• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Royal Engagement [Closed]

Frederick entered the feast earlier and decided for now not to take the spotlight, letting the family here make their dues, as they rightfully did. He had to commend his future wife on their speech, it was well crafted for what it was intended for. Smiling, he decided not to draw too much attention to himself in this party. Because for now, he wanted to observe the politicians present. See who he would have on his side. There was more than likely going to be a few Argonian officials that would jump ship in allegiance to the larger force, more concerned about their own self interest than in Argonia.
He had noticed Gwyn already keeping themselves busy with more knights. Well, that was for her to deal with. If she wanted to go further with that, it was her choice to make. A tourney would maybe be amusing, let them know the power of his elite force. Plus, Gwyn seemed to get once again friendly with that princess. This could only work in his favour. Chuckling, he lightly sipped on some wine.
Andrew sat next to him and as was officially done in society, the taster would be next to them, giving the probing tastes for food, waiting a bit for many noticeable effects to the health, and if none were observed, and the food was clearly of a good enough quality fit for Frederick, then he would eat the plate of food. Frederick gave an order to a different servant a bit earlier to give each official a warm welcoming letter before the feast, so he could see once the food procession had finished who would approach him for more, to capitalise on aforementioned opportunities. So many fresh fruit ripe for picking.

ed2c919c8f7e16a37cfc6917eb783d6d.jpg

Ana took Emile's comment as a challenge and grabbed a wine glass of her own off a tray. She nodded her head lightly and took a sip. He was playing a dangerous game and so was she. Emile Hassard, she realized, was a man that was not going to be easy to rid of. But she would try and find a way to do so sooner rather than later. "The activities of my sister's and I are none of your concern. In fact, it's quite strange that you've taken such an interest to her activities. Perhaps we should make it equal and look into yours?" She didn't like that he knew so much about what she did in her spare time and she sure didn't like the fact that he was trying to use it against them. "Let's cut to the chase. I'm getting tired of playing games. Stay away from Bambi, in fact stay away from all of my sisters and keep your mouth shut. I have a lot more power than you think I do, Hassard." She didn't mean to snap so quickly, but in a low voice she did. All the faking, trying to act nice was getting to her and she needed a moment to herself. Away from prying eyes and whispering voices. Giving smiles to those who wanted to congratulate her, she finally made her way outside to the balcony.

It was warm nights like this that helped ease her mind when she was thinking about a million things at once. How was she going to get out of this ridiculous marriage arrangement? How was she going to get rid of Hassard? And how, oh how was she going to survive being queen? It sucked being the eldest daughter. She wished she could trade places with Rosie and just let her be queen. The young one would possibly be better at it than she ever would be would. She gave out a deep sigh before leaning over the railing. "Why'd I have to be born first?"

Meanwhile, Leo nodded his head at Edwards statement, the smile never leaving his face. "Well, of course I do. I appreciate each and every one of you." He watched everyone in the room and noticed his daughter speaking with Emile. He would have to ask what it was about at a later time but for now, he would sit. Then he saw her go out alone and a concerned look crossed his face. Leaning over to Edward he whispered so only the two could hear. "Will you check on her? This all must be over-whelming and she needs her bestfriend."

blue-eyes-brown-hair-fashion-girl-Favim.com-3484806.jpg

rBVaGFWGtGGAI_RHAAPPKBfLCG0702.jpg

bd82395197398f296ed421a3b736e05e.jpg
Rosie studied her hand carefully and smiled a bit.
"How very clever of you." She said with a giggle. Gwynyffer brought up the idea of seeing Rosie's art and Rosie wanted nothing more than to drag her away right then and there to the studio. She wanted to show Gwynyffer everything she had ever created and then some. (hint hint) But Rosie knew better. The both of them had to stay at the ball, not only to keep up appearances, but Rosie needed to control her roaming thoughts. "I'd love to show you the studio sometime. To be completely honest with you, I'm there more than I'm in my own chambers." She laughed a bit as she signed and Amelia did too.

redroseknight redroseknight

Geoffrey frowned as he did his last sweep of the entrances to the ball room. There had to be something else he was forgetting to check, some place that there could possibly be some upstarts looking for trouble. The knight couldn't find any, however, and his presence was required in the ball room. After adjusting his cape and straightening his doublet, he entered the packed ballroom. The amount of people was staggering, a,d it was vaguely overwhelming for the tall young man.

"Geoffrey! Is that you? Good lord you have grown since your knighting!" A man perhaps 10 years Geoffrey's senior approach him, his features similar enough to give away his relation to the quiet knight.

"It is good to see you well, Asher," he responded, his gaze darting from the noble to always be looking for anyone else who appeared disgruntled by the arrangement for Ana to wed Frederick. Whether he liked it or not, he had to protect Frederick if someone from Argonia attempted to slay him. It would start a war they would never win, not with their meager numbers and limited supplies. While he would lay down his life if it was required of him, he didn't wish to see his homeland completely annihilated.

"Is that the best you can muster, Geoff? I have not seen you in 6 years." The older man sounded slightly wounded though whether it was genuine or not remained to be seen.

"And I apologize if it seems like a slight to you, brother, but I do have a duty to perform. Duty above all else," he quoted the family motto with an aloof expression. Lord Asher of Covington puffed up a but.

"Then continue to put duty first, Geoff, and let the world slip by. Katherine is here, by the way, as is her husband. Seems everyone in the family has settled down except you," he reminded Geoffrey, Katherine having been the youngest of Geoffrey's family. The knight bowed his head then walked away, the muscles tensing throughout his jaw. Duty and honor were his dirt priorities; his heart would just have to wait.

