• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Apocalypse World, anyone? (Closed)

Quincunx

inactive
Setting

Something's wrong with the world and I don't know what it is.

It used to be better, of course it did. In the golden age of legend, when there was enough to eat and enough hope, when there was one nation under god and people could lift their eyes and see beyond the horizon, beyond the day. Children were born happy and grew up rich.

Now that's not what we've got. Now we've got this. Hardholders stand against the screaming elements and all comers, keeping safe as many as they can. Angels and savvyheads run constant battle against there's not enough and bullets fly and everything breaks. Hocuses gather people around them, and are they protectors, saviors, visionaries, or just wishful thinkers? Choppers, gunluggers, and battlebabes carve out what they can and defend it with blood and bullets. Drivers search and scavenge, looking for that opportunity, that one perfect chance. Skinners and the maestro d' remember beauty, or invent beauty anew, cup it in their hands and whisper come and see, and don't worry now what it will cost you. And brainers, oh, brainers see what none of the rest of us will: the world's psychic maelstrom, the terrible desperation and hate pressing in at the edge of all perception, it is the world now.

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?

tl;dr A game about surviving a post-apocalyptic world where what you need is scarce and both the immediate and psychic landscape is treacherous. Tech level is varied, ranging from older things like radios, and futuristic things like medical and psychic technology, as well as things of varying quality like prosthetics. Weapons in particular are only up to present-day standards (crossbows, blades, guns that shoot bullets), with the exception of some psychic technology.

Characters

I'd be the GM (unless someone else has the handbook), controlling NPCs and making life challenging interesting. I'm looking for 3-5 players, who are a few people in it together against a world full of hostile elements and people. Playbooks (classes) include:

• Angel - a medic. In high demand around here, because battles are ugly.
  • Battlebabe - a pretty, dangerous person. Provocative and wicked social, as well as good with their weapons.
  • Brainer - a distrusted psychic weirdo who reads minds and works with the World's Psychic Maelstrom.
  • Chopper - leader of a biker gang. Starts with a bike and a gang, which means plenty of external power.
  • Driver - someone with a vehicle. Loose ties and the ability to go where they want.
  • Gunlugger - hardass hired gun. What they do is described as "simple, direct and violent."
  • Hardholder - a quasi-governor/warlord. Provides a serious, immobile home base, and has a lot of control.
  • Hocus - a religious leader. Comes with their own following. Described as "strange, social, public and compelling."
  • Maestro D' - owner of an establishment of some sort - restaurant, bar, club, drug den - that takes the edge off things.
  • Savvyhead - a techie who makes and fixes useful things. Comes with a workspace to work in, and psychic potential.
  • Skinner - an artist, performer, or other type who brings beauty to an ugly world. Social and capable of manipulating people.

Plot and Conflict

This is a character-driven game - the players' goal is to survive, collect resources, and try to get a good quality of life, and the GM's is to make those things both challenging and entertaining. The GM spends the first "session" (or in the case of forum RP, the first few pages of posts) setting up the world.

Gameplay

Gameplay is best described as a conversation between the players and the GM. There are rules that govern this conversation, and the things that make those rules kick in are called moves. Each character starts with a set of the same basic moves, plus a few unique to their playbook. These generally say, "Roll 2d6 and add your character's relevant stat's bonus/penalty. If the sum total is 6 or less, it's a miss. 7-9 is a hit. 10+ is a strong hit." That and the 6 stats are the extent of dice/numbers in the game.

If You're Interested

That's wonderful! Please comment below. Or if you have questions, I can answer those as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would love to join...

I think I might have a fanmade map ready soon aswell =D

That could be helpful! They only give the GM a "threat map" of encroaching bad things, not a physical one, so I think that would help get a feel for what things actually look like.

The Brainer sounds like me irl

weirdo...

distrusted...

social outcast...

I'd say that a Brainer fits with those =D

By the way who/what are the enemies?

There are several types of threats, including the landscape/climate, people the player characters know (warlords, groups of brutes, twisted "grotesque" humans), and afflictions in local populations. Some threats go with the characters themselves (for example, on the Maestro D's character sheet, at least one of their regulars is a threat). Specifically, I intend to create two or three afflicted local populations, plus a warlord who wants to encroach on where people are. All landscapes you traverse will also be some kind of threat. (The PDF goes into specifics on what kinds of threats there are and what their motives/impulses are; I would copy and paste from it, but that would take a bit due to formatting issues.)

EDIT: not to mention, World's Psychic Maelstrom could probably be counted as a necessary evil.

Last edited by a moderator:
So zombies but not zombies? More like humans that have twisted and deformed all thanks to nuclear fallout?

So zombies but not zombies? More like humans that have twisted and deformed all thanks to nuclear fallout?

Not quite. I could include zombies, but grotesques are fundamentally human - they just have an inhumane impulse like cannibalism, craving the pain of others, spreading disease, or something similarly ruinous.

Oh, okay.

Also, are there any major... research/containment companies in this roleplay not yet mentioned? I thought of adding one to my maps

Oh, okay.

Also, are there any major... research/containment companies in this roleplay not yet mentioned? I thought of adding one to my maps

Not quite. I would suggest keeping the map fairly simple for now; the world is really dependent on the characters (what surrounds the Savvyhead's workspace? where is the Maestro D's establishment?), so I will PM you about the map when all that is ironed out. Thanks again for making it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back