• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom A roleplay based on The Secret History (Novel)

Baetroclus

Who died for his baechilles
I have gone through the unfortunate experience of having my tab refresh in the middle of my first attempt at writing this. My faith is being tested. The universe has a special set of trials in mind for me. I'm sleepy and I want to cry. Remember to save drafts, folks.

Anyhow, as the title suggests, I want to see if anyone is interested in an Rp based around The Secret History by Donna Tartt. If you've read it you know the premise. Richard Papen gets pulled into committing murder after his best friends committed another during their attempt at a Bacchic cult revival dressed in bedsheets and romping in the woods. Just normal everyday college stuff. The book, I've noticed, is surprisingly slow paced, but I think that helps us see just how much in shock Richard is over the whole thing. And the writing is pretty beautiful, so I thought it would make for a perfect Rp. The kind where you can get lost in the writing and then get excited during the anticipation before you get a response. That's the kind of stuff I live for.

So ideally there would be six of us, for each of the characters (with characters like Julian and Cloke being shared by us all, if they need to be), but I will let whoever chooses to play Bunny have another role too. Because you know...we're going to kill the character. That's the only constant in these Aus. Bunny will die. Unless of course, plot wise, something happens where a different character dies instead! Ooh...that's actually really cool. On that note, I have a couple of plot ideas in mind but really nothing particularly solid, so I'm open to suggestion. Also, I would hope for a three paragraph maximum for these things. Maximum is emphasized. I understand if you can't pump out three every time, but no less than two. Especially not with so much happening. Towards the middle when things pick up I would hope that we can effortlessly write more than three. Hope there are people who are interested!!!! I can't explain how much I want this.

Possible Ideas:

• Flower Children AU: It's the late 60's/early 70's. With the rise of misfortune in politics also comes a revolution which finds its base at a number of liberal arts college campuses. Outcries for peace and loving thy fellow man can be heard amongst the psychedelic rock and the inebriated gatherings around campfires in the dark. Incense, drugs, long hair, the smell of burning bras, every aesthetic that your parents and maybe even your grandparents can remember, no matter how distantly. At one college in particular a small group of classics majors have built a delicate ladder to get to the top of this revolution. The ringleaders in the ordeal, they preach lines from classic novels and small snippets of Greek to stir the people. Little do the students know, they're being manipulated into a revival of the Bacchae on a scale grander than they can imagine. But with the threat of the group's murder hanging over heir head, a murder they committed in a trance not unlike the ones they subject the students to, the position of power they made is so at risk that the lines between wanting to lose themselves and wanting to be powerful are blurred. (I can imagine a power-hungry Henry for this one. Gosh)
  • Dystopian AU: A dystopian society which has tried to erase history however possible. Art, literature, and monuments are all destroyed in a political attempt to make the people less aware of how repetitive the cycle of power and tyranny is. At one high school a boy named Richard finds a copy of a Greek play which should have been banned from the school. He hides it in his room and tries to ignore it, afraid of the paraphernalia he's holding illegally. Finally he gives in to the urge to translate it, and on a drunken night in which he craves a bit of grandeur in his life he posts the translation anonymously in the commons. Not long after a group of students who, like him, have been trying to hide works of history from the authorities reach out and ask him to join them. Here I'd imagine Bunny joined their ranks by blackmailing Henry, who was his roommate, after he caught the poor guy translating some Sanskrit in one of his trances. But of course, knowing him, he doesn't take their efforts as seriously as they wish he would.

Welp, I hope you guys like the idea. Also, a side note, as of 1/3/2015 I have joined this website for two days, but I promise I have been here before. I've used this site and others to Rp for about 6 years now. Just in case that's a concern, which I have noticed it is for some reason.

Hello there again >,...,<

I have never read this book, but the AU's that you have written sound like they would be really fun to play; the Flower Children one especially! I'm totally interested in this. :D

EDIT: I would love to play as an OC, if possible, seeing that I've never read the book/

Last edited by a moderator:
PlaguedWithInsanity said:
Hello there again >,...,<
I have never read this book, but the AU's that you have written sound like they would be really fun to play; the Flower Children one especially! I'm totally interested in this. :D

EDIT: I would love to play as an OC, if possible, seeing that I've never read the book/
Hey friend~

I'll be honest with you, no rest for the wicked was a very low-key way to try and have an Rp based on the Secret History without actually mentioning the novel or its characters.

I'm also pretty packed with school and Rp, but if you like the flower child au then I have an idea. If we get a group together and Rp No Rest for the Wicked and find a good place to end that Rp at some point, then we can reboot it with the same characters using the flower child au.

Hmm, okay. I just thought that a murder based roleplay in the 70's would be fun, seeing as a big majority of roleplays are never in that time period. But, I would prefer to make a different character for this one, one that would be more suited to the time.

*shrugs*

PlaguedWithInsanity said:
Hmm, okay. I just thought that a murder based roleplay in the 70's would be fun, seeing as a big majority of roleplays are never in that time period. But, I would prefer to make a different character for this one, one that would be more suited to the time.
*shrugs*
That makes sense. I think it'll be fun too, but I'm swamped right now. If you started one like that I would definitely join though

Baetroclus said:
That makes sense. I think it'll be fun too, but I'm swamped right now. If you started one like that I would definitely join though
Heh, no. I'm terrible at GMing Dx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back