• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Arcane Epistles - Character Sheets and OOC

Main
Here
Lore
Here
Just because you can come up with excuses why a fantasy setting would look and feel exactly like modern email doesn't mean you should

I am in complete agreements there shouldn't be attachments at the bottom, but I do think images shouldn't be out of the question entirely as even the real world printing press did have images long before there was any kind of computer-like technology. The fantasy setting would simply facilitate the process.

That being said if you as the GM want to make it a rule that no images are allowed, then we'll have to accept it I guess. I think if we at least try to choose/edit them to look appropriate and don't like insert in like a published diary or something else that wouldn't give time for a drawing to be made and printed there shouldn't be an issue, but that's my view.

So those are my reasons, and I'll ask for your decision.

Edit: Also, just read the post and yeah, I think I'm starting to see your point better. That last line feels very immersion breaking.

Last edited:
I am in complete agreements there shouldn't be attachments at the bottom, but I do think images shouldn't be out of the question entirely as even the real world printing press did have images long before there was any kind of computer-like technology. The fantasy setting would simply facilitate the process.

That being said if you as the GM want to make it a rule that no images are allowed, then we'll have to accept it I guess. I think if we at least try to choose/edit them to look appropriate and don't like insert in like a published diary or something else that wouldn't give time for a drawing to be made and printed there shouldn't be an issue, but that's my view.

So those are my reasons, and I'll ask for your decision.

Edit: Also, just read the post and yeah, I think I'm starting to see your point better. That last line feels very immersion breaking.
Fuck. Any suggestion on how to change it? The last line I mean.

I was not told I couldn't use images. So I simply assumed what Idea did. That someone (likely on her crew) drew a sketch of things while on site. And then actually painted it at a later date. And then simply used it as illustrations for what the article was describing. Kind of like real-world newspapers.

The problem isn't that images are being used at all. The problem is that they're being used in a way that accomplishes nothing and is clearly indicative of having been ripped out of a Google Image search in thirty seconds. Why would Nyarloi bother to get an illustration of the cathedral if it took even five minutes of effort to do so? There is nothing exceptional about the cathedral's layout, contents, or state of decay that benefits from illustration. For that matter, why did she bother with an illustration of the slime who got a throwaway line clearly included only to justify the illustration, but then not bother with illustrating the rotting horror, which she dedicates an entire paragraph to explaining in text, and which would actually benefit from an illustration since it has a pretty non-standard anatomy?

Throwing illustrations into every single post to meet a self-imposed quota only draws attention to the fact that you can't actually provide illustrations for the things that most need them.

The problem isn't that images are being used at all. The problem is that they're being used in a way that accomplishes nothing and is clearly indicative of having been ripped out of a Google Image search in thirty seconds. Why would Nyarloi bother to get an illustration of the cathedral if it took even five minutes of effort to do so? There is nothing exceptional about the cathedral's layout, contents, or state of decay that benefits from illustration. For that matter, why did she bother with an illustration of the slime who got a throwaway line clearly included only to justify the illustration, but then not bother with illustrating the rotting horror, which she dedicates an entire paragraph to explaining in text, and which would actually benefit from an illustration since it has a pretty non-standard anatomy?

I see. So it's about relative importance. Alright.

Throwing illustrations into every single post to meet a self-imposed quota only draws attention to the fact that you can't actually provide illustrations for the things that most need them.
Ok, that's a fair point.
1: I will add an image/illustration for the Rotting Horror
2: I'm going to be doing that for ALL physical locations just so people can KNOW how they look like
3: It's a scientific analysis basically. All notable details are logged. Including images.
4: And il remove the image of the slime
cool?

Ok, that's a fair point.
1: I will add an image/illustration for the Rotting Horror
2: I'm going to be doing that for ALL physical locations just so people can KNOW how they look like
3: It's a scientific analysis basically. All notable details are logged. Including images.
4: And il remove the image of the slime
cool?
If you can find an illustration of the rotting horror, sure, but I don't want to have to be constantly policing whether the illustrations make any sense at all for Nyarloi to have bothered with when it would be easier to just not have them.

If you can find an illustration of the rotting horror, sure, but I don't want to have to be constantly policing whether the illustrations make any sense at all for Nyarloi to have bothered with when it would be easier to just not have them.
Uh....is it okay for the "editor's photo" of Sol?
Cause I added once because it looks cool.

I did. I'm gonna make minor changes over time just to flow better and things. While other people are posting their articles (because I assume this is turn-based).

Also, I have an idea for undead and such. I'm gonna split them into tiers (or levels or whatever you wanna call them). 3 tiers of undead. 1 being the highest and 3 being the lowest. Tier 3s would be things like zombies, skeletons, and similar things. Tier 2 would be things like ghouls, wights, and stuff. Tier 1 is like true vampires, revenants, liches, etc. The higher the tier the undead the harder they are to summon and control. But also the more powerful they are. I would like to have the following kinds of undead. Specifics can be decided upon ChamomileHasWords ChamomileHasWords .
Wraiths
Wights
Liches
Vampires
Vampire Spawn
Ghouls
Ghasts
Hulking Terrors
Headless Knights
The Charred (or simply Charred)
and obviously the baseline ones such as zombies and skeletons.

