• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern Anchored for Love

The last thing Amelia wanted was to leave Isabel behind. She didn’t want to leave her in her shadow. Isabel was never supposed to live in a shadow after Amelia pulled her out. If we don’t make it out of this together, I’ll regret everything I put Isabel through for the rest of my life. Was the last thought Amelia had before she lost her stream of consciousness.

In London, Jayden took over both the mother and father roles since Amelia had been gone. Getting their daughter ready for school and leaving Lincoln with the nanny, before he carries himself off to a busy day at work. In the hectic busses of his work day, he didn’t have much time to realize his wife had yet to call him to let him know she was okay. Next month they would be married for a year, and by now, Jayden knew better than to let himself strenuously worry about where his wife was or what she was doing because he would worry them both. Today something in the air was different though. He knew when his assistant came running into a corporate meeting without a polite excusal something was wrong. Gabrielle’s brunette hair that was usually neatly slicked back into a neat ponytail, not a strand out of place, had more than a few strands out of place on both sides. Jayden also noticed she rubbed her top lip nearly raw from rubbing it against her two front teeth, something had been waring on her all morning when she finally spoke, all eyes on her for bursting through the glass doors unannounced, her elegant accent cracked as she only kept her eyes on Jayden

“Mr. Acciolli, you need to come with me, it’s an emergency.”

Dawson was sitting in the living room with his son when he felt his whole chest caved in. The pilot was sipping his morning coffee in his freshly pressed uniform while Asher ate his mixed fruit, this was the boys usual morning routine when Isabel was away. They always watched Asher’s favorite cartoon before his father dropped him off at the Ranch for Malinda to watch her grandson until Dawson returned to pick him later. For now, Asher still wasn’t walking so he was pretty easy to contain, but it was only a matter of time before all hell would brake loose when the mischievous little boy found his footing. “Is it good?” Dawson asked as he flipped through the channels to find Asher’s show bud stopped when he saw the most disturbing headline. “Two American journalists missing from their French hotel.”

SlAt the urgency in Gabrielle’s voice, Jayden felt his stomach churning. He knew this meeting was important but what his assistant had to say was more important. Standing, He smoothed out his grey suit and fixed his tie. “Excuse me, gentlemen. We will continue this meeting at a later date.” He said curtly, walking out of the conference room as his heart began to beat uncontrollably in his chest. Hearing people whisper as they walked to his office, Jayden instantly knew something happened to Amelia. That’s the only reason the whispers would occur. Opening his doors aggressively, he grabbed the remote to his tv, clicking it on. He saw the same headline Dawson did in that very moment and his entire body went cold. There was no way this could be happening. “Gabrielle, I need intel on Amelia’s last whereabouts. I need to know if she and Isabel were seen in the public eye within the last 24 hours.”

“About that, Mr. Acciolli, I received a phone call from a hospital in France. All they told me was an older woman found her laying in the street. She called for help and Amelia is now being treated at the hospital. I asked about Isabel but they know nothing.”

Jayden felt relief overtake his entire body. Amelia was in a hospital. She was safe and being taken care of. Though he was relieved, he knew Dawson would be losing his mind right now. Isabel hadn’t been found so he made the call to Dawson, telling him to come to London and leave Asher with Malinda. Having him here would be better than America. He would be closer to France and Jayden was going to do all he could to try and find a way to get Isabel. They were all in this together. He wasn’t going to let Dawson suffer.

Twenty-four hours had past and all Isabel could remember from the day before was her blood-curling screams. Her entire body felt weak, and her muscles ached tremendously. She felt heat radiating against her body and she realized she was in a different room. A room with a window. Jump out. Slowly rising from the floor, she walked towards the window, looking out and realized she was up too high to jump. “Dammit.” She muttered out loud to herself but she cried out in pain when she felt hands grab her hair and pull her back. “Please stop.” She pleaded, her eyes meeting one of the men that worked for her captor. She couldn’t be strong anymore. She was so close to breaking but she couldn’t give up. Feeling his hands roam her body, she screamed out for help. Not again. Dawson please come find me. Before anything could increase, the door was knocked open and all Isabel heard was policemen speaking French. Laying on the floor again, Isabel closed her eyes. She couldn’t think about anything in her state of unconsciousness.

Blinding white light. Severe cold. Isabel felt a blistering rush of wind knock her down, only to seep into snow. “Where am I?” Isabel asked herself, reaching out to catch a snowflake within her hand. “The snow is always so beautiful.” She whispered, walking through it slowly, eventually finding herself with trees surrounding her and a beautiful lake before her that had frozen over. She remembered this. It was Dawson’s spot on the ranch. Their spot. “Dawson.” Reaching out towards the sunset, Isabel smiled gently. “I’m sorry, Six.” But before the warmth could comfort her, she felt another hand grab her own, pulling her away. Blinking, she came face to face with Josie. She was even more beautiful in person. “What’re you doing?” Isabel asked her gently, shutting her eyes when Josie’s hand patted her head. “It’s not your time, Isabel. I can’t let you leave him. I made sure he found you and now, he can’t lose you.” She said gently. “But why?” Isabel was so confused. “Because I love him. I know my death wrecked him. I gave up my life for my students because I loved what I did. Here you are, on the verge of dying. You won’t die, but if you did, he’d be crushed. I can’t let you leave him. Not when you gave him what I couldn’t. Asher’s a precious little boy. He deserves both his parents.” Pushing Isabel forward, the scene of snow began to fade and Isabel saw nothing but darkness once more. “Please, love him like he should be loved. Show him the world and never let him go.”

As the scene faded, tears streamed down her cheeks. Josie saved her life for Dawson. How could she continue to hate her when she did? The answer was simple, she couldn’t. Slowly opening her eyes, her hands twitched with life. Groaning out from the pain once more, Isabel’s eyes landed on her pilot, laying next to her. Was it all finally over? Trying to find the strength, she was able to give his hand a squeeze, smiling when he woke up. When their eyes met one another’s, she couldn’t stop the tears that fell down her cheeks. “Six.” She said softly, slowly reaching out for him to take him in a hug but pulled back in pain. Hearing a knock on the door, Isabel smiled at the sight of Jayden. She was free. This was real. “Where’s Amelia? She made it out right? Where is she?” She asked, siting up as quick as her body would allow. She felt sluggish and she knew it was the drugs given to her. They hadn’t left her bloodstream.

“Amelia is fine, Bel. She’s in the room next door recovering. She told me what you did. I don’t know whether to call it brave or stupid.” He said with a chuckle.

“Maybe a bit of both. I’m glad she’s fine. Please make sure she knows what I said that day wasn’t true. Please make sure she knows I love her and I’m not living in her shadow.”

