• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Yu-Gi-Oh! RP - An Academy Generation - OOC

So, policy on cards that are OCG only/have yet to be released in the TCG?

EDIT: By which I mean, can they be in the deck?

Also, the deck doesn't have to be a REAL functional deck, right? Considering we just write out our duels as is with a predetermined victor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greetings friendly friends! 

@Kolchao Also, I'd like to ask if this is going to be a huge "use all the top tier decks and cry" fest, or will we all start with basic decks and build up on them as the RP goes on?

Well, I would appreciate TCG cards only, but I'll have to go check the ban lists and etc, i've been away from the game for a while. May I ask for your opinion? You seem to know what you are doing :P

Well, since the victor is predetermined, I guess it doesn't have to be functional? I mean, as long as it has 40 cards and no legendary stuff, I guess you can go crazy. Seems fair.

Regarding top decks, yes, I would appreciate if you started slowly. I don't really know how to limit people on that aspect without destroying their creative freedom, so I think I'll trust everyone's common sense. Besides, the characters might not know what's better and what's worse, exactly.

I guess if you're an Obelisk Blue, you can make a pretty good deck, and if you're a Slifer, you'll have to hang with "not the best possible".

Well, I would appreciate TCG cards only, but I'll have to go check the ban lists and etc, i've been away from the game for a while. May I ask for your opinion? You seem to know what you are doing :P

Well, since the victor is predetermined, I guess it doesn't have to be functional? I mean, as long as it has 40 cards and no legendary stuff, I guess you can go crazy. Seems fair.

Regarding top decks, yes, I would appreciate if you started slowly. I don't really know how to limit people on that aspect without destroying their creative freedom, so I think I'll trust everyone's common sense. Besides, the characters might not know what's better and what's worse, exactly.

I guess if you're an Obelisk Blue, you can make a pretty good deck, and if you're a Slifer, you'll have to hang with "not the best possible".

I personally use only TCG cards for the sake of not confusing banlists, but it's a very... subjective thing. The biggest issue that might crop up is card name changes from OCG > TCG. I'd love to use some OCG cards because I'm having trouble building a somewhat thematic Odd-Eyes deck without them, but I'm crafty enough to retool the deck into something more performapal focused. If you do end up allowing OCG cards, then the simplest way would be to go by the lowest amount of cards allowed on both banlists (example: Morphing Jar is banned here, but at 1 in the OCG, so it's banned. Allure of darkness is 3 here, but 2 in the OCG, so it's only allowed to be run at 2.)

Also, regarding the decks: Normally I'd go with the progression thing, but there's the issue that this RP is set in a world where you don't really need to try to win... So I'd personally not see the harm in making a deck you'd use for the entire RP, or would only swap out certain cards from. I know I wouldn't change much about this Performapal/Odd-Eyes deck, unless more Odd-Eyes cards were revealed. (And before you ask: Only Odd-Eyes Rebellion, Rune-Eyes and Odd-Eyes Pendulum dragon seem to be the unique cards. Every other Odd-Eyes card doesn't center around the Pendulum variant or is heavily related to the pendulum one, which is a one-of-a-kind card that belongs to Yuya.)

Hmmmmmm I guess we can go with OCG then, the "largest ban wins" seems to make it ok. Is there a site with both lists for comparison?

And yes, that's the kind of structure I wanted to go for, regarding the decks. I wanted people to be able to use what they want, but make it so that anyone can win or loose, regardless of their choice, because I think the main objective is to have fun, over being the king of meta card games.

And regarding pendulums and such, I'll have to apologize, because my yugioh knowledge kinda ended with 5Ds, so I know zero to nothing about pendulums and everything that came after 5Ds. It's something I can go check online, that's why I'm allowing it all, but just wanted to point that out. (Poser alert)

Hmmmmmm I guess we can go with OCG then, the "largest ban wins" seems to make it ok. Is there a site with both lists for comparison?

