Viewpoint How would you feel if you realized your partner's reply was generated by an AI?

BambiLoverLol BambiLoverLol this conversation is off topic because the question concerns people who rp against other people, not against AI.

Please take it to PMs, guys, or make your own thread, thanks.

Hoyo!

Personally, if I can discern that AI was used to create an interest check/recruitment thread I wouldn't necessarily hold it against the one who posted it. But it would set off warnings in my head that this might be an RP to avoid. After all, if the one posting the thread used AI to generate the thread itself, what's to stop them from using it in their posts as well in the actual RP?

Speaking of...

I won't beat around the bush on this one, I view AI generated posts as creative incompetence.

The whole point of art in general, regardless of medium, is self expression. And roleplaying is no different.

You are supposed to be the one creating characters and worlds and moments within a story. Not some AI program who's doing it all from stolen or hastily thrown together ideas put into its algorithm by its creator.

AI is not you, no matter how involved you were in the making of the prompt. And AI will never be able to truly generate art in its most basic and human definition.

What the AI spits out is an amalgamation of ideas which, based on its training, it deemed "good enough" to be related to your prompt. Often times, what it gives you isn't even close to your prompt. Or is just far enough away from it to be worth classifying as something else entirely. And no matter how close it gets, it doesn't represent you or your creative process. Nor does it represent any actual effort on your part to be creative. It's a lazy, hollow, shameless display of the mindset that "this is too hard/I don't feel like thinking, so I'll let a program be creative for me."
Again, creative incompetence.

In all honesty, and I know this is an incredibly harsh take on the matter, but I very seriously believe that if you use AI to "roleplay" then have two choices: Stop using AI and actually put in the fucking effort to be creative yourself, or quit the hobby.

Using AI is not roleplaying, nor does using it make you a role player any more than using AI to generate hash brown pictures makes you an artist (no disrespect to hash browns intended) .

So, don't use AI.

Period.

Cheers!

The whole point of art in general, regardless of medium, is self expression. And roleplaying is no different.
I agree with most of your post! Except for this bit. I don't agree with this definition.

(Edit to clarify: I'll be using both drawing and writing as examples)

I think if you're an independent artist, then most frequently, yes! The purpose to your art is self-expression. However, that definition can vary based on what YOU are creating the art for. If you're doing a commission for someone else, then the art isn't about your self-expression so much as it is about accurately depicting someone ELSE'S self-expression.

And then you get into art that ISN'T for the sake of self expression at all - art exists that is simply for the sake of communication. Public restrooms signs are a good example.

The same goes for writing. Using a language AI to write a bulletin board list of tasks to be accomplished by a team of workers is also something I find inoffensive, because the purpose is to communicate clearly, not express your own creative touches.

As an artist, I don't find any shame in using AI art or AI writing for particular purposes that DON'T step on the more creative roots of the medium. I use AI art when I want to get an image down for a character that I'm not willing to funnel 6 hours of scribbling into, just to have the RP tank before it begins. Just having a quick image on the screen can be quite enough to get my ideas going, and I don't consider this stepping on the creative process because the ultimate goal is to inspire me to create a character, not create a self-expressive art piece. The creative control is still all my own.

I've even prompted AI art and liked the character enough to draw them myself, down the line. I consider those pieces of my own no less self-expressive because they came from AI origins.

Similarly, I don't use AI language models for direct posts, but I've used it to inspire myself in other ways. If you tell an AI to ask questions about your characters and worlds, I've found that is a fantastic way to get some really fleshed-out character dev and worldbuilding done.

AI is a tool, and like all tools, they can be used for good, bad, and lazy purposes. No offense intended towards your opinions! But I also think that using AI does not have to be the end of someone's creativity either. Funnily enough, if you're just a little creative with how you use AI, it can actually work in favour with your own creativity.

Last edited:
Hi, I've noticed an influx of AI-generated posts, also on this site. Even some recruitment threads seem to be AI-generated. By that, I mean that a significant portion of the text (sometimes 50%, other times 100%) is generated by an AI based on the person's prompt. Sometimes, you can see edits, while other times, it's evident that nearly none were made.

