• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Royal Engagement [Closed]

Geoffrey felt deep sympathy, understanding his friend's pain far better than he realized. He let him give voice to his feelings just providing a listening ear and gentle, supportive gaze. It flattened his heart to see a small amount of his friend's usually cheerful demeanor.. "It isn't a burden to listen to a friend, Edward. Speak to me whenever you need. Even if just to rant so you aren't overwhelmed. It is art if my duties as friend to the advisor to give sound advice"

He turned back to face the ballroom. "I think you have already hit the bottles hard if you think the ladies are lining up for me, not you," he joked, his stern expression lessening for only a moment. Then it promptly fell back in place as he noted the Elfians present. "I don't think the boy is of any concern to be a threat to the kingdom, but there were a few knights of Elfian that I have been keeping an eye on." He frowned when he noticed the lone female knight talking away with the usually reclusive princess. "I can't tell with that one if she will be a problem. What is your advice? Should we intervene?" He felt especially protective of the deaf princess, and he was admittedly surprised that she had been speaking to the female knight for such length of time. It also worried him that perhaps Gwyn was being friendly to the princess for political leveraging further down the line.

barnes-jpeg.296879

"Oh, don't be so modest," Edward replied, chuckling at his friend. "Brave, kind, handsome and strong. You're a dream of many women," he assured him. Edward was fit and healthy, but was nowhere near as strong as Geoffrey and there were times when he really needed to be. He always had to spend too much time reading and talking to think about improving his physical strength anymore. "Trust me, Geoffrey, all you need to do is make eye-contact with a few women you find attractive and you'll soon find it's mutual." Edward would have been around the ballroom flirting with many of the women by now, but it seemed that finally accepting his strong feelings for Ana had made him uninterested in spending his time with any other woman.

Edward took on a more serious expression and listened attentively as Geoffrey gave his impressions of the Elfians present. "I agree on the boy. He'll clearly do anything for Frederick, which is good for us as we know exactly where we stand with the poor, naive boy." When the female knight was mentioned, Edward realised he's seen her with Rosie quite often in a short amount of time, yet he'd been so distracted with his own problems he hadn't even given it deep thought, just assuming she was being friendly. "Now you mention it, I have seen them together three times today. Young Rosie seems to have really taken a shine to her, which I was happy to see as she doesn't come out of her shell very often." He glanced over to Gwyn and briefly observed her with Rosie. "I spoke with the knight earlier and she did appear to be nice and decent. However, I say we just watch with caution, for now. I don't want to cause Rosie any upset without any facts to back up our suspicions. Perhaps the knight is as good as she seems, but we can't ignore that she's loyal to the Elfians."​

Last edited:
No, she will never look at me the same way that I look to her. But I hope that she at least returns your feelings; you are both too dear to me for me to want to see you be anything but happy. Besides, it was easier to focus and be willing to give his life for his kingdom if he didn't worry about who he would be leaving grieving back home. Geoffrey didn't give voice to these concerns, just shook his head doubtfully at his friend. Even when his heart mended and he was able to think of Ana only distantly fondly, he doubted he would settle down. But those were thoughts for another day, he concluded.

He hoped for Rosaline's sake that the knight was just being friendly; that kind of duplicity could shatter a heart. "I will observe from afar for now; I am terrible at the courtly talk so it would be useless for me to try to speak with her when she is alone." Geoffrey was the kind of man who knew and accepted his short comings. It was probably for the best for his family that Asher had lived to become lord of the holding rather than Geoffrey.

"With that settled, let us go get a few drinks, Edward." As he led the over man toward the table holding beverages and proceeded to pour one for himself and his friend, a mischievous spark appeared in his eyes. "I am sure that it will gladden your heart to know my sister Katherine is in attendance tonight." The youngest sister of Geoffrey's had been desperately infatuated with Edward, so much so that the family had worried about finding a suitable match for her. Just to tease Edward, he wasn't about to tell him that the eighteen year old had wed another minor lord.

Last edited:
Frederick took the food that Andrew passed to him that was tested. Taking some bites of the food, he tasted it and nodded. "Indeed my page, it is good food. At least this kingdom has good courtesy to its guests in food, as though to lessen the edge on those sharp tongues.". He chuckled and kept eating, noting the daggers one princess stared into him. She was clearly unhappy but powerless in this ordeal, which made him chuckle.
He also noticed Ana and Edward leaving for some time. He wondered what happened, but when they came back both a tad more dishevelled, he raised in his head a point of concern that there was something going on between them. He'll simply bear it mind for now for later. Edward disappeared again with a knight after chatter he couldn't hear to the balcony. His own future wife appeared and he smiled, saying "Why good day, a good walk you had? The food is excellent, you should join us.". He quietly returned to eating his food but keeping an eye to her and watching to see what they'd speak or do.

