• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy ✦✧ 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫𝐠𝐥𝐨𝐰 ✧✦ (𝘴𝘦𝘪 & 𝘯𝘺𝘹)

Julien Delacroix
in time, even the sharpest thorns can become soft
mood: embarrassed

outfit: . /

Embarrassment wasn't an adequate word to describe what Julien was feeling. His cheeks burned hotter than the hearth in the corner, as Alexios, with a grin that could rival the devil's, claimed the barstool next to him. Julien had been so sure that he'd snuck out successfully that he hadn't even considered that he'd been followed. Alexios was better at faking being asleep than he'd remembered. Of course he was. He was now a trained mercenary after all with a whole new bag of tricks up his sleeves that the white-haired mage wasn't even aware of. Meanwhile, Julien still used the same old tricks that he'd always been using as a child.

His eyes locked briefly with Alexios' with a mix of surprise and irritation before he looked away. "I didn't sneak out," Julien muttered, his voice low, eyes darting to the mesmerizing etchings on the counter as if seeking refuge. "You were merely enjoying your beauty sleep so profoundly that I couldn't bear to disturb you." His explanation was a feeble shield against the onslaught of Alexios' knowing gaze. Damn the man for being such a light sleeper; He shifted uncomfortably on the barstool, caught between wanting to shrivel into nothingness and wishing a witty comeback would just materialize.

Refusing eye contact with the smirking mercenary, Julien transferred his glare to Felix, who, to his disbelief, was reveling in the unfolding drama. Traitor, Julien accused silently. If looks could maim, Felix would be in pieces on the tavern floor. Instead, he was grinning like a mischievous cat that had knocked over the prized china.

"Aren't you going to introduce us, Jules?" Felix's voice purred from behind the counter. Violet eyes flickered with mischief, the threads of a plan weaving in his mind.

Begrudgingly, Julien obliged, "Felix, this is Ale - Azurion, the mercenary my mother hired." He continued on, pretending he hadn't slipped up. It didn't matter anyway, Felix already knew exactly who Alexios was and what he meant to Julien. This was all simply formality. "Azurion, this is—"

"Felix Alduin, owner of this fine establishment. I've heard much about you. Jules has loose lips when he's drunk," said Felix, his eyes twinkling with mischief as he gazed at Alexios. "I recall just a few months ago, he got so drunk he started crying about you -"

In a desperate attempt to salvage what was left of his dignity, Julien frantically scrambled, half-vaulting himself over the counter. His hands slapped over Felix's mouth, fingers pressed firmly against the flow of potentially embarrassing revelations. "Are you sure you're not mixing up your stories? You get a lot of patrons, after all," the mage hissed, red eyes shooting lethal daggers. In the background, a potted cactus in the corner that Julien had gifted to Felix on one of his birthdays shook slightly.

Unfazed, Felix raised his hands in mock surrender, waiting for Julien to release him, the smirk unwavering. "Ah, yes, I must be mistaken. There are a lot of Jules, that I know."

Julien groaned. His hands were his only refuge, pressed against his face as if they could shield him from the avalanche of awkwardness. In his mind, he envisioned the earth parting beneath him, offering sweet sanctuary. Alas, it was wishful thinking.

It was too late. Alexios was not dumb; he had likely deciphered the fragmented revelation and was coming to his own conclusions. Felix, it seemed, wanted Julien to die of embarrassment. Didn't he realize that Julien had no intention of revealing how deeply he'd missed Alexios? That, even after all these years, thoughts of Alexios lingered like an unwelcome yet cherished companion? This situation that they were in, already forced and strained, threatened to spiral into a vortex of complications. How was Julien supposed to put up a facade of nonchalance now if Felix insisted on divulging all his secrets so readily?

Felix, unperturbed by Julien's internal turmoil, watched the spectacle unfold with a grin that seemed to stretch even wider. He loved meddling in other's affairs. The bard was determined to ensure that every secret, every suppressed emotion, saw the light of day tonight. Though Julien appeared very cross with him right now, he knew the mage would thank him later. Felix wielded his mead jug like a conspirator, refilling both Julien's and Alexios' glasses with a brew that packed a punch. Strong, warm, and laced with a sweetness that seemed to mock the bittersweet revelations hanging in the air.

"Well, Azurion, it's a pleasure to finally meet you," said Felix, leaning against the counter. "You must tell me some tales of your adventures sometime. It gets rather dull around here with only scholars for company who refuse to step out of their laboratories and do anything mildly exciting." His eyes flicked to Julien who had finally lowered his hands from his flushed cheeks but was still squinting at him in warning, as if to say, 'shut up! stop talking to him.' Felix ignored the silent warning and continued on, "I've tried to inject a bit of thrill into Julien's scholarly existence, but he insists that setting his clothes on fire during an experiment is adventurous enough."

Julien, attempting to shield his pride with a facade of indifference, lifted his glass defiantly, taking a generous sip of his mead. The fruity aroma lingered briefly as he set the glass down, the warm flush on his cheeks betraying his true sentiments. "Magical research is thrilling enough," he retorted.

Felix responded with an amused hum and a roll of his eyes. "Of course, dear Jules. The thrill of scholarly pursuits is riveting, no doubt." It was a good thing the alcohol was starting to work on Julien already (he had knocked back those glasses rather quick), because otherwise, Felix wouldn't have been able to get away with being such a little shit.
code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr
the only reason that i'm here is to wreck havoc
outfit: . here

gauntlets: . here

“There’s quite a difference between resting my eyes and enjoying some beauty sleep,” Alexios snorted. “Come now, you didn’t really think your guard would be falling asleep on the job, did you? I wouldn’t make for a very good one if I was doing that.” His grin widened as Julien refused to look at him, practically huddling in on himself on the stool. The mage clearly wanted to up and disappear, but he was either too prideful to stand up and leave or he knew it would be useless, and Alexios would still be his tail wherever he went. Admittedly, Alexios was glad that Julien chose to stay, because it meant that he was going to get to stay here, and this seemed like it was going to be quite entertaining watching Julien fall apart like this.

As Julien went to introduce the bartender, he almost called Alexios by his real name, which caused the mercenary to tense slightly. He hated that the elf – who was apparently named Felix – probably already knew his name, given how close Julien and Felix seemed, but that didn’t mean Alexios wanted the mage going around saying his real name all the time. The mage needed to get out of the habit of saying it and focus only on saying Azurion. Alexios was going to have enough of a fight over it with anyone else he might run into that he had once known.

“Quite the pleasure to meet you,” Alexios drawled with a lazy grin shot Felix’s way, swirling his glass a little. As much as he was used to pounding back shot after shot, he couldn’t be getting blacked out while he was on duty. If Solaris was around to take over, then he’d match anyone in this bar drink for drink. But, unfortunately, he had to stay on top of things and keep his wits about him. So, if he was going to drink, it had to be only a minimal amount and it had to be very slow.

The moment introductions had been made, Felix was jumping right into talking about how much Julien had missed Alexios these past years. Oh, wonderful, what a great topic of conversation. It made Alexios down another sip of his drink, hiding his grimace behind the glass. It was clear that Felix was trying to embarrass Julien, but the elf had an unintended side effect: he was making that little flicker of guilt Alexios had been feeling grow even stronger. Julien had been crying over him? As recently as a few months ago? Out of the corner of his eye, he watched as Julien leapt across the bar to smack his hands over Felix’s mouth. The mage’s words seemed to fade into the background and all Alexios could see was Julien’s angry, flushed face as he mouthed a vexed tirade at Felix. Why had Julien been clinging to him for all these years? Wasn’t he angry at Alexios for disappearing? For never reaching back out to him? He knew his family would have been pissed off at his disappearing act. Julien had every right to feel pissed too. It probably would have been easier for Alexios if the mage had been.

But instead, Julien was still mourning their friendship even all these years later. Going so far as to cry over a glass of alcohol over Alexios. And talking about him a lot, apparently, especially while drunk. Alexios was unfortunately aware of the fact that words said over tears and alcohol were often some of the truest that a person could speak. His stomach twisted further into knots and he almost felt like he was going to be sick. Why did he fucking care so much about the fact that Julien still wanted to be his friend? It had been years since they’d last seen each other. That familiarity should have long since faded for both of them. Alexios had abandoned the past the second he ran from the Academia. Why hadn’t Julien done the same?

This was going to be a problem if he kept thinking like this. Alexios had to keep his mind clear so that he could be focused on the mission at hand. He wanted desperately to think of Julien as just another client, but it was difficult when the mage seemed hellbent on making him remember as much of their shared childhood as he could. And, of course, any mentions he made of the fact that they had once known each other would elicit even more questions from the people around them. At this rate, it was only a matter of time before word got back to his father or his mother that he was here. The thought was enough to nearly tempt Alexios into pounding back the rest of his drink, but he resisted the urge, his fingers twitching around the glass.

At least Julien’s outburst seemed to have convinced Felix to stop mentioning such things. However, Alexios was wondering how long that would last, given that he appeared to be paying very close attention to both Alexios and Julien’s drinks, making sure they were each topped off very regularly. He raised a brow as he lifted his glass to his nose, inhaling the sharp scent. It was sweet, but definitely strong. Julien didn’t seem to really notice, only downing more. Alexios took a small sip before setting his glass back down, propping his elbow up on the bar and resting his chin on his fist.

Despite what Felix had revealed and the uncomfortable emotions it had elicited in Alexios, he never lost his carefree smirk, even leaning forward a little as Felix rested against the counter. “Oh, you want to hear some of my tales?” he grinned. “Well, I might be able to indulge you…but it’ll cost ya.” He winked, rubbing one finger over the rim of his glass idly. He couldn’t help but snort at the way Julien tried to defend his research as interesting. “Please, staying all day in a lab? How interesting could that really be? You need some excitement in your life. A bit of travel, a bit of danger. That’s how you really live!”
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix
mood: embarrassed

Ignoring Alexios by drowning himself in more drink proved to be a futile attempt for Julien. The alcohol, weaving its way through his system, seemed to heighten rather than dull his awareness of the persistent mercenary beside him. Even with the din of the tavern surrounding them, Alexios' energy cut through, impossible to ignore. Julien felt acutely conscious of every nuance—subtle shifts, the sly smile, the penetrating gaze that seemed to scrutinize him ceaselessly.

A deeper frown etched itself onto Julien's features as he contemplated the drink in his hand, lips lingering on the rim. A part of him resisted the urge to ignore Alexios, acknowledging that, deep down, he didn't want to. Not when Alexios sat mere inches away, a smirk playing on his lips, and his gaze drilling into his very core.

"A cost, you say? Come now, wouldn't you like to have your marvelous tales be spun into song to be sung far and wide?" Felix's voice cut through Julien's thoughts, the bard's eyes gleaming with mischief. "I'm a remarkable singer, you know. People yearn for their tales to be woven by me. But if you insist on payment, I'm willing to pay for a kindred spirit." A wink followed, one that elicited an eye-roll from Julien. He suspected Felix was doing this solely to ruffle his feathers, and he tried to shoo him away with an impatient wave of his hand.

"Do you not have work to attend to, rather than pestering my guard?" Julien grumbled at Felix before finally turning his gaze toward Alexios. His eyes sparkled with irritation, underscored by a hint of self-righteousness. "My research is plenty interesting," Julien declared, his words emboldened by the warmth spreading from the mead coursing through his veins. The subtle slur in his speech betrayed the effects of the alcohol, but it only seemed to intensify the fervor behind his convictions. "If we're successful, it'll change everything. If we're not, well... at least I'll have dedicated my life to something meaningful."

A determined glint in his eyes, Julien spurred on, the liquid courage compelling him to vocalize the tumultuous thoughts swirling within him. "And you -" Julien poked at Alexos' chest, once again, annoyed that the other man had built up so much muscle over the years. "- have no right to look down on me for what I do considering you're one of the fucking reasons I'm doing it all in the first place."

The single accusatory digit pressing against Alexios' chest morphed into a clenched fist, as Julien gripped at the fabric of his shirt. The white-knuckled hold spoke of an internal conflict, a silent battle playing out in his mind. In that moment, Julien seemed suspended between the desire to pull Alexios closer, an impulse echoed by the tightening grip, and the need to push him away, a conflict unresolved in the tautness of the fabric held within his fist. In the quiet pause, Julien's features contorted, his brow furrowing in a perplexed frown. Every word, every reaction from Alexios seemed to unravel something within him, leaving him grappling with an unexpected surge of sensitivity. Was he always like this, or was it a peculiar facet of his personality under the influence of Alexios' reappearance in his life?

If Alexios had ever considered Julien to be an open book, now he was laid bare, vivid hues of embarrassment and intoxication mingling on his flushed features. The realization struck Julien slowly, like an echo in the quiet corners of his mind: I've said too much. His widened eyes mirrored the sudden awareness, and abruptly, as if the shirt beneath his fingers had transformed into searing hot coals, Julien released his grip. He recoiled, physically and emotionally, scooting away as though the brief touch had left him singed.
code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr

Still idly swirling his drink around in one hand, Alexios’ grin widened as Felix bemoaned having to pay a cost to hear his tales. “Ah, a bard, are ya?” he asked, leaning a little further over the bar. “Hm, I’ll admit, it would be quite lovely to hear my adventures sung about by someone talented. But I’ve never heard you sing before myself – that seems like something rather important. I should be allowed to determine whether or not I find your voice as appealing as you claim it is.” Bringing his glass back to his lips, Alexios slowly tipped another sip back as his darkened, hungry gaze danced over what parts of Felix’s body he could see. “Perhaps you can do a…private performance for me sometime soon, hm? When I’m off duty, of course.” The mercenary’s real intentions glimmered in his eyes, practically preening at the way Felix was flirting back so easily with him.

