A Kingdom Interrupted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rabert couldn't help but notice Lorelai moving next to him. Odd, but not unwelcome.

"Diplomatic envoys? Forgive me, for I have little head for politics, leave that to my father and brothers. You seek an alliance? I must say, I much prefer peace to war. I'd love to hear more about your mission. Should you be able to divulge of course. I'd hate to put you in a compromising position." He slowly sipped his tea before flashing a winning smile at the new comers "Well, not too much of one at least without a drink first."

Swirling the tea cup in his hands he added "I'd love to hear tales of your land. Not the rumours and fear mongering some may prattle on about though. I am sadly not as well travelled as I'd like yet, but I am curious."

Last edited:
"The Empire is very nice, ve try our best to keep our cities prosperous and our people happy -- much as I expect your people do as well. Unfortunately ve do not have offerings with us, it is important to travel light especially when you are foreign soil. I am aware that my appearance vould intimidate many who are not familiar," Aranith notes, with the slightest hint of disappointment. She seems unamused at the continued social niceties, something that she preferred to minimize exposure to unless absolutely necessary.

After a moment she looks over to Alveron, shrugs, and looks back to the group. "Apologies if ve are not prone to being forthcoming, ve did not expect to be experience such an encounter once we had made landfall. It vould be reasonable for a foreigner to prefer not to attract too much attention simply due to being foreign, no?"

"That being said... perhaps it vas fate that our parties ran into each other." She looks over each person, glancing to Glinn and Jurren specifically. "You titled yourself Mystralath and Fenwarren, did you not?" She bows slightly again at the acknowledgment of their names. "It may interest you to know that ve have been summoned at the request of the high council, as a preliminary precaution towards talks of peace. I am sure most of Alevaria's people are upstanding and good-hearted, but it vould be foolish of us to send our finest, the seat of our power, vithout proper preparation and forwarning information about vhat to expect at this 'announcement celebration'."

She tilts her head curiously. "I hope that is a sufficient explanation, I vould perhaps have more to hide had we uncovered some business worth hiding. But alas, your group has been the only excitement we have had on our travels so far." She sits down slowly, taking a sip of her tea before it went cold. "Though... I vould perhaps claim that your group appears to be more interesting than our own. Two councilmembers or council-adjacents, then sir 'Rabert' here has mentioned politics in his family, and the name of 'Blaze in the Darkness' is also one that I have heard circulate vithin the court social circles. Not to mention the... not-quite-a-bear." she adds, discreetly curious on that affront. "I vould ask your business as well, as you have asked ours."

"It seems we are on similar paths." Looking back to his group "Forgive me if I speak out of turn sirs, but we are on a mission of goodwill to the Empire. And it seems here we have a chance to start that with subjects of that Empire."

Rabert took a sip of his tea, composing his thoughts.
"Now personally I try to not stick my neck out, but I'm here and have been given a task." Standing and facing the two travellers "Our King has asked us to give our regards to your Empress. We have some gifts and a message to deliver. I can only speak for myself and say I have no experience far from home. The Empire is mostly a mystery to me other than the stories my mentor shared. Having locals would make our mission easier and faster." Looking uncomfortable he paced
"I know you have your own task to complete, and I would hate to take you away from that. But it it could be said that assisting us can complete your task and then some. Think of all the good will on both our sides that can be gained from this?"

Looking nervously at his original comrades, he sat back down.
" So why not travel with us? Besides, I know I'd appreciate the extra company"

Last edited:
Blaze pulled more fabric from his bag and began working on something with the firs and skin he had collected from the wolves. He barely paid attention to the conversations going on, though he did pick up on his traveling companions' desure to have these women join them on their journey.

"It would seem that we could use some more assistance on our way to dress the empress. If the roads are this dangerous, I wouldn't want to travel them without my savior." As he speaks, he walks over the the tiefling to bow at her again. There is a pause where he should reasonably be saying her name, but in reality, he had never listened hard enough to hear it. "I would be honored If you two would accompany us to your lovely kingdom."

Lorelai took another sip of her tea as she listened to the conversation while she thought. Her eyes focused on Aranith after Blaze finished his own small speech.

She smiled to the group, "Apologies, but I feel we may need to discuss this before we merely take the offer so graciously placed before us. You're all pleasant ... and perhaps make a point, but I would not wish to speak for Aranith nor I doubt she speak for I."

Reaching to her dulcimer, she pulled out a spare strip of metal wire, allowing the group to see it, "I cannot guess what tongues the group knows, and I prefer we have some privacy. I'm sure you're all gentlemen, but our task is not a simple one either." Wrapping the wire around her finger she moved to sip her tea again, the hand holding the small plate underneath the cup with a finger angled towards Aranith, even through the magical whisper speaking in Infernal, "Don't let them see your mouth in case any can read lips -- but what do you think of them. We were told to try and learn what we could before anything moved ahead, yet there's a fair amount of movers and shakers within this group -- and they might be more valuable for anything we'd need to know, especially since they seem a bit eager to have some feminine company."

