• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Arcane Epistles - Character Sheets and OOC

Main
Here
Lore
Here
Just read the summary, small correction ChamomileHasWords ChamomileHasWords the Great Forest is actually not an extraplanar world, it's a place bordering Mysterise which is connected to one of those worlds.

Also, maybe it would be a good idea to include a link to the original post where the thing was described? for anyone who may want to look up more details.

I've edited Mystrise's description and added links where they're available. I'm nervous that eventually these hexes will get referenced and even overhauled by multiple different posts and that might make it difficult to find a single post that aptly describes the current state of the location, so there's probably always going to be some hexes that don't have any good posts to link to, but I may as well use the ones that do exist.

My opinion:

This spell should be seriously toned down, I think. In the first place you shouldn't be able to just name someone and they appear. That alone is enough to make this kind of spell massively world-breaking in its repercussions. 2 purple quiddity is a beginner spell. A purple mage basically just starting out can solve most murder cases in 10 minutes, directly invoke historical figures for records, connect anyone to their dead friends, family and loved ones etc... It's probably fair to make this a low-cost spell, but it should come with a lot more restrictions.

Also the dead being able to directly communicate emotions and such is... narratively it can cut off a lot of things. Being able to communicate concepts and ideas though, that one's also pretty world-breaking. It effectively means you can't have long-lost spells anymore since you'd be able to grasp things that you didn't have access to due to not understanding advanced concepts. Now that I think about it, this pretty much would mean invoking a teacher would pretty much let you instantly master purple magic at least on an intellectual level.

Basically this spell should probably come with a heavy addition of more limitations.

Would be best to cut off these two lines. They don't seem to add much to the idea and just restrict the kind of NPCs that can be powerful undead.

This segment would probably make more sense above the rest of the talks about undead.

--------------------------

Aside from this, I guess the post feels very clinical. Not saying that's wrong, it just depends on the kind of character you're trying to convey through the way you write it.
Noted il tone down the speak with dead.

I've edited Mystrise's description and added links where they're available. I'm nervous that eventually these hexes will get referenced and even overhauled by multiple different posts and that might make it difficult to find a single post that aptly describes the current state of the location, so there's probably always going to be some hexes that don't have any good posts to link to, but I may as well use the ones that do exist.

Just to throw out some possible ideas
-you could just link the posts that introduce them
-we could make it a rule that any location we reference must be listed in our posts in the OOC part (that way it's easier to check if there's any content worth reading)
-spoiler tag the extensive list of links for each location

Feel free to use any, all or none of the above, as you find reasonable. :)

PS: Thank you!

This got posted while I was still working on the Atlas/Grimoire update, so I'm circling back to it now.

The Beginnings of Necromancy
Nyraloi

-Snip-

The straightforward thread rules problem is that you're not supposed to define multiple spells at once unless they're all mono-quiddity, so you should cut out the 1P/1G spell and paste it somewhere for another post.

I think the main problem with the Speak With Dead is the telepathic ability to transmit ideas and concepts directly, meaning that it's actually easier to get information out of a dead witness as compared to a living one. If the dead are communicating through a combination of fragmentary visions, strong emotions, and a handful of words, then it both allows for murder mysteries and the sort because the dead can transmit clues but can't give a deposition describing exactly what happened the night of the murder, and also it makes sense as a 1P beginner spell, the sort of thing that most purple-quiddity mages figure out intuitively, using the point of purple mana they automatically have, without any special tools or formal education. Like, the way you know your kid's a budding necromancer is that they have weird ghost visions.

This got posted while I was still working on the Atlas/Grimoire update, so I'm circling back to it now.

The straightforward thread rules problem is that you're not supposed to define multiple spells at once unless they're all mono-quiddity, so you should cut out the 1P/1G spell and paste it somewhere for another post.

I think the main problem with the Speak With Dead is the telepathic ability to transmit ideas and concepts directly, meaning that it's actually easier to get information out of a dead witness as compared to a living one. If the dead are communicating through a combination of fragmentary visions, strong emotions, and a handful of words, then it both allows for murder mysteries and the sort because the dead can transmit clues but can't give a deposition describing exactly what happened the night of the murder, and also it makes sense as a 1P beginner spell, the sort of thing that most purple-quiddity mages figure out intuitively, using the point of purple mana they automatically have, without any special tools or formal education. Like, the way you know your kid's a budding necromancer is that they have weird ghost visions.
how about now?

But should I expand the post to explain more or is that good?

What did I miss? Finally feel good enough after my wisdom teeth removal surgery to actually read up on stuff.

updated hexes (introduction of at least one zone, possibly more depending on when exactly you stopped looking)
some discussion and clarification about what's allowed or not in terms of spell cost and variety
people coming back to finish up their CSs

and more.

There are some things that stand out to me, but which I honestly want ChamomileHasWords ChamomileHasWords 's own thoughts on before I say anything.
no no no. Tell me. I wanna mod things if necessary. Tell me what you think (narrativly il talk with chamo about mechanics wise).

no no no. Tell me. I wanna mod things if necessary. Tell me what you think (narrativly il talk with chamo about mechanics wise).
Is it good?

It's a decent post, yeah. It's like I said before pretty clinical, but whether or not that fits is highly character-dependent. I certainly don't think there's anything you need or even necessarily should change about it, as far as style is concerned. I'm sticking to my guns on the matter I'm not revealing though. Rest assured it's not about post quality or anything like that though.

It's a decent post, yeah. It's like I said before pretty clinical, but whether or not that fits is highly character-dependent. I certainly don't think there's anything you need or even necessarily should change about it, as far as style is concerned. I'm sticking to my guns on the matter I'm not revealing though. Rest assured it's not about post quality or anything like that though.
What do you think about the concepts and spells and things?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back