How would it make you feel if you realized the post you received and were expected to respond to wasn't really written by your roleplay partner?

Would you not care as long as, in your opinion, the quality was decent?

Would you feel cheated since they didn't put half as much time and effort into it as you did?

Would you feel uncomfortable with the fact they probably fed your own written content to the AI so it could produce a supposedly accurate response?

And one question for those using AI in the mentioned manner—do you assume nobody notices that you didn't write it, or do you not care whether they did or not?

What's your stance on this?
My main question is, how can you be able to tell someone's response is AI generated, especially if they decided to edit if they did do this? And i'm saying that without like. Going to another AI site that will tell you it's ai-generated, I noticed a lot of people write in specific or 'odd' ways naturally and it can be mistaken for AI sometimes imo.

If they seem to still put enough effort, I’d probably excuse some of it. I am not entirely innocent of this either. When I was a bit newer to the whole text rp thing, I simply made an AI check for grammatical errors/ make it sound better. Then I would paste that, but change whatever I felt didn’t feel right (I don’t do that anymore). If they are just making the AI generate the entire reply, then I would see that as a possible red flag. Like what Daisie said: “If I wanted to create a story with a bot, then there are plenty of apps for that nowadays”. Even I use AI chat apps as a personal guilty pleasure to this day, but I want my human partners to write their human replies, even if they had an AI check their grammar.
Yeah i think this is a fine take. Using AI to enhance or check for grammar is good as it will help your own writing long-term tbh, especially if billingual & that's what your goal is. Obviously using AI doesn't excuse not putting in effort and fully AI-generating it i agree! It's important to write your own unique response without needing to rely on AI for it.

but what if i still like ai. Can i still use it?
i'm sure (almost) no one would begrudge you for writing with an ai partner. in this thread, people are explicitly discussing using ai generated content to reply to (human) partners' posts or to advertise for new writing partners - so, claiming ai generated content as your own/implying you wrote it. this could be disingenuous or frustrating to your writing partners. you simply writing with an ai back and forth for your own enjoyment bothers no one.

eta: i'd say it was fine to use it with a partner as well so long as you were upfront and forthcoming from the start, giving them an opportunity to back out if they weren't okay with it.

I'd make friends with my new AI partner. I may meet it again under different circumstances. :D

I'd be pretty annoyed frankly. For me the point of RPing as opposed to writing fiction is to get the creative input from another human being and an AI cant replace that in any meaningful way. Even if you edit the output very heavily an AI can't carry on a cohesive narrative and make decisions based on previously established details or character traits and that's a huge part of what I want from a partner.

I truthfully think there's very little AI can do that humans can't do for themselves better with just a little bit of effort, I would especially advise caution to people relying on AI for help with grammar or sentence structure. AI can and frequently does "hallucinate" factually incorrect responses that it presents with 100% confidence, its an inherent flaw in the way LLMs work and if you don't already have a good understanding of these concepts you won't be able to pick out what is wrong. In the long run you could pick up incorrect habits.

AI can and frequently does "hallucinate" factually incorrect responses that it presents with 100% confidence, its an inherent flaw in the way LLMs work and if you don't already have a good understanding of these concepts you won't be able to pick out what is wrong.
As someone whose job it is to test and break AI language models, yup. They do this all the time. Always fact-check.

Ultimately, its goal is not to tell you the factual truth. Its goal is to make you believe it's telling the factual truth.

Hi!!

Tbh I had to think in this for a bit but like in the end I'm okay with it.

I mean I'd rather my rp partners post something bot generated than have them say they all writers blocked and then lose interest. But like if it becomes an ongoing thing then like I'd get annoyed and call them out. But lol then again like I don't think I'd really notice unless they have a certain like style or flair to their writing.

Idc if they feed my response into the bot. Its in public view anyways lol. But then again I'd need to try it for myself and see if it pisses me off or not.

I would be quite upset if I found out my partner was using AI generation to role play with me. I would probably bid them farewell at that point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back