• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Abandoned: New Beginnings

Michael felt his body drop when the weight of the supplies were retrieved by Zaire, his legs felt broken... He wouldn't be able to move properly for days after this, he must have pushed his body far beyond it's limits on pure adrenaline to have even made it this far... "T-thanks... I-i just need a... Minute..." His breathing was intense and voice dry, reflecting who poor he currently felt health-wise... Unfortunately, their rest was short lived... As he heard the battle horns of what had to be the returning hunting part.. That's it, they were dead, they made it so far only to die at the front door-so to speak... The barbarians shouts alone promised pain, and the duo were in no condition to escape a dozen savages...

Zaire hefted the box onto his shoulder, and he set the bucket on top of his stick and held both steady while Michael regained his breath. Zaire looked around for where the battle horn was coming from, and instead, found one of the grinning shadows only inches from his face. At his surprised expression, the shadow backed up a bit and seemed to glower. Dumbfounded, Zaire decided to try something insane. He looked straight at the shadow and pointed to the hoard of rushing barbarians, just to watch it blaze off like a fleeting wind towards them. He took a deep breath. Sure, the shadows might stall them, but the chances of them getting any farther were extremely slim. As the barbarians shouts got louder and louder, his heart began to feel their complete and utter defeat. The little shadow would barely be an obstacle to the seemingly fearless brutes.

The shadow that had obeyed his command did manage to distract three barbarians, which was great. Only... nine more to go. Yep, they were dead, he could barely walk -let alone run. Arrows were already flying past the duos pitiful escape, and the brutes voices got louder and louder every second they moved. Outrunning them wasn't an option...Michael's legs faltered, and he felt himself stop, unable to run any longer. Accepting his fate, he turned to a charging barbarian, aware the axe he held would end Michael's life in just a moment...As a natural reaction, he raised his arm, as you would... It was what followed that confused him, a great slab of solid stone erupted from the ground before him preventing the blow... But it was what happened then, that truly confused him, two similar slabs appeared, each one near the barbarians, and then they moved! The seemingly normal hunks of rock had arms and legs, each separating from the body... Stone golems... Not wasting his new hope, Michael stood once more, and began running faster than he had all day, as he heard the sounds of crushing skulls and battle cries behind him, he did not look back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zaire's eyes widened as the golems rose from the ground, and Michael turned to run away. With his own newfound supply of adrenaline, Zaire turned and began to run with his friend, the stick falling onto the grass and rock with a thud. He held the box of the necessities close to his body, and held the water outward as it splattered and splashed. He didn't care, because if they caught them they wouldn't get any water at all. He heard bones breaking and flesh being torn apart ruthlessly, but kept his feet moving. He had to keep running! Using the last bits of strength, he chased after Michael. Stone golems! Zaire thought with admiration.

The pair ran for what seemed like forever, at least to him it seemed like forever... Though when running was no longer an option, Michael stopped, crouching on the ground, and then despite everything that had happened. He burst out laughing, and it was genuine laughter, the realization that they had food, water and weapons. That the barbarians were no longer chasing them to reclaim the needed items... It brought a whole new situation to the 'near death experience' saying. They were alive. And they had food and water! Michael eagerly turned to Zaire, his eyes speaking louder than words ever could, as he stared at the box and bucket.

Michael's laughter was contagious, and soon Zaire was cackling to, with the box of food and half-empty bucket of water. "That..." Zaire said, panting. "was something else!" His laughing seemed to not end, and even though each was painful, he couldn't stop. They were free, and they had what was necessary to live! Zaire grinned like a mischievous child as he opened up the box and took a loaf of bread, broke it in half, and handed the larger half of the piece over to Michael. Zaire eagerly bit into his own piece, enjoying the taste of the heavenly tasting bread. It's good to be alive, Zaire thought to himself. He gave a look to Michael similar to the one he had given him only moment before with an ecstatic sparkle in his eyes.

The two laughed, they laughed for a long while. Each spout may have caused pain in his ribs and stomach, but happiness was most certainly worth the pain. When Zaire opened the box Michael let out a sigh of complete joy, unable to believe the sight before him... He eagerly took the bread Zaire handed to him and chomped down on it like a ravenous animal, the taste was truly incredible... This bread was surely a gift from the Gods! His grateful stomach began to feel far better, and when he had finished with the bread he lifted the bucket, gulping at least a litre of water in the one go. Though it was all ok, they had far more luckily, and even more bread. After he had relieved his hunger and thirst, he simply slumped onto the beach. Breathing deeply, feeling absolutely amazing. Despite the broken bones and bruises. He looked up at Zaire once more, and simply gave him a nodding smile.

