• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy A Royal Engagement [Closed]

8e054890676fcf787a2de4afc097467f.jpg

afcc037274032207670680d90e6f02c6.jpg

Ana gave her sister a smile and turned a little so her dress ruffled. "Why thank you, dear sister. You as well." She signed to her. On her way down, she had heard little rumors on Rosie giving Gwen her favor and wanted to ask her about it. Just, not now and not in front of her father. It was a sister thing between the two of them and she would keep it from her father. She watched as her father gave her sister a kiss on her head and a bright smile. These were the moments she missed the most. When her father actually paid them attention and when he was more loving towards them. Shame it took him dying to do so. She just stood there with a smile on her face before noticing Amelia and how distant she seemed. She put an arm around her and smiled. "Oh, c'mon Eli. You're practically family too." Leo cleared his throat before placing his hands in front of him. "Well, if Bramble is sick, we must proceed. It'd be rude of us to keep them waiting. Edward can join us later. He looks... Busy." With a wave of his hand, he signaled that the procession was ready and trumpets were played. His daughters followed close behind him and before long, they reached their seats in their own private box. He sat in a chair a bit higher than the girls, an empty seat next to him.

The seat would be where his wife would sit and he always kept it empty. He never remarried, never took on a mistress, to respect his wife. No one ever sat in the seat and when someone offered to have it removed, he denied them. The seat would remain where it was. Ana and her sister would sit below him as their father stood and gave the opening remarks. "I'd like to welcome you all to the festivities of today in honor of our guests." He said directing the comment to the Prince. "Our day will begin with a contest between knights, an opportunity to show strength between men." He quickly added, "And women," in remembering seeing a female knight amongst the prince's ranks. "So, as much as I know you all like to hear me talk, let's let the games begin." He finished before the music started playing and he returned to his seat. He felt a tickle in his throat but ignored it, for the sake of wanting to enjoy the day with no worries.

"I am of the same mind, my friend. If we are to defeat the Elfians and prove we are equally capable in combat, it should be done honorably." The knight shook his head when asked about his own findings. "There are some dark rumors going about regarding Emile Hassard, though I haven't been able to find any concrete proof of any wrong doing on his part. The man is an eel. He is brazen enough to make threats to the royal family, which is why I have such concern for young Princess Bramble. If she is concealing something from us.." Geoffrey really didn't have much to go on, and it had been frustrating him. The only thing that he could do was continue to quietly investigate and see to it that there were guards in place to protect the princesses if his social assassination game did not work the way he wished.

"I did speak to Andrew, and the boy is not a concern. His loyalty is unwavering, though, so he might be convinced to do unsavory things at his lord's bidding. But of his own volition, nay, he is a good kid that will make a good knight if he keeps it up." Geoffrey looked up toward the seating area,hearing the king addressing the crowd. "It sounds like the event is going to begin, Edward. Go sit and enjoy your time with Ana while you can. And keep an eye on Prince Frederick. I'll maintain things down here."

Gwynyffer couldn't help her chuckle when the king amended to add women alongside the men at arms. Truly, she hadn't been offended since she had long ago become accustomed to being addressed alongside the other men. She was eager for the event and sat up tall when the word was given for the knights to begin their parade. The common people were lined on each side, trying to watch the noble knights as they passed by in the colors of their houses. Gwynyffer waved to some of the ones staring at her, and ignored the whistles from some of the men. That was something else she had learned to accept as well. When the knights passed by the royal seating area, Gwynyffer gave a bow to King Leo, Prince Frederick, and a smile and nod to Rosie. Her green eyes sought out the girl who made her heart race, her attempt to contain her grin much more difficult than she would like to admit.

wkhap107_fhm06.jpg

Rosie giggled as he father leaned down to kiss her forehead. It had been a long time since he'd shown her that kind of affection and Rosie wanted nothing more than to jump into his arms and give him a big bear hug. But alas, now was not the time. She and her family walked down toward their private box seats. She sat down beside Ana and Amelia stood just behind her. When her father started making his speech, Amelia signed in translation for her and Rosie did her best to stifle a giggle as he tried to include Gwynyffer. She was glad that her father was so kind and welcoming of the lady knight. Perhaps that would come in hand some day. The king sat and the knights started riding out, their horses adorned with their house insignia. When Gwynyffer came into view, Rosie couldn't keep her eyes off of her. She saw Gwynyffer's smile and nod and Rosie gave one right back, although her smile was more of a smirk. Doing her best not to implode from happiness. She turned to her sister and signed.
"Did you offer your favor to any of the knights?" She asked.

Melanin-Gxdess Melanin-Gxdess

"I forgot." She signed to her sister with wide eyes. She didn't even need to think about who she wanted to offer her favor to, Geoffrey popping into her head. She couldn't leave now, being secured in her place, so she sent a servant to grab him. Ana would just have to lean over the railing to do so in front of all of her royal subjects. It wouldn't be a problem, she decided, as long as she didn't fall. She couldn't help but notice the looks the female knight and her sister gave to each other. It was a look she knew well in light of recent events. There were some days she wished she could whisper to her sister in private but knew that was a luxury she no longer had. Instead, she would have to be cryptic until they had some alone time. "I'm glad you've taken a liking to the Prince's knight. It's been a long time since you've had a friend of your own." She signed to her, with a secretive smile. She knew of her sisters' liking towards the woman and on the inside, feared it. Mostly feared what other people would think and how they would treat her. It wasn't something she was sure her sister would be able to handle alone. And that's why she made sure she wouldn't have to if their relationship were ever to become something more.

wkhap107_fhm06.jpg

Rosie blushed, knowing that smile Ana was giving her. She quickly signed to protest. "It's not what you think. It was simply...a diplomatic measure. I want the Elfians to feel welcome and have no reason to start trouble." This was a lie, but it was a damn good lie. She loved her sister, and wanted more than anything to tell her her true feelings, but it was too risky. She couldn't let anyone know about her preferences. Whatever was going on between her and Gwynyffer had to stay a secret. Both of their livelihoods were at stake.

