• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

A Demon Crossover

Dragongal

Miss Medic

Two demons leave their time period and universe, and wander into another. However, that world is not unfamiliar with demons, nor is it exactly friendly toward them, and they couldn't have expected to run into none other than a certain demon hunter.

[Daniel's Demons x Mason's Stories]​

@sugakookie

Last edited by a moderator:
“If you’re smart, you’ll stay down,” Daniel said with a quiet growl. There was a bit of blood trailing down his chin, welling from a split in his lip. Daniel was a young man with olive skin and green eyes, and wasnot much taller than average. A light scar cut into his left eyebrow. His full-sleeve green shirt fit the earthy tone of the room nicely, as did his messy, shortish dirty-blond hair and black-and-silver scarf. Over his shirt he wore a belt with the customary simple dagger. His travel-worn boots covered his tucked-in black pants, both still covered in dust from the roads. Overall, a neatly dressed figure, except for the blood.

The bloodied man on the ground looked up at him for a moment, then looked away and slowly nodded. The flickering lights of lanterns and the roaring fire in the center of the common room lit the worn wooden floors, tables, and chairs (some of which were broken) as well as the downed man’s companions, who were in similar situations to him, if not unconscious. Daniel grinned and wiped some of the blood away. He loved it when they conceded and he didn't have to beat them senseless. It made it easier on Maven, too, since she didn't have to worry about if anyone had died. “Excellent choice, my friend.”

Daniel went back to his seat at one of the many tables in the common room, while some of the men who had fought him set to picking up the wreckage before the innkeep could charge the for the damaged chairs, some of which they had broken over Daniel’s back in an attempt to win their ill-chosen fight. Maven came over with a flaggon of mead and handed it to Daniel, then leaned in and quietly said, “You’re lucky the owner likes you. Do you know how many chairs people have broken on your back trying to fight you?” It felt odd to Maven, being in a maid's dress again, but she wanted some pocket cash that wasn't borrowed from Conroy. The crimson and cream dress did complement her fair skin, dark brown hair, and amber eyes well, though. At nineteen, she looked the part of a young waitress, which she had been up until a year ago. It was still humorous how sometimes it felt like she was acting as the mother of Daniel and Conroy, despite being half a head shorter than Daniel, and a whole head shorter than Conroy.

Well, I always pay it back, so there shouldn’t be an issue. Besides, he knows I’m actually nice.” Daniel gave Maven a roguish grin and started draining the mead. He couldn't get truly drunk, but that didn't mean he couldn't try.

Maven rolled her eyes. Daniel could be a handful at times, especially when he was right, and especially after a fight. He just dodged questions and accusations with dark humor until he could be alone to curse himself; she'd seen it before, and she would surely see it again. “No complaining to Roy and I later about how much you hate fighting.”

Daniel glanced up to Maven and chuckled. She knew him too damn well. While he didn't truly complain, he knew a jest when he heard one. “Got it.”

Mason wipes the sweat from his forehead, setting his ax against the tree stump he was chopping wood on. Elizabeth comes out from their house, two cups in hand as she makes her way to her husband.

“Mace, take a break. There’s plenty of firewood already in the house,” Elizabeth says, concern on her face. She hands him one of the cups she’s holding. Mason takes it quietly, looking back towards the pile of wood nearby.

He looks back at her and smiles. “I have nothing better to do.”

“Yes you do. Come inside and help me clean, maybe,” Elizabeth sips water from the cup in her hand.

“Absolutely not.”

“Why?”

“Darling, I have to put these muscles to use,” he grins and flexes his arm, looking boyish and mischievous.

Elizabeth rolls her eyes, fed up with hundreds of years spent with the troublesome favorite son of the Devil himself. She looks at his jet black hair covered with sweat, and pure black eyes that are so similar to his father’s. “Then I have a better idea for how you can put those muscles to use,” she hums and walks back towards the house.

Mason stares at her, his mind blank until he realizes what she’s implying. “Hey, wait up!” He laughs and rushes after her, earning a giggle from her.

