A Kingdom Interrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaze was surprised by the sudden appearance of wolves around their camp site, but he was quick to act, hoping to keep his traveling companions safe on their journey. He dashed forward, swinging his staff at the small animals nipping at Rabert's heels. He felt the wood smack against the creature and followed up by kicking it away.

This, as it turns out, was not a great move. The bushes behind Blaze shook and parted, revealing a massive beast that saw what Blaze had done and lunged for him. The Tabaxi was just able to keep his footing and prepared himself for a prolonged mauling, but suddenly the beast appeared to be fighting something else that Blaze could not see. He received help from someone he didn't recognise, but wasn't terribly concerned at the time because he was still worried about getting eaten. The beast appeared to try to take off, and Blaze caught it at the base of the neck with a final smack of his quarterstaff, ending its pain with one final blow.

"Quiet the friendly creatures you have here on the mainland," the winded Tabaxi mused out loud. He noticed that his traveling tunic was ripped and covered in blood, but for some reason it didn't occur to him that it was his own. He walked slowly back to the fire, sitting down on a log. As the adrenaline faded, he finally noticed how much pain he was in and he quietly muttered, "Shit..."

Varnis was quick to act when wolves set upon them, he jumped from the camp and ran to the nearby fallen tree where he helped fight off a pup, launching a bolt into it, he quickly helped dispatch it and then trained his sights on a wolf that had just entered the clearing, he watched it for a moment, analyzing as it ran across the clearing and took note of the right time to fire a bolt into its hide, he took two shots off on it before seeing the trouble Blaze was having with what looked to be the pack leader, he took great care in not hitting blaze, once he saw it turn to run, he began to check on everyone else, and seeing Rabert pinned, he knew he had to act. He took a final shoot, seeing it as enough to make the wolf turn and run before slumping down on the log, his adrenaline gone, and the nerves making him tired despite his distance from the actual fighting

As the wolves appeared from the grass Rabert was ready.
Shifting his feet as the first one lunged at him, he dodged to the side.

The quick arrival of Blaze was welcome.
Rabert felled one wolf with a quick slash in the flank. Seeing the one had been dealt with, he ran towards the wolf harassing Jurren.

As he ran, he heard a snarl and saw the huge wolf appear next to blaze. "holy shit"

When be got to the wolf, he managed a couple of heavy swings. The wolf fried to run but he lunged and finished it off.

Spinning to find a new target, he saw none to attack.

Sheathing his blade he checked himself for wounds. Nothing.

"Guys, that was my bad. I should have been more careful.
Is everyone ok?"

The growling interrupts Glinn's concentration, he quickly gets up to try to discern its source and notices the wolf standing in front of Rabert. He gets his wand and a reddish-purple bolt of energy launches through the field hitting the beast. He smiles in this moment of victory, just before more wolves get out of the tall grass and surround them.

One of the new threats was bigger than most, taking all of Glinn's attention. With a quick swirl of his wand the creature yelps in pain, his mind shaken after the psychic blast that the elf sent his way. This time, he couldn't even smile before a wolf jumps to attack him, despite Jurren's efforts to keep it at bay. The wolf throws him to the ground, his maw piercing through the nobleman's armor and flesh.

He tries to see the state of the battlefield from the ground, but the tall grass covers most of his field of vision. He knows he needs to take those beasts out of himself and his friend, he looks up and screams in celestial "No!" Light erupts from him, burning the animals with its intensity. He gets up, and sees the surviving wolves running away and two new people in standing in the camp, just frowning and looking to Jurren before getting back to his ritual.

Tilly glanced up from where he had been knitting up a hole in one of his socks as he heard the familiar howls. He stood and quickly moved to his companion's side, chanting in the unknown language that had been taught to him many years ago as he outstretched his arm. A shimmer of light cascaded down on the wolves, and Tilly smiled to himself for a moment before being struck from behind by a wolf, knocking him to the ground and shaking him from his concentration. Without thinking, Tilly's form grew and expanded a dozen times his normal size, until finally a large brown bear was in his place. He roared and slashed at the wolf, carving it to pieces with one swing before looking around to see where his help was needed. He soon discovered it wasn't. He glanced down at his current form as he straightened up on his hindquarters, and looked around, wondering who was going to address the bear in the room. Well. This might be requiring some explanation.

