• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

19th Century War and Diplomacy RP

Turning it down to weeks would perhaps make wars/production/technology grinding but it would allow some focus on characters. Months might still be the best option though.

Right. IMO months lends itself to intrigue, diplomacy, and politics well enough, as these things don't necessarily happen overnight (so to speak). Especially any ideological shifts or roads to War.

Right. IMO months lends itself to intrigue, diplomacy, and politics well enough, as these things don't necessarily happen overnight (so to speak). Especially any ideological shifts or roads to War.
I'd agree a month of a timescale would be a good idea, however for things like battles we could slow it down to a day or so. Now with this all oUT of the way, I'd say now would be your last chance to change, add, or retcon anything.

Finally upped my population; 15+ million now instead of < 5 million, and based on a 1.5% figure, total military population will be up to 230,000. So I'm officially good to go.

Quickly seeing if I can come up with a simple yet workable system for resolving battles. I'm using this dice roller:
https://www.wizards.com/d20modern/d20mdice/dice.htm

Haven't really considered all modifiers yet, except a couple, but yeah. The whole thing is based a lot on percentages I guess, because that way it can scale to army sizes.

I'm thinking that there will be 3 phases to a battle: First Contacts, Main Battle, Resolution/Retreat.

So far I have an idea for the opening part. The battle opens with a d50 roll to determine initial balance or initiative, 1-25 in favor of the defender, 26-50 in favor of the attacker. The higher number is because I figure there could be modifiers, and a +1 on a d6 for instance is a massive difference whereas on a larger dice it's not OP. Then the casualties are rolled for each side on a d5 where either side could sustain up to 5% of their total casualties for the battle, in the initial contacts. 5% just seemed like a smallish round number for the first contacts. Whoever won the first roll gets a positive modifier for the next bit, the main battle.

Example
First roll, d50 for initial balance
Result: 36 - attacker's favor, positive modifier in main battle.

Second roll, d5 for attacker casualties
Result: 5 - heavy attacker casualties (5/5%)

Third roll, d5 for defender casualties
Result: 3 - moderate defender casualties (3/5%)

I don't know if I'm explaining it well or not. And obviously changes can/will be made. I'll try to finish this up as quickly as I can (if this is the way we'll go).

Last edited:
Quickly seeing if I can come up with a simple yet workable system for resolving battles. I'm using this dice roller:
https://www.wizards.com/d20modern/d20mdice/dice.htm

Haven't really considered all modifiers yet, except a couple, but yeah. The whole thing is based a lot on percentages I guess, because that way it can scale to army sizes.

I'm thinking that there will be 3 phases to a battle: First Contacts, Main Battle, Resolution/Retreat.

So far I have an idea for the opening part. The battle opens with a d50 roll to determine initial balance or initiative, 1-25 in favor of the defender, 26-50 in favor of the attacker. The higher number is because I figure there could be modifiers, and a +1 on a d6 for instance is a massive difference whereas on a larger dice it's not OP. Then the casualties are rolled for each side on a d5 where either side could sustain up to 5% of their total casualties for the battle, in the initial contacts. 5% just seemed like a smallish round number for the first contacts. Whoever won the first roll gets a positive modifier for the next bit, the main battle.

Example
First roll, d50 for initial balance
Result: 36 - attacker's favor, positive modifier in main battle.

Second roll, d5 for attacker casualties
Result: 5 - heavy attacker casualties (5/5%)

Third roll, d5 for defender casualties
Result: 3 - moderate defender casualties (3/5%)

I don't know if I'm explaining it well or not. And obviously changes can/will be made. I'll try to finish this up as quickly as I can (if this is the way we'll go).

as long as we take the modifiers into account, it sounds like a fair method. So what did you guys think of my method and rules on the secondary nations?

I'd think it would be like one turn a day, and the timing of the change of turns is Always the same. That way, people can discuss things for a while if they like, and people from different time zones get equal chances.

Each person only gets one post? Or the whole thing is one post?
Yeah like one person gets a post, describes whats going on in their country and that's their turn, unless they're interacting with another country, which I suppose could carry on privately? I think?