Geoffrey had been silently riding behind the procession of Argonian knights, his banner held high. The cheers he received were from a mixture of the common men and women, he being seen as more of a champion of the people for the good deeds he performed while protecting the kingdom. When a servant came running up to him, he felt concerned. Had something happened?

"Princess Ana wishes to see you, Sir," the boy called out to him.

Still feeling a bit of concern, the knight led his horse toward the podium that the royal family were perched on. His gaze noted that none of the royals seemed worse for wear, but still, he called out to her. "You wished to see me, your highness." So she wouldn't have to shout too loudly, the knight brought his horse as close to the railing as he could.

a98c7f6e353f57d6bb46326887ba1a9c-png.302082

Edward raised an eyebrow at the mention of Emile Hassard and folded his arms, his face etched with curiosity. "I don't speak with the man too often, but I have no reason to..." he began, before realising what else Geoffrey had said. "He's made threats to the family?! Bramble?" he asked, clearly angry with the idea. Edward hoped there was some kind of mistake. "I'll be sure to converse more with Emile in the near future," he assured him. This needed to be approached very delicately. He didn't doubt Geoffrey had legitimate concerns, but he couldn't make any sort of accusation towards Emile without any concrete evidence. He then processed the information about Andrew and simply nodded. He couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the kid.

When the king began his speech, Edward knew he would have to join the royals now. "Well, good luck with this pantomime," he told Geoffrey, firmly shaking the knight's hand. "Keep an eye on Frederick? You'd better watch yourself, Geoffrey, because the prince and I will be best friends by the end of the day," he joked. "Stay safe, my friend," he added, before walking away.

As Edward made his way to the royals' private box, he crossed paths with Olivia who was carrying a large bunch of flowers. "Oh, Olivia, you shouldn't have," the advisor said outstretching his arms as if accepting the gift. "I'm honoured."

"No, my lord. Unless you're engaged to be married then these flowers are not for you," she said, smirking. The flowers had been gifted to Ana and Frederick by one of the noble families, so she was taking them into the palace to to place with the other gifts. "You'll never get married, Edward Gladstone. You're too good and too much fun to be tied down like that."

"That's... that's the most confusing compliment I've ever received, Olivia. Thank you," he told her, chuckling. She was probably right that he'd never get married. He wasn't getting any younger and he knew it would take a long time to get over Ana, if he ever could at all. "Look after yourself, Olivia," kindly told her.

When Edward finally arrived in the private box, he first approached Leo and gave a quick bow. "Apologies for my tardiness, Your Majesty," he began, his face serious. His features soon softened. "I was checking in on various people and... well, you know me. I enjoy talking far too much," he joked. He glanced forward to see Ana leaning over the railing to speak with Geoffrey. Being as clueless and trusting of his two friends as he was, he took great pleasure in seeing Ana support Geoffrey in such a fashion. He was the obvious choice.

Edward then greeted Rosie, telling her he hoped she was well and taking pleasure in seeing the young princess looking so happy. He then approached Frederick and nodded to him. "I hope you enjoy the tournament, Your Highness. It's a nice touch to the festivities." Unless the prince had anything to discuss, Edward would take his usual seat near to the king's. He would quite like to speak with Frederick more at some point, but perhaps now was the wrong time.​

"I see. It looks like it has been fairly under wraps from what I have seen, so this is probably the most you'll find. While they have likely already caught on with questions being asked, any more prying may find us in a non-ideal situation. In that case, let us prepare for the tournament, since Leo has approved it.". He smiled and got ready.
*WEEE TIMESKIP*
Frederick entered the area where the tournament was being held, sitting in his own private area with Andrew and observing the people around with a smile, nodding when Leo directed their greetings towards him. He wanted to keep a special eye out for the ongoings and in the latter part of the tournament he had the full intention to challenge Emile Hasard in combat. Which they would struggle to refuse without tarnishing their reputation. He at least felt that there was something to be established here, mostly that no one was going to shove themselves somewhere where he had the position and authority. As usual, his clothing was laden with the protection that was not visible, because he played by no gentlemanly rules. Honour was death. Scheming and deviousness would win at the end of the day. Smiling widely thinking about it, he relaxed in his seat, watching the games, biding his time.

Untitled.png

Andrew was relieved that what he'd managed to find out was acceptable. "I'm not sure if Alyssa, the maid, would have known more than she told me," he said, not meaning to mention the girl's name. "I didn't get chance to pry further because that older maid, Olivia, interrupted us. She didn't know what we were talking about, but she said to just ask her any questions in future." At mention of the tournament, the boy simply nodded before getting ready.

Andrew accompanied Fredrick to their seats in their private box. He gazed out in the direction of the knights parading around before their tournament. Despite his earlier eagerness and usual interest in watching this sort of thing, he appeared impassive to it all. He wasn't so sure if he was seeking the right path for himself anymore. The last day had shown him that he'd throw away his own morals to follow Frederick's orders with hardly any hesitance. Speaking with the honourable knight, Geoffrey, had made him realise this. He doubted a true knight would have manipulated a nice girl like Alyssa in such a way.​

"Sir Geoffrey Rutherford," she began with a wide grin on her face. She didn't quite have anything to give him at the moment so a kiss on his cheek would have to make due. "I would like it if you would be so kind to ride in my honor?" She asked him before whispering only so the two of them could hear. "If you do I'll have something special for you." She didn't mean for it to come out as flirty as it did but it happened. The lip biting after it wasn't intentional either but it happened. This is what happens when you enjoy yourself and forget about all the issues going on. It didn't occur to her that her actions might cause some ripples on the scene but for now, she didn't care. Until either the tournament or the festivities, she wouldn't worry about much.

