• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Arcane Epistles - Character Sheets and OOC

Main
Here
Lore
Here
Hey merry Christmas sorry i haven't been able to get my app up but i should have it up today/tomorrow

One more question and one clarification wanted:
- Mages can't use their opposite quiddity, but does that mean they can't cast any spell that includes opposing quiddities? For context, I'm making a counterspell that uses 3 different color quiddities. Yellow, Blue, and Orange currently. Since Blue and Orange are opposed quiddities, would the spell auto-fail? Or is it fine since my character is able to use both Blue and Orange? (Don't worry, I have idea for how other quiddities can counterspell. This isn't a Yellow only thing).

- I assume we aren't inventing most of these spells since we're not the first mages. Just because no one has defined what the 1G spell is doesn't mean green mages since a thousand years ago haven't discovered what a simple 1G spell does. Right?

Mages can't use their opposite quiddity, but does that mean they can't cast any spell that includes opposing quiddities?

To my understanding, yes. Not only that, but a spell cannot contain two opposite quiddities. In fact one of my character's life goals is the development of spells that with opposite quiddities (what I labeled 'Paradox Spellcraft' in my character sheet)

Since Blue and Orange are opposed quiddities, would the spell auto-fail? Or is it fine since my character is able to use both Blue and Orange?

Just to clarify what I said above is an answer to this as well, a spell cannot have opposite quiddities.

I assume we aren't inventing most of these spells since we're not the first mages. Just because no one has defined what the 1G spell is doesn't mean green mages since a thousand years ago haven't discovered what a simple 1G spell does. Right?

I assumed the same and I see no reason why it wouldn't be the case.

Idea Idea Funny enough, that's the premise in which my character intends to create a philosopher's stone. I won't go into a big long blurb about how alchemy worked back when it was practiced, but it was built on the idea of mixing opposites. If one could mix ever opposite together then they would be able to create prima materia, the matter from which God made everything at the genesis. If one could learn to shape it to their will, like God, then they would be able to shape the entire world in their image becoming a god themself.

Idea Idea Funny enough, that's the premise in which my character intends to create a philosopher's stone. I won't go into a big long blurb about how alchemy worked back when it was practiced, but it was built on the idea of mixing opposites. If one could mix ever opposite together then they would be able to create prima materia, the matter from which God made everything at the genesis. If one could learn to shape it to their will, like God, then they would be able to shape the entire world in their image becoming a god themself.

So your character wants to become a god of the new world?

wWwIMkA.gif

I need some ideas for purple spells. And how to include them in the post.

I need some ideas for purple spells. And how to include them in the post.

How about going for some of the basics for now? Your character is a teacher after all, so it would make sense they would write some introduction entries into the necromantic arts. A spell that causes diseases, a spell to speak with the dead, a basic undead spell like a zombie or skeleton, etc...

Alternatively, you could also build on the event I introduced, where academy students will vote on a field trip location. You character might talk about some defensive purple spells that ward off decay, diseases or other maladies associated with purple, while talking about the place to go to a field trip on.

Idea Idea Cira's grandfather is a world renowned adventurering wizard that slew an elder dragon, becoming on of the wealthiest and most powerful persons in the land overnight. He then effectively bought his way into becoming the Archmage of the Academy for a period of time, but eventually retired when he realized it meant sitting at a desk and dealing with a bunch of arrogant wizards like himself instead of adventuring. Cira expects to be a big splash in the water like her grandfather. She's also looking for her lost father who went on a journey to find a source of Prima Materia but never came back. So not entirely selfishly motivated, but desperately wants to stop living in the shadow of her grandfather.

CommanderNecro CommanderNecro Since I'm developing a counterspell, I've been thinking about how each color could do it. Here's what I came up with.

Green Counterspell = absorb the spell's mana dissipating it
Blue Counterspell = silence the mind of the caster preventing spell completion
Orange Counterspell = unravel the energies of the spell preventing weaving
Red Counterspell = cause the spell to overload and backfire on the caster
Purple Counterspell = twist the properties of the spell causing it to redirect back at the caster
Yellow Counterspell = nullify the spell by preventing it from changing anything

Maybe you'd like to add a counterspell to your spellbook?

