• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Yrantan adventures (Completed)

- Trust the elf and demand him released.

If she had been born and raised in Yranta, Anna thought that maybe she would believe in the guard's story. But it was all too hysterical, too dramatic; it sounded too perfectly aligned with their prejudiced ideas about his race. And while she didn't know the elf well enough to trust him entirely either, his story made more logical sense. It was quite easy to imagine a group of rowdy men attacking a dark elf for no reason at all... it wouldn't be what the people wanted to hear, but she believed him. With her fists clenched so tightly she could feel her nails digging into her palms, she stood a little straighter and tried to brace herself for whatever might happen.

"I cannot allow this to go on any longer. You've given me no reason to doubt this elf's claims." Anna declared, resolute. "Release him at once."

"You can't-" The guards tried to protest.
"I can as I just proved to you. Do it. Now." Anna was confident she had the upper hand here.
The guards protested for a couple more seconds but then gave up and extremely roughly unlocked the chains on the elf's hands. He slumped on the platform, having no strength to stand. Anna quickly hopped up, and knelt beside him, moving a strand of silver hair from his face. He was breathing and didn't seem gravely injured, only beaten and exhausted. He would need medical help that she doubted anyone in the city was willing to provide.

- Would she bring the elf to her home?
- Or leave him there?

As soon as the chains clattered away Anna's shoulders slumped a little in relief. Thankfully, it looked like with a little assistance the elf would be all right. She wasn't sure she could say the same about her reputation as chairman, but a person's life was certainly more important than that.

Still, even if they weren't life-threatening, the elf's injuries must feel awful. If he had been trying to stay in the inn he doubted he had anywhere else to go, and leaving him here alone would just be cruel. Still conscious of any eyes still on her and eager to be far away from here, she gave herself an encouraging nod; the only thing to do was take him with her. With a few mental apologies to Levon, Anna tried to gently pull the elf to his feet -- they might have a little trouble if he couldn't support himself at all. "Do you think you can walk...?"

"I can." The elf said, tried to take a step, then stumbled. He looked like a hurt panther, still too proud to ask for aid. Anna took his arm and slung it over her shoulder in order to support his weight.

The way home was difficult and took more than an hour. It would've taken more if Nate hadn't met them on the entrance of the administration district. Anna was still quite angry at him, but didn't refuse his help. He asked a lot of questions as they half carried half dragged the exhausted elf between them. Nate mentioned some old voodoo story about dark elves being the creatures of the demonic world or something similar and Anna gave him a glare. She never thought them any different from other elves, or from humans. Appearance-wise maybe, but overall they were all creatures of flesh struggling to survive on the same planet.

The three of them came through the front yard of the Penrose residence and through the main doors, where waited the new steward, seemingly unfazed by their state.
"I prepared a room for your guest, Madam." Levon said before Anna could speak.
"How could you..." She started, but the steward turned around and walked forward, beckoning for them to follow.
"Let's just hurry, he's heavier than he looks!" Nate complained, his breathing labored.
They walked through the hallway on the right and into the closest room. The bed was made and one of the maids stood next to it with a wet cloth and bandages. The whole room smelled of medical alcohol.
"Lay him there, Madam." Levon motioned at the bed, but didn't really try to help the two of them.
They put the elf on the white sheaths, which would soon be stained by disinfectant and blood probably, and the maid approached the bed.
"We should leave Mary alone. As I am aware, she used to be a military medic, I'm sure we will only be a hindrance if we stay here." Levon stated, all formal.
"Yeah." Nate agreed, wiping the sweat off his forehead. "I need something cold to drink." And he walked through the bedroom door with the steward.

- Anna chose to follow them.
- Anna chose to stay and help Mary.

Anna paused in the bedroom's doorway, but after a few moments decided against staying. She had no real medical experience, so she'd surely just get in the way; Levon was right to say it was best to leave him in Mary's capable hands. Closing the door quietly behind her, she followed after Levon and Nate. As she walked, she glanced down at her no doubt disheveled dress and let out a heavy exhale. With the excitement mostly over the tiredness was finally starting to hit her -- politics aside, she had helped carry a man a sizable distance.

But looking to the men in front of her, she didn't think she could afford to relax completely just yet. Nate had been a great help just now, but his treatment of her from the day before was still fresh in her mind. And wasn't he meant to be in Adro by now? On top of that, how had Levon known she would be bringing someone back with her...? Anna lightly patted her own cheek in an effort to perk herself up -- she couldn't afford to relax completely just yet.

