• Before posting a question, please check our Frequently Asked Questions page as well as previous threads here. Odds are you aren't the first to ask, and you may find the answer without having to post!

Your Feedback on Signatures

What would you like to see? (Please read, so you know what the choices fully mean)

• Leave as is.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Remove from RPs, but leave everywhere else.

• Remove from the entire site.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
[QUOTE="Ker'ion]Yes, how often is this occurring?
And if people can turn off the signature areas, why are they trying to block it for everyone?

Set an option for users to chose on/off/ off in the rp areas and call it good.

[/QUOTE]
Here, here!!! If this is indeed an option I am all for this. As I have gotten older I have grown far more tolerant but there are somethings I am completely intolerant of. One is people who call for censorship of things like web sites or TV shows when the simple solution is not to visit those sites or channels, if they are offended--thereby leaving said programming for those that utilize or enjoy it. This is akin to that, if there is an option to turn them off I respectfully would ask those complaining to get off their lazy duffs and make use of it and not ruin things for others because they don't like something. Sorry if that comes off as harsh or rude but I am not fond of people who want to tramp on the rights of others when the fix is so simple. It is one of the few remaining things that infuriate me.

Has anyone conformed that this function exists? I have not yet looked myself but I suppose I will here shortly.

Scandinavian said:
I put in "leave as is" in lieu of my true first preference, which is:
*Nuke pictures altogether.
you will take my professor fluttershy avatar and option on character art from my cold dead hands :P

Taliesin said:
you will take my professor fluttershy avatar and option on character art from my cold dead hands :P
Nuke pictures from the signature. I figured that was understood given the thread subject.

Just something to note, we administrators are not Xenforo Programmers or Addon Programmers. We have our limitations on what we can do. Some signature solutions presented here we can perform because we can do some CSS and PHP edits. We can also do some limitation on what BBcodes are allowed in signatures (in theory) but beyond that we are stuck with what is default in Xenforo.

So we would have to test certain solutions here to see if they would even be possible without an addon (and custom addons need to be commissioned and paid for typically).

[QUOTE="Ker'ion]
Set an option for users to chose on/off/ off in the rp areas and call it good.

[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately we cannot do that, this would be one of those things that would require an addon to be developed (else we would have to duck-tape something together and even if it did work it would most likely break in the future). We don't really have the expertise or the money to hire that expertise (at least for this issue) at this time.

But individuals can still choose to simply not SEE signatures. If spoiler tags are allowed in signatures (something I am about to go test), we should definitely leave them and simply add to the site rules that signatures longer than X or that contain .gifs MUST be spoilered to be less than that size.

(Note - apparently spoilers do not work in sigs. They do in the sig preview tool, though. There IS an option to turn off viewing signatures. Spoilers in sigs should be a basic thing, I can't imagine why it's not supported by default without any custom work needed... it's a good idea on LOTS of forums.)

Last edited by a moderator:
JayTee said:
Wait, you can already turn off signatures manually?
GG everyone, problem solved! ;)
Yup.

Select or hover over your avatar / name at the top of the page

Select Preferences

Option, the second section, includes checkbox "Show people's signatures with their messages"

Set it and forget it

[QUOTE="ak-73]Signatures are incredibly useful for providing a quick link to my character sheet. Both useful for me and the GM, I think.

[/QUOTE]
Mhmm.

This is why I link all my characters in my signature. Not the games I'm in, but specifically to the character sheet; I find it helpful for quick access to my numbers, and some of my GMs have said they find it useful too.

Cirno said:
Yup.
Select or hover over your avatar / name at the top of the page

Select Preferences

Option, the second section, includes checkbox "Show people's signatures with their messages"

Set it and forget it
Yep there it is--that should solve the issue IMO---don't like em, then turn them off, could not be easier. And no reason to deny them to those that like them.

gatherer818 said:
But individuals can still choose to simply not SEE signatures. If spoiler tags are allowed in signatures (something I am about to go test), we should definitely leave them and simply add to the site rules that signatures longer than X or that contain .gifs MUST be spoilered to be less than that size.
(Note - apparently spoilers do not work in sigs. They do in the sig preview tool, though. There IS an option to turn off viewing signatures. Spoilers in sigs should be a basic thing, I can't imagine why it's not supported by default without any custom work needed... it's a good idea on LOTS of forums.)
What I was refeering to was the ability to turn off signatures for a specific forum (such as RP forums) in the User panel. We would need to custom code that and I don't know if we would have the complete know-how to do that.

As for spoilers in signatures: spoilers are handled as a lump-sum with other BBcodes. We cannot specify just spoiler tags within Xenforo, but we will look into what we can do.

I agree with the use of showing or not showing signatures. If you do or do not wish to see them, then you have your preference while leaving other players and STs their own preference - a harmonious solution for all.

As for STs who are bothered by players who advertise all of their games, why shouldn't people display games they are proud to be in? Why be offended? Should not a ST be proud when a player puts a link to their game(s) and others? What is this? A competition? Of course not. Let each gamer decide to see or not see signatures while the ST focuses instead on bringing the best game to the screen possible.

To me, signatures are a form of expression. Signatures are art. I agree that too large a signature (or a signature with distracting elements - like moving pictures) can take away from an experience. However, I am also of the opinion that if your game is strong enough, then the feelings and atmosphere the game provides will be the glue of interest that keeps your players with you. No amount of distraction will take an interested audience from a good story. A hooked reader will close the door on the entire planet Earth
just to be alone with a good story. Even at the cost of sleep and food and other necessities, until the final words of that story are discovered.

Do not worry about other STs and their games. Do not "shorten another's line". Instead, lengthen your own. =)

Honor and fun,

Dannigan

Dannigan said:
I agree with the use of showing or not showing signatures. If you do or do not wish to see them, then you have your preference while leaving other players and STs their own preference - a harmonious solution for all.
As for STs who are bothered by players who advertise all of their games, why shouldn't people display games they are proud to be in? Why be offended? Should not a ST be proud when a player puts a link to their game(s) and others? What is this? A competition? Of course not. Let each gamer decide to see or not see signatures while the ST focuses instead on bringing the best game to the screen possible.

To me, signatures are a form of expression. Signatures are art. I agree that too large a signature (or a signature with distracting elements - like moving pictures) can take away from an experience. However, I am also of the opinion that if your game is strong enough, then the feelings and atmosphere the game provides will be the glue of interest that keeps your players with you. No amount of distraction will take an interested audience from a good story. A hooked reader will close the door on the entire planet Earth
just to be alone with a good story. Even at the cost of sleep and food and other necessities, until the final words of that story are discovered.

Do not worry about other STs and their games. Do not "shorten another's line". Instead, lengthen your own. =)

Honor and fun,

Dannigan
Well Said, Sir!

Thanks for everyone for sharing their opinions. We will considered everyone's feedback when or if we decide to make any decision on the matter.

Of course if any changes do happen we will all let you know. Though at this time, we do not expect any major changes to functionality with signatures. Though some issues discussed in this thread will be examined to make sure we patch any needed issues (if possible).

As always report any signature abuse to the staff and if you have any further suggestions, make a new thread in this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back