“Move your damn firewood to the living area.” Elizabeth points to the piles he had set on the ground by the door. Mason frowns. “What?” He says sheepishly, his face dropping.

“You heard me. Oh, by the way, the neighbors are getting suspicious again. Don’t you think it’s high time to move?” The slim, red-headed she-demon stares at her husband with concern in her eyes. “Bethany asked what my secret was to looking so young, I really didn’t know what to tell her,” she giggles and decides to help move the wood.

“You should have told her it was a brand new face powder from Hell.”

“Oh stop. I’m serious. I know you love it here but we can come back later. I want to explore. Something new and raw, like… the medieval period, no?” Time travel. A staple in the abilities of a demon, something Mason has become accustomed to over hundreds- no, thousands of years. Time travel, something necessary to hide the fact that demons do not age.

“You want to visit medieval times?” Mason puts his stack of wood down and looks at her. “Okay, my love. Let’s go.”

Elizabeth’s face brightens. She drops her wood and hugs Mason tightly. “I love you!”

Within the next day, news of the Savage couple leaving town spread. In that same day, the two of them sent their bodies and souls to another period. Instead of going to the same place they lived through already, they visited somewhere new. Clothes have been changed, accents adjusted.

Mason and Elizabeth Savage walk down the streets, asking people where to go for food or a place to sleep. They were new to town. They didn’t come with many belongings. One man pointed them towards an inn not too far off. However, that man said, “Be careful, though. There’s a man there who likes to pick fights. Don’t get caught in the middle of it, he’ll have you in a casket before you can even get settled here.”

Mason chuckles. “I’m sure I can defend myself. Thank you kindly,” he nods to the man and walks off, holding his smirking wife’s hand.

“I love it when people underestimate us,” Elizabeth says cheerfully.

“As do I.”

Wow, this last fight made a Hel of a mess.... That is going to cost a very shiny silver. Daniel had just finished his drink, and had started in cleaning up the wreckage of the fight when the new couple walked in. Well, nothing extraordinary about them, seemingly, except for the fact that both of them looked strikingly beautiful. Probably just a good bloodline. Nobles, perhaps? But why would nobles be in a commoner's inn? None of my business. By the time Daniel returned from carrying some of the wreckage - broken chairs, mostly - out to the back to burn, the new couple had been seated and Maven had already brought them their drinks and left a flaggon of spiced mead on the counter for Daniel. He let out a quiet sigh as he picked up the drink. By the end of the night, I’ll be a poor man again. In which case he could either drop by a temple and pick up some money or take some from Conroy.

After a few moments, he walked over to his table and sat down, then looked around the rather dim room slowly. Maven was there, but where was the final member of their little trio? Where the Hell is Conroy? That mage is always late…. He better not have gotten into trouble. That's my thing. Daniel glanced to Maven again; she didn't seem worried, so that meant he didn't have to worry. When Maven became worried, then Daniel had a good reason to be concerned.

Mason holds his drink, taking in his surroundings and sipping the less than satisfying alcohol. Elizabeth touches his arm.

“Do you smell that?”

“Smell what?” Mason looks at her, raising an eyebrow.

“Demon.” Mason’s ears perk at Elizabeth’s statement and he looks around, his eyes locking on a green eyed man with a straight face.

“Him?” Mason peeks at Elizabeth. She nods. Mason shakes his head. “There’s something about him, but he’s not a demon.” He thinks for a bit longer, his brain calculating things about every single person in the room, but he can’t read Daniel. He gathers information from the thoughts of others about Daniel. The gears in his brain shift and turn. “I’ll be right back. Stay here,” Mason says and gets up, going to the table Daniel is sitting at. “Hello, mind if I take a seat?” Mason asks with a kind smile.