What was that about?" Nate turned sharply towards Anna as soon as she entered the kitchen. He was leaning on the kitchen counter drinking a pale yellow liquid that could've been lemonade. Levon and any other servants weren't present.
"What do you mean?" Anna asked, trying to sound as calm as possible.
"Do you realize you just dragged a potential mass murderer and a demon spawn to your home?" Nate's furious tone of voice was slightly lessened by his constant pausing to have another swallow of the lemonade.
"That is my business, I believe." Anna scowled, walking up to him very frustrated. "And do you seriously think that you're the one to talk?"
Nate lowered his gaze and then shook his head in resignation. "No. I... I just..." He sighed. "Never mind."
"What-" Anna started, but was interrupted by Levon's appearance on the door.
"Madam, the ledgers were delivered to you while you were out. I think Mr Penrose arranged it so. The courier also said that Mr Penrose demands you read them right away. The first council session you'll need to attend is two days from now and you will need to get acquainted with the matter."
"Right." Nate pushed off from the counter, leaving the glass behind. "I'll be leaving then."

- Stop Nate, there's still some things you need to ask him about.
- Go with Levon to read the ledgers.

It was almost a relief that Levon walked in when he did. Nate was only being confusing -- why did he bother helping her if he was just going to lecture her for it later? Anna felt a bit bad for the thought, but it would be much easier on her if he could just decide to be entirely kind or cruel one way or the other. At least she'd know what to think of him, then.

"... fine. But--" she paused, knowing she wanted to say something before he left but not sure what that should be. Of course, she still had questions for Nate, but he hadn't even apologized for before... while both of their tempers were still high, Anna doubted their conversation would be a productive one. "But I am grateful for your help. Even if you don't believe he deserved it."

With that done, Anna clapped her hands together and directed her attention back to Levon. "Right! Ledgers. Where are they?" She was hardly looking forward to work, but it would be a welcome distraction. And Levon was, hopefully, someone she could speak to without either of them getting upset.

Nate absentmindedly waved a hand in her direction and then walked out of the room. Anna couldn't help but notice a slight slump in his shoulder.

"This way, madam." Levon led her outside of the kitchen out the hallway and up the stairs. Right into her father's study. This once was an intimidating place. Mr Penrose never allowed anyone to disturb him when he was cooped up in here, probably bent over his table, deep into the books. He was a very stern man, practical and dedicated to his job. Despite these traits, he wasn't an unkind father. Quite the contrary, not many had his modern view of the world. Yranta was maybe more advanced than most other city-states, but there was still some prejudice about women handling more complex work than laundry or cooking. With Anna on the council now, things were about to get very heated.

"The ledgers are on the desk, madam." Levon said, ripping her away from her troubling thoughts. "Would you require a refreshment, maybe?"

- Ask for something.

- Just get to work.

- Ask Levon to walk you through the ledgers.

Sliding into what used to be her father's desk chair, Anna frowned at the papers in front of her. While she was hoping it would help keep her mind occupied, just thinking about what was to come was a bit overwhelming. She'd been training for this for years now, so surely she could take it on herself. Despite her tiredness, she'd have to try and stay positive!

She turned to Levon more than ready to tell him not to worry about refreshments, but her dry throat promptly reminded her that she still hadn't had anything to drink after that grueling walk, and she gave him a sheepish smile. "That would be great, thank you. Oh, but could you stay a moment once you come back?" He was probably busy so it felt like a selfish request, but she still had some things to ask him after all.

Levon soon returned to the study, carrying a tray in one hand, his other hand positioned behind his back. His posture was always perfect, his uniform immaculately clean and pressed. He smelled of fresh air and pine. Once he walked into the room, he reached with his left hand and gently placed a glass of peppermint lemonade on the desk in front of Anna. 

"I've given myself a liberty to bring you a desert of the day." He spoke, his voice soft and clear, placing a platter with a slice of chocolate cake on it. "Chocolate will help you focus, madam." Giving her a small, controlled smile, he asked. "Is there anything else you need me to do?"

- Ask for help.

- Ask for something else.

- Dismiss him.

Last edited by a moderator:
A drink was one thing, but he'd even brought her cake as well? Levon was obviously the type to go above and beyond. Just looking at the sweets made her perk up a bit, and her smile grew wider. "Thank you! I'm sure it will help."