Aranith narrows her eyes at the sound of the distant howls, gripping her reins a bit more tightly. "Probably nothing, better to stay on the path," she notes in Infernal to her riding partner, until they crest the hill and see what appears to be a chaotic battle between a pack of wolves and a group of merchants near their carts. Raising an eyebrow, she sighs as she watches Alveron rush into action excited at the prospect of battle. "Fine, fine," she mumbles back, pulling out her longsword while she charges forward on her warhorse towards the largest alpha wolf. Gripping the weapon tightly she concentrates and wills the blade to glow hot with searing flame, slashing deep into the beast and causing it to catch flame. She prepares to take another strike when the wolf suddenly takes off in fear, before being taken down by the cat-like person nearby.

Hearing the sounds of battle die down and watching as the bloodied tabaxi sits down weakly at the fire, she confidently strides over and lays a hand on one of his larger wounds, muttering a soft mantra in Infernal as healing energy flowed out healing the wounds entirely. "You are alright, yes? Vhat has taken place here?" She looks around glancing at the strange ragtag group that were almost certainly more than just mere merchants. "This is quite the interesting group, I now realize."

Riding across distance with Aranith, Alveron hadn't found the tiefling to be much for conversation, but that was fine. It gave Alveron lots of time to practice on their dulcimer, giving the pair a gentle tune as their horses clopped along the route.

Unable to see in the dim lighting, it was hard to ignore the jolt of reaction from the horse as it heard the howl as well. Glancing at Aranith she nodded, but seeing the fight below Alveron couldn't resist a grin -- what better way to make allies than saving someone's life? Seeing the largest wolf, she strummed the dulcimer still across her lap, watching the beast flinch and snap at an imaginary foe -- a present from home. Glancing back at Aranith she replied in Infernal, "And here we thought it'd be a boring trip! Care for some exercise?" Her words seemed to carry more weight as they flowed through the air, following the tiefling as she rode to the front line.

Staying back, Alveron put the Dulcimer to the side, drawing their crossbow instead, looking across the field and trying to tell which was the easiest mark for ultimate gratitude, she focused in on a wolf currently bearing down on ... an elf? Though much paler than the ones Alveron was used to dealing with, she pulled the trigger at the wolf, her gaze focused more on the wolf than the bolt, waiting for the moment of impact to deal not just physical but mental damage to the creature as well.

Seeing the rest of the wolves flee, she continued to ride down into what she assumed was a camp, smiling all the while as she played her dulcimer on approach. Looking over the strange party her smile didn't flicker, yet while her traveling companion aided one she nodded and dismounted, approaching the elf she'd saved from the wolf, placing a hand on his shoulder as she strummed her dulcimer with the other, a wave of healing sweeping through him as most of his wounds sealed.

Stepping back slightly Alveron nodded, eyes lingering on the bear, her speaking less clipped than Aranith, "Truly -- I did not recall a bear when we originally saw the mighty battle. I'm sure you could have managed well enough on your own but," she stepped over to the wolf that had a crossbow bolt sticking out of its head and pulled it out with a grunt, "... it would be rude not to aid fellow travelers, yes?" She smiled as she bowed, dulcimer hanging on its strap on one hip and a bloodied crossbow bolt in her other hand. Spinning the bolt between her fingers she continued, "Is anyone else injured? I can still aid a few more times and," her gaze returned to the bear, "... should we be concerned about that?"

Blaze feels the slight warmth as his wounds close. "Thank you, Miss. You saved my life," he looks down at the completely closed wound, "twice over, it would appear." He grasped his tunic, staring intently at it and shakes his head in frusteration. "Do you know how hard it is to get blood out of Flawless Isle Silk?" he asks, looking directly at the tiefling who had appeared only minutes before. He quickly chuckles, "Not hard at all, I wouldn't use materials that stained that easily!"

Blaze pulls out some tools and begins sewing up the rip quickly, it then occurs to him that he hadn't introduced himself. "Oh, I'm terribly sorry, in all the wolf fighting madness, I neglected to ask the name of my savior. I am Blaze in the Darkness. Who, may I ask, are you?" he asks the tiefling as his eyes wander for a moment. "Why is there a bear?" he asked out loud to the entire group, dumbfounded.