Daniel glanced up at the man who had spoken to him and smiled politely. “Not at all.” While he didn't show any suspicion, Daniel was honestly trying to calculate everything he could about this man. Why is he leaving his girl at another table to talk to me? Strange people walking up to Daniel and asking to share a table rarely ended well... at least, it rarely ended well for said stranger, at least. It could very well have been that the man had come to the cozy inn in search of shelter and was new to the area. Perhaps he needed directions. But was it ever that easy? Not in Daniel's experience. It was like the gods enjoyed making things hard for him, or at least that was what Daniel felt during more pessimistic moments.

He caught Maven’s eye and saw her surprise as well. I just finished a fight, please don’t make me fight again…. Daniel honestly didn't want to fight. He was still just accepting the fact that he had gotten into another worthless, pointless brawl. Yes he had won but he had enjoyed the fight, which to him felt the same as if he had lost... he was literally ashamed of winning. It had just been too easy and he had led the men along, he hadn't just fought them. People weren't supposed to enjoy fighting, so why did he? He knew the answer, but he didn't like it.... Celeste would be so disappointed....

“I heard from some people around here that you are a regular here, and know the owner of this establishment well. If you could point me to him, that would be wonderful. I would like to get a room here but I am not entirely sure how long I am welcome,” Mason takes a sip from his mug. Elizabeth watches, suspicious of the man and worried for Mason’s safety. Being alive for far too long, the pair of them have seen all sorts of creatures from all kinds of dimensions. This is different.

Daniel smiled kindly and nodded. “I am a bit of a regular, I suppose. The owner is likely in the kitchen at the moment.” Daniel chuckled a bit. Yes, he was a regular, though perhaps that shouldn't be made a habit of, not with his line of work. Nostalgia was the only reason he could think of for why he always came back to this inn. Though maybe it was comfort? That was something Daniel too rarely experienced. But the man's words had definitely caught his attention. “If I may ask, why do you think you mayn’t be welcome for long?”

Right then, a large, scruffy man walked in. He had brown hair and a close-trimmed beard. Standing at about six foot four, and exceptionally well-built, the man was clearly a behemoth. Probably and iron worker or some kind. Definitely strong. He loudly called out, “I’m looking for the man who just beat Trenton and his men.”

Daniel rolled his eyes and sighed heavily, before saying to Mason, “I’m truly very sorry, but I’m going to need to step away for a moment.” He then looked to the large man. “They didn’t tell me their names, but if you want someone to fight, it’s me. Leave everyone else alone, they’re just here for food and drink.

The man walked over to Daniel. “I heard you’re unbeatable. Took a knife to the gut last year and showed up to fight the next day. That true?”

“If I say no, will you still try to fight me? I kind of wanted to relax a bit, sir, and I’m also conversing with this gentleman.”Manners had yet to soothe an irate enemy, but Daniel still tried. Please, please, I don't want to fight... if you get me upset I'll want to fight... I don't want to do that....

The man grabbed Daniel by his shirt front and pulled him out of his chair. ”We’re going to fight, kid. And I’m going to get that money I bet Trenton.”

Daniel sighed and took a second to balance himself, though the man hadn’t let go of his shirt. “I hate it when people bet about fighting me. By this point they should know the result.” Daniel grabbed the man’s wrist and started slowly applying pressure until the man pushed him away to prevent his wrist from shattering. Any regret Daniel had was gone, now that he was faced with an opponent. “Look, just go back to Trenton and tell him you lost, it’ll be the same result, okay?” Daniel had barely had time to finish his sentence before he had to duck a hard swing. His opponent wasn’t going to wait, it seemed. His opponent was also slow and had no strategy past swinging at things.

Daniel, still crouched, gave the man a quick punch to the gut, then another to his lower ribcage. There was an audible cracking sound, though to the human eye, it was hard to tell what it had come from: Daniel’s punches blurred from the sheer speed of his hits. He didn't need the time to think, he just knew what to do. As the man recoiled, Daniel moved one leg behind the behemoth’s, and grabbed his arm. The man, now off-balance, was in a perfect position for Daniel’s next move, which was to pull on the man’s arm, effectively pulling him to the floor. His fall was delayed, however, by Daniel bringing his knee up to smash into the man’s head. There was another audible crack as the man’s nose was broken, and Daniel, knowing the fight was finished, tossed the unconscious man aside with some disdain. Why did you make me do that...?