Aranith finishes and sets down her tea as she listens to Lorelai, then rubs her chin to cover her mouth as she thinks of a response. "Well, the letter was merely a way to allow us to poke around without too much friction. It could be smart to keep an eye on them and advantageous to get on their good side, keeping our other options in the back pocket. Perhaps send a courier apologizing for our absence when we reach Port Denarties, I don't think they were excited to receive us anyway."

Listening to Aranith Lorelai gave a slight nod before repeating her motion with the tea again, "Definitely a courier. Let's see where this road leads then!" Finishing the rest of her cup she set it down gently in her lap, removing the small copper strip from her finger and tucking it back into the side of the dulcimer.

"I believe we've come to an agreement, I appreciate your patience." She ran a hand across the instrument's strings, smiling at the group. "If you'll have us, we'll graciously accept your invitation. It would be a pleasure to show such interesting people the truth of the Empire, and hopefully we can learn of Aleveria from you in turn."

After a quick spot of tea and some breakfast the group gathers up their things pressing onwards with two lovely ladies of the empire in tow. The rest of their journey was rather quiet passing caravans and merchant wagons heading towards the capitol. The group continues on into the wee hours of the setting sun bringing the travelers to a small market town.

A quaint little square marked by a rather large lodging hall. The women from the empire recognize this place as the Traveler’s Respite having only just parted from the vicinity earlier this morning.

The sun was growing low and the farmers trade market closing as the glow of candle light in the homes flickered on. A man in a gray cap and shabby tunic looked up from his wares giving you a curious glance as you proceeded towards the stable house before going back to his work. Most those within the square still like the man were no more nosey than a passing glance or look of curiosity.

A stable hand comes out to greet you her hand stretched out. “5 copper a horse and a silver for the cart.” She called out with a bright grin. She was young and missing a tooth that gave her voice a slight whistle. Freckles face a little dirt smeared from a hard days work.

Last edited:
Lorelai couldn't help but smirk on seeing the same place she'd left that same morning. Out of habit her eyes flickered over the different people that passed by, only truly focusing once she heard the young girl. Dismounting from her horse, and slightly sore from all the riding, she smiled towards the girl handing her a silver instead. "Some for my horse, and some for you, yes? Such a hard worker. Has your day been pleasant?"

The girl looked up at Lorelai, “Thankyou miss!” She pocketed the coin excitedly before returning her attention. Slowly recognition dawned on her. “It has been a busy day, the Tavern is pretty full with those on the way to the Keep. You were here this morning though?!” She chuckled brushing the horses nose pulling a small chunk of something from her other pocket to feed it. “You are back so soon and with many more people.” Looking around she seems determined to find something and in spotting the dark tiefling she gets a little more excited. “You have two knights with you this time. You must be very important!” She then takes the reigns, “I’m going to be a knight one day yes I am.” She says it more to the horse in hushed tone.

Jurren chuckled and dismounted as he watched the interaction with the Empire woman. Children had no fear did they. Taking hold of Glinn’s mount’s halter he steadied it for the man to come down. “A nice hot meal and relatively clean bed will be good for all of us. We continue to Fenhold in the morning.” He said it loud enough for their whole group to hear.

Rabert hoped off of the cart and stretched.

Reaching into his coin purse he pulled out 6 silver pieces "For the remaining horses and the cart. What ever is left you can put towards your dreams of being a Knight. You are braver than I. And clearly better with horses!." He gave the girl the coins.

Nodding towards Jurren he continued "Yes, food and bed sounds good! But lets not forget a small glass of wine or some Ale."

Looking back towards the stable girl "What's your name? Mines Rabert. Also, we aren't all that important. We just like to look our best."

"So, ladies, we will follow your lead. I just hope you lead me to some food, ale and then bed!" He said, smiling at the two from the Empire

Glinn hops off the cart and nods as Rabert speaks. "Yes, food would be great. I need to do a little side errand today, but I might follow you guys inside first. Maybe the Innkeeper can point me somewhere more specific."

Looking over her shoulder at the others she nodded at the girl's comment, smiling, "That or I have a captive audience, hm?" She strummed her dulcimer again. Patting the nose of her horse she continued, "I wish you well on your goal then, perhaps when I come through here again you'll be wearing armor and swinging a sword?"

Pulling some of her gear from the saddlebags, Lorelai answered Rabert, "The tavern here isn't too bad. Seemed more keen to keep up a reputation than turn away lodgers," she chuckled, "even those not considered the most favorable to house." Hefting her items she looked towards Glinn, "We wandered around here for a little bit, perhaps even I could help with your errand?"