“Relax, Isabel. The two of you are safe now. That’s what matters. Amelia will stop by when she can.” The businessman reassured her before patting Dawson on the shoulder and walked back out.

Looking over to Dawson, Isabel smiled weakly at him but she saw anger in his eyes. Anger towards Amelia. “Please don’t be upset. This isn’t her fault. I wanted to come on this assignment. It was my idea. Please don’t be mad. Please.” She whispered rapidly, tears streaming down her face again but when he inched to cup her face, she flinched. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry I put you through this. I’m sorry. Never again.”

Leaving Isabel’s room, Jayden wiped the fake grin off his face. Internally he was panicking but he agreed to put on a facade at Dawson’s threatening request. After all, Isabel had a better chance of making it out alive than Amelia did after what the two courageous women endured. Jayden didn’t need to deteriorate Isabel’s condition anymore by telling her the truth that it might be too late to help her best friend. Jayden knew Isabel would do nothing but blame herself and that’s not something anyone needed to deal with right now. Walking back into Amelia’s room to find her still nearly lifeless, Jayden composed himself long enough to take her hand again, but when he felt how numbingly cold she felt against his own comfortably warm skin, the once strong hard to break, lieutenant unleashed his sorrowful sob, falling to his knees at her bed side. This woman was his wife, she was supposed to be the woman he spent the rest of his natural life with. Next month, they were supposed to celebrate their first wedding anniversary. It was unfathomable to Jayden that after four years of reassuring his wife she didn’t do herself wrong by letting him into her life, now that everything was the way it was supposed to be after Amelia had been so uncertain for so long, that she might not make it out of this one and he wouldn’t get the chance to love her the way he always hoped she would let him. “I can’t lose you now...” he whispered gently, lifting his head, not letting go of her hand. “Please don’t leave me now. What am I supposed to tell our kids. They’re still precious babies who need their mother, Amelia please, I can’t do this without you. Please. Wake up. Please. You’re all I have. You promised. Isabel needs you too. If you can’t wake up for me, do it for her. I know I can never compete with her, she’s already been through enough my love, don’t do this to her too.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Amelia, you know she didn’t mean what she said, she was just trying to protect you.”

“She’s not supposed to protect me! I’m supposed to protect her! You know that. She was never supposed to be a shadow.” Amelia protested in her delusion form to the sacred presence before her. She wasn’t entirely sure what this was, if felt more vivid than a freak but not frightening enough to be anywhere near approaching her death. It was peaceful, though she noticed a flow surrounding her presence, even though she couldn’t see it, a sixth sense gave her the intuition to know it was there. “I’m sorry I failed you, I know all you ever wanted me to be was the person she deserved.”

“Amelia, you’ve done far from fail me,” the angel whispered into her delicate ear. His wings casting a comforting Security over her. It should have been strange to her, but instead it brought her great comfort. “Don’t you understand? Yes, she needs someone like you in her life, and she’s always going to need you in her life, but that’s not the only reason you’re in her life.” Looking to the angel confused, Amelia stuttered at her next question, but looked on in disbelief as another angel appeared, this one being her own guardian angel and not Isabel’s.

“Hello my dear.” The man whispered just as delicately, his own wings just as breath taking as the others, making Amelia’s feeling of serenity even stronger.

“Hello,” Amelia replied, having the strong urge to cry but the same instinct that told her she was glowing told her tears were nonexistent in this form.

Reaching for her face, Amelia’s grandfather cupped her face in admiration, his expression gleaming with pride. “You turned out to be everything I hoped you would be, but miss not your time.”

“Why not?” Amelia asked helplessly, wanting to fall into the only man that every fully adored her from her first breath until his last.

“Because, I didn’t give you someone who is capable to love you as much as I do on Earth for you to leave her so soon, my darling dear.”

It was in that moment that Amelia finally came to understand as much as she knew she was supposed to protect and care for Isabel, Isabel was equally as destined to do the same for her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Isabel, she left you there to die. You gave her the opportunity to run and she took it. I would have hoped that she would have stayed behind to help you just as you would for her. I have every right to be resentful towards Amelia for her selfish decision in such a time of chaos and uncertainty, but we aren’t going to talk about that, right now. It’s the last thing you need.” Dawson whispered against his wife’s hand, his own eyes blurry with concerned tears for his beloved wife. “I never agreed with this international scheme anyway. I’m glad you’re over it. I’m so relieved you’re alright.”

Listening to what Dawson had to say made Isabel become angry. How could he say such things when he knew how much Amelia meant to her? His touch felt sickening because of those words. It felt so disgusting she slowly slipped her hand away from his and didn’t utter a word after she did. She merely stared at her lap before closing her eyes, taking a deep breath to calm herself. Give him the love he deserves. Was all Isabel heard in that moment. She knew Josie was right. He deserved so much and she wanted to give it all to him but she couldn’t when he was so angry with Amelia. “It wasn’t how you’re making it seem.” Isabel whispered gently, continuing to stare at her lap after opening her eyes. “She didn’t just up and run while leaving me to die. I forced her to, Dawson. She wouldn’t leave me. She didn’t budge until I pulled her up to stand and pushed her out. Plus, I said some hurtful things. I broke her. I broke her in a time of such chaos all I could hope for in that moment was making sure she made it out. Had it been you, I would’ve done the same.” She said simply, not saying anything more for awhile as the room fell silent. Feeling his hand hold hers once more, she didn’t pull away, but she didn’t lace their fingers either. “Does mom have Asher? I miss him.” She said gently, looking over to him. She saw the tags. She knew he wore them when he flew for comfort and Isabel didn’t mind. Not anymore at least. Reaching to touch them, she let out a deep breath. “I’m glad she brings you comfort. She’s the reason I found you. She’s a beautiful woman, Six. Told me all about how much she loved you. I made her a promise and I intend to keep it.” She whispered faintly, leaning over her bed so her head rested in the crook of his neck. Cupping the other side with her hand, she stayed like that as she drifted off to sleep. His scent filling her nostrils was all she remembered as she fell asleep.

When Jayden was told the following morning Amelia was making a recovery, his entire body rushed with joy. Holding Amelia’s hand in his own, he kissed it gently, breathing out a sigh of relief. “Thank you for not leaving us.” He whispered softly, leaning over her to kiss her head before he got up to check up on Isabel. Smiling when he found her sleeping, Jayden told Dawson the news, feeling the tension in the air. “Amelia didn’t want to run, Dawson. If you truly believe Amelia would leave your wife there to die then you don’t know Amelia at all.” Sighing gently, he walked out of the room and back to his wife’s, not leaving her side once as he waited for her to wake up. When she did, he was quick to cup her face and kiss her gently. “Hi, beautiful. I’m so happy you decided to join us.”