Attachments

• e42703ed6f2b283d69ab48bfd748547f.jpg
    e42703ed6f2b283d69ab48bfd748547f.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 5
Her laughter was so light and infectious that Gwyn couldn't help but laugh as well, a genuine spark of enjoyment in her green eyes. "I am sure that rumors abound that I never actually sleep in my own quarters, but rather sleep in the stables. It probably doesn't help that there was that one time I really did just go sleep with the horses because my senior knight snored to high heavens. " She hadn't enjoyed just simple conversation like this in so long, and it made her heart yearn even more for what she knew was completely impossible.

"I shall be stationed here for a few months, so we will have plenty of time for me to peruse your art. Do you like to ride horses, your highness?" The thought of having to leave behind Rosie in a few months cut rather deeply. There was always the small chance that she could be left at the castle to maintain an Elfian presence there following the wedding, but it was slim. Especially if the prince chose another kingdom to attack and needed her to rampage on the field of combat. Regardless they could make the most of the time they had together.

4bae4d5e107c68cff21eef19f97f61e1-jpg.293592

Edward had seen Ana walk off alone and he was in the process of talking himself out of following her. But then the King whispered something to him and he leaned in closer to listen. He was right, she did need her friend, even if she just wanted to let everything out by yelling at him and giving him another slap. "Of course," he quietly said, nodding. He then quietly excused himself from the table and walked in the direction he'd seen Ana go in.

Edward found her on the balcony with her back to him. "Ana?" he softly called out, warning her of his presence. "Talk to me," he said, slowly walking towards her. "Hit me again. Shout at me. You can do whatever you want, but please don't suffer this alone." His face was clearly troubled and he didn't have his usual flirty spark in him. As far as he was concerned, his problems didn't matter right now. He wanted to help Ana.​

Upon hearing Edwards voice, she was both relieved and annoyed. That part of her that want nothing to do with him and being suffocated by the part that only wanted to see him. It was then that she realized that during any crisis, be it her mother's death or this marriage, he was always there for her. Her back stayed facing him as she nodded her head next to her. "Come stand by me?" She wanted to let everything out in that very moment but decided not to. It would do her no good to walk back inside with red eyes and ruined makeup. "When I was younger, my mom always told me that making sacrifices was apart of the territory of being a princess. She never mentioned the biggest sacrifice would be my heart." Her voice was sad, like she was hiding even more pain than she was letting on. She was, but of course she wasn't going to let it be known. That's a thing for when she cries herself to sleep tonight. Without a word, she started walking towards the stairway that led down to the maze garden. She took her shoes off and the bottom and held them in her hand before taking a deep breath. With a devious smile, she looked over her shoulder to Edward. "Come find me before they realize I'm missing." With that she skipped into the maze and then started running towards her secret place.

blue-eyes-brown-hair-fashion-girl-Favim.com-3484806.jpg

rBVaGFWGtGGAI_RHAAPPKBfLCG0702.jpg

bd82395197398f296ed421a3b736e05e.jpg
The thought of Gwynyffer leaving in just a few months made Rosie's heart ache. She had only just met the knight but she couldn't imagine her world without her. She hid her moment of sadness with a smile.
"I do like horses. When I was young we would go on rides through the woods. But when I fell ill and lost my hearing my father and mother were afraid of what might happen if I was out and about and couldn't hear an attacker." The memory of her mother riding through the woods flashed in Rosie's mind and another moment of sadness hit her, this one a little less easy to hide as her smile turned sad. "I still visit the stables to say hello to my horse." Rosie shook of her sadness long enough to say "I'd love to join you in a ride, if you'd allow me."

Sympathy washed through the knight as she heard Amelia explain the past, her heart twisting at the sight of her sad smile So she wasn't born deaf, goodness, that had to have been terrible. How she is able to remain so happy and kind yet face so much...it really puts my petty troubles into focus. Her hands ached to reach out and comfort Rosaline, but she refrained. Not everyone liked to be touched when they were upset, most certainly by someone they met rather recently. And that wasn't even taking in account the fact that she was a knight of a foreign kingdom with the princess. No doubt tongues were wagging enough at the fact that she was spending so much time with Rosie.

"It would be my pleasure to join you for a ride." Hoping to lift Rosie's spirits, the red head added, "So when I inevitably become lost, at least we will be lost together."

Upon hearing Ana's voice telling him to join her, he felt a little relieved. Perhaps he wasn't going to get slapped. He approached her before standing next to her, his hands clasped together behind his back. As she mentioned her mother, he turned his head to face her and listened to her words with only compassion etched on his face. "Your mother was right that you would have to make sacrifices. However, I honestly don't believe she would have imagined or expected what you are facing now. None of us could have." He wanted to place a reassuring arm around her or give her a comforting hug like he would have before now, but all of a sudden it felt like doing so would be forbidden or misinterpreted by certain people who might witness it.

When Ana began making her way down the stairs, Edward remained where he was before realising she wanted him to follow her. He caught up just as she took her shoes off and couldn't help but let out an awkward laugh. "What are you doing?" he suspiciously asked, catching her devious smile. When she asked him to find her, he stood confused for a moment before reluctantly giving in. She'd already had a head start on him. "Oh, you don't think I know my way through this maze?! I have everything ingrained in my mind. I'm even giving you a head start," he teasingly called out to her and grinned to himself. They'd done this many times before when they were kids. He remembered all of the hiding places. He just needed to figure out which place she was in this time. He tried to avoid thinking about how this could well be one of the last times they would spend alone together, but it was still there in the back of his mind. He would continue to search through the maze for her, checking every hiding place he knew of. When (if) he eventually found her, he stood with his arms folded and grinned. "You almost had me, but I'm too good at this game. Now, what's my prize?" he joked.