Julien’s irritated voice cut through the moment, causing Alexios’ attention to slide back to the white-haired mage. He cocked a brow as Julien began to rant self-righteously about how his research was perfectly interesting and how it was going to change the world. Alexios could barely stop himself from rolling his eyes. Didn’t all of these scientists think that? There were so very few people who actually managed to make a significant impact in the field of scientific advancement. Having lived at the Academia for as long as he did, Alexios had seen hundreds upon hundreds of hopefuls attempt to create some sort of new breakthrough with their research. None had succeeded. Julien’s mother was smart, he’d give her that, but Alexios was fairly certain that this millennia’s quota for genius breakthroughs was being met by Asteria Faust.

The alcohol burning through Julien’s body was clearly making him much bolder than usual though, and his cheeks were already blooming into a cheery red shade. His words were slurred too. How much had Julien drunk? It couldn’t have been that much; Alexios had been here since Julien had sat down at the bar. Maybe he was just a massive lightweight? If that was the case, Alexios prayed that Julien didn’t drink much more. He wasn’t fond of the idea of carrying a drunken Julien all the way back to the Academia and ensuring he didn’t choke on his own vomit during the night. Alexios loved to drink – he was very sore over the fact that he was having to nurse this single glass of alcohol from Felix, given it was quite good – but he knew his own limits. Most of the time. It was rare that he was completely blacked out to the point that he needed to be taken care of.

Alexios eyed Julien with interest as the mage poked him in the chest, the finger soon turning into a clenching fist around Alexios’ shirt, tugging the man forward. He didn’t fight it, leaning toward Julien until they were mere inches apart and Alexios could smell the alcohol off of Julien’s breath. Despite himself, Alexios couldn’t stop the way his eyes flickered down for a brief moment, lingering on Julien’s lips before he snapped his gaze back to the mage’s glassy eyes. He was still maintaining his easy smirk, acting entirely unfazed by what Julien was spouting at him, but with the mage’s last words, genuine surprise and confusion flashed briefly across Alexios’ face before he threw his mask back on.

What the hell did Julien mean that he was doing this research for him? They hadn’t seen each other in years. What could Julien possibly be working on that was for Alexios’ sake? His mind spun as he tried to figure out what the hell Julien was talking about, but he was coming up with nothing. Something for him that would also change the world? It didn’t make any sense in the slightest.

But like hell was he going to allow this chance to slip by. Julien was clearly drunk enough that he was willing to let things slip, even if as soon as the words left his lips he realized he shouldn’t, as evidenced by the way he suddenly released Alexios’ shirt and jumped back as if he had been burned. That meant there was still a chance for Alexios to try and glean some more information from him. It was necessary, after all, for the good of his mission. Definitely not because he needed to know why Julien thought this research had anything to do with him. How much could he press Julien for answers now? There was only one way to find out, and Alexios was counting on Julien’s drunkenness to make him more receptive to what Alexios planned to do.

Leaning forward after Julien, the mercenary set his drink down on the bar, all but forgetting Felix’s presence. “Oh? For me?” he purred, reaching forward and crooking a finger underneath Julien’s chin, lightly urging the mage to lean back toward him. He eyed Julien’s cheeks, clearly flushed not only from the alcohol, but from embarrassment at what he had revealed. “Well, that’s such a pretty little thought. Though, I’m not quite sure it makes much sense. Whatever could you possibly be researching on my behalf?” His fingers crept up the side of Julien’s face until he was cupping the man’s cheek, his thumb dangerously close to brushing over Julien’s lips. Alexios was half off of his stool now, advancing toward Julien, nearly cornering the man with his back to the bar.
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix
mood: sad boi hours

Julien's heart thundered; a loud, nervous fluttering reverberating in his ears that drowned out the ambient sounds of the tavern, reducing everything to a muffled backdrop. All he could see were blue eyes, so familiar and yet so distant, and lips that appeared so soft, so close to his own. The hand on his cheek, thumb dangerously close to brushing over his lips, sent shivers across his skin as Julien's breath caught in the charged air. He gulped.

"I - It's -" The words he intended to speak seemed to tangle in his throat, a knot of nerves tightening with every beat of his pulse. "C-Complicated..." Stammering, his voice barely a whisper, he attempted to articulate a response, but the intensity of the moment left him momentarily speechless.

Oh, how easy it would be to cross the breath of space between them. Julien could almost taste the sweetness of those kissable lips, had wanted to for so long. When Alexios napped in the gardens during lazy summer days, his head on Julien's lap as his fingers ran through his hair, the faintest of smiles playing on Alexios' lips. When they tiptoed through the winding corridors of Julien's family home, Alexios' sure hand guiding his, blue eyes twinkling in mischief. When Julien hugged Alexios for the last time before he left, promising to keep in touch, eyes lingering on his face a moment too long, wondering 'what if'.

For Julien, it had always been Alexios. A persistent longing, a quiet flame that never dimmed, no matter how many others tried to fill the void. But for Alexios, however, it had never been Julien. He had moved on, reinventing himself with a new life, a new identity, and, most painfully, a new name. This sudden closeness felt both a balm and a torment. Julien, even in his inebriated state, sensed the facade, the artifice woven into Alexios' silky voice, the same voice he'd used to flirt with Felix now turned towards him. It wasn't meant for him. It was just a performance. It stung, the truth he didn't want to fully grasp. And he hated himself for wanting more.

Crimson eyes locked onto pale blues as Julien parted his lips and closed them around the finger, drawing it into his mouth as his tongue pressed onto the pad of Alexios' thumb. And then -

He bit him. Hard.

Simultaneously, he pushed at Alexios' chest, to put some distance between them. The stool scraped against the floor as Julien stood, swaying slightly as he grabbed at the counter behind him to find balance.

"You're not being fair. You're -"

Teasing me. Toying with my feelings. Julien's voice wavered as he swallowed his words, unable to finish his sentence. To say them aloud would be to admit a pathetic crush he'd held onto for years and years. Julien hated this. Hated that his eyes threatened to well up with tears. Hated that his face clearly showed his emotions when Alexios' was still unreadable to him.

"You've no right to answers. Not when you've given me nothing. Not when you're still Azurion to me," he finally managed to spit out. The words were a bitter lament, a shield and a confession all in one. He grappled with the feelings of frustration and anger building up, held onto them like a lifeline as he rambled.

"Do you've any idea how worried I was when you stopped responding to my letters? When I didn't find you when I came back? Even your family thought you were dead but I never stopped looking, stopped hoping that you were out there somewhere, and now you're here, and you won't even acknowledge me!"

Well, that was what Julien would've said if he'd been more articulate but what he ended up saying was:

"Do you've any idea how worried I - you never came back?" he asked. "You were dead. Fuckin' gone. But I looked. And looked. And looked. And now you won't even acknow - acknow - know me?"

In the interlude between Alexios closing in on Julien and the little outburst from the mage, Felix, ever the showman, had made his quiet exit from the counter. He weaved through the lively crowd and approached the corner where the musicians played. Borrowing a lute from one of them, the elf, flicking his long braid over his shoulder in dramatic fashion, commenced a haunting melody with the strum of the lute, the chatter among the patrons in the tavern slowly dying down as they stopped to look at the bard.

Felix's lute cast a brief spell over Julien, momentarily soothing him. He sank back onto his stool, feeling the rhythmic vibrations of the music reverberate through the worn wood of the bar. With a heavy sigh, Julien rested his head on the counter, arms forming a cradle for his heavy, aching head as whispered words fell from his lips. "Why did you forget me, Alexios?" he murmured. Julien pressed his wet eyes into his arms in an attempt to hide the hurt that he clearly wore on his face.
code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr

Julien’s skin was hot against his hand, the mage’s flushed cheeks radiating a comforting warmth. He was stuttering over his words too, which drew Alexios even closer, the mercenary sliding fully off his stool and turning so Julien’s back was pressed against the bartop, with Alexios’ body between him and the rest of the tavern. “Complicated? I think I’m smart enough to handle it,” he hummed, his gaze locking onto those ruby-red eyes of Julien’s, Alexios’ eyes dark and heavy. Taking a chance, his thumb shifted enough to brush over Julien’s lower lip, seeking to part them ever so slightly. He could tell that Julien wanted to give in, and Alexios was confident he could make the mage fold for him. That belief was only strengthened when Julien ever-so-gently drew Alexios’ thumb into his mouth, causing Alexios’ eyes to light up.

Until Julien snapped his teeth down on the finger instead.

Pain flashed briefly through Alexios’ mind, but it was quickly drowned out by shock. The disbelief was clear on his features as Julien shoved him back and he jerked his hand away from Julien’s face. Alexios glanced down briefly at his hand, noting that the skin was red and indented, but it wasn’t broken, before he looked back up at Julien, who was grappling for the counter behind him to keep his balance. He had not expected that sort of reaction from Julien. The man had been so desperate for Alexios to acknowledge him that the mercenary had been certain that a drunken Julien would be eagerly receptive to him when he did pay him some attention. Clearly, he’d pushed too much too fast. He should have slow-played it more.

What was even more shocking were the words that came spilling out of Julien’s lips next. Alexios froze at the resentful tirade, struggling to figure out how to regain control of the situation. Perhaps he should have expected anger from Julien while he was drunk, but Alexios hadn’t thought the mage would be this raw toward him. This open about how hurt he was by Alexios leaving. He felt his mouth dry as he was faced with all the pain and betrayal Julien had built up over the years of his absence spilling out so soon after meeting each other again. This was why he hadn’t wanted to come back to the Academia. Alexios had known he was going to face some kind of repercussions for abandoning everyone, but he never expected it to be Julien Delacroix. Of all the people it could have been, why him? He was starting to think running into his parents would have been easier to handle. At least they were easier to be angry at. But as Julien sunk down onto the stool again, cradling his head in his arms in an effort to hide his tears, Alexios felt that annoying regret curling tendrils around his heart and squeezing tightly.

He couldn’t do this. Alexios wanted to turn tail and run back to the Cross, because facing Reaper and Grim seemed easier than this. He’d locked any emotions about the people he left behind far away deep inside of him, and with a few simple words, Julien was dragging them back up. But those stupid feelings shouldn’t even exist anymore! Alexios wasn’t supposed to feel anything but hatred and contempt for the people he’d left at the Academia. None of them had ever been there for him when he needed it, not in any way that mattered. He was a disappointment to his parents, a troublemaking idiot to his siblings, and a pitiable case to everyone else at the Academia. Julien had always been his only reprieve.

And then Julien had left.

Alexios gritted his teeth, grateful that Julien’s head was buried in his arms as the mercenary fought for control of his emotions. Julien was the one who had fucking abandoned him. He could have stayed at the Academia. He didn’t need to go with his mother. Why was he all up in arms about Alexios leaving? Surely, Julien had to know that, without him, Alexios had nothing to stay behind at the Academia for. Julien was the one who had left and he was upset that Alexios didn’t sit around waiting like a dog for him to come back?

Although Alexios would never admit it aloud, he had always oscillated between regret and anger the few times he thought about Julien. As much as he tried, he couldn’t stop himself from feeling guilty for ending their written correspondence without warning, but he also didn’t know what Julien expected of him. Alexios couldn’t make it through the endless days at the Academia with only a scrap of paper every few weeks to be a lifeline for him to cling to. What right did Julien have to be pissed about Alexios escaping from this hellish place?

The torrent of fucked up emotions twisting through him right now was something that Alexios didn’t have the time nor the patience to deal with. He was supposed to be here on a job, for fuck’s sake, not letting old wounds reopen. He was better than that. He was stronger than that. No matter how much he wanted to drop the mission, he always saw them through to the end. He wasn’t about to let this one be any different.

There had to be a different way to play this. If Alexios wanted out of the Academia, he had to finish this job as quickly as possible. And to do that, he needed Julien to cooperate with him. But Julien didn’t want to cooperate with him. Julien wanted the shadow of his old friend back, a far more childish version of Alexios that he had laid to rest long ago. That person didn’t fucking exist anymore.

But what if he could make Julien think it did?

It wasn’t an idea that Alexios was crazy about, but even after only spending a day with Julien, he wasn’t sure he had much other choice. He was going to have to pretend that the Alexios that Julien had once known was still inside of him, which was going to mean pretending to open himself up and show his scars. But it was going to be that – it was going to be pretending. Alexios refused to believe otherwise. It was just another mask that he wore to appease the clients. Because he was over the Academia and the people he’d left behind and he didn’t fucking care about them anymore. It was all just pretend. A performance. The illusion of vulnerability. That was how he was going to get Julien to work with him. As much as Alexios despised the idea of forcing himself to seem weak and defenseless…that sort of shit worked on someone with a bleeding heart. Just like the one Julien had.

Clenching his jaw, Alexios reached forward, grabbing Julien’s forearm and hauling the man to his feet. “You’re too drunk for this,” he muttered, forcing the mage to stumble after him as he strode out of the tavern, dragging Julien back into the streets. Alexios’ eyes flickered around the area, habitually scanning for any threats while he looked for a more quiet, secluded place. Like hell was he going to pretend to be vulnerable in a crowded tavern. He needed somewhere where it could be just him and Julien. A more intimate setting should play in his favor anyway – it made it seem like Julien was special to be able to see the more open and unshielded side of Alexios.

Ultimately, he decided to pull Julien into the alley to the side of the tavern, letting the mage catch his balance against the wall before finally releasing him. While Julien scrambled to reorient himself, Alexios loosely crossed his arms over his chest, leaning against the opposite wall of the alley, his gaze fixed toward the street. He cocked one foot up against the wall, his heel pressing against the brick layers. He was silent for several long moments, trying to figure out the best way to go about this.

“I didn’t forget you, Julien,” he finally said, using the mage’s name for the first time since when it had initially slipped out in shock in the greenhouse. When Alexios had referred to Julien aloud, he’d always made a point to say Mr. Delacroix. But he was trying to seem open. He needed to use the familiar name, which admittedly, came far too easily to his tongue.

