• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fandom A Long-Lasting RWBY RP

Quincunx

inactive
Ever notice how RWBY group RPs tend to have notoriously short life spans? This Interest Check is about collaboratively creating a RWBY group RP that will be fun for a long time.

There are several questions to answer while we're making this RP. Most importantly, what are we going to do? Many RWBY RPs give the players the roles of incoming Beacon students, but considering the many adventures Huntsmen can have in Remnant, is that the route we want to take? We might operate during the events of RWBY's canon, or before or after them, or even in an AU with a similar Remnant, different heroes, and different bad guys. There are a lot of choices we can make.

Depending on what we do, there's also the question of whether we want to have teams. Some scenarios, like being students, would necessitate it. But others, perhaps the aftermath of the Battle of Beacon, wouldn't require it.

Regardless of what we decide this RP is about, I'm expecting 4-12 people. I wouldn't be upset if this garnered more interest, though.

So, what are everyone's ideas?

@Zaxs  @RedLikeRoses  @dragonsfire 

Sorry this is 12 hours late

So I quite literally just came to this site for a RWBY RP, saw this post, and made my account because of this post. I'd love to join ^^ if this ever gets started.

Well hey, you just got a bunch of people (New RPN members scare me...I can't silently judge them :S ) anyway, you know my response, but may as well put it here. Although I don't think we should make this into a roleplay as beacon students. It'll just get lost in the endless amount and dead-plot school Rp's *shivers* so many wasted OC's. I have no opinion on teams, doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as keeping people going, make a plot. Have plot drivers. I briefly looked at a Soul Eater RP that some a crazy number of posts. They had organized their RP into arcs where players would kill a baddy, finish an arc then the GM would make another (not necessarily played by them).

If we go for school, I'd say we aim for senior years and just say that their classes are sporadic and missions are just as common. Think like later year uni students who essentially take on research projects as a part-time job. 
If we want to leave the school setting lets pick a location, add some random world 'issue' (strange grim attacks, maybe) and point out a couple points of interest. This gives people the freedom to be there individually as groups for a similar purpose. (Actually, it might work pretty good if we take students away from the school and say that they are a team or two with a couple teachers on a mission).

Either way, the villains are very important, whether they are constant characters or a couple people run side characters. Maybe both. They should have a coherent plot that they have discussed, even if their characters don't actually work together. Depending on the size of the RP, this might be 2 villains and 1 huntsman aware of the plot who are guiding the others huntsmen/villains.

If we go for school, I'd say we aim for senior years and just say that their classes are sporadic and missions are just as common. Think like later year uni students who essentially take on research projects as a part-time job. 
If we want to leave the school setting lets pick a location, add some random world 'issue' (strange grim attacks, maybe) and point out a couple points of interest. This gives people the freedom to be there individually as groups for a similar purpose. (Actually, it might work pretty good if we take students away from the school and say that they are a team or two with a couple teachers on a mission).

This, to be honest, is probably the best way of doing it, and what I thought of a few minutes before reading this. A bit of time in Beacon to get to know everyone in your team, and everyone else in the RP, then we can do some missions for action, then get into a bigger arc?

Hey guys! I didn't get any notifications for this thread for some reason, but all this activity is really, really encouraging! Thank you! Just letting you know I'm there. I'll read everything after I come back from my appointment.

@Mossino  @Metalgeardude  @CrystalYoshi  @Shiro kurogane  @dragonsfire  @SP3CT3R  @squirrel101  @Ironrot  @Servant

Welcome aboard!

Judging from the comments here, I think we're leaning towards being seniors at Shade (Beacon's been done to death; Atlas and Mistral/Haven will likely be covered soon in RWBY, and I'd be quite embarrassed if my interpretations were jossed by the show). I like the freedom of movement and variety of settings provided by missions. What I'd like to do is get the teams together on a few missions in places close by - so people can keep with their own team, but unite if it seems like a good idea.

The biggest challenge will be making an overarching mission that leads to 2-3 separate climaxes. (Trying to RP 8-12 people taking down a single enemy? No thank you.)

I also like Iron's idea of the plot arcs that the Soul Eater RP used, and I think that'd be a good idea to incorporate somehow.

Finally, here are two things I'd like to tell everyone before we really get going:

• There's 10 of us right now, which may mean using a teamless structure, asking people to play multiple characters, rounding up more people, or possibly saying "no" to some of you. I don't want to reject anyone, but please be aware that the CS will include a short writing sample, and if I don't like yours, I reserve the right not to let you in.
  • About that writing sample - please don't let it scare you away! It's basically writing a post before your character actually interacts with anyone, so you can say something about your character while I look at how you write. I'm not very strict, and if you can write a few paragraphs of meat, I don't know what I wouldn't like.

@Zaxs  @RedLikeRoses

Would totally like to have you on board too, although I understand if time or interest doesn't permit.

....Finally, here are two things I'd like to tell everyone before we really get going:

• There's 10 of us right now, which may mean using a teamless structure, asking people to play multiple characters, rounding up more people, or possibly saying "no" to some of you. I don't want to reject anyone, but please be aware that the CS will include a short writing sample, and if I don't like yours, I reserve the right not to let you in.
  • About that writing sample - please don't let it scare you away! It's basically writing a post before your character actually interacts with anyone, so you can say something about your character while I look at how you write. I'm not very strict, and if you can write a few paragraphs of meat, I don't know what I wouldn't like.

Alright, I already have my character in the works, is it okay if I get that writing sample to you tomorrow night-ish? I need to finish some of the history and stuff around my character.

Alright, I already have my character in the works, is it okay if I get that writing sample to you tomorrow night-ish? I need to finish some of the history and stuff around my character.

I'm actually talking to someone right now to see whether the current prompt is a good idea. After we've decided that, though, I'm going to get the thread up, and you'll be able to submit a character with the sample as part of your CS whenever you're ready. (I hope I wasn't giving the impression that things should be set up as quickly as possible; that's not what I meant at all.)

Oh I see, that makes a lot more sense, sorry, I'm just fretting a bit, my mistake. Thanks for the clarification though. Again, thanks for getting this organized, ^^. @Mollisol

I mean... Depends on the flavor... And where you buy it, the packaging, the amount and how much it was... But overall yes, you are sweet. Oh and hardy har-har.

@Mossino  @Metalgeardude  @CrystalYoshi  @Shiro kurogane  @dragonsfire  @SP3CT3R  @squirrel101  @Ironrot  @Servant

Welcome aboard!

Judging from the comments here, I think we're leaning towards being seniors at Shade (Beacon's been done to death; Atlas and Mistral/Haven will likely be covered soon in RWBY, and I'd be quite embarrassed if my interpretations were jossed by the show). I like the freedom of movement and variety of settings provided by missions. What I'd like to do is get the teams together on a few missions in places close by - so people can keep with their own team, but unite if it seems like a good idea.

The biggest challenge will be making an overarching mission that leads to 2-3 separate climaxes. (Trying to RP 8-12 people taking down a single enemy? No thank you.)

I also like Iron's idea of the plot arcs that the Soul Eater RP used, and I think that'd be a good idea to incorporate somehow.

Finally, here are two things I'd like to tell everyone before we really get going:

@Zaxs  @RedLikeRoses

Would totally like to have you on board too, although I understand if time or interest doesn't permit.

Uh... I was on board from the beginning? Or maybe not... So many people. O.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back