kinopoisk-ru-logan-lerman-1252535-jpg.290226

Andrew sat by Frederick's side and carried out his duty of tasting the food before the Prince did. Everything tasted fine to him and didn't have any unwanted effects. Thankfully for the kid! In fact, it was pretty good food. So much so that he decided he would speak up. "Thank you for this feast, Your Majesty," he told King Leo. "You do have good staff," he agreed. He watched when Edward got up to leave and was actually quite relieved. He seemed like a nice enough man, but he found it awkward when the King's advisor and Frederick were around each other. The tension was justified, given the political circumstances, but the page thought it was time for them to unite now their kingdoms would be united. "It's nice food, Your Highness," Andrew confirmed to Frederick.​

Analise felt like such a little kid again. She could remember it being a time where there were no worries. At that age, she didn't even have to think about getting married to a complete stranger or taking care of her sisters. It was just her, running through the maze and hiding. And hiding was what she was doing until Edward found her. She was laying on the ground with her hand on her stomach with a smile. "A prize? And why should I give you such a thing? You should be honored to have found me in the first place. Many people wouldn't have it so easy." She replied. Her eyes locked with his and she looked away. How mean she had been to him that day and she was feeling terrible about it since. Of course she owed him an apology and it wasn't easy for her to spit it out either. "I'm sorry for hitting you earlier. It wasn't your fault, I was just... Upset." She told him, her voice as sincere as she could possibly make it. She truly hoped her actions earlier that day didn't taint his overall opinion of her whatsoever. It would truly conflict with the feelings she had for him inside; feelings that were going to come out if she didn't contain them.

"Fine, I don't need a prize," he gave in. "But you really should get up from the floor before you ruin that beautiful dress," he advised, outstretching his hand to help her up onto her feet. When Ana apologised for hitting him, he wasn't sure how to feel. "Don't apologise. I understand how you could blame me and I'm glad you could take it out on someone, even if it was my poor little face," he said, trying to play down how awful he'd really felt about her reaction to him. "It makes me sick to my stomach to think of you marrying Frederick. I want so badly to be able to stop this without causing a war and betraying your dear father's trust. I care for this kingdom, but I especially care for you. You deserve the chance to fall in love with someone who will love you in return." Edward looked up to the sky as he tried to contain his emotions and sound objective. Of course he loved her, but any thoughts of her feeling the same and them being happy together was just a wild fantasy. He'd just be happy to watch her happy with someone she genuinely loves, no matter who that would be. "I'm sorry. I'm not helping to cheer you up here..." he sadly added.​

She looked at his hand and contemplated taking it before she decided not to. Instead, she took his hand in hers pretending to get up but pulled him down with her instead. It didn't go as she planned, accidentally pulling him on top of her. Her groan turned into a laugh before she quieted down, listening to him speak. There was something in his voice that she just couldn't put her finger on. Could it be that he was jealous? Him looking up at the stars didn't help her determine it either, desperately wanting to search his face for answers. If he was jealous then that meant that he had feelings for her. And if that were true, this whole marriage was complicating thins even more. When he apologized for not being helpful, she just shook her head and ruffled his hair as she slowly started stroking it instead. "Just you being here after how awful I was to you early makes me feel better, royal adviser."

156488947.jpg
The guests began a bouncy polka, and Bramble, who did not like the hard, breathless dance, slipped past the blur of dancers to the corner, where the glimmering, decorated maple trees stood, hoping to spend a few moments out of sight. The ball had gone perfectly so far. If only Mother were here, and her sisters stuck together like they used to. It would complete everything. Mother would be so proud of her dancing and feiryness, of Ana's ability to take care and look after them, Rosie for stepping out of her shell and accomplishing everything she could, and determined little Josie for never stepping down. But she was dead, Bramble was reminded of that everyday, when she danced. Mother had taught her to dance. But she was gone, left with a father who hated them, and wouldn't care who she loved. She'd be married to some ghastly, boring noble who cared nothing about her.

Bramble's toes curled in her dance slippers.

She hated the sick, milk-turning feeling that came when she thought of her future gentleman. She pictured it as a sort of ball, one that lasted a lifetime, in which the King chose her dance partner. And she didn’t know if he would be a considerate dancer, one who led her through tight turns with ease, or if he would lurch through the steps. Or worse, if he was the sort of partner who would force her through the movements and scoff at her when she stumbled at his hand. Bramble tried to swallow the feeling away.

She angrily tore a leaf off a tree and crunched and crumbled it in her fingers as she watched Frederick and Andrew from across the room. Pompous ass, she thought. I can't turn one corner without running into a pompous ass. She glanced at the young boy next to him and frowned. A taster, how tragic. Now she couldn't drug him and send him back where he came from with a note that said 'You can have your rotten son back.' Of course, she'd just have to find a way around the taster. Gain his trust or...she sighed, her thoughts weighing on her. Mother always told her she was too clever for her own good, she never knew what she meant until now. How could she ever enjoy herself if she schemed all the time?

Emile Hasard watched Bramble from the dessert table across the room, watching her crumble a leaf in her nimble, thieving fingers. So she had told her older sister of their conversation. They were both severely mistaken that he would go. He wanted something, and he would get it. By the end of tonight, he would make sure Bramble knew it.

Last edited:
Princess Josephine Evrole of Argonia

Dancing with your feet is one thing. Dancing with the heart is another.
The Queen

If you dance with your heart, your body will always follow.
The Queen

proxy.php

Josie knew she looked amazing. She had to if she wanted to make a lasting impression as a future Queen, even if her coronation is years away. Josephine knew she wasn't going to be asked by any nobleman anytime soon, but she didn't care. Her eyes were set on the chocolate fondue on the table, and Josephine couldn't wait to dip a strawberry in.