Waking up shortly after Jayden left her room, Isabel smiled at Dawson lovingly. “Hi, handsome.” She whispered softly but feeling his hand graze near her hip caused her to push back a lump in her throat as she flinched away. “I’m sorry. Baby steps for now, please.” She whispered faintly, not knowing how Dawson would ever love her again. If he knew what they did to her, how they used her, he would never want to touch her again. “When do I get out of here?” She asked with a giggle to lighten the mood, leaning over to kiss him gently.

After her guardianship intervention, Amelia felt herself become so overwhelmed with emotion it was indescribable. Her emotions were so strong, they were almost depleting, giving her the desire to want to combust; but right before she thought she was going to, she felt a familiar warmth overtake her while she “fell” back into her body. Before she opened her eyes, Amelia hears someone else’s breathing other than her own. At first she laid there for awhile, her eyes clamped shut to avoid wherever she was and whoever she was with. It wasn’t until she felt his wedding band graze her palm that Amelia knew who she was with. Jayden. Opening her eyes, she labored a heavy breath, she didn’t even have time to acclimate from her daze before her husband pulled her into a kiss. Not having much of a choice m, Amelia accepted it but she still remained in legitimate shock when he pulled away she took another heavy breath, feeling a burning sensation in her throat from all the chemicals she confused. The struggle to breathe, sent her into a panic as the sound of her ragged horse breaths echoed eerily throughout the room. I don’t want to die like this. She thought, I thought it wasn’t my time. Watching Jayden run out in a panic to try and find help, the journalist didn’t find herself at ease until a doctor placed a breathing tube down her throat. The worst part about the scene for her was not the frightening panic she felt but watching Jayden panic in the corner of the room because he didn’t understand what was happening to his wife.

“What happened to you?” Dawson asked rather bluntly. That wasn’t his intention but the moment she flinched away from his touch, a million of the worst possibilities of what could have happened to Isabel plagued his already distraught mentality. What did they do to you for you to end up here so broken? The pilot wondered. “Don’t answer that,” Dawson quickly added before Isabel could respond. The pilot who was taught to have steady hands even during times of distress was trembling and near tears for the countless times since he saw the dreaded headline. Heaving a sigh, Dawson looked up to Isabel with nothing but uncertainty. “I don’t know when we get to go home my love, but I’ll be here until we do. I’m not leaving here without you.”

Jayden didn’t know what was happening to his wife. Watching the doctors insert a breathing tube into Amelia was more than enough to send Jayden into a panic. She couldn’t be dying. Not when they said she was going to recover and woke up. Standing in the corner while shaking uncontrollably, Jayden looked away from his wife for a split second before he was asked to step outside for a moment. Looking Amelia in the eye, he smiled weakly at her before he walked out and sat in one of the chair against the wall in the hallway. “Please, Amelia. Don’t leave me.” Jayden whispered softly to himself, leaning forward with his elbows against his knees and his face buried within his hands. Fighting the tears that brimmed his face, Jayden released a shuddered sigh before looking at his wedding band. If he lost his wife, he wouldn’t know what to do with himself.

Flinching at Dawson’s question, Isabel bit her lip before looking away and to the window. You would hate me if you knew. She was going to answer until Dawson told her not too. She knew her husband wouldn’t be able to handle it. Not right now. She couldn’t tell him because she knew he would leave. He would hate her just like her captor said. She was thinking irrationally but Dawson saying he wasn’t leaving here without her brought her out of the daze. Turning to meet her husbands gaze, Isabel smiled gently and nodded, taking his hand in hers. “I’m glad you’re staying. I don’t think I could get through my time here without you next to me.” She whispered softly, closing her eyes before she opened them again. The cool metal of her husbands wedding brand is what brought her comfort until now. Now, she was in tears because of it, crying her heart out as she tried to catch her breath. He’s going to hate me. “I’m sorry.” Isabel whispered faintly, repeating it over and over. “I’m so sorry, Dawson. Please don’t leave me. Please.” Her pleads became desperate and when he pulled her close, she tensed at his touch. Resting her hands against his chest, she tried to match his breaths, slowly calming her breathing before she looked at him. “You’d hate me if you knew what happened. You’d hate me. I’m sorry.” She whispered, putting her head against his chest as she tried to hide her face. “I’m sorry, Six.”

Sitting in the chair, his hands still resting uncomfortably against his knees, Jayden only dug the bend of his forearm deeper into his knee cap. For some strange reason, the feeling of his elbow crushing his joint made him ponder the idea that he was closer to Amelia. As long as she was in pain, he would be too. His mind was starving for the woman who bestowed upon him the deepest kind of love. The kind that burned the pit of his stomach both in her passion and her in misery; it all depended on the emotion that gave way through her eyes when she looked to him. Jayden always knew how to tell how his wife was feeling. When her eyes were soft and shined with admiration for him, the burning was acute and gave Jay the same warmth that coursed through a shivering body in the dead cold, unforgiving winter when that same body found the comfort of a welcoming fire, it’s blaze strong, fulfilling the responsibility to stay warm. Amelia’s soul kept Jayden’s cozy in her gaze when he knew she loved him. Unlike now, when the fire burning in the pit of his weak stomach was so unbearable, he swore it was damaging enough to scorch the inner lining of his stomach, incapacitating him just by witnessing his wife’s hurt. Amelia gave Jayden the cursed love, the kind a man as soft and kind as Jayden would never even have the chance to recover from if he lost her. Her soul was far too exquisite for Jayden to discover again and a force much grander than himself gave him this insight from the first time their hands briskly touched one another’s in a hurried passing.

That April morning in the bustling city, the air was fresh and sweet, the cherry blossoms bloomed just a few days before lacing the sidewalks in unintentional intricate patterns of blush petals, all waiting to be picked up by the wind. The fallen petals were contagious to the streets Jayden walked to get to his small coffee shop. Still dressed in his heavy uniform, he wasn’t sure why he paid so much attention to the cherry blossom petals compared to any other day. He had walked up and down these same streets more times than he could count in the last seven years and never gave these basically meaningless petals any thought. Until now. Why?

Pacing himself into the cafe, he found himself in line, his tan hands tucked into his uniform pockets while he eyes wandered mindlessly to the menu, even though he already knew what he was going to order. He had just spent the night before on the night shift with Nick and he needed his morning caffeine rush and a plain bagel with cream cheese to become half alive again. Rehearsing the order in his head, Jayden kept his hands in his pockets, shifting his weight to his left side, he instinctively kept his eye on the door. Off duty was just a loose term that never had actual meaning to it. That’s when Amelia walked in.

Looking back on it more than once, Jayden thought he was quick to notice her because of their encounter the night before in the police station, but now he realized before he even could comprehend who the woman was at the door, and that he vaguely knew her, he noticed the rouge cherry blossom petal that clung to a strand of her strawberry blonde hair despite the rush she was in. He noticed she was beautiful.

The next time he would see cherry blossoms hide in Amelia’s hair was their wedding day when Isabel incorporated them into an elegant up-do for their big day. Everything about Amelia was so sweet on their wedding day, she dropped sweet smells of honey blossom and coconut. The memory of her sweet scent is what kept Jayden sane right now. He didn’t want to remember his wife beaten and bruised in a country that wasn’t even their own. Right now, Jayden felt as though he failed his wife as her husband and her sweet cherry blossom smell is what gave him peaceful silence, even if only for a millisecond.

In the other room, Dawson watched his own wife go berserk from the secretive trauma she endured on her foolish assignment. In the years the two had been together, Dawson learned there were only two types of assignments. Those meant for the amateur, and those meant for the daredevils. It was easy to tell which one Isabel was and as her husband, Dawson really wished she was just an amateur. Hearing her desperate pleas made the pilot’s head rumble, a spontaneous ringing erupting from his over-sized ear drums. Who hurt you? I want to kill them with my bare hands! “Amor, listen to me, please. None of this is your fault. I promise. What happened to you was out of your control and you did everything you could to stop it. You’re a survivor. You are not responsible for being mistreated. You’re not tainted. You’re still my wife and I love you. Do you understand me?” Avoiding his gentleman-like ways to cup Isabel’s face and embrace her into his arms, Dawson refrained not wanting to trigger her after her horrific experience of being kidnapped and used as a bargaining chip. “You’re safe now, I’m not going to let anyone hurt you anymore. You’re with me and we’re going to get through this together. No matter what it takes, I’m not leaving you.”

Shaking her head, Isabel sat up in her bed, letting the memories of what occurred to continue playing in her head. She pulled her knees up against her chest as she curled into a ball. Never in her life had she been so broken before. Feeling the nasty, grimy hands of her captor and his followers over her body made her want to puke. Shaking as she allowed the memories to take her hostage, she continued to whisper she was sorry. “You’ll leave me, Dawson. I know you will. If you knew what happened, you wouldn’t want to be anywhere near me. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry I couldn’t keep my promises to you. I’m so utterly sorry.” She explained, refusing to lay back down when her nurse came back in the room to fix her iv. Her machine was now going off not because it needed to be refilled but because she was blocking the fluid from flowing through with the way her arms were. Feeling the nurse try to touch her, Isabel flinched away, hitting away the nurses hand in the process. “Don’t touch me.” She pleaded but when she felt cool metal against her skin, she soon regretted what she did. Apologizing to the nurse she looked to Dawson and the arm he extended so the fluids could flow. “Six.” She whispered before curling up once more, leaving the arm with her iv straight but the rest of her body leaned against Dawson. “Please don’t leave me.”

A week passed since the two missing journalists had been recovered from their captor. The Frenchman and his men were brought down and taken into French prison, which was all Isabel could hope for. Waking up, Isabel noticed it was cloudy outside, allowing no rays of sun to sleep through. It made the room look gloomy but Isabel didn’t mind. The rain always brought her comfort. Noticing Dawson was asleep, she smiled gently but wished to see Amelia. The wall separating them was killing her and she needed to know if she was okay. She’s never going to talk to you again, Isabel. Give it up. Knowing this was true, Isabel but down on her lip as she cried for the millionth time. She lost track of how many times she had. “I’m sorry for what I said, Melia.” She whispered to herself, wiping the tears when Dawson woke. She smiled gently at him when he did, gripping his hand tightly. She was ready to go home and see her son. “Has Jayden told you anything about Amelia?” She asked with a hopeful expression, but knew Dawson wouldn’t tell her anything. The photojournalist knew he was angry with Amelia still and would continue to be. None of this was her best friends fault, though. None of it. “Please tell me something. It’s killing me not knowing, Dawson Nicholas.”

When Dawson woke,he greeted Isabel with their new squeeze of the hand. “Good morning,” he whispered softly while the rain patterned against the thin hospital windows. Yawning, Dawson rubbed his crusty eyes with his free hand, stopping his lengthy fingers at the bridge of his nose at his wife’s questions. It’s always Amelia. Blinking, Dawson curved one of his fingers into his right eye to removed the crust. “Isabel, I don’t know anything about Amelia. I haven’t asked,” the pilot surrendered in a heavy quick breath to let his irritation be known. “I’ve been too concerned for you, my wife. Amelia is Jayden’s concern and responsibility and you’re mine. That’s how it goes.” Pulling Isabel’s stiff blankets back to her chest, he looked to her in displeasure when she turned away from him. “Isabel! Stop! You’re going to hurt yourself. You’re not in any condition to push me away. You need to put yourself first for once. Amelia has Jayden. She doesn’t need you.”

She doesn’t need you. Hearing those four words come out of her husbands mouth made chills run down Isabel’s back. Glaring at him, she was quick to uncover herself, slowly sitting up despite the pain she felt. It wasn’t as intense as it was before. Now, Dawson couldn’t keep her in bed. Now, Isabel was going to find out what was wrong with Amelia herself. She doesn’t need me. I know that. Not after what I said but I need her. Sighing, Isabel pulled her arm away when she felt Dawson try to stop her from sitting up. “Don’t touch me!” She exclaimed, looking back at the man she loved but in this moment, he didn’t deserve it. “You’re right. She doesn’t need me but I need her, Dawson. She saved me when no one else gave a single fuck about me. I’m not sorry for what I did. I’m not sorry I had her run for her own safety before mine. I regret nothing but you will learn to watch what you say. She’s the reason I’m here, Dawson. Did you even think about that?” Slowly standing up, Isabel grabbed a hold of her iv stand, wheeling it towards the door but groaned when’s Dawson stopped her. “Move. If you really loved me like you say you do, you would move. I’m her emergency contact. I should know what the fuck is wrong with her! You’re being an asshole! A selfish prick who isn’t considering the fact his wife is in a hell of her own right now. You don’t know what happened. You don’t know that they forced chemicals down her fucking throat! You don’t know shit but you do know how much she means to me and if you continue making me have to chose between you and her, you’ll only end up hurting yourself. I never wanted a day to come where you made me pick. You told me it never would come but you lied. If you are going to continue being this way, you can leave back to America and stay with Asher. I’ll come home once I’m better.” Pushing past Dawson, Isabel didn’t say anything more. If he decided to leave than she wasn’t stopping him.

“Isabel no!” Dawson exclaimed repeatedly as he reached for her, knowing she was angry. He knew where she was headed so he made the leap to the door before she could escape from it. “Isabel, don’t do this,” Dawson protested over her argument. “She’s married. You’re not responsible for her anymore. She’s not the only one who cares about you anymore! Let me be your husband! Stop putting her first!”