Yeah like one person gets a post, describes whats going on in their country and that's their turn, unless they're interacting with another country, which I suppose could carry on privately? I think?

Yeah and then there's battles, which I think will require a bit extra input from the relevant player(s) as parts are resolved. The main consideration is whether a player wants to continue the battle or whether they'll try to withdraw (retreat isn't guaranteed to be cohesive and easy!). It allows the player some direct control, and also is more realistic to break off if it's not going well. Unless maybe some player wants to emulate the likes of the Battle of Fredericksburg (1862) and make basically-pointless-exposed-frontal-attack after basically-pointless-exposed-frontal-attack to be realistic in that way...not advised!

I think we we should have a specific thread for nation-to-nation conversations so it won't be as easy to accidentally read them if you don't want to be spoiled! mainly up to Moldie Moldie though

Aye, I'm interested. Not sure if I'm too late. And I'm also new, so don't count me in just yet as I cannot send any PMs.
Will there be a summary made at the end of the things and rules of the RP, yeah right?

Aye, I'm interested. Not sure if I'm too late. And I'm also new, so don't count me in just yet as I cannot send any PMs.
Will there be a summary made at the end of the things and rules of the RP, yeah right?
I think. You have to hurry, a nation template is on page 1/2.

The Kiloray Republic

us-tn.gif

State

Statehood:
Elective Monarchy

Leader:
King Jans Nikolai

Capital:
Kiloray

Currency:
Losja

Political tenets:
Free trade and free markets.
No death penalty unless The King makes exceptions.
The King has supreme power.
No slavery.

Civil services:
Care, Security and Safety play a big role.
The police is often referred to as the "bluehats", translating to "blaukaps".
Hospitals are funded by the government, such as the police and fire brigades.

Ambitions:
Freedom, free market, equality is strongly encouraged. In the case of diplomacy. The government will do anything to protect their country.

Geography and Culture

Map:
WIP

Population:
About 14.000.000

Language:
Kiloryan (combination like Flemish & Swedish)

Natural resources:
Wood, coal, fish, grain, salt, copper, stone, iron.

Major Cities:
Kiloray 1.500.000
Marmur 670.000
Lian 500.000
Wertenbourg 460.000
Warntoyl 450.000

Provinces:
Kiloray, Marmur, Werten, Michin, Qoi

Landmarks:
frederiksborg-castle-hillerad-in-denmark-landscape.jpg
germany_landscape_mountains_214659.jpg

Architecture:
depositphotos_77527522-stock-photo-old-danish-architecture.jpg

Culture:
The culture is very diverse, a lot of colour, flowers are also loved. The weather is perfect for most flowers too. Much rain, not really cold winters, and warm summers. People don't think the rain is such a problem. Most structures are build against it. But rain also stimulates the economy, there a big companies in Kiloray that repair roofs and a lot of money is invested in those things. Food is also different per region. But usually they use the local fruit, vegetables and other stuff. There are not a lot of spices, they're usually imported.

Religion

State religion:
Some eastern-orthodox-like religion.

Religious groups:
A lot more.

Economics

Economy:
The taxes are quite high, people are either rich or poor. But the poor get their food provided. Not the other stuff though. Free trade and free market are completely free. There aren't even rules for products, which may be a problem.

Infrastructure:
Between big cities there are roads established by the government. Small cities and towns have to build their own inbetween one another. Almost every big city having a connection with the sea or rivers has harbours. Although they use for each harbour differs from economical to military.

Military

Army:
180.000 men for line infantry, only about a 40 cannons/mortars. Because the iron resources are not that vast. About 80 of those units.
The cavalry consist of 200 horsemen.

Navy:
Quite a big navy compared to the size. About 18 Battleships, 40 frigates, 2 ironclads.

Technology:
The army uses rifles that are bolt-action. Kilrani S1. Officers tend to use swords too. Cavalry uses a kind of cut-off Kilrani S1, called the Molri Sin. And also blades.
Cannons and mortars are regular ones.

Last edited:
That's a bit more of a democracy, unless you have representatives that vote for the people.

From experience, you wait a full week then got nervous. Mods have a tendency to get bust and forget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back