With a heavy sigh, Daniel went back to his seat across from Mason and sat down. Absentmindedly, he began to play with the wooden ring on his third finger, then glanced up to Mason before taking another drink of mead. Daniel probably seemed a bit tired... though not physically. Mentally and emotionally, he felt exhausted. He still managed to smile roguishly to Mason, though. “I’m very sorry about that interruption, sir. I’m afraid it occurs on occasions.”

Mason shakes his head, dismissing the apology. “No worries, sir. Say, where does a man get strength like that? It’s almost inhuman. That behemoth of a man barely even had a fighting chance.” He tilts his head and raises an eyebrow.

Elizabeth taps her finger on her jawline, thinking. No, this man wasn't a demon. He wasn’t a human either. It’s impossible to tell what he is. Unless… unless the rumors were true.

Mason feels his partner’s worry and fear, wishing he could walk over and comfort her. Now was not the time, though. He had to find out what exactly this thing called Daniel was. He heard every crack, every fracture, all of the blood flowing from the now beaten man’s body. This is the strength of a demon. The gears in Mason’s head stopped turning. He was at a loss. He didn’t want to contact his all-knowing father, that hardly ends well.

Daniel chuckled and raised an eyebrow in an effort to seem surprised. “I’m a woodsman, and I’ve trained in fighting. Skill is more important than brawn.” Most of that was purely lying, but he wasn’t about to tell the truth to a man who had just shown up. He wasn't going to tell the truth to anyone, unless it was necessary... in fact, he didn't even like telling the truth to himself. It wasn't going to change, but that didn't mean he had to think on it every waking second, right?

He could hear Maven moving over to the fallen man to inspect his wounds, and mostly to see if any of them were fatal. Of course, none of them were. Daniel was rather skilled in fighting after all, and that included knowing where not to hit just as much as how to hit. His full attention returned to Mason, he asked, still smiling, “If I may ask, though, you never introduced yourself, or said why you mayn’t be allowed to stay long... if I may know, of course.” Daniel was playing his most polite and nice, but behind the mask he was mentally going over who this man was. If there was any way he could get an advantage, he'd rather get it sooner than later.

Maven walked over to Elizabeth and smiled. “Can I get you anything else, ma’am?” While the woman before her may have been the wife of whomever Daniel was talking to, Maven was still going to be nice as long as possible. At the least, until something occurred, then she could be persuaded into more... rude actions.

Lying. He’s lying. Mason’s temper was pricked by this realization, but he kept it at bay. “My name is Mason Savage. My wife, Elizabeth, is back at my table over there,” he gestures to the elegant, beautiful woman sitting patiently just before Maven walks over to her. “In regard to your other question, I tend to cause trouble once in awhile. I daresay I’m as thorough a fighter as yourself. My wife hates this habit of mine, that I always look for altercation. But if fighting is common here, maybe I won’t be as troublesome as usual.”

Elizabeth smiles at Maven. “Yes, I’d like a refill, please.” She says and chews her lip, something clearly on her mind.

Daniel nodded a bit, with a rather rueful smile on his face. He hated when peoples' first impression of him was a brawler... it just wasn't him. “My wife hates it too. I honestly don’t mean to get into fights, it just kind of… happens. My name’s Daniel, by the way.” No need to give up a last name. And I doubt he could be as good of a fighter as myself, though there’s something about him I’m finding rather suspicious. “What brings you around here, if I may ask?”

Maven had begun to walk to the kitchen to get the drink, when a tall, thin young man with short, curly black hair, pale skin, and bright, silver-blue eyes walked into the common room from outside. He was simply dressed in a blue long-sleeve shirt and black pants, with a number of necklaces around his neck. Mage material, to be certain. He glanced at the unconscious man on the ground, then to Daniel, and let out a heavy sigh, though he had a large grin on his face. “Godsdammit, Daniel.

