Anime & Manga Anime Recommendations

Fable

₮ⱧɆ ₥Ɏ₮Ⱨ, ₮ⱧɆ ⱠɆ₲Ɇ₦Đ, ₮ⱧɆ ₣₳฿ⱠɆ
Administrator
Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I know, I know.  There are a TON of other threads like this one.  But I am interested in specific types of anime... and as of late I cannot find anything to hold my interest.  I am currently look for slice of life, romance, shoujo, types of anime where there are actual romance scenes or fluff.  Many seem to mostly just put that stuff in the background as a humor aspect rather than the focus.  I've turned to manga to fill this void, but I'd love to find an anime I can watch.

So, shoot me some recommendations.  I'd prefer something more modern, but I'm fine with older animes as well.

Re: Life is quite a funny and interesting one. It's a slice of life one with some plot twist.

Shigatsu Wa Kimi No Uso possess some amazing soundtrack and a wonderful Slice of life / Romance story !

I haven't watched anime since high school so I don't have too many recs, but have you ever watched princess jellyfish?? It's ridiculously cute. If you haven't seen it I would recommend it! Although it's only one season, so once you finish the anime you'd have to read the manga to find out what happens next! But it's so cute and funny. 

The old Berserk series. Sure it looks old and uses a lot of stills trust me you will absolutely love it if you love deep characters and dark plots. If you want after that you can watch the three movies then the new 2016 anime. The old series is all on YouTube legally because it is old

Slice of Life and Romance...My two favorites by far are Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru, which is about an antisocial high school guy with a distorted view of romance and life in general, and Kokoro Connect, which is about a group of friends that are put through some strange situations, the first being them switching bodies. In my opinion, these are must-watch anime for the Slice of Life genre.

There is also Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, which is about a group of six childhood friends who grew apart in highschool. The only one of them who didn't change requests that the main character bring them all together again. I'm not much for emotional stories, but if you are, then you'll like this. Be prepared.

Edit : Another one, which has been a while since I've watched, is called Eve no Jikan, which involves robots in a futuristic society and the issues caused by people who got too attached to them.

Edit2 : One that's got a bit more comedy in it is Mayo Chiki! , which is about a butler that dresses and acts like a boy but is actually a girl, and they do so because she'd lose her job if someone in their school found out.

I'm afraid the Shoujo genre and I don't quite see eye to eye that much for me to have meaningful suggestions...

Last edited by a moderator:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/22/Romance

There's a huge collection of anime romance here, it's good for finding a handful of interesting anime. (: As for my own personal recommendations for what you're looking for (Slice of Life / Romance / Shoujo) 

Ouran High School Host Club
This anime is both a romance and a shoujo. It's a popular anime that focuses on a girl having to dress up as a boy (and work as a host) to repay for a fancy vase she broke. 

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!

This anime is a comedy and slice of life that focuses on a girl who is trying to become popular and get a boyfriend even though she's an actual dork and otaku. 

Ore Monogatari!!

A cute romance story (legit you get to the romance almost instantly) between a boy who is a giant and not your ideal shoujo manga male but has a giant heart and the girl who fell for him. 

I haven't watched anime since high school so I don't have too many recs, but have you ever watched princess jellyfish?? It's ridiculously cute. If you haven't seen it I would recommend it! Although it's only one season, so once you finish the anime you'd have to read the manga to find out what happens next! But it's so cute and funny. 

Yeah I've already watched Princess Jellyfish, loved it~

https://myanimelist.net/anime/genre/22/Romance

There's a huge collection of anime romance here, it's good for finding a handful of interesting anime. (: As for my own personal recommendations for what you're looking for (Slice of Life / Romance / Shoujo) 

Ouran High School Host Club
This anime is both a romance and a shoujo. It's a popular anime that focuses on a girl having to dress up as a boy (and work as a host) to repay for a fancy vase she broke. 

Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!

This anime is a comedy and slice of life that focuses on a girl who is trying to become popular and get a boyfriend even though she's an actual dork and otaku. 

Ore Monogatari!!

A cute romance story (legit you get to the romance almost instantly) between a boy who is a giant and not your ideal shoujo manga male but has a giant heart and the girl who fell for him. 

I've seen OHSHC and the thing with myanimelist that I've found is many will add the romance genre.. but when I watch the series... there's none.  :\

i would recommend your lie in april. i haven't seen it all myself, but i'm enjoying it so far and i've heard good reviews. 

Since you prefer shoujo, I recommend Lovely Complex, Ookami Shoujo to Kurou Ouji, Kaichou Wa Maid-sama, and Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun.

Okay kid's :3

Just gonna interject reaaal quick-like! >:3

If iyashikie aka slice-of-life is what you want then : Aria the animation (52 eps + OVAs), K-on! (You've prob seen it), Natsume's book of friends (52 eps),Hidamari sketch (46 eps + OVAs) and READ DO NOT WATCH Genshiken(Manga surpasses anime by football fields)

Romance your thing? Noooo problemo! : His and her circumstances (26 eps), I can't understand what my husband is saying (Rom com but it's brilliant) and Torodora.(There are loads more but I'm trying to be picky here)

Want teen-drama level stuff? Ef a tale of memories

Want Adult-contemp? Welcome to NHK, Shirobako, Honey and Clover 

I can list some for almost all genres but there you go :3

Seconding Kare Kano as well as Honey and Clover, although the latter is more josei than shoujo. It's still entertaining and good for the fluff cravings. In terms of manga, anything Tanemura Arina should fulfil any shoujo cravings. Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Shinshi Doumei Cross remain my favorites of hers, although the latter's plotline does get really convoluted and weird hahaha.

