Other Any American history geeks here lol

My idea for a self-defense weapon is a grenade taped to the ends of a sledgehammer.

Ah, American History. So, where do I begin? The massacred Native Americans? The Japanese internment camps? The Two-Party system that makes America a flawed democracy and continues to push Democrats and Republicans into more radical ideologies? Or the illegal invasion of Hawaii? Or how most Republicans and Northerns didn't support the abolishment of slavery for moral reasons, but for economic ones (although a few actually did support it for moral reasons like Lincoln)? Or how after the American Civil War, the North controlled the South for a few years, then decided to hell with it, allowing Conservative Southerners to regain power and pass the Jim Crow laws. Or we can talk about how the existence of West Virginia, is technically illegal and is against the Consitution. Or how the electoral college wasn't designed for over 300 million people to vote but politicians don't bother to change or abolish it. And there's way more... What shall we begin with?

Ah, American History. So, where do I begin? The massacred Native Americans? The Japanese internment camps? The Two-Party system that makes America a flawed democracy and continues to push Democrats and Republicans into more radical ideologies? Or the illegal invasion of Hawaii? Or how most Republicans and Northerns didn't support the abolishment of slavery for moral reasons, but for economic ones (although a few actually did support it for moral reasons like Lincoln)? Or how after the American Civil War, the North controlled the South for a few years, then decided to hell with it, allowing Conservative Southerners to regain power and pass the Jim Crow laws. Or we can talk about how the existence of West Virginia, is technically illegal and is against the Consitution. Or how the electoral college wasn't designed for over 300 million people to vote but politicians don't bother to change or abolish it. And there's way more... What shall we begin with?
Uhh, The one where USS Cyclops went missing, I think

It's important to note the flaws in our American history but also to note American exceptionalism. America has more than its fair share of bad but also had more than its fair share of good. Do they balance each other out? Maybe. Depends on where you stand ideologically, probably.

It's important to note the flaws in our American history but also to note American exceptionalism. America has more than its fair share of bad but also had more than its fair share of good. Do they balance each other out? Maybe. Depends on where you stand ideologically, probably.
Oh, I know. As an American myself, I'm very proud of many achievements my country has committed. But I already know said achievements, when I was in school, that's what we mainly learned about. Of course, we did learn about some bad things, but not in as great of detail. Like, I remember when my teacher skipped a ton of wars and fights with Native Americans, that almost made entire tribes extinct. Although I understand why the education system isn't exactly fond of teaching some horrible things the United States has committed. But I do acknowledge the good in our history, after all, we wouldn't be a World Power today if we never tried.

Oh, I know. As an American myself, I'm very proud of many achievements my country has committed. But I already know said achievements, when I was in school, that's what we mainly learned about. Of course, we did learn about some bad things, but not in as great of detail. Like, I remember when my teacher skipped a ton of wars and fights with Native Americans, that almost made entire tribes extinct. Although I understand why the education system isn't exactly fond of teaching some horrible things the United States has committed. But I do acknowledge the good in our history, after all, we wouldn't be a World Power today if we never tried.

One of the critical failures of the United States and one of my largest criticisms is the complete failure in the public education system. The fact that my high school had an entire class (albeit, elective) dedicated to Native American history whereas other high schools may just breeze over that content is ridiculous. My high school did not even have a high concentration of Native Americans, nor Jews, yet we offered electives dedicated to the history of both. In fact, we had multiple courses dedicated to the Jewish people.

One of the critical failures of the United States and one of my largest criticisms is the complete failure in the public education system. The fact that my high school had an entire class (albeit, elective) dedicated to Native American history whereas other high schools may just breeze over that content is ridiculous. My high school did not even have a high concentration of Native Americans, nor Jews, yet we offered electives dedicated to the history of both. In fact, we had multiple courses dedicated to the Jewish people.
Ah, I'm jealous. My high school never had such options. If they did, I would've taken those classes.

But I do agree with the failure of the public education system. The whole system is based around an ideology from the industrial era, it's heavily outdated and it's ridiculous how no one has bothered to really do any effective changes yet.

Or how most Republicans and Northerns didn't support the abolishment of slavery for moral reasons, but for economic ones (although a few actually did support it for moral reasons like Lincoln)?
Fun Fact: Lincoln did not originally support the Civil War on the basis of Slavery. The only reason he fought it originally was to unify the US, but he later changed his views after several key Union victories and on the prompting by Fredrick Douglass.
I have a friend who grew up in the deep south and she often tells me of how effed up it is down there. They still teach the Civil War as it was about "states rights" and not over slavery.

Fun Fact: Lincoln did not originally support the Civil War on the basis of Slavery. The only reason he fought it originally was to unify the US, but he later changed his views after several key Union victories and on the prompting by Fredrick Douglass.
Oh, I knew that. And Lincoln also changed the goal of the war to slavery for another reason. European powers were dependent on Southern cotton, the South was the largest cotton producer in the world. Because the North was blockading the South, Europe wasn't getting their sweet cotton. And they started to shift towards the Confederates, even though no one joined the war, powers like Great Britain made and sold naval ships to the South. But since it the war changed to abolishing slavery, Great Britain and other powers never joined.
I have a friend who grew up in the deep south and she often tells me of how effed up it is down there. They still teach the Civil War as it was about "states rights" and not over slavery.
I can also confirm this. I've lived in South Carolina, a state in the deep South, for most of my childhood, and I remember in middle school, they taught us exactly that.

I can also confirm this. I've lived in South Carolina, a state in the deep South, for most of my childhood, and I remember in middle school, they taught us exactly that.
I live in SC, and I do agree with that. My Civic teacher decided to teach us about what really happened, just last semester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back