And yes, that's the kind of structure I wanted to go for, regarding the decks. I wanted people to be able to use what they want, but make it so that anyone can win or loose, regardless of their choice, because I think the main objective is to have fun, over being the king of meta card games.

And regarding pendulums and such, I'll have to apologize, because my yugioh knowledge kinda ended with 5Ds, so I know zero to nothing about pendulums and everything that came after 5Ds. It's something I can go check online, that's why I'm allowing it all, but just wanted to point that out.

The pendulum thing was mainly in regards to the card Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon, which is as far as we know a 1-of-a-kind card that belongs to the protagonist of Yu-Gi-Oh Arc-V.

There's no excellent way to get an OCG list, but this site is the best option you've got.

Also, you might want to do something about Numbers. Long story short, in ZeXal, Numbers were one-of-a-kind cards that came from another world and possessed the user. They don't really exist anymore post-ZeXal. I've personally fixed it by changing up their names and keeping the effects, because Numbers are like half the Xyz toolbox.

Anywya, I'll get to working on a character

Well, We can keep the numbers as they are and leave the whole "possession" thing out of it. If they make a good lot of the Xyz, then I want them around for people who might want to use them.

I'll try my best to get a list for everyone and understand pendulums & friends.

Thanks for all your help :D and good luck

Actually it's like 22:30 here so I'm going to sleep and working on a character tomorrow.

For sure I'm going to have an Obelisk Blue who's more focused on mucking around compared to winning a duel but is still talented, and maybe a token loli if @Ender The Spider King manages to convince me.

(spamming this everywhere)

I forgot to mention. This is detailed RP, I expect solid posts, ALTHOUGH, mind you, I'd rather have you use your common sense over your inner Shakespeare when posting a reply. You don't need to post 7 paragraphs of inner monologue to respond to someone's "Hello, how are you?" now do you? Keep it solid, but above all, keep it real. Sometimes a short post will be the best option, but only sometimes.

(spamming this everywhere)

I forgot to mention. This is detailed RP, I expect solid posts, ALTHOUGH, mind you, I'd rather have you use your common sense over your inner Shakespeare when posting a reply. You don't need to post 7 paragraphs of inner monologue to respond to someone's "Hello, how are you?" now do you? Keep it solid, but above all, keep it real. Sometimes a short post will be the best option, but only sometimes.

Dont'chu worry about that, I'm very much a detailed writer even if you didn't ask me.

Dont'chu worry about that, I'm very much a detailed writer even if you didn't ask me.

I noticed from the links you sent me xD  it's more of a general warning. And while I like detailed posts, people seem to forget their common sense at home the moment some one says this is "detailed", and the RP becomes an unbearable series of massive inner monologues about things that don't matter to anyone present, all for the purpose of making a long "detailed" reply.

I was in that aforementioned Yugioh RP, and I also have an interest in this one. I like the GX setting much more than the other one.

But first, I have a few questions:

1. Will there be exams? In the old GBA games, there were exams taken every month, which consisted of a written exam, a timed duel and a practical exam and graded out of 100/100/300 for 500 points total. The written exam consisted of questions about specific cards or their interactions, (always multiple choice) the timed exam was a puzzle of sorts where you needed to win in one turn in a given situation, (though you could look at all face-downs, your opponent's hand and your deck) and a practical exam was a regular duel. Your test scores were put on display for the school to see, and it could determine whether you demoted or promoted within the three dorms. I take it there's no entrance exam, since we get to choose which dorms to put our characters in, but will there be exams to advance/demote, or as general schoolwork?
  2. What's the difference between a duelist and a deck builder? Why can't anyone but deck builders have multiple decks?
  3. Is there a character limit?
  4. What are your thoughts on custom cards?

I was in that aforementioned Yugioh RP, and I also have an interest in this one. I like the GX setting much more than the other one.