She sat through Ana's well-acted speech, marveling at how well Analise kept herself composed and elegant about her current situation. Josie made a mental note to do that whenever she could, as practice. As soon as the speech was over, Josie went straight to the table, her eyes brightening at all the delicious food. Soon, she was dipping any and all strawberries in chocolate fondue, feasting as she watched men and women twirl and move to the rhythm of the melody further into the ballroom. She grinned as she watched Bramble be lead away by a particularly dull nobleman, Lord Fairweller. She caught her older sister's glare at a certain someone from across the room, no doubt Damon. Josie knew that he may be uncivilized, but he was certainly a jester. Undeniably, he must've pushed Fairweller in the 'right' direction.
Josephine watched in awe as Bramble danced with the surprisingly masterful dancer Fairweller, her skirts swishing across the floor with every motion. Despite being paired with a humdrum like Fairweller, Bramble still managed to awe anyone and everyone with her flawless dancing skills. Josie admired Bramble for that, and was suddenly excited to put her dance talents into practice.

But who was to be her dance partner?

Josephine scanned the area, trying to figure out who would be decent to partner up with. Certainly not Lord Fairweller; though he was a masterful dancer, he was just too much of a humdrum. Lord Wilbur was much too fat, and Josie feared that Sir Julius was too old to keep up with her youthful pace when it came to dancing. Josephine sighed, casting her eyes down in disappointment. It was hard being the youngest; she was never really taken seriously (the only exception was obviously her sisters), she was constantly underestimated (could be taken as a bonus) and she was seemingly just not the ideal dance partner. Josephine's eyes wandered across the room aimlessly. Suddenly, a familiar figure caught her eye.

Lucas!

Josephine instantly wondered if he would care to dance with her, even if it was just one dance. He wasn't at all like the other noblemen of the court. He was kind, gentle, honest and humble. The best part was, it was all genuine. And, he wasn't too fat or too old, so he was perfect, even if he was ten or more years her senior. Hopes high once more, Josephine made her way to him, noting his polished look. He was with his friends, but seemed to fade farther into the background, further away from his comrades. His back was to her, and he seemed to be in deep thought. Josephine smiled and tapped his shoulder, making Lucas turn around instantly. His eyes widened for a second, and then relaxed, a gentle smile on his face. "Well, don't you look stunning today, Your Highness," he greeted formally. Josephine accepted the compliment, but rolled her eyes at his formality. "It's alright," she answered. "You don't need to call me by formal names. Just Josie is fine." Lucas's smile grew bigger and he nodded. "Of course," he responded. "So Josie, is there something you need or..."
"Do you mind being my dance partner?" Josephine smiled sweetly at him, being straightforward. Lucas hesitated, stammering slightly. "O-oh, well...I'm not a very good dancer," he answered back sheepishly. "Of course, I know how to do the waltz, but I'm afraid I'm not as skilled as most in this ballroom." Lucas's gaze went straight to Fairweller, who was dancing the night away with another woman, his skill very apparent.
"I asked if you'd like to be dance partners, not if you're an expert or not," stated Josie in a matter-of-fact tone. She softened, breaking into a grin. "It'll be fun, don't worry."
Finally, Lucas gave in, and soon, he was escorting her to a suitable spot in the ballroom. They got into the proper positions, and Josie was silently thankful she was tall enough to at least dance appropriately. The music started in an instant, a soft and steady tune, perfect for the waltz. Lucas seemed almost nervous, and as they were beginning to waltz, the uneasiness didn't seem to leave the young guard. While Josie took in her steps confidently, Lucas was looking towards the ground, to his feet, counting under his breath, trying hard to be perfect. Josephine sighed internally; this wasn't what she was expecting, truth be told. Josephine
did hers with ease, and realized that despite the uncertainty in Lucas's movement, he seemed to be a natural for dance. He had some way to go, but with practice and hard work, Josie knew Lucas could be as good as any Fairweller. Does he realize? she wondered, glancing at her fumbling partner. By the looks of things, he doesn't. But Josie knew that could most definitely change. All he needed was the right teacher. No, it couldn't be her. She was too young, and a student herself. But...there was Bramble.

Bramble was a master in the art of dance, the perfect teacher. Josephine should know; she was taught by her!

Josie instantly recalled the way Lucas stared at Bramble back in Analise's chambers. He definitely had feelings for her. That fact alone would make it easier, however, one question remained. Did Bramble love him back?

She knew that her partner was trying too hard, too focused on the movements of his body than on following his heart. Josephine smiled as she realized Lucas reminded her of a certain memory, one that caught Mama saying a wise old saying she used to tell her daughters all the time, as they all started to learn dance.

"It's too hard!" said the oldest, Analise, sighing in frustration. Rosie was too busy trying to focus on getting the footwork right to answer, her face creased in silent concentration. "Ana's right," responded fiery-headed Bramble, crossing her arms. "No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get it right." Little Josie approached her mother, the toddler's hands tugging on the Queen's skirts. "Will we eva get it right, Momma?"

The Queen smiled a soft smile, and took her youngest daughter's hand as they reached Bramble. The Queen took her by the hand too, and approached the last two. "Now, now," she said, elegantly plopping to the ground. "It's only the beginning. Dancing with your feet is one thing. You don't do as well because your mind is too concentrated on following on your body's movements. However, when you dance with your heart, your body will always follow."