“I…” Pause. Seem guilty, not angry. “What did you want me to do? You were gone, and I couldn’t take life at the Academia anymore. You know what my family is like. I had to get out as soon as I could. When I left, I didn’t exactly have a forwarding address. And what I do now…it’s dangerous. I run into a lot of shitty people. People who would love to take advantage of…” the words felt sour on his tongue, but Alexios forced them out as he looked back over to Julien, appearing uncertain, as if he was afraid of admitting this, “…of people I knew as a way to get to me.” Don’t say cared for. Not yet. It would be too much too quickly. He had to move slower. “I didn’t know if you were ever coming back. And I needed a fresh start…so I wasn’t drowning in the shadows of the Valtyr name.”
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix

The abrupt pull on his arm sent a ripple of disorientation through Julien. "Hey - what - don't manhandle me!" Julien protested, though he didn't really put up a fight. He could, of course, if he wanted to. Julien was very sure that if he summoned his magic, he could have Alexios sprawled on his butt on the floor of the tavern if he really wanted to. Sprout some thick vines with a flick of his wrist, trip him and have him pinned to the floor within seconds. Julien could take him. Yep. Totally. He entertained the thought with a touch of delusion, perhaps a side effect of the alcohol coursing through his veins.

He made eye-contact with Felix as he was being dragged off, but the bard simply waved at him cheerily. Traitor.

Despite his protest, Julien 'allowed' Alexios to guide him outside. The world swayed slightly, and the mage steadied himself against the cool alley wall. He rubbed at his eyes with the sleeve of his tunic, a futile attempt to erase any evidence of the earlier tears. Whatever tears had spilled earlier had been quite brief - something Julien thanked the gods above for. He wouldn't forgive himself in the morning if he found out he'd been a snotty, teary mess the night before. Felix already made enough fun of him for it as it were, and he didn't need to add Alexios to that list too.

And then, in the quiet alley, Alexios spoke.

Julien's attention snapped into focus when he heard his name. Brows knit with concentration, lips subtly downturned, and eyes, veiled by the alcohol-induced fog, tried to pierce through the shadows and focus on the man who, at last, bared a piece of his past. No more evasions, no more sly remarks—just the truth. The alcohol might have dulled his senses, but it couldn't diminish the impact of those words. Julien silently prayed that come morning, he wouldn't forget what was being said tonight in the alley behind the tavern.

Though the explanation placated him, there were still questions Julien wanted to ask. Why did Alexios's profession demand such a drastic severing of ties? Was the Cross so lacking in safeguards that its own mercenaries had to resort to such extreme measures? The need for a new beginning, a clean slate, was something Julien had yearned for on numerous occasions. Yet, observing Alexios in his altered state, hearing his words, Julien couldn't help but ponder the true cost of such a 'fresh start'.

These sentiments came and went from his mind in place of other matters as Julien focused on forming his words. When he spoke, his voice was small, a quiet echo in the confined alleyway. His eyes averted from Alexios, he sniffed back any lingering emotion, the earlier ire from his voice completely gone.

"A warning would have been appreciated," he admitted. "Any sign that you were... alive. You just stopped responding. I kept sending letters, every year, until Robyn told me you had left." Frustration laced his words, directed not at Alexios but mostly at himself for being made to feel foolish. He still remembered the look in their eyes when he'd asked after his friend every time he saw one of the siblings. Irritation. Pity. Anger. But Julien hadn't given up, kept holding out hope that Alexios was still alive; still somewhere out there in the world for Julien to find again.

"Illia said you got into dumb shit. There were rumors about you - fuck, Alex, I didn't know what to believe. Didn't want to imagine the worst,"
he added, shaking his head. Twice now, he'd used Alexios' name. If the mercenary showed any reaction to it, Julien didn't notice, caught up in trying to talk while also attempting to stand steady. The wall certainly helped.

The fights he'd heard about, Alexios running away, his family being frustrated with him enough to not even look for him - Julien had missed all of that when he'd been away. Would things have been different had he been there? Could he have done anything? These were questions Julien had asked himself many times throughout the years. Perhaps it had been guilt that had kept him wanting to search for Alexios, hoping to see him again, hoping he'd magically show up one day so that Julien could apologize. Perhaps that was why he dove headfirst into his mother's research - a foolish, idealistic part of him wondering that maybe if the drug was successful then Alexios would come back again... Naive hopes and dreams of a lost man.

Turning his gaze back to Alexios, Julien felt a sudden blur in his vision. Was it the alcohol, the lingering pain, or an imminent release of pent-up emotions? "This morning, when you acted like none of it meant anything to you, it fucking... hurt," he confessed. "You were being such a... such a dick while I..." He paused, sighed, and rubbed at his eyes again, refusing to surrender to another wave of tears. No, no, he was not going to cry again. He wouldn't allow himself to. Since when was he such a crybaby? He wasn't ten years old anymore, freely shedding tears on Alexios's behalf when he got hurt, or when he'd confessed for the first time that his mother refused to hug him. Julien thought he could contain his emotions much better now that he was older. Apparently that didn't apply to him when he got drunk. Or when it came to Alexios. Perhaps both.

When he'd managed to compose himself, unshed tears glistening in his eyes, Julien locked his gaze onto Alexios and uttered in the softest of whispers, "I was just happy to see you again."
code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr

Hearing Julien call him Alex caused Alexios to flinch ever so slightly. It was far too intimate for his tastes and he didn't think there was anyone nowadays who he would trust to call him that. There were few people he could trust in this line of work to hold his drink at a bar, let alone with such an intimate piece of himself. Even Solaris wasn't someone he would allow to whisper a name so close between them. Alexios could trust her to watch his back in a fight and he knew that they would both risk their own lives to protect each other, but real emotions? Getting to the actual heart of something? That had never been their relationship. The things they had each shared about their respective pasts had been minimal, just enough to give a brief idea of why they each might act the way they did. He knew that she'd been screwed over by someone in her home country and she'd left soon after. She knew that he had issues with his family because he didn't have the capacity for magic and he had subsequently abandoned them. Anything beyond that wasn't something that needed to be discussed, so they never did. It was simple. It was great.

And yet here was Julien, who, after Alexios had given the barest hint of openness to, was already calling him by that nickname. Like they were still kids, like they were actually still close friends. Like they hadn't been separated for years.

"It wasn't something I planned," he lied, trying to come up with some kind of semi-plausible reason to explain why he hadn't told Julien what he was doing. Honestly, it didn't even have to be a good one. He could blame the fact that it was a bad decision on being an idiotic, impulsive eighteen year old. "I'd thought about it a lot, but when I finally snapped, I just…left without thinking. I had to get out. So, I left, and didn't bother to think about what I was actually going to do when I did. I just knew I needed to get away." That worked, right? It was believable enough; Julien had seen Alexios snap in anger at his family before, so it seemed like it should make sense that without Julien there as a mitigating force, his outbursts would have been even more explosive. And Alexios was well aware of the fact that he was still impulsive, even now. "I wasn't wandering for long before I found the Cross." Another lie. It wasn't until almost two years later that he discovered the Cross and attempted to join their ranks. "They told me I needed to leave everything behind to join them. At the time it seemed…great. So I did it." That part was true at least. A mixture of truth and lies was always the best way to spin a story. The seeds of truth made it seem more believable.

Alexios stiffened at the mention of his sister. What had she been telling Julien? How much did Julien talk to her? Was he close to Illia or Robyn? Gods, he hoped not. If Julien was, then that made it more likely that Alexios was going to run into one of them much sooner rather than later. His mind raced as he tried to figure out how to address the shit he'd been doing before he left the Academia. Fuck, since he didn't know what Illia had told Julien, if he tried to lie about it and he contradicted what Illia had said, then Julien was going to immediately call his bluff. Gods damn it, he just couldn't deny anything about what had happened in those years unless it actually was false.

"Whatever you heard was…probably true," he admitted, not trying to hide how much he didn't want to confess to such things. "My sister was always very vocal about how displeased she was at the shit I was doing. Staining the family name and all that. And, ya know, people talk when they hear things. I knew there were a bunch of rumors circulating about me. People love to talk, especially when it comes to those who are highly ranked and respective." Alexios couldn't even count the times Illia had lectured him on upholding the honor of the family name and what it meant to be a Valtyr. How whatever they did as kids reflected back on their parents. Even before Alexios had distinguished himself as the magicless child, he'd hated that mindset. He wasn't his family, he was himself. And if people didn't want to see that, then that was their problem, not his.

Finally, Alexios looked back over at Julien, forcing himself to drag his gaze away from the street. The mage was on the verge of tears, again, so it seemed as though that hadn't changed much from their childhood. He heaved a sigh, lowering his head, trying to make himself look at least somewhat contrite. Every fiber of his being wanted to snap at Julien that he was an idiot for expecting everything to be the same as they had once been and that it was his own fault for being so dejected that Alexios had grown into someone else in their time apart. But he couldn't do that, because he had already tried that, and it just made Julien pissy. And if Julien was pissy, then he certainly wasn't going to be giving Alexios any sort of information about the research he was doing out of spite. He had to work this angle to get Julien to soften up and he would stop being so uptight, hopefully around both Alexios himself and Solaris. Though, it seemed like Solaris was content to chase her own information through Helen.

"I'm not the same person I was when we were kids," Alexios said, a reiteration of what he had said this morning, but his tone was far gentler, almost regretful, about it now. "A lot…a lot has changed, Julien." Say his name again. Seem sincere. "I was reacting out of shock because I never thought I'd see you again." True. "I…panicked." Annoyingly true. Alexios swallowed his pride, forced himself to get his next words out. "I was crueler than I needed to be. But, please," gods that hurt to say, "don't think I'm the same kid I was." He evenly met Julien's gaze. "Just like I doubt you're the same person you were the last time I saw you, right?" That felt hilariously untrue. Everything Alexios had seen of Julien so far just continued to impress the idea that the white haired man had barely changed at all. But Alexios needed to imply it. He wanted Julien to believe there were parts of him that were still the same, but he needed Julien to know that he was different too. So the mage would stop expecting him to act exactly as he once had when Alexios didn't think he was even capable of such things anymore.
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix

Listening to Alexios recount the events leading to his disappearance tugged at Julien's emotions, a subtle pang in his chest. The seriousness of what must have transpired for Alexios to sever ties with everyone became clearer. It tracked with Robyn and Illia's reactions when Julien had asked about Alexios; the way they'd dismissed him entirely, trying their best to avoid the topic altogether. Julien didn't have siblings, and the reaction had perplexed him before, but now, with the missing puzzle pieces provided by Alexios himself, it was all starting to fall into place.

The Cross, however, made Julien feel uneasy, though he wasn't sure why. A mysterious organization holding some unexplained sway over Alexios, leaving him with no choice but to make a pact that required cutting ties with his past... If Julien were sober, he might have dissected it further, asking Alexios why exactly so much secrecy was important. Even with his limited view of the world, it didn't seem all that important for a simple mercenary-for-hire to take such extremes. Sure, Alexios had made the job sound dangerous when Helen had asked about it earlier in the day, but... was it really that serious? He had a feeling there was something more to this that he wasn't seeing, but he was in no position to ask.

Julien was no stranger to being talked about at the Academia. But where people looked upon him with jealousy for having easy access to Academia resources because of his mother, they talked about Alexios much differently. 'Where did the Valtyrs go wrong with that one?' 'I hear he pissed off someone important and was expelled. What an embarrassment.' Julien had tripped those two gossip-mongers with some well-placed vines in retaliation and enjoyed seeing the bruise one of them got on their noses, but even then he'd still had his ears to the ground for any news of Alexios when he'd first arrived, no matter how terrible the rumors had made it all seem. Now, to have it confirmed by the man himself...

Julien raised an eyebrow. "Really?" he asked skeptically, a faint smile playing on his lips. "Even the one about you running away because you stole a dragon egg and decided to spite your family by becoming a dragon-tamer in the wilds?" he said, citing one of the more outlandish rumors he'd heard about the man, finding it easier to joke about something clearly false rather than focus on the truth. His eyes appraised Alexios with a playful glint before he looked up at the night sky as if searching for something. "Where are you hiding your hoard of dragons, then?"

Perhaps it was the effects of drinking, but Julien felt lighter than he had since this morning. He didn't want to delude himself into thinking that things were going to go back to the way they were before Alexios left. Even the mercenary said as much, reiterating how much he wasn't the same person anymore. Yet, Alexios' softened demeanor along with the admission of his previous insensitivity, felt akin to an olive branch. And who was Julien to refuse it, weak as he was to those pale blue eyes.

The mage sighed. "I'm not an idiot," Julien mumbled. "I can see you're not the same person."

He stumbled over to Alexios' side, squinting at the man as he talked. "You're much taller now, got all these piercings and tattoos and all these - these muscles? What do you even need so many muscles for? Highly unnecessary," he remarked. Hand curling around an exposed bicep, Julien glared at the offending muscle. He suddenly leaned forward, resting his forehead on Alexios' arm as wet eyelashes fluttered closed. In his state, he believed he was hugging the man, but it ended up more as him leaning against Alexios' side, finding the coolness of the other's skin to feel quite nice against his own tired eyes and flushed cheeks. He gave into the feeling, rubbing his face into the other's arm; an act he definitely would not have indulged in while sober.

"Put your useless muscles to use and carry me on your back to my room before I pass out," ordered the mage as he felt his consciousness begin to slip, his body growing heavier with each word until he was fully leaning against Alexios. An idle thought slipped by of how embarrassing it would be to pass out in the alleyway behind the tavern, a crumpled heap for his peers to find in the morning, but the mage was too far gone to worry about it as he let gravity claim him.

