• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Arcane Epistles - Character Sheets and OOC

Main
Here
Lore
Here
You post before me iv been busy

And that post is...unambiguously a dimension-hopping log unilaterally attaching our setting to Lovecraft's. If you want to RP in Lovecraft's setting, make a thread for that, don't ram a portal to 1920s Boston into a thread about wizards in a secondary fantasy world just because a shoggoth got mentioned.

And that post is...unambiguously a dimension-hopping log unilaterally attaching our setting to Lovecraft's. If you want to RP in Lovecraft's setting, make a thread for that, don't ram a portal to 1920s Boston into a thread about wizards in a secondary fantasy world just because a shoggoth got mentioned.
the temple is a dimensional gateway.... cause the necromantic gods exist across time... also its a log.... wont be explored further

If you would prefer I can edit it considerably to fit in better

Also Arkham in this is basically early renaissance period so....

Also Arkham in this is basically early renaissance period so....

I think the issue at play may be more the tying this to an Earth-like setting or a fandom/different fictional setting without permission. The time period is also a factor but... I think that part is really the core of it.

Name: Willow "Will"
Known Nicknames: Whisp, The Wanderer
Age: Relatively young, there's some question to this through,
Quiddity: Green
Position: Professor /animal researcher

Personality: Will is a softer than anything They are sensitive and far prefer animals to people. when they were in school they were the quiet kid in the back of their classes, Will is good at writing their thought's but struggles to speak to them. At this point they are more use to talking to animals, so when they do make appearances on campus it's to teach a class and then they bail, avoiding most interactions with humans. Will is sweet and caring and worries deeply about their people. Wills ethics prevent them from using magic on animals directly through unless it is to help them, they would never experiment on another living being unless it is in the service of helping them and trying something new on them would have to be a last resort.

Backstory: Will grew up on the outside, on their family's magical and otherwise creature sanctuary a place where many animals found refuge. Will was always them; no one remembers a time when they were, not. Animals flocked to them even as a baby, and they were often surrounded by all kinds of creatures. After a while they grew up and went off to school as they did this they went on a series of adventures and misadventures. At some point as the magic grew, they retreated farther into themselves, and eventually returned home, to the family home where they have been ever since for the most part through. They write in about there life and visit to teach the rare class, but they prefer the mostly quiet life.

Abilities: Animal Speech, basically understands and can talk too animals depending on the animal its different through. Will has some minor shapeshifting more like their own appearance changing with in the human limits, it's a skill they mostly use to morph features more likely though they avoid using it more than anything. Will's also really good at growing plants, due to years of study and their natural magic ability, though they aren't a huge focus most of the time. Will's also an experienced tracker, in many ways.

Appearance: Will is tall, and thin, though they tend to hide under green clock and loose clothes most of the time, they have bright green eyes, though they can also change their color and it sometimes happens without them being aware they are doing it. Will has a way of easily blending into the group, since they can minorly change their features. Will has shaggy blond hair that they sometimes are forced to tie back as it has grown to long for their liking. Will often cuts their hair before they visit town and changes how they dress and look unless they are teaching.They have slightly pointy ears that they spend their life trying hide when in town and tries to leave them changed in shape always fail and since they can't be sure it will work, they just cover them with hair or a hood.

3 spells/hexes:
Grow: 1G, this is the most basic plain of green magic, the ability to make already living things grow bigger, works on both animals and plants,
New Growth: 2G, create and grow new that exiast already with in the knowing of the character casting it plants, The ability to create plant life out of nothing,
Bonemend: 1G 1Y, does just as the name says it mends bones/grow restoring them to a normal shape

Other Notes: They are always found with their sidekick the talking raven, Pipsqueak who is mostly just called Pip cause he has feelings about their name. Pip is stupid smart and super salty. He tends to pipe in on letters. He can be easily annoyed, really devoted to his person though. Will raised him as a baby along with his siblings.

Last edited:
The PlantLife spell makes me kind of nervous, I don't like the difficulty to learn or cast a spell being dissociated from its mana requirement, it adds a bunch of variables to spellcasting that we aren't really keeping track of. Like, to the extent that people are keeping track of spell fatigue at all, it's going to be based on the mana reqs, and most of the time the only impact spell fatigue will have is a token mention of being tired after casting seventeen supposedly high-energy spells in a row. Plus, I don't see why PlantLife needs a steep cost attached to it? Being able to pull a bouquet of flowers out of your hat isn't all that impressive.

I'm also not sure that blue mana makes sense as part of this spell, but that is mostly Idea and Sunsmiter's problem.

I'm also not sure that blue mana makes sense as part of this spell, but that is mostly Idea and Sunsmiter's problem.

