Sea God Vavos temple has recently been constructed at the port city of Yensa.

Capital:

LeSoraAmari said:
I've got my characters faceclaim sorted already.
@LeSoraAmari

That's a great picture. She actually looks and is dressed exactly like what I pictured the Holy Knights of Azae to look like. The Holy Knights of Azae are a special elite group of knights in Roadalia that protect and enact the Queen's will.

I should also let people know that race plays a major role in this story as well. If you plan on having your character look exactly like that she would have to be of pure Kildran descent (but she could still live in Roadalia as Roadalia is the most mixed race nation) When I get the history up someday it will all make sense. Here's an idea of what the races looks like based off our own real world races.

T'Odis: Albino-like. Extremely fair complexion with snowy white hair and mostly blue, almost white eyes. Rarely they can have black hair.

Nomasdae (Roadalia, Libertia, and Indoria): Middle Eastern, Hispanic, & African. Dark brown and black hair.

Kildran: Anglo-Saxon. Red, Blonde,Dark Brown/Brown hair.

Parshumian: Asian. Dark Brown/Brown/Black hair.

LeSoraAmari said:
In the briefest way possible:
She is kind, intelligent, prideful (but not egotistical), protective and very vigilant.

I'm thinking of playing her on a lawful good/neutral good morality kind of thing.
@LeSoraAmari

If you made her a Holy Knight of Azae she would have to be devoutly religious to the official religion of Roadalia, the Religion of Azae. I'll get more into the different religions in the world later on, but something to consider if you want her to be religious at all. It would be interesting to see a character like her handle watching the fall of her nation at the hands of an insane monarch twisting her religion. I also plan on creating a cold and cruel NPC as the current leader of the Holy Knights of Azae that could act as her Antagonist of sorts.

KingAdrock said:
@LeSoraAmari Also, thanks so much for the help.
Are there certain types of Medieval weaponry and battle styles certain races might use? Like typical Broadsword/Armour for Holy knights, and maybe a more tribal Spear/Bow combination for a less civilised race?

LeSoraAmari said:
Holy as in it can shine a bright yellow, a 'burning light that purges the darkness' if you will. When activated the blade would glow a golden colour.
Perhaps the blade could focus the energy into a certain point and release it in a form of a slash?
I absolutely hate stifling creativity, but I'd have to put the kibosh on that. Combat in this RP will be mostly realistically done with a little bit of a martial arts movie flare to it (Want your character to flip around, be acrobatic, or run up a wall? Go for it.)

Would it help to have it just be blessed? In fact I actually have a great idea. Send me a PM when you can.

KingAdrock said:
I absolutely hate stifling creativity, but I'd have to put the kibosh on that. Combat in this RP will be mostly realistically done with a little bit of a martial arts movie flare to it (Want your character to flip around, be acrobatic, or run up a wall? Go for it.)
Would it help to have it just be blessed? In fact I actually have a great idea. Send me a PM when you can.
I like the kibosh~

I'll send you a PM in a moment :3

Zuka said:
Are there certain types of Medieval weaponry and battle styles certain races might use? Like typical Broadsword/Armour for Holy knights, and maybe a more tribal Spear/Bow combination for a less civilised race?
Exactly. In fact it also depends on what region of the continent they are from. For example the nation of Indoria is covered almost 75% in desert. The capitol is located by the sea and is much cooler so you will find the knights in that city to be much more armor clad and covered then their desert posted counterparts.

[QUOTE="Robyn Banks]Hello! This rp looks very interesting. Are there any spots left?

[/QUOTE]
Yes! Anyone who posts with accepted character ideas will be reserved a spot. My co-GM and I are working on a character sheet to help out with that.

With low level mythology are we doing magic in a small way? Or is it more weapons and projectiles.

Flowiest said:
With low level mythology are we doing magic in a small way? Or is it more weapons and projectiles.
Nobody has the ability to perform any type of magic. Combat will be realistic with a martial arts movie style of flare. Your character could be a meticulous swordsman/knight or an acrobatic assassin. A burly axeman or a lithe hunter/bowman. Things of that nature.

Flowiest said:
Once general character sheets are posted tag me and I'll try a drapht
You betcha. My Co GM is about 2/3 done with his character sheet and when he gets it posted everyone who's interested will get a tag.

We also have a historical time line coming that some may want to wait for so they can weave their characters around it. If you have any questions about the world history you want answered beforehand, don't hesitate to ask.