Sleep too would claim Julien soon, but not before he manages to mumble out, "...'m sorry for leaving you, Alex."

Inwardly, he promised to himself that he never would again.
code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr

Honestly, Alexios had no idea how the sudden change in his demeanor was going to affect Julien. It was such a rapid shift from how he had been acting that he wasn’t sure if it was going to have the desired effect of softening Julien up or if the man was going to be skeptical of how unexpected the change was. Skepticism was going to make this whole thing a lot more difficult and he was going to have to double down on this angle to make it seem more believable, because if he changed his mask too many times, then Julien was never going to trust him, and he was never going to get the information he needed. Mercifully, however, it seemed as though the mage was going to buy his lies, and seemed rather eager to lean into them. That was good. Now that he had Julien not hating him with every breath, Alexios was mildly surprised with exactly how easy it was to manipulate the man. Julien really had been far too sheltered for his entire life.

He snorted, allowing a small smirk to play over his lips as Julien asked about dragon eggs. Was that really what people were saying about him? He was surprised his father had allowed the rumors to become that outlandish. “Oh, you know, they’re around here somewhere. I can’t exactly be showing them off now, can I? I’m supposed to be trying to be low-key while I’m guarding you. If I just had them out and about at all times, that would be like I was shooting a laser up into the sky telling people to come to me.” Alexios couldn’t help but wonder just how the rumors had reached that point. The last time he’d been at the Academia, the rumors were far closer to the truth, about how he was getting into fights and getting mixed up with the wrong people. Which…wasn’t even wrong. The rumors didn’t always have the correct wrong person, but he had definitely been hanging out with people who strayed to the wrong side of the law.

The temptation to ask if Julien was sure he wasn’t an idiot was still there, but Alexios bit his tongue as the mage began to stumble over. Instinctively, he reached out, ready to catch Julien if he fell, but it seemed as if he was perfectly content to use Alexios as his support anyway with the way he was immediately grabbing onto the mercenary’s bicep. Habitually, a flirtatious smirk flickered over Alexios’ face, but the words he wanted to say died in his throat when Julien leaned forward and nuzzled him. Like a fucking cat. Alexios froze, blinking down in shock at the mage as he clung to Alexios’ arm, rubbing his face up and down the exposed skin. Julien’s face was very warm against him, the mage mumbling something about Alexios’ piercings and tattoos and physique. He was so stunned that he almost missed when Julien began to collapse, but he managed to react just in time to stop the fall.

“Well, apparently, I need all these muscles so that I can carry you back to your room,” he forced out with a chuckle, but Alexios could hear how strained it was. Why did it rattle him so much to have Julien be so affectionate with him like that? Gods knew they’d done it enough times and kids, and Alexios had been damn near close to just kissing Julien in the tavern. But this was…different. In a way he couldn’t explain, in a way that unnerved him. He really needed to get his act together before he blew his cover.

And then Julien apologized for leaving. Alexios swallowed nervously, hating how hearing those soft words made his heart stumble. They shouldn’t. He was over the people from his former life. This was just a game, a way for him to get more information about Julien’s mother’s research. He wasn’t supposed to be feeling shit like this. He gritted his teeth, forcing the strange and confusing amalgamation of emotions down and focusing on just getting back to the Academia for now.

“Yeah, yeah, it’s whatever now,” he muttered, thanking the gods for the way Julien tumbled into sleep immediately afterwards. Finally, Alexios breathed a sigh of relief, hefting the mage’s body up into his arms. “Carry you on my back, sure, I can definitely do that when you’ve knocked yourself out from drinking too much,” Alexios mumbled to himself. He cradled Julien in his arms against his chest, pointedly trying to ignore the way his heart skipped a beat as he used one hand to hold Julien’s head against him so it wasn’t lolling around wildly.

With nothing else that could be done for the night, Alexios began making his way back toward the Academia, ignoring the brief stares he was catching from some people at the sight of him carting around Julien in his arms. He wondered briefly if any of these people would recognize Julien in this state, and if they did, what sort of things they would begin saying about him. Well, it wasn’t like it mattered. Alexios wasn’t here to help Julien’s reputation. He was just here to make sure the man didn’t die from his own idiocy since his mother was working on gods knew what. Something interesting to have caught the attention of even Reaper.

Walking back to the Academia was a far longer process with Julien in his arms, but Alexios still made good time back to the building, and he was barely out of breath when he approached the doors. Obviously, he couldn’t go back in through the window with Julien being asleep, so he was forced to go up to the room the normal way, quietly sneaking around the halls to try and avoid being seen. He didn’t want to answer any questions about what was going on right now.

Thankfully, he managed to make it back without incident, because he was so done with incidents for the day. He was going to pawn Julien off on Solaris first thing in the morning and try to grab a few quick hours of sleep before he dared to face anyone else again.

Once he reached Julien’s room, Alexios was forced to maneuver Julien’s body in a way so that his hands were free to pick the lock on the door before he was able to shoulder it open. Stumbling inside, he made his way over to the bed, where he set Julien down on top of the sheets, gently laying his head to rest on the pillows. Alexios couldn’t help but pause for a moment, looking down at the way the moonlight played across Julien’s face. He almost looked…angelic. Shaking his head, Alexios banished the thought. He was too fucking tired. He made his way back over to the corner he had been in, sitting down heavily on the floor and leaning his head back against the wall.

It was going to be a long night trying to stay awake and not think about how Julien had just been acting toward him.
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix
mood: anxious?!

outfit: here

Julien resisted the pull of wakefulness, clinging to the last vestiges of sleep. His bed was warm and inviting, the soft blankets and plush pillows forming a cocoon of comfort around him. Though idly, he thought the surface he had been pressed against before finding his bed had been infinitely nicer. Whatever it had been, he missed the feeling of security and comfort it provided.

The mage slowly stretched his long limbs, feeling the pleasant ache of muscles relaxed after a deep slumber. A lazy hand rose to shield his eyes from the intrusive morning sunbeams dancing across his face, their brightness pulling him further from his dreams. With a contented sigh, Julien rolled over onto his side, absently wondering if Min-Jae would mind if he was a bit late to their work in the laboratory that day.

It was then that his sleep-hazed eyes fell upon a figure seated across the room, and the memories of the previous night came rushing back. His tearful outburst in the tavern, clinging to Alexios as his walls crumbled, and finally surrendering to exhaustion in the mercenary's steadying embrace. Had Alexios carried him home? It seemed that was the case, as Julien found himself tucked snugly in his own bed rather than passed out in some back alley.

Though remembering the words and actions of their encounter, Julien felt his face flush with heat. He would have preferred to wake in the dirty alleyway than face Alexios now, after being so vulnerable and unguarded. Blinking away the last clinging webs of sleep, Julien took in the mercenary’s relaxed yet attentive posture, feeling strangely self-conscious under that intense gaze within the privacy of his own chambers.

Blinking at Alexios with a mix of mild surprise, embarrassment, and a hint of relief that the man hadn't vanished after the night's ordeal, Julien cleared his throat. "Good morning," he managed at last, voice still rough with lingering sleep. He wondered if he'd ever grow accustomed to the sight of Alexios in his room. Feeling strangely awkward in his own space, he rose with stiff movements, eyes blinking away sleep as he grabbed a change of clothes from his wardrobe. "I'll just - freshen up. Yes," he mumbled, hastily making his escape to the bathroom.

Gods, what had he even said last night? Something about dragons and... and muscles? Had he no filter when he was drunk at all? It came back to him slowly as he busied himself, washing his face and smoothing down the atrocious bedhead that he had accumulated from tossing and turning in the night. Emerging at last, Julien's appearance was more composed, white locks neatly plaited, not a crease out of place on his robes, though inside he still felt raw and exposed. Steeling himself, he met Alexios’ gaze once more. "Did you get any rest? I thought you were to swap shifts with Solaris.”

Julien remembered all too clearly their conversation from the previous night—Alexios' apology and explanations ringing in his mind. Were things going to be better between them today? How should he act around this man who had once been so dear to him, but was now a stranger in many ways? Their relationship would never be the same as before, yet he hoped something had shifted after yesterday. Precisely what that something was, he did not know.

Not wanting to let an uncomfortable silence grow, Julien began to ramble nervously. "You're welcome to rest here once Solaris has relieved you," he said, gesturing lamely towards the rumpled bedsheets. "I'll be occupied in the laboratory all day, so you certainly won't miss any excitement." His eyes wandered the room restlessly, unable to settle on any one object for long—from Alexios' weary yet attentive face, to the swaying treetops outside the window, to anywhere but the mercenary himself.

Alexios looked tired, and though Julien knew it was part of the job, he felt the need to fuss over the other man, make sure he was comfortable. The shadows beneath those intense eyes spoke of long nights with little rest. "Are you hungry? We could stop by the canteen before you sleep," he offered, hoping his concern did not show too openly. He tried to affect an air of indifference, well aware Alexios would surely tease him if he glimpsed the mage's true feelings laid bare once more. Some things, it seemed, did not change so easily after all.
code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr

Somehow, Alexios managed to make it through the night staying awake and without thinking too much about everything that had just happened with Julien. It was certainly a struggle, and there were multiple times when he had debated whether just falling asleep to get through the night would be easier, but he’d trained himself well enough by now to know how to force himself to stay awake through the whole night no matter how exhausted he may be. It was just a matter of finding something to occupy his mind, something that he could focus on and keep his mind working and spinning so he didn’t fall into a haze.

Throughout the night, Alexios was thinking of all the different ways that he could incapacitate an attacker – whether they were coming from the window, the door, or blasting through the wall – or how he could escape them and get Julien to safety. It wasn’t a bad mental exercise, as it forced him to take stock of everything in the room and just how useful it could actually be if someone was to attack them. Planning escape routes with a client was also an essential practice, especially since there were…many different ways a client could react to being attacked. Some froze and needed to be carried. Some were capable of running, though usually only if Alexios grabbed their arm and dragged them along. Some were idiots and thought they could be helpful by fighting with Alexios. They were always very wrong. He had a feeling that Julien was going to be someone who fell into that category, especially since he actually had magic of his own that he could use. But knowing that Julien wasn’t trained in combat in the slightest meant that he was more likely to trip Alexios up with his branches than he was to actually be helpful.

At least thinking of all the ways an assault on the room could go wrong made the night pass by somewhat faster. The sun was beginning to stream in through the window when Alexios finally heard Julien begin to shift on the bed, the mage stretching himself out like a cat as he slowly sat up. Against his will, Alexios found his gaze drawn to Julien, cool eyes sweeping over the white-haired man’s body. His clothes were ruffled after being out at the bar and then sleeping through the night in them – Alexios wasn’t the kind of person to be impertinent enough to think he was allowed to change someone’s clothes like that without express permission – and his hair was tossed about every which way. It was…endearing. A sight that Alexios was nostalgically familiar with from the many times he and Julien had fallen asleep at each other’s houses.

Sitting in the same spot he had been when Julien had first taken to bed, Alexios was leaning against the wall, his legs drawn up toward his chest, arms hanging over his knees. There was a haze of exhaustion in his eyes, but he was still clearly very alert. “Mornin’,” he rumbled in reply, dragging a hand through his hair. Sometime during the night, he’d taken down the ponytail it had been in, letting his violet locks tumble freely down over his shoulders, reaching down to his shoulder blades. He cocked a brow at the awkward way Julien rushed from the room, but didn’t have the energy to say anything, only tilting his head back against the wall. Alexios let out a slow, deep breath, finally allowing himself a moment to shut his heavy eyelids.

He was convinced he felt more exhausted than usual because of everything he’d had to deal with yesterday with Julien. It had been more taxing than he cared to admit, but he shouldn’t really be surprised. After all, he’d been forced to come back and face his home and he’d been extremely on edge, on even higher alert than he normally was, just to try and keep a watch out for any familiar faces. Adding to that the emotional load Julien had dumped on him last night…gods, yeah, he needed sleep.

But he couldn’t find that relief just yet; he had to hand Julien off to Solaris first. Yet, he was still on the ground when Julien returned, only cracking open one eye as he heard the mage coming back in, briefly looking over how Julien had straightened his clothes out and pulled his hair back in a braid. A memory of Julien teaching Alexios how to braid his hair flashed through the forefront of his mind, but he quickly shoved it back down.

Alexios snorted at the question, forcing himself to open both eyes. “We switch nights,” he reminded Julien. “We usually only switch shifts mid-night if we’re out in a more exposed and dangerous area. Though, you know, I could have called her and made an argument that I was watching you in an exposed area at the bar…” Though the comment was flippant, Alexios was eyeing Julian carefully, waiting to see his reaction. He wasn’t sure how much Julien actually remembered from last night, and he needed to gauge it carefully before he decided how he was going to be acting.

It was barely a few seconds of silence before Julien was rambling about how he was free to rest here, how he was going to be in the lab all day. Gods, fuck Solaris. She was going to have such an easy day. All she had to do was sit outside the place. And that meant it was going to be falling on Alexios to do the poking around while she was watching Julien. Had she planned this? He was almost certain she had, even though there was no way she could have known Julien was going to be spending the day in the lab.

“Seems like your mothering instincts have only worsened in the past years,” Alexios mumbled without thinking as he pushed himself to his feet, his gauntlets clanking against each other from where they were tied to his waist as he stood. He only realized what he had said a few beats after the words had left his mouth, and silently, Alexios cursed himself. It was a callback to their childhood, where Julien had always been fussing over him. And he didn’t even know how much the mage remembered of what was said last night yet, so he had no way of knowing if that was something he should say.

Fuck, he needed sleep.