Finally, the waltz ended. Josephine was glad too; Lucas would've almost accidentally succeeded to step on her foot five different times if it weren't for her dodges. Lucas looked relieved as well, but troubled. Josie caught him glance towards a certain fiery-spirited Princess, then glance back, unsure. Josephine knew she had to thank him for being her partner, as it was custom, but decided on being bold, asking him, "Is something wrong?" Lucas hesitated before answering. "I know I was terrible," he started. "I know I can do better, a-and I tried--I honestly did, but-" he sighed in between, "-I was trying to muster up the courage to ask Princess Bramble to dance. But with my moves suddenly this bad, it's not worth the risk. It'd humiliating for her being seen dancing with a big oaf like me."
Josephine stared at him, shocked. Of course, Josephine admired the sweetness and modesty of this guard, but sometimes he took it too far. Josephine shook her head vigorously. "No, Lucas," she objected. "It is worth the risk. You were just trying too hard," she continued, remembering the words of her mother. "And when you try too hard, you focus on your body's movements than on following the most important thing to dance; your heart. When you dance with your heart, your body will always follow." With a smirk on her face, she added, "And when that's all done, of course she'd love to be seen dancing with a big oaf like you."

Lucas Astor

They told me that to make her fall in love, I had to make her laugh. But every time she laughs, I'm the one who falls in love.
~Lucas Astor

bb49141082ff2a21fe651f2e36132f2b.jpg

Lucas just had to smile to that. In fact, he did more than smile; he grinned, then he laughed. Princess Josephine Evrole of Argonia, the youngest of all the Princesses, was giving him love advice. Well, partially. It was mostly on dance, but it didn't matter, they were still connected. He wasn't ridiculing her in any way; her words were wise and it gave Lucas a new flush of high hopes. Josephine was right; he had to let his heart lead him in this. He had been too focused, trying too hard. His dancing skills weren't very impressive, but he knew he was familiar with the waltz. In fact, he was rather splendid in it. He had to dance in more than few occasions back in his village for special festivals and birthdays. While dancing with Josephine, he had silently thanked his mother for putting him through all those grueling lessons. They would finally pay off.

That is, if he was man enough to ask Bramble for a dance.

Lucas took in a deep breath, as if trying to calm down his nerves. Never in his life had asking for a dance been so difficult. Nevertheless, he was confident. You could see it in the way he walked, away from Josephine (not before bowing and thanking her for the dance), the way his face was lit in a rather hopeful and anticipated expression as his gaze swept the area for the dashing Princess. The guests were dancing to a rather energetic song, not at all to Lucas's taste or liking. He kept looking, his hopes starting to dim just a bit. Where was she? Did he somehow miss her?
But how? he wondered. Surely someone as beautiful and as spirited as she could never be---

Suddenly, Lucas stopped, his eyes wide and filled with relief and secret admiration as his gaze landed on a certain someone from a few meters away, hidden in the corner, surrounded by maple trees.
"Missed," he finished his thought out loud, his voice quiet and soft. Bramble seemed even lovelier, with the moonlight washing upon the lady, making her shine as bright as any star. Not really knowing what he was doing, Lucas let his heart lead him, all the way to where she was standing, discreetly crunching up a leaf, knowing something was off.
"Bramble?" he murmured, not even using her formal name. In fact, he had forgotten all about it. His tone was soft, deep and hinted with concern.

Interactions: Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow and once again, myself xP

(By the way, I decided not to add Emile into this one, Ms. Sparrow. I'm saving him up for another post, if things go smoothly ^^ Right now, I think it's time for a little alone time between Lucas and Bramble xD)

(Also, it's late for me and I'm mentally retarded right now, so Lucas's post isn't as good. I'll probably edit tomorrow, but who knows?)

Last edited:

Edward smiled faintly as Ana reached to take his hand. Suddenly, he found himself being pulled down until he fell on top of her. He quickly moved off of her but sat on the floor as he checked to make sure she wasn't hurt. "Your Highness, I'm so sorry..." He instinctively began to apologise before seeing the Princess was now laughing, so he laughed too. "I wouldn't let a slap or angry words stop me from caring, no matter how much we feel I deserved it." Ana then ruffled his hair before stroking it. "Hey! How would you feel if I messed your hair?" he playfully joked. He then moved his hand towards her, almost like he was going to ruffle her hair in return. Instead, his hand stopped by her face as he gently stroked her cheek with his fingertips, looking deep into her eyes. "Ana, you're so perfect..." He began, before his head caught up with his heart. He pulled his hand away and rushed to his feet. "Your Highness, please forgive me. I shouldn't have..." He apologised and quickly bowed. His heart now raced in his chest as he realised he'd just crossed a serious boundary and at a terrible time.​

Last edited:
ed2c919c8f7e16a37cfc6917eb783d6d.jpg

When his hand touched her face, her heart fluttered. It was in that very moment that she admitted to herself that she did have feelings for Edward. She was convinced he did as well and was prepared for the added complications. She was willing to risk it, just for him. Only if he kissed her. When he didn't, it came as a disappointment. The young girl inside her screamed and pouted, while the more poised girl on the inside was just flustered. Standing up, she dusted herself off and gave him a soft smile. "We were caught up in the moment. Your secret is safe with me." She quickly added, "We should get back shouldn't we?" She couldn't look him in the eye now, not after that. She quickly started her trek back to the ballroom and rolled her eyes mumbling to herself. "I hate my fucking life." So unladylike yet there was no one to hear her so she didn't really care. Hopefully, no one had noticed she was missing, but now she had to put her mask back on and find Frederick. After all, she was supposed to be making it seem like she was ecstatic about this wedding, wasn't she?

barnes.jpeg

There was a moment that Edward thought he saw something in Ana's eyes; some glimmer of hope that she could love him too and that he hadn't made a huge mistake. Then, the Princess simply got up and dusted herself off. She merely gave him a smile and informed him she would keep his secret. When she said they should go back, he only said "no". He'd hoped she'd at least give him one more opportunity to explain himself and tell her the truth, but she rushed off. He didn't follow her. It was clear to him now that he'd read everything wrong and he'd been naive to think he stood a chance with Ana. He took a couple of turns in the maze before finding a secluded part with a seat for him to sit on. He'd spent all day trying to hold in his feelings and paint on his unaffected business face, but now he was alone he didn't need to. Burying his face in his hands, all he could do was cry. This had been his home and the Evroles had been a second family to him, but all was in the process of being lost and in this moment he didn't feel like he would be strong enough to fight it.