Merlin-Season-4-merlin-on-bbc-25200902-1707-2560.jpg
Geoffrey thought his heart was going to explode from his chest when she kissed his cheek, his eyes wide at the words she whispered in his ear. If only she knew how greatly her words inflicted both happiness and torment. He was honored and pleased to have been asked to represent Ana, but it was torment for how she teased his feelings without ever knowing about them. She was cruelly innocent, and he couldn't fault her for that. Taking in a deep breath and trying to ignore the embarrassed flush to his cheeks, the knight bowed to Ana. "You needn't have asked, but indeed I shall. For honor and glory, your highness." Geoffrey's charger pranced in place, the horse excited by the noises and other horses. If he had the courage and fortitude, this would have been the ideal time to have declared his love for Ana, she being so close to him that he could have whispered it to her. But thoughts of how it would hurt his friend kept him from doing so, the knight trying to keep a neutral expression despite the longing in his gaze and heart. It was better he suffer in silence than cause Edward even a small measure of pain. Besides, he was fairly sure that she loved Edward and thought of Geoffrey as a brother. She had never exhibited any signs in their years together as seeing him as anything different.

She smiled as he accepted her request and sat back down in her seat. Her father leaned down a bit to then whisper in her ear. It seemed everyone was whispering in ears today, huh? "Ever the flirtatious one, aren't you? Just like your mother. Just remember. You are engaged now." Ana gave him a weary smile and nodded her head, letting him know that she realized that. Her heart was heavy at the fact that she would never get the chance to have her heart broken by a man. It wasn't something most people looked forward to but she just wanted to experience it. She also realized she would never get the opportunity of being with more than one person before she actually found the one. It meant she would never get to see who she would be better with, Edward or Geoffrey? She mentally chastised herself for even thinking such a thing but what was a girl to do? Tapping her sisters' hand she signed to her as the tournament began and knights lined up. "After this, I think there's an archery tournament. I want to join in, would you as well?"

When Ana turned to return to her seat, Edward sent her a warm smile. He'd not spoken with her all day, despite desperately wanting to. There were too many people around and eyes were likely on the princess even more than usual. It wasn't that he couldn't act naturally around her, but he was currently still thinking about holding her in his arms the previous night. He'd kissed and embraced numerous women before, but he hadn't been in love with them the way he was in love with Ana. She unintentionally had him wrapped well and truly around her little finger, but he didn't even care. He noticed Leo lean forward to whisper into Ana's ear, but Edward didn't know what was being said and didn't try to know. It was nice seeing the king with at least two of his daughters today. He hoped there'd still be many days for the princesses to sit with their father. Edward already knew losing the king would darken his own days, so it would hit the princesses even harder. He knew they would have at least the support of Geoffrey and himself when that time sadly did come.​

57-Random%20Cute%20Girls.jpg

Rosie watched her sister speak with Geoffrey and she could obviously see that Ana was asking him to ride in her honor. She giggled at the look on Geoffrey's face. He looked so flustered. Ana came back and sat next to her and her father leaned in to whisper to her. Rosie frowned and looked back at the knights lining up. She could see Gwynyffer in the distance and she smiled to herself. She loved to watch people in their "natural habitat" Seeing them act so unapologetically themself always inspired Rosie. She went to pick up her sketch book to find it wasn't there. She frowned and was about to ask a servant to run and grab her a sketch book when she was brought out of her thoughts by her sister. She turned and blushed, shaking her head at her sister's request.
"Oh no...I'm truly not very good at it. But you'd do really well Ana. You should definitely enter."

251738_432028000167156_311043984_n.jpg
e460799966b64db30eddc33c92a26dfa.jpg
Bramble entered the arena that housed so many people. Her eyes flicked to the main box, which housed Rosie, Ana, and the King. Ana was already unto her. The King would notice she was off. Edward may be suspicious, though she wasn't sure. For now, she'd keep her distance. Her mind wandered to Lucas, briefly wondering if he was competing in the tournament, but she quickly shoved it out of her thoughts. She needed to greet her family, before doing some spying on her own. She began to head for the booth until Emile Hasard stood from his chair and dipped into a rippling, catlike bow.

Emile Hasard was again in his blue jacket, a white shirt and meticulously arranged necktie beneath it. Bramble smiled brilliantly over his offered hand. All of her was brilliant; she and Ms. Graybe had made sure of that.

It had been tedious and exhausting to clean up again, washing the dirt for plopping in the grass earlier and dried blood from her wounds, especially without soaking her still-oozing cut. Plenty of powder to cover paleness and shadowed circles. Her dress was a rich burgundy once again, a color originally chosen to set off her skin, tonight chosen to not immediately show a bloodstain. She’d never been more grateful for a tightly tied corset, though there was nothing she could do about the terrible ache in her head. People nearby stopped and turned in their chairs to see the interaction between Emile and Bramble, obviously they'd heard the rumors.

“Good evening, Miss Bramble,” said Emile.

Bramble kept her manufactured smile in place, raised her eyes, and saw that Dana stood just beyond Emile, filling one corner of the waiting room like a blond and marble statue, one of the few female guards. And her only girl friend she had.

“Hello, Dana. I thought you were away on the hunt. After a criminal, wasn’t it?”