1. Will there be exams? In the old GBA games, there were exams taken every month, which consisted of a written exam, a timed duel and a practical exam and graded out of 100/100/300 for 500 points total. The written exam consisted of questions about specific cards or their interactions, (always multiple choice) the timed exam was a puzzle of sorts where you needed to win in one turn in a given situation, (though you could look at all face-downs, your opponent's hand and your deck) and a practical exam was a regular duel. Your test scores were put on display for the school to see, and it could determine whether you demoted or promoted within the three dorms. I take it there's no entrance exam, since we get to choose which dorms to put our characters in, but will there be exams to advance/demote, or as general schoolwork?
  2. What's the difference between a duelist and a deck builder? Why can't anyone but deck builders have multiple decks?

Character limit is two, that's been mentioned.

Hmmm, I'll be honest, I hadn't thought about how we were going to handle the exams. I was initially thinking of giving some disregard to all forms of examination (meaning they exist and take place, but we don't go over them in too much detail). HOWEVER, if a character or role-player wants/needs emphasis on one or more of the specific exams, we would play them out in more detail.  Didn't give much thought to this, so a better idea might take place in the near future.

I think I didn't express myself correctly, regarding decks, sorry about that. Duelists can have more than one deck (in your form, however I only need to see your "main" deck). Deck Builders must have a good amount of them, since it's what they do.

All in all, Duelists CAN have more than one deck, Deck Builders MUST have more than one deck

Character limit is 2 like it was mentioned before

By custom cards you mean what, cards specifically made for us/someone?

Hmmm, I'll be honest, I hadn't thought about how we were going to handle the exams. I was initially thinking of giving some disregard to all forms of examination (meaning they exist and take place, but we don't go over them in too much detail). HOWEVER, if a character or role-player wants/needs emphasis on one or more of the specific exams, we would play them out in more detail.  Didn't give much thought to this, so a better idea might take place in the near future.

I think I didn't express myself correctly, regarding decks, sorry about that. Duelists can have more than one deck (in your form, however I only need to see your "main" deck). Deck Builders must have a good amount of them, since it's what they do.

All in all, Duelists CAN have more than one deck, Deck Builders MUST have more than one deck

By custom cards, he means allowing players to create cards of their own. Say, for example, something like this:

Name: Chaos Emissary - Emperor Dragon Omega
Level: 10
Attribute: DARK
Monster Type: Dragon/Effect
Effect: Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must first be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 LIGHT and 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard. You cannot attack directly the turn you Special Summon this card. Once per turn, before you attack, you can pay 1000 LP to banish one card from both players' hand, field and Graveyard.
ATK/DEF: 3000/2500

Eh, I understand the desire to keep schoolwork to negligible levels, even if it has potential.

That still doesn't explain the difference between a duelist and a deck builder.

I'm thinking of adapting the character I made for that first RP, since it never really got anywhere, and as it was mentioned there, he has a brother complex, and I was wondering how fleshed out of an NPC I could make that brother, or if I need to have him as a character for anything about him to matter. I suppose I could also discard him and make another character, though I'd need to go back to the drawing board and make more decks to do so.

And as Ammokkx said, custom cards are custom cards. I can't say that's the best example, but maybe that's just my Trishula hate talking. What I'm thinking of are new, unique deck compositions, revolving around something and synergizing with existing cards. There's a lot of unrealized potential in Yu-gi-oh, such as Magical Hats triggering spell/trap cards by sending them to the grave, (making the guessing game of magical hats actually useful- the thing is, few spells/traps bring effects useful enough to bring the card along) or a deck focused on face-down attack position monsters currently only possible with the useless Darkness Approaches. Such freedom to craft a deck for a specific character allows for a nicely coherent theme that existing cards may not be able to offer.

Eh, I understand the desire to keep schoolwork to negligible levels, even if it has potential.

That still doesn't explain the difference between a duelist and a deck builder.