barnes-jpeg.296879

Edward allowed Geoffrey to lead him to the drinks table and accepted the drink that was poured for him. "Thank you, my friend," he said, taking a sip of the alcohol. He quickly glanced forward to see Ana had joined Frederick at the table a short distance away. Knowing he needed to steer his attention away from the two, he turned a little so they were no longer in his eye-line. As he moved the goblet to his mouth to drink more, his friend mentioned Katherine was present and Edward had to stop himself from spitting out the wine. Perhaps he was going to need something stronger, he momentarily thought. "Your sister is here?" he asked, his eyes wide open. Geoffrey would know there was no disrespect, only minor fear in Edward's mind. Katherine was a lovely girl and he'd always liked talking with her, but this was one case were his friendliness had given the wrong signals. When he'd learned how infatuated with him she was, he'd tried to let her down gently, but it didn't work. Edward been Edward had been too polite to spell it out to her. He knew he was a fool for it. "Where is she?" he asked, looking around the hall. Once he saw her across the room he looked back to Geoffrey. "Your sister looks as lovely as ever," he seriously noted. "Now, where do I hide?" he joked, displaying a mischievous smile.​

Last edited:
ed2c919c8f7e16a37cfc6917eb783d6d.jpg

It was now time for her to put on her most irresistible charm. Convincing other people that this marriage was something she wanted was going to be an easy one. Ever since she was young, people seemed to do and agree with almost everything she wanted. When asked about her walk, she momentarily froze. So, he had noticed that she left? How very observant of him, but now she would have to be careful. She decided she would no longer be sneaking out and would later convince her sister not to either, as long as he was present. She smiled at him and shrugged her shoulders. "Uneventful. The moon is beautiful tonight." Taking a sip of her wine, she gave him a smile. "I made the poor decision of eating a lot before dinner, I'm not hungry." It became apparent to Ana that people were, in fact, staring. The attention she was receiving was quite uncomfortable and so she would have to do something to make them quit. The idea of public affection seemed to make people uncomfortable, so when she kissed his cheek, people looked away. "But thank you for the offer."

Lucas Astor

When people ask what I see in you, I just smile and look away because I'm afraid if they knew they'd fall in love with you too.
Lucas Astor

bb49141082ff2a21fe651f2e36132f2b.jpg

Lucas blinked as if startled. And he most definitely was; a princess asking him out for a walk! Lucas felt as if something out of a dream was coming true. Lucas tried to keep his rather delighted and excited emotions under control, but despite his efforts, his blue eyes shone with pleasure. His lips curved into a handsome smile, and he gladly accepted it. He chuckled once more at Bramble's comment on curiosity. She was right; this was an opportunity he just couldn't pass up. A dim flash of remembrance ignited within Lucas's memory, reminding him of his friends who were probably enjoying themselves on wine and women, maybe wondering where he had gotten himself into. But Lucas did not plan on going back; this may be one of the only opportunities he'll ever get the pleasure of having;
the chance to get to know Bramble better.

"Of course," he answered, the eagerness hinting his voice slightly, gladly seeing the glint of mischief and spirit twinkling in her cyan-blue eyes. He let his arm loop around with Bramble's; his seize a tad too rough, considering he was no nobleman by any means. But Lucas was in love, and he felt that that, was enough. They both strolled out of one of the back entrances, stepping into the moon-washed gardens. The beauty was magnificent, and it seemed the clouds retired for the night; the heavens were cloudless, the sea of stars shining against an indigo backdrop.

The two kept going in a random direction, surrounded by small hedges of roses, walking on a path of smooth cobblestone. Lucas was never a good conversation-starter, nor was he very social, and for the longest time, Lucas thought it was a rather good thing. But tonight, he thought of it as a curse. He couldn't think of a single word to say, and the young man felt his cheeks tint red.
Then, the faraway melodic sounds of music reached his ears, reminding him of the ball. It was all for Prince Frederick and Princess Analise, to celebrate a much-needed engagement, a marriage was supposed to benefit all. After all, it would bring stability in both politics and the economy, peace among two war-torn nations and power back into King Leonard's hands. However, there was one thing that this marriage would not bring:

Love between husband and wife.

Lucas never appreciated arranged marriages, and he had always vowed to marry for love. If he was ever to marry, that is. Lucas glanced at Bramble, wondering if she appreciated this. He wondered what she thought about it, and before he could stop himself, he blurted out,
"What do you think about...about this marriage?"

Interactions: Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow

zuzanna_by_littleflair-d5xsimk.jpg
Bramble smiled shyly at Lucas's rather excited look, she looked away, her cheeks reddening as he chuckled in response. She liked his laugh, it was unpracticed, sincere. She hated the fact she was noticing it all, now was not the time to fall for someone. As she had looked away, she caught sight of Ana kiss Frederick on the cheek, Bramble blanched, scrunching up her face. Oh, she was gonna make Frederick flee from the palace by the time she was done with him. Her attention was brought back to Lucas as he grabbed rather rough, however, she didn't mind. It was a nice reminder that he wasn't a boring gentlemen that was trying to please her all the time. He was something different entirely. She looked away, realizing she'd been staring.

The cool night air hit her face, she welcomed it gladly, hoping it'd cool the heat rising to her face, she guided him around the gardens for the most part, considering it was so easy to get lost, her dance slippers felt like silk on the cobblestone, she glanced up at the moon and smiled shyly and demurely, trying to keep her racing pulse steady as she tried to think of something else other then being clasped on Lucas's arm.

She listened to the music drifting outside from the ballroom, knowing from the sound of the orchestra which song was playing, her mind drifted back to the ball, Emile was somewhere in the palace, doing god knows what. She shouldn't be out here, with Lucas. But for some reason her body didn't want to seem to unlatch herself from his arm.

Lucas's question took her off guard, though she didn't know why. She stopped at the sight of lilacs in the garden, reminding her of her Mother. Bramble smiled in response to Lucas's question, gently unlatching herself from his arm and kneeling at the lilac's, the moonlight hit her face, making her look almost ethereal with her pale, porcelain skin. "I think it's rum," Bramble paused, hesitating, "But I'm not surprised. We knew this was coming," she bit her lip and paused, her tone a touch somber. "The King was never the same when she died...when we were younger, we thought we had a bigger choice in our marriage then we thought," Bramble furrowed her brows, "Now, I don't think we do." She silently inhaled the smell of lilacs. The smell was overwhelming to her suddenly. Bramble stood, turning to face Lucas but looking up at the dark, starry sky instead, smiling, but without her usual spirit to it.

"Rosie," she said, "is so beautiful. She is the prettiest of all. Once she comes of age, she'll be snatched up by the first gentlemen who sees her. Like a golden nightingale. And she's so blasted sweet. She's far too sweet to object. She'll probably just go along with it."

Bramble glanced to the roses, red with thorns. Like her. She was all the bad parts of a rose, in Bramble's mind. "And me," Bramble said, and even her pushed smile faded. "Well...me. I've got too little dowry and too much mouth. And no gentlemen likes that. The King will be grateful to have anyone take me."
Bramble looked miserable, the only sound in the gardens was the soft music that flowed into the gardens, a few seconds of silence trickled by before she turned around to face Lucas, realizing she'd just spilled one of her deepest fears to someone she'd barely knew.

"What about you? What's your family like? Please tell me it's happier then mine," Bramble joked, trying to lighten the mood after she'd totally squashed it, she tilted her head, her eyes full of curiosity, wanting to know where he came from, what his family was like, and hopefully a better tale. Her deep blue eyes searched his own blue ones with a blazing intensity, her heart threatened to leap out of her throat at this rate.
madame moiselle madame moiselle

Frederick was now all the further intrigued with the mixed signals that were given from his future wife. Most importantly the fact she seemed to freeze a bit when he mentioned the walk, as though she was caught red handed in an act. However rather than saying something worthy of freezing for, she gave a nonchalant response. He chuckled internally, hopefully now she would at least be mindful of her actions. However he also noted her dishonesty when it came to him. Well, now was not the right time to correct that.
After she kissed his cheek which made many return to their meals, the prince smiled and took her hand and gave it a kiss, to which he then took his wine glass and raised it to the others and gave a toast to the table, saying "To my beautiful wife to be and prosperity for all!", then taking a sip.

"Oh, I told her earlier that you would save a dance for her." He calmly took a sip of his drink, expression neutral except the light in his eyes. The deadpan to be to his baritone voice generally made it difficult for people to tell when he was joking, especially since he didn't do it often. But for right now, his friend was hurting and needed a distraction. This was the best one he could come up with.

His gaze moved to where his sister was standing, the bubbly young girl taking animatedly with a few lords. At her side was a rather lean gentleman who appeared much closer to her age, the boy having not even grown a proper beard yet. He seemed to hang on to her every word, which most likely kept Katherine happy. If Geoffrey shied away from attention, his sister was in desperate need of it. She was unimportant in the grand scheme of things, so she had been more or less ignored by their family. So she tried to get the attention she needed elsewhere. Geoffrey and Katherine were two sides of the same coin, the polar extremes of what their parents neglect could do.

barnes-jpeg.296879

Whilst looking towards Katherine, Edward noticed the Prince kiss Ana's hand before making a toast. Although it affected him, he wouldn't show it and was thankfully distracted by Geoffrey's next words. "You..." he began, looking back to his friend. "You told her I'd dance with her?" he repeated, smirking as he shook his head. If that was the case, he knew that meant he would be sharing a dance with Katherine tonight. It wouldn't be for lack of trying not to, but he knew he could only say he didn't want to dance so much without hurting the outgoing girl's feelings. Edward took another sip of wine before an idea came to him and he displayed a devilish expression. "In that case, I will have to make sure you have someone to dance with too. Our charming Olivia loves to dance and I happen to know she has a soft spot for you. Shall I call her over?" he offered. The funny thing was, Edward was only half-joking, as he always thought they'd make a nice couple. Olivia was confident and empathetic enough to bring Geoffrey out of his shell enough to open up a little.

