Your favorite "Hero Archetype"?

DemetrioMachete

Messiah of the New Night
<p>

Aka the sequel to the Villain Archetype. What makes you like a Hero? Me personally, I have two favorites. The first is the Hero Underdog, the one that has to push himself to every last limit and then break them in order to overcome his foes. The primary example would be Som Goku, from the Dragonball Series. The second would be the overly powerful Hero that faces an existiential crisis. They have all this power, but they either struggle to use it responsibly, or do not derive enjoyment from their strength. Examples include Superman (DC Comics) and Saitama (One Punch Man).

</p>

Last edited by a moderator:
The Anti-Hero baby!

I normally don't really strive for White Knights. Nothing wrong with them, I just find them boring. To be truthful, I used to make them constantly and I think I've made so many to the point that I've gotten sick of them really. Even in video games I find myself striving farther and farther away from it. There's just something I find fascinating about anti-heroes in a sense. When they do something right, there's more justification than just the simple 'because it's the right thing to do.', normally there's something much much deeper driving them, pushing them to their limits.

One type of 'hero' I enjoy are those that at the beginning chose to make a 'not-so-good' decision that could have potentially placed them into the situation of them having to face an antagonist in the first place. As this hero develops and grows to accept his past mistakes and decisions and how he chooses to use it to either his advantage or to develop a new relationship with a character provides me with a refreshing way in viewing 'heroes'.

And also my other favorite is where the 'hero' wishes not to be a 'hero' but ends up becoming a hero or staying a hero, if this makes any sense at all... (more of a comedic stand against hero archetypes)

The Noir hero is definitely my favourite: "The Noir hero is a knight in blood caked armor. He's dirty and he does his best to deny the fact that he's a hero the whole time." -Frank Miller

I am a card carrying member of the sweaty fangirl legion dedicated to the Superhero Ideal.

That character that represents all the best aspects of ourselves and an inspiration to the citizens of their world/city to be better people. The one that is unfailingly optimistic and believes genuinely in the goodness of people ( on camera anyway )

Examples : Flash, Supergirl, Superman

I don't know this counts as a hero but I really love The Heroic Villain, or to be more specific the hero that willingly plays the villain thus destroying their reputation just to further the cause of the common good. Characters like these are the best as unlike the ideal hero who's okay with only giving up his or her life's The Heroic Villain is willing to give up his or her honor and life for the greater good.

Example: The Boss

I love heroes who are forced to do horrible things for the sake of good.

But, I guess that's less of the hero themselves and rather the situations they're placed in.

I definitely gotta love the anti-hero. "I'm doing x because it's right!" gets really repetitive, and frankly, probably isn't super realistic. At least in mass amounts. It's repetitive because if you're doing it for the right thing, that's just unwaveringly one motivation. One reason. Ulterior motives have so many more possibilities, and it allows for so many more types of personalities! Although, you can have a lot of different personality types that would do something "because it's right," most people don't consider it. But then again, doing the right things for the wrong reasons would probably still count as anti-hero.

One of my favorites is Kei from Ajin. A bunch of spoilers to follow, so if you planned on reading/watching it, then look out!

He has some of the classic symptoms of psychopathy- he has no empathy for others, couldn't care less what happens to his friends, is totally self-absorbed. But he acts politely and does his best to stay out of trouble, so at first he seems like a sweety. His sister says he's a horrible person when questioned, but no one believes her, including the audience. And it's not because everyone is an idiot being fooled while the charmer manipulates them in order to steal from them or etc. Kei really does try to stay out of trouble! He just can't understand other people. When trouble inevitably finds him and he's forced to run from the government and some terrorists, he goes out of his way to act normal, even trying to save a bystander being caught in the line of fire while he's hunted. And then, when he finds a good hiding spot in a quiet town and some kid finds him and tries to convince him to fight back against the terrorists, Kei does the right thing... and locks the kid in an abandoned semi-truck for a really long time, to preserve his peaceful life.
Or Bakugo from My Hero Academy (more spoilers, although I'm not caught up)-

If the manga followed stereotypes and cliches, then Bakugo would definitely end up a villain. He has all the tell-tale signs- he's violent, explosive, made fun of the main character when they were kids, his power is making things explode. Hell, some of the other characters have said he's scary or has a villain-like personality. But he continues to keep his actions on the hero side of the line, and is determined to become one. Like Kei he has a shit personality, but unlike him he's genuinely aiming to be the top hero. And honestly, I'll be surprised (and kind of disappointed) if he does end up a villain in the story.