“Dawson! Shut the hell up!” Jayden boasted as he walked into the room, towering over him in his anger. “I can hear both of you next door and let me tell you, it’s the last thing I want to hear when my wife isn’t breathing on her own. What do you think gives you the damn right to treat Amelia like a second hand citizen just because Isabel is hurt? Can you not get it through your fucking thick skull that Amelia is DYING because she didn’t want Isabel to be alone in the hell they faced together? Do you not understand that as hard as either one of us try, there is no coming between them? Why is it so difficult for you to respect that? Amelia didn’t want to go to France, the only reason she did, was for Isabel. You really need to watch your damn mouth before you use your tongue to talk disgustingly about my wife who would risk her own life for a stranger, you honestly think she wouldn’t lay it down for Isabel? Pull your head out of your entitled ass. You can resent Amelia for the rest of your life but just know, she’ll pull herself out of Isabel’s life just to make you happy. You don’t deserve that and it’s a promise Dawson Covington, if Amelia makes it out of this and you still have the audacity to make her give up her best friend for you, I’ll make you wish you never met either one of them.”

Hearing Jayden speak the way he did go Dawson brought Isabel no sympathy. Dawson deserved every word the businessman said. The pilot deserved to feel the way he did by those words piercing into him. Isabel, however, began to shake upon the revelation that Amelia was not breathing on her own. That’s why no one wanted to tell her what was wrong. Correction, Jayden didn’t want to tell her because of that reason. Her husband just didn’t want Isabel to put Amelia first. Gripping her IV stand tighter, Isabel lost feeling in her hands as they turned white. She felt the room spinning and before she made contact with the floor, she felt Jayden hold her up. She isn’t breathing on her own because of you. She was willing to give up her life for you, Isabel. Thanking Jayden for helping her, she fussed over him trying to get her to go back to her bed. She didn’t want to. She needed to see Amelia. “I get why the two of you want me to lay back down but I need to see her, Jay. I have to. This is my fault and I just need to be with her.” She whispered, the tears that strolled down her face wouldn’t stop. “Please. Just this once let me be with her.” Isabel was one to beg, but she would do whatever it took to see her best friend. When Jayden finally caved, she looked back at Dawson with a hurt expression. She hoped he was going to be in her room when she got back but she braced herself for the worst.

Walking into the room next door, Isabel gasped at the sight of her best friend. This was her fault, but she slowly made her way over to Amelia’s bedside, taking her hand in her own as the tears continued to fall. “Amelia, I’m so sorry. I’m sorry I did this to us.” She whispered gently, laying her head on the side of the bed as she held her best friend’s hand tight. Isabel couldn’t stop shaking. If she lost Amelia she wouldn’t know what to do with herself. “You have to make it. Please, Amelia. I can’t keep going on without you beside me.” Letting herself fall asleep from the exhaustion of crying, Isabel didn’t wake up until she felt arms carry her back to her room. She didn’t pay much attention to who it was but once she was laid back in her bed, she closed her eyes, wishing everything would end. It was that night she woke up from a nightmare. The constant replaying of what the Frenchman did to her and Amelia. Screaming, she’s hot up to a sitting position, looking around the room for someone to comfort her. Quickly scanning from side to side, Isabel only began to panic even more when she didn’t see anyone. She wasn’t really focused on her surroundings and assumed the worse. He left. Hugging her knees against her chest, she was so focused in on her living hell she didn’t notice the warmth that engulfed her. Her body just shook and the tears warmed her cheeks.

"Isabel, I don't think you want to see Amelia right now," Jayden replied gently, his tears already glossing his eyes at the thought of his wife's condition as she lay helplessly in the next room over. Jayden was worried because she wasn't making any progress in her recovery since doctor's placed a breathing tube down her throat with hm there to watch. The whole scene to him seemed inhumane. Jayden didn't want Amelia in France, he wanted to take her home where he knew she would recieve top notch care, something Jayden felt she wasn't getting here. But Amelia's health was just too unpredictable for Jayden to even consider a medical transfer. Pulling himself from his thoughts, Jayden looked up to Isabel after he instinctively kept her from falling onto the cold, grimy floors. Keeping an arm around her back to keep her standing, Jayden caved from Isabel's desperate pleas. "Okay, I'll take you to her. Let's go," Carefully guding her to the next room, Jayden left the room without even acknowledging Dawson after all the petty insults he delievered to Amelia in her defenseless state. The only reason Jayden hadn't lost his self control on Dawson is because he was Isabel's husband and the last thing she needed was for her husband to be incapciated when her best friend was already clinging to her life. "This isn't your fault," Jayden reminded Isabel as he helped her to Amelia's bedside, keeping a reassuring hand on Isabel's shoulder. He made the attempt to soothe her further by rubbing her back gently. Jayden knew like himself, Isabel was inconsolable at Amelia's condition but that didn't mean that Jayden was going to let Isabel's grief gnaw at her in solidarity. Neither of them needed to be alone right now when one of the most important people in their lives was clinging to her life.

As hard as it was for Jayden to watch Amelia stagger in her recovery, fearful that she would only deteriorate here, he realized he hasn’t witnessed devastation until he watched Isabel surrender herself in pleas to Melia. It broke Jayden’s heart. He had to do something.

Jayden didn’t see Isabel again until the next morning. He saw her wrapped in Dawson’s broad arms. Knocking on the door lightly, he gave Isabel a half-hearted grin. “Good morning, Trooper, how are you feeling today?” Making his way over to Isabel’s bedside. “Someone’s awake and she wants to see you, if that’s okay.”

Isabel didn’t know how long she leaned into the warmth and comfort of her husband. In her state, all she wanted was to feel a sense of security and despite their arguing, Dawson always gave her comfort. Looking up when Jayden knocked, Isabel smiled weakly, telling him good morning as she held Dawson’s hand tightly. “I’m feeling alright. Didn’t get much sleep last night but that’s to be expected.” Isabel explained faintly, blinking when he said Amelia was awake. Isabel’s heart skipped a beat. Her best friend was awake and wanted to see her. Isabel had to apologize to her for all the hurtful things she said. She needed to apologize for even bringing them on this assignment. This was all her doing, and she was carrying the grief so heavily. “Yeah, I’ll go right now.” She whispered softly, looking at Dawson with a weak smile. “I’ll be right back. Promise.” She whispered gently, slowly moving out of his embrace and she grabbed her IV stand once more, tanking Jayden for his help to Amelia’s room. Taking a deep breath, she walked in and instantly felt tears wet her cheeks. “Melia.” Isabel said faintly, walking to her bedside as fast as possible before she took her hand in hers. “Thank god you’re awake. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry for everything. This is all my fault. I should’ve never brought us to France for this assignment. I’m so sorry.” She whispered desperately, bringing her best friends hand to her heart after sitting in a chair next to her.