Zaire gulped down a good bit of water himself, and continued smiling through all the pain that everything caused. The more he smiled, it hurt just a bit less. He still couldn't believe it! They were free, and they had food! He took another bite of his side of the bread, soon finishing it and licking each and everyone of his fingers to savor the taste. He continued to grin even though his fingers tasted of blood and dirt, he had eaten.

Slumping down next to Michael, he began to speak. "We made 't..." He exclaimed. "We're alive!!" He erupted in another bout of laughter, still trying to take in all that had happened. Zaire nodded back to Michael, sharing the feeling of amazement as his body picked up the pace, supplying the necessary nutrition to his bones.

Despite the exhaustion of all the events the duo had endured it seemed sleep struggled to claim michael's mind, instead he simply stared at the sky for a long while. He wasn't even sure if sleeping out in the open like this was a good idea, but they were both to fatigued to move anymore. It was a chance they had to take, soon enouhj, Michael followed Zaire into a long sleep, which they both heavily needed. Though he did fear that the sleep would bring about far worse pain upon awakening, but he couldn't resist his bodies command...

((I got no notifications... x.x))

Upon awakening from his heavy sleep, Zaire glanced around. He had slept all through the remainder of the day and the night, seeing as to how the sky was purple as the sun began to raise. His mind ran around in circles from the dream he had remembered, all in it's oddities and pain. He looked around the area, a strange feeling covering his heart and mind. There was something... a bit off. What was it?

((Don't worry about it. That happens all the time to me.))

Michael had woken up around a half hour before Zaire, he had adapted to the elevated pain in his body at least somewhat, so he was able to turn and gaze at the man, yet he didn't look happy, refreshed, relaxed or in pain... He looked, confused? Cautious? Suspicious? Michael sat up, clutching his abdomen as the movement caused great pain to stir, he turned to the expression on Zaire's face, the look causing Michael's own expression to shift to a more worried one. "Are you ok?"

Zaire glanced around to the other man. "Yeah," He said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I feel a lot better than yesterday. Something's just feeling a bit off, and I don't know what it is." He stands, looking around the area. His stomach twisted and turned and revolted, but he was a bit nervous about the area. What was it? It had to be... something. But maybe, it was just his paranoia taking over. He sighed and sat. "I'm probably just being paranoid." He said, wondering what there was to do next.

Michael briefly scanned the surroundings, unsure of the supposed danger, to him, everything felt normal, and fine. So, what was it? Nevertheless, maybe it was simple paranoia, and their next course of action may be a little tiring, and boring, but necessary.

"Our next goal should be to find shelter, preferably good shelter, from they we need to rest for a few weeks, let our injuries heal, we have enough food and water to last a few days, when it runs out we'll hunt with the weapons..."

"Yeah." Zaire agreed. He looked around for any place or trail that looked as if it would lead to shelter. "Well, it looks like our best bet is to go back through the forest or walk around the perimeter of the island. Maybe we'll be able to find a sort of empty cave, and we could turn that into a temporary shelter until we manage to find anything better." Zaire took a few steps away, continuing to look. Nothing was really seeming to turn up that would be of much use. He sighed.

He considered the options that Zaire had brought up, the forest was more likely to hold shelter, and would make hunting easier, but it also had a higher threat of more dangerous wildlife and the barbarians from earlier, they wouldn't be able to escape them again if they were cornered in a cave. Especially without planning some form of escape, yet the perimeter would be less likely to hold a good shelter, and traveling further inland to hunt would be a necessity, for one Michael was at a complete loss of what to do.

"I don't know, both have pros and cons...Which would you prefer?" Michael asked, unable to decide on a better path his self.

"I agree." Zaire said with a sigh. "It's a bit of a difficult choice, and I don't know if I would prefer either."

Running into those barbarians again wouldn't particularly be good in either choice... Zaire thought. Some offered better plans of escape than others. Finally, a thought crossed his mind.

"What if we go to the other side of the island, away from the barbarian's camp? They seem like they keep getting people to torment, and they have to get them from somewhere, or originate from somewhere." He looked thoughtful. "Maybe there's a civilization there or something."

Michael frowned at the notion, the first peope they had met tried to brutally torture and murder them, no proof suggested their victims were friendly, for all the duo knew the barbarians were at war with another group who are just the same, civilization wasn't the right word, he had his doubts about there being any 'civilized' people on this island, however, he didn't have a better alternative, and they could make sure they hide from any groups of barbarians-or people.