The stable hand giggled at Lorelei, then looked to Rabert as he also spoke. Receiving the coin she blushed. “Mm my name is Cerna,” she bobs her head. “Thank you M’lord, I will take good care of the beasties.” Pocketing her coin she drew out more treats this time feeding them to the ponies and their horses. They all seemed to be drawn towards the small girl.

Jurren aided Cerna leading them into the barn. Handing them off to a few other stable hands within. An older boy with similar features to Cerna offers to take the cart off Blaze’s paws. As the boy climbs up into the cart a burst of laughter and music emminates from the inne following the exit of a few heavy leaning patrons.

The Travelers Respite is filled with golden light, a clean establishment with thick wood plank floors two large hearths and several tables smattered about. The long bar tended by two brightly dressed elves stretched along the far wall. The place was reasonably full with guests and locals alike several more patrons entering along with the party.

Glinn stops just outside the bar and mutters a few arcane words while moving his wand in a circular pattern, then he makes his way inside. Once inside, he walks up to the bar and lean forward speaking to the elves behind it. "Hey, we just got here and we need to buy some supplies. Do you know where we can find some?" If one of the elves stops to answer him, he'll lower his tone. "You know if there are any places around here that we can find rare and unusual stuff, to be more precise?"

The female barkeep or at least you think she is with slightly more feminine features than her counterpart needless to say she is dressed in purple. She stops to listen leaning on the bar cheery grin on her face. ‘Well look at this lordly son of a, and look who he is with.’ she looks Glinn over once before waving to the others to approach.

There is all sorts of interesting trade going about during the day, but I fear the shops may be closing up, if ye be staying the night There will be lots open in the early morn glad to sell and buy.” Clapping her hands on the counter. “What will you have?!” She ignores Glinn’s second question at first, but she answers near immediately within her mind. ‘I could tell him about the night market, but he is with a knight from the capitol, some sort of trick..maybe, those two empire women from last night too. Very strange.’ “I’m sorry so didn’t catch your second question dear..”

Rabert enters the Inn and looks around. Taking in the atmosphere for a moment before saying "I think drinks are in order. Who's joining me?"

Without waiting for a response, he heads straight for the bar.

Blaze steps into the bar, his hands still busy with a bit of wolf fur that he was working at sewing into the lining of a coat. **"Drinks, Eh? I'm not familiar with the mainland drinks, to be honest. If we had alcohol back home, it was usually from the fruits on the island."** He scratched his head as he found a table, which he took up the majority of with his work. **"I usually just drink what I'm offered when here,"** he said, still out loud, and still seemingly not directed at anyone in particular. He finished a stitch and put his tools away. He looked down at the table and seemed a bit disappointed before he realized that he hasn't actually ordered anything yet.

Glinn tries to pick up something more from the barmaid's thoughts, instead he only gets a mug of Ale thrown at him. Astonished, and mad about how stupid he was, he makes his way back to a table where the others are, pointing the wand to himself and restoring his usual and dry visage. Glinn looks at one of the hearth and makes the flames dance and twirl, while projecting his mind to Tilly. "I know you're always happy to hear my voice. I need to buy rare inks, since I forgot to pack extra when we left. Apparently, there's something called the 'night market' or something like that. Anyway, just so you know what I'll be doing when everyone is heading to bed."

Jonathan takes the small raised stage, quietly setting up as the previous performer finishes her set. The man could be described as having a rugged handsomeness and a similar exotic quality of most other half Elves. He sat behind and to the left of the previous performer, adding his own music as backup, being familiar with the tune and offering her a smile when she nodded her approval.

As she left, she quietly thanked him and he offered his praise to the woman before taking a more centered seat upon the stage. He made no introductions for now, not wanting to break the particular mood in the room but to continue the cool ambiance that put travelers at ease and filled the purses of the servers who waited on them.

He chose a song that best fit that very description as he worked out a few test chords, slyly crafted to seem intentional, and began Health to the Company. A tune almost guaranteed to sell a few more rounds.

"Kind friends and companions, come join me in rhyme.
Come and lift up your voices in chorus with mine.
Come and lift up your voices, all grief to refrain.
For we may or might never all meet here again..."

Entering into the same tavern as before, Lorelai caught sight of a few faces from earlier, but as was usual for such places, many new people had arrived. Moving off to a table she worked on tuning her Dulcimer -- even if it wasn't her strong suite to play for coin, it wouldn't hurt to have more currency from this side of things. She watched Glinn get splashed with ale with an amused expression ... though couldn't help but wonder what he did or said to cause it to happen. Soon she found herself joined by Blaze, the tabaxi tailor. Shifting her instrument out of the way she replied to him, "I trust only drinks chosen by myself -- for rarely do others have as fine a taste as I do." Plucking a string she added, "Though the suggestions of locals are usually taken into account."

Lorelei smirked as Glinn joined them before her attention was caught by the tiny stage, speaking to her table, "Ah -- it seems this place has ample entertainment, perhaps I won't be sought after this time?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread