• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Academy for the Dark Arts

Newson

grant me eyes

Academy for the Dark Arts
73e929d3f0ebc91fa30ec4617de99f69.jpg
The dark arts have always been the forbidden and dangerous side of magic. Necromancy, conjuring, and even blood magic have all be considered some of the darkest fields of magic. A mortal human would believe the dark arts was something of fantasy and fiction. But ever since the beginning of the apparent “rule” of humans, the dark arts have been practiced all throughout the world. In fact, a secret world of inhumans and those humans who can use magic have been actively exploring and expanding their magical prowess. Academies for the usual fields of magic such as healing magic have been in practice for thousands of years, but the dark arts has been operating secretly for about the same amount of time. Only recently has the dark arts become mainstream in the secret world since the Mage’s Council passed the Equal Magic Education Act. The act allowed the equality of all fields of magic, and the education of those fields. The dark arts used to be a dangerous and un-containable field, but the leaders of arts agreed to contain it and stay within human and inhuman laws to be allowed to teach throughout the secret world in somewhat less secret.

In the modern world, the secret world has had an easier time keeping everything secret, which has allowed the dark arts to expand operations and operate in a much efficient way. Academies for the dark arts are popping up more and more across the world, and the academies are enrolling more and more magically-akin humans and inhumans who have an interest for the dark. The most diverse and well-traversed universities for the dark arts is Sageil Academy for the Dark Arts.
The academy teaches in a unique form of the dark arts. That being a form that binds spells to the user in forms of tattoos and marks onto the skin of the caster. Once a spell is learned to the point of using it, the tattoo will be burned into your skin through the magical essence in your body. The academy was founded by Regis Sageil, the first Sage to be a master of dark magic. The Sages of the secret world are a super rare inhuman who can predict the future, and who become savants in their predetermined field of magic. Regis rose through the ranks as the underdog of the magic world. He outperformed where many thought he’d fail, and he eventually surpassed his superiors. He founded Sageil Academy once he reached young adulthood at the age of 50. Sages usually live hundreds of years, and Regis was just getting started. He rose the Academy from its foundations to one of the top five schools for the dark arts. In his lifetime, he created a legacy that would succeed the new few generations of magic users. It is now Human Year (HY) 2017, and a new generation of magically-akin are enrolling into Sageil Academy. The school enters another year, and several hundred students come to its steps to learn the dark arts.

Our story starts here with the beginning of a new year. Your character is either a fresh face on campus, or they are a student returning for another year of learning. At Sageil, an average student will attend for four years, but students attempting to require a master's degree in the Dark Arts can stay up to twelve years. There are many different races of humanoids on campus, and within the codes of conduct for the school, racism and discrimination is illegal and can call for expulsion. Even a school about dark magic must have some shred of humanity. The plot will follow our characters through their years of education, and the problems that will arise through their four (or more) years.

More information like NPC information, character sheets, and additional lore will be shared if this gains interest.

I mostly plan for this to be a detailed roleplay. A minimum post length of 2-3 paragraphs must be maintained, and the best attendance you can give. I would like in-depth posts and characters, and just as much effort from you as I put into this. Please ask questions if you have any!

Thank you for taking time to read this, and I hope to see you join.

I'm interested. I enjoy writing what my characters are thinking when given the chance, so 2-3 paragraphs shouldn't be that hard, although if it comes to combat or other "split second" situations I might have trouble filling the space.

( Meawinda Meawinda , Eldarkon Eldarkon , Chiba Chiba , DatGuyWelbz DatGuyWelbz , marshmarrow marshmarrow , Gravitational Force Gravitational Force , Kent Kent , Blaire Wisteria Blaire Wisteria , Megeara Megeara )

Thank you everyone for taking interesting in this idea of mine. I put a lot of effort into creating this world, and in putting this out there. So I'm glad it received such good reception in less than 24 hours. Once I have some free time today, I will start to put the thread together. I will most likely start with releasing the rest of the lore, a list of important NPCs, locations, and anything that may help bring light to this story. Soon after I'll probably post the character sheet, and everyone can start working on their characters.