Daniel rolled his eyes. He knew Conroy was messing with him, but the man just wanted a simple drink. Though Mason had made him suspicious, so a simple drink didn't seem likely anyway. Which was unfortunate, because Daniel really just wanted some peace and quiet. Daniel gave Mason a look that said, "What can you do," then glanced over to Conroy. “Can’t you see I’m having a conversation, Roy?”

“Yes, but I can also see the giant unconscious man on the floor.” Conroy laughed and kicked the unconscious man's leg a bit. Yep, he was definitely out cold. Maven walked over to Conroy and pulled him into a quick hug, which he happily returned. Conroy was of course surprised - he hadn’t thought Maven would have wanted to publicly show affection towards him, but then again, he always thought that and she always proved him wrong. After giving her man a little kiss on the cheek, Maven went to the kitchen to get Elizabeth’s drink. But not after she had squeezed Roy’s hand to let him know that something was wrong.

Conroy smiled as he watched Maven walk away, then turned to Daniel and Mason. “Old friend of his?” He cocked his head toward Daniel. Once in a while Daniel had old friends - whether they were actually friends or not was the question. “Or a new friend? Or not a friend at all?” Conroy chuckled to show that he was clearly joking.

Mason smiles. “We just met, but I’d like to think we are getting to the ‘new friend’ stage.” He says, finishing his mead and turning his attention to the young man. “My name is Mason. And you are?” Mason asks, standing to greet the man.

Elizabeth’s intuition told her they had to run, and soon. She knew better, though. One thing Mason could do was sense danger, and defend himself. If he wasn’t running then there was no point in her running. But this man, Daniel. Could it be that he is a rumored demon hunter, one who was given abilities much like a demon’s? No- those were just rumors. They can’t be true. And anyway Mason is not provoking the hunter, if he is one. At least, not yet.

Conroy smiled and stood as well, giving a slight bow before taking his seat again. “Conroy Lockard. Nice to meet you, Mason.” He was acting more formally than necessary, but it was better to play it safe than sorry, especially in his line of work. Sayiing a single name wrong could mean a beheading. Though, now that he worked with Daniel, he wasn't dealing with annoying nobles as much, thank the gods. Had Mason been around Trulane for long, he may have learned to recognize Conroy’s name as one of the highest-ranking mages in the country at the time - and in the history books. But of course, Mason had no way to know that. And Conroy also actively tried to avoid his name getting spread around for a number of reasons - mostly that he didn't like the posh mage lifestyle.

Maven came out and brought Elizabeth her drink. She gave the woman a wry grin. “Your man talking with those two, I see. They can talk all night, I warn you.” Maven looked the woman over for a moment. The madam seemed on-edge, to be certain. Maven gave her a calm, reassuring smile. Yes, that woman may be a potential enemy, but Maven knew they could handle her and her husband if needed. And if not, then there was no harm in helping ease this woman's mind. “I’m Maven. Do you need a room for the night? I promise you, this is probably the safest inn in the city.” And of course, it was safest for one reason: it was where herself, Conroy, and Daniel stayed.

Conroy looked over to Maven, but then returned his attention to Mason. It irked him that Maven risked herself as much as she did, and as often as she did, but he couldn’t do anything but protect her when it was needed. Not that it was often needed, as Maven was capable of handling herself, having grown up in the city.

“Likewise,” Mason says and takes his seat, looking toward Daniel. He played with the top button of his shirt, buttoning and unbuttoning it as he does when he’s thinking and distracted. Also when he’s wearing a button up shirt and has nothing better to do. “I’d rather like to test our strengths sometime. But I do understand if you are tired from fighting today.” Mason says. The best way to figure out what this damn creature is is to fight it, after all. Elizabeth wouldn’t approve of that thought.

“My name is Elizabeth. Yes, a room would be very good.” Elizabeth pretends to look relieved to save herself from anymore prying. “And thank you. That is comforting to hear.” Elizabeth could feel the tension bubbling in the air. It was incredibly unsettling. Maven was connected to the man she hugged as well as Daniel. Any numbskull could figure that much out. What frustrated her above all else is that this was all she knew about the woman in front of her. She wasn’t good with reading knowledge from people’s brains like Mason was.

