Opinion Are you embarrassed to tell people you roleplay?

Honestly, I tell people that I do collaborative writing with people online. It literally knocks out most of the questions in that.

Most of my friends IRL did roleplay of the D&D variety too, so they wouldn't be surprised at all. Some changed hobbies, some did not, so yeah, I feel no shame whatsoever. I generally don't RP too eccentric things too, so maybe I have it easier, still. It's convenient to be able to exchane "RP Gag Reel" with friends.

Sometimes yes lol. I know some people find it a bit weird but honestly its just how I enjoy my spare time ya know? I'm more of the casual rper but I don't mention it often xD

No, never. I'm a three sport athlete, if anyone ever found out about this I think my brain would commit suicide

Not at all but then I don't go up to people saying oh hey guess what I roleplay. It's never really come up like that to be honest. Those around me know that I write and to me roleplay is one piece of writing so I don't feel there needs to be any stress on whether people know that's what I do. If they ask directly yeah sure I do.

I also go the 'collaborative writing' route. For people who don't know what rp is, it's usually enough to understand what I'm doing. Because essentially rp is a form of 'collaborative writing'. And it saves time explaining what rp is to people who won't be interested in this anyway.
For people who know what rp is, I straight up say that I rp, and there is nothing to be embarrased about.

my twin knows and the few other friends that do have only found out by accident lol and they all enjoy teasing me about it

but like, end of the day, they kind of know I don't care that much about what they think, I do it because I enjoy it
most of my friends aren't the writing type anywqy, they're more athletic so I don't see any reason for them to know

absolutely mortified to admit it just because of the people associated with rp'ing. i also just say i collab with other writers.

Mine is a bit more of "If you ask me then Id say yes but i wouldnt outright say it without any interest from the other party"

Its not embarassment and more of a "I have a hobby that you seeme to look like you wouldnt be interested so....." type of situation

Kind of? I don't announce that I roleplay. Especially to family. My dad can be very judgemental of my hobbies at times.

If anyone asks, I just say I do "collaborative writing" as well. Or just simply writing.

Embarrassed is not the word I would use, but I tried to keep that particular hobby close to the chest....until my parents found out about it. Dad thought it was interesting, Mom...………………well...………………….didn't.

Although the fact that people could see it as perverted hadn't crossed my mind until I read through this thread

Last edited:
I've never found a clever way of telling people what I do.
A clever way as in for people who don't understand will hear what I say and not be too judgemental.
And then for those who do understand/do it themselves...we can talk about it in public...
That makes it sound weird.

I'm not ashamed or embarrassed to talk about it. People wanna know about it I'll talk about it. It's when they get so judgemental that talking about it makes it look like I'm defecating on their religion. And then they ask questions about roleplaying like by doing it I commited a crime where I had to escape to Russia with no money and go on this epic quest to clear my name while defecating on their religion.

Honestly, I tell people that I do collaborative writing with people online. It literally knocks out most of the questions in that.

This.
I'm gonna say this from now on.

It doesn't really come up in conversation for me, but I will say in high school I found out via convo that one of my close friends was very much involved in fantasy roleplay and we had some of THE best times plotting and playing.

Nope.

I inform those close to me I do it and I mention it briefly from time to time (as in "I have a few posts to do before bed/work."). Though I don't really disclose details or content of roleplays unless really asked. Not because I an ashamed or anything but I'd rather respect the privacy of my partners. But if my friends ask, I will keep the partner out of it and just gush about character and plot.

Any writing project (big/small/personal/novel/RPs) is something I am happy to mention and keep loved ones in the loop about.

But I do understand some may find it hard to explain or a little weird. I wish more people would give it a go, it's very fun and I think the world could use more creative outlets that unify people.

Not really, most people irl know that I rp. Actually funny thing is, I met a few friends at DnD tables, till I became a DM.

Most of my friends do roleplay themselves, although most of them do more 'traditional' roleplaying like PnP. But since it's a shared hobby for a lot of people I hang out with outside of the internet it has never been a huge deal to tell them.
I can even talk about it at work, since I'm hardly the biggest nerd of the department.

It's never come up, I have some friends who do DND type stuff and others who think that kind of thing is stupid. If it came up I'd admit to it but thus far it's never been mentioned.

Maybe this is just me, but I do not like telling people that I role play. Most people assume that it is associated with dirty things, so they think it is weird that I do it. I typically try to hide what I am doing when I am typing a reply or even just refreshing the website (because of the giant RPNation banner). I feel so self conscious telling people about it, even my family. I just recently had to tell my boyfriend about it because he was worried I was cheating on him, and I have never felt more nervous. I'm just afraid of being judged for something I enjoy doing.

My question is, do you feel this way too? Why? Who do you feel comfortable telling?

Aw man, YES. I am SO embarrassed of it. IDK why, either. It's like writing a story with other authors, there's nothing BAD about it but it's just... IDK. My family doesn't know I do it at all. I have one IRL friend that knows and now when I make new friends online I try to be up front about it so I don't have to worry about it later. I guess it's just such a nerdy, unusual thing to do.

Kind of yes and no
My friends usually tease about the idea of "roleplay" so I never really bring it up. I'm not ashamed of me roleplaying because I love writing and expressing ideas but i just don't feel the need tell people that I do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back