kinopoisk-ru-logan-lerman-1252535-jpg.290226

Andrew smiled as it finally seemed like Frederick and Ana were making progress with their interactions. It was sweet seeing their physical gestures towards each other. When the Prince raised a toast, Andrew raised his glass of water to the couple. Having done with tasting the food, for now, he decided to excuse himself from the table to give the royals some space. He remained in Frederick's sight in case he was needed to carry out more duties, but otherwise stood against the wall and watched the people dancing. He flashed a friendly but shy smile to the female Argonian servant who was standing nearby.​

And so his teasing had backfired, the knight choking a little on the wine he was drinking. Though he knew the basics for dancing, the strict young man had never actually danced with a lady besides his instructor. The thought of actually doing so generated more fear for him than staring down the length of a sword poised for his throat. Hell, he would even face a great axe wielding barbarian while wearing only his small clothes for protection instead of attempting to dance. He cleared his throat and shook his head, " N-nay, there is no need to trouble the young lady. She should be enjoying the night dancing with those actually talented at it." The knight had nothing personal against Olivia, he found her to be a charming and sharp-witted lady, but he did not feel like making a fool of himself on the dance floor. Just thinking about it made beads of sweat form on his brow. On the bright side, however, Geoffrey was no longer thinking of his heartbreak.

ed2c919c8f7e16a37cfc6917eb783d6d.jpg

If people truly thought she was okay with the arrangement, it would make it all the better. She was doing this for them, her people, to make sure no more wars were waged against them. With Edward making it apparent that he was never going to voice his feelings about her, it was time for her to move on. Granted it was a little too soon but what was the girl to do? Cry over him day and night until she got a headache and dry eyes? Never. She could remember her mother telling her that no man was worth the struggle or the tears, no matter what they meant to her. Her thoughts were interrupted by lips coming in contact with her hand and she looked up to see that it was Frederick.

He too was playing his role as a charming husband quite well. Making such a toast and behaving in such a way that made him look innocent. Those at the dinner table applauded and gave cheers as she downed the rest of her glass before asking for a refill. She was starting to feel a bit buzzed but of course knew how to hold it all in. She stood up as the music played and looked at Frederick with a smile on her face. "If you don't mind, I'd like to see if my future husband can dance." Her father would watch the scenes around him with a look of concern.

Did she really mean everything she was doing, or was she toughing it out because that's the kind of woman she was? Whichever it was, she was doing a good in. He felt a tickled in his throat and proceeded to cough into his arm. When he looked, more blood. He gave a low, irritated groan before standing up to address those at the dinner table. "I thank you all for coming and showing support to my dearest daughters engagement. Now, there are food and drink and a party to enjoy. Unfortunately, with old age I'm not able to enjoy it as much." Even when he was sick he still managed to charm everyone. "So, I bid you goodnight." He took his leave with his guard and made his way to his room, where his private doctor was waiting. "More bad news, I presume?" He said as he closed the door.

Edward couldn't help but smile at his friend. He was thankful Geoffrey had been around for him tonight, otherwise he imagined by now he'd be alone in his private quarters feeling sorry for himself. "It would be no trouble," Edward persisted. He reached for a bottle of wine and beginning refilling his own drink before offering the knight a top up. He was drinking the alcohol faster than normal, so made a note to only have a couple more before moving on to water. He wasn't in the habit of getting anywhere close to drunk, so didn't like to think he'd become too intoxicated to control his words in public. "I'm sure she would be happy enough just spending time with you and she'd take great pleasure in showing you how to dance. She's very strict though, I've seen her teaching some of the servant girls." He grinned and checked to see if his friend was growing impatient with the subject yet or if he would give in.​

blue-eyes-brown-hair-fashion-girl-Favim.com-3484806.jpg

Rosie giggled at Gwynyffer's remark on getting lost.
"Don't worry Gwynyffer, I'd never let you get lost." She said, her eyes locking with the knight's. Her eyes stayed there for a moment, studying the other's expression. She thought, or maybe it was hoped, she saw the same glimmer of attraction in Gwynyffer's eyes that she too felt in her heart but Rosie couldn't be sure. She cleared her throat and tore her eyes away, realizing she had been staring too long. As the conversation died, Rosie looked to Amelia for help and Amelia piped up, both signing and speaking
"The song that is playing is a traditional Argonian piece meant to be danced with friends. I'm sure the Princess could show it to you." Rosie turned a deep pink shade and shook her head.
"Oh no Amelia I couldn't." She tried to hide her embarrassment "I haven't danced properly in years..." Amelia smiled
"I'm sure it will be fine Your Highness." The servant girl gestured to the dance floor where there were some lesser nobles dancing to the lively song. Rosie looked to Gwynyffer, hoping the knight was save her.

redroseknight redroseknight

I should make her a nice basket. Maybe some fruits and flowers.Gwynyffer thought to herself as she gave a grateful nod to Amelia, making a mental note to do just that when she had the chance. She never would have had the opportunity to dance with the princess, if she permitted of course, without the maiden' s suggestion. "That is a marvelous idea, thank you. It would be my honor, your highness."

