• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Dice A Time of Monsters - OOC

Main
Here
Characters
Here
Lore
Here
Other
Here
Hullo! So there has been fighting and such broken out already from the description. Are there particular areas that occurred in? And is there a particular area our character should be gravitating towards, or is that going to be hand of the GM?

Most of the fighting has been around the borders between provinces, and in smaller towns near those borders - especially on the west side of the country. A lot of good farmland has been fucked up.
There has also been one instance of fighting in a larger town where a riot broke out in protest of soldiers being billeted in people's homes and turned to a massacre.

Your characters don't have to gravitate to anywhere specific. You are very much free and encouraged to define your own goals, and my guidance to interesting plot threads will take that into account. If I really think you need to be somewhere I'll have your patron bring it up.

I expect we'll be doing some timeskips as this storyline will develop over in-game years as new factions rise and fall.

Currently bashing my head against the next six patrons. Please enjoy this piece of music which I regard as the Monarch of All Hungers' theme song while I do.

Oh, I have been meaning to ask or articulate that I am very confused by the whole section on Advantages, Familiarity, Knowledge, and Training. Are Familiarity, Knowledge, and Training all Advantages? Or are Advantages separate from the other three?

Oh, I have been meaning to ask or articulate that I am very confused by the whole section on Advantages, Familiarity, Knowledge, and Training. Are Familiarity, Knowledge, and Training all Advantages? Or are Advantages separate from the other three?
Advantage is the blanket term for all three, so no one has to say FKT every time and there are also some other forms of Advantage that will probably not be used in this game.
Does that help or can I offer anything more specific?

Because I am a glutton for overextending myself please enjoy this idea for a more accessible game:

Do you love Baldur's Gate 3? Do you want moral complexity and weird powers bought at a high price to try and be a hero? Come to Crucible: Slayers!
We've got:
  • Guy who is way tormented about his addiction to eating vampire hearts
  • Gerald of Riviera
  • Problematic Church Daddy™️
  • The Struggler
  • Martial artist who will fistfight a primeval vampire without hesitation and die happy
  • Woman determined to eat any god that can't get away fast enough

That definitely helps, but just cause of the wording of the original one, I want to make sure I've got it down right. So we get 3 things in Familiarity, 3 things in Knowledge, AND 3 things in Training(unless we do the whole swap thing), which is 9 things all falling under the heading of Advantages? And what exactly do those do?

Advantage is the blanket term for all three, so no one has to say FKT every time and there are also some other forms of Advantage that will probably not be used in this game.
Does that help or can I offer anything more specific?

Because I am a glutton for overextending myself please enjoy this idea for a more accessible game:

Do you love Baldur's Gate 3? Do you want moral complexity and weird powers bought at a high price to try and be a hero? Come to Crucible: Slayers!
We've got:
  • Guy who is way tormented about his addiction to eating vampire hearts
  • Gerald of Riviera
  • Problematic Church Daddy™️
  • The Struggler
  • Martial artist who will fistfight a primeval vampire without hesitation and die happy
  • Woman determined to eat any god that can't get away fast enough

Do you have room for a low-key secret god actively trying to forfeit his divinity? ;)

Do you have room for a low-key secret god actively trying to forfeit his divinity? ;)

As written, no. On discussion? Probably.
But you actually want this game for that flavour:
In the furthest reaches of Hell, where the greatest prayer-wheels spin and howl, where towering shrines belch sweet smoke or flow with sunlike nectar, where the the great spires of the Ur-City are shrouded from sight, there is a monastery of little repute.

Here, where the blasted plains meet the icy seas and the shadows speak in riddles, the Demon monks have painstakingly devised an alphabet of sigils to represent the names of the Creator. They meditate inwardly through prayer and outwardly through practice of martial arts. They tend frightful gardens and maintain terrifying shrines. For uncounted ages they have transcribed name after name upon a limitless scroll made from the skin of a terrible beast, for their purpose is to record every name the Creator may have.