Gingerly Anna took a sip of her lemonade, glancing back at the ledgers in front of her with a little more optimism. While she was still uncertain about the job she'd been given, for now it would be better to go through them on her own. Or at least attempt to. And Levon undoubtedly had better things to do with his time, but she was reluctant to let him go right away... There was one thing -- and there were any number of reasonable explanations for her question, she guessed, but the mystery had stuck in her thoughts and refused to budge. "No, I... well, I've just been wondering about something." Anna admitted. ”I was very impressed that you were ready for my arrival with the elf, but how did you know we were coming?"

"Very simple, madam." Levon said, his tone serious. He opened his mouth to explain, but just then there was a knock on the doors and Mary peeked in, not waiting to be invited.

"I'm so sorry to interrupt." The maid stumbled. "But your guest is awake and he requests to see you, miss Penrose."

When Anna and Levon entered the guest bedroom, the elf was propped up against pillows on the bed in a sitting position. His arms were bruised, his lip was cut, his cheekbones swollen and darker than his skin, and he had some bandages around his torso. Broken ribs or something? As Anna walked in, the elf turned to face her. Just then Anna noticed that the elf's chest and arms were bare and couldn't help but wonder who removed his clothes. Was it Mary? Did she need to examine his... whole body? As she felt the heat coming up to her cheeks, she inclined her head at her two employees. She felt that this conversation would go much easier without too many people crowding her guest. He look also told her that he wasn't really a people person.
"Thank you, Levon. Mary. You can leave us now." The steward bowed again and left the room, the maid following, and Anna turned to the elf. "I'm glad to see you awake."
"I remember you." He spoke, his voice still rasping. "You are the girl who warned me about this city." He lowered his eyes. "I should've listened to you. Every human city is the same."
"I'm sorry for what you've been through. People are subject to superstition." She sighed heavily. "If it weren't for the dark elves, they'd discriminate dwarves or wood elves. That's slow to change. But, hey." Anna gave a weak smile. "You'll outlive us all. That's something, isn't it?"
"I suppose so." The elf didn't smile. He had that sort of a face when you see it you doubt whether he ever smiled in his life. He looked at the girl again and somewhat gentler said. "My name is Nerith. Thank you for today. As soon as I get my equipment back I will be on my way."

- Ask him where is he going.
- Tell him there's no need to hurry.
- Ask how is he feeling.
- Agree with him.

While she couldn't say he was friendly, Nerith didn't seem like a bad person at all. There was some relief in the further proof that she'd done the right thing, but it was more sad that he'd been attacked to begin with.

"You're welcome to stay as long as you need. And if I can help somehow, I'll try. I'm sure you'd rather leave as soon as possible, but it might be difficult to travel with those injuries..." At that she averted her eyes again, remembering the state of dress he was in and trying not to get too flustered. But after what he'd gone through in Yranta, Anna couldn't blame him for wanting to go. Despite all the responsibilities she'd suddenly accumulated, she still wished she could go too.

Nerith only nodded. Anna lingered for a few moments unsure what else to ask him, while the awkward silence stretched between them.
"Does it hurt?" She asked, just to fill the silence.
"What?" Elf asked looking at her with his dark blue eyes. Anna pointed towards the bandages around his torso.
"No." He lowered his gaze down. "Your... servant said my ribs are not broken, only cracked. The rest are just bruises."
Anna couldn't help but notice again his muscular bare chest and arms. Minus the injuries, his skin was of perfect smoothness, bluish-gray and glowing in the light of the candles. She followed the strands of his silver hair down to his shoulders. And then she realized that she was staring, again. Raising her eyes, she met elf's blue ones and froze. She had to say something.

- Ask what's he doing in Yrantha.
- Ask how he entered Yrantha.
- Excuse yourself and leave.

Well, cracked ribs still sounded quite painful, but it was good that he had no injuries more serious than that. Uncertain about how to proceed, Anna absentmindedly tugged on a piece of her hair -- she might be pushing her luck, but trying for a little more conversation couldn't hurt. And it would be less rude than just running off... right?

"If I can ask, why did you come here? You must have had some reason." she asked, noting that he hadn't mentioned anything about it yet. Maybe Yranta's true racist nature wasn't well-known to outsiders, but it sounded like Nerith had similar problems in other mostly human-populated cities. Why would he risk entering a place like this, especially if he had bad experiences before?