How about going for some of the basics for now? Your character is a teacher after all, so it would make sense they would write some introduction entries into the necromantic arts. A spell that causes diseases, a spell to speak with the dead, a basic undead spell like a zombie or skeleton, etc...

Alternatively, you could also build on the event I introduced, where academy students will vote on a field trip location. You character might talk about some defensive purple spells that ward off decay, diseases or other maladies associated with purple, while talking about the place to go to a field trip on.
So how about this?
Speak with dead (self-explanatory)
Summon Lesser Undead (zombie or skeleton)
Prevent Decay
Rotting pox (causes a disease)

Idea Idea Cira's grandfather is a world renowned adventurering wizard that slew an elder dragon, becoming on of the wealthiest and most powerful persons in the land overnight. He then effectively bought his way into becoming the Archmage of the Academy for a period of time, but eventually retired when he realized it meant sitting at a desk and dealing with a bunch of arrogant wizards like himself instead of adventuring. Cira expects to be a big splash in the water like her grandfather. She's also looking for her lost father who went on a journey to find a source of Prima Materia but never came back. So not entirely selfishly motivated, but desperately wants to stop living in the shadow of her grandfather.

CommanderNecro CommanderNecro Since I'm developing a counterspell, I've been thinking about how each color could do it. Here's what I came up with.

Green Counterspell = absorb the spell's mana dissipating it
Orange Counterspell = unravel the energies of the spell preventing weaving
Red Counterspell = cause the spell to overload and backfire on the caster
Purple Counterspell = twist the properties of the spell causing it to redirect back at the caster
Yellow Counterspell = nullify the spell by preventing it from changing anything

Maybe you'd like to add a counterspell to your spellbook?
I like the idea of purple. But I would like to make it myself please.

ok Idea Idea quick question. Can we make multiple spells that cost the same? For example making two spells that cost 1 purple?

So how about this?
Speak with dead (self-explanatory)
Summon Lesser Undead (zombie or skeleton)
Prevent Decay
Rotting pox (causes a disease)

These sound great. I would make Rotting Pox on the more expensive side if you don’t add qualifiers like “minor” disease for instance.

ok Idea Idea quick question. Can we make multiple spells that cost the same? For example making two spells that cost 1 purple?

To my understanding, no. Also again I must point I’m not the ultimate authority on this matter, it just happens I’m probably less busy (right now) than the GM.

These sound great. I would make Rotting Pox on the more expensive side if you don’t add qualifiers like “minor” disease for instance.

To my understanding, no. Also again I must point I’m not the ultimate authority on this matter, it just happens I’m probably less busy (right now) than the GM.
Cool.

@Were you just thinking of pure Purple spells? If so, I think "Prevent Decay" falls more under the restoration umbrella. You could probably make a Purple/Green spell that fit that idea, though.

@Were you just thinking of pure Purple spells? If so, I think "Prevent Decay" falls more under the restoration umbrella. You could probably make a Purple/Green spell that fit that idea, though.

I mean there’s a difference between preventing and repair.

A cool idea. The way I would probably go about it for blue is analysis if and breaking down a core element of the spell, fitting with blue’s subtheme of meta magic.

It is prevent decay. Not revert decay.

Ok Idea Idea ithinkcat ithinkcat ChamomileHasWords ChamomileHasWords

How would this be for the next post? Give feedback as needed, please.

The Beginnings of Necromancy
Nyraloi

Many have asked where to begin in Necromancy. What to know, what to cast, what to practice, and so on. Here I have compiled everything a new necromancer needs to know. And for those simply curious this is a good place to start as well.

Apprentice Necromancer Spells

Prevent/Cause Decay (1 Purple)

Upon casting the user touches, points to, or otherwise acknowledges a nearby corpse. The corpse does not decay. And reverts to a form with the least amount of visible decay. If it is not already in this state. A corpse affected by this spell also does not attract animals that eat corpses (such as carrions). And animals will not eat the corpse. This effect lasts indefinitely or until dismissed by the caster. The spell can be removed if the spell is cast on the corpse again. Thus causing decay once more. This spell cannot be cast on a skeleton or corpse with little to no flesh.

