• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Art of the Blade (OOC & Lore)

Main
Here
Characters
Here

JSPD2000

Q0zbzhQ.jpg

Breathe in, breath out. Breathe in, breathe out. The first rule in harnessing your mana is calmness. Learning to control your breathing, will allow you to tap into your worldly abilities! Without calmness, your mana frays and withers like a flame in the wind. Each and everyone one of you is capable of worldly things, and it is my job to bring it out of you. No matter your age or creed, I will mold you into the best Hunter you can become.

- Master Blanco

SB5r0NH.jpg

Mana - a simple, yet spiritual concept. Everyone has mana, however, not everyone can control it. Some cultures refer to it as Spirit Energy, whilst others see it as malicious and evil. The controlling and utilizing of this mana, is called Weaving. Sometimes referred to as Mana Weaving as well, the term Weaving refers to the practice of utilizing and mastering mana, 'weaving' it through your body like thread to perform different acts of Weaving Techniques. These techniques vary incredibly from individual to individual, and are subjective to the users' mana, personality, skill, etc. The techniques themselves are expelled through the usage of a weapon, most often a blade or sword made from a special material. However, this begs the question: Why would someone need to know all this?

~​

Monsters lurk the world that humans live in. Feeding off other living beings, it can be said these monsters do not exist for any other reason, other than to just simply kill off humans. Why would the gods create such disgusting beings? That is something not even the wisest men know. However, with this hand humans have been dealt, the Monsters can be fought by utilizing the power of mana. The struggle between the two has been recorded throughout history, although he exact time frame that mosnters appeared in the world is not certain. They have been the reason for many deaths, and the reason that humans cannot venture outside alone. This is why any human capable of learning to Weave, is sent through training to combat these monsters, in hopes that one day there is no need to fear these beings. However, right now, that day seems far away.

7XBwthC.jpg

The Academy of Lara Maxa is a school for the arts - the Art of Weaving, that is. A school for all ages and people, those that have a glimmer of mana control can enrol in the school to learn how to fight, and become Hunters. A curriculum includes everything from Mana study, Monster study, to practical exams and even field trips. Rumours state that other Academies like Lara Maxa exist in the world, however, that has not been confirmed.

Lara Maxa was a Hunter from yore, who began her own school from nothing, to what it is today. Although of course she is now deceased, a middle-aged man by the name of Vander runs the school as Headmaster. Accompanied by numerous staff and teachers, they run the school in hopes of creating Hunters that are willing to put their life on the line when push comes to shove. Every student is given a sword made from a material that allows them to utilize their mana, and this sword is their bread and butter when it comes to combat.

The Academy of Lara Maxa is situated in a town known as Glorias. Nestled in the mountains, this quaint town has a small bustling community with a market, taverns, and of course, houses for citizens. Students are permitted to go into town when they are not working or studying, however, they are not permitted to go out of curfew. Not following the rules can get students expelled. Study on, and become the best Hunter you can be.

Uniform:
mXgmF5h.jpg

~

6UaDZB1.jpg

Mana is free flowing, and subjective to each individual. Because of this, Mana can have differing properties for everyone. Traditionally, Mana follows the several Elements:
  • Lightning
  • Fire
  • Water
  • Air
  • Light
  • Darkness
  • Nature
Although these are the main elements, some elements can be considered to be sub-elements of the parent element. For example, Nature Mana generally encompasses earth-related techniques, however, plant-related techniques would be a sub-element of Nature. Same with Ice, and parent element being Water. It should also be noted, the sub-element would be the main element for the user. If a Hunter's mana was Ice elemental, then they would NOT be able to use the traditional Water. Scholars have been trying to sort through how this works, however, knowledge of mana is not as set in stone as many people would like, and as such, is unpredictable in nature.

Mana in relation to Weapons:
T
hroughout History, it has been shown that humans have had the ability to harness a spiritual power known as Mana. However, in concept, mana itself does cannot be properly utilized without the usage of a weapon, made from a material known as Vulkanite. Although some humans can display their usage of mana through minuscule ways such as creating a small spark, flickering of a flame, etc, nothing substantial can be done without Vulkanite. Why is this? Nobody truly knows, and scholars at this point have simply chalked it up to the properties of the material itself. The most common form of utilizing Vulkanite is in the form of a sword or a blade of sorts, to better kill monsters. Because of this, many Weaving techniques involve the usage of a sword. Although regular weapons can also be used on Monsters, generally speaking, their skins are tough enough to withstand most blows from regular weapons unless weakened to begin with.