Gwynyffer turned her gaze to Rosie as she held out her hand, the knight dipping into a graceful bow as she did so. It would have been in her best interest to keep physical contact to a minimum, but Gwyn was like a moth drawn to a flame. Her heart beat rapidly in her chest as she tried to gauge what was going on behind Rosie's beautiful blue eyes. Was she feeling the same magnetic pull, or was Gwyn seeing what she wanted so desperately to see?

Geoffrey gladly accepted the refill of his glass of wine, hoping it would cool his sweating palms. "I-I am sure that she would be a most splendid instructor, I would just rather not curse her with the most ineffectual student." The usually collected, serious, knight was genuinely unnerved by the idea. Yet he saw that his friend was smiling despite his pain, and internally sighed. If it made Edward's burden any lighter, gave him even a brief respite from his heartbreak..."You seem exceedingly keen on this; I think you would find my stumbling, oafishness entertaining," he accused with no malice to his voice.

There was no escaping it now, Rosie had to dance with the knight. She took a deep breath as her stomach tied itself into knots and her heart practically leapt out of her chest. She placed her hand in Gwynyffer's and allowed herself to be led to the dancefloor. The dance was simple and easy enough; Rosie remembered it from her childhood and she was sure Gwynyffer would have no trouble picking it up. Amelia spoke out the moves for Gwynyffer but still signed so that Rosie knew what she was talking about. Rosie's heart was still beating wildly as they danced, but it had been years since she'd danced and she'd forgotten how much she enjoyed it. If only she could still hear the music she was dancing to. That was the one thing Rosie missed about being able to hear. She missed the music.

photo.jpg

Gwyn found the steps to indeed be simple, finding them rather close to the steps of a dance from her own lands. It also helped for Amelia to be calling the steps out loud to her. The look of concentration dissolved, her furrowed brow smoothing as she was able to now turn her attention to how it felt to gently guide the princess through the steps.

Her heart beat wildly in her chest, and she tried to ignore the way her hand fit the curve of her hip perfectly. How sparks were shooting down her arm from all points where her skin touched Rosie's. Even though she couldn't hear the music, she was so graceful. So poised with that smile that made her heart melt into a pool in her chest and her tongue to tie in knots. It was rather unfortunate for Gwyn that she had such fair skin; her cheeks easily showed the dusting of pink that appeared as her thoughts swirled around the princess she was so enamored with "As light on your feet as a dream."

Last edited:
zuzanna_by_littleflair-d5xsimk.jpg
Bramble smiled shyly at Lucas's rather excited look, she looked away, her cheeks reddening as he chuckled in response. She liked his laugh, it was unpracticed, sincere. She hated the fact she was noticing it all, now was not the time to fall for someone. As she had looked away, she caught sight of Ana kiss Frederick on the cheek, Bramble blanched, scrunching up her face. Oh, she was gonna make Frederick flee from the palace by the time she was done with him. Her attention was brought back to Lucas as he grabbed rather rough, however, she didn't mind. It was a nice reminder that he wasn't a boring gentlemen that was trying to please her all the time. He was something different entirely. She looked away, realizing she'd been staring.

The cool night air hit her face, she welcomed it gladly, hoping it'd cool the heat rising to her face, she guided him around the gardens for the most part, considering it was so easy to get lost, her dance slippers felt like silk on the cobblestone, she glanced up at the moon and smiled shyly and demurely, trying to keep her racing pulse steady as she tried to think of something else other then being clasped on Lucas's arm.

She listened to the music drifting outside from the ballroom, knowing from the sound of the orchestra which song was playing, her mind drifted back to the ball, Emile was somewhere in the palace, doing god knows what. She shouldn't be out here, with Lucas. But for some reason her body didn't want to seem to unlatch herself from his arm.

Lucas's question took her off guard, though she didn't know why. She stopped at the sight of lilacs in the garden, reminding her of her Mother. Bramble smiled in response to Lucas's question, gently unlatching herself from his arm and kneeling at the lilac's, the moonlight hit her face, making her look almost ethereal with her pale, porcelain skin. "I think it's rum," Bramble paused, hesitating, "But I'm not surprised. We knew this was coming," she bit her lip and paused, her tone a touch somber. "The King was never the same when she died...when we were younger, we thought we had a bigger choice in our marriage then we thought," Bramble furrowed her brows, "Now, I don't think we do." She silently inhaled the smell of lilacs. The smell was overwhelming to her suddenly. Bramble stood, turning to face Lucas but looking up at the dark, starry sky instead, smiling, but without her usual spirit to it.

"Rosie," she said, "is so beautiful. She is the prettiest of all. Once she comes of age, she'll be snatched up by the first gentlemen who sees her. Like a golden nightingale. And she's so blasted sweet. She's far too sweet to object. She'll probably just go along with it."