Again, thank you. :)

All right, so I'm generally very skeptical of these school-type roleplays, right, but not this one. I love the idea behind it and your writing style, and the coding most of all, but I just have a few questions.
  1. Are teachers playable?
  2. What's the character limit?
  3. What exactly are the Dark Arts? I mean, you said necromancy, conjuring, and blood magic. What's conjuring exactly? What are the limits of the Dark Arts? Does shadow magic count? What about voodoo? What' blood magic as well? What about transformation/shapeshifting?
  4. Do we use tools (wands, staffs, amulets...etc) or just rely on the markings?
  5. Are there race-based powers?
  6. Do people who don't use Dark Magic also have markings?
  7. Is there any conflict/plot?
  8. Are there any forbidden races?
  9. What are the limits of magic?
  10. Can someone be skilled in more than one type? (ie - Dark Arts and elemental magic)
  11. Can the markings/tattoos be concealed?

BDark BDark , I'm glad you took interest even though it isn't a trope you usually don't go for, and I'm glad you've asked these questions.
  • Are teachers playable? I'd prefer if teachers weren't since they are going to have a much higher grasp of the magic, therefore they would overpower other student players. I wanted the story to be more centered around the students. But if you offer a good, well-rounded character that is a teacher, I may consider it.
  • What's the character limit? Most likely a maximum of 3 for now. I want to keep it relatively small with characters per roleplayer, but if you are creating good content and characters, I may allow more.
  • What are the dark arts? I would consider these any form of magic that is something taboo and not considered heroic or for the greater good. This also includes spells that can cause damage to a person or thing, so fire and say lightning spells would be taught here. Shadow magic, the manipulation of darkness and shadows? Yes. Voodoo? Well most aspects. Popular belief says witch doctors can manipulate shadows (Shadow magic), conjuring, necromancy, and shape shifting. All should be allowed I believe. And blood magic would most likely be using the powers of your blood, or other's blood, to cast blood-related spells or powers. That could also include manipulating bodies with blood. Of course all of these powers would be within reason, and nothing too overpowered.
  • Rely on tools or just markings? The runes, or as they appear tattoos, are the main source. They are imbued with the magic inside your body and the magical forces throughout the world. They allow you to cast the spells themselves. Wands and staffs have been used in the past because they were believed to have added effects to spells, but the way Sageil Academy teaches spells, users can do without any tools.
  • Race-based powers? Some races will have abilities magic-using humans won't be able to. Nightcrawlers (basically an original race) have the ability to become invisible and stealthily move around. Most other races won't be able to do this.
  • Markings on non-Dark Magic users? Anyone who uses this specific field of magic learning would, but it is mostly unique to dark magic and Sageil Academy. I don't think we'll have any other magic users using runes throughout the roleplay other than those at Sageil.
  • Conflict/plot? There will be a story that will eventually surface. The roleplay will also circulate around the learning process of more spells for our students, and their adventures as young adults in the magic world. Eventually there will be a quite serious and dangerous plot that will affect the livelihood of everyone at Sageil.
  • Forbidden races? There will be fantasy races that aren't going to be in this roleplay. Races such as elves, dwarves, and the like will not be in this. Mostly made up or darker fantasy creatures will be involved. All the races I intend for are created all by me.
  • Limits of magic? I would like for most of the roleplayers starting off to be first-year students. These students will not have much of a grasp on dark arts, or magic in general. They may have some spells like a basic fire or healing rune that is taught to most magic users. More advanced and dangerous spells will be learned throughout the story. I might allow a character to have one dark magic skill that they have already learned or is in the process of learning.
  • More than one field? Inside the Dark Arts, a student can attempt to master many fields. A student may want to do necromancy and shadow magic, and that is doable. But I would like to keep everyone focused on the dark arts, and not to stray to passive or heroic forms of magic. This is meant to be a roleplay for the darker and possibly evil wizards, warlocks, magicians, and mages of the world. (I haven't found a term I like for magic users as a whole, it might end up being mage or magi.)
  • Runes, or Tattoos, being concealed? In Freshman Year Education (a required class for freshmen), a basic concealment spell is taught, and may even be a student's first rune. This spell will conceal runes for as long as you need. Concealment can be used to hide your magical powers in the human world, and it may even be used for deceit among students. Maybe you don't want to show that you earned that rune that can make someone's fingers fall off?
I hope I answered all of your questions. :)

Fun fact: in original roleplaying games like D&D and such, back when the were first developed, elves were considered an "always-only-evil" race #TheMoreYouKnow

Some interest here, I'll get more involved if I come up with an idea for a good character concept xD

Not a fan of school type RPs, but I've been wanting a magic centered RP for a while. The fact that this is moving away from goody-two-shoeness is a plus. Consider me interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back