Dana came over and swept into a formal bow. “The chase was called off.” Her eyes bore back into hers, as if she would tell her something, but couldn’t.

“Didn’t the dogs have the scent?” she asked.

“They did,” Emile answered. “But I chose not to pursue the matter, and so left the chase. I know where thief's can be found. ”

“But …” Bramble glanced at Dana, and then back to Emile. “I thought a servant said that a man had been killed?”

Emile gave a dismissive wave. “Nothing was taken, my lady, and why should I be concerned with a thief? They wouldn't be foolish enough to go after the Hasards," he paused and his eyes bore into hers. "I hope." The last part was obviously a threat directed to her.

“The dead man was a thief, then?”

“Really, Bambi,” said Cartier quickly. “I wonder with other servants putting these stories in your head. It’s not decent conversation. I should speak with them, I’m sure …”

While Cartier talked, Bramble leaned just a little toward Dana, to catch her low, quick words. “He rode straightaway from the hunting party on the flatlands. No way to follow without being seen. Missing from just after noon until now. And are you all right? I …”

“And where is Lucas?” Emile was inquiring. “I was disappointed not to be greeted by him. I had wished to …”

Bramble turned her head, frowning, causing a nauseating ache in her skull. She folded her arms across her chest. Why did Emile know his name? She hadn't spoken of him. Her eyes found Edward a distance away. She drew a sharp breath. Was Emile looking for ways to use Lucas against her by spying on those closest to her?

“Bramble?” It was Dana's voice, whispering from behind her. She had a hand on her arm. “Are you sure you’re all right?”

Bramble lifted her eyes to Emile, his face smug as he gazed languidly below, as if Lucas would appear any moment. How careful they had been all day, planning every detail to give her an alibi, to protect her from Damon's dangerous knowledge, and all the while doing nothing for everyone else because they’d thought it was done already. Now Emile threatened everything she cared about. Bramble set her mouth. She was at peace with paying for the crimes of the Thief with her life, but she would never allow them to be paid for with her sisters and friends. Emile was just going to have to think again about sharing the identity of the Thief.

“… my young nephew?”

Bramble's gaze jumped up, Dana stiffening just behind her. She had lost the thread of the conversation.

“Oh,” said Cartier. “I believe Hasard is …” He looked to Bramble.

“Sick,” Bramble finished for him. “Not feeling well at all. Such a … tiring day, and he was looking so—” She struggled for a word that wasn’t “knackered.” “—so overcome, I convinced him to stay in bed. I was concerned he might have …”

She paused, eyes darting to the door that led inside from the arena. Fast footsteps were coming down the corridor.

“… that he might have … caught something …”

Someone was running down the hall, the clack of shoes distinct against the floor tiles. She sensed Dana's sword hand move. She must have a knife somewhere in her dress. Then the door to the outside arena burst open, the resulting space filled with a green coat, complete with silver buttons.

“Ah! Here you all are!”

Bramble held her face still, hoping at least she hadn’t made Emile's mistake of showing her shock. Damon Hasard stood in the doorway, unshaven, tossled hair hanging over one eye, but with the heavy elegant voice and smooth manners in full force, brimming with that oblivious cheerfulness she found so annoying. But it didn’t matter now if Damon vexed every nerve she had. Not anymore. Not when the game was over. No time to discover how he might be bribed, no way to bring him to their side. They had just lost. Utterly and completely.

“Tell me I am not late?” he said.

Bramble let the realization settle. Maybe this was for the best. This way it would be her secrets spilt, not Ana's. And any more proof Emile needed was standing in rather handsome dishevelment in the waiting hall doorway, and bleeding just a bit into the bandage beneath her corset. Why could Damon Hasard never, ever be where he was supposed to be? Bramble threw her shoulders back. Despair made her angry.

“I was just telling your cousin I thought you were sick,” she said to Damon. “Why, exactly, aren’t you sick?” He must have the constitution of an ox; he should have been sleeping until the next morning. Cartier cleared his throat, but Bramble just narrowed her eyes at Damon, daring him to answer. A grin quirked at the corner of his mouth.

“Such a darling,” Damon said to the group. “And so considerate of my health. You’d have me abed all day, wouldn’t you, my love?”

The discomfort this statement left behind had everyone frowning except Cartier, who was still trying to work it out, and Bramble, who had been obliged to press her mouth tight against an unreasonable urge to laugh. What a parting shot.

“Always,” she replied slowly, “my love.” Though the look she sent clearly added her preference that he be in an unconscious or perhaps a non-breathing state. It made his grin leap onto both sides of his mouth. She saw Cartier's scowl deepen, felt Dana's resentment in the air behind her. Then Emile laughed, a sound like snakes slithering across a carpet.

“Well, isn’t that nice,” said Dana finally, fidgeting with her dress sleeves. “Young people, so nice …”

When her and Damon were younger. Bramble had asked Damon to pretend to be her fiancé. They would do this often to scare off suitors and cause trouble. She guessed the ruse was back up. Game on.

Nancy, a servant, appeared next to her somehow. “Your private box is ready, your Highness,” she said.

Bramble jumped from surprise but plastered a sweet smile, as if she had nothing on her that could hurt, ignoring all the things that did. She'd wanted her own private area, such for situations like this. She'd knew she'd run into these problems. She hoped her family wasn't too offended. “Thank you so much, Nancy.” She faced their little party. “Shall we all go? I'd love to talk more." She couldn't resist a hint of sarcasm flowing into her words.

