How in holy hell do you come up with names

i look up names that mean something to my character, personality or object wise. for example i have a german woman, who is a paladin and overall very strong person. i named her delmira hertz, which meant something like strong/noble protector or something like that.

and for my french character, i look up a meaningful name in french.

or you can use a generator like fantasy generator that gives you a whole bunch of random stuff depending on what you need :P

Generally I just pick a name I like... But then, I sort of collect names.

If it's a fantasy culture, I pick something that comes from a culture that's closely mirrored by the culture of the fantasy location the character comes from. Alternatively, I create naming traditions for the country before naming any characters.

Honestly, good names come from really random places sometimes.

Babynames.com my friend, yeah, I'm reeeaal creative.

I find that it's good browse baby naming sites when looking for a character name. Sure, it looks super weird on my search history, but some of my favorite characters' names come from those kind of sites.

MrSquid123 said:
Seriously how do you name your character?!
For more realistic characters I use lists of names and surnames of different countries and try to search for the meaning as well.

For fantasy or sci-fi I tend to pick a root language for the group the character might belong and translate words that relate to him, then I remove letters or I scramble them following a pattern that I repeat every other time with characters from the same group. Like removing the first vowel and changing it for another one, or taking out the last 3 letters.

I always use a generator. A lot of times, though, I'll reuse the name on a different character

MrSquid123 said:
Seriously how do you name your character?!
Based off of

A: an element on the periodic table when I'm lazy

B: A translated word that means something about my character, like @yuckeroni

C: Something based off of a previous character's name. Which I have my reasons for when I do.

[QUOTE="The Departure]A: an element on the periodic table when I'm lazy
B: A translated word that means something about my character

[/QUOTE]
That's basically what I do. Although, I do have a friend that works way better than those... terrible name generators. So we just randomly generate names at 4am

My methods are to either go to a random name generator and picking hat sounds right, using translated words which have some meaning taht represents the core of my character or mixing up names from fantasy characters, places, etc... According to what I drew inspiration from

Tenebrous said:
That's basically what I do. Although, I do have a friend that works way better than those... terrible name generators. So we just randomly generate names at 4am
lol... terrible name generators.

I am one that will search baby names. It allows you to determine the specific region the name comes from, and it allows you to find names that mean things you want to say about your character.

Typically I mix-n-match names from

A. my co-workers / family members / friends

B. fandom characters I like

C. nameberry.com ( that site is the business )

Now if it's some kind of 'fantasy' name I like using flowers for some reason. Not like Rose or Daisy. But like Delphine or Amorencia.

Come up with the most boring name possible, then slap it on the sheet. Disregard any meaningful, fancy names-- your character's parents probably have no clue what your character is going to do with their life.

Picking a name for a character takes around 10 minutes for me, I'd usually take words from latin that describes my character and if I've got nothing then it's to the generator I go!

All I really do is use a random identity generator. Than I use a time on a like once I find one.

I usually name my own characters. But if I find myself absolutely stumped, fantasynamegenerators.com is a life saver. I use the generator more often for town names cause I'm awful with those, I'll just start naming them after food if left to my own lack of creativity 8D

I usually look at the ethnicity of my character and decide from there. I usually try using certain letters at the beginning of the first and last name.

I typically try to use variations of names I like, but it usually depends on the character.

Most likely, I'll just use a name I like, or try and find one that means something to the character, or it means something about the character.

For middle names, I (terribly) use plant names. It is awful. I need a better way.

(Cause c'mon, Julian Tuberose Scarlet? Zen Anemone Scarlet? Akirette Hibiscus Scarlet?)

Last names are almost always adjectives or verbs.

I use the first part of the scientific name of an animal species, for middle names I use constellations, and for last names I use odd word nobody uses in modern day conversation.

Kidding.

I use common names that are relevant to the character's ethnicity.

Because Shimmer Mars Unicornblood and Galaxy Dragon Oatmeal are the names of clowns.

And Haydn Pantera Mist is the ultimate edgy hipster.

Simple. Look up your favorite characters from all different kinds of shows and mix them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back