• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Academy Aur and the Soul Weapons of Mundus

Illd

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in running a light RP in the veins of a Magical Academy set in the real world but within the protectorate of the 'Soul Academy' known as Academy Aur. The 'Magic' is the ability to use a soul to manifest a weapon, which is used in a variety of world saving ways. The Souls come from a variety of sources, some people use their own (extracting it from their body which has its own set of foibles and benefits ), a Deceased Twins, An Ancestor's Soul or other sources of souls. The weapons can be anything and everything and comes with a complimentary package of 99th percentile, strength speed and health. So yeah a little soul society without the afterlife or the Shinto baggage (unless you decide to bring it in) .

I'm looking for competent, young adult characters who want to study, learn and join the Academy Aur as permanent members to excel, please their family or for any number of reasons. Most of the game will be focused around Academy Aur, a collegiate institution that trains soul weapon users and acts as a repository of souls and lore for a new generation. I'd be glad to see some faction building with your character (aka detail your clan, family, etc).

A bit more information on souls.

We all got one, if you lose your soul your body goes on living but its like watching someone with Alzheimers. You may go on living but you're obviously not as much yourself as you should be. Eventually you will forget everything that made you , you and die in a mess. Thankfully souls themselves are remarkably efficient at preserving themselves, which is what presumably lead them to being used a weapons.

The Types of Soul Users,

Cannibals use their own soul, removing it from their own body to wield. There is a strong taboo about this as the technique to remove your own soul can be used to remove other people's souls. Cannibals are excellent at surviving at any cost and have strong necromantic overtones. There are no vampires (or other mystical creatures) but high level Cannibals are much much worst, legions of soulless bodies being lead by a Cannibal is a true threat to the Academy Aur.

Twins use their deceased Twin's Soul. Most Twin's are separated in the womb or early in life. Considered the faces and politicians of Soul Society. Twins are excellent at social and intellectual situations and cannot be parted. Twins never lose their powers. Exuberant, Powerful and Popular Twins are often the somewhat Tragic Heroes of their generation.

Ancestors have an Ancestral Soul that they pass along (some at retirement others at dead) their Family Lineage. The Ancient knowledge of the Ancestors are available to Ancestors in a way that no one else can match. Wisdom, Craftsmanship and Dedication mark an Ancestor making them invaluable in the ordinary world in a way that the other Souls cannot match.

Bounders are an rare enigma. Sometimes you just happen to have an extra soul or one latches onto you for seemingly no reason. Bounds are perceptive and good at solving mysteries perhaps preparing for one day solving their own. Bounders are bad at just about everything else, but can be exceptionally lucky and being outside the norm gives them an outsider status and leeway that no other soul would be allowed.

The Weapons.

So focusing the soul into the world gives it a form. Outside of this form it would only be a part (if a persistent part) of your personality. A sense of empathy or intuition and a collection of interests and talent. When formed into a weapon, the Soul becomes a real (if malleable) object that is always in the form of a real weapon, if seemingly magically enhanced. They can take the form of any weapon known to man to date and in doing so, provide not only a tool but an extra layer of protection for their wielder. Before the wielder was just an exceptionally member of reality, The process of manifesting a weapon leaves the wielder with a protective coating that absorbs or deflects most mundane weapons (But not all, a large enough explosion or anti-material rifles and so on can still pierce and kill weapon users).

The weapon itself is both a melee and ranged weapon, it is never spent or damaged although it may be dispelled if subjected to extreme enough conditions. If the weapon normally requires ammunition the soul provides it although the ammo does not linger after the weapon itself is dispelled. The shape of the weapon depends on the nature of the soul, some can change some stay the same forever. They are all equally good at damaging things.

Character Creation:

99.xx Percentile: How close to human perfection you are. Choose a number between 1-99, in direct tests of talent this number will determine who wins. For every .40 this is below 99.99 you gain an extra talent.

Soul Type: Cannibal, Twin, Ancestor or Bounder. Each have their own benefits in the form of unique talents that only they can do. Cannibals start with the Talent, Necromancy. Twins start with the Talent, Vivancy. Ancestors begin with the Talent, of the Ages. and Bounders begin with 3 extra talents but their Percentile is capped at 98 (they can still choose .xx but it only works on other bounders and they receive no extra talents for it).

Talents: Are broad areas of expertise that require training and talent to do. Someone without a talent simply cannot do it (or do it competitively with you)

Necromancy is the talent of moving , extracting and placing souls and controlling soulless creations. Necromancy can create make the dead move, move your soul to a protective vessel or even swap and change bodies.

Vivancy is the talent of overlaying souls together to create a better lifeforce. Vivancy can heal wounds, clear minds and otherwise bring people and living things to a healthier fuller life.

Of the Ages is the information and skills that the various soul of a ancestors have perfected. Often mundane, Talents of the Ages let people be master craftsmen, scribes, linguists and creators.

Other Talents can be anything that a degree might be dedicated to (medicine, engineering, mathematics, etc) or anything that require years of learning to master (Arts, Baking, Dance, etc) People can do these things without a talent but Talents will always be better at them, be more insightful and at ease at these things. You could also have 'special' uses of your soul that are unique to you, known as Soul Talents. Things like Clairvoyance, Addictive Infatuation, Wracking Pain, Protection against Soul Weapons are all good ideas for Soul Talents, but things like turning people into toads, flight, fireballs or Transforming into a giant monster are not.

Never Have I ever are three things that you character never have and will never do. Your just not interested, not inclined or you consider them taboo in some way. Never Have I evers can be converted to Talents with good role-playing.

I hope I can find some people interested in this. The idea has been rattling about my head for a bit so I thought I would share. Before anyone asks, its a realistic world which means just like this one. All manifestations of weirdness are manifestations of Soul Weapons. If you cannot express your concept in those terms its probably gonna be rejected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back