I'm thinking of adapting the character I made for that first RP, since it never really got anywhere, and as it was mentioned there, he has a brother complex, and I was wondering how fleshed out of an NPC I could make that brother, or if I need to have him as a character for anything about him to matter. I suppose I could also discard him and make another character, though I'd need to go back to the drawing board and make more decks to do so.

And as Ammokkx said, custom cards are custom cards. I can't say that's the best example, but maybe that's just my Trishula hate talking. What I'm thinking of are new, unique deck compositions, revolving around something and synergizing with existing cards. There's a lot of unrealized potential in Yu-gi-oh, such as Magical Hats triggering spell/trap cards by sending them to the grave, (making the guessing game of magical hats actually useful- the thing is, few spells/traps bring effects useful enough to bring the card along) or a deck focused on face-down attack position monsters currently only possible with the useless Darkness Approaches. Such freedom to craft a deck for a specific character allows for a nicely coherent theme that existing cards may not be able to offer.

A deck builder is just that; They build decks. They have vast knowledge of the game and how cards work together, so they put their all into crafting new decks that would be mass produced and be given to the general public as a pick-up-and-play kind of thing. They're the ones who make structure decks, 'official' decks and so on. If there would be a videogame, they're the ones who would design the decks the NPC's would use and which is at an appropriate level of power for the point of the game. On the other hand, Duelists are focused on actually... dueling. Their decks aren't for the public, instead they're for themselves. Picking up a pro's deck wouldn't inherently teach you anything, unlike what the deck builders make.

The thing is, their job doesn't sound like something an appropriate duelist or card maker couldn't do. Part of being a duelist is building decks, and one's ability to do so directly affects their success. Duelists need strategy/skill, from building their decks to executing them. Card makers need intimate knowledge of the game and its balancing. One little card can completely break an archetype if they aren't careful. Deck builders... need what the other two should already have. They aren't even doing anything special; most (Every single one I've seen) structure decks or video game NPC decks have very obvious flaws for no good reason. (Upstart Goblin in a deck with more than 40 cards, low quantities of key cards even if they're common, random cards that simply don't work well with the deck they're in, etc. I simply don't see what the academy would be training them for that needs extra years of instruction. If anything, it seems like a job for duelists that couldn't become professional.

The thing is, their job doesn't sound like something an appropriate duelist or card maker couldn't do. Part of being a duelist is building decks, and one's ability to do so directly affects their success. Duelists need strategy/skill, from building their decks to executing them. Card makers need intimate knowledge of the game and its balancing. One little card can completely break an archetype if they aren't careful. Deck builders... need what the other two should already have. They aren't even doing anything special; most (Every single one I've seen) structure decks or video game NPC decks have very obvious flaws for no good reason. (Upstart Goblin in a deck with more than 40 cards, low quantities of key cards even if they're common, random cards that simply don't work well with the deck they're in, etc. I simply don't see what the academy would be training them for that needs extra years of instruction. If anything, it seems like a job for duelists that couldn't become professional.

Because this is the YGO verse where Yuzu can fuck up Fusion summoning for a week and pendulum into Xyz was apparently an impressive thing.

This is becoming a bit more complex than what I had envisioned, since I started this with a very causal mindset.

The thing I had in mind when the idea of "Deck Builder" came to my head was simply to provide a function for those who actually don't like dueling that much.

And In the lines of what was said above, making decks for the general public is not about giving them a good deck only. Structure decks are not perfect, but a pro can bring out the best of one and a beginner can pick out all the game's essential information out of one. Not to mention the ability of a deck to be upgraded without discarding it's original concept.

Maybe I am overestimating all of these factors, mostly because my favorite thing in the game is to build decks and keep away from actually dueling, and because I've been away from yugioh for a long time, and a lot of new things, concepts and rules have been going around, and I know little to nothing about them.

All in all, I can't really defend my position logically, because I added this for the sake of flavor and interaction. As a matter effect: "If anything, it seems like a job for duelists that couldn't become professional." Is something most could/would be quite touchy about, and common mockery towards them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back