Bramble glanced to the roses, red with thorns. Like her. She was all the bad parts of a rose, in Bramble's mind. "And me," Bramble said, and even her pushed smile faded. "Well...me. I've got too little dowry and too much mouth. And no gentlemen likes that. The King will be grateful to have anyone take me."
Bramble looked miserable, the only sound in the gardens was the soft music that flowed into the gardens, a few seconds of silence trickled by before she turned around to face Lucas, realizing she'd just spilled one of her deepest fears to someone she'd barely knew.

"What about you? What's your family like? Please tell me it's happier then mine," Bramble joked, trying to lighten the mood after she'd totally squashed it, she tilted her head, her eyes full of curiosity, wanting to know where he came from, what his family was like, and hopefully a better tale. Her deep blue eyes searched his own blue ones with a blazing intensity, her heart threatened to leap out of her throat at this rate.
madame moiselle madame moiselle

Lucas Astor

The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
Unknown

bb49141082ff2a21fe651f2e36132f2b.jpg

Lucas listened to Bramble's solemn and heart-wrenching story, realizing that even the rich had woes of their own. They were a different kind of sorrows, but sorrows all the same. It dismayed him to see Bramble so out of spirit, yet it also made him feel humbled at the thought of the Princess sharing her secrets to him like that. He smiled slightly, agreeing that Rosie was definitely very beautiful, and not only on the outside. Her innocent nature was her pride and joy, yet it could also be her downfall. Lucas knew other men could take advantage of her innocence and spoil her as if she were just some plain old food. But in court, it was a different story; Rosie was at risk of entering a loveless marriage, bound to a man who would only marry her for her looks or for selfish, cold reasons, just as it was for Princess Analise. Lucas was not raised that way and nor would he ever dare to treat a woman such a way. The young guard was glad for his father's strict discipline, even if it was often unpleasant.

Lucas watched as Bramble's smile faded at the mention of herself, and for a few moments, Lucas saw not a woman full of life and daring, but a little girl yearning the lost love of a deceased mother, convinced her future was anything but bright. Even love wasn't a possibility---men of the court wanted submissive wives, obedient wives, timid wives. But Bramble wasn't like that. What she had inside was something one could rarely find among the nobles of the court. She was bold and brave, passionate in her opinions and blessed with a mind as sharp as a tack. She was refreshing, she was the very thing Lucas had ever wanted in life:
Adventure.
Lucas couldn't believe how similar they were. He too, thought that a future full of promise and open doors was impossible for him, not when he couldn't read or write. He didn't want to be like his father; illiterate and forced to take exerting jobs with long hours just because of his strength. Sure, he was strong and fit, but a future of an illiterate was always bleak. Especially when the illiterate's father wouldn't let his son go out into the real world for so long. Lucas's hopes for true love weren't very high either; the girls in his village were dreary and dull, lacking the passion and spirit Bramble had within. Just standing in her presence was intoxicating for him; if he ever had the chance, he would gaze at her forever, savoring every imperfect detail, satisfying his visual appeal.
Of course, that would seem improper. So he kept his emotions and desires in check, knowing love was something worth the wait.

Lucas was almost surprised that the Princess wanted to know about his family and his upbringing, smiling at her question, noticing the curious glint in her beautiful blue eyes. He sighed and laughed softly, shaking his head as he let himself join her by the lilac patches.
"I'm sorry to disappoint," he answered, taking a seat next to her, his expression smiling, but his eyes showed a glint of sorrow. "But no. My family is riddled with problems, way too many to count. First of all, my family is a rather large one. There's my mother, Lilith Astor, my father Judas Astor, my uncle Andrew and my five other siblings. Isabelle comes first, then the twins, Wilson and Wilbur, then Lilianna, who is about Josie's age, and last but not least, Baby Ruthie." He smiled ruefully, a far away look in his eyes. "Papa's probably still pounding away at metal," he continued softly. "And Mother, tucking the others to sleep. My uncle--" he gave out an amused snort, "Probably in the tavern late at night, drunk to the point of no return, calling out to the whores on the street. He's a disgrace, but he's also the reason why I'm here." Lucas glanced at Bramble, a smirk on his face. "My father was strict. I was always running around doing errands, hacking away in the fields or chopping wood; anything really just to get some sort of income. I was always lectured, always working, and some days I wondered if that's all life was. Work." Lucas looked away, trying to hide the heat starting to appear in his cheeks. He had skipped the part of his father or mother never really teaching him how to read or write on purpose. He didn't want to share it now; it would only get in the way of the connection the two lovers were building.
"But," Lucas continued, pausing. "I still had a childhood. Back then, me and my friends would pull pranks and cause mischief wherever we went. We went on pretend adventures in the woods, pulled pranks on the girls, practiced swordfight, you name it. So full of life, vigor, adventure. But then," Lucas's expression saddened visibly and he looked down. "That ended. As our family grew larger, so did my responsibilities. There wasn't enough money and food was scarce. I became the main breadwinner since my father was growing old and tired from his job, and little by little, that child-like side of me, that spirited side, suddenly went quiet. As I grew older, I realized that my future was bleak, and it was getting bleaker, all because I'm---"
Lucas stopped instantly, realizing he was about to rattle off that he was illiterate. Lucas blinked, glancing at Bramble. He had never shared this foreboding fact with anyone ever since he had come here, yet he had the urge to tell her. It was surprising, and Lucas wasn't sure. But deep in his heart, he knew he could trust Bramble, despite the fact that their friendship had only just begun.
"Because I'm..." Lucas trailed off, gazing at Bramble, bewitched by her beauty. He let the word drop like a stone in water.
"Illiterate."