Though Amelia was awake and no longer needed a breathing tube, she still was on oxygen and heavily sedated to keep her out of pain. “She can’t talk, Bel,” Jayden replied gently, “whatever they made her swallow severely burned her mouth and esophagus. The doctor I brought over from London last night said it could take up to eight weeks before she’s healed enough to use her voice.” Handing Amelia a paper and a pen, Jayden stepped out of the way to let the two communicate. Quickly jotting something down, Amelia turned the paper towards her best friend, coughing out of discomfort. Her breathing was ragged but she still held a smile on her face. I’m glad you’re okay. Was all she wrote, despite Isabel’s apology. Amelia didn’t care to hear it. No one was to blame for what happened. They knew the risks they took as journalists when they took the assignment and Amelia wasn’t going to resent Isabel for helping Amelia do her job. Being who she was, Amelia didn’t regret what she did. It was a consequence of her work, all that mattered now is that they both were brought back into a moral society. “Once the doctor clears her for travel, I’m sending her back to America to finish her recovery. Do you think you can keep her company, Bel? Or will it be too much for Dawson?”

Looking up at both of them, perplexed. What do you mean? Amelia signed in concern.

Sighing softly at the paper, Isabel continued to hold her hand tightly in her own. Looking at Jayden, Isabel shook her head at the mention of Dawson. “It’ll be fine. I’ll be there to keep her company.” Isabel said to Jayden, giving him a simple nod before she looked at Amelia. She didn’t need to know what happened with Dawson. Not now. “Don’t worry about him, Amelia. It’s fine.” Isabel said gently, looking back at Jayden once more as if begging him not to say anything more. Isabel would tell her best friend about Dawson soon, but not now. “When will she be able to get cleared?” She asked Jayden curiously, gasping shortly after from the pain that shot through her body. She wished her ribs would fully heal already, while also wishing her head would stop pounding. Refusing to go back to her room when Jayden looked to her in concern. “I’m fine. Just a small twinge of pain. Nothing serious.” She said faintly, not moving from Amelia’s side. “I love you, Amelia.” She said faintly, letting out a deep sigh.

The awkward silence that accompanied Amelia’s question, told her everything she needed to infer about Dawson. It only made her disappointed in herself rather than being furious with him for being irrational. Shaking her head in displeasure, Amelia gently let go of Isabel’s hand. Picking up the pen again, Amelia wrote what she wished she could convey in the right tone. I love you too but you need to go. You’re hurting too. Don’t make Dawson hate me more than he already does. Turning the paper back towards Isabel, Amelia looked to Isabel apologetically. I’m okay. She signed, knowing Isabel would understand. Go please.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Amelia has been in America for two weeks now. Jayden sent her there because as much as he wanted with him in London, he only trusted his own top medical connections to overlook his wife’s recovery. He wished he could have gone with her but he had important proceedings to tend to for United and trusted only himself to ensure they ran smoothly.

She’s fine. She’s with her mom. Emily will take good care of her. Jayden had to remind himself every time he had a free moment to think of Amelia. Twirling a French fry in between his fingers, Jayden looked over to his daughter in a sad grin. She was too smart for her own good, she managed to unintentionally guilt trip her father out of her child-like blunt honesty. Jayden took both Bel and Lincoln for lunch during one of his free moments, and while Lincoln was easily entertained with a crayon and a glass of chocolate milk, Jayden’s four-year-old spent their lunch impatiently asking questions about her mother.

“Where is mommy?”

“Is she okay?”

“Why would someone want to hurt her?”

“Why aren’t we with her?”

“Don’t you miss her, daddy?”

“Is she scared?”

“Is she coming back? When?”

“Can you take me to see her, daddy, please?”

“I want her to come back, Lucy doesn’t tell me stories or play with me like mommy does! I miss her.” Little Bel confessed sadly, holding up her head with her hand, her elbow resting on the table as she pushed away her food. “Mommy takes us to do fun things, why don’t you, daddy?”

Hearing what his daughter had to say, Jayden sighed softly. He wasn’t irritated or upset with what his four-year old stayed. He was upset with himself for not being around enough for his children. They needed him, especially now and despite needing to go back to work after this, he decided in that moment he wasn’t. He needed to stay with them and spend the day together as a family. He knew they needed to visit Amelia in America and he was already planning the trip. “You know what, Lovebug? How about I spend the day with you and your brother today? Then you can join me at work tomorrow instead of being with Lucy.” Jayden said brightly, kissing her head gently before he laughed softly at Lincoln who clapped excitedly. “I think Linc likes the idea. I promise we’ll go to see mommy soon. Aunt Bel and Asher are keeping her company though, so she’s not alone.” He reassured the little girl, ordering their food for them. Grabbing the ketchup, he laughed when his daughter looked at him curiously. Making his master piece, he gave her the burger back and laughed softly at her bright expression at the simple smiley face he made for her. Eating with them happily, Jayden decided to take Bel to her favorite park afterwards. Getting out his phone, he shot Amelia a text asking how she felt, with a picture of him and Bel he took. They stuck two fries in their mouth to look like walruses.

Isabel decided to spend the day with her husband and Asher. Holding Dawson’s hand as they drove to the ranch, Isabel smiled gently when they arrived, taking Asher into her arms while covering his face in kisses, giggling at Asher’s squeal. He was such a precious little boy that Isabel loved being with. Walking into the house, Isabel hugged Malinda tightly, letting her watch Asher while she went out to the barn. Letting Sicily happily, Isabel sighed gently before she looked over at Dawson when she felt his gaze on her. “Yes?” She asked him curiously, kissing Sicily’s nose before she walked over to him, taking his hands in hers so she could twirl around. “I’m glad we made it out here today. I’ve missed it. Do you think we can go to our spot?” She asked gently, kissing him lovingly before she heard her phone ding. She knew it was Jayden and she looked at it, reading the message until Dawson took it from her. “Wait, Jayden was telling me he’s planning a visit here.” She said but when she saw his face, she knew it was the wrong thing to say. Sighing softly Isabel pulled away and walked back over to Sicily. “Dawson, please.” She whispered faintly, looking down at the ground. “I can’t keep doing this. I know you resent her but she’s still my best friend. This isn’t anyone’s fault and I just wish you would realize that.” Hugging herself tightly, Isabel bit her lip as the tears fell. “I love you, you know I do. With my entire being I do and this recovery hasn’t been easy for me but you resenting Amelia doesn’t make it any easier. You can hate her for the rest of our days but she isn’t going anywhere and I hope she doesn’t leave me to please you. Because if she did, I would be broken.” Walking away from the barn, she looked up at him when he grabbed her arm. “Yes?”