I'm a big fan of heroics, but I think my favorite hero archetype has to be the one born from a world of a strife or one that has suffered a disaster (not sure what to call it). Either trying to make change happen for the better or given a second chance to prevent the same thing from happening in a hope that to stop it, he's fueled more than by what's right. It's an archetype that can easily crossover with anti-heroes.

I like the Accidental Hero, the one who ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I love Hotblooded Heroes, the kind that fight against all odds and are uber determined.

But I really adore playing Bryonic Heroes, the ones with too many flaws to count and his charismatic as hell and somehow he pulls through, getting fucked up in the process but gets the job done

Tragic Hero all the way! Mostly because this type of Hero is often only a hero in position and not by action. They have that one flaw that will be their undoing. It's a strange dichotomy because you have the idea of a Hero, someone who saves the day or is the protag that has all the solutions, and the reality that this character was always set up to fail. Hamlet is the probably the best known example of this! Also, Byronic heroes are my bread and butter, because they are the more extreme antihero with all the class an antihero lacks!

I adore Byronic Heroes, but I end up playing either Lawful Good or Hotblooded Heroes.

I like playing complex chessmaster-type villains

TyrantKingKuma said:
I adore Byronic Heroes, but I end up playing either Lawful Good or Hotblooded Heroes.
I like playing complex chessmaster-type villains
I Just totally hit the wrong button there but yes!!! Chessmaster villain are so good! I feel like simple villains are boring and the same goes for heroes, gotta be complex or they aren't worth getting super involved in!

Another antagonist archetype Ive learned to like.

Beastly or nonhuman villains.

Some examples would be the Tarrasque from D&D and Godzilla (from a certain point of view.)

A monster whose motives are simple (usually to find some snacks or a temper tantrum) except their fury and hunger decimates civilized folk, whose intelligence and firepower can't match brute strength. They create a sense of hopelessness and fear, as a strong beast is defeating the smart humans, treating them like food.

That alone makes it scary, I believe.

But the kind of hero it takes to defeat these is relatively astounding.

Not only do they have to be smart and find a weakspot, but in the case of the Tarrasque, you also must be stronger than it, since it is immune to most magic. People like Conan and Hulk, brutes with formidable strength but generally mean well in the end.

In another forum I'm currently playing:

• A Hotblooded Boxer
  • A Knightly Half-Beastman
  • A Boisterous Former Action Star
  • An Inexperienced Swordsman
  • A Demented Writer
  • A Batshit Insane Esper Cannibal
  • A Cinic Old Archer
  • An Arrogant Cyborg Mercenary
  • A Calculating Chessmaster
  • And his "Dragon"

TyrantKingKuma said:
In another forum I'm currently playing:
  • A Hotblooded Boxer
  • A Knightly Half-Beastman
  • A Boisterous Former Action Star
  • An Inexperienced Swordsman
  • A Demented Writer
  • A Batshit Insane Esper Cannibal
  • A Cinic Old Archer
  • An Arrogant Cyborg Mercenary
  • A Calculating Chessmaster
  • And his "Dragon"
That is basically one of the best line ups I've seen. And also some are freaking great examples of heroic archetypes!

Maximillian said:
That is basically one of the best line ups I've seen. And also some are freaking great examples of heroic archetypes!
Thanks, these are just my main roster, the ones with individual bios... I have like 40+ NPC from different organizations, groups or just as background characters. I've been working on a single storyline since late 2013, Hopefully I will wrap it up for early 2017 if everybody keeps posting

The Unlikely hero,

Ex.

Vito Scaletta

l25kUYzp.png

Isaac Clarke

UnlikelyHero_-_Isaac.jpg

Big Daddy

UnlikelyHero_-_Big_Daddy.jpg

It's just so heartwarming to see an unlikely hero come out on top.

Speaking of accidental Hero,

I have one, a randomly universe jumping man/woman who gets put in the most fucked up positions.

If i was in his/her shoes i would have been checking everytime i switched genders to see what i was.

Y'know... Just to "See". Wink Wink Nudge Nudge.

In other words, i'd jack off each time i jumped universes. (GG me.)

Just to say i jizzed in a cyberpunk environment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back