Also, I have an idea for undead and such. I'm gonna split them into tiers (or levels or whatever you wanna call them). 3 tiers of undead. 1 being the highest and 3 being the lowest. Tier 3s would be things like zombies, skeletons, and similar things. Tier 2 would be things like ghouls, wights, and stuff. Tier 1 is like true vampires, revenants, liches, etc. The higher the tier the undead the harder they are to summon and control. But also the more powerful they are. I would like to have the following kinds of undead. Specifics can be decided upon ChamomileHasWords ChamomileHasWords .
Wraiths
Wights
Liches
Vampires
Vampire Spawn
Ghouls
Ghasts
Hulking Terrors
Headless Knights
The Charred (or simply Charred)
and obviously the baseline ones such as zombies and skeletons.
Ooooooh damn, that reminds me, I might want to elaborate on the Yellow's effects on Sol(he doesn’t really “wield” magic, he is literally made from magic) and the Celestial Orders.
But i have a question, why are Wraiths so high?

Ooooooh damn, that reminds me, I might want to elaborate on the Yellow's effects on Sol(he doesn’t really “wield” magic, he is literally made from magic) and the Celestial Orders.
But i have a question, why are Wraiths so high?
The list of undead was not ordered by tier. Wraiths are tier 2.

So it would look something like this.
Tier 3 (The Lowley):
Zombies, Skeletons, animated body parts, etc.
Tier 2 (The Harrowers):
Wights, wraiths, ghouls, ghasts, vampire spawn, charred, etc.
Tier 1 (The Unbound):
True Vampires, Liches, Headless Knights, Hulking terrors, revenants, etc.

I did. I'm gonna make minor changes over time just to flow better and things. While other people are posting their articles (because I assume this is turn-based).

As per the interest check, the roleplay is actually kinda built around an irregular / inconsistent presence of members, so while maybe I would avoid posting too much or in a row, I don't think you're necessarily need to wait for everyone before posting (which is what I would think turn-based would imply).

Im gonna have illustrations for like all locations, creatures and such eventually.

As per the interest check, the roleplay is actually kinda built around an irregular / inconsistent presence of members, so while maybe I would avoid posting too much or in a row, I don't think you're necessarily need to wait for everyone before posting (which is what I would think turn-based would imply).
Still im gonna wait since I like just posted.

Alright. Im open to 1x1 rps between my character and others. Or group interactions.

Uh....is it okay for the "editor's photo" of Sol?
Cause I added once because it looks cool.

Yeah, that's fine. I wanna be really clear that images are not a problem, the problem is that adding illustrations to every single post, even of totally unexceptional creatures and locations, means both that the images will frequently be garbage and that it says a lot about a character's priorities when they don't add an illustration of something. And usually what it'll say is that they are a fictional character whose "illustrations" are all pulled from the front page of a Google Image search and this time there wasn't anything usable. Illustrations in every post is a major self-imposed challenge and CommanderNecro's first attempt is not really inspiring a ton of confidence in me that she's going to pull it off. I don't want my thread to end up as a dumping ground for a half-assed version of an idea that turns out to be way too much effort to do properly.

Astrophel drawing Solaire doesn't have that problem. It's not a commitment to meticulously document everything she encounters, it just means Astrophel felt like drawing Solaire and if she encounters something else weird and attention grabbing but decides not to draw it, then that makes perfect sense with her character.

This is correct, people should avoid double-posting but otherwise there is no specific posting order. I might have to impose a limit on posts-per-week if we get one person making every other post, but I'm going to give things a chance to just work themselves out naturally before I resort to making hard rules.

Last edited:
I finally got my painkillers(ow, surgery is mean) and I can type again. YAYYYY!

Added a phone version to my character sheet. It turned out to be a lot simpler a process and the workarounds I tried to find would go a bit to waste, but maybe I'll find some use for them sometime.

Yeah, that's fine. I wanna be really clear that images are not a problem, the problem is that adding illustrations to every single post, even of totally unexceptional creatures and locations, means both that the images will frequently be garbage and that it says a lot about a character's priorities when they don't add an illustration of something. And usually what it'll say is that they are a fictional character whose "illustrations" are all pulled from the front page of a Google Image search and this time there wasn't anything usable. Illustrations in every post is a major self-imposed challenge and CommanderNecro's first attempt is not really inspiring a ton of confidence in me that he's going to pull it off. I don't want my thread to end up as a dumping ground for a half-assed version of an idea that turns out to be way too much effort to do properly.

Astrophel drawing Solaire doesn't have that problem. It's not a commitment to meticulously document everything she encounters, it just means Astrophel felt like drawing Solaire and if she encounters something else weird and attention grabbing but decides not to draw it, then that makes perfect sense with her character.

This is correct, people should avoid double-posting but otherwise there is no specific posting order. I might have to impose a limit on posts-per-week if we get one person making every other post, but I'm going to give things a chance to just work themselves out naturally before I resort to making hard rules.
Do not call me a he please

Next post wont use images (since its mainly going to be spells)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back