“Really daddy?! You’ll stay with us?” The little girl asked in an excited giggle as her father passed her her decorated hamburger.looking over to her brother, Bel shook her head at her dad. “Lincoln’s a baby, daddy he doesn’t know what you mean.” The little girl said matter-of-factly while she watched her overly composed and proper father goof off with his fries before he peer pressured her to do the same. It wasn’t something little Bel was used to since Jayden took on his new career but his daughter happily embraced it. She missed being close with her parents, their busy schedules got the best of them when it came to spending an ample amount of time with Isabel and Lincoln and it only deteriorated when Amelia was in jeopardy.

When Amelia saw Jayden’s text, she was curled into their couch in Texas half asleep in one of his police t-shirts because she missed him. This big house was too quiet and lonesome with just her in it. With a six hour difference between them, it was nearly late night for Amelia. Feeling the vibration of her phone radiate the cool leather on the couch, she lifted her head from the cushion, her face sticking to the leather. Reading the text, Amelia laughed to herself before replying. “Y’all are a bunch of goofballs. I miss you. I’m okay. I would be better if you were here.”

“Isabel you’re my wife and I don’t feel like I should have to fight to be a priority. I understand Amelia’s your best friend, but I’m your husband, and just once, I don’t want to have to fight with you for your attention. I’m sorry that upsets you. But I’m tired of being second on your pyramid. Whatever we do, whenever we do it, you’ll drop whatever it is for her at just one word, but when have you ever done the same for me?” Letting go of her hand when he finished, Dawson turned away from his wife to tend to his horses. “You can go if you feel like you need to, but you’re leaving out son here and I don’t want you to come home until you can give me all of you.”

Jayden enjoyed the lunch with his daughter, her giggles giving him life. He was more than glad she was truly enjoying herself. They hadn’t spent time together in what felt like years and he needed to make up for it. As much as United was important for him, so was his family. They were more important than the company. Eating his burger happily and feeding Lincoln his fries. It was a busy but peaceful lunch and after texting his assistant to clear his afternoon, Jayden took Lincoln in his arms and held Bel’s hand. “Do you want to go to the park or go see Coco at the theater?” Jayden asked him daughter with a gentle expression, looking at the text from Amelia with a bright smile. “I know, my love. I promise we will be there soon. I’m planning the trip already and our princess misses you. I’ll keep you updated on when we’re going.”

Listening to what Dawson had to say, Isabel took a deep breath, looking down at her wedding band. She knew he was right and in that moment she knew she failed Josie. Biting her lip, Isabel simply nodded. “Okay,” was all the photojournalist could manage to say. She wasn’t going to see Amelia right now. Right now, she needed to be alone and let her thoughts consume her. It was the only thing she could think of doing. She would’ve much rather spent the remaining sunlight with Dawson but after what he said, it was best if she gave him space. Slowly backing away from the barn, Isabel turned around and began walking, not entirely sure where she was going. Her legs seemed to move on their own and after pulling herself out of her thoughts for a moment, she realized where she was. She managed to walk all the way to hers and Dawson’s spot despite how far it was from the house. Sighing softly, she decided to lay on the bench Dawson put out there for them under the willow tree. Looking out to the lake before her, the raven-haired woman hugged herself tightly as she curled into a ball. “I’m sorry, Josie.” She whispered softly, laying across the bench before she closed her eyes. She didn’t wake up from her slumber until night fell. Looking up at the sky, she smiled weakly at the sight of the star. Her and Dawson’s star. It didn’t take long for tears to fall from her eyes and she couldn’t stop them. Hearing rustling from a distance, Isabel didn’t move an inch, just stared at the sky. She knew she missed dinner and she wouldn’t be surprised if Dawson assumed she left to see Amelia. “You always ruin the good things in your life, Isabel.” She whispered gently, allowing the wind to dance through her hair.

“You didn’t ruin anything, Isabel,”Savannah called, the spring wind rusting her voice ever so slightly, but it was still apparent who she was. The brunette had the same shade of hazel eyes as her older brother but that’s about all she had that resembled they could possibly be related. Savannah has taken after her maternal grandmother in her looks. She held a average stature with a skin tone close to a dark beige color but not quite. “May I?” She asked politely before taking a seat next to her sister-in-law before covering her in one of Dawson’s old sweatshirts she stole from his closet before heading her way over her. “It’s still a little chilly out here, I thought you’d want it. If you’re hungry I can sneak you something out here. I used to do it all the time for an exiled prisoner,” Savannah teased to lighten the mood but when all that was reciprocated was silence, Savannah offered her sister some unsolicited advice. “Don’t let Dawson get to you, he’s never going to leave you. He loves you too much to let you go. That’s why he’s so frightened but don’t let him push Amelia out of your life. She was family before he was and he has to respect that. Everyone knows both of you would give your lives for each other. My brother’s just always needed someone to blame when someone gets hurt and I’m not going to let you think you’re never there. After the war, you were the one who made sure he was taken care of and never left him alone when he needed someone and you weren’t inclined to him then, you weren’t his wife. Stop comparing yourself to Josie, she was a pushover and let Dawson run her life. She was sweet but she never left this town, she never saw the world, she never had the opportunity to hold her own head on her shoulders. You can’t compare yourself to her because you two are two different women. You’re head strong and stubborn and you should never apologize for wanting to see the world of for being your own person, Isabel. You’re better than Josie ever was and that’s why Dawson’s so afraid, because he knows you’ll never need to depend on him like she did and you have other people, like Amelia to make you happy. If you let him win you’ll only be feeding his insecurities.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A few days has passed since the ranch intervention but today was going to be the downfall of it all. As Isabel made her way through the lobby and up to her office, her assistant greeted her hesitantly. “Good morning, Isabel.” When she asked for a run down, Erica just nodded. “O-of course. You haven’t missed any calls but Amelia did fax something over and told me to leave it on your desk. She marked it as urgent.”

Watching Isabel walk briskly into her office, Erica bit her lip nervously because she knew what was on Isabel’s desk waiting for her. It was Amelia’s resignation letter.

After the ranch intervention given to her by Savannah, Isabel hadn’t spoken much to Dawson. He didn’t seem interested and after hearing what Savannah said, she knew she was right. Isabel couldn’t be this weak anymore. This wasn’t her but what happened to her in France made her need security and comfort. That’s why she let Dawson run her life when she came back, even if it hurt. She needed to be the strong woman she was before. The independent one that didn’t need to rely on Dawson so much. Isabel knew she would be okay and once the nightmares fully went away, she knew nothing would hold her back.