To be honest, it really doesn't strike me as a blue quiddity spell at all. The only thing that could be suggestive of blue mana there is, if we really, really, really stretch it, the plant coming from thin air (so some 'turning a mental image into reality' kind of thing), but that doesn't sound like enough for even a single blue quiddity influence, let alone two. Besides it would kind of imply that "making stuff out of thin air" is in the blue domain exclusively, which seems like too much to put there. There's also the fact that the Plantlife spell and New Growth spell are basically the same, the only distinction mana cost aside is that one needs dirt and the other needs energy, which to me it seems you could easily wrap it together by going "If you don't have access to the necessary amount of dirt the spell takes a toll on you to compensate". I think these two spells would make more sense combined into a singular green-only spell.

That being said, to be honest my biggest worry is the sheer power and versatility of these spells. Current wording seems to suggest you can make up entirely new plants to create, but even if you can't, you can effectively bring up any plant you want and conjure it out of thin air (or a pile of dirt). I think that might cross over the "not being ale to solve every problem" clause, or quite near that, which is not to mention the worldbuilding impact of a common green mage (3 mana is still the realm of beginners, 4 mana is just barely into advanced magic) being able to just will extremely rare magical plants into being (or even more common magical plants in massive amounts). Plus, even if you ignore the massive wider impact Starwalker123 Starwalker123 , I think you might be shooting yourself in the foot a it by having one or two spells do such a great percentage of what green quiddity magic seems to be about. Keep in mind this is just a personal opinion and I'm not speaking with any authority here, but I would suggest on top of what I said above, that such spells should probably be limited more strictly. Maybe you can only replicate a certain plant a given number of times and you need the original to do so, or maybe the spell is restricted to mundane (AKA non-magical) plants, or the spell could only do a handful of plants, something along these lines.

I was also wondering Starwalker123 Starwalker123 , is your character an elf or something? You mentioned they have pointed ears, but you never really made their species explicit at any point as far as I can tell.

That being said, to be honest my biggest worry is the sheer power and versatility of these spells. Current wording seems to suggest you can make up entirely new plants to create, but even if you can't, you can effectively bring up any plant you want and conjure it out of thin air (or a pile of dirt).

Oh, this is a good point. I was only thinking of mundane trees and shrubberies and such, but we haven't been shy about making up magic plants with useful properties. Specifying that they're non-magical plants should fix that problem and also leaves obvious additional spells for growing various magical plants.

Also, 1-2 mana is apprentice level, 3-5 is a fully trained wizard. 3 is just barely over that threshold, but it is over the threshold, so that's the point where spells can be pretty powerful and it's fine. Obviously you want to leave yourself room to grow for levels 4-9 without exceeding the soft power cap, but also it's fine if a level 3 spell is a big enough deal that someone's entire job could be casting that spell.

Oh, this is a good point. I was only thinking of mundane trees and shrubberies and such, but we haven't been shy about making up magic plants with useful properties. Specifying that they're non-magical plants should fix that problem and also leaves obvious additional spells for growing various magical plants.

Also, 1-2 mana is apprentice level, 3-5 is a fully trained wizard. 3 is just barely over that threshold, but it is over the threshold, so that's the point where spells can be pretty powerful and it's fine. Obviously you want to leave yourself room to grow for levels 4-9 without exceeding the soft power cap, but also it's fine if a level 3 spell is a big enough deal that someone's entire job could be casting that spell.

Ah ok. For some reason what I remembered was 1-3 beginner, 4-6 trained, 7-9 master.

This is all alot to think about and take in, if i need to make changes to make this better fit with the roleplay i can do that. I do agree about maybe rolling it into a single spell, i had that throught writing it.

Oh and the elf thing was purposefully vague lol

also weird question have we defined were healing type magic would fit in

also weird question have we defined were healing type magic would fit in

The grammar is a little hard to parse here, but assuming I understood the question correctly...

As a general rules, general effects aren't color-restricted, though different colors have different methods. Yellow might use a healing magic that restores something to its original form, whereas purple would likely syphon the life force of something else to do it. I don't believe a healing spell has been established so far, but feel free to check the lore thread if you'd like to double-check.

Oh and the elf thing was purposefully vague lol

Fair enough, I suppose everyone's been playing kind of coy with ages here in the immortal's club haha, though less so with species. I guess a reason why I asked is because I established a particular subspecies of elf (though I also made sure to make them purposefully distinct from most elves to avoid stepping on people's toes or covering too much ground).

Right, the new version of spell still seems to have the massive issue of the previous one, in that it seems to be able to conjure up any plant in a setting where the plants are magical, not to mention the wording also seems to imply you can create entirely new ones.

New Growth: 2G, create and grow new that exiast already with in the knowing of the character casting it plants, The ability to create plant life out of nothing,
How does this sound.. i

Users who are viewing this thread

Back