Daniel sighed. Well, at least Mason was persistent. But he doubted the man knew exactly what he was asking for. “Tired, well, no. Tired of it, yes. I don’t particularly like fighting, except in the thick of it, then I’m stuck regretting my actions after.” Well, it was the honest truth, for the most part, Daniel always felt tired. Not tired from fighting, but just tired of fighting, tired of being aggressive, tired of... just being. What always irked him the most was that there'd been a time where he wouldn't have done it, but that was long ago... at this point, he got a kick out of it, until the fight was over. And, gods, what Celeste would say.... She was too honest, and gentle, and sweet, she wouldn't have let Daniel fight as he did... but then again, if she were there, he wouldn't have had to worry about fighting at all. How he longed to just be left well enough alone.... A crackling in the large central fireplace brought his attention back to the present. Especially to the fact that Mason was fidgeting a bit. Odd.

Conroy also noticed Mason’s fidgeting, though he was more distracted mentally by Maven’s talking with Elizabeth. Finally, he sighed, and thought, Let's see what can be seen about this young sir in front of us, hm? Conroy took one of the charms from a long pendant in his hand, and focused for a few seconds. It was immediately clear to him that Mason had a dark magic about him, and so did Elizabeth. That did not bode well for the trio, especially since Mason seemed to have figured some things out. The more he knew, the worse off they were going to be.

Maven smiled and said, "Well, I'll go tell the innkeep, and a room will be saved for your husband and yourself." Maven got up and walked away into the kitchen, told the innkeep that a room was needed and that she was going offduty, then took the back stairs (which were hidden from the view of the main room) up to the second floor where two rooms were rented out to the trio: one for herself and Conroy, and one for Daniel. She slipped into her room and started getting changed, knowing full well that a fight was coming, and a maid's dress wouldn't work.

In the meantime, the innkeep gave Elizabeth a key to the room for her and her husband, and disappeared back into the kitchen.

Mason smirks. “Rest assured, you need not regret your actions with me. I may be the one regretting putting my new friend one step closer to death’s door.” Oh, the irony.

Elizabeth played with the key in her hand and looked toward Mason, hearing every part of the conversation. You idiot. She sighs to herself and stands up, deciding to go to their table and take the last empty seat there.

Mason looks at her. “Elizabeth, I thought I told you to stay put?” He says. His temper rises one more level. He’s anxious to fight, Elizabeth can feel it.

“I missed you. Also, that woman named Maven gave us a key to a room. Won’t you come rest with me, we’ve had a long journey.” She says and touches his hand. Mason takes her hand gently and kisses her knuckles.

“I am making new friends in this new town. You may go rest, I will stay here. Do not worry about me.” He smiles at her. She shakes her head, and his smile drops. His temper stays hot.

“I am staying. Please, continue your conversation as if I am not here.” She looks at Daniel and Conroy. “I am deeply sorry for interrupting.”

Both men had definitely caught the threat Mason was clearly making. Conroy was already mentally getting a spell ready in case it was needed, and Daniel was watching Mason’s movements with more attention, though Daniel was careful not to let his tenseness show. It wouldn’t have been the first time they got into a fight with a new “friend” but with one who had them figured out? Still not the first, but it did not bode well at all. If Mason had even figured them out. Just as Daniel was thinking of a way to ask exactly what Mason was implying, Elizabeth stood up at her table.

Both Daniel and Conroy stood as Elizabeth approached, and only took their seats once she had - as was the Trulanian custom when a married woman approached. It was an old custom, that was not always followed, but Conroy and Daniel were both very well mannered young men. And again, in their line of work, manners helped. Seated again, Daniel smiled to Elizabeth. “No need to apologize, ma’am.” Daniel had to mentally give Mason a few points: he treated his wife very well, and clearly loved her.

