• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Apocolyptic Victorian Fantasy

Obsidianserpent

Hello everyone! Would anyone be interested in a fantasy RP set in a post-apocalyptic Victorian world? In such a world there would exist fire-arms and limited technology, as well as magic and the occult. Here's what I have so far.

The continent of Tir was once dominated by the mighty empire of Mordova, the center of trade and innovation ruled by several noble families. Roughly a decade before the RP begins, a rift to the Seven Hells mysteriously opened within the center of the Empire's capital. Mordova was quickly brought to its knees by the demons which poured forth. The vast majority of humanity was wiped out, or reanimated as mindless undead. Those who were not slain or reanimated formed a series of enclaves which have struggled mightily to survive. One such enclave was made possible by the sacrifice of a Witch from the Serpens Coven. Offering up her own life force to fuel a powerful spell, she purged Ardor's Keep of its demonic invaders, and erected a protective ward which has protected the keep for years. Through her efforts, the enclave was able to establish a base of operations.

Recently the protective ward has begun to weaken however. An ancient orb known as the Eye of Heccubus possesses the power to strengthen the ward, and keep Ardor's Keep safe. However, the orb is in the possession of Alanzo the traitor, a former Priest of Edifus who burned his congregation alive within a cathedral, and made a dark pact with the Demon Lord Beleth in exchange for knowledge of the Seven Hells. The demon's influence eventually drove Alanzo mad however. The traitor now lives holed up with the abandoned Constantine Manor, conducting strange experiments within.

The RP would begin with the enclave being attacked, forcing our party to find Alanzo and retrieve the Eye of Heccubus.

Character creation would be pretty straightforward; you'd choose your weapon and mastery and design your own skills. Here's a list of some likely masteries. This list will likely change.

• Heavy Melee
  • Fast Melee
  • Engineering
  • Witchcraft
  • Priestcraft
  • Shadow Arts

Let me know if anyone is interested in this!

*Looking for literate RPers who are willing to post 2 paragraphs or so at least once a week.

I think this would be an interesting open world experience. I'm just want to know the limitations placed on magic arts in this universe. As well as the type of demons that the clan presently would know about. Also, what kind of society and culture took form in the Enclave?

I'm intrigued. I'll see where this goes before putting my head into it.

I'd probably locate myself somewhere, anywhere, between engineering, combat-style magic, and heavier melee. Probably somewhere between any two of those, or a middle of all three.

Last edited by a moderator:
@TheMadIceCreamMan ,magic is relatively uncommon and comes in a variety of forms. Priests channel divine magic through their devotion to a Patron Saint. Champions of the faith who martyr themselves, or make other great sacrifices for the church are immortalized within the 'halls of time', and become conduits for Edifus's power. Each saint represents a different aspect of the faith (obedience, wrath, etc.) and the powers bestowed upon the priest reflect that aspect. Priests can be extremely powerful but must continually perform extensive rituals or fast for days in order to prove their devotion.

Alchemists attempt to understand and manipulate the very foundations of reality. Through the use of complex symbols, substances, and alchemical formulas, they can transmute matter into a variety of forms. They can create a torrent of flame from a handful of sand, or transform a shield into a fragile piece of glass. Alchemy requires a great deal of intelligence and is traditionally the most respected form of magic. Before Mordova was destroyed, there existed several prestigious academies which studied the craft. Alchemy is perhaps the most physically destructive of the magical arts, but requires the use of spell components and can often be unpredictable and dangerous to the caster.

Sorcerers and Witches weave magic by manipulating their own spiritual energy and that of other living things. They have a heightened sensitivity to the presence of spiritual entities, and can traverse the spirit realms through the use of certain spells and magical artifacts. In ancient times those born with these spiritual gifts were called Shaman or Witch Doctor. Compared to Alchemy, Witchcraft is more intuitive, spiritual and based on natural ability than fierce intelligence. Witchcraft is generally less flashy than Alchemy as well. Witches don't create explosions or summon storms. Rather they weave enchantments and curses. They can enchant a blade, causing to to melt through armor, or curse an enemy, poisoning them or covering their entire body in hemorrhaging pox. They can also channel certain spiritual entities.

The Enclave has a strict code that it must adhere to in order to survive. Straying from the code can result in exile. The demons gain in power during the night, and as such things like curfew are taken extremely seriously. The enclave must struggle constantly to survive and everyone is expected to contribute as much as they can.

I still have some designing to do for this RP, but before I do, I want to see whether people are interested or not.

@Obsidianserpent

So it seems that Witches are the only natural human with access to innate magic skills. Furthermore it also seems that they have a profound effect of biological creatures by being able to inflict boils and sickness. Their closeness to the spiritual world seems to grant them unique skills.

It seems all humans have the ability to perform alchemy so long as they take the time to learn it. From what you have said it seems they use symbols that they create or learn which channel magic thus leading to profound affects of reality and physics even. I can certainly see how this would require a certain level of knowledge and why it can be dangerous if slight errors are made.

Priests unlike the alchemist do not channel magic through special symbols, but their magic seems given to them from other forces (Patron Saint? Halls of Time?) in return for their devotion. I'd imagine this would give them magic that only a priest could muster considering the source.

Is what I'm saying correct?

@TheMadIceCreamMan, that is correct. However, while it's true that anyone could in principle become an alchemist, it still requires a great deal of intelligence. Anyone can become an alchemist in the way that anyone can become a particle physicist.

With this knowledge I had some questions.

~Is it possible for a witch to gain access to divine magic by following the path of a Priest?

~I'd imagine a priest couldn't learn alchemy since they spend much of their time in fast or performing rituals to prove their devotion. Is this correct?

~Do Demons or people who work with the dark arts gain their magic from a force similar to how Priests gain their magic?

Witches and Alchemists cannot become priests for the reasons you mentioned; being a priest is very time consuming. Those who gain their magic through demon worship are incredibly powerful, but must continually offer human sacrifices in order to prove their devotion to a particular demon, and are thus shunned by human communities. Like patron saints, they worship one of the seven Arch-devils of hell, each representing a particular aspect. Demon worshipers typically go mad after a decade or so of practicing their craft.

@Obsidianserpent

Maybe there can be eight Arch-Demons. Each of them represent one of the seven deadly sins while the eighth can be representative of 'death' or the main dark being. What do you think?

Obsidianserpent said:
Witches and Alchemists cannot become priests for the reasons you mentioned; being a priest is very time consuming. Those who gain their magic through demon worship are incredibly powerful, but must continually offer human sacrifices in order to prove their devotion to a particular demon, and are thus shunned by human communities. Like patron saints, they worship one of the seven Arch-devils of hell, each representing a particular aspect. Demon worshipers typically go mad after a decade or so of practicing their craft.
is black magic shunned also?

BlackPlauged said:
is black magic shunned also?
It was shunned before the hell rift opened, largely because of the dominance of the Alchemist and Priest classes. Some enclaves still hold a grudge toward witchcraft, but most tolerate it, if not embrace it, as a powerful weapon against the demonic invaders.

Well, well, sign me up. You got me at 'Victorian demonic apocalypse'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back