Now, their task is ended. The scroll is complete. All that remains is for one of the monks make the perilous journey across Hell's vast interior to the Temple Prime in Pandemonium, the Ur-City. They do not question the result of this act nor contemplate it, and once the pilgrim is chosen they will destroy themselves.

But Hell stretches beyond mortal comprehension; time and distance are malleable, easily bent to the whims of whatever great Demon rules any given patch of sea, sky, or land. It will be a long and arduous trek for a lone monk. Who will accompany them on their journey, and to what end?

As written, no. On discussion? Probably.

What is a name? A binding.

Letters are merely the symbols that give form to the mortal shackles. Unrequested and equally unwanted in their efforts to hold this living idea in a foreign realm.

Can one erase the stigma of life? Undo those letters and free themselves from a name painted onto them from inception? Hell stretches beyond mortal comprehension. Every moment is agony for it cannot compare to the peace that came before birthed into the world by those that knew no better. Silence, infinite and ever-lasting, being but a fond memory. Now all the world a symphony with each sound having a soul to lay claim.

This life, gifted though it may be, is forfeit--if only it could be taken. Hatred of the undying becoming fuel for the infernal ambition to bring an end to the unending. A hate shared by many.

A hate shared by her.

For, if death were on the horizon, perhaps a hand may finally reach out and give this named one a reason to exist.

A reason to step back from that ledge, my friend.

I'm onboard in theory, though maybe not for this game since it's a bit more explicitly about power, humanity, compassion, and by what kind of sacrifices a person will bind these things.
Also I can't tell if this is a concept you're interested in bringing to A Time of Monsters or one of my other out-of-context pitches because it would fit so neatly into a different game in my library.

I'm onboard in theory, though maybe not for this game since it's a bit more explicitly about power, humanity, compassion, and by what kind of sacrifices a person will bind these things.
Also I can't tell if this is a concept you're interested in bringing to A Time of Monsters or one of my other out-of-context pitches because it would fit so neatly into a different game in my library.

Ask Meredith. ;)

And I was spectating.
Sorry, this one's on me. Talking you up, you know?

It was the baldur's gate pitch (I imagine a response to the god-eating woman), I think, though honestly I'd join another game if you run it as well. I think this is what we call being solicited.
The world is your oyster, Grey. But never feel obligated to over-extend yourself.

New bastards. I'm not fully happy with them but perfect is the enemy of done.

Adora, Succubus-Prince, The Devoured, Hungry Eyes, Grand Seducer, The Coveted, Chained In Bliss.

Tuluth, Succubus-Prince, Bloodied Smile, Scargrin, Lashloved, Guiltlure, Tears of Diamond, Love To Hate.

Coio, Succubus-Prince, The Eye of Dusk, Indrawn Hand, Ceaseless Fingers, Remaker, High Roller.

Laboath, Incubus-Prince, The Firm Hand, Threats-Like-Promises, The Adamant Heart, Unwilling Slaver.

Elome, Incubus-Prince, Whipqueen, Needleteeth, Fleshwalker, Hollower, The Eyes In The Night, Violation Embodied.

Iorantus, Incubus-Prince, Great Eater, Scattered Brains, Here & Gone, Hundred-Handed, The Divine Surgeon.

I'm planning for the character I could roleplay, the high guard for Duke Wellenford and the duke's family, Sir Edgipinn, being a strong champion close to them. He should be a very fit man with expert ability with his weapons, and also be a shrewd planner, and he would have a faithful company he leads.

I was planning on doing some sort of farmer/hunter. Bit hick from the sticks as it were, so more the survival and random farm implements type, with some on the farm crafting as well.

Alright, I believe I finished my character. If anyone spots anything off about his build, or if my math doesn’t check out, please let me know.

Good stuff. I'll give the existing sheets a pass soon but nothing is jumping out at me.
Anyone who feels their character is reasonable complete will get an intro post soon so we can do the pacting scene.

Alright, tomorrow gonna have an intro post up for Bone2Pick - anyone else feel their character is in a good place to start?