After a few minutes of finally letting out his emotions, he rubbed his eyes dry and began to take control again. It was now clear what he would do and he would make his intentions known to the King the following morning, after sleeping on it. He would stay around the kingdom until Ana's wedding, unless it was rightfully cancelled. If the wedding went ahead, the Princesses would still have Leo to look after them with Ana gone. Edward would return to exploring the seas and spend as little time as possible in a kingdom that would then be united with the Elfians. Leo hadn't consulted him about his intentions for Ana and Frederick to be married - not until the last possible moment, making Edward question whether he would soon be needed at all.

He got up and made his way back to the ballroom to show his face once more before he would excuse himself from the celebrations. He didn't make eye-contact with Leo or Ana when he sighted them. By now, with his inability to stop the wedding and almost professing his love for her, Ana would hate him. And the King, he would be furious if he knew how Edward felt about his daughter. When he found Geoffrey, Edward approached his friend. "Am I glad to see you. Are you alright?" he asked, barely able to even form a smile anymore. "I thought it would be rude not to find you before my evening was done. I don't think I'll be sticking around here for much longer. I'm exhausted," he said. "I used all of my energy setting this mockery up, so I have none left to even dance now," he half-joked.​

Last edited:
486461_5108002622899_3M_big.jpg
Bramble stared at Frederick from across the room. Pressing her lips so thinly together they were hardly visible. Ana didn't deserve this, he didn't deserve her. She had to get rid of him. Before Emile blabbered all their secrets, and Frederick used it to control them like puppets. Rotter, she thought. Rotten shilling-punter. She looked at Josie from a distance, and she brightened a bit, thinking back to a distant memory.

In the middle of the empty ballroom floor sat five teacups in a ring. In each one stood a candle, flickering merrily.

“The candle dance!” said Mother. She picked up one of the teacups. The candle sputtered but did not go out. She smiled and placed a teacup on each of the girls’ heads.

“Grace—balance, that’s what this dance is about.” Mother said with a smile.

Mother showed them how to move on their feet without letting the top part of them bounce. By the end of the third hour, even Rosie and Josie stepped without losing their candles.

“And two, feet together, and dip. Very good! Sweep a curtsy to your gentleman.”

The girls dipped a curtsy. Their teacups fell off their heads and clattered to the ground. Mother, laughing, picked them back up, and the candles inside flitted back to life.

“Curtsies next time,” she said.

“Mother,” signed Rosie as they set the teacups on the dessert table. “Could you show us the Soul’s Curtsy?”

The chattering hushed. Mother hesitated.

“Go on,” said Bramble, grinning. “They’re old enough now.”

Mother smiled, inhaled, and touched her right foot in front of her. She traced it in a circle behind her, then slowly sank to the left knee. With strained balance, she folded herself up as she disappeared into the poof of her skirts. Her legs twisted like pretzels beneath her. She bowed her head, nearly kissing the floor, and extended her right arm above her, her left tucked behind her back. The girls applauded.

“How beautiful,” signed Rosie.

“Now that’s a curtsy,” said Bramble, helping Mother up.

“But it’s not just for anyone,” said Analise matter-of-factly. “It has to be for your husband, or royalty. Like a king.” Mother smiled and nodded in approval.

Josie giggled. “For you that will be the same thing!”

Analise smiled again, but this time it was strained, and as Bramble teased the girls into learning the dip, Mother frowned. Just then, the King, who'd been watching from the doors, approached the Queen and rubbed her back in a comforting way as she watched her daughters. She forced a smile as she watched Ana. Thinking of Analise's future duties.

“I should think,” he said, watching Analise interact with her sisters in admiration, his voice low so the girls wouldn't hear. “If Analise were born after her sisters, it would be one of them faced with such a duty. And, from what I have seen of her, Analise, would do anything to keep them from unhappiness. Her sisters could not handle the burden. Look.”

The Queen looked over at the dance floor, where Bramble had made the younger girls sit on the floor, while she and Analise, leaped over them. The younger girls squealed uproariously whenever the skirt hems brushed their faces. Bramble was saying, “Don’t jump up, Josie, you great idiot, do you want your head to get knocked off?” Mother softly laughed, leaning against the King as they watched the girls with admiration.

"Bramble?"

Bramble jumped, startled out of her thoughts by a voice that she'd come to rather like. She turned towards Lucas, she grinned at the sight of him, admiring his boldness for approaching. Her heart fluttered at his polished appearance. She brightened instantly, she gave a slight wave as she said, "Hulloa, Lucas!" She greeted with a smile, folding her hands in front of her. "What brings you to our jolly ball full of cold-blooded-reptiles?" Bramble joked with a wry smile, an eyebrow arched in curiosity as she tried to ignore her rapid heartbeat that threatened to leap out of her corset.
madame moiselle madame moiselle

Geoffrey turned at Edward's approach, facing his friend. Something was certainly amiss, the younger knight concluded when he failed to see even a glimmer of mirth in Edward's eyes. He listened to the words spoken to him, but they still didn't add up. He had seen Edward work tirelessly on trade agreements and other negotiations, never once appearing this..defeated.

"You can confide in me what is actually troubling you, Edward," he offered quietly, looking into his friend's reddened eyes. "You know I won't say a word to another soul." Emotional support was something Geoffrey could handle, being very good at simply listening rather than speaking. It was when it was his turn to express emotions that the gentle giant of a man had problems. "We can speak elsewhere if it would make you more comfortable."