Notes: A corpse affected by this spell can still be raised as an undead. And once it becomes an undead decay resumes at a normal rate. These kinds of undead are usually more intelligent (due to more brain matter being present) and flexible (due to less decay).
Speak with Dead (2 Purple)

When cast the user names a dead person that the caster knew personally. The caster must have a personal item that was of significant personal importance to the dead person. The selected person's souls come up from the underworld. They take the form of glowing orbs of light (or balls of darkness). The caster is allowed to speak with them for up to 5 minutes. The dead are allowed to lie, deceive, and more unless otherwise compelled not to. The dead also maintain their memories and personality. The dead communicate in the voice they had in life. And spells which force the truth or otherwise compel them to say something have no effect. The dead cannot be direct in their answers. As such usually communicate through gestures, riddles, poems, and more. The dead cannot name any person (including themself), reveal anything of grave personal importance and similar things. The dead person can only be seen and heard by the caster.

Notes: Best used with someone you are in good standing with. Considering a dead man (or woman) can still lie. And due to their indirection towards riddles, it is advised that you perform this spell with another. And since no one else but the caster can see the dead they see you as speaking to nothing.
Summon Lesser Undead (4 Purple)

Before casting the summoner chooses a nearby corpse. The corpse animates as a skeleton (if a skeleton) or zombie (if recently deceased). The undead is controlled by the summoner via a form of telepathy. The undead stays indefinitely or until dismissed. Its instructions must be crafted carefully. For if the creature sees any living entity (other than its summoner) it will kill it. Unless explicitly told not to. And while it can perform complex tasks. It must be given careful instruction on how to do so. The less brain matter the creature has the less intelligent it is. With skeletons being by far the most unintelligent. The creature does not maintain any memories of its former life. And is incapable of speech. However, maintains the skills (non-magical) it had in life. Such undead also cannot (and will not) move against its summoner in any way.

Notes: Skeletons are fragile and large kinetic forces can crack or break their bones. Effectively killing them. Since they maintain their skills ideal targets for reanimation are swordsmen, archers, and other non-magical professions.
Necromancy Concepts
There are many necromancy concepts. But what I think is the most important is what fuels necromancy itself. What it was built to control, summon, and sometimes oppose. The undead. Many know of them in a general sense. But don't know how powerful some of them are or what fuels them.
The Undead
Undead take many forms, shapes, and sizes. But what defines an undead? An undead is a creature that does not breathe. Its heart does not beat. In a literal sense, this means its biological functions don't function at all. And the creature should be deceased. However, has been animated by the magical force of Purple. Undead are usually (though not necessarily) neutral or evil. Undead is the predominant ability for necromancers. Necromancers can control, summon, destroy, and harness the powers of the undead. It is what defines a necromancer. Undead are organized into 3 tiers.
Tier 3 undead "The Lowly"
Tier 3 undead more commonly called "The Lowly" are the least dangerous. And thus least powerful. The most common examples of these kinds of undead are skeletons and zombies. These undead are usually the most numerous. And often found in hordes. And are usually commanded by more powerful undead. These kinds of undead are not very intelligent. However, can perform complex tasks if given specific instructions to do so. These undead are also created by necromantic magical effects, areas, and more. Be warned. All undead of this tier attack living entities on sight. And although they might not be powerful alone. In hordes, they can prove devastating. Even for experienced spell casters. All undead of this tier are evil.
Tier 2 undead "The Harrowers"
Tier 2 undead also known as "Harrowers" are moderately strong undead. These undead are commonly found in small groups or alone. Some common examples of this tier include wraiths and ghouls. These kinds of undead sometimes have magical powers. Which are usually passive. Undead of this tier are also as intelligent (and sometimes more) than the regular human. As such extreme caution is advised. These undead are strategic in nature and approach. Expect tactics and strategies to be used by these undead. These undead usually do not attack every living creature they find. These kinds of undead however are not considered sapient. And also barely (if at all) have any personality to bear. Undead in this tier can be neutral or evil.
Tier 1 undead "The Unbound"
Tier 1 undead or simply "Unbound" are the most powerful kinds of undead one will encounter. These undead always wield magical powers. Both passive and active. And many are spell casters. These undead are extremely intelligent. And are commonly found leading undead hordes. Undead of this nature are sapient. Common examples of tier 1 undead include Revenants, Liches, Mummy Lords, and Vampires. Undead in this tier can be any alignment. However, are normally neutral.

