Advice/Help Advice? Feeling stuck

Rareraven

I like to rp fandoms.
Is there anyone here who can help me? I’ve been trying to rp with people it’s just that it feels like I’m not portraying the character correctly or the vibe of the rp is thrown off by something.

It'd help to give more context on what you've been trying to do and how you're going into the situation.

No one is perfect. We all fail now and then. It is a matter of seeking help from partners to understand what went wrong. If the problem is known, we are halfway close to solution.

remember that they're your character. even if they're cannons, they're your version. nobody can do it quite like you can. and YOU rock. got it? good. you bring something unique and wonderful to your characters, and sometimes you just need a reminder that you might not write exactly like john dick or stanley, but if you did that would be boing. rp is a fun way to express yourself, not to copy a creator exactly and not to be exactly like someone else. people write with you because you rock.

Research, research, research. This also means exploring how others write. Sometimes it can be daunting asking for opinions and advice. So draw your inspiration from reading other people's work. Also, reading something with the same atmosphere of the role play will help wonders. Even if its just a chapter here or there of a book you enjoy. Helps warm up the brain. Cut out distractions. I usually advise people to turn off the computer and write something down. The tactile sensation and cut off from distractions really help. Even if you are just scribbling on a blank piece of paper. Computers release a florescent light that is sort of like the sun. It can cause a break in concentration or make you feel too energized or discombobulated to post. Also this can cause you to become insomniac. (Sleep is important for creativity too)

It's not a practice I always use but when I am really blocked. I break down my responses, chapter, whatever it is into sections.
Word count goal. Say its three hundred words. I break that into three sections of three paragraphs.
I think of a goal. What do I want to communicate? What ambiance do I want?
I need to write about a hundred words a paragraph.
Break that into three sections of a beginning, middle, end and conclusion. Communicating a goal.

I'll also glance through a dictionary or thesaurus. Pick out some words I like and it helps too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back