Last edited:
The bear's eyes narrowed at the approaching pair, and scrutinized them as the woman spoke. She wants something, but I am not sure what. Someone to keep an eye on, certainly, but I doubt she is any threat for the moment. At Blaze's question, he stared at the tabaxi before bowing and responding in his head. "Pardon me, Sir, but I have not been entirely forthcoming with you all. I am afraid that I have something that I must confess."

The large bear's form shifted and shrank until finally the well dressed halfling stood in its place, dusting off his suit before speaking aloud to the group. "I have certain talents for which I was particularly chosen to serve on this mission. I do apologize for the scare, but if I am to be perfectly honest, no one had ever asked." He smiled politely before turning to the newcomers and bowing. "I am afraid my manners have been most savage. Tilly, at your service, madams. You have my utmost gratitude for your assistance."

Tilly's gaze fell upon Glinn and he frowned at seeing the wound. "Restore." He spoke in a strange tongue, and the remaining injuries on the elf sealed up. "There you are, sir. I would ask that you speak with Blaze about making repairs to your garb. It would not at all so for a young master such as yourself to be seen in such a state. After all, we do have some rather lovely company about." He looked back to the two newcomers and smiled. "Would either of you care for a cup of tea? I find that it is so refreshing after a good scrape."

Jurren straightened looked over the two women briefly before moving to his pack wiping his bloodied sword with a rag he pulled from it. Setting away his blade he returned to the group clapping Glinn on the shoulder hard. ”Good show Glinn, got your big boy powers I see.” Jurren laughed with a smile to his friend. Shaking the man gently before making his way to the newcomers. Placing his hand over his heart he bows deeply. “A pleasure to fight with you,” he eyed the other Paladin with interest he did not recognize her emblem but she was definitely empire trained. “I am Jurren Fenwarren Knight of Eagle Crest, I do hope there is something we can do to thankyou for your intervention.”

~Atmosphere~

Breakfast now burning over the fire, the attack having distracted those cooking from tending the meal in time. The sausages shriveled and blackened to char along with the eggs stuck to the bottom of the iron pan. The horses whinnies and pawed their hooves slow to calm with the danger passed. Luckily none had been injured in the fight.

The late morning calmed once again the cool breeze from the mountains sweeping over the grasses continuing to make peaceful waves across the pains far as the eye could sea.

Post battle the group settles back into their rest. Even more bruised and exhausted as the adrenaline fades.

Last edited:
Rabert sat and stared at the new comers and the rest of his group.

He had seen magic before, but not in combat. The ease of its use and it's devastating effects where some what of a shock to him. And now one of them could turn into a Bear apparently.

He looked down at the rapier on his hip. Feeling wholly out of place.... "What have I got myself into? I'm just an idiot with a pointy stick compared to these people"

Taking a deep breath he looked again at the group taking in the new comers. "Well, at least the scenery is improving"

Last edited:
Aranith nods at Blaze, looking him up and down curiously once the wounds had sealed fully. "It is my pleasure to help someone in danger. I have not heard of this silk, but if it stains easily then it does not seem to be as flawless as its name vould imply." She rises up, only now thinking to shake the blood off of her sword before looking around to the rest of the group. She takes a deep bow in response to Jurren, making a similar salute across the chest. "Aranith Damofraes, royal guard of Kartha. And my traveling companion," she notes, glancing over to Alveron. "It is most fortunate that we were in the area to assist vith your predicament, though it surprises me that such... excitement? Vould take place on one of the more populated routes."

She frowns, wishing that she had better words to express the direness of the situation. Looking over to the strange halfling she sheathes her weapon and, after considering it for a second, nods slowly. "A cup of tea is tempting, sir 'Tilly'. I assume it is but one of your many talents."

Alveron watched the bear return to a halfling form with interest, a hand idly on her dulcimer. At the offer of tea she smiled again, "That sounds glorious, after so long of the road with only water!" Leading her horse over with her she moved to stand closer to the group, "Though I must confess, I'm unsure how good it can be after a fight, for rarely am I involved in such -- or if I am, merely the background music for the brutality."

She lifted a hand to follow some unheard melody, "You'd be surprised how often a brawl can align to music, the blows crescendos, and the hesitancy a subtle pause ..." her hand continued a little further as if conducting an orchestra before lowering with a smile. "I am Lorelai Nerelieu, Musical Graduate of the Thesseria Imperium School of Fine Arts in Kartha, but those I consider friends may refer to me more simply as Lorelai."