Edward looked at his friend and quickly nodded, biting his lip as he tried to stop his emotions from showing. "You're a good friend and I shouldn't burden you like this... But you are the only one I trust enough to confide in." He motioned towards the balcony he'd been on a little earlier. "This would be best said away from curious ears."

Once out on the balcony, Edward turned to Geoffrey and so he could watch for anyone who might appear. This wasn't a business meeting or a speech, so he knew it would be better to get straight to the point with his friend. "I'm... I'm in love with Ana," he said, his face burning up as he spoke about his personal feelings. "Until now I was able to hide them. But a short time ago, I believe I made my feelings for her clear. Ana rushed off and now she can't even look at me." Edward shook his head. "I've ruined everything. Ana by now can't stand me and I'm betraying our king with these feelings for his daughter." He looked to Geoffrey to try gauge how disgusted his friend might be with him.​

Last edited:
Deep concern filled Geoffrey as he followed Edward diligently, arms folding beneath the cape covering the left side of his body. He had known the other man since he had been a squire, one of the few who didn't automatically assume he was unintelligent due to his physical appearance. In all of that time, he had only seen him truly upset a handful of times. He mentally braced himself for the revelation.

But he couldn't quite be prepared for that news. His heart twisted in his chest, and it took all of his firm resolve to keep his expression neutral. It was difficult to not love the willful elder princess, he had to admit. Focusing on the breath moving in and out of his lungs, he was able to see clearly through the maelstrom of emotions raging in his heart. His feelings for Ana were completely one-sided, and he was well aware of his station in life as as a third son and knight of the realm. Edward, though...

"Just because she rushed away doesn't necessarily mean rejection, Edward. She just found out that she has to marry Prince Frederick and to add your feelings for her did make it more complicated. You have known each other too long now for her to hate you. Give her time to adjust to these revelations and decide what she wants, but don't give up just yet. I will keep an eye out for any false movement from the Elfians that could nullify the arrangement." Geoffrey patted Edward's shoulder, sympathy in his dark eyes.

"You both deserve to be happy, so I will do whatever I can without threatening our kingdom to help see that happen. We have three months to find another course of action." Just because he could not have the love he pined for didn't mean that anyone else had to be miserable.

barnes-jpeg.296879

Edward was visibly relieved when he realised Geoffrey was being nothing but supportive to him. He had no idea the knight also had feelings for Ana, but he still expected his friend to be disappointed in him for his revelation. They'd been friends for years now and Edward was glad he had someone he could confide in so much. He'd certainly miss him if he were to leave the castle and he felt bad even contemplating leaving him to deal with any aftermath of Ana's marriage to Frederick. But these were things he would have to weigh up in his own head later, when he wasn't being clouded by raw emotions.

"I do hope you're right and she can forgive me," he apprehensively replied, as Geoffrey patted his shoulder. "I'm so damn disappointed with myself for letting my feelings mess me up like this, but at the same time I can't help myself. I don't think I've ever been so... selfish," he said, shaking his head. "Ana is going through Hell knowing she has to marry that monster; the princesses are worried about losing their sister; and our people are about to unite with a kingdom that has caused ours so much loss already. Yet here I am thinking about myself!" he ranted. "That fucking..." Edward practically never swore, so he paused as he'd even surprised himself. "That megalomaniac in there is going to take everything from us," he said, of Frederick, pointing towards the ballroom. He then took a deep but refreshed breath. Getting this off of his chest and losing control for a moment certainly made him feel a little less suffocated. Edward dragged his fingers through his hair before looking his friend in the eyes. "You're right. We have three months," he said, firmly nodding. "I want this kingdom and Ana to be free of the Elfians. Even if it isn't with me, I just want to see Ana happy and with someone she loves."

Edward made a point of looking at the knight's formal clothing. "I mustn't continue to burden you with my problems when you're dressed well for what is intended to be a fun evening. We don't have to celebrate this sham engagement, but we can at least take advantage of the vast amount of alcohol, and there's some beautiful ladies inside who would jump at the chance to dance with you," he suggested, a little more like his fun-loving self. "Shall we go back inside?" Whether he enjoyed himself or not, Edward figured a few strong drinks now would help him sleep later.​

486461_5108002622899_3M_big.jpg
Bramble stared at Frederick from across the room. Pressing her lips so thinly together they were hardly visible. Ana didn't deserve this, he didn't deserve her. She had to get rid of him. Before Emile blabbered all their secrets, and Frederick used it to control them like puppets. Rotter, she thought. Rotten shilling-punter. She looked at Josie from a distance, and she brightened a bit, thinking back to a distant memory.

In the middle of the empty ballroom floor sat five teacups in a ring. In each one stood a candle, flickering merrily.

“The candle dance!” said Mother. She picked up one of the teacups. The candle sputtered but did not go out. She smiled and placed a teacup on each of the girls’ heads.

“Grace—balance, that’s what this dance is about.” Mother said with a smile.

Mother showed them how to move on their feet without letting the top part of them bounce. By the end of the third hour, even Rosie and Josie stepped without losing their candles.

“And two, feet together, and dip. Very good! Sweep a curtsy to your gentleman.”

The girls dipped a curtsy. Their teacups fell off their heads and clattered to the ground. Mother, laughing, picked them back up, and the candles inside flitted back to life.

“Curtsies next time,” she said.

“Mother,” signed Rosie as they set the teacups on the dessert table. “Could you show us the Soul’s Curtsy?”

The chattering hushed. Mother hesitated.

“Go on,” said Bramble, grinning. “They’re old enough now.”

Mother smiled, inhaled, and touched her right foot in front of her. She traced it in a circle behind her, then slowly sank to the left knee. With strained balance, she folded herself up as she disappeared into the poof of her skirts. Her legs twisted like pretzels beneath her. She bowed her head, nearly kissing the floor, and extended her right arm above her, her left tucked behind her back. The girls applauded.