Interactions: Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow

barnes-jpeg.296879

"Oh, my friend. I would find it all extremely entertaining," Edward joked, as he chuckled. He looked over to Olivia and managed to catch her eye, so quickly waved her over. "You're in for it now."

"Good evening, gentlemen," Olivia brightly greeted the two as she joined them. "I see Lord Grumpy has cheered up. Now what can I do you both for?"

"Geoffrey was hoping you'd teach him to dance," Edward blurted out. But he decided he would spare his friend, for tonight. "Not now, mind you. Maybe another day when there's less of an audience," he quickly added, looking to the knight.

Edward was distracted by the sound of the King's voice excusing himself from the ball and he turned to face him. He could see he had been right to worry about Leo's well-being. The King was not alright. Then, he noticed Ana getting up to start dancing with Frederick. He hoped she was putting on the best of act, because the Prince was a dangerous man. Edward locked eyes with Ana and sent her a pleading gaze. He only wished she'd given him more time to explain himself before she rushed off. He only hoped for a second chance.

"I, um... " He began, looking back to his two friends with less cheer in his eyes. He finished what was left of his wine. "I can't stay here any longer. I'm tired, " he fibbed, doing his best job of hiding his emotions, despite knowing Geoffrey could see through it. "Goodnight, Geoffrey, Olivia..." He said as he rushed off out of the ballroom in the direction of his private quarters.

"Oh no. Lord Grumpy is still around," Olivia muttered.​

The song continued and as it did, Rosie found herself relaxing and just enjoying dancing. She smiled brightly as she looked up at the taller woman and they danced together. After a few minutes, Amelia let Rosie know the song was over and Rosie reluctantly took herself away from the knight. She gave Gwynyffer a polite bow since the dance was over and signed to her.
"Thank you for dancing with me Gwynyffer. I had forgotten how much I loved to dance." Amelia returned to Rosie's side and continued to sign for the Princess and the knight. But both Amelia and Rosie were well aware of how much time Rosie had been spending with Gwynyffer. Both of them prayed that there wouldn't be too much talk in the morning.

f87f296cb784ccb80f2dc1754d376ef8.jpg

Geoffrey had felt a great wave of fear wash over him when Edward called Olivia over, the knight scowling a bit at the statement that he was wanting to learn how to dance. His scowl lessened when at least the request was put off for another day; perhaps she would forget about it after the ball.

Then the mood shifted as soon as the king announced his leaving. Geoffrey noted the look Edward gave Ana, recognized that desperation all too clear. Then Edward was gone, rushing off to his chambers to no doubt grieve for his feelings alone. Remembering that Olivia was there, the knight nodded as he ran a hand through his very shortly sheared hair. "I fear that this engagement has been very taxing to all; it is not easy to forgive the trespasses of Elfian in the past." He couldn't tell the maid the real reason Edward was so upset, so this sounded like a decent enough excuse

His gaze moved to Ana, and he felt that painful stirring in his chest as she seemed to prepare to lead the Prince to the dance floor. The pain and longing were stuffed down as best as he could, the knight reminding himself that his task was going to be trying to talk to Ana alone later. Maybe he could help mend the situation for his friend.

photo.jpg

Gwynyffer bowed to the princess at the end of the dance, a bright smile on her lips. "Thank You kindly for gracing me with such a dance, your highness. Perhaps I can teach you some from Elfian at a later date if you would like." Totally also not an extra excuse to hold the dark haired princess in her arms again. She felt cold now that they had parted, and she forcibly reminded herself that this could very well be a one-time event.

Her gaze shifted to the king as he left, her eyes narrowing a bit. There seemed to be something off; his complexion seemed more sallow than she had thought it was before. Her alert gaze then darted to her prince, wondering if he was aware of this. More than likely, she thought to herself, Prince Frederick makes sure to keep up on all of the latest information.

Her gaze then moved back to Rosie, her expression immediately softening. Rosie was too kind and sweet; she didn't deserve the kind of gossip Gwyn's place by her side was likely to cause by now. Gwynyffer bowed once more to the princess, flame colored curls falling to partially obscure her eyes. "You have been most gracious, your highness, to spend so much of the night with me. But I am sure that there are others you would wish to share a moment and dance with." There, now the princess wouldn't have to feel obligated to continue talking to the knight. She had provided a nice route of escape.