~

NPCs

Master Blanco
An instructor at the Academy of Lara Maxa. He is a martial arts teacher, and teaches the Weapon Arts & Defense Class. He is a man that stands around 5'11", with an athletic build at 69 Years old. His hair is grey and slicked back, and generally has a stern and serious personality, as he takes his work very seriously.

~

Rules + World Rules

1. All Forum Rules Apply
2. This is a rather darker roleplay, so I guess I rate it "m" for all the usual stuff (swearing, some gore, adult themes). Please don't abuse this, and use it as an excuse to swear excessively or be crude or vulgar. I rated it this, to give a bit more freedom with writing.
3. No godmodding. I know this roleplay has mana and fighting and whatnot, but make the fighting realistic. If your character got hit, make sure you describe they actually got hit and not just shook it off like it was nothing ( a punch to the face does hurt).
4. No having multiple characters
5. No bunnying other characters without permission. However, something I do allow, is for you to bunny my character if you need to (you don't have to ask me, unless you think it is something out of the ordinary for my character to do).
6. Not really a rule, but please give me critique if you don't like something. For example, if you guys absolutely hate the whole chapter thing, then please let me know and I will most likely scrap it. With that said, if you have an idea for a chapter or want to have one revolving around your own character or whatever, please let me know.
7. Once again, not really a rule, however, I should note that this roleplay is not based around any existing franchise of the sort. It is simply my own creation.
8. This roleplay is a fantasy/medieval setting, keep in that mind.

4mJSmpU.jpg

As you can guess, your character will be a new student at the Academy of Lara Maxa. Their reasons for becoming a Hunter and learning at the Academy is up to them, however, you are eager to learn (hopefully). You hope to harness your power and make a change in this bleak, gloomy world. Find the Character Thread here: Fantasy - Art of the Blade (Character Sheets/Sign-Ups)
_____

Current Players:
1) Hainer Adhan Moradi (JSPD2000)
2) Yahno Cloudeye (Neon Chilli)
3) Taerynna Dyess (Sor-ca)
4) Lucoco (Spoiled Bread)

Last edited:
Hey everyone! Here is the OOC/Discussion and Lore Thread :) I’ve updated the main OP with stuff about Mana and Weapons, and I also added NPC section and pictures of what I imagine the uniforms to look like. I will update lore periodically as relevant stuff comes up!

The IC thread is also up, here are some notes for you to make your first post:

• To make things easier, I’ve started the roleplay off by having everyone already be in attendance at the academy. It is the first day of school, and the class is Weapon Arts & Defense, taught by Master Blanco. I’ve left it open ended for characters to interact with each other quickly. Your character is also currently wearing their uniform.
  • The next class the characters attend will be Mana Studies. Here they will get their Academy-issued sword and also ‘formally’ figure out what element their mana is.

Once that stuff is out of the way, we can proceed onto the next day! If you wat to throw in some flashbacks or whatnot into your post to show off a bit of your character, you can also do that :)

As for posting expectations: I understand life gets in the way so I do not expect anyone to be posting every day non-stop. I do however, expect players to post on a reasonable basis, and let me know if you plan on being away or if you will not be able to continue.

As for posting length: I do not want replies that are only a couple of sentences. I do expect a decent amount written, as this is not a super casual roleplay. I don’t expect paragraphs upon paragraphs, but enough to be considered a good-sized post and enough for others to work with.

Nice, I will start a post once I get the chance. A bit of question, how limited are the characters at using mana without the blade? Also, how blade-y the weapons need to be? Does blunt weapon isn't a viable pick? or piercing weapon?

Nice, I will start a post once I get the chance. A bit of question, how limited are the characters at using mana without the blade? Also, how blade-y the weapons need to be? Does blunt weapon isn't a viable pick? or piercing weapon?

Generally speaking it’s extremely limited. Mana can’t be used without the weapon, and if someone were to try to Weave/use their mana without one, they would find that very little would happen.

As for the weapon itself - blunt objects would also work, if you wanted to smash the demon in or something, or maybe something like a whip as well or rapier to pierce the body.

I’ve added more info about it under the “Mana” section of the OP of this thread :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back