Unfortunately I'm a shounen, sports and josei obsessed brat so I don't know too many in the shoujo realm. D':

For romance, I recommend Sukitte ii na yo (Say I love you), it's a romance anime that deals with sensitive topics, and it's also very sweet. Another anime is called Isshuukan Friends (One Week Friends), it's a very cute and innocent anime (except for a few of the last episodes which go a bit darker), but it focuses on friendship a lot more than romance.

If you want a calm slice of life about rural Japan, there's Non Non Biyori! If you want school life anime which will make you laugh til you cry, there's Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou and Nichijou!

I tend to prefer action over romance/slice-of-life/emotional stuff but I think I can pull out a few recs:

Ookami-san and her Seven Companions/Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakamatachi. It's by the same people as Toradora (which I see has been rec'ed a lot here--I haven't watched it yet myself) and follows a shy, scopophobic boy attempting to overcome his issues to stand by the side of his crush, who appears to be extremely tough and self-reliant, but is actually using a brash personality to mask her own insecurities. The characters and episode plots have fairy tale motifs and it was really heartwarming watching Ryouko and Ryoushi grow.

AnoHana, which was also rec'ed above, which is about a group of friends who went their separate ways following the accidental death of their friend and said friend's attempts to bring them together again. I start to tear up just thinking about it ;~;

Angel Beats makes me cry no matter how many times I watch it. It's about a group of kids in the afterlife. The main character can't remember anything about himself besides his last name, and someone would like to thank him for donating his organs after he died, even if it didn't help much in the end...

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu is a fun one to cheer up after watching all this sad stuff, aha. It's a silly series about a class full of idiots and their attempts to improve their class's conditions for the main character's crush, who's way too smart to be in that class but was put in on a technicality at first, and then stayed because she liked the people in it.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is another fun one! The main character attempts to confess to her crush, only for him to mistake her for a fan--turns out, he's a pretty popular shoujo mangaka! And she winds up becoming part of his art team instead! The characters are wacky and tons of fun.

Also gonna second Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou/Daily Lives of High School Boys, a ridiculous sketch comedy about, well, the daily lives of high school boys.

Kiznaiver is about a group of wildly different high school students who are forcibly bonded together through their wounds and, as a result, wind up bonding emotionally as well... after a few dramatic romance issues. Also, it's animated by Studio Trigger--idk if you pay attention to who makes the series or not but Trigger sticks to a couple of really distinct art styles that I love a lot, so an anime being one of theirs is always a huge plus for me, at least.

Space Patrol Luluco is another Trigger series. Each episode is less than 10 minutes long and it's really ridiculous and basically just "hey, how many references to our other series can we pack into this" haha. Basically, an ordinary girl's father gets frozen and in trying to help him she accidentally joins a police-like group called the Space Patrol and is partnered with a cute boy named Alpha Omega Nova, who seems completely oblivious to her crush on him.

Also, it's sorta straddling the line between shoujo and shounen but, Kyoukai no Kanata! It's about a girl who's been hired to find a way to kill an immortal half-youmu boy about her age, but ends up falling for him instead and trying to find a way to save him. I love this series a lot,, (mild TW because of Hiroomi, who has a completely one-sided crush on his younger sister)

I looove Kamisama Hajimemashita :3 It's definitely one of my favourites! I highly recommend it. 

Mirai Nikki (Future Diary)

+ Interesting Plot & Concept

+ Always keeps you thrilled

+ You constantly want more

+ Good character development

+ Amazing romance story that involves a Yandere

[+-?] Will most likely make you cry at the end

[+-?] Does not have a satisfying ending, unless you watch OVA, then it's... well, pretty average.

- The protagonist is a little wuss at the start - It's honestly a little annoying at first

- Makes you feel like the plot is progressing too fast

- Has some Shounen moments

Charlotte

++ A new anime, you yourself said you prefer modern stuff

+ Some Slice of Life aspects, but it's more of a Shounen than Shoujo

+ Good, steady plot progression

+ Rather common, yet interesting plot idea

+ The comedy is absolutely brilliant

Satisfying\Somewhat sad ending

+ There's romance at the later parts of the anime

[+-?] The protagonist is the classic case of "the special person that is more special than other special people"

- The protagonist is a real douche at the start - Might make you cringe\feel angry\etc. He gets better and kinder later on

NouCome

+ Amazing story

+ You won't believe how many times I laughed at the comedy

+ Harem romance

+ The protagonist does a lot of stupid and funny things

+ Lots of running gags and alternate choices

- The ending is extremely unsatisfying. We are left wondering and contemplating a lot of things

If you're into martial arts, Baki the Grappler, Dragon Ball Z, and Fist of the North Star.

For romance, it's hard to beat Rosario Vampire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back