Last edited:
Capture.PNG

Olivia showed a sympathetic expression as Geoffrey explained things to her. "Yes, we've all lost friends and soldiers to the Elfian's, and I know it wasn't long ago since Edward's uncle was killed." She paused as she thought about her friend's behaviour just now. "I've seen Lord Gladstone grieve for his father and the Queen, but I've never seen him angry like this... I suppose seeing the Prince of Elfian and finding out this kingdom is to be joined with the Elfians was bound to bring it out." The maid didn't care to learn enough of politics and had not yet lost any members of her small family, so she figured there was no way she could know how Edward and Geoffrey were feeling. For that reason, it didn't enter her mind that there were other factors, such as being in love with Ana. "And how are you, our brave knight?" she asked, briefly placing a friendly hand on his arm. "You're always there for your friend, but you never let anyone hear your troubles. You've lost people too - are you okay?" she asked.

barnes-jpeg.296879

Edward sat at his desk as he pulled open one of the drawers and retrieved a pile of letters which had been tied together with string. He needed to find the address of an old friend from his years at sea so he could write to him in hopes of accompanying him on his next mission. Before he could find what he was looking for, he came across the letter he'd received nine years ago notifying him that his father, James, had taken ill. By the time the letter reached Edward and he'd journeyed back to the castle, his father was on his deathbed. Although he'd managed to stay with his father in his final hours, he'd always wished he'd returned to him sooner and said goodbye properly. As he folded the old letter back up, he remembered one of the last things the dying man had said:

"I've spoken to King Leonard and we agree that you will replace me as his advisor. You've spent much of your life serving this kingdom at sea and now it's time you served by the King's side. I always intended for you to take my place, which is why I kept you by my side rather than at home with your mother." James squeezed his son's hand before his next words. "No matter what happens, you must always put Argonia and its people first. Before your own needs and aspirations. I love your mother, but the many hearts of Argonia always came before hers and mine."

Edward loved his father, but as he recalled those words, he could no longer agree. His heart and Ana's heart were no less important than anyone else's, not even the entire kingdom's. No, he didn't not abide by those words of his father's. His and Ana's hearts were not exclusive of the kingdom's. At the same time, James had been right about Argonia and Edward felt disgusted with himself for even contemplating running away as Argonia was to be brought to its knees. If the kingdom was due to fall, he knew he had to stay and suffer with it, even die with it if he had to. He couldn't abandon his friends, the King and the Princesses. "The King..." Edward recognised illness and knew the King was not himself.

Edward tossed the letters back into the drawer before rushing out of the room and heading towards Leo's sleeping quarters. As he neared the door, he looked to one of the men guarding the outside of the room. "Please could you tell King Leonard I need to see him. It's urgent," he said, his voice and face deadly serious.​

Ana caught Edwards pleading gaze and felt her heart jump. She wanted to speak with him again but her pride wouldn't let her. She had a duty now and it was Frederick. Wasting her time trying to confirm the feelings of another was longer permitted in her current situation. Her attenation was turned back to her future husband, promising herself to no longer think of her feelings. She also watched her father depart before she got the chance to speak with him. He looked sickly lately and left so soon. She would have to see him later that night.

Leo coughed again into a hankerchief, once again resulting in blood. He was sitting in a chair, talking to his doctor, Joseph. He was informed that his sickness was advancing and he had a estimated time of 4 months left. "You have to tell the girls." He told him, a concerned look on his face. "Their mother fell I'll so abruptly, they didn't have time to feel. But you, they have time. You need to spend as much time as you can with them before--" Leo raised his hand to silence him. Joseph gave a deep sigh, pacing about the room. "I'll tell them... Soon. Please sit down, you're making me nervous." The king gave a small smile and Joseph reluctantly took a seat. "I was negligent when my wife died, I realize. Making it up to the girls won't be an easy task, I know. I want them to rest easy for a while, not wor--" His words were cut short, hearing a knock at the door. Edward was present and he gave him permission to enter, as well as dimiss Joseph. "We'll tall later. Edward, how can I help you tonight? Come. Take a seat."

As the guard let him pass, Edward took a moment to make sure his eyes were dry and his clothing was tidy. As he entered the room, he watched the doctor, Joseph, leave. This pretty much confirmed he had something to be concerned about, thought how concerned he needed to be remained to be confirmed. Once the doctor had left, Edward took a seat opposite the King and observed the man before speaking. "Your Majesty, I don't believe that's how it works. I'm here to help you, not ask my king for his assistance." Edward said, faintly smiling as he tried to lighten the mood a little. Besides, Leo did not need to know about the anger and heartbreak that he was mulling over. "However, there is something you can do for me," he said, looking Leo in the eyes. "Please tell me what is wrong with you. I can see you're unwell, and I suspect others may have noticed too. Since my father died, you've helped me more than anyone would expect of their king and I want to do everything I can for you." He sat forward. "I beg of you, Sire. Tell me everything - why was the doctor here?" he asked.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back