Flowiest said:
Can i be a semi important theif/assassin relevent to something?
That can work. There's the Lawless Lands of T'Odis where there are no laws and people must fend for themselves. The cities furthest from Kildra are also plagued with crime so there would be quite a few thieves/cutthroats there as well although they'd have to possible deal with town guard. Roadalia also has a rising crime rate in response to the insane Queens policies. You could also be a thief from Parshum, Libertia, or even Indoria. Many choices.

Hello,

This sounds very interesting!

Can I play a young Noble who is trying to protect some smaller remote villages in Kildra and created that way some kind of smaller duchy?

I really want in on this! I love nation building and political espionage. Game of Thrones is one of my favorite series, and I am up to date on Berserk as well. Indoria was particularity interesting to me. They seem to offer a lot of contention that will most likely end in destruction. But who knows? Maybe it's not so bad having one's soul eaten by a galactic demon.

One question. Will we primarily be role playing as one character or will we be in control of entire armies through our character?

noremac said:
I really want in on this! I love nation building and political espionage. Game of Thrones is one of my favorite series, and I am up to date on Berserk as well. Indoria was particularity interesting to me. They seem to offer a lot of contention that will most likely end in destruction. But who knows? Maybe it's not so bad having one's soul eaten by a galactic demon.
One question. Will we primarily be role playing as one character or will we be in control of entire armies through our character?
I'm jealous. I've only ever seen the original 90s series of beserk but it has always stayed with me. The characters and setting were always my favorite. I realize they're continuing the series soon and can say I'm very excited.

Oh my friend, you couldn't be more right about Indoria. Even their creation is full of devestating lies and secrets. Just wait until I get decent description for them up and the historical time line to explain how they got to where they are today.

As for your question, there's nothing barring you from creating a character in one of the many armies, thus having control over other knights/soldiers. What I haven't got into yet that I think people will really like are the "T'Odis Justice Hordes". They are groups of 9 individual incredibly skilled T'Odis swordsmen who hunt down and bring to justice anyone who is found to have broken a law in the "Lawful Lands" regardless of what country the criminal flees to. They WILL cross nation borders and they WILL catch their man

Savagai said:
Just like Luxembourg is, not a land with a queen or kind but a Duke. Having is own set of rules, his own system of Justice but falling under a greater land, still actually ruling it.
Yes, something like this could work. I'll edit it in later today, but many of the wealthiest noble families in Kildra act as sort of Mayors/governors in their respective cities. Queen Suzane ruling and the changes she has made to their way of life is a point of contention for many of them. Would it interest you to be from one of their families?

Jabroni said:
You don't suppose there are distinct naming conventions for each nation do you? I'm just trying to get an idea of what my character will be called, and if there are any formats I should consider!
I have a little guideline in my head. Kildrans tend to have a medieval European sounding names. The Nomasdae people also share naming styles with Hildren (because of slavery and slaves being named by Kildrans) Many Nomasdae changed their last names to ones with more vowels to try to have a resemblance of their ancient people (e.g. Corgoso, Ana, Parata) but not all have. The T'Odis people have their own language (I'll get into that eventually). The only rules I've used for them is they do not have the letter "C" and they like the letter "X" in their names and use apostrophes after the first consonant and before a vowel (capitalizing the vowel) of a proper noun (e.g. T'Odis, L'Aorn). For the Parshumians I have been using traditional Thai names.

noremac said:
So, can I take the role of King Corgoso or are the leaders going to be played the GMs? I'm also wondering how the plot will be developed with such a widespred area?
You CAN take the role of King Corgoso, BUT understand this will mean having to be somewhat dictated by the GMs so to follow the basic plot, and would have to have plot points possibly spoiled in order to understand what is going on. It would also be encouraged to play a secondary character, one who would be more likely to travel and meet others in the RP, and this would only be encouraged if the participant feels like they can handle such a responsibility.

As for your second question, players will not be allowed to start in T'Odis or Parshum (although they can play these races) as we will not get to these countries until much further down the line in the story. From there players can choose where they want their characters to start, but are encouraged to figure out creative ways to get out there to meet and interact with other players.

We have 4 Heralds to deal with. Two are already on the planet, and a third is just arriving as our RP starts. As they are causing a havoc and possibly interacting with our characters, it'll be become apparent to some that something much more sinister is going on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back