Waving away Julien’s concern, Alexios shook his head as he rolled his shoulders, cracking his neck. “Sleeping comes before eating,” he drawled, blinking rapidly several times to try and force himself into more wakefulness. “Solaris should be…somewhere nearby.” Unless she’d gotten her wish to spend the night with Helen. Then gods knew where she could be. “Once we find her, you can get on with whatever it is you usually do in the mornings.”
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix
mood: anxious?!

The tension in Julien's posture eased slightly with the sound of Alexios' sleep-addled voice. A subtle sigh of relief escaped him, reassured by the notion that, at least for now, it seemed the mercenary did not intend to dredge up the mage's unrestrained confessions from the previous night—a small mercy. While alcohol had loosened his tongue before, Julien wasn't sure what to say now while sober should Alexios question him about his candid outpouring of emotions last night.

In response to Alexios' description of the tavern as an 'exposed area,' a muted chuckle danced in Julien's eyes. The very idea of a simple bar being termed as such seemed ludicrous to the mage, given that the most perilous element present there was arguably Felix's penchant for bad puns. "What? Need backup for a few drunken scholars?" Julien teased, the corner of his lips quirking slightly with amusement. "I really don't think you would've won that argument with Solaris," he added, a playful glint shimmering in his eyes.

At the jab about his 'mothering instincts', the mage scoffed as his ears warmed in embarrassment. While the intimate familiarity of their repartee was welcome after so long apart, he had not anticipated such pointed jabs about past weaknesses now exposed. It seemed his wish for glimpses of their former closeness was indeed a double-edged blade, cutting both ways. "They - They have not!" Julien protested, resisting the childish urge to stomp his foot. "I am simply ensuring you are fit to carry out your duties, nothing more," he insisted. He definitely wasn't worried about Alexios' health and well-being. The denial felt half-hearted even to his own ears.

The metallic clank of Alexios' gauntlets diverted his attention briefly. Julien's gaze lingered on them, recalling the warmth he'd felt when Alexios tapped his chin with the metal-clad fingers. He wondered what sort of magic powered them and how Alexios got his hands on such an artifact. It seemed it was capable of fire magic - the complete opposite of his family's too. A brief contemplation flitted through his mind — would his research, if successful, awaken fire magic in Alexios, or would it be his family's ice magic? He dismissed the thought, deeming it too early to entertain theories he had no intention of testing. The unpredictability of the research made human trials impractical at this stage anyway.

He slid past the mercenary to walk over to his desk by the window, shuffling through his notebooks and pens. While unnecessary for the day, he wanted something to occupy his hands. Julien was careful not to include anything about the research in his journals. Most contained simple sketches of botany, task reminders, or snippets of poetry he found in his readings — useless to anyone attempting to snoop on his important work.

Casting a casual glance over his shoulder at Alexios, he inquired, "How did you manage to get inside last night?" The mage was certain his keys hadn't accompanied him during his hasty escape through the window, and with Alexios evidently carrying him, scaling the wall seemed implausible - which meant the other man had definitely lockpicked his way in.

The thought of his peers bearing witness to such unconventional entry left Julien less than enthused. He had hoped to avoid generating gossip about himself and Alexios among his fellow scholars if possible. After rummaging in a drawer, Julien withdrew a spare key and crossed the small room, coming to stand before Alexios. Their close proximity in the cramped space brought that intoxicating memory flooding back—the solid heat of Alexios' body caging him against the bar. What on earth had possessed Alexios to do that, Julien didn't know, nor he dared ask.

"Here... so you don't have to break into my room again," said Julien, offering they key to his room. "Not that there will ever be a repeat of last night..." He mumbled the latter, deliberately avoiding eye contact with Alexios as his gaze fixed on some irrelevant point beyond one broad shoulder. The mage cleared his throat. "How do you propose we locate your partner, then?" he asked, changing topics quickly.

code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr

Though Julien was joking about the need for backup in the bar, Alexios wasn’t entirely flippant about it himself. Bars were often a gathering place for unsavory sorts of folks, even here at the Academia. After all, it wasn’t as if Alexios had gone to the mainland when he started getting into fights and began slipping into drug usage. He’d gotten his start here, in the little towns surrounding the Academia. If Julien thought they were safe from such things just because of their proximity to the Academia, he was sorely mistaken. It was another harsh reminder of how truly naive about the world that Julien was. It was going to be his undoing in the end, for even now, it made him easier for Alexios to manipulate as he pleased.

“Ah, yes, because bar fights never happen,” was all he drawled instead, his voice still thick with the need for sleep. “That shit gets very vicious very fast. You seem to be a regular there from how you were interacting with…” Alexios snapped his fingers, trying to remember the handsome bard’s name, “Felix.” Yes, that was it. Felix the elf, who Alexios was still wondering if he could catch at a time when they were both off duty. “Surprised you haven’t seen a bad one yet if you’re there with any sort of frequency.”

Julien’s ears were quick to turn a faint shade of red when Alexios teased him, and a faint smirk flickered across his features as he watched the mage huff like a child. He tilted his head, some hair falling across his face. “I’m not fit for carrying out my duties right now,” Alexios snorted. “Hence, why we’re going to find Solaris.” Honestly, there was no telling where she might have gotten off to this morning, but Alexios prayed that she would be by sometime soon. And then he could collapse on the floor and get his bearings about him so he could better figure out exactly how he wanted to play this whole complicated thing with Julien to convince the man to let Alexios near the research Annalise was working on.

Leaning back against the wall, Alexios loosely crossed his arms over his chest as he watched Julien shuffle around all his notebooks. Damn, he could have looked in those last night while the mage was passed out. He should have thought of that. Well, he could do it while Solaris was watching Julien. “How do you think?” he replied dryly. “I picked the lock. Wasn’t all that hard really. I did it with one hand while still holding you. Which reminds me, probably better to get something sturdier to lock your door. Not even because of your mom’s research, just as a general rule of thumb.” It was pathetic, really, that Alexios had been so easily able to slip into Julien’s room last night. It was hard to believe the Academia locks were really that weak. Or maybe he was just used to picking them, since he had done it so often as a kid. It was practically second nature by now to pick one of the dorm locks.

Alexios’ eyes followed Julien as the mage walked back over to him, holding out a small key. He cocked a brow at Julien’s mumbled words and the way he was purposefully avoiding eye contact. Even in his current sleep-deprived state – or maybe because of it – Alexios couldn’t help but grin, taking the key, but his fingers slid over Julien’s hand as well, so when he pulled the key closer, Julien was forced to nearly fall against Alexios’ chest. “No repeat performance of last night?” he asked in a husky tone, tilting his head. “Shame. I had fun.” Well, until the part where Julien had broken down sobbing and decided to bare his soul because he downed too much alcohol too quickly. Extracting the key from Julien’s hand, Alexios twirled it between his fingers before pocketing it. “Might want a third one to give to Sol if you have one,” he switched topics so easily, the intimate note gone from his voice as he looked almost quizzically down at Julien, as though wondering what could have caused the mage to be so flustered.

He was about to say that waiting here in Julien’s room would probably be for the best to wait for Solaris to show up, but before he could, there was a sudden rapping at the door. “Good morning!” Solaris chirped from the other side. “I can hear you two in there – I know you’re up!”
code by valen t.

Solaris Koivisto
she has fire in her veins and embers in her eyes

After dumping Azurion on Julien for the night, Solaris had been quite eager to follow after Helen to her room for ‘tea.’ Well, it had definitely started as tea, with the woman only quite interested in making small talk about Solaris’ work and discussing the sort of teas that she had. Briefly, Solaris had tried to pry a little bit into the research that Helen was working with, but when that was quickly shut down, she left it alone for now. It was only their first day, after all, so she wasn’t surprised that they weren’t going to be able to get anything top secret out of these people yet. Truthfully, Solaris was surprised that she had even gotten a ticket to Helen’s quarters on the first night, but she certainly wasn’t complaining. Especially since Julien seemed all kinds of tied up in Azurion. She had a feeling that if she even tried to touch that mess by flirting with their charge at all, Julien would look at her like she’d grown an extra head and Azurion would be coming for her in her sleep.

While that had been disappointing at first, the appearance of Helen had quickly remedied that, giving someone else for Solaris to focus her attention on, both as a potential fun night and as a source of information on their secondary target. Helen was clearly rather interested in Solaris as well, which the fire spirit was quick to pick up on and latch onto. So, while Solaris had already been planning on letting Azurion take the first night with Julien, Helen’s offer simply sealed the deal.

And it had been going so well. Helen had gotten them both a cup of tea and they sat on the couch, casually chatting as Solaris inched closer until she and Helen were brushing against each other. The woman really was rather pretty, with her blue-gray hair haloed from the light flickering in the fireplace, gorgeous eyes hidden behind those thick glasses. It was difficult to see what color they truly were – a stunning ruby red – until Solaris was as close as she was. She’d been seeking the perfect moment to swoop in and claim a kiss when Helen had suddenly asked about her abilities.

Like a fool, apparently, Solaris had answered, all too happy to show off her magic, calling up a little ball of flame to toss back and forth between her hands. As soon as the fire had made an appearance, Helen was all but sprinting away from Solaris, shooting to the other side of the couch. Apparently, the woman was not fond of fire. Which would have been lovely to know beforehand so that she could have not thrown a fireball around right in Helen’s face. Solaris didn’t bother to ask why Helen was so spooked by it – the answer was always the same with people, they’d been burned before and didn’t want to be again – but she had kept her flames to herself after that.

The mood was considerably less sultry afterwards, quickly veering toward more scientific things as Helen questioned Solaris on her biology. How she worked as a fire spirit made of flame but still had a human form, how she was able to shift, the usual sorts of questions Solaris received from people who were unfamiliar with the fire spirits of I’tarif. Helen was hardly the first one to pose such questions to her and she would certainly not be the last.

Solaris had stayed for a while more to be polite, but she left soon after, citing the late hour as the reason she needed to get to bed to be ready to take over for Azurion in the morning. Sulking, she’d gone back down to where Julien’s room was, making herself comfortable in the small living area outside of his actual room before drifting off to sleep on the couch. When she later learned of Azurion and Julien’s escapades out to the bar, she’d surmise that she had returned after the pair of them had gotten back.

Now that morning had arrived, it was time for her to give Azurion the break he probably desperately wanted from Julien. Solaris was an early riser, so when she awoke, she didn’t hear anything from inside Julien’s room, so she went off to find herself something to eat. It took her far too long, honestly, to figure out where she could get food, but eventually, she managed to find something to satiate herself, and she decided to be nice and bring some back for Azurion as well.

By the time she returned to the room, Solaris caught the muffled sounds of talking inside, so she made her way up to the door and rapped on it. “Good morning!” she called in a chipper tone. “I can hear you two in there – I know you’re up!” Shuffling around could be heard before Azurion opened the door, looking rather haggard, more than he usually did after his first night shift on a mission. Solaris cocked a brow as she looked up at him, holding up a pastry she’d snatched for him. “You look like shit,” she grinned, causing him to roll his eyes.

“You sound so pleased about it,” he grumbled, grabbing the pastry from her hands and taking a large bite of it. Azurion waved vaguely at Julien. “He’s all yours now – I’m getting some sleep.”

“Oh! Before you do,” Solaris stepped in front of him, causing Azurion to groan. “Mr. Delacroix, I noticed yesterday that the room over there,” she gestured to the opposite room on the other side of the living space, “seems rather empty. If no one is staying there for the moment, do you think anyone would mind if whichever of us wasn’t on night shift slept in there?”
code by valen t.

Last edited:
Julien Delacroix

Julien was all too aware of how alcohol leading people to make bad decision and leading to fights. But - "Felix usually has a handle on bar fights. His music manipulates emotions," he answered. More than once, Felix's lute had lulled a brawl before fists could fly. And Julien's own skills lay in avoiding confrontation, not courting it. At the first signs of tension, he would make for the exit, keeping well clear of the rising tempers. Not his place to intervene.

Alexios telling him that he was holding him one hand while picking the lock brought a fresh wave of embarrassment to the mage. He wasn't that light was he? Frowning, Julien concentrated on rummaging through his desk.

"Duly noted," the mage replied, barely suppressing a desire to roll his eyes. "I can ask someone to put a strong arcane lock on the door to put you at ease," he added, his tone thick with sarcasm as he approached Alexios. The mage was certain that, other than the incident yesterday, the Academia was perfectly safe. Such heightened security measures were unnecessary. Soon, Alexios would be bored out of his mind following Julien around, he was sure of it.

Julien would later realize that even with Alexios, he wasn't entirely safe. But for now, the mage was perfectly fine holding onto his naive beliefs.

Caught unawares by the pull, Julien stumbled, suddenly a lot closer to Alexios than he had been before. His breath hitched at the rumble of Alexios’ voice so near, feeling every word like a caress against his skin, the words making his pulse thrum in response. The tone made his throat dry, the suggestiveness behind them making his mind go into overdrive. Alexios had flirted with him before, those strong fingers tilting his chin up as desire swirled in his eyes. But why? Why toy with him so, stoking the flames only to pull away? Julien stared, lost, as Alexios returned to casually leaning against the wall. His pulse still raced from the brief proximity, leaving him dizzy with conflicting emotions. He barely heard the words he'd said afterwards.

"Fun? Even the part when I bit you?" Julien managed to comment with a frown, trying his best to understand the other man's behavior and failing. Alexios had always been unpredictable, but this game of push and pull confused him utterly. "I see you've developed some masochistic tendencies over the years..."

Relief washed through him as Solaris interrupted whatever response Alexios might give. Her presence pulled Julien back into focus, and he welcomed the distraction. He walked over to the duo, uttering a simple 'good morning' to the fire spirit. He wondered if she was always in such high-spirits early in the morning. The contrast between her and Alexios was almost hilarious.