Here's a random lore tidbit for you:

97 years ago the then-king of Kelen was assassinated, and an army marched on Le Royaume. They razed the towns of the Frontier and made it to the very walls of the city before a bloody battle wiped them out.
Official records say the army were exiles from a mysterious land beyond the Sunward Sea, come to conquer and build a new kingdom for their princeling leader.
It's said the army included not merely men, or things of man-like seeming, but strange beasts bent to war and warriors who were very clearly not human.
A band of mercenaries instrumental in deciding the battle discerned the leader's name to be Fimbul, which set those of pagan beliefs to claims of prophecy - that this army was of The Fair Folk, the capricious creatures of peasant folklore that dwelled in the Gatewood and in a mystical realm just behind the world of matter. That Fimbul was the half-mortal son of The Cloud-Shepherd, the old god of Winter, come to presage the ending of the world with a time of endless snow.
The conflict is known variously as The Westward March or Winter War, though the latter is met with suspicion. Certainly it is well remembered as an unusually cold Autumn, but to call it the Winter War suggests one gives undue credence to the mutterings of kenning-women and similar charlatans.

I'll try to get something together ASAP. I drifted out of space and out of time for a while, but am back now.

I'll try to get something together ASAP. I drifted out of space and out of time for a while, but am back now.

No huge rush, the game isn't going to have a breakneck pace and work has been kicking my ass this week so I've not been as on-top of things as usual.

I think I feel comfortable starting with my character. Was hoping to clean it up a bit--and I might--but rereading it, I'm still about the vibe.

I think I feel comfortable starting with my character. Was hoping to clean it up a bit--and I might--but rereading it, I'm still about the vibe.

Good, gooood. Just need to decide a patron.

Out of curiosity, folks, how are you interpreting the patrons based on the very, very limited info you have? What do the lists of titles and deed-names say to you? Do any speak to you especially?
I'd like to know how successfully, if at all, I've communicated what they're about through the names and titles or how they're interpreted. There is a design there and I'm sure someone can see it.

A link to the post with the patrons, if anyone's lost it.

Good, gooood. Just need to decide a patron.

You suggested to me the Scourges, and I think that resonates pretty well. I'm leaning toward Isioros or The Moon of the Deep-- but I'd be happy to play with any of the Scourge patrons if you find them more thematically appropriate!! Twilight Mirage may also be appropriate in this case?

I would also happily play with The Unspeakable, although that may be more bleak than this character comes across LOL

Basically, pick your favorite... but these are my opinions.

Out of curiosity, folks, how are you interpreting the patrons based on the very, very limited info you have? What do the lists of titles and deed-names say to you? Do any speak to you especially?
I'd like to know how successfully, if at all, I've communicated what they're about through the names and titles or how they're interpreted. There is a design there and I'm sure someone can see it.

I think the category vibes are clearer than the individual patron vibes (partly because there's more information): the illuminators are the most directly associated with altruistic action while also having a propensity for violence and over-compensation in movements (rebel becomes tyrant rebel, Adalgard is very 'justice at all costs') which seem to amount to maintaining order; the nightmare patrons deal more in death and esoterica and the general propagation of disorder.

The Avengers seem the most 'revolutionary', with different methodologies and domains: ranging from Y'shora who seems to be a patron of violence in the face of abuse to Surdat'urma the destroyer of kings (though adherents of either might argue these are similar). Karpallas is however a more general patron of violence, and Red Lotus is closer to Y'shora in that he deals with vengeance (but in a more religious sense I think).

The Scourges seem heavily intertwined with grief in all forms. Isioros of the wounded, the yawning void, and silence absolute -- The Moon in the Deep the saint of suicides and martyrs, including those of love and false hope. Luce is the Saint of Murder, but also seems to dwell in a sort of liminal space between life and death: patron of Shipwrecking, but not of the drowned. An instigation to tragedy, but not its result.

This is a quick summary/parse considering the feelings I've had, but I'm kinda busy (exam tomorrow!!) so it's only a quick one. Might give you some more thoughts later. ^-^

The titles which jumped out to me for Krumbach’s patron, Tower-Ever-Falling, were: Lord of the Dead City, Love’s Last Revenge, and Mask of Tragedia

It all sounds so very cold and bottomless and haunting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back