Conroy smiled politely and asked strategically, “So what brings you two into the city? Just travelling, or looking for something more specific maybe? The markets here are quite grand.” Of course, Conroy was getting uncomfortable being in close proximity with two beings who had such strong dark magic about them, but he had held his own against a full-fledged alchemic demon before, among other types. He wasn’t about to flinch now, even despite the fact that his magic was naturally making him antsy from being so close to their... new friends....

“We are simply travelling. My dear wife wanted to see more of the world, and I cannot deny her any joys she seeks.” Mason takes Elizabeth’s hand in his own and rubs the back of it with his thumb, finally being able to comfort her like he wanted. “We heard this town had beautiful scenery- and grand markets, as you mentioned.” He’s on edge. He needs to fight, to see what this mysterious human-demon is capable of for himself.

Elizabeth nods in agreement. “I pushed him to come here, I’ve always wanted to visit this area. My sister lives not far from here.”

Mason’s eyes flicker toward Conroy. He can gather that Conroy is starting to figure things out. The way his body shifts closer to the edge of his seat, as if he’s just as on edge. Daniel is tense. Their body language tells Mason that if he’s not careful, he and his wife could be in quite a bit of trouble.

Then again, Mason doesn’t really know what “careful” implies.

He wants to fight.

He will get a fight, even if he has to start it by force. The measly humans will take the bait, no doubt. He’s killed demons, he’s killed angels, and ghouls, and wild animals- even dragons are fair game. If he kills this thing then Elizabeth won’t have to worry anymore. Maybe they could even go somewhere different.

A waiting game was nothing new to Daniel or Conroy. Who would give up the act first? Despite the fact that both men were prepared for a fight, they had mastered appearing relaxed; at the least, Daniel had. Roy, however, had the occasional spark in his eyes, his iris changing to be more silver for a few moments. Tell-tale signs that he was not only on edge, but prepared to use magic. The fact that Mason and Elizabeth were radiating dark magic didn't help any. Daniel said pleasantly, “Travel is greatly underappreciated these days.Truly, this city is gorgeous, as most of this country is. I must admit to this being my favorite city in the country, though.” And again, Daniel was telling the truth. There were few cities he enjoyed being in, but this city was… it was just different. Normally he hated the crowds, since htere were too many possibilities in them, but here it was different. Maybe it was the stunning scenery or the fantastic markets that set him at ease. Maybe it was just this comfortable three-floor inn where he had met Maven and his most recent adventure had begun. It had ended in that city too. Maybe that was it.

Conroy sighed and said, “I must agree with the madame here, though, it is getting quite late in the evening - or early in the day? Perhaps it would be best if we all retired. I know I for one am growing weary.” If they didn’t have to fight at the moment, then Conroy would try to avoid it. But then they would be forced to spend the night in the same building as these people… were they people? All Roy could think about was Maven’s safety for the night…. He was already mentally going over the best shield spells he could think of.

Mason’s muscles twitch. “Ah, but I was so looking forward to having a good fight today. It’s been so long since I have had a half decent fight. I do not think I can wait any longer.” Mason lifts his chin slightly, looking to Daniel.

“Let’s quit the playing around here. What exactly are you? You are clearly not human, not with the kind of force you used to take out that man earlier. Are you a mage?” Mason pauses. “No. No, you’re not.” He looks at Conroy. “You are the mage.”

“Mason, that’s enough.” Elizabeth looks at him scoldingly, and he frowns. The two of them notice the slight change in expression of the men. Nothing goes unnoticed by a demon’s eyes.

Daniel looked Mason directly in the eyes. This man was lethal, to be certain, but Daniel didn’t want anyone getting hurt... and he just didn't feel the motivation to fight. Besides calling him out, Mason hadn't done anything wrong, and that made Daniel especially hesitant to fight - his temper wasn't there to push him into something he didn't want. There needed to be something to spark his temper before the burning need to fight could arise... and there wasn't any spark. “Look, I’m just a guy. I don’t want to fight. But if you’re looking for someone to fight, it’s me. Leave Roy out of it, leave everyone else out of it, okay?” So the man had figured out that he wasn’t normal. There was the option of playing it off until hopefully Mason gave up, but did that really need to happen? Daniel combed his fingers through his hair as he looked at Mason and Elizabeth in the flickering light. This man wasn’t normal either. What was he? For a moment, Daniel mentally froze. Could the man have been possessed? It was possible. It would explain why Mason could tell that Daniel wasn’t normal, and that telltale temper he knew too well… it disturbed him that they had that in common.