Shrugging at her question, he glanced towards the empty room. “I don’t think anyone would mind. It’s been empty for a couple months.” Though the space was small, Julien had been very grateful that he at least didn't have to share it with another person. Now with two other people constantly around him and staying at the dorm, well, it was certainly going to be an adjustment. Being handed over from one bodyguard to another made Julien felt like he was being babysat. He didn't like it. That was also going to be another difficult adjustment for him.

The mage squared his shoulders. "Right. Let's get going." He glanced at Alexios, glad that he now had some food in his hands. Julien had been planning to come back to deliver some food to the other, but now there was no need for it. Just as well, if Alexios was going to continue teasing him for his mothering. "I'll see you later then," he said as a goodbye, leaving Alexios to figure out on his own where he wished to sleep.

Leaving the dorm with Solaris at his side, the mage led them both down the halls towards the canteen where he planned to grab a quick bite to eat before heading to the laboratory.

Julien wondered if the other mercenary knew that Julien had attempted to sneak out and that Alexios had followed him to the tavern. He studied the mercenary discreetly, hoping to glean some insight. "How was your night, Solaris? Did you sleep alright?" he asked conversationally to test the waters.

As they approached the canteen, the smell of breakfast grew stronger and stronger. Researchers and students alike were starting to amble towards the canteen in a murmur of early morning activity. The bustling activity of early-risers created a low hum of morning chatter. Julien typically didn't linger; he'd snatch a hasty meal for the day, consuming it on his way to the greenhouses. As they lined up, he turned toward Solaris.

"How long have you and Azurion worked together? You two seem very familiar with one another," he remarked, stealing a glance at the fire spirit before returning his focus to the line. The public setting allowed him ease in using 'Azurion.' Though he was sure there wouldn't be anyone gawking at him for using the Alexios' name, he was almost afraid to in public. Perhaps the warnings last night had rubbed off on him after all.

And now that he was alone with Solaris, he wondered if he'd be able to get some information out of the other mercenary about her partner. She was sure to be tight-lipped about most things, given her familiarity with him, but there were still some surface level questions that Julien hoped he would get answers to and perhaps fill in the gaps of knowledge he had about Alexios in years he'd been missing.
code by valen t.

Solaris Koivisto

When Julien revealed that the side room attached to his had been empty for several months, Solaris lit up. “Wonderful!” they exclaimed, clapping their hands together. “Then that will be the perfect place for whichever of us is off duty to stay for the time being.” Waltzing over to the room, she drew a line down in the air, pulling open a small pocket space – a simple spell that nearly anyone with a basic understanding of magic could do, considering how useful it was for storage – from which she withdrew a few bags and tossed them onto the ground. Azurion was quick to follow in after them, not bothering to change his clothes before he was already collapsing onto the bed.

Perching on the side for a moment, he gave a mocking salute to Solaris as he shrugged his shirt off over his shoulders before dropping back against the pillows. “Don’t have too much fun without me,” he drawled out, already rolling over on his side, content to fall asleep. Solaris cocked a brow at the sight, watching for a moment as he turned his back to her and Julien. Strange. Azurion was almost acting as if he couldn’t get away from Julien fast enough while playing it off as exhaustion. But she’d been partnered to him long enough to know that something was off. She just wasn’t sure what yet.

Still, it wasn’t as if she could do anything about it for the moment, merely shutting the door behind her and turning back to look at Julien, who still seemed to be waking up, but dragged himself out of the dorm anyway. Solaris walked by his side, a bit of a bounce in her step, as he led the way through the halls toward what ended up being a sort of mess hall. To Solaris, the Academia seemed to be an incredibly interesting place. Functioning as both a school, research institution, and court of law, somehow, the building managed to make it work. She remembered being skeptical the first time she had heard about the Academia, wondering just how a place would function with so many moving parts. But after Azurion had talked about it and now that she was seeing it for herself, Solaris was quite impressed with what had been built here. Everything seemed to be woven perfectly together, allowing each part of life here to smoothly move past each other without anyone getting in anybody’s way. It was fascinating.

Having just recently been to the mess hall herself to collect breakfast for herself and Azurion, Solaris was content to look around and see the many people who were ambling about their days, trying to get a good start to their mornings before throwing themselves into work. There were many tables spread out in the large room where people could sit and several bar-like counters that were serving a variety of food. Solaris had been surprised when she first came to see the many options available, with some even coming from her home country of I’tarif. Which had been where she ended up going for food. It had been a long time since she’d tasted something from home.

They straightened to attention when Julien spoke to them, breaking the silence hovering between the pair. A sheepish smile crossed briefly over Solaris’ face. “Ah, it wasn’t as good as I was hoping it would have been,” they admitted, unabashed in admitting that if the night had gone perfectly, she would have been leaving a certain other researcher’s bed that morning. “Got pulled to a bit of a sudden stop with the discovery that Ms. Daeris is…not the biggest fan of fire. Any of your other coworkers share that same fear? I would hate to cause undue distress again without meaning to.” Even though she was made of flames, Solaris could contain herself to her human body and simply not use her magic unless it was absolutely necessary. They were well aware that fire was often seen as dangerous, and they preferred not to further enforce that idea in people’s minds by carelessly swinging her flames around. “How about you, Mr. Delacroix? Azurion didn’t give you any trouble last night, did he?” Her voice was playful, but she was wondering what might have happened to put Azurion in such a mood this morning.

Solaris wasn’t surprised when Julien began questioning about Azurion, but she knew she had to be careful in what she said. Sometimes, he tended to shake up his story, and they had no doubt he had done that here in the place he had once called home. But they had no way of knowing what he’d said, so they had to answer vaguely. “Hmm, been a couple of years, I think?” she answered after a moment. “Honestly, it’s hard to remember though. I never really got into the habit of keeping track of passing time. When you’ve been around a few centuries everything kind of starts to blur together.” It had been true once, before she came to the Cross, and only certain days out of the year were important, but she’d since learned to keep better track of time. Still, it excused her from having to give a definitive answer to Julien and risk contradicting something that Azurion had already told the mage.

“As for our familiarity? Well, you tend to get pretty close with people pretty quickly when you throw them into life-or-death situations,” she laughed airily, completely unfazed by the idea. “You know, I saved his life a couple of times, he saved mine a couple of times. It all evens out in the end. But I know I can watch him to trust my back and he knows he can trust me to watch his. A close bond is vital for people like us. If we couldn’t trust each other completely and implicitly, then we would be putting both ourselves and our clients at risk.”
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix

Solaris's response hinted at a night spent in Helen's room, a revelation that struck Julien with surprise. He had presumed their paths diverged once he'd "retired" for the night, not that they departed together. That certainly explained why Helen had been hovering around his room last night. He wasn't sure what to make of that. Were mercenaries like Solaris even allowed to 'fraternize' while on the job? It was a question that mulled in Julien's mind.

"Not that I'm aware of,"
Julien responded, shaking his head. "It must be the lingering effects of the attack from that fire mage a couple of weeks ago when they first tried to break in," he explained further. "Helen's quite brave. I believe she just needs some time to adjust, given the recent attack," he added, the spontaneous bout of attempting to 'wingman' for Helen surprising even himself. Perhaps it was because in the time that he'd known her, he hadn't actually seen her express such an interest in anyone so he felt the need to assist.

At Solaris's question, Julien's hand instinctively rose to scratch his earlobe, a flicker of embarrassment tainting his expression as he contemplated recounting his escapade from the prior night. "Trouble? Not precisely," he began cautiously, collecting his thoughts. Given how familiar Solaris and Alexios were with one another, Julien figured she would hear about it anyway, so he deemed it unnecessary to conceal the truth. "I think I'm the one who gave him a bit of trouble," he admitted. Alexios had looked bone-tired in the morning, and Julien wondered if it was because they'd stayed out so late. Or perhaps it was because he had dumped all of his emotions on him while drunk. The thought made him feel slightly guilty. "I attempted to slip away to the tavern alone, and he followed me there. Then he ended up carrying me back to my room because I had... well... passed out," Julien explained coughing into his fist in embarrassment as he cleared his throat.

It wasn't surprising to hear that Alexios and Solaris had known each other for years. If their familiarity hadn't already given it away, the way Alexios had spoken about how his friends and family were only the Cross now certainly did. What was surprising however, was to hear the fire spirit's comment about how long she's lived.

"A few centuries.... how old are you?" Julien couldn't help but ask, though he immediately followed it up with, "I apologize if that's a rude question to ask." He hadn't met many elemental spirits before. He'd studied and heard of them yes, but to have a prolonged interaction with one was certainly new for him.

"I see,"
the mage murmured after Solaris finished. There were many things going through Julien's mind in that moment. Life or death situations... it was hard for him to truly comprehend the depth of the dangers they faced with how sheltered of a life he'd lived thus far. He contemplated just how much he'd have to rely on Solaris and Alexios in the upcoming weeks. A part of him hoped that it wouldn't be much, but then that would mean that the contract would end early. And while it was an inconvenience... Julien realized then that he didn't want the contract to end early.

"It's nice that he's had someone to watch his back out there. I'm glad that he's formed a close bond with you then,
" Julien finally expressed sincerely.

Having reached the end of the food line, Julien purchased a sweet red-bean roll and turned to inquire if Solaris desired anything to eat before they resumed their journey to the laboratory. Taking a bite of his roll as they walked, he savored the sweetness of the filling enveloping his palate.

With the topic of bonds lingering in his thoughts, Julien had a pressing question to pose to Solaris. One he found his curiosity piqued by immensely.

"What about clients? Do you develop any... 'bonds' with them, or is it strictly transactional?" he probed, casting a sidelong glance at Solaris. Julien had no way of telling if the fire spirit would tell him the truth. Surely, there must be an element of attempting to impress the client for the most monetary gain, but he wasn't sure if Solaris would admit to it. Yet, he decided to ask anyway, curious about her answer.
code by valen t.

Solaris Koivisto

As expected, Helen’s fear came about as a result from an encounter with a fire mage who had ended up burning her. She remembered someone else making reference to the fact that the team had been attacked for their research, which only made Solaris more curious about the sort of things they were looking into. It also made her wonder how Reaper had ended up hearing about it, and if their boss actually knew what Analise Delacroix was looking into or if she just knew it was something that could end up being useful. Solaris felt as though there was still a lot of mystery about this mission, and it set her a little more on edge than she wanted to admit. She was used to gathering as much intel as possible before going into something like this, but this time, she and Azurion were basically flying blind. And now that she had accidentally fucked up a potentially great lead in Helen, that left fewer places for them to get the information they needed.

A faint smile flickered over Solaris’ features as Julien tried to reassure her that Helen would likely get used to her soon enough. The spirit wasn’t too sure about that, considering the pure terror that had been etched into the researcher’s face last night. “Maybe,” she agreed halfheartedly. “But I also wouldn’t blame her if she didn’t. Fire is dangerous. I can’t fault people for being wary around it.”

The look of embarrassment that came across Julien’s face when Solaris asked about what had happened last night had the spirit’s curiosity piqued. “Oh?” she asked, a teasing smirk curving the corners of her lips. “It’s pretty hard to give Azurion trouble. Whatever could you possibly have done?” She tilted her head as the mage haltingly explained the escapades he and Azurion had gotten into the previous night, but instead of finding some answers about why Azurion had seemed so exhausted this morning, Solaris only had more questions. He should have loved going to a bar, not seemed exhausted by it the next morning. Or maybe it had something to do with what happened when Julien was drunk… Solaris wondered what sort of things he may have said to Azurion. Clearly, there was a lot of unresolved tension between them, and Julien seemed quite terrible at keeping his emotions in check already, so it made sense he would be even worse at it when drunk. He must have said something to Azurion, tried to bring up something from their shared past. Now, she was just going to have to figure out a way to make Azurion admit to what had happened. “Please, I doubt that caused him any real trouble,” Solaris waved Julien’s concern aside. “It would hardly be his first time carrying some passed out drunk home from a tavern.”

Solaris grinned as Julien asked about her age, feigning offense at the question. “It’s quite rude to ask a lady her age, you know,” she admonished him playfully before her face split back into a cheery grin. “Hmm…five hundred and something?” Solaris admitted after a moment of thought. Truthfully, she didn’t know her exact age. Too many years had passed where she didn’t count them. “Spirits of all kinds tend to have extremely elongated life spans, including us elementals. I was born in I’tiraf – well, ‘born’ as much as an elemental spirit can be.” Spirits of flame were born of fire. She’d never been a ‘child’ in the human sense of the word. The form she had now had always been her form from the moment she first took it. “But I got bored staying in the desert, so I left to explore other places. Wound up at the Cross, and the rest is history.”

“Close bonds are incredibly important when it comes to dangerous work,”
she hummed as they made their way through the line of food. Solaris waved off Julien’s offer of food, having already eaten, and only continued to follow him as he continued walking toward the laboratory. “It’s not only someone I can trust, but someone who also works well with me. Azurion and I could have been the best of friends, but if we didn’t compliment each other on the job, we’d be useless together in a fight. But luckily, we ended up being close friends and working well together in the field.” There had been some kinks in the beginning, of course, but now, they could practically read each other’s thoughts in a fight. That was a precious sort of bond to be able to form with someone.

Continuing on their way through the Academia, Solaris was careful to note the paths they took and she watched curiously at the other people moving about the halls. Her attention flickered briefly over to Julien when he asked about how they bonded with clients, a sly smirk pulling at her lips. “Trying to figure out if Azurion means anything by his flirting or if he’s doing it just to screw with you because the contract forbids him from acting on anything?” she asked innocently, a delighted amusement dancing in her eyes. Solaris was pleased to watch Julien fumble after she called him out, but she was kind enough not to let him be wondering for long. “We are whatever the client needs us to be. We attempt to foster good relationships with them, for obvious reasons, and we’re always open to forming deeper connections.” Well, what the client thought was a deeper connection, but for them, continued to remain shallow and base. “It’s up to the client. Like I said yesterday – if you want us to exist solely in the shadows and only make our presence known if you’re in danger, we can absolutely do that. But if you want to drag Azurion between your sheets, I doubt he’ll complain all that much.”
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix

"Human lifespans in comparison must be like a blink of an eye to you," Julien mused. The mage couldn't fathom the breadth of experiences she must have amassed over the centuries. The mere thought of witnessing the evolution of magic and science through such a lens left his mind reeling. "Have you returned to L'tarif since leaving? Would you visit again?" he asked curiously.