Running a finger along the strings of her dulcimer she nodded, "As Aranith said, for such a popular route, the idea of wolves attacking, especially such a large group is ... interesting and concerning." Patting the neck of her horse Alveron added, "We appear to be crossing paths however, do you know if further ahead is the same?"

Rabert listened to the new comers as they introduced themselves before standing.

"Well, as we are doing introductions, my name is Rabert. It's a pleasure to meet you both" He bows slightly with a hand on his chest. "We certainly appreciate the assistance you have rendered"

Addressing Lorelai "Miss Nerelieu, you do yourself a disservice. I am sure with your credentials, your musical talents would be welcome on any occasion." He shoots a warm smile in her direction.

"Miss Damofraes, I fear the cause of the commotion was my fault. In stretching my legs and enjoying a stroll through the long grass, I got distracted and stepped on a pup. The Wolves were simply responding to what they saw as a threat. It is a mistake I intend to learn from. Unfortunately Blaze took the brunt of my misstep. As to the path ahead, who can tell? There is safety in numbers however."

Glinn tries to remain focused on the casting but gives up as the woman touches him to close his wounds a little. He looks down at the mess that used to be his perfectly groomed appearance and just shakes his head and sighs. "Blaze, I think you have a lot of repairs to in these clothes, but for now," he picks up the wand and makes his current clothes seemingly intact and his eyes one of them golden and the other green. "Much better!" While he admires his own appearance, he projects into the halfling's mind "Wow, Tilly. I knew there was a good reason for Gregor to keep you around, magic and shapeshifting seem like much more believable reasons than your charming personality."

The elf gets up, as a purple hand grabs the tome and places it in his bag, and turns to the newcomers. "I'm Galinndan Mystralath, it's nice to make your acquaintances. It was really brave of both of you to step in and fight the wolves, although I can assure you we had the situation under control." He looks to the now burned breakfast and frowns. "I think it's wise to start brewing that tea, Tilly. It's gonna be a long morning..." He absent-mindedly makes the flames swirl and change color to a more pleasant orange.

Tilly bowed again to both of the newcomers and walked over to the fire, producing a small flame in his palms that he used to rekindle the remnants. Glancing back over his shoulders as he heard Lorelai speak. "Ah, so that instrument is not just for show then? I see that charisma is not the only trait we share, Lady Nerelieu." He glanced back at Glinn and stared at him, sending him a quick telepathic response. "For those abilities, as well as my seemingly endless tolerance for your poppycock, sir." Smiling back to Lorelai he continued as he pulled a halfling sized carved wooden lute from his bag and laid it carefully on the ground. "I possess talents with the lute myself, but I can assure you that my talents would not compare to that of a graduate of any esteemed musical university. Perhaps we can play together some time?"

Tilly turned back to the fire he was tending as he prepared the tea, pulling out a set of tea cups from his bag and placing them on a tray. As he steeped the tea, he glanced back over to each of his companions and sent them each a brief telepathic message. "No need to be alarmed, sir, but a friendly reminder to recall who it is that we have been at war with. These fine ladies seem friendly enough, but do use some discretion on our mission."

Finishing the tea, he smiled to everyone. "How would you all take it? Master Galinndan, is it three or four lumps? I can never quite remember."

Nodding towards Rabert at his compliment she replied to Tilly, smiling, "I confess I have a bit of a sweet tooth. If you have any sugar it'd be appreciated, though I expect if you truly are a master of tea brewing it should not require anything." She strummed the dulcimer again, "This instrument is far from merely for show -- perhaps before we split ways we could give a combined show, hm? One must always encourage novices in the arts."

She watched Blaze work for a few moments while Tilly continued, her gaze sweeping over the others -- some she recognized their given titles and names, relations ... definitely an interesting and court-tangled group to be on the road. Her gaze returned to Glinn as she smirked, "Oh, I'm sure you could have handled it just fine, we merely ... sped it up, I suppose. If the fight was still going, I believe your breakfast would have ended up even more burned."

"Four lumps, Tilly." Glinn smiles as he gets the tea, ignoring the psychic message. "Now, you two definitely are not from Aleveria. Why have you wander so far from home? It's certainly not the safest of times to travel around." He sips his tea and smiles to the two women at the camp as he waves his wand to the grass, making a footlong ladybug appear by his feet.

