Idea An odd idea

Quin-

Interdimensional Social-Anthropologist
I've got an Idea, for an odd sort of Quest, and I would dearly love to get your opinion on it.

=====================
Example
=====================

So, it turns out, I have been reincarnated into a fantasy world.

And somehow, I seem to have been granted some powers, but... oh geez, you guys are not gonna believe this.

My power is this.
Yep, this here...
No super strength, no magical sword, nothing but a mental connection, to a very specific online forum, and a strange notebook lying on the grass in front of me.
The only possible advantage that comes along with it, appears to be a side effect of my mental link.
When I connect to the forums, my consciousness seems to travel here entirely. Upon going back into my body, time seems to start exactly where I left it.
I may not have anything showy, but I have a functionally infinite amount of time to consider my next action, and a way to communicate with you all.
With some luck, I think I may just have a chance of surviving here.
But i'm going to need some help... cause you see... I'm a 165 pound female social anthropology enthusiast, with a backpack full of hiking gear, in the middle of a mountainous forest, and i'm currently five feet from the pointy end, of what appears to be a charging goblin with a spear.

Please tell me what the fuck to do? 😑😂😵
I mean... I did grow up doing simulated medieval combat in the local SCA, and have a decent scattering of martial arts fundamentals, among some other survival tricks picked up from my ecclectic life.
But even so, this GM must be crazy, a spear right off the bat, is just too much of a range advantage to overcome with nothing but my little 6 inch flip knife.
Seriously, what do i do? 😂

========================

I intend to feature hard magic systems, as well as a high level of realism and difficulty.
The story will be centered around survival, and learning about all of the intricacies of this new world I'm stuck in.

I'm an obsessive fantasy world builder, so expect many races, and varied cultures, as well as economies, religions, and social structures.
There will be no good, or evil races, just differing perspectives, and clashing cultural normatives, in a world just as varied as our own.

For example, this goblin is not actually a goblin. he/she(?) Is just a sentient creature from a race, that my panicked mind immediately classified as being goblin like.
For all I know, they have a perfectly good reason to be charging at me with a spear.

As a side note, the magic system will have a particular quark, that will enable me to overcome language barriers, so as to not get too caught up in linguistic details.
This quark will not be a perfect translation skill though. So misunderstandings will happen frequently with newly encountered races and cultures.

I will not get overpowered magical abilities, and will need to rely on my wits, and your advice to overcome obstacles.

You won't be controlling the main character directly, as is standard in quests.
Instead you'll have the chance to interact with the MC directly, so the relationship you build with them, and the quality of your advice will determine how much effect you can have on their decisions.

Oh, and i'm a fairly accomplished digital artist, so expect a fair number of sketch illustrations, of notable things I encounter on the journey.

What do you think, Would you play this weird sort of quest?

Questions, comments?
Any and all input welcomed.

This sounds like a really creative and fun idea! I'd love to see a quest game like this. Though, since quests aren't very popular, and quests don't usually ask for much from the people participating, you may end up with a really cool project that falls flat due to the aforementioned issues. I don't know if you have, but you should definitely post this in the Questing Interest Checks subforum, you'd probably get a lot more responses there (and people would tell you if they would join, on the plus side).

I really hope this works out for you! So cool!

This sounds interesting! Reminds me of a web novel called Hikkineet 10 years something something(the isekaied dude got internet and asks 4chan for advices). Though the player wouldn't be able to give influence as frequent as vote-based. I imagine each post will consist of days, weeks or even months of action depending on the character's personality.

This sounds like a really creative and fun idea! I'd love to see a quest game like this. Though, since quests aren't very popular, and quests don't usually ask for much from the people participating, you may end up with a really cool project that falls flat due to the aforementioned issues. I don't know if you have, but you should definitely post this in the Questing Interest Checks subforum, you'd probably get a lot more responses there (and people would tell you if they would join, on the plus side).

I really hope this works out for you! So cool!
Thank you for the feedback. ☺️ i'm glad you think it sounds interesting.

That's true, as I've had similar issues with quests i've run in the past.

Luckilly i'm not super worried about it.
The idea for this quest is actually a response to those failed quests, and my recent difficulty finding RP partners with matching interests, who won't ghost on me.

Basically i'm really into the idea of creating and exploring fantasy worlds. But I tend to get a bit lonely after a while of writing solo, and nobody seems interested in exploring my intricate world building.
I figured that was because my world were non interactive, hence why I was drawn to quests and RP.

But I tend to have difficulty finding players who really want to explore the worlds I create, and just as much trouble finding collaborative writing partners who really want to world build to the extent that I do.

With this setup, if nobody replies i'm not gonna just sit there and wait, as I might in a typical quest, or RP.
Instead i'll just try my best to solve the problem on my own, and move on with exploring the vast and exciting fantasy world in front of me, because that's what i'd do, were I actually in this scenario.

My alternate self will likely wind up making a guidebook to this fantasy world, including details of it's alternate physics system, which will allow others to RP in this particular world.

By the end, i'll hopefully have both a guidebook, and atleast a couple of readers, who know a fair bit about the world, and are invested enough in it, to want to start characters of their own within it, at which point i'll move into GMing group roleplays in this setting.

If that makes sense at all. :P

But thank you again for the encouragement. I'll definetely take your advice and post in the recruitment section to catch further interest.

This sounds interesting! Reminds me of a web novel called Hikkineet 10 years something something(the isekaied dude got internet and asks 4chan for advices). Though the player wouldn't be able to give influence as frequent as vote-based. I imagine each post will consist of days, weeks or even months of action depending on the character's personality.
I'm glad you think so.
It totally does sound like something you'd find in an isekai doesn't it?😅 definetely a similar concept too.
Though that isn't necessarilly bad at all. Isekai is a genre i'm always sifting through, for those gems it occassionally holds, and often I find similar concepts done by different authors. yet both can be good in different ways, or one can often be worlds better than the other, depending on how the author plays their cards.

Yes, interaction will likely be a little less frequent, and or direct, than a typical quest.
I'm thinking it'll basically be in the style of travelog, or travel journal, and i'll likely try to keep them fairly short and frequent, unless things are getting stale and I need a time jump to get into interesting territory again.
I may still incorporate votes too. Just only for non immediate decisions that i'm still pondering on.
For example, I could run a poll deciding which region I should travel to next. Then continue doing errands around town, and finishing up local business while folks vote, then tally it up when i'm all ready to go.

Thanks for the feedback.😁 getting some great ideas from this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back