Nerith's face was a mask of emotionlessness. When Anna asked her question he sat silent for a while, probably thinking about which parts were polite to say and which parts he didn't want a stranger to find out. He extended one hand to the end table and took a glass of water. Sipping it slowly, he closed his eyes. There was something calming in the way he moved. Something that was in common to all of the elven race it seemed. Dark elves weren't so much different from them, after all.
"This city was the closest in vicinity." He said after swallowing. And then seeing Anna's perplexed face, added. "I needed a library."
"What for?" Anna asked.
"Research." Elf said simply and by his tone it was obvious that he was done with the subject. Anna wanted to be polite and not pry just yet. So she nodded affirmatively.
"Alright, Nerith. It's late and I'm sure that you need sleep. I will leave you to it." She turned around and lingered on the doors just to say. "Good night."

The night was far from over for her though. The stack of accounts still lay on her father's desk in the library. Anna tried to get through them from various points, always getting stuck. When she finally closed one of the books in frustration, which snuffed out the candle on the desk, someone knocked on the door. Anna jumped up, startled, but quickly calmed down.
"Yes?"
"Madam." Levon opened the door. "I heard some noise from this room." His gaze stopped on the smoking candle. "Let me relight that."
"Sure." Anna shrugged and the steward entered, swiftly grabbing one of the candles mounted on the wall and then lit the one on the desk. His eyes shifted to the heavy books in front of the girl.
"Are the books proving difficult, madam?"
"You have no idea." Anna groaned, resting her head in her palms.
"Maybe I can be of some assistance?" Levon asked, lingering by the desk. "I used to be a banker in Ulmo. I admit, it is not the same as law and military finance... but, it is concerning money." His thin lips stretched into a smile.

- Let him help.
- Or don't?

Anna gave the books another weary glance and a heavy sigh -- she thought she'd be able to best them, but perhaps she had overestimated herself. Perhaps her father had, too, if he thought she'd be all right taking over his position at the drop of a hat. As disappointed in herself as she was thinking about it that way, it was lucky that she someone else around. Just the idea of assistance was enough to alleviate some of her stress.

"A banker? Really?" she asked, tilting her head at him thoughtfully; Levon seemed very dedicated to his role as a steward, so it was a little difficult to imagine him in another line of work. Still, she returned his smile -- being a banker might suit him, too.

"You're very kind, Levon. I was hoping I could do this on my own, but... I really could use some help." Maybe it was because they were alone at such an hour, or because he had been so nice to her all day, but Anna found herself more embarrassed than she thought she'd be to take him up on his offer.

"Of course, madam." Levon still had that smile on his face. It was very kind, but there was something weird about it too, like he wore that smile as a mask, so used to it that he sometimes forgot to take it off.

It was a quarter to midnight when Levon closed the last ledger. They've been at it for almost two hours and Anna felt her legs and arms go numb. She stretched on her chair, just now becoming aware of how close to her the steward sat. He was leaning over a piece of paper, writing some numbers as a reminder.
"We can continue tomorrow, madam. It is very late." He said, glancing at her, their faces only a few inches apart.
"Sure." Anna muttered, leaning backwards into the chair. Levon left the quill next to the paper.
"We only went over the basics here, but with this amount of work, you'll be able to completely understand the balance of the income and cost of upkeep of your jurisdiction by tomorrow evening." He offered her another self-satisfied smile and then stood up. "I will escort you to your room." And he took the candle in one arm, gesturing with the other for her to go first.

- Go to your room alone.
- Go to your room with Levon.
- Eat something before going to bed.

Anna resisted the urge to groan -- it had taken that long to get through just the basics? Her future of bureaucracy was looking less and less pleasant by the minute. Although she could only imagine how much worse it would have been if she really had attempted it by herself...

Forcing her tired muscles to move Anna got to her feet, but before taking another step she paused; they'd been so focused on work that, aside from her lemonade and single cake slice, she hadn't had much to eat or drink. Of course eating late at night was a bad habit to get into, but she could at least get a glass water or something. And maybe a little, tiny snack.

"Oh, thank you, but actually I think I'll go downstairs and get a drink first." she waved a hand. Besides, while he probably thought it was his duty to walk her to her room, he must be pretty tired himself and she'd hate to keep him up longer. "You've done more than enough for me today. I would have been working until morning if you weren't here!"

Levon looked heartbroken. His perfect posture slumped for a second, but he quickly remembered himself and straightened. He looked at Anna and then bowed deeply. "It would be my honor to prepare a meal for you, madam." Then he stood straight, his eyes not leaving Anna's for a second. For a humble servant, he really liked making eye contact with her. "Please, do not think me tired. It is my duty and my pleasure to be of assistance to you." Then his even tone took on a pouting note. "Unless you'd rather be alone, of course."