Conroy was looking at Mason with some intrigue. To him there were no options anymore. “Daniel, I don’t think I can be left out of it. Our new friend did just directly reference me.” Despite the fact the he was ready to fight, Roy was going to defer to Daniel on this. It was, after all, Daniel’s problem more than anyone else’s. But that meant it was also Roy’s problem, and Maven’s too. Perhaps he could appeal to Elizabeth? She seemed like the one with the sense. “I’ll be honest, I noticed the dark aura on both of you. However, I can’t tell exactly what the two of you are. If we’re being honest, of course.”

“We really don’t want any trouble, I am sorry for Mason’s behavior.” Elizabeth says. Sorry excuses for demon hunters if they can’t tell a demon apart when they see one. No, that’s rude, she can’t say that out loud. All Elizabeth wanted was to play dress-up peacefully in a different dimension. But of course, wherever Mason goes, conflict follows.

Mason stands up slowly, cracking his knuckles and standing taller than the other men’s heights.

“Mason.” Elizabeth says in a warning tone, only to be ignored. She speaks to him in another language, so that the other men can’t understand. The first language she can think of. Finnish. “They’re hunters.”

Mason snaps his head to Elizabeth, then smirks and starts laughing like a madman. “Oh my love, that just makes it more fun!” He replies so that Daniel and Conroy can understand. He reaches over and grabs Daniel by the throat.

“I am not interested in your friend, at least not until I can see that he’s worth fighting. You, however… I am intrigued by you. Unbeatable, the behemoth said. We will see about that.” Mason gets a wicked and mischievous grin on his face. His eyes, from a close distance, seem to not have color separation between the pupil and iris. They look pure black, like the night sky. The white part of his eyes are a stark contrast to the deep black.

Well, Daniel had to appreciate Elizabeth’s attempt. He only wished that it had worked. Daniel glared at Mason. “You really don’t want to do this.” Conroy had moved to stand now, but Daniel gestured for him to stay back. There would be no guilt for fighting a possessed man (For, if Mason were a demon, he was not of any kind Daniel knew to exist: and Daniel knew of almost every type - at least, in his own dimension). But what if he wasn’t possessed? “I offer you one last chance, let me go and we’ll act like this never happened.” Well, Daniel couldn’t act like it had never happened, if Mason was possessed, but he could try, at least for a while. Oddly enough, the thing that irked Daniel most about this was the fact that, with Mason holding his throat, his scarf could fall off. That was not allowable, in Daniel’s mind. The other thing that irked him was how Mason was ignoring his wife. I would never have ignored Celeste. While still not accepting to fight Mason, Daniel stood up, if only to get a better angle in case he did have to fight. While he didn't want to fight, he was now definitely willing to.

“Do you honestly think that you can beat me like you beat every other human?” Mason scoffs. He gives Daniel’s throat some pressure. “Surely by now you can feel that I’m no weakling.” Mason looks at Elizabeth.

“My love, the mage. Don’t let him get a hit, if he can even do that much.” Elizabeth looks rather disappointed, but sighs and nods.

“Mason, I swear, there is never a dull day with you.”

Mason grins wider than before. “But isn’t that why you love me?”

Elizabeth says nothing, and Mason willingly takes her silence as agreement. He draws his attention back to Daniel. “I will not take your offer. You will fight me, and I will win. That cocky attitude will be no more. Or would you rather take the easy way out and I kill your disgraceful being right now?”

Elizabeth pouts to herself, still wishing her husband wasn’t so intent on saving his own kind. Then again, he’s killed more than his fair share of demons, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back