• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Alerts not showing up? Report it here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Hesperus

Harbinger of the End Times and Apostle of Ghan
Administrator
Supporter
So, I've been hearing from several people now that they have missed updates to their favorite games and threads because the handy-dandy little red Alert status number hasn't been showing up.

I'd like to see just how rife this is (and give Wiz, Miz, Ghan et al another headache), so would anyone affected by this please post below, along with the browser(s) you've experienced the problems with.

I'll start. I've missed several updates using Chrome, but because I've got a lot of time on my hands, I'm not greatly affected.

Captain Hesperus

I'm using Safari, my alerts are fairly accurate thus far, but it seems that whenever people post in rapid succession I only get an alert for the last one.

Not sure if this is a bug, or a feature to avoid alert clutter, but I thought I would mention it.

I'm assuming the latter. Most often the alerts tell of the first person to post, with a proviso that 'There may be more posts after this.'

Captain Hesperus

Either way I wouldn't suggest changing it. Alerts are nice, alert clutter however, is not. ;)

Then why post here?

Oh yeah, post count padding. You're into it. :P

Captain Hesperus

[QUOTE="Captain Hesperus]Then why post here?
Oh yeah, post count padding. You're into it. :P

Captain Hesperus

[/QUOTE]Jesus, here I am just trying to help and you call me out on some bogus crap? Typical Cap, typical Cap...

Trust me, alerts are functioning correctly in every shape and form. I just can't stress enough the fact that if you don't go read your thread or what ever it is your subscribed to that it won't send any more to prevent clutter.

[QUOTE="Ker'ion]It never informed me of the update to the Motivator thread, so...

[/QUOTE]
What kind of alert settings do you have for that thread?

MrSerious said:
It never informed me about new threads being created in the Eschaton forum
You have to go where it says watch forum and pick the proper settings, you want an alert on new threads and replies.

"Watch Thread" is pretty much it.

Anytime a post is made, it should theoretically inform me, correct?

[QUOTE="Ker'ion]"Watch Thread" is pretty much it.
Anytime a post is made, it should theoretically inform me, correct?

[/QUOTE]If you have ticked the "Alert" box, then yes.

Alerts are on for any watched thread, etc.

By the way, the thread is now alerting me, so I guess something got altered, repaired, replaced, augmented, or AI'ed.

[QUOTE="Ker'ion]Alerts are on for any watched thread, etc.
By the way, the thread is now alerting me, so I guess something got altered, repaired, replaced, augmented, or AI'ed.

[/QUOTE]I think this might have been a case of you highlighting the "Alert" section and therefore not receiving the alert.

medelsvensson said:
I think this might have been a case of you highlighting the "Alert" section and therefore not receiving the alert.
If you mouse over alerts and cause the number to vanish but do not visit the thread/forum in question, you will not continue to receive alerts until you do.

[QUOTE="The Dark Wizard]If you mouse over alerts and cause the number to vanish but do not visit the thread/forum in question, you will not continue to receive alerts until you do.

[/QUOTE]Exactly what I meant to say, thanks for taking credit.

Yes, alerts work perfectly fine, the problem is on the users end, not the alerts end.

So in summary:

If you do not visit the thread after checking your alerts, it will not send you any more, becuase you clearly do need care about it anymore.

If there are 10 new posts in a thread it says "Unread post by X there may be more afterwards" Because it will not clutter your alerts for no reason.

Or alternately, the Alert system has become self-aware in Pineapples' absence and has simply taken an intense dislike to several members of the forum and wishes them nothing but ill and missed updates...

Captain Hesperus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back