The more Solaris divulged about her close relationship with Alexios, the more Julien felt a twinge of longing deep within him. He couldn't help but reflect on his own connections—or lack thereof—in comparison. While he had cultivated friendships over the years, none seemed to mirror what Solaris described. Perhaps he had been searching for something akin to what she shared with Alexios—a bond forged through shared trials and unwavering trust. Attempts in filling it with strangers hadn't worked out well for him. And the friends he'd made over the last couple of years, while they were close, wasn't anything like what Solaris was describing. Perhaps he needed to drag Felix to a fight or something similar to bond over shared trauma. It would certainly be convenient to have someone around who could tell what he was thinking about without him expressing it out loud.

Solaris's playful response sent Julien into a momentary state of panic - it had him choking on his sweet roll, spluttering and coughing. The mage stopped walking, hitting his chest with his fist as he struggled to compose himself amidst her teasing. "That's - that's not at all what I was asking!" he protested, once he had finally swallowed down his food. Well... he was wondering it, but he hadn't said it aloud. It had been on the back of his mind ever since yesterday, fighting to push to the forefront since the memory of Alexios pinning him to the bar kept replaying in his mind.

"I'm sure Azurion doesn't mean anything by his 'flirting'. He's definitely doing it just to mess with me," Julien said once they continued walking again. "Besides... it would be highly inappropriate..." he added with a mumble. Things between them were complicated enough as they were... surely crossing that line wouldn't make things any better. The unimpressed look on Solaris's face made him feel the need to explain himself, thought it felt more like he was digging a bigger and bigger hole for himself. "We used to be friends - it would be awkward. And he wouldn't want to - I mean - not that I want to - well -" He decided perhaps it was best to just stop talking about it - Solaris looked like she was going to burst into laughter at any second.

"Oh look, we've neared our destination. The lab awaits - busy day, must be off!" Julien babbled. Thankfully, Solaris wasn't allowed to follow him inside so he could escape further teasing or complicated questions that gave him needless headaches. The doors of the research laboratory, sealed with a powerful enchantment, thrummed with energy as Julien neared it. He turned towards the fire spirit. "I'll be in here until late afternoon, possibly evening," he said, nodding at the door, the only point of entry into the lab. "See you later. It was nice chatting with you!" Julien bid goodbye with unusual exuberance. And then the mage all but fled into his sanctuary, heaving a relieved sigh once he passed through the barrier.

If Julien had hoped that immersing himself in his work would offer respite, he was sorely mistaken. Solaris's words, Alexios' flirting from the night before, the implication that he and Alexios could form a deeper connection - the mage was distracted with these thoughts all day as he toiled away in the lab, the bubbling of various potions and the clinking of glass apparatus, though keeping him busy, provided little solace from his thoughts wandering back to the conversation with Solaris. At some point, Min-Jae had dropped by to check in on his progress, but Julien wasn't paying much attention to the other either. He could feel it. The prototype was close, the miracle drug close to completion. If he could perfect this, then anyone could wield magic - Alexios could wield magic.

His thoughts always went back to him. Julien hoped Alexios was having a good rest back in his room.

"I can take over from here," Min-Jae's voice broke through the haze, accompanied by the gentle clink of glassware as he approached Julien.

"Ah, but it's almost finished. I can see it through," Julien insisted, though his words lacked conviction.

"I think you could use a break. Didn't you say you had a meeting scheduled for today?"

For a few seconds, Julien tried to remember what Min-Jae was talking about. And then it hit him. The meeting with Robyn. Typically, such engagements were etched in his memory with unwavering clarity. The Valtyrs, notoriously elusive, made any form of communication a rarity, and Robyn served as Julien's sole connection to Alexios for years. However, with Alexios back in his life, the meeting had slipped his mind entirely.

"Shit, I'm late!"
This would be a first. Would Robyn still be waiting? Technically, it would probably be a blessing in disguise if they left - Julien wasn't sure if he could hide the fact that Alexios was back, being a somewhat terrible liar himself. He decided then that he would steer clear of any topics pertaining to Alexios, even if it was a little unusual for him. One of the main reasons Julien even started arranging a coffee or a drink with Robyn was so that he could ask about Alexios. And though the answer had always been the same, Julien hadn't stopped hoping that it would change every time he saw the youngest Valtyr sibling.

Bidding a hasty goodbye to Min-Jae, Julien emerged back outside from the laboratory, ready to sprint to the meeting so he could get it over with and shoo Robyn away. After what Alexios had told him last night, and knowing how much he didn't want to see his family, Julien couldn't afford to risk even a whisper of rumor reaching Robyn's ears about his brother's return.

Of course, none of his plans ever went accordingly for Julien Delacroix.

"What are you doing here?" Julien exclaimed when he got outside and his eyes landed on, not Solaris, but Alexios himself. And he'd changed his outfit too. If Julien thought the tight-fitting black shirt he was wearing last night looked good on him, then what he was wearing now looked ten times better. The cropped fitting showed off Alexios' toned stomach and arms, leather straps wrapping around his muscles - Julien's mouth went dry, and for a brief second, he forgot why he was even in a hurry as his eyes roamed the length of Alexios' physique.

"You - why - where is Solaris?" he eventually managed to say, his voice slightly cracking at the end. Gods, he needed water.
code by valen t.

Solaris Koivisto

“Sometimes,” Solaris shrugged idly. “But after a while, you get used to it. Although it’s a bit of a demeaning comparison, human lives to me are akin to the lives of pets to you. If you had a dog, you wouldn’t really think about the fact that its life was so much shorter than yours, right? You just know that’s how it is and how the world works. Essentially, I have similar feelings about human lives. The shortness of your lives compared to mine just…is.” Humans were always amazed by those who had longer lives than them though, which was something Solaris had never understood. There were so many species in the world with extended lifespans, and yet humans always seemed astonished by them each time. It was rather confusing. She would have thought that they would have become accustomed to such a thing by now.

At the question of whether or not she would ever return to I’tiraf, Solaris only shrugged again. “Maybe!” she chirped. “But probably not anytime in the near future. I’ve gotten too used to the differences of scenery here on Creulixune. I don’t think I’d feel very much at home in the deserts anymore.” Though her tone gave no indication of it, Julien’s words brought up some painful memories that the spirit would prefer not to relive. Truthfully, the answer was no, she would never return to I’tiraf. Not after the circumstances under which she had left the continent. Every day, Solaris longed to see the golden dunes of her home again, but she simply wasn’t in a place where she could go back again. And she didn’t think she ever would be. But that wasn’t something that Julien needed to know. Especially when even Azurion didn’t know the reason she had left her desert home behind her.

As expected, her teasing about Azurion ignited the desired reaction in Julien, sending the man into a panicked fit. Solaris grinned widely, looking incredibly smug as the mage scrambled to try and claim he hadn’t been implying that at all. “Inappropriate?” Solaris raised a brow. “Oh my, should I not have implied I was looking to sleep with Helen last night before our evening came to a sudden close? I would hate to appear unprofessional.” It would be quite hypocritical of Julien if he tried to say that it was okay for Solaris to chase after Helen while maintaining that it would be improper for him to do the same with Azurion.

Clasping her hands behind her back, Solaris pressed her lips together to try and suppress her grin as she skipped along beside Julien. “Azurion doesn’t flirt with someone if he has no intention of following through on it,” she said in a sing-song voice. “So it’s hardly just to mess with you. So what if you used to be friends? He’s a great lay – yes I’m speaking from experience – so you shouldn’t let a little history stop you. Might even be able to work out some of that tension too~!” At this point, Solaris felt as if she was playing a game with herself to see how red she could get Julien’s face to turn. And the answer was about the shade of her flames, which made it even harder to suppress her amusement.

Unfortunately, her entertainment came to an end as they reached the lab, and Julien was quick to bolt off and leave her behind. Solaris watched him go, keeping the delighted smile pressed onto her face, but her attention was now far more focused on watching as Julien messed with the enchantment guarding the doors to the laboratory. Her eyes narrowed slightly, tilting her head as she tried to figure out the key, but when he turned back around to her, Solaris’ expression had once again shifted to her easygoing one. “Alright, I won’t be going anywhere then!” she hummed in reply, waving her fingers at him until he disappeared into the lab.

Only when he was gone did her expression fall. Sighing, Solaris leaned against the nearby wall, preparing herself for a long, boring day.
code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr

Sleep was a much needed respite, and when Alexios’ eyes slowly opened in the late afternoon, he felt much better than he had when he had left Julien and Solaris. Already, his mind felt more clear, and the anxieties he’d been feeling last night over being forced to lean into his plan about acting like he was letting Julien closer to him again felt fainter, though they were still very much present. Annoyingly enough, it was the first thing on his mind as he lay on the bed staring up at the ceiling. He heaved a sigh, dragging a hand over his face as he pushed himself up and out of the bed. Tricking Julien like this was certainly going to take a toll on him. But it was necessary for the mission. He just had to…be authentic without revealing his true emotions about everything. He could do that. Right?

Well, he was practiced doing it in front of strangers. It was a lot harder when he couldn’t make up some completely new backstory for himself and he had to think about the things he actually went through.

Glancing out the window, Alexios noted that the sun had already begun its descent in the sky, and he swore softly under his breath. He hadn’t meant to sleep this late. It was going to be harder to fall asleep that night, which he needed to do, so he could watch Julien tomorrow morning. Cursing himself inwardly, he scrambled for his bag, pulling out a new set of clothes and shrugging it on. He didn’t pay much attention to what he chose, just tossed it over his head and hastily threw his hair up in his usual ponytail.

While he was tying his gauntlets to his waist, Alexios noted the palm of one of them glowing softly, flashing at intermittent intervals. “Ah, fuck,” he muttered, scrambling for the door and throwing it shut behind him. The glow meant that Solaris was calling for him, probably wondering where the hell he was to take over for her for the afternoon. The glow on his gauntlet was a charm she’d placed, something simple that allowed them limited communication while they were within a certain distance of each other. It could go both ways, thankfully, so they could both call to each other. Solaris was good at coming up with ways for the pair of them to overcome Alexios’ magical deficiency.

Striding through the Academia halls, Alexios kept an eye on the glowing spot on his gauntlet. The closer he got to Solaris, the faster and brighter it began to flash. Admittedly, it did take him some time to figure out where the hell she was, having to retrace his steps and double back several times – pathetic, really, considering how long he had lived here – but eventually, he found his way to the lab, the sight of Solaris causing the light on his gauntlet to fade away.

“Took you fucking long enough,” Solaris drawled as Alexios darted over to her, a sheepish look on his face. “I’ve been trying to get a hold of you for like two hours.”

“Overslept,” was the only thing he said in reply, glaring at the spirit when she turned a questioning gaze on him. “Don’t mention it.”

“Alright, alright,” she rolled her eyes. “Well, you get to stick around with him for later into the evening then since you took ages to get here.”

“Whatever,” Alexios rolled his eyes, biting back his sigh. “You going to explore?” Exploring for them would mean gathering more information about the clients and their job and trying to find out anything they could about this mysterious research Julien’s mom was working on.

“Yep!” the spirit confirmed, pushing herself off the wall. “And maybe get a drink. Don’t worry, I’ll get one for you too.”

“Ha, ha,” he drawled, rolling his eyes, knowing damn well he couldn’t drink this early while still working. “You’re hilarious, Sol.”

“Aw, thanks!” she grinned, reaching up and tapping his nose. “Have fun with your little boy toy. I’m sure he’ll be rather excited to see you when he gets out!” Alexios started to open his mouth to ask what the hell Solaris was talking about, but before he could, she grinned, her body evaporating into flame as she trailed off toward the ceiling, floating down the hallway away from him.

“Gods, what did she do,” Alexios grumbled, claiming Solaris’ position for himself. His mind jumped around trying to figure out what she could have possibly met, but luckily – or maybe unluckily – it was only maybe half an hour before Julien was rushing out of the lab, looking extremely frazzled, an expression that only worsened when he laid eyes on Alexios.

Of course, the mercenary noticed the way Julien’s eyes wandered over his body, prompting Alexios to actually look down and take stock of what he’d chosen to wear. An amused look flickered across his features as he realized, looking back up at Julien with a lazy smirk. “Well, I was going to ask if you saw something you liked, but apparently you don’t, if you’re looking for Sol.” He raised a brow, pushing himself off the wall and sauntering over to Julien. “She’s on her break now. But I’m sure if you don’t want to deal with me, we can find her.” That might be easier on everyone. Alexios could take the night shifts when Julien was asleep. He would be perfectly fine with that.

As expected though, Julien denied such things, hurrying to try and give a half-hearted explanation for his reaction. The mage almost looked panicked, which caused Alexios’ eyes to narrow in some suspicion, but he didn’t ask anything further when Julien haltingly said he had a meeting he needed to get to. Tilting his head, Alexios extended a hand out in front of him, gesturing for Julien to lead the way to wherever this meeting was. If he was late, then that could explain his panic. But something about the way he was acting still had an uneasy feeling settling in Alexios’ stomach.

Julien ended up leading him outside of the main Academia building, following a short walkway to a small café building. It wasn’t one that Alexios recognized, so it must be fairly new. Silently, he trailed after Julien inside. Apparently, the person he was supposed to meet wasn’t here yet, so Alexios excused himself to stick to the edges of the little building. It had a rather cutesy vibe to it, making him feel like he stuck out like a sore thumb. Still, Alexios did his best to blend into the background, his eyes following Julien as the man took a seat at one of the center tables in the building. His gaze constantly swept the area, looking for any sign of a threat. No one here fit the bill currently, but that was always bound to change. Which meant his eyes were drawn to the door every time it opened, analyzing every person that walked in and assessing their threat level.

So, when a head of pinkish hair bobbed through the café doorway, Alexios froze, his mouth going dry. His heart started pounding wildly, blood rushing through his ears, as he watched the man weave gracefully between the tables to where Julien was sitting. Even from this distance, Alexios could see the man mouthing an apology, even though his head was suddenly too hazy to actually hear it himself. What was Julien doing meeting him here? What business could he possibly have with Julien? Alexios cursed the gods silently, berating them for his absolute shit luck. His second day here, and he was already being faced with his younger sibling.

Robyn Valtyr.
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix

“Azurion doesn’t flirt with someone if he has no intention of following through on it.” Solaris's words echoed in Julien's mind as Alexios smirked at him and made a comment about Julien's staring as the mage struggled to maintain a facade of nonchalance in the face of Alexios's knowing gaze. How could he not stare? Julien was used to seeing long, flowing robes or mages in dull, drab attire because most either didn't care about their clothing or they just didn't have the time to. And there certainly weren't many people around with Alexios's toned physique either, commanding attention wherever he went. Not to mention, it was Alexios, the person Julien had his eyes on ever since he was old enough to understand what having a crush meant.

"He’s a great lay – yes I’m speaking from experience..." Godsdamnit Solaris and her distracting words. He clenched his jaw, a surge of frustration rising within him at the unwelcome intrusion of such salacious thoughts. Julien didn't have the time to be thinking about such things! He couldn't afford distractions; there was no room in his meticulously ordered life for entertaining potential dalliances and tumultuous emotions.

Even if he was annoyed with Solaris, he would have definitely preferred seeing her over Alexios in that moment, because this meeting was definitely not one he was looking forward to attending with Alexios. But Julien didn't really have the luxury of choice. The sun had already begun its low descent, casting long shadows along the corridors of the Academia, and Julien Delacroix hated being late to anything.

"There's no time to look for Solaris, I'm already late for a meeting," Julien murmured, his voice tinged with a hint of urgency as he hastened his steps. The mage cast nervous glances towards the mercenary at his side, wondering if he should explain himself. He wasn't really sure where to begin. How could he explain that he's been keeping in contact with Alexios's family just so he could possibly hear any crumb of news about him? It was embarrassing. This was a conversation he really didn't think he was going to have with him.

Maybe Robyn wouldn't show up at all and Julien wouldn't have to explain.

"Um, so this meeting..." he said. "It's with someone I trust. You don't have to hover too close. Maybe if you could just stick to the shadows? It'd be quite startling for this person to see an intimidating bodyguard looming behind me, y'know?" he chuckled nervously, hoping Alexios would listen to him for once.

When they arrived and there was no sign of Robyn, Julien breathed a huge sigh of relief. Perhaps he wouldn't have to explain himself after all. Perhaps he could maintain the illusion of normalcy for just a little while longer. He decided to give it another five minutes before concluding that the Valtyr sibling wasn't going to show and then everything would be just fine.

If only it were so easy.

The pink haired mage arrived just a few minutes after Julien sat down at their usual table, sauntering over with a polite smile on his face as he apologized for his lateness. Julien mumbled something back, his own smile nervous as the hairs on the back of his neck prickled in response to Alexios' staring holes into his back.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

He hoped Alexios would stay at the back and that Robyn wouldn't notice the tall, glaring man in the corner. Fat chance of that happening, but still, a mage could hope.

"How've you been, Robyn?" Julien dove into small talk, desperate to keep the mage's eyes on him and not wander around the cafe and accidentally land on his brother. He was fiddling with his hands nervously under the table as he leaned forwards, eyes unblinkingly staring at the other mage as he forced a strained smile. "Well, I hope?"

code by valen t.

Alexios Valtyr

A thousand thoughts ran through Alexios’ mind as Robyn walked in through the door, their gaze sweeping the café with the same sort of natural instinct that Alexios himself displayed. He wished for nothing more in that moment to be able to melt into the wall behind him, or disappear in a flash of light, or be swallowed up the ground, quite literally anything that would get him out of this situation. But of course, no such thing happened, no matter how hard he prayed for it. As Robyn glanced over the café, Alexios prayed that if he couldn’t disappear, their eyes would miss him, but the universe had never been one to be kind to him.

He could tell the exact moment that Robyn saw him, their eyes locking for a brief moment. Alexios stiffened, jaw clenched as he watched the faintest hint of bewilderment shine in the depths of Robyn’s eyes. His brother stayed frozen in the doorway for just a second too long, making Alexio’s fingers twitch as he resisted the urge to reach for his gauntlets. But for some reason, Robyn…didn’t do anything. His pale gaze shifted from Alexios toward Julien, easily making his way through the tables to take a seat gracefully opposite the researcher, folding his hands neatly on the table in front of him. Over the rushing blood in his ears, Alexios heard them greet Julien apologetically, citing being held up by some students they were training as the reason for their tardiness.

Well, now he could see why Julien had been wanting Solaris to be following after him to this meeting. Why the fuck hadn’t the mage said anything? A warning would have been fucking nice, and then Alexios could have remained on guard outside instead of coming into the building. Sure, it was technically against protocol, but he didn’t give a fuck if it meant that he didn’t have to see his family. Why didn’t Julien tell him that he was going to meet Robyn? Why was Julien meeting with his brother at all?

Alexios’ heart was pounding wildly as he tried to figure out what to do from here. He had no idea why Robyn hadn’t said anything about his presence and why they seemed to be ignoring him, but it only put Alexios more on edge. His chest was tight, constricting his lungs painfully as he tried to remember how to breathe. He felt like a cornered animal, with a trap closing in from around him on all sides. Was Illia going to be coming too? Gods, if she showed up, she wouldn’t try and maintain the same facade of politeness displayed by Robyn. She’d come straight for his head. Fuck, she was going to be coming after him anywhere. There was no chance that Robyn didn’t tell her he was here. They’d always been close; the successful Valtyr kids, the ones who bravely followed in his father’s footsteps, their magicks perfectly complementary to each other. Illia had already been a bounty hunter when Alexios left, and the only thing stopping Robyn at the time had been his age. By now, Alexios assumed he would have already joined the ranks of hunters as well. And foursome godsforsaken reason, Julien had thought it smart to be meeting with them.

✧✦​

Julien Delacroix was an interesting person. Robyn had always thought so, ever since he first noticed the mage hanging around Alexios all the time. Their friendship had never quite made sense to him. Julien was like themself and like Illia: a rule follower, one who sought order, who tended to panic when things went awry. Alexios was the exact opposite of that in every way possible. Robyn would have assumed that their personalities would clash in the same way Alexios’ did with the rest of his family. And yet, the pair had been inseparable. In fact, Robyn thought that Julien somehow managed to temper Alexios, though they had never figured out how. It became rather obvious just how deep Julien’s influence on Alexios had been when the mage moved away though, and his elder brother went completely off the rails before disappearing.

Close to ten years. That was how long it had been since Robyn had last seen his brother. Honestly, he had expected to never run into Alexios ever again. So, seeing the man standing in the corner of the café, here back in his home, was…startling, to say the least. What was even more interesting was the ink painted onto his abdomen. It was the mark of The Sable Cross, a mercenary guild. A place that danced along the lines of what was legal and what wasn’t. They could see why a place like that appealed to Alexios.

Perhaps what was most interesting of all, however, was Julien’s reaction when they sat down at the table. The mage was so obviously trying to keep Robyn’s attention focused on him, which meant he knew fully well that Alexios was here. Had Julien hired a mercenary to protect himself after the issues that had been going on with his mother’s research? Admittedly, Robyn didn’t know much about the research details – it was highly classified, apparently, and even Robyn’s mother only knew the barebones of it – but it had seemed to have attracted a lot of attention. But why would Julien seek out a mercenary rather than the bounty hunters of the Academia for protection?

Had he known where Alexios was?

“I’ve been well, yes,” they answered Julien after apologizing for their lateness, their usual faint smile gracing their features. Their voice held a faint hint of a Rosalerian accent, something they had never been able to quite drop given that, unlike their siblings, they had been born during a stint their parents spent in Isolfr’s home country and subsequently spent their early years there. In a place like this, with so many people around, it was better not to cause a scene. He would have to feign ignorance to his brother for now, because he knew Alexios would likely explode if confronted. “And yourself, Julien? I hope your mother’s research has been coming along well? I was terribly sorry to hear about the attack your lab suffered. I heard one of your coworkers were injured – are they alright?”
code by valen t.

Julien Delacroix

Julien was terrible at small talk. He didn't know how people could keep blathering on about things like the weather or mundane details of their daily lives or whatever else it was that people talked about in regular conversation. He shifted uneasily in his seat as Robyn poised his question.

"Yes, the research has been going well. I might be close to a breakthrough if things keep going as they are," Julien answered slowly, feeling slightly confused on why Robyn hadn't mentioned Alexios. Surely they had seen him by now? Julien resisted the urge to glance over his shoulder. Maybe Alexios had left and wasn't actually in the cafe anymore?

"My coworker is fine now," Julien continued. He wasn't surprised that Robyn had heard about the attack. It had been the talk of the Academia for the past few weeks. "She's still healing but otherwise doing alright."

"How is Illia? And your parents?" Julien asked to be polite. This was usually the moment when he would order a coffee and a slice of cake and ask if Robyn had heard any news of Alexios - his usual, familiar routine. And then Robyn would say no, and Julien would ask about Robyn's travels while they ate and after they'd finished, they'd bid each other adieu. A short, simple meeting.

Despite the timely arrival of Julien's customary order, the anticipated reprieve remained elusive. The delightful aroma of freshly brewed coffee mingled with the sweet scent of strawberry cake, and while delectable, failed to provide the mage any solace. Instead, a mounting sense of anxiety coiled tightly within him, overshadowing the fleeting comfort of familiar indulgences. The deviation from their usual conversational script gnawed at him. That, and the fact that they weren't talking about the elephant in the room just wasn't sitting well with Julien.

"Ah - yes - so there was an attack yesterday too," Julien divulged in an attempt to fill the lull in conversation. "On me, this time," he added. "The Academia's security really needs to be tightened," he continued with a chuckle to downplay the situation, as if he hadn't been the one to let the assassin due to his own stupidity. "But, I'm fine! Everything was alright. My mother had hired some... bodyguards... and luckily they arrived on time to take care of the situation."

code by valen t.

Robyn Valtyr
let the rhythm of the water set your soul free

A brow raised as Julien claimed that his team might be close to a breakthrough in their research. That was interesting, to hear they might be close to reaching their goal at last. “Ah, really? How wonderful – I know many people have been speculating as to the nature of such research. I am sure they will be most curious to know how it will eventually turn out.” Robyn himself was quite intrigued by the final product of such research. While he had always intended to be a bounty hunter, some part of him had always been fascinated by the work of researchers. Being at the forefront of magical and technological advancement had to be an amazingly fulfilling experience. While hunting certainly had its uses – it was always necessary to bring people who broke the law to justice – Robyn had always been curious about what it would be like to improve people’s lives by creating something new.

Out of the corner of their eye, Robyn could still see Alexios hovering in the back of the café, seemingly frozen in place where he was standing. Some might have thought he was merely trying to minimize his presence, but Robyn knew better. They recognized fear when they saw it, and they could see the tension lining their brother’s body as clear as day. Perhaps it would be kinder to quell Alexios’ fear in some way, but Robyn wasn’t sure how to do that without causing a scene. Their brother had always been someone to lash out when he was cornered and they really didn’t want to cause a fight here.

“I’m glad to hear that Miss Daeris has been recovering well, despite everything,” Robyn acknowledged, glancing up as the waiter came to serve the food they each always ordered, placing the drink and cake down in front of Julien before depositing a sweet tea in front of the hunter. They gave a slight nod of thanks to the waiter before their attention turned back to Julien.

“Illia and my parents have been doing just fine,” he answered, lifting the drink to his lips and taking a sip, allowing the honeyed, refreshing taste to wash down his throat. “Life has been fairly typical for them. Illia and I haven’t had much to do recently, which in theory, is good, but admittedly, rather dull. Mother is keeping on top of things around the Academia, of course, and Father is enjoying teaching his classes.” When Isolfr and Elora had been unable to hide their relationship any longer, one of them had needed to step down from their position as a judge, as it would be incredibly improper for the Grand Judge to be dating any of the judges from the circuits when she oversaw them all. Isolfr had known how much the position of Grand Judge meant to Elora, so he had resigned, and focused instead on teaching and functioning as a relief bounty hunter when needed. That was what Robyn had been told, at least, since all those events had occurred before even Illia was born.

The news of an attack yesterday was enough to grab his attention though, as Robyn had heard nothing of the sort yet. “There was another attack?” they asked, tone suddenly rather serious. Their brows furrowed, wondering just how these people were managing to get inside the Academia. “You are correct,” they agreed somberly with the statement that security needed to be tightened around the Academia. For something like this to have occurred so soon after the last attack… “I will speak to my mother about how our defenses have become so weak.”

Tilting their head, Robyn took another sip of their drink as Julien rambled about how his mother had gotten guards for him due to the attacks. “Well, I am glad to know that someone is watching out for you,” they replied. “But what need did your mother have for seeking outside help? I am sure any of the hunters would have readily accepted such a task. I know Illia has been quite bored lately – I am sure she would have appreciated something to do.”
code by valen t.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back