Rabert tried to to not look at Tilly when the psychic message came through.

He thought hard in Tilly's direction "Wait, can you read my thoughts??" He tried to keep his mind blank, but all he could think about was things he shouldn't "Ok we are going to need to talk... I have thoughts, they aren't always things I'm proud of, but lets keep that between us ok?" He glanced to Lorelai and Aranith then quickly looked away in case Tilly was still reading his mind. "This isn't going to be awkward at all..."

Rabert finally looked in Tilly's direction to see if there was any tell that he had heard his thoughts. Moving on to safer things. "Tea sounds like an excellent idea. I'll just take it as it comes please."

Last edited:
Lorelai's eyes widened at the suddenly larger bug, before catching Rabert's gaze for a second and smiled, deciding to sit next to the younger man, her horses' reins still in her hand as it followed behind. She nodded towards Glinn, "What gave it away, the accents?" Smiling, "I try to remove mine -- less risk of it affecting my singing, you know?"

Adjusting her seating position, "We thought it would be interesting to visit the capital of Aleveria. Perhaps if peace is achieved, we can be some of the first to speak with people there. Maybe even be the first line of contact between citizens here and those of the Empire, yes? Attempt to block the rumours of say, stealing children, or somesuch before it gets too far." Lorelai smirked, "It is amazing how easily people can take a falsehood as truth."

Tilly nodded and smiled as he prepared everyone's tea to order, although he noticed Rabert seemingly having some sort of intestinal distress. My word... perhaps I should have prepared herbal rather than breakfast... Shrugging, he passed out the cups to everyone, chuckling at Lorelai's question. "I must admit, your companion's rather lovely horns did make it fairly clear. Still, such claims of child theft must make one wonder... Would I be finding myself at risk in such company?" He chuckled before looking at her more curiously. "Might I inquire what interest the Crown might have in such an endeavor that they would send a member of the royal guard as escort? Or is this purely a trip for pleasure?"

Chuckling along with Tilly, Lorelai met his gaze, "Oh no, I doubt anyone would wish to try and deal with someone who takes the form of beasts." Nodding her head as she accepted the tea, "If you do it right, every trip can be for pleasure," she took a sip before continuing simply, "We are envoys for the Empire. Aranith is both company and protection on our journey."

She smiled, watching for reactions. "So far we can report that those over here offer breakfast and tea, which is a good start."

"I vill take the tea however is customary for your people, thank you," Aranith responds plainly, glancing over just to make sure her horse hadn't wandered off yet. "It has not been long that I have been graced vith this title of 'royal guard', though I have been a faithful member of the Empire all my life."

Accepting the tea and taking a small sip she adds, "There are many other knights who are far more capable of protecting the royal court itself, so I am proud to take on this mission of escorting one of our own into a foreign land. It is not often that talks of peace are had," she notes, nodding slowly. "Alongside our duty to present ourselves as a diplomatic presence, it vould only make sense to establish a good first impression vith citizens of our future allies."

Glinn drinks his tea while looking over Lorelai. He puts the cup down and makes a different motion with his wand and mutters different words, now the ground where the insect once stood is vibrating slightly, not breaking eye contact with the denizen of the empire. "It would be a very short report." He chuckles and takes another sip of tea, projecting to Tilly's mind. "If they don't start being a little more forthcoming, I might need to take this interrogation a step further." He turns to the tiefling, the smile not leaving his expression. "And what a great first impression! Helping those in need is such a good gesture."

He finishes his tea and moves his wand again, the campfire extends towards it while creating a little ball of flames spinning on the tip of his wand. "You wanna try something else before I do my thing Tilly?" The elf projects his thoughts as he watches the small fiery globe spin around.

Varnis had sat quietly at the camp, deep in contemplation thinking over the events of the past few nights. He looked up and noticed that a conversation had been going on without him. "Sounds like an exciting adventure, it isn't every day you get to visit a foreign land" the wood elf chuckled "I move around quite a bit myself but very rarely do I get to do it in such great company" he reached into his many-pocketed jacket and produced a pipe from one of the inside pockets, he put something into it and began smoking it, taking a drag every thirty or so seconds. "A diplomatic force of two visiting the capital, that does sound quite fun, bring any gift baskets for the lords up there? I kid of course, but usually there is some kind of offering, in my experience at least"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread