• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy A MTG (EDH) RP!

Clairikins

Lesbian Extraordinaire
There's a lot to unpack here, so let's get started:
1) This is going to be both a game of Magic the Gathering as well as a RP, specifically a game of Commander.
2) The idea is that your character has been brought into a new world, and the commander deck is filled with their personal experiences, people they've met, and so on.
3) We won't be seeing what everyone plays, so we're going to rely on being able to trust each other.

Each full turn of the game is going to be one in-character day, and I'm considering putting in Archenemy and/or Planechase to add to the setting as well as the drama.

Click here for an example story for what I'm looking for: Team Maim - Team MAIM - Wattpad

If you have any questions about it, just ask below!

Thread of character ideas and whatnot: Fantasy - A temporary Isekai while we fight for our lives.

Last edited:
i would need to know more, and maybe have it explained in detail.
but you could count me as tentatively interested aka. I am interested, just don't know if i understand what it will be exactly and if i could manage to do it.
and yes i will read the story you send soon to try and understand it by myself, but it will be still nice to get more detailed info from you.

So, our characters get trapped in a world and have to fight using a new and strange magic system in order to escape, using their memories and people from their past so they can get out safely.
The plot behind the plot is that we're playing a very slow game of Commander where our decks are based on the characters we play.

Sounds good sign me up.
Albeit i will have to study hard about mtg cards again, so that might take a bit.
But one question how many players do you expect?

I'm expecting 4 total people including myself. If you need some help making a deck for this game, I'm down to help.
Same with anyone else; I can help people with building their decks for this~

I mean i play mtg a lot but usually its DHG or Archenemy, i dont play commander that often though (it gets expensive buying all those cards and the online mtg games arent as good at playing commander. Atleast the ones i played.)

I am a simple shadow, I see “MTG EDH” and I express great interest.

I do have a bunch of questions though, so I apologize if they’re redundant.

How are we going about deck construction? Are we playing planeswalkers from a MTG location or people getting isekai’d into the world? What level of deck are we playing at? I’m a real life scumbag who plays mono blue Urza artifacts, so I imagine not at that 9/10 sort of level, but somewhere above a commander precon level? Enough to tell a story and throw around cool effects, but not so much to “I win” a roleplay, yes?

Could we have an abstract of the story? A curt few sentences?

I’m quite interested to see how this turns out, and more so to make a character and deck (Grixis colors, I think. Or Mardu.)

Edit: How will the first few days go in terms of magic? “Land, go?”

I am a simple shadow, I see “MTG EDH” and I express great interest.

I do have a bunch of questions though, so I apologize if they’re redundant.

How are we going about deck construction? Are we playing planeswalkers from a MTG location or people getting isekai’d into the world? What level of deck are we playing at? I’m a real life scumbag who plays mono blue Urza artifacts, so I imagine not at that 9/10 sort of level, but somewhere above a commander precon level? Enough to tell a story and throw around cool effects, but not so much to “I win” a roleplay, yes?

Could we have an abstract of the story? A curt few sentences?

I’m quite interested to see how this turns out, and more so to make a character and deck (Grixis colors, I think. Or Mardu.)

Edit: How will the first few days go in terms of magic? “Land, go?”
1) We are playing our own characters, but isekai'd into a world- NOT into the mtg worlds, but into a pocket dimension with "all new magic"
2) I'm hoping we can play casual- the decks aren't focused on doing one specific thing, but instead the cards are ALL going to be "things our characters have experienced in their lives" so there will be a number of 'filler' cards among them. In the story I linked, the archenemy has a 'high' power deck and the other decks are just casual.
3) You can skim the story if you want just an idea, but I like the part where the party is in a weird forest and three of them find people of their past and Morrisa finds some abomination and decides to ride on its shoulders.
4) Have the character you want to build around first and make the deck around them, instead of making a deck and trying to force a character in with them.
5) With Planechase there's always something to react to in the world at large, and with Archenemy there are three people on a team together to act together. During the first few days before spells get cast, the characters can try to get used to this changing world they find themselves in.

Ah, these do answer quite a bit, but I have questions for questions.

1) We are playing our own characters, but isekai'd into a world- NOT into the mtg worlds, but into a pocket dimension with "all new magic"
Our characters, are they characters presumably from Earth? Normal people? Or normal people from Zendikar/Ixalan/Ravnica/Faerun/Golarion/Ubersreik/World of Darkness/fantasy setting?

How would cards from past experience manifest? Like, would a nature-loving nerd get elves because of his connection and respect to animals, or due to his childhood memories of running through the trees with his best friend? Or both?

2) I'm hoping we can play casual- the decks aren't focused on doing one specific thing, but instead the cards are ALL going to be "things our characters have experienced in their lives" so there will be a number of 'filler' cards among them. In the story I linked, the archenemy has a 'high' power deck and the other decks are just casual.
Casual, meaning “yes the deck has a theme, but most of the deck list will not be the best/most optimal cards” like a store-bought preconstructed deck? Like a 4 or 5 on the power scale, if you will? Mostly for fun, with a good number of commons and stuff.
4) Have the character you want to build around first and make the deck around them, instead of making a deck and trying to force a character in with them.
Oh, don’t worry. The color combinations in question are tailored to a certain type of character I’d like to play. The ruthless, plotting sort, keeping the party around because they’re useful to have. You’ll be weak and insane if you’re alone, better to surround yourself with others you can probably trust in a strange new world.

1) Our characters are not from the worlds of mtg. They can be fantasy characters (and in fact that makes it more believable that they've seen and experienced certain things), just not from the worlds of mtg specifically.

1a) The cards are a bit more specific. Suppose the character is from Earth: they likely won't have any elves/dwarves/etc because they don't exist (but an argument can be made on a card-by-card basis). I have an archer character who likes the forest and for her deck I have stuff like Bow of Nylea (sure she doesn't know Nylea's bow, but she does know bows) and Fungus creatures (fungus grows on trees, after all) and Saprolings (basically saplings, aka baby trees). As long as the argument can be made that the character would know the thing or know something close enough to the thing, it can be reasonably put into the deck.
I have one character who's a princess and a mage, and her deck is filled with arcane cards and thrones/staves/crowns/wands.

2) Basically, yea. Likely no infinites, no definite "I'm going to do X and I'm going to win" sort of thing, just cards that suit the character, similar to a precon in those respects, yes.

4) Sometimes the cards and the character can influence each other, like an angel-with-a-doll character I have that's Ayesha Tanaka with Stuffy Doll.

Right on. Again, count me as interested when this gets a CS.

yep, my questions were answered via your questions Shadowfall, and the two stories.
so let's just say, Clairikins, when it gets a CS do ping me [since rpnation hates me sometimes, and even if I watch something it doesn't appear in alerts]
and I will appear at my earliest convenience.
And personally, I'm more of a fan of Naya colors aka Red/Green/White. You know the zoo decks.
The character themselves for sure would be from some fantasy world, who just lived in the forest as a warden, keeping the nature healthy and in its cycle, hunting/scaring away poachers. those kinds of stuff. so will probably not be good at talking with other "people".

Last edited:
Oh? Whatcha got in mind?
We also have a thread going for this; I'll put a link in the starting post.

So my idea is a 'puppet' (essentially a Frankenstein creation) who's had his strings cut given back to him his autonomy. I'm thinking he may have no memories but will slowly regain them through time, remembering his promise to his beloved, and her freeing him among other things (budding concept).
More deets. I'm thinking his original universe (before he was isekaied) was one of the Italian renaissance, so quite possibly Leonardo Da Vinci had a hand at developing puppets through his studies, where he kinda discovers the whereabouts of the human soul, and uses that knowledge to develop a tether for the spirit allowing the recently deceased to come back to life. This is eventually exploited to make an evil army (maybe). Mario Nétte (my char) is one such person, who died defending his love but was brought back to life as a 'puppet' but he was freed by having his strings cut, regaining his humanity and his soul.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back