“Please find a seat, everyone,” Bramble told them. They entered there own private box, her gaze wandered to her family's some distance away. Would they be suspicious? Most definitely. But she wasn't about to invite Emile Hasard into a box with them. They arranged themselves, on one end of the rectangular table, Bramble on one end of the table. Damon and Dana to her immediate right and left, Emile beside Dana and Cartier beside Damon. Lovely.

She shook out her napkin, then reached over her plate and passed a heavy platter of sea bass and potatoes to Dana, a move that hurt her side intensely. She gave the pain none of her attention. Damon Hasard had her well and truly on a hook, but she was in no mood to let him watch her wriggle.

“Damon,” she said. “I am so curious about how you’re feeling, and how you spent your time today. No more teasing now. Please tell us all about it.”

“Yes, tell us, Hasard,” said Cartier in the resulting pause. “I’d like to know that myself.” Bramble thrust a bowl of carrots at Cartier. Always at her heels, always the faithful friend. Only this time he had no idea what she was trying to do. If he had, he definitely would not be helping.

“But the answer is so dull, my love,” Damon replied, as if Cartier had not spoken. “Did you not think the night before so much more … stimulating?”

So, Bramble thought, he was getting straight to the point: her whereabouts last night. It was just as well, because she was tiring of the games. She glanced at Dana for the first time and met her startled eyes. This was going to hurt her, but better this pain than the physical of of accomplishing her. She gave her gaze back to Damon.

“Tell them,” she said.

“Bramble …” Dana reached for her arm but she put it under the table.

“Go on,” she encouraged, holding her back straight against the throbbing in her head and side. “Tell your uncle what I was doing last night. He will be so interested.”

There was a soft clank as Emile set down his fork. Again she exchanged a glance with Dana, and there was an expression on her face that she’d never had occasion to see. Dana had been her best friend since she was a wee chit. Her heart slammed rhythmically in her chest, so hard she feared that it was breaking. That look on Dana's face made her sure that it was. She turned again to Damon. “Well?”

Damon smile had gone, his lips opening slowly to speak below two very green, very inscrutable eyes. She didn’t look away this time.

“Well, do tell, Mr. Hasard,” said Cartier. “A friend should never be the last to know.” He chuckled to himself in the silence.

“Miss Bramble was out of her room last night …,” Damon began.

A sharp twinge shot through Bramble's head, but she met Damon's gaze without flinching.

“She was out of her room because …”

That corner of his mouth was quirking. How odd that she could be sitting in the private box, her life crumbling into ruins at her feet, wishing just a bit that the person doing the ruining had kissed her after all.

Damon broke into a sudden smile. “Bramble was out of her room all night … because she was with me.”

Bramble blinked. Damon ate a carrot. She looked to Cartier, who seemed to have deflated in his chair, while Emile, set down his wineglass, distinctly miffed. Dana had not moved a muscle, her muscular toned body tense and stiff.

“Oh,” Damon said, bringing a napkin to his mouth. “Oh, I beg your pardon!” He was playing the fake cocky Damon now. The one she'd grew up with. “But, please, do not misunderstand!” He leaned over his plate to look down the table at Dana. “Miss Caversham, I would never wish to stain the reputation of my fiancée. Bramble and I were up all night …” His face turned back to hers. “… playing chess.”

“Chess?” Dana repeated.

“Why, yes,” Bramble replied. “Chess.” She offered Dana a bowl. “Creamed peas?”

Dana took the bowl, visibly confused, though not nearly as confused as she was. Damon was very deliberately removing her from the hook, and she could not fathom why. Emile already knew her to be a thief, this dinner and entertainment was all but a silent threat. Emile had lost interest in their conversation, his pale eyes watching every bite that went into her mouth.

“Yes,” Bramble said again, addressing Damon and the whole table at once. “You have caught me out, I’m afraid. I couldn’t wait to tell them. It must have been humiliating to be beaten so many times. And so thoroughly.”

Damon smiled. “Except for that once.”

“Yes,” she agreed, meeting the green fire of his eyes, “except for that once. Isn’t that right, Cartier?” Her friend looked up from his plate, where he had been deep in thought. “Cartier was acting as chaperone, poor man.”

“He has always been an excellent servant and friend,” said Dana.

“Thank you, Dana,” Cartier said.

“Did you ever get any sleep, Cartier?” Bramble continued. “There was that one game, it must have been just before three?”

“Just after, I think,” Cartier replied. He looked from Bramble to Emile, who had stopped eating his own creamed peas and was now intent on the conversation. Cartier's brows came down, and Bramble knew he had just seen his danger. He was leverage to get her work down. But she knew he was more curious on why he was leverage in the first place. For what did Bramble agree to do? She wished she could tell. But she couldn't. Emile would know. He always knew.

“Yes, just after three,” Bramble agreed. “Tell them about it, Damon.”

Damon launched into an explanation of a game that Bramble wasn't familiar with, it was amazing if she was honest. This speech was so boring in its precise description of every piece and move, and at the same time such a perfect homage to Damon's own cleverness, that Bramble had to admit the whole thing was a stroke of genius. She watched Dana's face go from incredulous to blank, saw Emile cutting his potatoes into painstaking fourths, Cartier yawning behind his napkin. She wasn’t sure anyone even remembered what they’d been talking about.

Last edited:
m_m_tumblr_m1u818Tirx1rp1di8o1_1280.jpg
Gwynyffer had lost the easy smile she nearly always wore, her expression one of focus as she did a last check of all of her equipment. Her sharp gaze studied her opponent as he entered the list at the same time as she, and she settled her helmet on her head with the visor down. Her green and black lance was handed to her, and she turned Cathan in the list to ready for the initial charge. These were the moments she loved, the quiet before the thundering of hooves. With a nudge of her heels, her black steed raced through the list toward her opponent. As she rode, she carefully timed the shift of her lance sliding into the crook of her arm so that she could have better control and aim with the blunted weapon. The knight she was facing had underestimated the lady knight and had been careless in positioning his lance. His strike to Gwyn was enough to break the tip off of his lance, but hers had found more solid purchase on his person and completely shattered. The other knight reeled from the contact, and Gwyn noted the way that he shifted his weight to remain in the saddle. She needed to strike just a little more to the left, and she was sure that she could unhorse the arrogant fool. Tossing aside the lance and accepting the new one, she turned her horse into the list again. Just a little to the left. He puts all his weight there to catch himself., she reminded herself as she focused on the hoof beats of her charger. She counted them before sliding the lance into proper place, green eyes narrowed in concentration behind her helm. Her lance caught the opposing knight on his decorated buckler, her theory true on where to strike her opponent. Down Sir Henry fell, the large knight having been defeated largely by his own arrogance. Gwyn slowed Cathan to a halt and tossed her shattered lance, a confident smile on her lips as she removed her helmet and tossed her hair free. The knight gave a bow to the royal box before she turned her horse to exit the list. This would be her first and final easy opponent; now the men were aware of the young woman's actual skill and would be putting their all into the match.

"You think so?" She signed back after smiling at Edward. After thinking more of it for a second she nodded her head and signaled a servant over. "Would you be so kind as to retrieve my archery things? I'd like to participate in the archery tourney." Upon hearing those words, it sent a smile to Leo's mouth as he watched the tournament in front of him. It had been so long since she even used her bow and arrow and to see her relax and do so again made him smile. He rubbed his finger over his lips to try and hide it as he paid attention to the knights. The female knight from Elfian had proven herself to be worthy opponent indeed and shut all the male knights up. He would have to remember to offer her his congratulations to her personally later on in the day. He then leaned over to Edward to ask his opinion so far on the Elfian prince and his company. "The woman knight seems to have proved everyone who thought less of her wrong. I see why she's a part of Frederick's company as of now. Thoughts?"

Edward had watched Gwyn take on her opponent, but divided his attention anything else that was going on around them. It was more than interesting to see Bramble with the two Hasards - he was both curious and suspicious. The fact it was Emile Hasard also concerned him somewhat. What were they all up to? His attention was then drawn back towards the tournament, watching as Gwyn knocked Sir Henry down. What a treat that was!

When Leo leaned closer and addressed him, Edward diverted his full attention to the king. "Yes, she will have certainly silenced some of them." A smirk appeared on his face. "You know my feelings on the Neanderthal that is Sir Henry. It was quite pleasing to see the oaf put in his place. Don't get me wrong, I would stand by all of the Algonian knights in serious matters, but for the sake of this tournament it was nice to see Henry shown some humility." He then thought about the female Elfian knight in question. "I had chance to speak with Gwynyffer earlier and she seems to be a good, honourable woman. Obviously, her loyalty is firstly to Prince Frederick, so I'm under no illusions there. But so far, I like her. She's made friends with Rosie and seems to have brought the young princess out of her shell a little, which is nice to see."

Frederick smiled and gave a congratulatory thumbs up and so forth for his female champion's success. He noticed the more downtrodden face of his page and wondered what was going through his mind. Maybe he was getting morals mixed in that brain of his. "Knights lead simple lives, simply following orders. It's almost like they live in their own little climate of swords and honour. However, honour through and through is a fast track to being a vulnerable target to those more opportunistic. Consider yourselves lucky that you are seeing how to really survive in this world. I recommend you learn it too. Knights down there can enjoy their glory, for what it matters. Knights win battles. But leaders win wars.". He gave smiling and waves and clapping, based on what the crowd did. "The sooner you see the reality of the world, the better the chances you have of surviving and going higher.".
He was thinking about his timing to challenge Emile, then stroked his chin in thought and said. "Go to King Leo and tell him that once the knights have had their fights, I wish to make a declaration. That is all.". He would then bring the challenge to Emile, to which was only one to accept, or risk looking a coward. Of course he would fight without the use of visible armour in this gentlemanly duel, seeing as Frederick would use everything he can to make this easier for himself.

Rosie had to physically restrain herself from jumping from her seat with joy as Gwynyffer beat Sir Henry into the dust. She clapped vigorously, trying not to look too overly excited for her champion. She blushed at the thought. "My champion...granted she's first and foremost Frederick's champion but still...my champion..." She let her mind wander more on the subject of Gwynyffer, completely zoning out from the things happening around her. It wasn't until Amelia gently tapped her shoulder that she came back to the world. Amelia signed to her Princess.
"Are you alright Milady? You were staring off into space." Rosie nodded with a light blush.
"I am fine Amelia, thank you. I was just thinking is all." Rosie then remembered "Oh Amelia would you mind sending a servant to fetch me a sketchbook." Amelia nodded and whispered to one of the servants to run and grab the Princess her sketchbook. Rosie returned her attention back to the tournament.

Ana listened in on the conversation her father was having with Edward. She could only make out faint words but it was clear to her that they were speaking about the female knight. It was certain that she would be the talk of the party for quite some time, it seemed. Her train of thought on the woman was broken by her seeing Bramble up and about. Around her were people she didn't trust and she was immediately alarmed. But to not alarm anyone else, she rose from her seat and smiled at her father. "I feel like I've already been cooped in her for some time now. I think I'll go for a walk and be back." She politely dismissed herself and straightened her dress before walking to the box she had seen her sister in. Her father nodded his head at her before responding to Edward. "I agree." Was all he said as his eyes drifted down towards his daughter who was excited over seeing her win.