“How beautiful,” signed Rosie.

“Now that’s a curtsy,” said Bramble, helping Mother up.

“But it’s not just for anyone,” said Analise matter-of-factly. “It has to be for your husband, or royalty. Like a king.” Mother smiled and nodded in approval.

Josie giggled. “For you that will be the same thing!”

Analise smiled again, but this time it was strained, and as Bramble teased the girls into learning the dip, Mother frowned. Just then, the King, who'd been watching from the doors, approached the Queen and rubbed her back in a comforting way as she watched her daughters. She forced a smile as she watched Ana. Thinking of Analise's future duties.

“I should think,” he said, watching Analise interact with her sisters in admiration, his voice low so the girls wouldn't hear. “If Analise were born after her sisters, it would be one of them faced with such a duty. And, from what I have seen of her, Analise, would do anything to keep them from unhappiness. Her sisters could not handle the burden. Look.”

The Queen looked over at the dance floor, where Bramble had made the younger girls sit on the floor, while she and Analise, leaped over them. The younger girls squealed uproariously whenever the skirt hems brushed their faces. Bramble was saying, “Don’t jump up, Josie, you great idiot, do you want your head to get knocked off?” Mother softly laughed, leaning against the King as they watched the girls with admiration.

"Bramble?"

Bramble jumped, startled out of her thoughts by a voice that she'd come to rather like. She turned towards Lucas, she grinned at the sight of him, admiring his boldness for approaching. Her heart fluttered at his polished appearance. She brightened instantly, she gave a slight wave as she said, "Hulloa, Lucas!" She greeted with a smile, folding her hands in front of her. "What brings you to our jolly ball full of cold-blooded-reptiles?" Bramble joked with a wry smile, an eyebrow arched in curiosity as she tried to ignore her rapid heartbeat that threatened to leap out of her corset.

Lucas Astor

[bloackquote=Dr. Seuss]You know when you're in love when reality is finally better than your dreams.[/blockquote]

bb49141082ff2a21fe651f2e36132f2b.jpg

Lucas smiled at the Princess's spirited greeting, even chuckling at her jab to all the hard-hearted men and women of the court. He tried to focus on giving a proper answer, but he couldn't help but admire the way she turned even the most distasteful of events (such as this ball) into a clever wisecrack. Lucas couldn't believe the grip this woman had on him; he truly felt as if he were under a spell, the spell of love. Of course, given the few encounters he had had with Bramble, these sentiments were rather strong, but Lucas felt as if he could spend an eternity talking to her, learning more about her character. It was as if an unspoken dream was just beginning to come true.

"Just enjoying the evening," he answered. "It's not every day you get to attend a royal ball. Especially not where I come from." At the mention of home, Lucas saddened, and though it was slight, it was visible.

Interactions: Ms. Sparrow Ms. Sparrow

(Sparrow, let's talk in PM; I got something planned xP)

968828_577778358928405_1847690727_n.jpg
Bramble tilted her head and smiled, but it hadn't had any wryness to it, detecting the sadness in Lucas's voice. She wondered if it was because where he came from, or because he missed it. Perhaps both. Would Ana be miserable when she left? Would she cry when no one saw, and with no sisters to comfort her? The thought made Bramble sick to her stomach, as if her insides had twisted in side her. Perhaps Lucas felt the same way, so far away from a family, a real family that cared for him. Bramble glanced towards Leon for a moment, remembering the harsh words she'd spat at him.

From the sofas, the girls watched, both fascinated and ducking behind them, eyes peeking above the backs of the chairs. If the Bramble threw the vial it'd probably hit the ceiling. She scrambled through multiple vials, as if one might contain the cure to their newly dead mother.

“Bramble,” said the King. “Let go. If your mother were here—”

“Don’t tell me what Mother would or would not do!” Bramble snarled. “She’s dead!”

Bramble's eyes watered in hot, angry tears. It was rare for her to ever cry or break down, but the day of the funeral sent a wave of emotions barreling into her, and she couldn't stop herself. She was breaking down for once in her lifetime. The King’s hand gripping Bramble faltered. Then it was back to a steel clamp.

“Bramble—”

“She’s dead!” said Bramble, the blue in his eyes blazing, intense. “Dead, dead—”

On the sofas by the fireplace, Josie and curled up into a little ball and began to cry.

“Bambi, stop,” said Analise.

“Miss Bramble,” said the King, who kept his hand firmly around Bramble's shaking wrist which refused to let go of a delicate and rare vial. “I think we are all aware of that. For now we will have to bearup—”

“What the devil for?” said Bramble. Her voice rang through the room. “It won’t be the same. Not with you.”

The King’s hand at Bramble's wrist shook. There was an odd, awkward moment, a hiccup of time, as though the air were being turned inside out. The King’s face seemed far more lined, and as Bramble drew close to him, she saw how old he suddenly looked, it made all his features taut and strained.

“We must do what we can, Bramble,” he managed to say. “In this family we—”

“You are not,” Bramble spat, “a part of this family.”

The King released Bramble's hand, sharply.

Bramble realized, with a flash of memory like a slap across her face, those had been her words. She winced. She wondered if he'd forgotten those words, if he'd understood that she was just breaking down and didn't mean them. She wondered if her sisters and him forgave her. She turned back towards Lucas, curious as to what his family was like. She smiled and held out her arm for him to loop his own through, she indicated towards a window with a nod of her head, the gardens illuminated by moonlight outside. "Walk with me?" She offered questioningly, her eyes filled with challenge and mischief. "If you don't, just think of the curiosity you will suffer." Bramble grinned, hoping to lighten the mood and get to know him more by walking with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back