Walking into the office, Isabel decided to wear her white pant-suit for a change. It wasn’t often that she did and to accent it she wore a blush shirt under her jacket and blush heels to match. She walked into the grand office hopeful the day would turn out to be a great one, but she was wrong. Asking Erica for the run down, she was curious when she heard Amelia faxed her something urgent. Feeling sick to her stomach, Isabel was quick to run into her office, running straight to her desk and grabbed the paperwork. Reading it over is what broke Isabel completely. She’s resigning. Gripping the papers in her hand, Isabel continued to read them over and over again as she slowly sinked to the marble floors below her. Sitting on the ground, she felt tears sting her eyes and it wasn’t long until they chased each other down her cheeks. Isabel’s entire body began to shake, and she knew then she wore the wrong attire to work because she curled into a ball and hid her face, her mascara coloring her white blazer black with each tear that fell onto it. Her chest began to heave and the room seemed to spin. Isabel felt her heart breaking with every painful second that passed. It shattered until nothing was left to be broken. She stayed curled into a ball, not knowing what emotion to feel, until she no longer felt pain. She stayed there, in the solidarity of her office until she no longer felt anything at all. She was completely numb and accepting that sent shivers down her spine. She was broken. Completely broken that she only ever felt once in her life before.

Slowly standing up, Isabel shoved the papers into her bag, grabbing her phone she ignored the text from Dawson asking if they were still in for lunch. She didn’t want to see him. She didn’t want to see anyone. She only needed to go to Amelia and ask the burning question. Why was she resigning. Wiping her face clear of her makeup, Isabel straightened out her pantsuit, walking out of her office and to Erica’s desk. “Clear my entire day. I’ll catch up with what I miss tomorrow. Let my assistant editor know I’ll be back tomorrow. I left her a folder of what she needs to be doing today.” Without saying anything more, Isabel walked out of the office, straight to her car. Once inside the security of her Audi, she drove to Amelia’s house, not feeling any single emotion until she now stood at her front porch. Unlocking the door, Isabel slammed it open, making eye contact with the only person she needed to see right now. Looking st her best friend sitting on the couch, Isabel shut the door and stayed by it. Now she felt warm. Now, she was hurt. She was angry. “You’re resigning?” Isabel asked in the faintest whisper. She intended to say it louder but her body prevented it as tears began to fall once more. “Why? Why are you resigning?!” She exclaimed as loud as she could behind the tears. “It’s becaue of Dawson, isn’t it? Because my husband’s being an asshole and trying to take you away from me!”

Last edited:
Amelia waited anxiously for Isabel to show up after she sent in the resignation; she knew it would happen because she knew Isabel better than most. There was no getting off the hook, but Amelia just couldn’t bring herself to watch Isabel break when she gave her Dawson’s final request. Amelia didn’t have the strength to witness such a sickening scene.

When Dawson showed up at Amelia’s doorstep the night before, he took advantage of Amelia’s vulnerability. She was literally voiceless, giving Dawson every opportunity to say what was on his mind without the usual head strong Amelia interjecting. He held nothing back. Amelia replayed everything Dawson said while she timidly wrote her formal resignation. She needed with with fourteen drafts before she finally settled on one but none of them sounded adequate enough for her. You’ve done nothing but hurt her. She really must mean nothing to you. You’re so selfish You think you’re entitled to her. Y’all aren’t teenagers anymore. Her husband should come before you. If you love her, you’ll stop working with her. You influence her too much. You’re stupid if you think she could always risk her life for your unrealistic dream. Is it really worth her life, Amelia? Is it?

Since Dawson left abruptly, Amelia didn’t leave her spot on the couch. Every time she thought she was composed enough to move, she broke down again at the thought of his words. I wish Jayden was here. She didn’t want to be alone right now.

Hearing Isabel pull into the driveway, Amelia caught what little breath she had and wiped the wet tears from her sticky face. Lifting herself to sit upright, Amelia jumped when she heard the door slam open and knew by the sound of Isabel’s expensive heels against her hardwood floors it was her. Here we go. Looking up at Isabel, Amelia wiped her tears away again before she shook her at Isabel’s fury, the sorrow that furrowed her eyebrows and tensed her dark skin was enough to punch Amelia in her gut. Shaking her head, Amelia made her way over to her best friend and took her into an embrace. She needed her voice right now. “I’m sorry,” Amelia said faintly, her voice almost too hoarse to understand her. Stay please. she signed In too much pain now to try and talk again.

Isabel released a deep sigh as she looked at Amelia, but being pulled into an embrace is what she needed. Hugging Amelia tightly, she buried her face in her neck, not stopping her tears as they continued to fall. “None of this is your fault, Amelia. Dawson’s being an asshole. I can’t keep doing our dream without you.” She whispered faintly, following her best friend back to the living room where Isabel sat on the couch and put her face in her hands. “Amelia please don’t do this.” She whispered, knowing it was too late to stop her. Once Amelia’s mind was made up, it was made up. Even though she wanted to go chew Dawson out right now, she needed to be with Amelia. She knew they were going to take a break. It was inevitable at this point but she couldn’t believe Dawson did this. She could though, after what Savannah revealed to her about his and Josie’s relationship. Leaning her head against Amelia’s shoulder, Isabel stayed like that for what felt like years. She couldn’t move. She wouldn’t move. Hearing her phone buzz, Isabel knew it was Dawson. Grabbing it, she read his text asking if everything was alright. Rolling her eyes, Isabel replied. “I’m not alright. We need to talk tonight when we get home.” Putting her phone away, she didn’t bother looking at it. She was spending the day with the Acciolli family because she knew it would their last until she and Amelia decided they could return to their original state. “I’m giving up the company, Amelia. I’m not keeping it. I’ll go back to freelancing and if not then I’ll work at corporate for HEB. I love you, Amelia. I really wish this wasn’t happening.”

With Jayden and the kids still in London, Amelia didn’t want Isabel to leave, but she knew she would have to return to Dawson or he would only sour more. Once Isabel left, Amelia would be completely alone until the next morning when her mother returned to check in on her. The silence between the two best friends lingered because they were working through their emotions, both dreading the departure. Grabbing her phone, Amelia typed what needed to be said. “Don’t be so haste in your decisions, Bel. You’re capable to take over, but I don’t want to know what you decide. I just can’t do it anymore, not after everything that’s happened. I want the best for you, working with me isn’t it anymore. I’m sorry for coming between you and Dawson. That was never my intention. I wish you all the best.” Confusing such a truth hurt Amelia deeper than she could fully comprehend. This wasn’t happening was it? The last sixteen years of Amelia’s life were spent with Isabel at her side for every accomplishment, downfall, milestone and dread. Isabel was more than just a friend, she was family and now she was supposed to act like she was never there? It was impossible, but Amelia would do it if it meant Isabel would get the life and family she always dreamed of. Amelia was going to miss her. With Isabel sitting next to her, she was too numb to let her emotions consume her. But when Isabel walked out of her doorway and her life, Amelia would be far from okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back