Music Are you able to play an instrument?

Activers said:
I bought a used acoustic guitar months ago. Recently began teaching myself how to play, it's been several weeks.
How are you liking it so far? Is this your first musical instrument you've taken up?

I can play the Guitar "not that good though still learning" and I would love to learn how to play the cello

Cara said:
I would love to learn how to play the cello
I would say it's harder than guitar because of the lack of frets, although you could just mark your fingering positions on the fingerboard of the cello anyway. But if you're good at picking up specific pitches, then it might be a bit easier getting into it, I'd say.

Mifuyne said:
I would say it's harder than guitar because of the lack of frets, although you could just mark your fingering positions on the fingerboard of the cello anyway. But if you're good at picking up specific pitches, then it might be a bit easier getting into it, I'd say.
Thanks for the tip xD , I've been told its a bit hard, but I still have a chance, I mean I love its sound and I think it's cool xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Cara said:
Thanks for the tip xD , I've been told its a bit hard, but I still have a chance, I mean I love its sound and I think it's cool xD
Oh me too :D I actually blame Apocalyptica for getting me interested in the instrument in the first place xD I think if you've got an opportunity to and you're willing to dedicate yourself to it, take it up! Of course don't stop learning how to play a guitar :) I'm a believer of musical diversity. You're more likely to gain something by knowing more than one instrument (I also have the same belief with programming languages, LOL).

Mifuyne said:
Oh me too :D I actually blame Apocalyptica for getting me interested in the instrument in the first place xD I think if you've got an opportunity to and you're willing to dedicate yourself to it, take it up! Of course don't stop learning how to play a guitar :) I'm a believer of musical diversity. You're more likely to gain something by knowing more than one instrument (I also have the same belief with programming languages, LOL).
OMG! me too. I'm in love with languages, I can speak three languages and I wanna learn five more including sign language.

as for music I believe it is life, and I really hope I would have the chance to learn the cello, and I would never stop learning the guitar; it is a part of me now xD

Cara said:
OMG! me too. I'm in love with languages, I can speak three languages and I wanna learn five more including sign language.
as for music I believe it is life, and I really hope I would have the chance to learn the cello, and I would never stop learning the guitar; it is a part of me now xD
If you like Apocalyptica's earlier works, you should give Break of Reality a try (if you haven't already :P ) as far as I can tell, they're strictly cello's+percussions, even in their studio recordings :)

Here's a link to their Game of Thrones theme song cover, I thought it was one of the most beautiful thing I've heard xD

[media]

[/media]

Mifuyne said:
If you like Apocalyptica's earlier works, you should give Break of Reality a try (if you haven't already :P ) as far as I can tell, they're strictly cello's+percussions, even in their studio recordings :)
Here's a link to their Game of Thrones theme song cover, I thought it was one of the most beautiful thing I've heard xD

[media]

[/media]
they are AMAZING!! wow that was cool, and this is exactly what makes me in love with Cello. its sound is connected to the soul somehow.

Mifuyne said:
How are you liking it so far? Is this your first musical instrument you've taken up?
Really digging it! I've taught myself 3 songs so far. Indeed it is the first instrument I've taken up.

I can play keyboard, and by extension all musical instruments with piano keys. This is more because Indonesian school have Melodica as part of the curriculum rather than because I'm interested with it.

Activers said:
Really digging it! I've taught myself 3 songs so far. Indeed it is the first instrument I've taken up.
Nice! :D it's always more fun when you're enjoying what you're learning :) what made you decide to learn to play the guitar, btw?

Sadly no. I tried out for band in fifth grade. Tried the flute which I couldn't play correctly and the trumpet. I did take Guitar class in 11th grade and can play a C cord but that is it. My mother was in band (Clarinet) and my sister was in band (Flute). I have always wanted to learn how to play the violin or piano.

I played trumpet and baritone in band at school. I can also play the piano. But, I haven't played any of them in decades.

I was trained professionally as a snare drummer for 3 years..... Now I am known as the pit master. I am the leader of the pit percussion section in my school band.

For those of you who perhaps don't know what that means. Pit = anything but drums.

I play both guitars and bass fairly well, but I'm also a closeted amateur rapper.

Please don't tell anyone.

I don't want to brag, but I play a mean glockenspiel.

What's that you ask? Do I play any other ridiculously named instruments? Why yes I do. Xylophone baby.

Plus the rest of the mallet section for nine years. >_>

I play guitar, im not that good at it though. I've been playing for about a year now and I was inspired by Nirvana!

I can play a snare drum with some degree of success, though I can't read tabs at all. I used to take bagpipe lessons, and did manage to learn a few songs, but my schedules with university and other hobbies got too tight, so I had to drop it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back