A servant tried to announce Analise, but she silenced him, standing in front of the entrance. "Well. Bambi, it seems you're feeling better." If her icy tone wasn't there, you wouldn't be able to tell that she was, in simpler words, pissed. She managed to keep the fake smile on her face as she laced her fingers together and placed them in front of her. "Father was quite worried you know. It would've been nice for you to at least have said hello." She then looked at the people that were also around and had come to the conclusion that she didn't like what she saw. The boy, Cartier, from earlier and the woman she didn't know. But Damon and Emile? People, she didn't particularly like at all. Damon was a trouble maker and she never approved of him and Emile was just someone she couldn't stand. "How are you all enjoying the festival so far? I heard somewhere there's an old gypsy woman telling fortunes."

399768_440190516017571_369146062_n.jpg

Bramble pushed the food around her plate, trying to pretend she had eaten some of it. The pain in her skull was increasing, the smell of the fish making her ill. And she had no idea what was happening.

“That is all so very instructive, Damon,” Emile interrupted suddenly, dabbing at his mouth. “But as a member of your family, I think I must point out to you the bad manners of bragging, especially at the expense of your fiancée. You would be sorry, I’m sure, if I had to speak to your mother about it.”

It was the first time Bramble had ever known Dana and Emile to be in agreement. But when she turned to Damon, she was surprised to see that this mild threat had actually carried weight. Damon's smile had tightened, like the grip on his fork.

“My apologies, Uncle,” he said quietly, “and Miss Bramble.”

His gaze ran once over hers. He looked away again, but not before she had noticed his look linger pointedly for just a moment on her side, the side closest to him. Sophia wrapped her arms around herself, as if she were chilly, squirming her fingers around until she felt a wet patch. Blood. Not much, but it was soaking through. She wiped her fingers discreetly on her napkin and folded it inward, smiling at them all, her head full of words she could not politely utter.

“Though I am glad you brought the particular subject to mind, Nephew,” Emile was saying. “Because I wished to ask—”

“Miss Caversham,” Damon interrupted. Dana looked up, scowling. “Would you find a shawl for Miss Bramble? She is coming all out in …” He turned to her. “What is the word, my love? Swan skin?”

“Gooseflesh, I believe he means,” Bramble explained. “I’m afraid I didn’t dress warmly enough.” She ignored the instant glances this statement caused to be directed at her bosom; she was too busy trying and failing to understand why Damon was shielding her. A shawl would cover the spreading bloodstain at her side.

“I have always thought Bramble should dress more warmly,” Cartier muttered.

Damon was still talking to Dana. “Perhaps the woman Nancy, or …”

Bramble supplied the name. “Ms. Graybe. Would you mind finding Graybe, Dana? She’ll know which shawl to send.”

“Of course,” Dana said, looking much less thunderous now that Bramble was the one asking. She left the room in a fast, heel clicking stomp, storming past an obviously pissed Ana. Bramble stood, as well as everyone else, Bramble ignored Ana's icy tone.

"I'd like to avoid the King for now, it's not like he really cares," Bramble replied in an icy tone with a sweet smile, 'the King' elaborated with more venom in her voice. Bramble hadn't called the King her father for a couple years. The box was definitely the last place she ever wanted Ana to be at the moment. Bramble's throbbing headache and Emile's looming presence didn't help her mood one bit. Her nails dug into the table.

Emile saw Ana's presence as an opportunity. He dipped into a bow, his graceful sleekness unsettling. "Ah, my lady, I am glad you are here," he said as he straightened, his voice calm and held his usual chocolate timbre. "We are having such a fun time, your sister and I, she is a gracious host, is she not?" He looked back at Bramble, who was pressing her lips so thinly together they weren't even visible, her nails digging harshly into the wooden surface.

She glared daggers at Emile and the room was filled with tension. Emile seemed unaffected, a hint of a smile showing a hint of his long dimples. Her anger seethed through the air, and her next words came out so cold and harsh that Cartier flinched from his seat, "We were just finishing up, Ana, I'll be along shortly," but Bramble's icy gaze never left Emile's.

The room seemed to smother in their glares. Emile broke it first as he slyly plopped back in his seat. Everyone else followed, Bramble being the last. Her gloves nulling the pain of digging her fingers into the table. It deeply frustrated her.

“I was saying,” Emile continued, taking in every moment of their little drama, “that I would also like to discuss last night.” He took a sip of wine, his signet ring with the seal of the Upper City flashing in the light. “I would like to discuss the person who was in my room.”

The clink of plate and glass stopped. Cartier spoke first. “But I thought you weren’t interested in that, Mr. Hasard. You called off the hunt.”

“Ah,” he replied. “But that is because we were hunting the wrong man.”

Bramble glanced at Ana, pressing her lips together. She knew what Emile was doing, with Ana in their presence no less. Technically, she hadn't agreed to Emile's request. He'd torment her until she said yes. But that meant killing a man. An innocent man most likely. Someone with a family maybe. Someone who wanted revenge on Emile. Probably because he hurt him somehow. Maybe he was a son, a brother, a father. Maybe he was a good man. A good man Emile wanted her to kill.

How could she ever do that?

Last edited:
Geoffrey's first match did not go as smoothly as Gwynyffer's. The knight simply wasn't gifted at the challenge since he didn't participate in the spectacle aspect of being a knight. Fortunately for him, the young knight he was paired to go against wasn't terribly skilled either. At least they were able to land their strikes; it would have been completely embarrassing If they couldn't. Geoffrey felt the soreness beginning as a fifth lance struck his upper chest, just the tip breaking off. His lance had shattered completely on the other knight, securing one victory against the Elfians.