Last edited:
I haven’t read it yet, but something that stuck out to me, you can’t make a post adding more than one spell unless all of those spells are only of your quiddity (so pure purple in your case).

My opinion:

Speak with Dead (2 Purple)

When cast the user names up to three (3) dead persons. The selected person's souls come up from the underworld. They take the form of glowing orbs of light (or balls of darkness). The caster is allowed to speak with them for up to 10 minutes. The dead are allowed to lie, deceive, and more unless otherwise compelled not to. The dead also maintain their memories and personality. The dead speak to the summoner via telepathy. Which can show ideas, concepts, emotions, and more.

This spell should be seriously toned down, I think. In the first place you shouldn't be able to just name someone and they appear. That alone is enough to make this kind of spell massively world-breaking in its repercussions. 2 purple quiddity is a beginner spell. A purple mage basically just starting out can solve most murder cases in 10 minutes, directly invoke historical figures for records, connect anyone to their dead friends, family and loved ones etc... It's probably fair to make this a low-cost spell, but it should come with a lot more restrictions.

Also the dead being able to directly communicate emotions and such is... narratively it can cut off a lot of things. Being able to communicate concepts and ideas though, that one's also pretty world-breaking. It effectively means you can't have long-lost spells anymore since you'd be able to grasp things that you didn't have access to due to not understanding advanced concepts. Now that I think about it, this pretty much would mean invoking a teacher would pretty much let you instantly master purple magic at least on an intellectual level.

Basically this spell should probably come with a heavy addition of more limitations.

And wield powerful personalities. They are also capable of learning at a vast rate.

Would be best to cut off these two lines. They don't seem to add much to the idea and just restrict the kind of NPCs that can be powerful undead.

The Undead
This segment would probably make more sense above the rest of the talks about undead.

--------------------------

Aside from this, I guess the post feels very clinical. Not saying that's wrong, it just depends on the kind of character you're trying to convey through the way you write it.

Idea is correct, but just to have it officially from the GM:

One more question and one clarification wanted:
- Mages can't use their opposite quiddity, but does that mean they can't cast any spell that includes opposing quiddities? For context, I'm making a counterspell that uses 3 different color quiddities. Yellow, Blue, and Orange currently. Since Blue and Orange are opposed quiddities, would the spell auto-fail? Or is it fine since my character is able to use both Blue and Orange? (Don't worry, I have idea for how other quiddities can counterspell. This isn't a Yellow only thing).

- I assume we aren't inventing most of these spells since we're not the first mages. Just because no one has defined what the 1G spell is doesn't mean green mages since a thousand years ago haven't discovered what a simple 1G spell does. Right?

Yes, you can't have spells from opposing quiddities, and yes, just like the map is only blank because we haven't made it up yet, the spell book is only blank because we haven't invented all the spells yet. If you're defining low-level spells like 1G, you're probably either mentioning them in passing while mainly talking about something else or else presenting a guide for new students first getting to grips with green magic.

No. You only get nine mono-quiddity spell slots and you don't really have to worry about how someone else's quiddity works when you're using them, so use them wisely. Relatedly, while some kind of Preserve Corpse spell would make sense as mono-purple, it would also work for purple/yellow and I wouldn't walk away from someone offering a slot that lets you keep something mono-purple in reserve for later.

The Atlas and Grimoire is updated with the last couple of posts. Having added the first updates to that, I also realize that people might want to put the quick summary for new hexes/spells in the OOC spoiler at the end of a post where they define those hexes/spells. That's not a requirement or anything, I can summarize stuff for the Atlas and Grimoire, but I can't promise that my summary won't leave out stuff you might've intended to be important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back