- Eat with Levon.

- Eat alone.

For a second Anna was taken aback -- she hadn't expected him to be upset! "No, I--" she started, finding it difficult to return his direct stare for very long. It felt a little strange that Levon seemed so disappointed, but maybe he was just even more serious about his duties than she'd thought. That still sounded fairly far-fetched, but any other motives she could think of were almost equally unlikely... her imagination would run wild if she let it, so Anna did her best to focus on reality for now.

"Well, if it's really alright with you... I'll gladly accept your offer." she relented, hoping to reassure him with a smile. "But I wouldn't blame you for being tired. We've both had a very long day, after all!"

"I do not get tired, madam." Levon said, his tone very serious. "Otherwise I wouldn't be much of a steward." There was a faint glint in his eyes when he spoke, like he knew a secret that no one else did.

The two of them walked downstairs into the kitchen, and Anna didn't have time to speak, when Levon hurried up to the pantry and brought out fresh salad leaves and tomatoes. He chopped them up and put them in a bowl and then took out some cold roasted chicken from the cooler and separated the meat from the bones, carefully adding it into the mix. Finally he put in some seasonings and a white salad dressing, mixed it all up and arranged a portion of the salad on a plate. It all looked very pretty, almost a shame to eat it. Levon placed the plate in front of Anna, but didn't take a portion for himself. He just stood next to the kitchen table, his head inclined slightly. 

"I hope it will be to your taste, madam." And then he went back into the pantry, taking out a bottle of white wine and glass, pouring it and placing it next to the plate. That satisfied smile was again on his lips.

- Eat and go to bed.

- Tell Levon he should eat too.

- Thank Levon and dismiss him.

It felt like the food was placed in front of her almost as soon as she took a seat at the table, and Anna couldn't help but look at Levon with a little awe. Was it possible for one person to be so good at so many things? Finally realizing she was staring, she hurriedly directed her attention back to her plate and took a sip of her wine. "It looks great! Thank you."

Although, she had to admit, she felt a little self-conscious with him just standing there and watching her eat... "You're welcome to join me, if you like." Anna piped up before taking her first bite, although she had her doubts that he would. But even if stewards didn't get tired, allegedly, they must still get hungry. Right...?

"Thank you, madam." Levon said, and it felt for a moment like he might take her up on the offer. "I am not hungry." He added after a second, with a smile. And it ended at that. Anna ate in silence and Levon stood and watch, like a soldier standing in front of his commanding officer. Still, there was that weird look on Levon's face again. A hint of envy.

Half an hour later the two of them walked through darkened hallways. Apparently the servants had already extinguished the candles and Anna realized that it was a good idea she let Levon escort her, otherwise she'd stumble in the dark.
He walked silently behind her, holding the candle high so she could see a few steps in front. Just now she realized how incredibly tall he was. His raised hand was in the height of her head. Well, maybe she was only really short. As they turned a corner, Anna stopped, recognizing the doors of her bedroom. She didn't very much like maids going into her room and helping her dress and undress and she always did it alone, unlike the rest of the ladies her age. Thus, she turned around to face Levon, who stood a step behind her.
"Thank you for your help tonight." She said with a smile. "And thank you for escorting me."
"You're welcome, madam." Levon bowed. He was clearly expecting to come inside, but was too polite to suggest it. The other servants were fast asleep anyway and the candles in her room weren't lit. She'd had to do it by herself or just slip in the bed without changing clothes. Or she could invite Levon to do all the menial tasks, which would mean letting him inside her room, and she couldn't help but feel that was slightly inappropriate.

- Don't let him in.
- Let him in.

While he hadn't said as much, Levon's intentions were fairly clear. It was a little surprising -- wasn't that a bit bold? Surely, as a professional, even he'd prefer for a maid to undress her if it had to be done at all. But from what Anna had come to learn about him, it wasn't hard to imagine him insisting on helping her with even her dressing. She flushed a little at the prospect -- no, no, that was too much! Even if he gave her a sad look or pouted, she wasn't going to budge on this one!

"Right, well..." Slowly she opened her door and stepped into the gap, keeping her hand on the door itself as she mulled over the best way to express herself. She gave Levon a firm nod. "I'm just going to go to sleep, so you're... dismissed. Good night!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back