"It seems risky, for all we know the barbarians prisoners are just as dangerous and cruel, only they come from a different tribe, but if we do this we need to be careful, always have one of us on watch for a few hours when sleeping, keep your eyes sharp for traps, other people. And if-and that's a big if-we do find another camp, we watch for a few days, to determine if they're friendly or not."

"Great idea." Zaire agreed. "We always need to be on our guard."

The fact that there was no better choice for them to take unsettled Zaire. Michael had a point- they might be as cruel as the other barbarians, or even worse. Anyone out here could have set a trap with bloodlust in their eyes. It was risky. Everything that they had done up to this point had been risky. But, as with shown with their dash for supplies, how would you get to anything good if you didn't put something on the line? The risk of finding civilization was as great a risk as anything else, but shelter was a top priority. Risks, risks, risks seemed to be everything at this point.

"So it's settled, we'll search for this supposed safe haven, and keep out guard up. If our suspicions are right, well I guess we'll live in a cave." Despite the statement being meant in a little humour, he couldn't shake off the notion that that's exactly what would happen should the supposed 'safe civilization' turned out to be... Well, not safe. Although same as before, he only had the one motive of hope driving him forward, as it had in the barbaric camp, as it had when he was retrieving the supplies and when the golems appeared... The golems... Did he do that? He had forgotten about that miracle, was he magic? Or was it truly a divine intervention...

"Yeah." Zaire nodded, beginning to walk along and towards where the forest began. He carried the box in one hand, and clutched the handle of pail of water. He sighed, his mind wandering around and attempting to make sense of everything that had happened thus far. The shadows? Michael's golems? It didn't make any sense. Why could they do these sorts of things? When the golems appeared, Zaire knew that he had felt a connection between them and Michael, similar to the one he would feel between him and the shadows. The feeling that reminded him that they were on his side. His mind ended up on the same page as his friend. A miracle? Magic, perhaps? Intervention from a Divine being?

Nothing's making any sense!

Michael began walking in the direction of civilization, obviously he had no idea where that direction was, he just assumed that it was in the other direction of the barbarian camp, that was as good a place as any to start after all. Nonetheless, the journey could be anywhere from a few hours to possibly months, they had no idea how big this island was, let alone if there even was any friendly individuals out there, in fact it all seemed rather daft now that he thought about it. The duo were basically staking their lives on naught more than a simple hunch, as if they hadn't made enough bad decisions thus far, yet for whatever reason. Michael kept walking instead of trying to call the suicidal plan off.

((I'm so sorry for being a lousy RP partner! I thought I had already replied xD ))

Zaire followed Michael, mind still swirling around and around and around again. Nothing made any sense. No sense. No sense, whatsoever! He had no idea what he was supposed to do in this case. His head ached from thinking too hard, and he couldn't help but start to get a bit paranoid as he walked. Why? He wondered. Why did things go like this? Why are we doing this again? What? Why? Where did I come from? Why are we like this? Am I going crazy? Is this just a hallucination? A dream? Am I going to wake up just to find everything back as whatever normal I knew?

Zaire's brain resembled mush at this point.

((Hey, no sweat, bro! Don't worry about it.))

Michael halted his walking as Zaire looked like he was going to faint, not good. "Hey, are you feeling ok?" He asked, hoping for a answer more along the lined of yes, but the look alone told him otherwise, what was he thinking so intently about? Or perhaps he was just ill and needed a rest, a rest. That could help the boy. "If you want we can stop for a quick break?" He turned to Zaire once more, slightly disturbed by the look within his eyes, it almost seemed as if 'Zaire' was gone, and some demon taken his place he looked almost... Lifeless. At this, Michael tensed a little, he trusted Zaire, but not enough to go near him when he looked as dangerous, or lost, as he currently looked.

"I-I'm fine!" Zaire claimed truthlessly. What? Who am I talking to again? Huh? Wait, what's going on? The dazed young man couldn't even stop walking with such little attachment to his body. In the end, Zaire ran face-first into a tree. "Ouch!" He yelped, rubbing his head and quickly snapping back to reality. His vision was the last to focus, him blinking a few times before he managed to get a good look at Michael once again. He wiped his eyes with his hand, forcing his eyes to come back to this dimension and not the far-off place they obviously had been looking. "S-Sorry..." He apologized as his tense-looking comrade stood nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back