His second opponent was much better at the joust than Geoffrey, and his strikes with the lance were delivered with such ferocity that a lesser man than Geoffrey would have been completely unhorsed. Unfortunately for him, his strikes were slightly off so that he only broke the tip of his lance off twice. It was enough that one last shattered lance gave victory to Sir Aiden.

He heaved a sigh as he dismounted his horse and pulled his helmet off. At least the joust was complete. Now he only had the feat of arms to compete in then his services would be complete. Silently Geoffrey recalled the kiss to his cheek from Ana, his only regret being that he couldn't have won for her.

m_m_tumblr_m1u818Tirx1rp1di8o1_1280.jpg

Gwynyffer's next few matches were not as startling as her first, the knight bring aware to actually put effort into the match now. Still, she was able to prove that technique could best brute strength every time. Her lower center of gravity also helped to keep her balanced on Cathan's back while reeling from a blow.

It was the next to last match, and Gwyn left her horse for a moment to get a drink of water and to allow Cathan water as well. She wasn't gone from his side long, but it was just enough. An unnoticed someone approached her horse and cut one of the straps holding her saddle in place. There was another thin strap holding it in place, so she didn't notice it at first. In fact, everything seemed normal as she began her match against Sir Connor. It was at the third strike that the strap broke, the affect not instantaneous.

Gwyn turned in the list and began the charge before she felt the shift of the saddle toward the side of her horse. Sir Connor didn't notice her plight until it was too late and he couldn't pull up the lance in time. It struck Gwyn at an odd angle since she had been in the process of catching herself from falling, and a sliver of the lance managed to lodge itself in one of the gaps in her armor. Gwyn dropped her lance and grasped Cathan's mane, holding herself in place despite the pain. Once her horse stopped, she dismounted and threw off her helmet. Fury shone in the young woman's eyes as she looked at the strap that had been cut, her rage helping her ignore the pain. "Sabotage! I swear I'll gut the man who did this. I could have been killed."

"I will find out who did this, Lady Gwynyffer, I promise. Get your wound tended to in the infirmary,"" Geoffrey promised her, watching the young woman start to argue with him despite the blood now staining her white shirt. "You don't want to make Princess Rosaline worried, now do you?" Hm, perhaps his friend was on to something with the way Gwyn's expression shifted. Her jaw tensed, but she left to go to the infirmary.

The armor was removed and the splinters steadily pulled from her skin. It was a torturous process, but one the knight was familiar enough with if some of the scars in a similar area were any indication. Alone now on a cot to rest, the knight spun the rose given to her by Rosie between her fingers. She had been so close to victory for her..

Geoffrey had a mess to clean up and investigate. It could have been a commoner unhappy with her winning streak against the Argonians, an Elfian knight wanting to win for Elfian, a servant of a noble who was unhappy with Frederick's presence, or an Argonian knight wanting the upper hand.

Rosie leapt from her seat and nearly knocked down the servant who had brought her sketch book. She ran out of the box and quickly down to find the infirmary. Rosie was running on complete instinct and worry. Seeing Gwynyffer get hurt sent her blood on fire. Amelia could barely keep up as Rosie stormed through looking through the tents, trying to find Gwynyffer. Obviously enraged and unable to control her emotions, Rosie spoke. Her words slurring and not exactly sounding correct but Rosie couldn't care less. She had to find the knight.
"Where is she?! Where is the infirmary?!" She screeched. Amelia was taken aback, she'd never heard the Princess speak and her heart broke hearing the pain in her lady's voice. She spoke after her to one very afraid looking knight.
"Sir please, can you point us in the direction of the infirmary?" The knight nodded and pointed and Rosie stormed in the direction. Amelia gave a quick thank you and followed quickly behind her Princess.

Rosie finally found the infirmary after what felt like ages and she flew the tent open and upon seeing the knight she felt herself relax a bit. But upon seeing all of the blood, she felt her's boiling. Amelia rested a hand on Rosie's shoulder, signing to her.
"Milady please, calm down." Rosie shrugged Amelia off.
"Tell that man to leave." She ordered. Amelia nodded and quickly went over to the knight who was tending to Gwynyffer's wounds.
"Her highness has asked for you to leave sir. She can take it from here." The knight was confused but he bowed to his Princess before briskly walking out. Rosie quickly went over to Gwynyffer and examined the wound before getting right to work. Almost like second nature, Rosie was able to clean, and dress the wound. She could feel herself shaking with anger. Whoever had done this would feel her wrath, no doubt. She would hunt down and find whoever did this and she would personally see to their demise.

redroseknight redroseknight

Gwyn could hear a frantic commotion, But she had figured that it was from the king's men searching for the fool bold enough to strike during the king's tournament. Never did she think that she was going to see Rosie bursting through the tent, angry beyond measure. She watched her dismiss the man that had been tending to her wounds only to being doing so herself.

She winced when the wound was being cleaned, focusing on Rosie's eyes to distract her from the pain. It worked for the most part, though she could feel the princess's hands shaking. Gwyn reached out to place her hand on hers, her gaze searching out Rosie's. She signed her thanks to her, wincing when she had to use her injured arm. "I am all right, your highness." The fact that so much blood was coating the table and splinters were in a bowl next to her kind of went against her assessment. Glancing around quickly, she snagged the parchment and writing utensil used by the medics to write down changes in symptoms. Quickly the knight wrote a message down for her. Are you all right? Receiving injuries was common for Gwyn due to her profession, so she was able to brush aside the concern for herself to focus on the princess she adored. It was doubtful she was used to situations like this. Gwynyffer just wasn't aware that Rosie was shaking from anger on her behalf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back